PDA

View Full Version : Naperville, IL 6-30-12

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 03:25 PM
Well, I'll tell you what...if I hadn't bought the tickets months ago and if it hadn't been 3 hours away, we wouldn't have gone either. The heat was unbearable. Having never been to Ribfest, I didn't know what is was like, if there was shaded areas (no, not much), or how the stages would be set up.

We just got home after spending the night in Naperville. Boy, we were so glad we did that. The heat just wiped us out! It would have been miserable driving home in wet, sticky clothes. Being able to go to our hotel room and take a shower after being in 96 - 100 degree weather was wonderful!!!

We got to Naperville around 3:00 p.m. yesterday, checked into our room and drove to a remote parking area where we rode a shuttle bus to the festival. I immediately got one of those citrus shake up drinks that these festivals are so famous for, then we headed over to the stage where Joe would be playing 4 hours later to get a feel for where we would want to be. There was a band called 7th Heaven playing there at the time. There were metal barriers about 6-8 ft. from the stage and also metal barriers splitting the standing crowd in half, giving security and photographers an aisle to use. Behind the crowd of people standing there were rows and rows of people sitting in chairs they had brought with them. I immediately started looking for Austin, but since Joe wasn't coming on until 8:00 I didn't think he would be out there yet. The heat was oppressive. We decided to go find the ribs and on the way came across the Ty Pennington tent, where he was doing a meet and greet. We just watched for a few minutes and went to the 2012 winning barbeque and rib stand and got a barbeque sandwich, which was very delicious but messy.

By this time it was 5 o'clock and time to stake our place at the stage. 7th Heaven was just finishing up and people were acually leaving the area, so it was easy to get very close. We ended up being on the left hand side of the stage (as you're looking at it) and I was third person back along the aisle railing - so basically as center as you can get! I ended up seeing Joe from about 12 feet away! Another band came on at 6:00, and as they played I had to hold my festival program up to block the sun. It felt like we were in a frying pan, but we were drinking water so we just perservered.

Finally at 8:15 Joe and his band came on to a huge applause and he started with Welcome To The Club. I didn't take notes, but thankfully, someone has already posted the setlist here.

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/joe-walsh/2012/ribfest-naperville-il-1bdf711c.html

When Joe first came onstage and the rest of the band started playing, he stepped back from the mike and started to play but you couldn't hear him!
The band kept playing and someone immediately ran out and he and Joe kneeled down to try to find the problem. Fortunately, whatever it was it was fixed quickly.

It didn't take long for the heat to catch up to Joe, and he started sweating a lot! I felt so bad for him, but he is a professional and he never said one word about the heat. At one point he said, "Sorry, I had a rib burp.", which got a laugh. When he started to apologise to the younger crowd for "turning out weird because your parents played this with you in the room", I wondered what song he was going to play. Turned out that it was the intro to The Bomber.

Before Analog Man he said, "How many of you have heard Analog Man?", to which myself and others raised our hands and clapped. "Well, ya wanna hear it again?", to which we yelled our approval.

Hubby suggested before the show that I call our house during one of the songs and let the answering maching pick up so that we could hear it when we got home, so I did that to Walk Away, one of my favorites.

There was a tall guy standing right next to us who video recorded just about every song. After the show I asked him if he was going to put them on youtube and he said yes, so hopefully some of those turned out well. For now though, enjoy this video from the other side of the barrier (the right side), but about the same vantage point that we had from the left.

Oh, one last thing. Toward the end of the show Joe pointed out that the Fourth of July was coming up, and he wanted to thank all of the men and women serving our country, and that they're not taken for granted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UJua56RR_fw&list=UUFF16LjZZpcubDuseI3Kjiw&index=1&feature=plcp

It's a shame that it had to be so hot on THIS DAY, but I'm so glad we went. I got to see Joe up close (and yes, I think I got brief eye contact) for $15!!! What a deal! I'm just bummed that others weren't able to go.

Brooke
07-01-2012, 03:33 PM
Pm, great review! I'm so glad you got to go, but so sorry it was so miserably hot. I really don't know how you stood it! I don't think I could have. Sounds like you had a good time anyway. You're a trooper!

I'm surprised they let someone record just out in the open like that! Anxious to see those!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2012, 03:38 PM
A newspaper review...

http://napervillesun.suntimes.com/news/13485019-418/joe-walsh-rocks-ribfest-with-humor-virtuosity.html

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2012, 03:41 PM
Thank you, PM, for a great review. So glad you got to see him in spite of the heat.

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 03:54 PM
Thanks for ther link to the review VA. That's where I was heading next. There are three nice photos there also.

Nice review for Joe. I think I'll leave a comment letting the writer kniow he got it right.

ETA: Oops, I forgot to start a new thread for my review. Mods, do your magic!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-01-2012, 04:22 PM
Thanks for the great review, Cathy and glad Joe did not disappoint in spite of the awful heat.

I'm having issues with the board right now, but we'll get the thread moved when the board is being a little more cooperative.

And I'm so sorry that Deb and Austin weren't able to make the show. I know how much both of them were looking forward to it. I hope you can get to another show on the tour.

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 04:48 PM
I forgot to mention that radio personality Steve Dahl introduced Joe as his friend of over 30 years.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Joe%20Walsh/joewalshandstevedahl.jpg

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 06:42 PM
This guy just put up a bunch of videos from the show.

http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=UUWew_5Tb_OOzd_jFwm4wFKg&feature=plcp

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 07:06 PM
Poor Joe. All hot and sweaty during In The City.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Joe%20Walsh/sweatyjoe.png

zeldabjr
07-01-2012, 07:23 PM
well Prettymaid...you deserve a hand for toughing it out:applause:...I don't think I would have made it...and omg poor Joe...that pic...what a trooper and a great guy!!! glad you had fun...and thanks for the review.

mustangkim11
07-01-2012, 08:04 PM
Thanks for the awesome review, PrettyMaid!

I saw some of the You Tube stuff and Joe looked like he was wilting. I could only imagine how beastly hot it was for the fans too.

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 08:08 PM
I almost didn't want him to come out for an encore.....almost! Lol!

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 08:16 PM
While we were waiting for the show to start we were talking to the people around us, who were all locals. When I told them we had come 3 hours from Central IL they said, "You didn't come just for this, did you? You came for the whole thing [Ribfest], right?" When we told them that we had come just to see Joe, they said WOW! They couldn't believe it. (These were the few people in front of us who obviously were not big Joe Walsh fans like us. Seemed a little unfair to me that they were in front of me! Lol!)

Ive always been a dreamer
07-01-2012, 08:58 PM
I agree PM - you should have totally been in front of those people. I guess they should never underestimate a hardcore, huh. :thumbsup:

And as you can see, I created a new thread for the show.

Prettymaid
07-01-2012, 09:10 PM
Thanks Dreamer!

zeldabjr
07-02-2012, 12:24 AM
While we were waiting for the show to start we were talking to the people around us, who were all locals. When I told them we had come 3 hours from Central IL they said, "You didn't come just for this, did you? You came for the whole thing [Ribfest], right?" When we told them that we had come just to see Joe, they said WOW! They couldn't believe it. (These were the few people in front of us who obviously were not big Joe Walsh fans like us. Seemed a little unfair to me that they were in front of me! Lol!)

I had the same thing happen in Pittsburgh...people said "you didn't come all the way from Buffalo just to see Timothy did you?" they thought we had come for the art fest and just happened to be Timothy fans...funny...yeah they looked really shocked when I said...no we came just for Timothy (what art, never noticed it!)...so I get what you're saying about Joe...definitely unfair anyone should sit in front of any of us!:laugh: I wonder how Joe is feeling today?

Koala
07-02-2012, 01:21 AM
Thanks for your Great review PM!

TimothyBFan
07-02-2012, 07:35 AM
I am so sorry Austin & Deb that you weren't able to make it either. I'm just jutted for you, Austin. I know it meant a lot to you. To be honest, as hot as it was, I really wasn't as devastated that we weren't able to make it as I would have been had the weather been nice.

Great review PM! :thumbsup: And kudos to you and hubby for toughing it out.

I almost feel guilty complaining about the weather for these things because think of the poor artist, he's got more than a decade and a half on me and he was able to endure it. Shame on me!

Prettymaid
07-02-2012, 07:36 AM
I wonder how Joe is feeling today?

July 1st is the day Joe was playing a benefit for Illinois democrat Tammy Duckworth.

Walsh has also signed on to play a special benefit concert for the Duckworth campaign July 1 in the 8th District. Tickets are available on Duckworth's website (http://www.tammyduckworth.com/WalshConcert) and range from $100 for "fan"-level seating to $2,500 "legend" packages, which include a meet-and-greet with the musician and a special reception.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/06/12/joe-walsh-endorses-tammy-_n_1590748.html

Prettymaid
07-02-2012, 07:45 AM
This guy was standing right next to me! It says that it's Funk 49 but it's The Bomber! LOL!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kw26YOvsH1w

Prettymaid
07-02-2012, 08:01 AM
From Joe's facebook page, taken at Naperville Ribfest.

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/Joe%20Walsh/joewalshatnapervilleribfest.jpg

jdubfan
07-02-2012, 08:29 PM
Thanks for the review and pics PM, between your description and the Youtube stuff, I don't feel like I'm missing out as much.
I love patriotic Joe!

Prettymaid
07-02-2012, 08:45 PM
Wish you could have made it Deb. I had hoped that you me and Austin would be comparing notes about now. I'm sorry for your loss and hope your SIL's son is recovering.

luvthelighthouse
07-02-2012, 11:42 PM
I was at a local fest on Saturday and some guy next to me was talking to a friend, "Walsh is playing ribfest". (Headsmack!) I had totally forgotten. Although, it was too hot for me to venture out to ribfest. You are brave woman to battle that heat... but if was for Joe, so I totally understand! Glad to hear he delivered!

Prettymaid
07-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Nice to hear from you LTL!

Just a side note about our fiasco AFTER the show:

Of course, everybody was leaving the festival at the same time, so masses of people were looking for the shuttle bus signs and waiting in their respective lines. When Hubby and I found the sign to our shuttle bus, we went to the end of the nearest line and asked if this was the line to North Naperville H.S. We were told yes, so we stood and waited with hundreds of others. We soon realized that there were TWO lines forming for this shuttle bus, but they seemed to be merging quietly so we waited, even then realizing that there were so many people in front of us that we would have to wait for the next bus. Hot, drenched in sweat and tired, we stood patiently. Suddenly a small ruckus broke out where the lines were merging. Someone was claiming that someone else was cutting in line. Two police officers had to control the lines, making our wait even longer! Once we finally got on the bus (seemed like about 40 minutes total) the traffic was so bad that it took us twice the amount of time to get to the parking lot as it did to get to the festival.

Once we got to our room, I was never so glad to get in a shower!

sodascouts
07-03-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the review - glad you had a good time in spite of the heat. I think they should have a fandom test to ensure the biggest fans get the very front, don't you? Like "Name That Joe Walsh Tune." lol

And hey, LTL, how ya doin'? ;)