PDA

View Full Version : New eBook: An American Song

Victim of Love
06-15-2012, 11:23 PM
I just found an interesting story on Yahoo and will include the link at the end here. But I wanted to give everyone a heads-up because it's got previously unreleased photos of numerous music artists INCLUDING our boys. This link will pull up the interview video with the author and there is more information about the book available there. I'm about to go 'surfing' to see what I can find but wanted to let all of you know about it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-famed-rock-n-roll-photographer-went-electronic-185604287.html

VAisForEagleLovers
06-15-2012, 11:52 PM
Thank you VOL!!! Great find!

This is Mr. Russell's blog...

http://ethanrussell.com/americanstory/?page_id=1310

VAisForEagleLovers
06-16-2012, 12:09 AM
Unfortunately, Soda is out of town, but I'm assuming that if anyone buys this eBook (available on iTunes), especially given that this is a book by a photographer, it would be a copyright infringement to post screen shots here. Since he's a photographer and sales of his book are dependant on never-before-seen pictures, he's more likely to look for violations. IMO. Forums and websites dedicated to the bands would be the first place to look.

Victim of Love
06-16-2012, 01:26 AM
The book is only available as an eBook but I went to readerstore.com and bought it....a whopping $8.31 (including tax), 546 pages and only ONE picture of the Eagles (the first incarnate) and about one page of mention which I skimmed rather quickly while I was clicking thru to look for more pix. I'll go back thru tomorrow and read more carefully but if I read correctly he refers to Desperado as their first album! There is a great deal in the book about the Beatles and Stones but a lot of others get fair mention (Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin). Tomorrow is suppose to be a decent day so I'll sit on the patio a look it over more carefully. For $8 and change it looks like there could be some good stuff to read about his experiences travelling. And yes, the photos are protected -- understandably. But the price isn't so outrageous that most can't get it -- and the Reader Store has a free reader download for all sorts of devices so you don't need a Kindle or anything!

zeldabjr
06-16-2012, 02:39 AM
The book is only available as an eBook but I went to readerstore.com and bought it....a whopping $8.31 (including tax), 546 pages and only ONE picture of the Eagles (the first incarnate) and about one page of mention which I skimmed rather quickly while I was clicking thru to look for more pix. I'll go back thru tomorrow and read more carefully but if I read correctly he refers to Desperado as their first album! There is a great deal in the book about the Beatles and Stones but a lot of others get fair mention (Jackson Browne, Linda Ronstadt, Jim Morrison, Janis Joplin). Tomorrow is suppose to be a decent day so I'll sit on the patio a look it over more carefully. For $8 and change it looks like there could be some good stuff to read about his experiences travelling. And yes, the photos are protected -- understandably. But the price isn't so outrageous that most can't get it -- and the Reader Store has a free reader download for all sorts of devices so you don't need a Kindle or anything!

looking forward to what you think of it after you read more of it..

Victim of Love
06-16-2012, 03:01 PM
Just an FYI for anyone who has followed the link I initially posted...the photo of the Eagles that is included in the article is the only one I saw in my quick scan of the book lastnight. Hoping to get down to some reading shortly and will offer and update later today or tomorrow.

BramwenR
06-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Thank you VOL!!! Great find!

This is Mr. Russell's blog...

http://ethanrussell.com/americanstory/?page_id=1310

Thank you so much for this.

I thought it appropriate for our boys to get a mention.

So I added my blog article about Timothy. :) It's pending approval but wouldn't it be nice that he is immortalised in this eBook. So many stories already added, when I have more time I'll go through and have a look.

I don't have the hardware for an eReader so guess I'll just keep popping back to see what's new.

I really enjoyed the interview with Ethan Russell, what an interesting man!

Topkat
06-17-2012, 09:50 AM
I just found an interesting story on Yahoo and will include the link at the end here. But I wanted to give everyone a heads-up because it's got previously unreleased photos of numerous music artists INCLUDING our boys. This link will pull up the interview video with the author and there is more information about the book available there. I'm about to go 'surfing' to see what I can find but wanted to let all of you know about it.

http://finance.yahoo.com/blogs/daily-ticker/why-famed-rock-n-roll-photographer-went-electronic-185604287.html

This is the type of book that should be printed. It would be a fabulous coffee table book. It's a shame that most books are only eBooks these days because this book of amazing photography would make a beautiful printed piece. It does cost more to make the printed piece, but this would be well worth it. I don't want to read a photography book on an eReader! I'm old school, especially when it comes to art work!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2012, 10:32 AM
This is the type of book that should be printed. It would be a fabulous coffee table book. It's a shame that most books are only eBooks these days because this book of amazing photography would make a beautiful printed piece. It does cost more to make the printed piece, but this would be well worth it. I don't want to read a photography book on an eReader! I'm old school, especially when it comes to art work!

I definitely agree, TK! Since he's asked others to 'contribute', when he gets more of what he's looking for, maybe he'll try the standard publishing method again.

BramwenR
06-17-2012, 09:48 PM
If I recall correctly the reason why he went out on a limb and opted for eBook was because of the backlog of publishing in hard copy and all the red tape associated with it. Also far less expensive and naturally so much more convenient. He just wanted to get it out there as quickly as possible and judging from the reduction from 60,000 units to 5,000 (from his Facebook page) he definitely took the right path.

But I agree, I am old fashioned too and like my photobooks in hard copy, the contributions will pad it out of course. Once he gets maximum sales this way then he can take his time on the hard copy. All in all, good business practice and a wise one..

Victim of Love
06-17-2012, 11:50 PM
Agreed, especially having browsed my 'e' copy. This should definitely be a bound, hard copy book. My apologies that I haven't been able to get more info up here. Our vacation plans got pushed up from Wednesday to tomorrow so I've been up to my neck all day getting everything ready for our departure. I'm taking my laptop and will find some time on the road to read and post some comments. (No, I won't be doing the driving but will have over 1200 miles on the way to get thru it.)

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2012, 12:51 AM
Have fun on your vacation!!