PDA

View Full Version : Celebration of "Natural Progressions"

whitcap
08-01-2012, 01:08 AM
Bernie Leadon and Michael Georgiades' "Natural Progressions" was released 35 years ago this month!

sodascouts
08-01-2012, 05:12 PM
Wow! I sure wish Bernie would do more. I'd love to see him live.

Right now it seems his only public visibility is in the emails he writes to the Lefsetz letter!

sodascouts
03-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Just curious.... which Borderers actually own this album?

Brooke
03-27-2013, 01:29 PM
I do have the vinyl but haven't listened to it since back then! Can't even remember anything about it. I don't have a turntable anymore and we gave all the rest of our vinyls to our daughter who is really in to them. (Except Eagles ones, which are willed to her when we're gone! :lol: )

sodascouts
03-27-2013, 03:42 PM
You can buy MP3s of the songs through Amazon for just 99 cents each:

http://www.amazon.com/Natural-Progressions-US-Release/dp/B00124DS8Y/ref=tmm_other_meta_binding_title_0/182-0184664-3953866

Bernie's songs are "How Can You Live Without Love", "Rotation", "As Time Goes On", "The Sparrow", and "Glass Off." On the other songs he backs Michael Georgiades.

jwalk87
02-29-2016, 07:15 PM
I just discovered this album and I love it. I'll post a full album review after I give it a few more spins and take some time to digest all songs. I would recommend everyone taking a listen of this album. It's on Spotify.
Tracklist:
1. Callin' For Your Love
2. How Can You Live Without Love?
3. Breath
4. Rotation
5. You're The Singer
6. Tropical Winter
7. As Time Goes On
8. The Sparrow
9. At Love Again
10. Glass Off

AlreadyGone95
02-29-2016, 07:27 PM
I just bought this album on vinyl. My main record guy sent me a picture of it, and said that it's a great album. Being the Eagles fan that I am, I bought his copy of the album.

jwalk87
02-29-2016, 08:00 PM
Have you given it a spin yet? After the first half dozen or so listens, I like Breathe, The Sparrow, Glass Off, and You're the Singer the best. The album doesn't have stunning vocals or mass appeal, but it's a cohesive and enjoyable listen.

AlreadyGone95
02-29-2016, 08:24 PM
Have you given it a spin yet? After the first half dozen or so listens, I like Breathe, The Sparrow, Glass Off, and You're the Singer the best. The album doesn't have stunning vocals or mass appeal, but it's a cohesive and enjoyable listen.

Not yet. I just got it in this afternoon, and I haven't had time to turn on the turntable yet.

Annoying Twit
06-05-2016, 06:30 AM
I've just listened to this again on Spotify. It really is a good album. There are no 'hit singles' but as JWalk87 says, it's a cohesive and good listen.

Looking at this album in context with OOTN and HC, you can see how Bernie wasn't really compatible with the Eagles' direction. These songs are amply good enough to fit on pre-HC albums, but I can't see any of them fitting on HC. It's like after OOTN both Eagles and Bernie went in near opposite directions.

UndertheWire
07-01-2016, 04:43 AM
I've listened to this quite a few times now and I like it but there's nothing much that stands out. I love the guitar, the vocals and the "feel" but the lyrics and melodies are a bit too obvious. I doubt Bernie had a backlog of great songs that he couldn't get on an Eagles albums and I also think he wrote better songs within the Eagles.

My favourites are "Glass Off" and "Rotation".

I'll look out for "Mirror" but I'm not going to pay a ridiculous price for it.

sodascouts
07-01-2016, 08:41 PM
I really like "As Time Goes On."

NightMistBlue
11-04-2016, 12:10 PM
Why did it take me so long to listen to this album?! It's excellent. Very different to what I expected though - I guess the title made me think it would be an instrumental, primarily acoustic album.

Now I must go find out more: producer, other musicians, etc.

Delilah
11-08-2016, 10:07 PM
I'm glad you reminded me of this album. I've only listened to a few tracks--it has a certain 70s easy listening vibe. It didn't impress me a whole lot TBH, but I really haven't given it a chance either. I'll have to give some more listens.

Delilah
08-01-2017, 10:19 AM
Happy Birthday to Natural Progressions!!--the first "solo" release by a former Eagle (actually a collaboration with Michael Georgiades).

My favorite songs are "How Can You Live Without Love" and "Rotation"; I really like "You're the Singer" too, although Bernie doesn't sing it, nor did he write it. The other songs are nice and pleasant.

Something interesting is that Bryan Garofalo played bass on this album. That's at least 4 Eagles he's worked with--Bernie, Joe, Randy and Glenn. I bet he has some good insight about their creative process, etc.

Bernie certainly cultivated and maintained some working relationships via his Eagles tenure--Glyn Johns produced the album and Gary Burden designed the cover.

Also, according to Allmusic.com, Irving Azoff has a credit for vocals! :woah: It doesn't say which song(s).

sodascouts
08-01-2017, 12:40 PM
The older I get, the more moved I am by "As Time Goes On", especially this line: "We don't have to win it all to justify our lives."