PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Analog Man"

sodascouts
06-08-2012, 01:17 PM
OK, now that I've had a chance to listen to this several times, I have to say I really like it! I think it's Joe's most consistently good album since But Seriously, Folks... That's quite an accomplishment. The only track that I think is a bit weak is "Spanish Dancer" and maybe "India," but even those are far from terrible; they just don't work quite as well as the others.

Analog Man - this is the kind of commentary I love from Joe. It's light-hearted but still fun and catchy. He even manages to avoid sounding like an old fogey as he praises the scritchy-scratch sound of vinyl, whose appeal cannot be deemed as anything other than nostalgia when one plays a track from that format side by side with a CD or MP3 (the big artwork of an old school record is a boon, yes; the sound quality, no). I love the bit about finding an "Analog girl." That also lifts is above old-fogeyness (I think I just made up a new word).

Wrecking Ball - While this is not really a "conversion" song like "One Day at a Time," it certainly gets across a similar message; it's an outside warning from the voice of experience, as he says himself. I especially love the chorus. The extended metaphor is also clever, continuing the theme of "wrecking ball" with "and then you slam into another brick wall."

Lucky That Way - My favorite part is the "started in the middle of nowhere" bit. While the rest of the song isn't as melodic, it still works. I'm in my thirties so I don't have as much life experience to draw from, but I can still totally relate to the line "And the times I thought were the end of the world didn't turn out so bad after all."

Spanish Dancer - As I said earlier, this one kind of seems to stick out - and not in a good way. I don't think Joe really sells the romance of the song. If you want to hear Joe singing sexy, check out "Slow Dancing" from The Confessor and you'll see what I mean. That said, it's not a bad song; I'm just not feelin' it.

Band Played On - Again, a very clever analogy with the Titanic. Once again, tuneful and enjoyable commentary that doesn't come off as preachy.

Family - This song is very pretty and Joe sings it with a lot of heart, but I have to admit, when I hear it I feel a little sad for him. The man has several children but never considered himself to have a family until he married his current wife. Ouch for them, sad for him. Of course, better to focus on the more positive side of that in that he's now happy, and the song itself is very melodic.

One Day at a Time - There are a few interesting changes from the Eagles version and while I miss those Eagles harmonies, this is still really good. I'm very happy he included it on his album, because I've always liked it and thought it was a shame you could only hear it on Farewell 1.

Hi-Roller Baby - What a catchy song! As I was listening to it on the plane yesterday I found myself singing along and tapping my foot. "It could be good..." yeah, I like it!

Funk 50 - way to bring in the history! I feel like this is a reward to James Gang fans, as is the last track of course. The riffs are stellar, as always. Heck, even Joe's suckiest rock songs have good riffs (well, maybe not "Coyote Love.") He's just got that knack - he's just "lucky that way"! lol

India - At first I thought "generic trance music with nothing to distinguish it from anything else in this genre" - but it grew on me. While it's not a favorite, it's still cool.

Fishbone - Sometimes, joke songs annoy me. Sometimes, I absolutely love them. This one falls into the latter category. The fact that it has a great tune is probably the deciding factor, lol.

But I Try - This is a cool novelty and it's neat for him to include him it. Again, a reward for the James Gang fans! Of course, it rocks!

The first Joe album I've had in a long time where I don't find myself wanting to hit "skip" on at least one track.

You go, Joe!

Tori
06-08-2012, 01:55 PM
I completely agree! I don't think I really dislike any of the songs on the album.

Topkat
06-08-2012, 05:35 PM
Soda, I have to disagree with you about the sound on vinyl. If an album is free of scratches, it sounds amazing on a good stereo! There is a richness in the sound of vinyl that is sometimes lost on a cd. I have some cd's that I used to have on vinyl & they are absolutely missing some depth. There is a reason that many albums are now being released on vinyl, and it's not just the nostalgia.
I have not used a turntable in many years but I do recall some of my albums sounding a lot better on vinyl. The ones that have been remastered are better than the originals that came out, but there was a need to "remaster" them due to the depth that is missing on the cd's.

Prettymaid
06-11-2012, 07:58 PM
Soda, I'm glad you made your list first - I have something to compare my thoughts with. I have to agree that none of the songs are bad - there are just some that are a lot better than others.

Analog Man - This is the only song I heard before the album was released and I like it, but because it's so easy to memorize
and the chorus is repetetive (I don't mean that in a bad way) I tend to skip it when I'm pressed for time.

Wrecking Ball - I like this one better than Analog Man.....I really like Joe's voice with background vocals. Who better than the great Joe Walsh to warn others' of the perils of partying too hard!

Lucky That Way - My favorite as of right now, this is how Joe does country. I like the "style and grace" parts. Is that "started in the middle of nowhere" bit knocking the midwest? ;-) I also like the "I'll let you all in on a little secret" part. The first time I heard that part I automatically leaned in. LOL!

Spanish Dancer - Okay, how many of us thought he was going to say "sweet smell of colitas" during that first verse? (Ha ha) And hey, what's Funk 50 doing in the middle of this song? ;-) Okay, Funk 50 is further into the album, but clearly this is two songs stuck together. Does it work? Not to my ears.

Band Played On - The first few times I listened to the album I figured this must be India, because of how it starts with the sitar. I like Joe's quote in the liner notes; " So you might say there is some social
commentary in this song." Ya think, Joe? LOL! Again, I really like the sound of Joe with background vocals during the "and the band played on" part.

Family - The melody of this song is very pretty, like Pretty Maids All In A Row, but I don't like this as much as PMAIAR. I can't help but think about how good Marjorie seems for Joe when I hear this.

One Day At a Time - My second favorite -not my very favorite probably only because it's not 'new' - this one's got a great tune and great vocals. I think I like this version better and unlike Soda, I think I like the harmonies here better.

High Roller Baby - Hey, what happened? Did I take a time machine back to 1960? This song sounds like Joe is channeling Ricky Nelson.....and I don't like it at all.

Funk 50 - Here's the Joe I know and love! And you all know I'm going to like the part that goes, "I'm going on vacation" .....kinda reminds me of another song Joe does that I love off of LROOE.

India - The one instrumental on the album... it's okay.....I realize this is Joe experimenting with different styles. It's just not my style.

Fishbone - According to the liner notes Joe thought he got a little too "out - there" with this song. Well, that right there tells you how far Joe's come! LOL! Fun song, but probably one I'll skip after awhile.

But I Try - Honestly, I really like this song, but COME ON!!!!! To me, this is Joe saying, 'Sorry folks, I just couldn't come up with anything else, so I'll just stick some old stuff on here.' He calls it a bonus track, but it's very disappointing to this Joe fan.

After listening to it several times this week, I'll have to give it a B-. Could have been a B if he had put one more good song on it. And for me, it lacks a really good guitar solo - something you can hang your hat on - like his solo in Long Road Out of Eden - the song. Now THAT was a great guitar solo! But overall, I like it and I'm glad he finally put it out.

WalshFan88
06-17-2012, 01:08 PM
My review of Analog Man:

First off, I will say I think it's a brilliant and even somewhat underrated album. It is definitely one of if not THE album I love most since the classic stuff of the 70s and 80s that I love. That said, there are one or two songs I don't like as much as the others. I'm so happy for Joe putting this out and getting out there and am so happy he's healthy and sober! He is my hero and I'd be devastated if anything were to happen to him so I'm glad he is clean and healthy and happy.

Song by Song:

Analog Man - This song is a great tune. It's a bit "stuck in the olden days" but I love that myself as I am also an analog man and I prefer old school stuff and especially when it comes to music and guitar gear. I think it's a great track, but not my favorite. I also noticed that ending lick as being from Mountain (Leslie West)'s "Mississippi Queen". Joe and Leslie are friends, so I can see why he might have done that as a nod to him, almost like the Steely Dan reference in Hotel California. A tip of the hat, so to speak.

Wrecking Ball - This one is a killer rock tune. My favorite song on the album. It has a killer classic Joe riff, great lyrics and meaning and it really has a lot of cool licks in it. The guitar tones are killer and they have a nice crunchy rock sound. I think it's probably one of the if not the best song on the album.

Lucky That Way - This one is also great and my 2nd favorite. It's a matured version of Life's Been Good with a perspective of life after the "crazy years". It's a great sequel to LBG, even if it doesn't have my favorite Joe riff in it (LBG). It is a country/rock type song but I enjoy it a lot. Quite possibly another candidate for the "best song" title.

Spanish Dancer - Ok, here comes Mr. Critic. :hilarious: I cannot stand this tune... I didn't skip it for the first few listens and it's the only song on the album I skip. It's just so cheesy and I don't feel what Joe is saying. It's just not my thing. 'Nuff said. I think there could have been much better songs to put here that are more of what I expect from Joe

Band Played On - I love this one!!! It's a cool tune and I love the lyrics. It's a great tune and very underrated IMO. It's a song I love to listen to and find myself singing along to on the choruses. I think he should do this one in his live setlist.

Family - I think this one is a nice heartfelt tune. I know some have mentioned about his family from prior marriages and things, and I do wonder how they feel but I think you can tell Joe is truly happy now and quite possibly and hopefully found the person for him and will continue to be happy.

One Day At A Time - Another great song with a lot of meaning to Joe and it offers great advice. Take life one day at a time and take it as it comes. I think that's great advice and even though I'm not an alcoholic or drug addict and never have been, I can say I felt somewhat of a connection to this song personally, much like I do with Eagles' Desperado (the song).

Hi-Roller Baby - This one is iffy for me. It's not as nauseating as Spanish Dancer but IMO the other songs are much better. It sounds like Joe trying to fit in with the pop crowd of today. I really don't understand it as this isn't what I've come to expect from Joe. It's not a horrible song, but not my thing. YMMV.

Funk 50 - Not much to say on this one other than I really like it! #49 is still my fav but #48 and #50 are definitely awesome and I prefer #50 to #48 (from the JG days). I like the lyrics and the funky groove.

India - I actually found myself really liking this one. It has a very unique guitar sound on it and is a pretty darn good instrumental. It features Joe's guitar loud and proud.

Fishbone - Ok, this one is kind of cheesy and silly, but I still like it better than SD or HRB. I think it's kind of stupid-funny but still funny. I don't skip it, but I don't focus in on it either.

But I Try - Really like this one!! It has great lyrics, vocals, guitar - everything. It's a bit long was the only thing I noted when listening to it and a bit repetitive at times but still a great song!

All in all, if I can forget Spanish Dancer and High Roller Baby I'd give the album a 10/10 but I think I'll give it an 8.5/9 out of 10. I think it's a fantastic album and the great songs FAR outweigh the not so good songs IMO and I think it's truly up there with his and other artist's classic stuff from that classic rock era. I find with the exception of Spanish Dancer - I really don't skip any tracks.

Kudos to Joe for staying sober, finding happiness, and putting out this great record. I hope he does another album after the success of this one and I can't wait to hear some of these tunes live on June 30th in Naperville, IL live!

All in all, Analog Man is a killer record and I HIGHLY encourage everyone to pick it up. It's the best album I've heard in many years and possibly since the classic days. It has a little bit of everything on it too - rock, country, pop, funk, latin/spanish, etc.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2012, 01:26 PM
Austin, I'm so pleased to read your review and I have to say, what album of new material gets a '10' on every song? Most albums are 60% filler material and this one isn't. Joe made sure the CD was worth the wait.

WalshFan88
06-17-2012, 03:19 PM
Austin, I'm so pleased to read your review and I have to say, what album of new material gets a '10' on every song? Most albums are 60% filler material and this one isn't. Joe made sure the CD was worth the wait.

Yes I agree! The great/good songs on this album far outweigh and outnumber the not so good ones. The CD was definitely worth the wait - at least for me.

As far as rock n' roll albums go - this seems to be a great year. Analog Man, Apocalyptic Love, and hopefully Aerosmith's new album out in August will be great - I'm really looking forward to that.

Prettymaid
06-18-2012, 07:26 AM
Austin, I agree that Spanish Dancer and Hi Roller Baby are the weaker songs on the album. Unlike you, though, I'm a little disappointed that he put But I Try on it. Even though I like the song, I would have preferred this album to be all new stuff. The exception to that statement is One Day at a Time, which although not new, Joe actually sings on.

Brooke
06-21-2012, 02:31 PM
Ok, I’ll try to write my review of Analog Man too. Overall, I really like the album and am so happy for Joe that he is so happy with his life now. He exudes happiness these days. I have to credit Marjorie for this drastic change in Joe too. Since she arrived on the scene, he has turned in to Mr. Class and I love it. The pajama pants that he wore during Farewell 1 were just……nuff said! He’s still Joe, but he’s better than ever!

Favorite songs-Analog Man, Wrecking Ball, Lucky That Way, Family (tears me up every time I hear it), and One Day At A Time. I like the new version of ODAAT just as much as the Eagles version.

Spanish Dancer reminds me a bit of I Love To Watch A Woman Dance (which is one of my least favorite Eagles/Glenn songs-subject matter mostly) and I agree with Pm about it being 2 different songs and they don’t really go together. I guess we'll have to put part of the blame on Jeff Lynne for that. I’ll skip it most of the time.

Fishbone is a hoot, but it’ll probably be one I skip, too. Can't imagine writing a song about that, but that is expected of him, since he did I.L.B.T's.!

And I really don’t know why he included But I Try. I like it, but I would have preferred that he sing the lead if it was going to be on there.

The rest of the songs are good and I like them. All in all, great job and I definitely enjoy the album. Thanks Joe!

Prettymaid
06-21-2012, 09:08 PM
Thanks for your review Brooke. We seem to agree on most of it.

Ive always been a dreamer
06-22-2012, 12:22 AM
I'm really enjoying reading everyone's reviews. I'll eventually get around to posting mine, by I'm still not quite ready yet. I need to listen to it some more to see if my first impressions change any. I will say that overall, I'm really liking what I hear! :nod:

Koala
06-22-2012, 03:43 AM
Great reviews everyone! Unfortunately, I can not write so good detailed Reviews.
But I can say I love the album! There is no song that I do not like. although some are stronger than others.

07-29-2012, 12:44 PM
Well - I'm finally ready to post my thoughts about Analog Man after listening to it a lot over the last month or so. First of all, this is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever, IMO. There is still the stuff here that makes Joe Joe if YKWIM, but it is also a brand new Joe in many ways. Joe opens his heart and soul up on this album more than any other time in his career. Now, we have a clean, sober, mature clown prince of rock. There is no song on the album that I really dislike, but, of course, some are better than others, so here goes in the order of my favorite to least favorite ...

I love It

One Day At a Time – Wow – I never thought I would say or write these words, but I actually like this version of the song even more than the Eagles version – more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album.

Wrecking Ball – This is another song about “relevant stuff” that I love. It rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. Not much more to say other than it’s a really good song all around and my second favorite on the album.

Lucky That Way – I love the whole song, but especially the bridge. These are some of Joe’s best lyrics ever and, as others have mentioned, the best part of the song for me …

“I started in the middle of nowhere
Didn’t have far to fall
And the times I thought were the end of the world
Didn’t turn out so bad after all.”

Wow! Who can’t relate to that? What can I say – take a bow, Joe! :yay:

I like it a lot

Family – I also think the lovely melody here is a kinda reminiscent of Pretty Maid All in a Row as PM mentioned. The song is heartfelt and very touching. I think of the lyrics as a celebration. Definitely, Joe all grown up and sober.

Band Played On – I absolutely love the chorus in this one, even though the verses are a little flat melodically. More great lyrics – and how many times on previous solo albums have we raved so much about great lyrics from Joe! Not that Joe hasn’t written great lyrics before, but it’s usually his great guitar licks that get all the attention. Of course, the great guitar is present here as well. Love the bubble sounds at the end. :wink:

Analog Man – It’s not my favorite on the album, but I still like it a lot. This song is vintage Joe. It combines humorous and clever lyrics with great music. ‘Nough said!

But I Try – I really like this a lot and don’t have a problem with him including it on the album. It rocks and fits thematically, and it’s nice to hear a bunch of old analog men jamming. :thumbsup:

Funk 50 – Love that he included this. Great guitar work and a perfect complement to 48 & 49. Of course, Funk #49 remains the classic.

I like it

High Roller Baby – I like this song. As Soda said – it’s catchy and that’s good enough for me.

Spanish Dancer – I like this song okay, but I think the biggest problem is that it feels out of place here – it doesn’t seem to fit in thematically with the rest of the album. Also, I’m not fond of the melody and Joe’s vocals in this one, and the rock music is disjointed with the very pretty Latino music. Most of Jeff Lynne’s contributions on this album are very commendable, but this idea was not one of those times. But once again, I love the lyrics – very mysterious and romantic.

India – This is interesting to listen to, but doesn’t have any really memorable riffs that an instrumental should have to grab you and give it that “WOW” factor. It’s a little long, but I still like it. There’s one riff in there that actually reminds me of Saturday Night Fever. :grin:

Fishbone – What can I say, Joe? Glad you included it – the album wouldn’t have seemed like a Joe Walsh album without it. It’s funny and it rocks!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-29-2012, 08:27 PM
Well - I'm finally ready to post my thoughts about Analog Man after listening to it a lot over the last month or so. First of all, this is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever, IMO. There is still the stuff here that makes Joe Joe if YKWIM, but it is also a brand new Joe in many ways. Joe opens his heart and soul up on this album more than any other time in his career. Now, we have a clean, sober, mature clown prince of rock. There is no song on the album that I really dislike, but, of course, some are better than others, so here goes in the order of my favorite to least favorite ...

I love It

One Day At a Time – Wow – I never thought I would say or write these words, but I actually like this version of the song even more than the Eagles version – more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album.

Wrecking Ball – This is another song about “relevant stuff” that I love. It rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. Not much more to say other than it’s a really good song all around and my second favorite on the album.

Lucky That Way – I love the whole song, but especially the bridge. These are some of Joe’s best lyrics ever and, as others have mentioned, the best part of the song for me …

“I started in the middle of nowhere
Didn’t have far to fall
And the times I thought were the end of the world
Didn’t turn out so bad after all.”

Wow! Who can’t relate to that? What can I say – take a bow, Joe! :yay:

I like it a lot

Family – I also think the lovely melody here is a kinda reminiscent of Pretty Maid All in a Row as PM mentioned. The song is heartfelt and very touching. I think of the lyrics as a celebration. Definitely, Joe all grown up and sober.

Band Played On – I absolutely love the chorus in this one, even though the verses are a little flat melodically. More great lyrics – and how many times on previous solo albums have we raved so much about great lyrics from Joe! Not that Joe hasn’t written great lyrics before, but it’s usually his great guitar licks that get all the attention. Of course, the great guitar is present here as well. Love the bubble sounds at the end. :wink:

Analog Man – It’s not my favorite on the album, but I still like it a lot. This song is vintage Joe. It combines humorous and clever lyrics with great music. ‘Nough said!

But I Try – I really like this a lot and don’t have a problem with him including it on the album. It rocks and fits thematically, and it’s nice to hear a bunch of old analog men jamming. :thumbsup:

Funk 50 – Love that he included this. Great guitar work and a perfect complement to 48 & 49. Of course, Funk #49 remains the classic.

I like it

High Roller Baby – I like this song. As Soda said – it’s catchy and that’s good enough for me.

Spanish Dancer – I like this song okay, but I think the biggest problem is that it feels out of place here – it doesn’t seem to fit in thematically with the rest of the album. Also, I’m not fond of the melody and Joe’s vocals in this one, and the rock music is disjointed with the very pretty Latino music. Most of Jeff Lynne’s contributions on this album are very commendable, but this idea was not one of those times. But once again, I love the lyrics – very mysterious and romantic.

India – This is interesting to listen to, but doesn’t have any really memorable riffs that an instrumental should have to grab you and give it that “WOW” factor. It’s a little long, but I still like it. There’s one riff in there that actually reminds me of Saturday Night Fever. :grin:

Fishbone – What can I say, Joe? Glad you included it – the album wouldn’t have seemed like a Joe Walsh album without it. It’s funny and it rocks!

Love it:partytime:

Love that verse in Lucky that way.

I am so glad he did one day at a time.:partytime:

A great cd

zeldabjr
07-29-2012, 09:44 PM
There was a review and a good pic of Joe in the Buffalo News today...they gave it three out of four stars...the only thing I hated was the review started out by saying that Joe was always too good to be an Eagle...:enraged:...can you imagine anyone saying that...I feel like giving that guy a piece of my mind...

TimothyBFan
07-30-2012, 08:34 AM
Great review, Dreamer!! You always do such a wonderful job on these reviews and I envy you, being able to put it in words. Thank!! :thumbsup:

There was a review and a good pic of Joe in the Buffalo News today...they gave it three out of four stars...the only thing I hated was the review started out by saying that Joe was always too good to be an Eagle...:enraged:...can you imagine anyone saying that...I feel like giving that guy a piece of my mind...

Zelda---Actually, that's about par for the course in a lot of reviews. And that's usually when I do shoot off an email. I was on a roll a couple years back when 50% of the reviews from the LROOE tour were coming out with Timothy's name spelled incorrectly or when the one reviewer said he looked like "the crypt keeper". :scowl: I was shooting off emails every other day for awhile!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2012, 05:00 PM
I've just realized that my review of Analog Man is not on here! I have it in a Word document somewhere, I'll copy and paste later tonight, I hope.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-30-2012, 05:17 PM

that wasn't a nice thing to say.everyone has an opinion but that was :-xuncalled for

07-30-2012, 08:31 PM
Awww - Thanks for the compliments on my review, TT and TBF. You know me - rarely at a loss for words! :wink: :grin:

WalshFan88
07-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Good review Dreamer!

I agree it's some of Joe's best stuff! My other favorite solo albums from him not attached to the James Gang or Barnstorm would be But Seriously Folks and So What.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-30-2012, 09:04 PM
Joe knocked a hime run out of the park with this solo effort.
tt

VAisForEagleLovers
06-05-2013, 10:59 PM
It was a year ago today! I blanked out that today is the 5th. Happy birthday, Analog Man!!

WalshFan88
06-05-2013, 11:26 PM
My favorite release of 2012!!! Great record.

zeldabjr
06-06-2013, 12:39 AM
Happy Birthday Analog Man!!!

TimothyBFan
06-06-2013, 08:04 AM
I just can't believe it's been a whole year already. And we are STILL waiting for Don's new album. :hilarious:

Prettymaid
06-06-2013, 08:21 AM
Happy Anniversary, Analog Man!

Topkat
06-06-2013, 08:49 AM
LOVE ANALOG MAN!!! :thumbsup:

Brooke
06-06-2013, 10:01 AM
Can't believe it's a year old already! Happy Birthday Analog Man! Love it!

GlennLover
06-06-2013, 12:51 PM
As with After Hours, I can't believe that it has been a year either! Must go have a listen. :grooving:

Topkat
06-06-2013, 03:35 PM
I just can't believe it's been a whole year already. And we are STILL waiting for Don's new album. :hilarious:

Yeah, Don's album.:hilarious::hilarious:You know I totally forgot about that!! I guess all the delays just made me put it out of mind completely... until it actually shows up!:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

sodascouts
06-07-2013, 02:52 PM
I forgot, too. Happy belated birthday to Analog Man!

mustangkim11
06-07-2013, 09:21 PM
It was a year ago today! I blanked out that today is the 5th. Happy birthday, Analog Man!!

I said 'Happy Birthday Analog Man' as well and played it on my iPod and in my car. I remember how awesome it was to be a Joe Walsh fan a year ago this week with all the press and promo he did. I got so spoiled seeing his face everywhere and his doing so many interviews. And of course, there were all the concerts he did and everyone's glorious photos.

sodascouts
06-05-2014, 01:29 AM
Two years ago today, Analog Man was released! Hard to believe it's been two years already!

GlennLover
06-05-2014, 07:54 AM
It sure is hard to believe! I must give it a listen. I haven't played it for awhile.

DJ
06-05-2014, 02:44 PM
Way to go Joe, good work. :grooving:

06-05-2014, 11:42 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ANALOG MAN!

Yep - it really is hard to believe it's been two years now. I still love this album and still think it's one of Joe's best. I'm still listening to No Fun Aloud to celebrate it's anniversary, but this one will be next in my car's CD player.

WalshFan88
06-05-2014, 11:46 PM
Happy Anniversary Analog Man!

I recently shared my current-day thoughts on this album in another thread and that I'm not as cracked up about it as I used to be, but major props to Joe for putting something out for us fans and hope he puts another out soon!

Brooke
06-06-2014, 10:09 AM
I love it too! Must dig it out again! Maybe tonight on the deck with the hubby and a cool drink!

kaikoura
02-18-2015, 08:26 PM
My 2 cents worth...Joe needs to do a longer version of India..so much potential for something special here..and maybe do a collaboration with Mark Knopler?

kaikoura
02-18-2015, 08:38 PM
Borrowed from a Billboard interview..

"India" is sonically ambitious. It reminds me a little of "Thunderstruck," but with some electronic edge.

I really love the electronica guys, the young guys who are doing the house and the trance and the remix, all of that. I really salute them, they're making great music. I was in India with my wife, because we ended up in Australia at the end of an Eagles tour and we didn't want to come home. In Mumbai, I went into a little club and I heard a young band, but they weren't playing instruments, they were playing laptops. They had sub-woofers and lights and all, but these three guys with these computers made amazing music, and I said "that's it! I don't know how to do this, but based on that, I came home and made some loops and decided to play guitar on top of it, and that's how that song came about. I never would have attempted it if I hadn't seen those guys live, so that was my first attempt at it, and that's why I called it "India."

WalshFan88
02-18-2015, 09:43 PM
I really hate to say this, but I will since it's not it's anniversary, and that is that I really am not a fan of this album. And it tears me apart to say this.. The only ones I like are ODAAT, and the title track (mostly out of relativity of being an analog fan), and I prefer the Eagles doing ODAAT from F1. The honeymoon effect with the album or the infatuation with a new record wore off pretty early.

To be completely honest, I don't even have it in my iTunes anymore. I certainly don't want to discourage Joe from making another record, but may I suggest he get away from Jeff Lynne. It is a very ELO sounding record, all gloss, lots of filler (can you tell I'm not an ELO fan? :hilarious:) and is veeeeery poppy. Not much true rock n' roll on this.

Being completely honest, I dig Felder's album a lot more than this, granted I don't like all the songs on it but it has more of a rock edge, IMO, than AM.

And ya'll know coming from me I'm not one to ever bash Joe, so it does pain me to say it, but it is what it is.

Freypower
02-18-2015, 09:50 PM
My 2 cents worth...Joe needs to do a longer version of India..so much potential for something special here..and maybe do a collaboration with Mark Knopler?

I am this board's Mark Knopfler fanatic. I would love it if that could happen but I don't even know if Joe is a fan of Mark's work.

kaikoura
02-18-2015, 09:54 PM
I agree the ELO overtones have to go..on the next album
As I write this Im wearing out my new CD.. Songs for a Dying Planet..
(I have many vinyl albums that met this fate..lol..)
I am just discovering Joe Walsh at my old age..
(He does seem to be the most grounded rock star on the planet)
I still think Joe should do an album with Mark Knoppler..
So glad to be here..Rock on!

Freypower
02-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I really hate to say this, but I will since it's not it's anniversary, and that is that I really am not a fan of this album. And it tears me apart to say this.. The only ones I like are ODAAT, and the title track (mostly out of relativity of being an analog fan), and I prefer the Eagles doing ODAAT from F1. The honeymoon effect with the album or the infatuation with a new record wore off pretty early.

To be completely honest, I don't even have it in my iTunes anymore. I certainly don't want to discourage Joe from making another record, but may I suggest he get away from Jeff Lynne. It is a very ELO sounding record, all gloss, lots of filler (can you tell I'm not an ELO fan? :hilarious:) and is veeeeery poppy. Not much true rock n' roll on this.

Being completely honest, I dig Felder's album a lot more than this, granted I don't like all the songs on it but it has more of a rock edge, IMO, than AM.

And ya'll know coming from me I'm not one to ever bash Joe, so it does pain me to say it, but it is what it is.

I love ELO. I don't think the filler is due to Jeff's influence; I think it's because the songs aren't strong enough. Songs like Fishbone & Spanish Dancer & Hi-Roller Baby... they are not very good songs. Don't get me started on the inclusion of But I Try. I have to say my own feeling is also one of general dissatisfaction.

I can see why you prefer Road To Forever. My own feeling is that RTF has too many ballads & doesn't actually showcase the guitar work as much as it should. But it must be said the songs are stronger in terms of lyrical content.

kaikoura
02-18-2015, 09:55 PM
I am this board's Mark Knopfler fanatic. I would love it if that could happen but I don't even know if Joe is a fan of Mark's work.

Some one here must have connections..

Freypower
02-18-2015, 09:58 PM
Some one here must have connections..

If you mean someone on this board, I'm sorry, but they don't. :-(

kaikoura
02-18-2015, 09:59 PM
It was worth a shot..lol

WalshFan88
02-18-2015, 10:03 PM
I love ELO. I don't think the filler is due to Jeff's influence; I think it's because the songs aren't strong enough. Songs like Fishbone & Spanish Dancer & Hi-Roller Baby... they are not very good songs. Don't get me started on the inclusion of But I Try. I have to say my own feeling is also one of general dissatisfaction.

I can see why you prefer Road To Forever. My own feeling is that RTF has too many ballads & doesn't actually showcase the guitar work as much as it should. But it must be said the songs are stronger in terms of lyrical content.

Perhaps I was hard on Jeff, I think the songs are on Joe but I'm not a fan of that glossy sound on the record, it's a bit too poppy for me, it reminds me of certain ELO songs.

I agree also on RTF. But I do like songs like Girls in Black, now that is a good rocker. I think he should do more of that on the next record and less "Wash Away" type songs. But I will say, I can stomach Wash Away a lot more than Hi Roller Baby.

sodascouts
02-18-2015, 10:46 PM
Am I the only person who thinks "Hi Roller Baby" is catchy and fun?

While Analog Man isn't the strongest of Joe's albums, it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything he'd done solo since The Confessor. I'm so glad his last solo album wasn't Songs for a Dying Planet.

WalshFan88
02-18-2015, 10:57 PM

While Analog Man isn't the strongest of Joe's albums, it's leaps and bounds ahead of the anything he'd done solo since The Confessor. I'm so glad his last solo album wasn't Songs for a Dying Planet.

Say what? You don't like "Coyote Love" or perhaps maybe "Theme For Baroque Weirdos"?! :hilarious:

Midnight Visitor
02-19-2015, 12:20 PM
Analog Man is not my favorite. I do blame Jeff Lynne. I just want Joe to go back to sounding like Joe. No Mark Knopfler. He has nothing to do w/Joe and I don't want Joe to sound like Dire Straits. I really wish Bill S. would come out of retirement. THAT's how you get a Joe Walsh album. I wish the Eagles would work with him again as well. HE was the man behind the sound. Since that's very unlikely, I'd settle for Joe & Joe Vitale working together again, producing and creating.

Funk 50
02-19-2015, 01:53 PM

While Analog Man isn't the strongest of Joe's albums, it's leaps and bounds ahead of anything he'd done solo since The Confessor. I'm so glad his last solo album wasn't Songs for a Dying Planet.

I tried and tried and tried to like The Confessor but I was convinced that Joe was finished, he'd lost whatever it was that made me love him and his recording career was over.

Got Any Gum wasn't as bad but no cause for optimism, Ordinary Average Guy seemed like Joe jumping through hoops to be worth a record contract, Songs For A Dying Planet, was a bolt out of the blue, unexpected joy. The first time I played the CD, I was in tears during the amazing intro to Decades, and then again when the background music fades to leave just Joe and his acoustic playing.

1992, 16 or so months after Ordinary Average Guy, Joe releases the best album he's done since joining the Eagles in 1975. Not a collection of songs but a series of moments of delight for Walsh fans.

Since joining the Eagles, I think Joe's become too song based and as albums have given away to individual track downloads, I wasn't expecting anything as immersive as Songs For A Dying Planet from Analog Man.

I was a big ELO fan but Jeff Lynne is not the man for Joe's music. Joe say's everything Jeff touches sounds perfect for the radio but the radio isn't anywhere near as important as it was in the analog days to promote new music.

Opening track, Analog Man is a great concept but some of the lyrics were already old hat when it was released and it seems to me to be a perfect launchpad for an extended instrumental section that sadly, never happens.

Wrecking Ball is a fine rocker with great lyrics and a nice riff. It deserves to be more substantial but it's a little too short.

Lucky That Way is an affable country pop song. Well executed but there are dozens of guitar strumming artists, releasing this type of material. I'm more opposed to songwriters for hire, like Tommy Lee James than I am to Jeff Lynne.

I actually listen to Spanish Dancer quite a lot. Lyrically very similar to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, musically it's Joe singing ELO. I wish it had a bit more of an intro and a bit more of an outro.

Again, Band Played On, too concise for me. It has a fabulous concept. Using the band playing on, as if nothing is happening as the Titanic was floundering to it's/her death as a metaphor for people in power today, inventing ways to avoid addressing the ecological problems that are causing the destruction of the planet's ecosystems. I like the sitar, I like the melody. Could do without the bubbles at the end though. Could Band Played On have followed Long Road Out Of Eden on disc 2 of that Eagles album?

Almost every Walsh album has a synth laden ballad and Family ticks that box for Analog Man.

I'm convinced One Day At A Time has the wrong tempo. Straightforward ELO backing again. I'd like to hear it with a more relaxed Reggae feel. It has another Walsh solo that is simply, Walsh guitar over an instrumental verse. I expect a little more from Joe.

Hi Roller Baby is apparently a song that Joe was asked to sing to provide a guide vocal for somebody else. Written by Tim Armstrong of Punk Rock band, Rancid, and female artist LP. I'm not sure Joe was initially aware that she wrote it too. He checked her out on YouTube after the album was released and was impressed. Tim and Joe share a Lawyer or some other guy who wears a suit and tie and works in an office.
I'm not sure about HRB's cluttered arrangement, again too busy but there's some lovely acoustic guitar in there somewhere and it's a fun, singalong ditty. Just Joe and his acoustic would've done for me.

Funk 50, my adopted moniker:partytime: again too short, (unlike most of my posts:)) so short you could say inconsequential. Great lyric, always destined to be overshadowed by Funk #49 but I'm glad he did it. I just wish he'd done a little more of it... and used a live drummer/percussionist.

Never thought I'd hear Joe playing dance music but India is Joe playing dance music. A pleasant and undoubted surprise, I hope he explores it a little more in future.

Fishbone is Joe playing blues. Joe's an outstanding all round musician/guitarist. Great blues players are pretty common. I think Joe should leave the blues to those guys and play the stuff that's out of their league.

But I Try isn't a Joe Walsh track. It's a James Gang track with Lttle Richard singing and playing piano. Joe Vitale says Little Richard can only play in the key of C so I guess, But I Try is in the key of C.

All those people who say Joe should never have joined the Eagles, he was at his best in the James Gang, this is Joe in the James Gang. I'm pretty sure it was the first song voted off the Analog Man Song Survivor but I think it's great. Sure it's a Jam that kind of loses it's way but it was never meant to be released on a record so I'm delighted that I've had a chance to hear it.

I wouldn't add it to a James Gang compilation though.

Much like Long Road Out Of Eden, Analog Man is almost a rebirth album, just getting used to the environment again after a mighty long break. Pretty good with the promise of better to come.

Thanks for your post honeymoon critiques WalshFan88, Freypower, sodascouts and Midnight Visitor (Szymczyk would be great but I wouldn't deny a guy his retirement)... and enjoy your journey through the Walsh albums kaikoura, there's a few nearly Walsh albums to enjoy too.

I hope you get as much joy as I did although I hope Joe stays clear of Mark Knopfler. I don't dislike MK but it seems to me that he'd rather be M.O.R, (middle of the road) than rock.

Freypower
02-19-2015, 05:43 PM
Analog Man is not my favorite. I do blame Jeff Lynne. I just want Joe to go back to sounding like Joe. No Mark Knopfler. He has nothing to do w/Joe and I don't want Joe to sound like Dire Straits. I really wish Bill S. would come out of retirement. THAT's how you get a Joe Walsh album. I wish the Eagles would work with him again as well. HE was the man behind the sound. Since that's very unlikely, I'd settle for Joe & Joe Vitale working together again, producing and creating.

You can work with someone you have had 'nothing to do with', you know. Knopfler's solo work doesn't really sound like Dire Straits, not that there is anything wrong with that, in my humble opinion. I doubt it would happen, but as I am a huge Knopfler fan the idea intrigues me. One track would be enough; not a whole album.

Oh, and F50, I don't think Knopfler is 'MOR' at all. I don't know if you have listened to his solo albums but they are not 'MOR'. They just don't all sound like Money For Nothing.

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 06:07 PM
Im going out on a limb here..
We are all Analog People?! :group hug::grouphug:
In actuality..

Midnight Visitor
02-20-2015, 08:20 PM
I tried and tried and tried to like The Confessor but I was convinced that Joe was finished, he'd lost whatever it was that made me love him and his recording career was over.

Got Any Gum wasn't as bad but no cause for optimism, Ordinary Average Guy seemed like Joe jumping through hoops to be worth a record contract, Songs For A Dying Planet, was a bolt out of the blue, unexpected joy. The first time I played the CD, I was in tears during the amazing intro to Decades, and then again when the background music fades to leave just Joe and his acoustic playing.

1992, 16 or so months after Ordinary Average Guy, Joe releases the best album he's done since joining the Eagles in 1975. Not a collection of songs but a series of moments of delight for Walsh fans.

Since joining the Eagles, I think Joe's become too song based and as albums have given away to individual track downloads, I wasn't expecting anything as immersive as Songs For A Dying Planet from Analog Man.

I was a big ELO fan but Jeff Lynne is not the man for Joe's music. Joe say's everything Jeff touches sounds perfect for the radio but the radio isn't anywhere near as important as it was in the analog days to promote new music.

Opening track, Analog Man is a great concept but some of the lyrics were already old hat when it was released and it seems to me to be a perfect launchpad for an extended instrumental section that sadly, never happens.

Wrecking Ball is a fine rocker with great lyrics and a nice riff. It deserves to be more substantial but it's a little too short.

Lucky That Way is an affable country pop song. Well executed but there are dozens of guitar strumming artists, releasing this type of material. I'm more opposed to songwriters for hire, like Tommy Lee James than I am to Jeff Lynne.

I actually listen to Spanish Dancer quite a lot. Lyrically very similar to I Love To Watch A Woman Dance, musically it's Joe singing ELO. I wish it had a bit more of an intro and a bit more of an outro.

Again, Band Played On, too concise for me. It has a fabulous concept. Using the band playing on, as if nothing is happening as the Titanic was floundering to it's/her death as a metaphor for people in power today, inventing ways to avoid addressing the ecological problems that are causing the destruction of the planet's ecosystems. I like the sitar, I like the melody. Could do without the bubbles at the end though. Could Band Played On have followed Long Road Out Of Eden on disc 2 of that Eagles album?

Almost every Walsh album has a synth laden ballad and Family ticks that box for Analog Man.

I'm convinced One Day At A Time has the wrong tempo. Straightforward ELO backing again. I'd like to hear it with a more relaxed Reggae feel. It has another Walsh solo that is simply, Walsh guitar over an instrumental verse. I expect a little more from Joe.

Hi Roller Baby is apparently a song that Joe was asked to sing to provide a guide vocal for somebody else. Written by Tim Armstrong of Punk Rock band, Rancid, and female artist LP. I'm not sure Joe was initially aware that she wrote it too. He checked her out on YouTube after the album was released and was impressed. Tim and Joe share a Lawyer or some other guy who wears a suit and tie and works in an office.
I'm not sure about HRB's cluttered arrangement, again too busy but there's some lovely acoustic guitar in there somewhere and it's a fun, singalong ditty. Just Joe and his acoustic would've done for me.

Funk 50, my adopted moniker:partytime: again too short, (unlike most of my posts:)) so short you could say inconsequential. Great lyric, always destined to be overshadowed by Funk #49 but I'm glad he did it. I just wish he'd done a little more of it... and used a live drummer/percussionist.

Never thought I'd hear Joe playing dance music but India is Joe playing dance music. A pleasant and undoubted surprise, I hope he explores it a little more in future.

Fishbone is Joe playing blues. Joe's an outstanding all round musician/guitarist. Great blues players are pretty common. I think Joe should leave the blues to those guys and play the stuff that's out of their league.

But I Try isn't a Joe Walsh track. It's a James Gang track with Lttle Richard singing and playing piano. Joe Vitale says Little Richard can only play in the key of C so I guess, But I Try is in the key of C.

All those people who say Joe should never have joined the Eagles, he was at his best in the James Gang, this is Joe in the James Gang. I'm pretty sure it was the first song voted off the Analog Man Song Survivor but I think it's great. Sure it's a Jam that kind of loses it's way but it was never meant to be released on a record so I'm delighted that I've had a chance to hear it.

I wouldn't add it to a James Gang compilation though.

Much like Long Road Out Of Eden, Analog Man is almost a rebirth album, just getting used to the environment again after a mighty long break. Pretty good with the promise of better to come.

Thanks for your post honeymoon critiques WalshFan88, Freypower, sodascouts and Midnight Visitor (Szymczyk would be great but I wouldn't deny a guy his retirement)... and enjoy your journey through the Walsh albums kaikoura, there's a few nearly Walsh albums to enjoy too.

I hope you get as much joy as I did although I hope Joe stays clear of Mark Knopfler. I don't dislike MK but it seems to me that he'd rather be M.O.R, (middle of the road) than rock.

I too loved Songs From a Dying Planet!! The man was totally ahead of his time as far as the message he's delivering on that album. Also, it was the last time he worked with Bill S.! Bill always brings out the best in Joe.

However, I also love Average Ordinary Guy. So many great songs on that album! A fun time party album that was finally getting away from that keyboard sound of the 80's.

I prefer Joe's 2 albums from the 90's over any of his albums from the 80's. They were spotty at best. Even Joe thinks that the 80's were a waste of time.

I liked most of the songs on Analog Man. The only thing I really dislike about the album is that it sounds like a Joe Wilbury album. No more Jeff Lynne please and no Mark Knopfler. At this point I'd rather see him work w/the Foo Fighters than sound like another artist from the 70's - 80's.

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 08:40 PM
Im going out on a limb here..
We are all Analog People?! :group hug::grouphug:
In actuality..

And I mean this in true sense of the word..pre digital world..
(Not the album per se)..

happy Friday

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 08:44 PM
Im watching Farewell Tour 1..as we speak..its so over the top!:band:
And JW is the man!

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 08:54 PM
Rocky Mountain Way is blowing me away as I write this:rockguitar:

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 09:07 PM
All she wants to do is dance..:yay:

Ive had a few beers..get up and dance..have a good night..

Freypower
02-20-2015, 09:56 PM
I liked most of the songs on Analog Man. The only thing I really dislike about the album is that it sounds like a Joe Wilbury album. No more Jeff Lynne please and no Mark Knopfler. At this point I'd rather see him work w/the Foo Fighters than sound like another artist from the 70's - 80's.

You object to Mark Knopfler being from the 70s & 80s. He has been making solo albums since Dire Straits disbanded in the 90s. He is about to release a new one. If you don't like the guy, OK but he has done far more work than many other artists from the '70s & 80s'.

Also, one person made one suggestion that it would be an interesting collaboration, which I agreed with as I am a Mark Knopfler fan. That's all it was.

kaikoura
02-20-2015, 11:01 PM
Exactly where I was going with that..Happy Friday:cheers:

Funk 50
02-21-2015, 10:16 AM
I prefer Joe's 2 albums from the 90's over any of his albums from the 80's. They were spotty at best. Even Joe thinks that the 80's were a waste of time.

There was a leading guitarist who said his favourite Walsh album was There Goes The Neighborhood. Thought it was Steve Lukather, I'm wracking my brain now :brickwall:

What of Joe Walsh sticks out to you most?

Steve Lukather
Oh, God, everything Joe’s ever done, from the first James Gang album to “Analog Man.” I’ve got it all. I’m a Walsh fanatic. I love Joe, and he’s one of the nicest guys on planet Earth. He’s a bud, and he’s a friend. I was so excited that we got to play on the same song. We did Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry”—we both had solos on that tune. I was so excited to play on a track with Walsh—it’s like childhood hero s**t coming true.
Oh, God, everything Joe’s ever done, from the first James Gang album to “Analog Man.” I’ve got it all. I’m a Walsh fanatic. I love Joe, and he’s one of the nicest guys on planet Earth. He’s a bud, and he’s a friend. I was so excited that we got to play on the same song. We did Don Henley’s “Dirty Laundry”—we both had solos on that tune. I was so excited to play on a track with Walsh—it’s like childhood hero s**t coming true.

All Joe's post Eagles albums, including But Seriously Folks, have too much vocal and not enough instrumental, IMHO.
Without India, which was specially requested by Irv Azoff, Analog Man would be bereft of instrumental interludes barring the mood interrupting, jarring section during Spanish Dancer (Sounds similar to Zeon's Nightime In The Switching Yard) and both of those are more rhythmic than emotional or melodious diversions.

One thing I don't like that Joe retains from the analog days is a resistance to turn up the bass.
Too much bass on an LP would make the needle jump. One of Joe's (and Bill Szymczyk's) great skills was an ability to make his records sound powerful despite the restrictions on bass levels but with digital (and live music) you can turn the bass up to room shaking volume.

I think Joe needs to find a modern producer who knows how to mix the music with the bass up loud. Brian Eno's a very interesting producer, I love the sound of Ringo's self produced last album. Previously mentioned, Steve Lukather's pretty good too, Richard Marx or Joe Vitale. Foo Fighters production, I'm not sure about. I daren't mention MK.

Freypower
02-21-2015, 07:24 PM
There was a leading guitarist who said his favourite Walsh album was There Goes The Neighborhood. Thought it was Steve Lukather, I'm wracking my brain now :brickwall:

All Joe's post Eagles albums, including But Seriously Folks, have too much vocal and not enough instrumental, IMHO.
Without India, which was specially requested by Irv Azoff, Analog Man would be bereft of instrumental interludes barring the mood interrupting, jarring section during Spanish Dancer (Sounds similar to Zeon's Nightime In The Switching Yard) and both of those are more rhythmic than emotional or melodious diversions.

One thing I don't like that Joe retains from the analog days is a resistance to turn up the bass.
Too much bass on an LP would make the needle jump. One of Joe's (and Bill Szymczyk's) great skills was an ability to make his records sound powerful despite the restrictions on bass levels but with digital (and live music) you can turn the bass up to room shaking volume.

I think Joe needs to find a modern producer who knows how to mix the music with the bass up loud. Brian Eno's a very interesting producer, I love the sound of Ringo's self produced last album. Previously mentioned, Steve Lukather's pretty good too, Richard Marx or Joe Vitale. Foo Fighters production, I'm not sure about. I daren't mention MK.

Mention him all you like. He produces his own albums. He doesn't produce other people. He probably wouldn't be right for Joe in this regard. I maintain it would be interesting to hear the two of them play guitar together & that is where I will leave it.

02-21-2015, 07:52 PM
I have to say that I stand by my comments about this album that I made when it came out in 2012. I still think is one of Joe's best solo efforts ever. It is still uniquely Joe - but with a much more, sober, mature, and reflective tone. For the most part, I enjoy Jeff Lynne's contributions to the album. Re: Mark Knopfler and Joe teaming up, I think it would make for a very interesting collaboration.

Funk 50
02-22-2015, 06:19 AM
I'm looking forward to Joe's next album. Not his blues collaboration project, all though I'm sure that'll be creditable but his next music under his own name. I'm hoping his reunion with Barnstorm produces something tangible.

Whatever it is, I hope it stirs the emotions. I'd be mighty disappointed if it turned out to be merely interesting.

Joe's adventure with the Foo Fighters was interesting and then some. I wont make a habit of listening to it though.

Midnight Visitor
02-22-2015, 01:51 PM
I'm looking forward to Joe's next album. Not his blues collaboration project, all though I'm sure that'll be creditable but his next music under his own name. I'm hoping his reunion with Barnstorm produces something tangible.

Whatever it is, I hope it stirs the emotions. I'd be mighty disappointed if it turned out to be merely interesting.

Joe's adventure with the Foo Fighters was interesting and then some. I wont make a habit of listening to it though.

I can't wait for his blues collaboration!! Joe doing what Joe wants to do. Couldn't get any better then that!

sodascouts
02-22-2015, 10:30 PM
I was perhaps unduly dismissive of his early 90s work; I respect that it has its fans. Joe is so versatile that it's no surprise how diverse opinions of his work are!

Funk 50
02-23-2015, 11:32 AM
I was perhaps unduly dismissive of his early 90s work; I respect that it has its fans. Joe is so versatile that it's no surprise how diverse opinions of his work are!

Joe's record company were so dismissive of his early eighties post Eagles material, he wondered whether they'd notice if he slipped a track named, I Like Big Tits (I.L.B.T.s) onto one of his records.

They didn't!

shunlvswx
06-05-2015, 12:47 PM
Happy 3rd Birthday to Analog Man. I like a few songs from this album.

Brooke
06-05-2015, 01:27 PM
Three years already?!

I like several of them too. Analog Man the most!

Funk 50
06-05-2015, 03:21 PM
Happy 3rd Birthday to Analog Man!

It's still Joe's new album to me. I always have a couple of Analog Man tracks on the list, when I fancy listening to some Walsh, (which is very often).

Mostly; Analog Man, Wrecking Ball & Band Played On
Not quite so much; Spanish Dancer, Hi Roller Baby, One Day At A Time, India & Funk 50
Rarely; Lucky That Way, Family and the two bonus tracks.

The live versions are pretty good too. The last time I listened to India, it sounded better than ever.

I wish all the tracks were longer.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-05-2015, 05:04 PM
I do love this joe album

Midnight Visitor
06-06-2015, 01:13 PM
My how time flies........

cynd1231
07-24-2015, 09:27 AM
An interview clip I stumbled across from the release period of Analog Man. (Like the clips I added in Glenn's thread, this may already be here somewhere.) I love the way he credits Marjorie for the completion of the album.

http://www.whio.com/s/entertainment/music/the-eagles/

shunlvswx
06-05-2016, 08:24 PM
Happy 4th Birthday to Analog Man.

I love this album and I love majority of the songs on this album.

sodascouts
06-08-2016, 07:53 PM
I'm so glad Joe did this album. It's great that he's still active and I hope he's not done yet.

WalshFan88
06-09-2016, 03:09 PM
Ah, Analog Man...

I have to say two things.

First, I'm glad Joe is still active and I am thankful he put something out. Regardless of my comments to come, I'll take any Joe Walsh music any way I can get it.

Now to the negative stuff (lol). This album has not aged well for me. To me the ELO-style Jeff Lynne sheen over these songs is palpable. And I don't like ELO lol. I do like pop rock, but 1/3 of these songs are just to cheesy for me, and not even in Joe's typical way (I love songs like ILBTs, etc). It's just filler IMO.

The standout tracks on this album for me are the title track (which he still plays live, so that's saying something), Wrecking Ball, and One Day At A Time (although I still prefer the F1 version of that).

Songs like Hi-Roller Baby and Fishbone are songs that I never listen to, honestly. Ick. Lucky That Way and Band Played On are ok. Funk 50 is cool. Spanish Dancer, India, Family, and But I Try I don't care either way.

IMO, it's just not like his 70s and even later output. It just has this icing on everything that screams Jeff Lynne.

sodascouts
06-10-2016, 09:59 AM
Am I the only one who likes "Hi-Roller Baby"? So catchy!

I do agree that some are a bit much. I don't really like "India" and "Spanish Dancer." "But I Try" doesn't really count for me. It's just supposed to be a "How cool, a vintage James Gang/Little Richard jam" moment.

shunlvswx
06-05-2017, 11:15 AM
Happy 5th Birthday to Analog Man. My second favorite Joe album.

FreyFollower
06-05-2017, 03:58 PM
Love "Family", "One Day at a Time", and "Analog Man".

shunlvswx
06-05-2018, 11:23 AM
Happy 6th Birthday to Analog Man. Great album IMO.

CAinOH
06-05-2018, 11:45 AM
Happy 6th Birthday to Analog Man. Great album IMO.

It is!

I handed a copy of the CD to my husband and told him: "Look, Joe Walsh made an album just for you!" Yes, my husband with his analog televisions. (I swear, I am going to write an epic journey tale just for him titled, In Search of the Final Analog Television!. Do you know how much extra equipment is necessary to hook a Blu-Ray DVD player to an analog television? Do you know how heavy analog televisions are? Do you know how off-topic I just got?)

Happy Anniversary to Analog Man!

FreyFollower
06-13-2018, 02:54 AM
It is!

I handed a copy of the CD to my husband and told him: "Look, Joe Walsh made an album just for you!" Yes, my husband with his analog televisions. (I swear, I am going to write an epic journey tale just for him titled, In Search of the Final Analog Television!. Do you know how much extra equipment is necessary to hook a Blu-Ray DVD player to an analog television? Do you know how heavy analog televisions are? Do you know how off-topic I just got?)

Happy Anniversary to Analog Man!

I also enjoy Analog Man. But CAinOH, your husband could not be any worse than me! I still have my old rotary dial phone in the living room, my VCR and record player, and my very old cell phone only CALLS PEOPLE! I'm an Analog Woman, to be sure!LOL!:sigh:

shunlvswx
06-05-2019, 08:41 PM
Happy 7th Birthday to Analog Man. One of my favorite Joe album that I can listen to the whole thing without skipping a song.

sodascouts
06-06-2019, 09:13 PM
I don't like it as well as you do, but it is a strong album, and I'm so glad Joe pulled it together to make new music after so many years.

06-11-2019, 09:58 PM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY ANALOG MAN!!!

I love this album. IMO, it is one of my of my favorite, if not the favorite, of all of Joe's solo efforts. I will go so far as to say, I think it is one of the best solo efforts by any of the band members over the past decade. I think I'll have to stop short of saying it's THE best, but it certainly ranks near the top for me. Joe manages to stay true to himself while at the same time, showing a much more mature, sober side of himself.

shunlvswx
06-05-2020, 10:09 PM
Happy 8th Birthday to Analog Man.

KingWalsh
06-06-2020, 09:18 PM
Happy Anniversary! Great album, so many good songs...hoping for another!

06-07-2020, 11:13 AM
HAPPY ANNIVERSARY TO ANALOG MAN!!!

This is one of my favorites of Joe's solo albums. As I've said before, we have a clean, sober, mature clown prince of rock. And the version of One Day at a Time on this album is awesome. It is probably the only one of Joe's songs where I like his version more than the version performed by the Eagles.

sodascouts
06-15-2020, 02:36 PM
I know I'm way belated on this but playing it again... how lucky are we that he chose to make this album and not rest on his laurels?

Scamp
09-09-2020, 07:53 AM
I love the album I really like his last song "India" it's so different but you can hear Joe in it.Also like that he plays all the parts, drums, bass, keyboard, computer and of course guitar.
Hope he keeps working on a blues album too. He said he has some songs and guest artist done but still needs more. He really like the blues and has played blues through out his career

06-05-2021, 02:50 PM
Just want to take a moment to acknowledge the anniversary of Joe's last solo effort, Analog Man. Hard to believe it's been 9 years.