PDA

View Full Version : Don Felder

Marco
05-14-2007, 12:45 PM
I want open this new topic for talking about Don Felder and his music.
So.....

sodascouts
05-14-2007, 01:01 PM
Which of his songs do you like best, Marco?

Marco
05-17-2007, 11:10 AM
The only solo album of Don Felder Is Airborne (1983), I listened it and it was quite good, so not a big success like Hotel California (I prefer acoustic MTV version). Well, I prefer His guitar solo. I don't know much about solo concerts.

Here some Songs

http://www.vh1.com/artists/az/felder_don/artist.jhtml

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JEjLETV5HXY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=50lHWjH_RNQ

sodascouts
05-17-2007, 12:31 PM
Thanks for the links, Marco. I think Felder's guitar solo in Hotel California is terrific. I will have to check out Airborne when I get more time.

Becky
05-21-2007, 10:37 AM
Personally, I miss Don Felder. Really enjoyed his riffs. I also have his album and enjoy it.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-21-2007, 03:26 PM
I miss Don too. I loved the way he and Joe played off one another during the live shows. However, if Henley and Frey thought he should go, then gone he is. I trust their judgement and it surely hasn't stoppped me from going to the live shows. In fact, I never saw Felder live with the band. Steuart Smith is a fine guitarist and a more than adequate replacement IMO.

sodascouts
05-21-2007, 05:34 PM
I was just watching a HFO bootleg with Perfect Little Sister and thinking how talented Felder is. I miss him, too. That said, if Felder was keeping them from recording and touring as has been alleged, the it was necessary for him to go.

Freypower
05-21-2007, 10:47 PM
This may be heresy, but I don't miss Felder. I saw him in 1995. That was enough for me. I've heard too much about the trouble he caused. I've seen too many interviews where he's just negative. I saw his attempt to praise Frey and Henley on Showbiz Today before the Millennium shows, and their looks of disbelief/disgust.

As for Airborne... I bought it when it came out. If he had tried just to be a Vai-Satriani guitar hero perhaps it would have worked. Instead he tried to be a 'guitarist-singer-songwriter' like Joe, and he is not a good enough singer or songwriter to pull this off. The songs aren't good enough either. The best tracks are probably Never Surrender and Asphalt Jungle. If you have seen the video for Bad Girls... believe me, this track gives a fair indication of what the rest of the album is like, although it's probably the worst track.

Marco
05-22-2007, 04:40 PM
I think I'm The Only here who prefer Felder.

Here's a list of the songs of the Eagles where You can find Felder's Solo
(Listen It, if You Can)

Learn To Be Still
You Belong To The City
The Boys Of Summer
Dirty Laundry
King Of Hollywood
The Sad Café
I Can't Tell You Why
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Please Come Home For Christmas
Peaceful Easy Feeling

And He play the Steel Guitar, the Mandolin and the Acoustic Guitar. I don't think the new "Guitarist" play this instruments.

Freypower
05-22-2007, 07:15 PM
A couple of people said they missed Felder. However, we have to move on. You can prefer him if you wish, but facts are facts.

If you listen to Do Something, I think you can hear Steuart Smith playing steel guitar. And what guitarist worth his salt is not going to be able to play acoustic. Regarding mandolin, I am sure that Steuart could probably do that if asked, but it isn't part of the band's current sound.

There are other songs in which Felder solos. Outstanding examples are One Of These Nights & Good Day In Hell. Not to mention Victim of Love & Those Shoes.

As for I Can't Tell You Why, it is true that Felder played that solo live (Smith plays it now). However, the recorded solos are by Glenn Frey.

And King of Hollywood has solos by all three guitarists, not just Felder, just as Dirty Laundry has two solos, and I would hesitate to call any of the guitar work in Boys Of Summer a 'solo' in the strict sense.

Finally, he played those solos, yes. But he does not play them now. Saying that he used to play them is hardly relevant any more.

sodascouts
05-23-2007, 01:47 PM
I think I'm The Only here who prefer Felder.

I actually prefer Felder to Steuart Smith, but it's not about preference for me - it's about utlility. Felder can no longer be a part of the Eagles. Smith does well as a replacement, even if he cannot duplicate the original.

05-23-2007, 02:09 PM
I also perfer Felder, but as I said earlier, Steuart is a very fine guitarist as well. You can wish Felder was still part of the band all you want, however, IMHO, hell will have to freeze over twice more before Felder is invited back. :wink:

Marco
05-23-2007, 04:07 PM
Freypower,
Did You see the video of I Can't Tell You Why???

See that and then tell me if the solo is of Frey or of Felder

www.rhapsody.com/theeagles/videos/icanttellyouwhy

Freypower
05-23-2007, 07:27 PM
Marco....

I do know a few things about the Eagles. I know that video very well.

Felder played the solo of I Can't Tell You Why in the video, and subsequently at live shows, because Frey played keyboards. If you own a copy of The Long Run, please look at the song's credits. They will tell you that the RECORDED version, as I said in my previous post, was played by Frey. He also wrote it.

Maleah
05-23-2007, 08:12 PM
I thought that the solo's on Dirty Laundry were Joe and Danny K.? Unless we're talking on video's. I haven't seen the millenium show so maybe Don did a solo on there.

SweetHolly
05-23-2007, 08:21 PM
On the studio version of Dirty Laundry, Joe Walsh played the first guitar solo and Steve Lukather (of Toto) played the second guitar solo. Danny Kortchmar played the rhythm guitar.

Freypower
05-23-2007, 08:49 PM
Yes, but on the HFO tour and at the Millennium shows one of the Dirty Laundry solos was played by Felder. They are now played by Walsh and Frey (one of Frey's all too rare solos).

SweetHolly
05-23-2007, 09:48 PM
I enjoy Walsh's and Frey's solos on tour.

Marco
05-25-2007, 09:54 AM
Freypower,
I have the LP, but I think there is a mistake. (The solo is of Felder)
The video is about the ALBUM VERSION. Try to listen your LP and the video and than tell me if is the same version or not.

Maleah
05-25-2007, 08:50 PM
I'm kind of confused. Are you saying that Felder played one of the solo's on the original album recording or on the millenium show/HFO tour Marcox?

Marco
05-26-2007, 12:52 AM
Felder always played the solo of I Can't Tell You Why, in the album and in the shows.

05-26-2007, 11:21 AM
Marcox - the album credits on The Long Run say that the guitar solos on I Can't Tell You Why are by Glenn Frey (and yes, solos is plural). I presume that means he played the solos. In addition, Glenn co-wrote the song, including the guitar solo, and is given writing credit as well. As FP said, when he was with the band, Felder played the guitar solo when the band performed the song live or to be taped because Glenn was on keyboards. We are willing to have interesting discussions and debates here about anything that pertains to our favorite band, but it seems rather useless to discuss or debate things if you don't have your facts straight.

Freypower
05-26-2007, 06:49 PM
Freypower,
I have the LP, but I think there is a mistake. (The solo is of Felder)
The video is about the ALBUM VERSION. Try to listen your LP and the video and than tell me if is the same version or not.

Are you seriously telling me that a band as perfectionist as the Eagles would have made a mistake in the album credits when they listed who played the guitar solos?

The following statements are made by Frey & Henley in the Complete Greatest Hits booklet:

Henley: 'Glenn also composed and played that great guitar solo'.
Frey: '.... the understated, brilliant guitar stylings of yours truly (laughs)'.

You refer to the 'album version'. That means The Long Run. The solo on Eagles Live is indeed played by Felder. Frey's generosity to his bandmates has meant that his contribution to the original recording of this song has been sadly overlooked.

05-26-2007, 11:35 PM
I did often wonder why Glenn doesn't play the solo now in the live shows with Felder gone. There are other supporting band members who could handle the keyboards for the song. Sure would be cool to see, IMHO.

Marco
05-27-2007, 07:43 AM
Peter Vale, Jim Capaldi, and Paul Carrack wrote Love Will Keep Us Alive, but I know that Felder worked with Their for that song.

Do You know something about That ???

timfan
05-27-2007, 08:38 AM
I did often wonder why Glenn doesn't play the solo now in the live shows with Felder gone. There are other supporting band members who could handle the keyboards for the song. Sure would be cool to see, IMHO.

It would be fantastic to see Glenn play the ICTYW guitar solo, but just from watching Glenn during ICTYW, he really seems to enjoy playing keyboards on that particular song IMO. :)

Freypower
05-27-2007, 07:17 PM
Peter Vale, Jim Capaldi, and Paul Carrack wrote Love Will Keep Us Alive, but I know that Felder worked with Their for that song.

Do You know something about That ???

Was there some suggestion that a band could be formed with the writers of this song, Tim and Don Felder? I'm sure the Tim fans can put me straight on this. This is obviously before the Eagles reunion got the final go-ahead, as Tim and Felder were the last to be asked.

I think playing keyboards on ICTYW gives Glenn a chance to rest his weary legs. :twisted: He seems happy enough for Steuart to play guitar (and Steuart does an exemplary job - I love watching him with Tim during the song).

timfan
05-27-2007, 07:47 PM
Yes FP, in the early 90's Timothy and Don Felder were looking into forming a band with Paul Carrack etc... but obviously when the Eagles reunion happened, the plans for the other band were nullified :)

And watching Tim and Steuart during ICTYW is always fun.. I always think of that moment in the F1 DVD during one of the guitar solos where Tim says to Steuart (with a grin) "is that hard?" ... what do you know! Tim's a comedian! :wink: