PDA

View Full Version : Best Ever Eagles Song!!!

californiadreamer7
05-17-2007, 06:40 AM
Hey everyone,

I would love to know everyones fav Eagles song.

I must say mine is 'Witchy Woman'

I heard it was on some new album.....

Anyone got any news?

Thanks

Tank

Ive always been a dreamer
05-17-2007, 09:38 AM
Wow - what a question, CD7! I'm afraid I can't answer it, though. I love so many Eagles songs that I'd be hard pressed to pick my top 20 favorites, much less one song. :D

And other than a few solo shows this summer for Don, Glenn, and Joe, there is no other "news" to report as of this moment. However, with these guys, things can change very quickly or not at all. We're all keeping our eyes and ears open for some official announcements by the band regarding the release of the new album and new tour dates. It's anybody's guess at this point as to when we will get any announcements.

Maleah
05-17-2007, 05:53 PM
Ouch....I don't know if I could pick a fav. either. There's so many! I will say though, the one I'm currently listening to most often is "The Long Run." :wink: :

Freypower
05-17-2007, 11:17 PM
This is my current top 10:

Hotel California
New Kid In Town
Lyin' Eyes
Heartache Tonight
Take It Easy
Get Over It
No More Cloudy Days
Good Day In Hell
Tequila Sunrise
Life In The Fast Lane

I did that totally off the top of my head. Yes, it's Glenn-heavy. I can't help that. 8)

Maleah
05-17-2007, 11:51 PM
That's ok FP.........we all have our favorites! Mine would be Don heavy (that sounds funny! :laugh: )...not really intentionally....just the way my favorite songs fall. In fact, my top 10 would probably be:

1. One of These Nights
2. The Long Run
3. Life in the Fast Lane
4. Heartache Tonight
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. Take it to the Limit
7. Desperado
8. Peaceful Easy Feeling
9. Hotel California
10. Get Over It

Randy's Girl
05-18-2007, 03:00 AM
I couldn't pick a top 10. I have a top 1 instead. Take It To The Limit is my best song ever. All the other songs come behind that one in no particular order (apart from the few that I'm not keen on). :D

californiadreamer7
05-18-2007, 06:39 AM
You guys know your stuff!

How many times you seen them play?

Theres a track on this album called California Dreaming i am really looking foward to it.

Have a good weekend

Tank

Mrs Frey
05-18-2007, 07:10 AM
I couldn't pick a top 10. I have a top 1 instead. Take It To The Limit is my best song ever. All the other songs come behind that one in no particular order (apart from the few that I'm not keen on). :D

Mmmmm... now I wonder why that could be... :wink: A certain Mr Meisner doing lead vocal, perhaps? :wink: :wink:

FP, don't worry about your list being "Glenn-heavy" :lol: (sorry, I thought that was funny!), I don't blame you! If I had a top ten right now (and I don't :( ), it would be Glenn-heavy too, for sure. I'm going to have to take the weekend to think about this. Will get back to you all on Monday! :D

And Maleah, nothing wrong with your list being "Don-heavy" either! :wink:

05-18-2007, 09:34 AM
Hmmm - Glenn heavy or Don heavy - sounds like a win-win situation to me! :wink:

Brooke
05-18-2007, 02:17 PM
Yup, I agree. Glenn heavy or Don heavy-either has gotta be great!

I'll try a current top ten:

1. Hotel California
2. Peaceful Easy Feeling
3. One of These Nights
4. Desperado
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Get Over It
7. Witchy Woman
8. Good Day in Hell
9. Life in the Fast Lane
10. Take It to the Limit

:band:

SweetHolly
05-18-2007, 05:23 PM
here's my current top 10
1. Desperado
2. The Last Resort
3. The Sad Cafe
4. Take It To The Limit
5. Tequila Sunrise
6. Try And Love Again
7. Do Something
8. No More Cloudy Days
9. The Girl From Yesterday
10. Get Over It

sodascouts
05-18-2007, 07:10 PM
My favorite is Take It to the Limit as well. It's so dramatic - I love the arrangement and the way it builds. Every time I hear it I just want to shout with it - "Put me on a highway!! Show me a sign!!! TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT ONE MORE TIME!!!" lol

Top 10 is always harder... sometimes things change... I'll give it some thought!

SweetHolly
05-18-2007, 07:54 PM
I love Take It To The Limit. It's such a great song. My top 10 changes a lot.

SweetHolly
05-19-2007, 12:01 AM
I also like After The Thrill Is Gone and Ol' 55 a lot. I wish Don and Glenn would do more duets together.

05-20-2007, 12:08 AM
I was thinking about this thread when I was commenting on the results of the Hotel California Survivor game. I noticed that CD7 named this thread "Best Ever Eagles Song", but then asked us to comment on our favorite Eagles songs. For me, this is asking two different things. I commented earlier that I really can't pick a favorite or even 10 favorite songs. I just love too many of them. However, I can pick what I think are their 10 best songs. I'm basing this on the song's longevity, impact, lyrics, and music. I think it goes without saying that Hotel California is considered the band's best song, so I put that at the top of the list. After that, I'm listing the songs in order of their release rather than try to rate them. So here goes ....

1. Hotel California
2. Take It Easy
3. Desperado
4. The Best of My Love
5. Lyin' Eyes
6. Take It to the Limit
7. New Kid in Town
8. Life in the Fast Lane
9. I Can't Tell You Why
10. Heartache Tonight

Honorable mentions go to Peaceful Easy Feeling, Tequila Sunrise, One of These Nights, and The Long Run because they still get lots of air play where I come from. Now, let the debate begin. :wink:

Freypower
05-20-2007, 08:15 PM
I can't separate 'best' from 'favourite'. This is all subjective and I am not a critic. I suppose 'best' might include the following:

Hotel California
Desperado
One Of These Nights
Get Over It
New Kid In Town
Witchy Woman
I Can't Tell You Why
Life In The Fast Lane
Lyin' Eyes
Take It Easy

I haven't rated these either. I include GOI because the lyric is so invigorating. It states things that many artists at the time were afraid to say, AND it has three guitar solos.

Becky
05-21-2007, 10:32 AM
My first time here, wanted to thank you for the new site, really enjoying the pics, avatars and banners-not to mention another site for all things Timothy! Since everyone is weighing in on their top 10 picks, thought I'd add mine:

I Can't Tell You Why
Take It To The Limit
After The Thrill Is Gone
Try And Love Again
Desperado
Life In The Fastlane
Heartache Tonight
Best Of My Love
Ol' 55
Do Something

Ok, I have more than 10 top picks, including Victim of Love, Sad Cafe, Love Will Keep Us Alive and Hotel California, of course. Way too hard to winnow my faves down to 10 LOL

BTW, on the topic of Hotel California, my 21 yr old thinks anyone who became a fan because of Hotel California isn't a TRUE fan, they are a "Johnny come lately". LOL Now I didn't add that to provoke anyone, just thought he had an interesting point of view for someone who wasn't even born when the Eagles began!

sodascouts
05-21-2007, 01:35 PM
That is an interesting point of view your son has, Becky. Does he mean because of the album or the song?

timfan
05-21-2007, 01:45 PM
ok I'll throw in my top ten... :D

In no particular order

Hotel California
I Can't Tell You Why
Lyin' Eyes
Take it to the Limit
Take it Easy
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Heartache Tonight
Desperado
Do Something
Tequila Sunrise

Becky
05-21-2007, 11:31 PM
It seems he's met people that think HC is the ONLY Eagles song and have no appreciation for their work. He has a not-so-nice name for them(no, I won't mention it here). LOL He thinks if you only became interested in the Eagles because of HC, you aren't true fans. Kind of funny thinking, I know, cause it doesn't matter how someone was introduced to the Eagles. Their music crosses so many lines and generations, I can't imagine anyone not appreciating them........even those who think HC is the only Eagles song!

sodascouts
05-21-2007, 11:52 PM
It seems he's met people that think HC is the ONLY Eagles song and have no appreciation for their work. He has a not-so-nice name for them(no, I won't mention it here). LOL He thinks if you only became interested in the Eagles because of HC, you aren't true fans. Kind of funny thinking, I know, cause it doesn't matter how someone was introduced to the Eagles. Their music crosses so many lines and generations, I can't imagine anyone not appreciating them........even those who think HC is the only Eagles song!

I can understand the frustration towards people who only know HC. But I have to agree with you that if someone appreciates their music, who the heck cares what song they liked first?

Mrs Frey
05-22-2007, 06:35 AM
I'm still thinking about my Top Ten... :D :wink: It's just too difficult! :D :D

Brooke
05-22-2007, 11:08 AM
It really is Mrs Frey! The ones I posted were current on that day! They very well could be different on any given day! I've seen several posted since mine that would be on my list today! There's just too many I love to make any list final! :grooving:

Sexy Girl
05-23-2007, 04:56 AM
In no particular order (rather my favorites, you can always argue about 'best'):

One Of These Nights – love the funky guitars, especially the bass
Ol’ 55 – I’m in love with that song since the Millennium concert, what a treat that was to hear it live
Hotel California – for the guitar solo 8)
Lyin' Eyes – love the way Glenn 'tells' this story
Heartache Tonight – one of my favorite 'drive time' songs
Take It Easy – my 'good mood' song
No More Cloudy Days – this one is just … sweet :heart:
Tequila Sunrise – another story in a song that I love, especially along with Glenn’s wonderful voice
Peaceful Easy Feeling – gives me a lighthearted feeling :D
Take It To The Limit – sung by Glenn, gives me shivers

Glenn-centric of course :D But nobody will blame me for this, OK?

FP: I love 'Get Over It' too and I wish they still performed it live. It’s rather a draw between 'Hotel California' and 'Get Over It'.

Mrs Frey
05-23-2007, 06:53 AM
Glenn-centric of course :D But nobody will blame me for this, OK?

Oh, absolutely not, SG. I haven't even managed to create a Top Ten yet, but I'm sure that it will be Glenn-heavy.

I hear you, Brooke. There are just too many great songs to pick a Top Ten. But I will concede at this point, that my hot favourite right now is "Heartache Tonight" (lead vocal by Glenn :heart: - surprise, surprise... :wink: )

Glennsallnighter
05-23-2007, 10:38 AM
My tp ten will be Glenn :heart: orientated as well :D . When I get a chance to do it :(

Marco
06-02-2007, 10:19 AM
My Favourite Song is The End Of The Innocence.
Than there is Pretty Maids....

Freypower
06-02-2007, 07:31 PM
The End Of The Innocence is certainly one of Don Henley's finest solo songs. However, the Eagles have never performed it.

glenneaglesfan
06-04-2007, 05:44 PM
It's a difficult task picking a favourite track, and my choice probably varies from day to day as well. Here's a top ten, roughly chronologically:

Take It Easy
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Tequila Sunrise (might be my number one of all time)
Best Of My Love
Lyin' Eyes
Take It To The Limit (both versions)
Hotel California
New Kid In Town
I Can't Tell You Why
Heartache Tonight (heard at work today, yeah!)

Drat, that's ten already...

eagleshenleyfan
11-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Well my fav Eagles songs are:

'Life In The Fast Lane'
'One Of These Nights'
'King Of Hollywood'
'Hotel California'
'Victim Of Love'
'The Long Run'
'I Can't Tell You Why'
'In The City'
'The Last Resort'
'Take It Easy'
LROE title track

So many great songs thats just a few of mine. :D

rcknalwys
11-18-2007, 02:41 PM
Ok, I'm going with favorites cause that's easier than best ever.

Take it To The Limit
Try and Love Again
I Can't Tell You Why
Ol' 55
After the Thrill is Gone
Victim of Love
Desperado
Heartache Tonight
Life in the Fastlane
Best of My Love

katherine5832
12-15-2007, 07:23 PM
Here are my Top Ten (+ 1) songs with my inexpert opinions thrown in...

In no particular order:

Desperado (Classic, could be contender for my all-time fave, one of those songs that always seems to end to soon)
Seven Bridges Road (Blew me away the first time I heard it, another one that I wished was longer, I even sound good when I sing along!)
Take It Easy (I defy anyone to not sing along with this one, especially while driving down a deserted two-lane highway in Wyoming!)
New Kid in Town (Another great sing-a-long, transports me back to the halcyon days of 4th grade)
Wasted Time (In my opinion, one of their most underrated songs, has one of my favorite lines of all time: "You didn't love the boy too much, no, no, you just loved the boy to well"
Peaceful Easy Feeling (Such a pleasing, soothing song with one of the most romantic propositions ever: "I want to sleep with you in the desert tonight, with a billion stars all around." Sigh......)
Learn to Be Still (Another beautiful soothing song that wonderfully showcases Don's sexy voice.)
Midnight Flyer (How much fun is this one to sing? I love helping the boys out with the train whistle - wooooooh wooo hooo!)
Life in the Fast Lane (Simply put: this song rocks!)
The Last Resort (Some of their best lyrics IMHO, just a beautiful, haunting song, 30 years later and the lyrics are still so relevant)
Hotel California (Yeah, this is my 11th song in my top ten, but shouldn't it be a freebie?)

I have to say, with all due respect to the OP, my least favorite song is Witchy Woman. I don't hate it - and I do sing along when I hear it - but it's always been the one song that I could easily say was definitely not a favorite.

tbs fanatic
12-17-2007, 11:49 AM
I think my favs are Seven Bridges Road, Hotel California, Take It Easy, On The Border, The Sad Cafe, Love Will Keep Us Alive, Those Shoes. That's my pick today anyway.

I'm not counting any from the latest album as those are still gurgling around in my head and different ones are vying for the top spot.

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 01:22 AM
I Agree that a top ten is hard i will give it a shot:

1. The Best of My Love (This Was Always My Favorite i just love Don's vocals in it)
2. Hotel California (me and my grandma love to sing it in the car)
3. In The City (I was born here in the city with my back against the wall)
4. Life in The Fast Lane (i love driving to this song)
5. Lyin' Eyes (i love the line "they fall together")
6. The Last Resort (this is a epic and i think some of Don's greatest work)
7. Get Over It (this is my song for the world today i quote it a lot in history class)
8. Witchy Woman (my theme song according to my mom but i think she wants to change a certian word in the title to a very bad word lol)
9. Peaceful Easy Feeling (i always have a peaceful personality and i get a peaceful easy feeling and we were play a game on the last day of jr history and we had and Eagles Catagory and this was the bonus)
10.Wasted Time (i just love this song i don't really know why)

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 06:20 AM
There's a lot of Don in my choice, haha :mrgreen:

01. Desperado - everytime when I hear this song and when Don start with singin' I start crying, Desperado is very special for me. At the Eagles concert in April I also start crying (in the front of Don.) and he looked at me and his eyes said "Take Care". I love Don his voice.
02. Wasted Time - Again Don, and Oh My Gosh I love this song. The text is so familair with me.
03. Heart Of The Matter - actually it's a Don song, but the Eagles version is so beautiful.
04. Hotel California - The biggest Eagles classic song ever, fabulous sound!
05. Take It Easy - I can't without Don, but I also can't with Glenn, the perfect song he sing!

06. How Long - Country forever! Great voice of Glenn and Don and an amazing drive song, haha.
07. Best Of My Love - Love Don's vocals in it.
08. The Last Resort - Gosh I Love Don in this song :inlove: and the lyric is so..uh, I can see myself in the lyric you know.
09. Learn To Be Still - Love Don his voice, sexy and calm and wow.
10. Funk #49 - Yeah Joe is in da house! Love the song, Joe is being crazy and the music just funky!

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2008, 06:50 AM
Great selections GOS and MH, if a little Don-oriented!
Gets me thinking that with all that new LROOE material its time for a revamp. The problem is.......What to leave out :headscratch: . Maybe we'll just have to have a longer list :D ......or more ties!! :D

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 06:55 AM
I think we have to make a top 15 or 20 :P

Brooke
07-07-2008, 10:12 AM
Why stop there? :twisted:

Actually, I love most ALL of the Eagles songs and it's very hard to put one in front of the other. Although TIE is my all time fave.

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:33 AM
I know the problem!
You have to choice which one is better, that sucks.

Uh, top 100 maybe? :P

sodascouts
07-07-2008, 10:40 AM
The Eagles are one of the few groups where I like 90% of what they've done. That's why they're my favorite band, along with Fleetwood Mac!

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 10:42 AM
I agree!

07-07-2008, 11:06 AM
I totally agree. I may have to consider updating my list too now that LROOE has been released. :?

The_Girl_Of_Summer
07-07-2008, 02:43 PM
i agree i love just about everything they have done even some songs that other people don't

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2008, 05:38 PM
While obviously there are some songs that I would prefer to others, and that my hand would instinctively press 'repeat' on when in the car I don't actually think there is an Eagles song that I DON'T like. So maybe I too will have to lengthen my list. I would say I like 100% of their work! Each song, even the lesser known and played ones has its own unique appeal, whether music, lyrics, vocals harmony or just overall presentation.

On a point of order.......... I assume the lack of 'words' does not preclude IDTWNW?

Mrs Henley
07-07-2008, 05:49 PM
I've got a few songs where I have to think about if I really like them, you know.
I'm not that fan of Bernie/Randy and Don Felder (don't asked me why) Although I love Don Felder's guitar works!

Freypower
07-07-2008, 07:13 PM
While obviously there are some songs that I would prefer to others, and that my hand would instinctively press 'repeat' on when in the car I don't actually think there is an Eagles song that I DON'T like. So maybe I too will have to lengthen my list. I would say I like 100% of their work! Each song, even the lesser known and played ones has its own unique appeal, whether music, lyrics, vocals harmony or just overall presentation.

On a point of order.......... I assume the lack of 'words' does not preclude IDTWNW?

There's absolutely no reason why you shouldn't included ITTWNW in a list of your favourite Eagles songs, but I wouldn't myself.

I will try and do a revised Top 20 with no thought:

1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Heartache Tonight
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Take It Easy
6. Life In The Fast Lane
7. Long Road Out Of Eden
8. Good Day In Hell
9. Get Over It
10. No More Cloudy Days
11. Already Gone
12. Tequlia Sunrise
13. What Do I Do With My Heart
14. Somebody
15. Witchy Woman
16. The Last Resort
17. Waiting In The Weeds
18. Outlaw Man
19. Learn To Be Still
20. Doolin-Dalton

I really made that up. There were some other tracks from LROOE I didn't want to leave out.

Glennsallnighter
07-07-2008, 07:56 PM
For some reason (Other than the composer :wink: tho' thats important too!) I just love IDTWNW. Its just so relaxing and soothing. I would be tempted to see some Irish influence in it as well. And I've learned it on the guitar. In fact its the ONLY piece of music that I've learned to play using TAB rather than chords. So it is a bit special to me on a number of accounts.

Thats a great selection FP. You've a bit of everything in it! I wonder what you'll come up with after putting some thought into one! :D

Scarlet Sun
07-08-2008, 01:04 AM
all Eagles except Don F. are represented vocally in my list

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling
2. Take It Easy
3. Most Of Us Are Sad
4. One Of These Nights
5. I Can't Tell You Why
6. Train Leaves Here This Morning
7. Try And Love Again
8. Best Of My Love
9. Take It To The Limit
10. In The City

sodascouts
07-08-2008, 01:32 AM
Scarlet, I LOVE your name. I think "Most of Us Are Sad" is a beautiful song that's very underrated, and the "scarlet sun" is a great image from that.

Welcome!

Scarlet Sun
07-08-2008, 01:42 AM
Thanks a lot! It seems as though they probably never played that song live, which is a shame. Glenn is probably embarrased by it now

Mrs Frey
07-08-2008, 02:28 AM
Welcome to The Border, Scarlet Sun! :yay: :D I hope you enjoy your time here with us.

I haven't got round to this thread yet, but I will! :nod: I admit that I haven't listened to the Eagles' debut album much :blush:, but I should go back to it and listen a little more. I'm embarrassed to admit that I can hardly remember the tune to "Most Of Us Are Sad", but what I do remember is that Glenn's :heart: vocal is hardly recognisable as his, at least to my ears. I kept asking myself: is that Glenn :heart: ? He just sounds so different. Does anyone else think so?

JoeFan
07-08-2008, 03:26 AM
Randy Meisner sings 'Most of Us Are Sad.'

I gave my favourites earlier in the thread and they've not changed, still love 'Pretty Maids All In A Row' the best.

Mrs Frey
07-08-2008, 06:21 AM
Ha! No wonder! Thanks, JF, for clearing that up for me.

I was reading liner notes in a DVD I have about the song, and it stated that it was Glenn :heart: on lead vocal. I thought of all the others' voices, and I thought it sounded like Randy, but the voice sounded different even for him. Thus my confusion! :lol:

It's unusual for one of the other Eagles to be taking lead vocal on a Glenn :heart: -penned song.

My favourite Eagles song is definitely "Heartache Tonight", but I'll have to give a top 10 a lot of thought, as there are just so many that I love.

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 07:35 AM
Welcome to the board Scarlet! :D Hope you enjoy it here!!

Mrs Frey, Heartache Tonight is the best Glenn Eagles song ever! I totaly agree! Although What Do I Do With My Heart is also a lovely Glenn Eagles song! :heart:

Brooke
07-08-2008, 10:07 AM
Scarlet Sun, welcome to The Border! I like your list. Very good choices.

Check out all the threads. Especially the Introduce Yourself thread. We'd love to know more about you!

07-08-2008, 10:45 AM
Welcome from me as well, Scarlet Sun. I like your user name too. Glad you found us and hope you enjoy yourself here on The Border.

And MF - I agree it is somewhat unusual that Randy sang lead on a song that Glenn wrote. However, I guess Randy needed another vocal lead on the album and Most of Us Are Sad was the only song they had ready at the time. After all, it was the early days and they recorded the entire album in about three weeks. I like the song a lot, and always wondered what it would sound like with Glenn. As far as I know, Glenn has never performed the song publically since the Eagles recorded it.

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 10:52 AM
I don't know the song :lol:
But it's indeed weird dat Randy sang one that Glenn wrote.

And they never played the song again after recording.
I can't find something.

sodascouts
07-08-2008, 12:55 PM
You can hear the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKLS6oBWsYY

If you listen carefully, you can hear Glenn's and Don's harmony on the third verse... "Love was here today..."

I think it's lovely but no, it's never been performed live to my knowledge.
Edited to add: I just saw a comment on YouTube where the guy says he DID hear it live as an encore!

BTW, regarding Randy needing an extra vocal, it's interesting that he got three on the album but Don only got two. I know it's been said that Don and Glenn were teamed up from the beginning, but I think that didn't happen until Desperado. I think at first, Glenn and Randy were the pair, as were Don and Bernie. Randy sang on Glenn's song, and Don and Bernie co-wrote Witchy Woman (and both had two vocals instead of three). This is borne out by Glyn Johns saying that Randy and Glenn were always sneaking off together to do pot, lol. (I do realize that Randy co-wrote a song with Bernie, too, but I'm just following an overall pattern).

Scarlet Sun
07-08-2008, 04:35 PM
I thought Glenn also had a hand in writing WW, but refused credit because he didn't like the way the song turned out.(source - "In The Studio" radio show)

I think Randy may have been considered perhaps the best singer in the Eagles when the band started out. Also according to that In The Studio show, Nightingale wasn't originally supposed to be on the debut album, but David Geffen insisted that Henley had to have more than one lead vocal(he supposedly referred to Don as "Golden Throat"). Perhaps Nightingale pushed Get You In The Mood off the album.

Mrs Henley
07-08-2008, 04:39 PM
You can hear the song here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKLS6oBWsYY

If you listen carefully, you can hear Glenn's and Don's harmony on the third verse... "Love was here today..."

I think it's lovely but no, it's never been performed live to my knowledge.
Edited to add: I just saw a comment on YouTube where the guy says he DID hear it live as an encore!

BTW, regarding Randy needing an extra vocal, it's interesting that he got three on the album but Don only got two. I know it's been said that Don and Glenn were teamed up from the beginning, but I think that didn't happen until Desperado. I think at first, Glenn and Randy were the pair, as were Don and Bernie. Randy sang on Glenn's song, and Don and Bernie co-wrote Witchy Woman (and both had two vocals instead of three). This is borne out by Glyn Johns saying that Randy and Glenn were always sneaking off together to do pot, lol. (I do realize that Randy co-wrote a song with Bernie, too, but I'm just following an overall pattern).

Yeh I hear, thanks Soda! :D

Freypower
07-08-2008, 06:32 PM
I thought Glenn also had a hand in writing WW, but refused credit because he didn't like the way the song turned out.(source - "In The Studio" radio show)

I think Randy may have been considered perhaps the best singer in the Eagles when the band started out. Also according to that In The Studio show, Nightingale wasn't originally supposed to be on the debut album, but David Geffen insisted that Henley had to have more than one lead vocal(he supposedly referred to Don as "Golden Throat"). Perhaps Nightingale pushed Get You In The Mood off the album.

If Nightingale pushed Get You In The Mood off, that is interesting. I am biased, but I think Get You In The Mood is a much better song, no matter how 'politically incorrect' it is.

I find it very hard to believe that Glenn would have turned down a songwriting credit, and as for not liking how it turned out, to me Witchy Woman is still one of the most awesome sounds they produced.

Re Most Of Us Are Sad, it is one of only 3 Eagles songs I've heard 8 times on my iPod, which is the record at the moment (the other two are the live version of Lazy Days and Desperado). I have never been able to think of Glenn singing it. It doesn't sound like his song at all, although he wrote it, except perhaps for the 'I will sing you far away' line which I DO like to imagine.

aivliss
02-02-2011, 05:12 PM
Having to choose a song today.... I would say The Sad Cafe.

EaglesKiwi
02-04-2011, 04:47 AM
My current favourites (in no particular order) are:

Long Road Out of Eden
What Do I Do With My Heart
Last Resort
Desperado (especially the line "Your prison is walking through this world all alone" - gets me every time)
Love Will Keep Us Alive
How Long
Take It To The Limit
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Life In The Fast Lane
Witchy Woman

And of course Hotel California :headbang:

WalshFan88
02-04-2011, 09:04 AM
It's a VERY hard choice but at the same time it's a no brainer for me.

Hotel California

If you read the "how did you become an Eagles fan" thread (called something like that) you will find out why this song and even album is so special to me and a bit of my life story and how it changed me life and how it influenced me.

I hear people talking about getting tired of hearing it or burning out, but I NEVER burn out on HC. It's my favorite song of all time. Not to forget my favorite album of all time, my favorite guitar solo of all time, and my favorite band of all time! ;)

In my opinion, that song is the greatest of all songs. From the lyrics to the guitars, it's a masterpiece song AND album. My favorite song and album by my favorite band! :) Obviously, the HC album is my favorite Eagles album! :hilarious:

WalshFan88
02-04-2011, 09:22 AM
Ok OGG, let me get this straight: are you trying to say that HC is one of your favorite songs? I'm not real sure if that's what you're trying to say:hilarious:.....

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

I think I'm trying to say it's my favorite song! :hilarious:

Annabel
02-04-2011, 11:00 AM
:hilarious: I think he's sure on that. :thumbsup:

MikeA
02-04-2011, 11:34 AM
Favorite Eagle Song

Steve Miller Band, "Fly Like An Eagle" Let your spirit set you free!

GlennLover
02-04-2011, 11:50 AM
Oh Mike, you're bad! Witty, but bad :fingerwag: :laugh:!

Gus T.T. Showbiz
03-04-2011, 06:50 PM
For me it's gotta be Already Gone. Such an upbeat song.

03-04-2011, 08:06 PM
That is a great song, but then there are so many great Eagles songs, which is why I would never be able to pick just one.

And BTW - Welcome Gus. Glad you found us here on The Border. Have fun!

WalshFan88
03-04-2011, 08:24 PM
HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

Some of you know why it's so personally special to me as I've talked about it in a couple other threads and how it ties into my life.

jdubfan
03-04-2011, 11:38 PM
HOTEL CALIFORNIA!

Some of you know why it's so personally special to me as I've talked about it in a couple other threads and how it ties into my life.

:stunned: Shocking!! Isn't it great to have a connection like that, tho? :spin:

During my overly dramatic teens years, Desperado and Wasted Time were my favorites. Tequila Sunrise reminds me of an old relationship, Doolin' Dalton of old friends from Colorado. So many ties to my past from different songs. Now after many years of listening I think it's Life In The Fast Lane, with that wonderful lick starting it off, the funk and jam of it, Don and Glenn's trademark sarcastic lyrics, it's one I have to always crank when it comes on. I'm Already Gone.....

WalshFan88
03-05-2011, 12:00 AM
:stunned: Shocking!! Isn't it great to have a connection like that, tho? :spin:

Yes it is! :nod:

Freypower
03-05-2011, 06:00 PM
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Heartache Tonight
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Take It Easy
6. Life In The Fast Lane
7. Long Road Out Of Eden
8. Good Day In Hell
9. Get Over It
10. No More Cloudy Days
11. Already Gone
12. Tequlia Sunrise
13. What Do I Do With My Heart
14. Somebody
15. Witchy Woman
16. The Last Resort
17. Waiting In The Weeds
18. Outlaw Man
19. Learn To Be Still
20. Doolin-Dalton

I really made that up. There were some other tracks from LROOE I didn't want to leave out.

That was my Top 20 back in 2008. I would now list the following:

1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Heartache Tonight
4. Lyin' Eyes
5. Take It Easy
6. Life In The Fast Lane
7. Long Road Out Of Eden
8. Tequila Sunrise
9. No More Cloudy Days
10. Somebody
11. What Do I Do With My Heart
12. Already Gone
13. Get Over It
14. Doolin-Dalton
15. I Love To Watch A Woman Dance
16. Witchy Woman
17. Outlaw Man
18. Learn To Be Still
19. Good Day In Hell
20. Pretty Maids All In A Row
You Are Not Alone (tie)

yekrut
03-14-2011, 08:35 PM
Great site. Just found it the other day. So many good songs. Tough to pick one. If I could only pick one it would be Take It Easy. First song I remember hearing as a kid. I think I was 4 or 5.

sodascouts
03-15-2011, 12:21 AM
Glad you like the site. Yes, Take It Easy is a great one! Welcome!

AzEaglesFan
03-15-2011, 01:42 AM
Best of My Live. I couldn't believe my luck when Don said in Houston that they had tried out an old song in Austin and it turned out so great that they were going to do it that night. I didn't think I would ever get to hear it in person.
I don't have a clue why everything is underlined?????:brickwall:

03-15-2011, 10:26 AM
Welcome to the board, yekrut. It looks like you have very good taste. :wink:

And AZ - I think you must've had the 'underline' feature enabled on your post. If you want to get rid of it or just experiment with it, then click the 'Edit' button on your post. When the text box opens, highlight all of your underlined text, and click the U button in the upper left corner of of the text box. That should disable the feature and remove the underlines. And just an FYI - the B (bold) and I (italics) buttons work the same way.

EaglesKiwi
03-15-2011, 11:29 PM
My new favourite is "Waiting In The Weeds". I love it more every time I hear it... :grin: (I've only had the LROOE album since Jan).

Closely followed by Long Road Out of Eden... and about a dozen others!!:rofl:

Brooke
03-16-2011, 10:03 AM
Well, I've said it before and will say it again. Take It Easy will always be my favorite Eagles song. It just is. It always has been and always will be. Since 1972. I love it every time I hear it. It makes me happy! :heart:

Now the next favorites can change time and time again, but WITW and LROOE will be right up there with the classics. WITW almost takes my breath away. :heart:

Outlawman13
02-28-2013, 12:07 AM
I don't have a favourite Eagles song, but I must tell you guys that I always get a feel good feeling listening to them and all of the songs. If I had to choose though, it would be more Glenn heavy. I perfer Glenn's voice, but I love all of their songs.

Witchy Woman
02-28-2013, 12:45 AM
Tie between Wasted Time and The Last Resort.

RebeccaLovesEagles
02-28-2013, 08:51 PM
Though Doolin Dalton/Desperado reprise will always be my favorite. Lately I've been loving Hollywood Waltz. It is such a beautiful song and when Don goes high at the end, my favorite part, I could swoon. :faint::thud::grooving::fainted::fainting:

Houston Debutante
03-01-2013, 12:44 PM
The Best Of My Love ~ at least that's my favorite.

AstraeaLunaAvani
03-16-2013, 01:53 AM
Always was and still is Take It To The Limit. 2nd place is probably Already Gone.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-16-2013, 09:56 AM
:hilarious:RLE ...funny ...hollywood waltz has been an ear worm in my head for the past months....I really love that song too....
My fave is and always will be Hotel California....
I love already gone too..who am I kidding I love them all ....
But yes Hotel california just does things to me whn I hear it ..cant help it...:hilarious:
( I am actually reading about it now in the "to the limit book")

zeldabjr
03-16-2013, 10:11 AM
my favorites...I Can't Tell You Why...then Take It To The Limit...don't think these will ever change...although song of the moment is VOL

NYC Fan
03-16-2013, 11:28 AM
It's almost impossible to pick a favorite, but I'd have to say that mine has always been Desperado.

Don's voice is achingly beautiful and lyrically it's just so poignant. I've always just loved it.

And that Seinfeld episode with Desperado in it always cracked me up :)

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-05-2013, 09:13 AM
I have to update my answer LOL...since I'm more familiar with their music now, I'm going to attempt to put these in order too, going from best to "worst" lol...But some of these are so close, they are practically tied!

#1 Take It To the Limit
Take the Devil
Too Many Hands
Doolin Dalton
Already Gone
Take It Easy
Desperado

johnnycomelately89
04-05-2013, 03:17 PM
it would be impossible for me to pick just one. my top ten, today at least are:

1. nightingale
2. one of these nights
3. love will keep us alive
4. already gone
5. life in the fast lane
6. take it easy
7. pretty maids all in a row
8. what do i do with my heart
9. i can't tell you why
10. wasted time

Vikinglord
04-05-2013, 07:27 PM
One of These Nights
Take it to the Limit
Hotel California
Take it Easy
New Kid in Town
I Can't Tell You Why
Life in the Fast Lane
Peaceful, Easy Feeling
Lying Eyes
Witchy Woman
Already Gone
Pretty Maids All in a Row
The Long Run
Victim of Love
Best of My Love
Certain Kind of Fool
Heartache Tonight
Tequila Sunrise
Wasted Time

desperado
04-05-2013, 07:35 PM
my favorite vocalist is Don Henley

1. Peaceful Easy Feeling
2. Pretty Maids all in a row
3. Desperado

bluefox4000
04-06-2013, 10:42 AM
I don't even have to think about this.......Take It to the Limit.

Mick

TakeMeToTheLimit
07-22-2013, 08:40 AM
The most difficult question I've ever been asked! Top faves though the ones I most often have as favourites at different times and have on repeat are: take it easy good day in hell one of these nights take it to the limit life in the fast lane & victim of love among others but those mainly

LA Eagle
07-22-2013, 09:17 AM
My favorite or best Eagles song seems to change regularly. That is the big reason they are my favorite group with no close second. So many GREAT songs!!!!!

thelastresort
07-22-2013, 02:04 PM
I'm oddly tempted to say anything from the Desperado album (except Bitter Creek, never got into that) - for me that was when the Eagles were at their best - the harmonies, the music, the concept, the lyrics. The Eagles album was a kick in the right direction, and Desperado was the perfection of that - the rockier approach of OTB and thereafter lost a bit of that country spirit of the Eagles. They were still amazing, but plenty of other bands could do what they did from 1974+ - the mixture of rock, hard rock and country rock: only the Eagles could pull off an album like Desperado so perfectly.

outontheborder
08-20-2013, 06:38 PM
My favourites have to be:
1) Desperado
2) Take It To The Limit
3) Hotel California
4) Certain Kind Of Fool
5) Try And Love Again
6) After The Thrill Is Gone
7) Train Leaves Here This Morning
8) Victim Of Love
9) Pretty Maids All In A Row
10) Take It Easy

A fair mix, I think.

Sebastian
08-20-2013, 09:21 PM
Lyin' Eyes

Freypower
08-20-2013, 09:36 PM
Lyin' Eyes

Would you mind telling us why?

It's in my Top 5 but I think this is the first time I have come across someone who says it is their favourite song.

sad-cafe
08-20-2013, 10:03 PM
right now it is Life In The Fast Lane

I think it is better than Hotel California!

I also love Best of My Love

Sebastian
08-21-2013, 12:27 AM
Would you mind telling us why?

It's in my Top 5 but I think this is the first time I have come across someone who says it is their favourite song.

D'you know how eyes are the window to the soul or whatever? Well, I used to try to 'read' people by making eye contact, and most of the time it actually works. If you become good enough at it, you can often tell when a person's lying, or when they're nervous, or sad, or happy, or interested, or excited, etc.

I used to fancy this lovely German girl who was, well, basically what the song describes. The eyes, the smile, the strength, the secrecy, the bit about 'pouring herself a strong one'...

That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind.

I also think the songs you really like at a certain time are reflect where you are in life, especially regarding love, of course. There was a time that I was obsessed with Beatles' 'Here, There and Everywhere', because it was a more, er, idealistic, if you will, type of love: attached, beautiful, codependant ('I want her everywhere...').

'Lyin' Eyes', while not describing love itself, describes a more realistic person. Paradoxically enough, those qualities that us men often tend to find risky or threatening about girls (such as the ability to be in control, cheat, etc.), are also the ones that could be the most endearing of them all. I was never able to 'crack' the code of what the German girl was about, and that made me want her even more. Just so you know, it didn't have a happy ending: she never liked me and our friendship was ruined, but whatever, life goes on :D

That was the long answer. Short one: I think it's a perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically. I love the harmonies, the way it tells the story, the way music and words connect to, and interact with, each other. I think the 'core' of it is so beuatifully simple and direct that there's no way around it, but at the same time it's got so many levels that you can always find (or create) different meanings between the lines. The perfect amalgamation of a wonderful poem and a wonderful composition. Very, very few musical pieces ever get to do that (usually lyrics are great but music not so much or viceversa).

Houston Baby
08-21-2013, 08:36 AM
Sebastian - I totally agree with what you are saying in your post here. I like how you stated ...."That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind." So true! Especially with Eagles songs!

I also agree that it is a "perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically".

And sorry about the girl. Unfortunately as we probably all know it happens to both genders - "those lying eyes".

Thank you for your well thought post! :thumbsup:

08-21-2013, 02:04 PM
Sebastian - I really enjoyed reading your post and you certainly make a strong case for Lyin' Eyes. ITA with you about it being a perfect song. I know some folks think it's boring and too long, but I'm one that never tires of it. I love the story that the song tells - and the final lines in the last verse are some of my all-time favorites ...

"Ain't it funny how your new life didn't change things, you're still the same ole girl you used to be."

Sheer perfection to me! However, as I've said many times before, it's impossible for me to single out any best Eagles song because I can say exactly the same thing about so many of them.

Freypower
08-21-2013, 06:43 PM
D'you know how eyes are the window to the soul or whatever? Well, I used to try to 'read' people by making eye contact, and most of the time it actually works. If you become good enough at it, you can often tell when a person's lying, or when they're nervous, or sad, or happy, or interested, or excited, etc.

I used to fancy this lovely German girl who was, well, basically what the song describes. The eyes, the smile, the strength, the secrecy, the bit about 'pouring herself a strong one'...

That's what I find fascinating about music, and how you can sort of incorporate lyrics to your own life, as if the songwriters had penned them with your own little world in mind.

I also think the songs you really like at a certain time are reflect where you are in life, especially regarding love, of course. There was a time that I was obsessed with Beatles' 'Here, There and Everywhere', because it was a more, er, idealistic, if you will, type of love: attached, beautiful, codependant ('I want her everywhere...').

'Lyin' Eyes', while not describing love itself, describes a more realistic person. Paradoxically enough, those qualities that us men often tend to find risky or threatening about girls (such as the ability to be in control, cheat, etc.), are also the ones that could be the most endearing of them all. I was never able to 'crack' the code of what the German girl was about, and that made me want her even more. Just so you know, it didn't have a happy ending: she never liked me and our friendship was ruined, but whatever, life goes on :D

That was the long answer. Short one: I think it's a perfectly crafted song, both lyrically and musically. I love the harmonies, the way it tells the story, the way music and words connect to, and interact with, each other. I think the 'core' of it is so beuatifully simple and direct that there's no way around it, but at the same time it's got so many levels that you can always find (or create) different meanings between the lines. The perfect amalgamation of a wonderful poem and a wonderful composition. Very, very few musical pieces ever get to do that (usually lyrics are great but music not so much or viceversa).

I love that. Thank you so much. The only thing I would have added is the effect of the lead vocal, one of Glenn's finest performances. I like how all three people are caught up in their own little worlds, to use a phrase from another song. The husband knows what the wife is doing. The lover, a shadowy figure, knows she won't stay with him. As for her... well, we know how she feels about it all.

(My sympathies about the German lady; as for your mention of the wonderful Here, There & Everywhere, a song from IMO the greatest album every made, compare that with the sentiments in another song from that album, For No-One). I'm not going to start about the Beatles but it's an interesting comparison.

Sebastian
08-21-2013, 07:13 PM
Oh, yeah, I had a For No-One phase as well, when I was about 19 and had faced quite an awful heartbreak.

Another of the many aspects I love about 'Lyin' Eyes' is the Simon/Garfunkel-esque two-part harmony that Glenn and Don make at some points, it's so beautiful and the way those two voices blend is IMO absolutely perfect. As a contrast, 'Take It Easy' (another song I adore) doesn't have the same magic (IMO) when it comes to just Glenn and Don; Glenn and Randy, on the other hand, are just brilliant in that song.

I'd say 'Take It Easy' is definitely in my top five, together with 'Peaceful Easy Feeling', 'The Last Resort' and the odd one out: 'Get Over It'. I just love the lyrics of that one, and of course the guitar solos.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-17-2013, 10:49 AM
One of These Nights
Take It to the Limit
Desperado
Hotel California
Wasted Time
Best of My Love
Victim of Love
Try and Love again
My Man

I know that it said song, but this is my top 10.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-17-2013, 12:23 PM
Wow, Thrill, we agree on the top one, but after that, it's a lot different! Anyway, just love OOTN, and I'm so glad they've put it back in the setlist.

I think we have a thread somewhere about what songs you'd have to have if you were stranded on an island somewhere where people list their top Eagles songs. Might be one for all artists, too.

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-17-2013, 12:34 PM
Yes, OOTN is my all time favorite.

moonlight74
12-17-2013, 03:57 PM
My favorite is Try and Love again

My top 10:

-Best of My Love
-Bitter Creek
-Desperado
-Earlybird
-Midnight Flyer
-One Day At A Time
-One Of These Nights
-Take It to the Limit
-Train Leaves Here This Morning
-Try and Love again

NYC Fan
12-17-2013, 04:18 PM
I can't pick an order, so i just went in chronological order until i hit my 10 favorite songs. So hard to choose! Guess I like the OOTN album more than I realized ;-)

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Take it Easy
Desperado
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Lyin’ Eyes
Take it to the Limit
Hollywood Waltz
Wasted Time
The Last Resort

luna65
12-17-2013, 06:38 PM
It's so hard to choose just one! So I'm going to cheat and name a favorite from each album:
"Earlybird" - I just love the vibe of this song; the harmonies, the chord progression, it has that perfect country-rock feel to it.
"Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)" - this is especially hard because I really love Desperado and I think this is my favorite because it does reprise the two most memorable themes of the concept. But "Bitter Creek" is a close second.
"Good Day in Hell" - As I noted, On The Border is my favorite album, I think it works the best as an album and this song edges out the title track only just slightly. But it cracks me up, I think it's a great example of the kind of songwriting partnership Don and Glenn had in terms of the humor and their musical affinity.
"After The Thrill Is Gone" - Don was/is totally prescient in many ways but perhaps none so much as this song: in life, in love, in music. And their vocals are gorgeous, ye gods.
"New Kid In Town" - this was a toughie too but I think it's Glenn's finest moment and just a perfect song.
"Those Shoes" - brilliant social satire/commentary (even an unlikely feminist credo of sorts) and a totally badass tune. But "King of Hollywood" is a close second.
"Learn To Be Still" - I know this is a song which belongs more to Don than the band, but it's beautiful and poignant.
"Long Road Out of Eden" - the prog lover in me had to choose the epic, of course. :p

Zanny Kingston
12-17-2013, 06:43 PM
My top 10 in no particular order:

I cant tell you why
Take it easy
One of these nights
Best of my Love
James Dean
Already Gone
New Kid in Town
Seven Bridges Road
Waiting in the weeds
Wasted Time

Midnight Visitor
12-17-2013, 06:49 PM
Top 5. No particular order....

HC
Outlaw Man
Pretty Maids
Witchy Woman
LITFL

thelastresort
12-17-2013, 08:15 PM
I'm feeling a bit left out here, I can't stand OOTN. Sorry guys!

Anyway, a top 10 as things stand (in reverse):
10) Midnight Flyer - dat outro :P
9) New Kid in Town - perpetually in the top 10, love last verse (Where you been lately...)
8) PMAIAR - beautiful, absolutely beautiful
7) Outlaw Man - found a new love for this song after seeing the Seattle '76 version
6) How Long - the version they did back in their early days I think was one of their best rock songs pre-HC
5) My Man - like PMAIAR, so beautiful. Easily Bernie's best Eagles song
4) Doolin-Dalton - the harmonica at the start is one of my favourite bits of Eagles music. So, so glad it's made a return for HOTE
3) Hotel California - again another constant in the top 10. I don't think I need to give reasons
2) Hollywood Waltz - one of their most underrated songs ever. If they had played it, well, ever, I believe it would have become a concert stapke
1) Ol' 55 - the harmonies on it are out of this world, and Bernie's steel pedal guitar is just divine.

Midnight Visitor
12-17-2013, 09:36 PM
The live version of Outlaw Man from that Seattle show is what did it for me as well. I had forgotten the Eagles covered that song. The version with Joe is amazing!

luna65
12-18-2013, 12:56 AM
Ooops, forgot "Funky New Year," I busted that out tonight just so I could hear Don say "My hair hurts!" :rofl:
What year is this, anyway?

shunlvswx
12-18-2013, 01:10 AM
My favorite songs
1. Hotel California
2. New Kid In Town
3. Doolin' Dalton
4. Doolin' Dalton/Desperado Reprise
5. How Long
6. Already Gone
7. Wasted Time
8. Best of My Love
9. The Long Run
10. Desperado

Honorable Mention
1. In The City
2. Life in The Fast Lane
3. Lyin' Eyes

The Thrill Is Never Gone
12-20-2013, 10:52 AM
Desperado!!

SoaringRockyMountainWay
12-20-2013, 01:18 PM
I love so many Eagles songs. This was a hard decision but here's my top ten:
1. Hotel California
2. Take It Easy
3. Already Gone
4. One of These Nights
5. Long Run
6. Desperado
7. Take It to the Limit
8. Pretty Maids All in a Row
9. Heartache Tonight
10. In the City
Honorable Mention:
Victim of Love
Life in the Fast Lane
Lyin' Eyes

Jonny Come Lately
07-01-2015, 01:05 PM
After mentioning favourite songs in another thread I realised that in over six months on here I have yet to make any kind of list of my favourite Eagles songs. I think it's time to change that.

When it comes to the Eagles, my favourite songs are also the songs I consider to be their best so I feel I can use these terms interchangeably, something I can't always do (by this I mean that I can think of songs that I admire but don't really enjoy, or songs that I enjoy even though they are fairly unremarkable). A song like Tryin', which I think is a fairly good (not great) song but one I enjoy listening to a lot, would not be anywhere near the top of my list of Eagles songs.

They have far too many songs I love for to be able to restrict my list to just a top ten, but I find it tricky to define an exact top 20. Therefore I will define a clear top 15 songs, listed in chronological order of release:
- Take It Easy
- Witchy Woman
- Doolin-Dalton
- Desperado
- Doolin-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
- Already Gone
- My Man
- One Of These Nights
- Hotel California
- New Kid In Town
- Life In The Fast Lane
- The Last Resort
- The Sad Café
- Waiting In The Weeds
- Long Road Out Of Eden

I'm afraid I can't sort these in any meaningful order of preference, different songs appeal to me in different days so for instance if I am in a mellow mood and would prefer some largely acoustic country rock I'd favour Doolin-Dalton and My Man, whereas if I want to rock it would be Hotel California and LITFL. All these 15 songs are very special to me for various reasons.

The remaining five slots in my top 20 would probably go to any of the following songs (the others would make up my 'honourable mentions'), again in chronological order:
- Take The Devil
- Peaceful Easy Feeling
- Tequila Sunrise
- Bitter Creek
- Good Day In Hell
- The Best Of My Love
- Lyin' Eyes
- Take It To The Limit
- After The Thrill Is Gone
- Victim Of Love
- Try And Love Again
- The Long Run
- Those Shoes
- How Long
- Somebody

Which five of these would make my top 20 would again vary from day to day, but all of these songs are also top quality in my view.

Looking back at my choices, I realised after saying that I would find it difficult to give an exact list but somehow I have managed to name a top 30 in the end. The breakdown by album is as follows:

Eagles - 4
Desperado - 5
On The Border - 4
One Of These Nights - 4
Hotel California - 5
The Long Run - 3
Long Road Out Of Eden - 4

There's still several songs I absolutely love which I have been forced to leave out, but I have to stop somewhere. I'm quite sad that I didn't include a single Joe or Tim vocal, nothing from HFO either although I am less worried about that as there were only four new songs (Get Over It was probably closest to making my list, although I really like Learn To Be Still as well, but the other two aren't favourites of mine unfortunately).

However, I am pleased to say that all seven of their studio albums are represented in my list, and I was quite surprised how evenly spread my choices were across the seven. I would contrast this with another of my favourite bands, Led Zeppelin, where nearly all of the songs I love are from the first six albums, with the last three only really having 3 or 4 genuine big favourites of mine.

NightMistBlue
07-01-2015, 01:22 PM
But what if you could only pick one? That was the original poster's premise if I understood her correctly.

It's way too hard to pick just one Eagles song, but if you were forced to choose - upon pain of death or lengthy exposure to rap music - what would you choose? My heart says "Witchy Woman." It's not their greatest, most worthy artistic statement but it's thrilling, powerful music that never gets old.

thelastresort
07-01-2015, 01:27 PM
This is my top seven - not in exact order but pretty close:

New Kid in Town
Doolin-Dalton / Desperado (Reprise)
The Last Resort
Saturday Night
Doolin-Dalton
Long Road Out of Eden

One very boring day back in early spring I made a list of every Eagles song to this effect, split up into brackets of how much I like them, and those above are the top tier. Any of those in the next tier (numbers 8-21) could easily make the final three places, depending on my mood; but the seven listed are set in stone. If I was doing the top ten today, it would probably be Sad Cafe, Waiting in the Weeds and Tequila Sunrise.

Jonny Come Lately
07-01-2015, 01:29 PM
If I could only pick one then I think I'd have to go for Take It Easy, on the grounds that it is probably the single Eagles song that I've listened to most. I've loved every version of it I have ever heard them do - the studio original of course, but also the stripped back, mostly acoustic Voorburg 1973 version, the California Jam performance with Jackson Browne, the rocking Washington 1977 with Joe's excellent final solo, the HFO version which confirmed that they were 'back'.

I could not pick Hotel California as my absolute favourite because although the music (especially the guitars) and the lyrics are absolutely outstanding, I think there are definitely better Eagles songs vocally (Henley's lead vocal is great, but they have plenty of songs with superior backing or harmony vocals in my view), whereas Take It Easy feels like a more 'complete' Eagles song to me. I'd say the same holds true for songs like Already Gone and One Of These Nights.

I have to agree though that it is very difficult to pick just a single Eagles one as my favourite! Too many great candidates which have different qualities to them (e.g. The Last Resort has some of the finest lyrics on any rock album IMO, whereas LITFL's main attraction to me lies in its guitar work).

I was searching for a suitable thread where I could try and make a list and this seemed to be the best one for it that wasn't tied to any poll or game thread. I apologise if I have missed a better thread for this.

thelastresort
07-01-2015, 01:30 PM
But what if you could only pick one?

I would probably go for New Kid in Town, but D-D/D (Reprise) and Long Road Out of Eden would put up a very close fight. NKIT's listenability over and over again though would probably see it through, despite the other two being more 'epic'.

Edit - 1,000th post :blueblob:

NightMistBlue
07-01-2015, 01:36 PM
I can listen to (and have listened to) TIE over and over again. I still can't play the fricking intro properly though - why the hell do they start it on the fourth beat instead of the first?! To frustrate wannabe guitarists like me I suppose. :)

Jonny Come Lately
07-01-2015, 01:37 PM
One very boring day back in early spring I made a list of every Eagles song to this effect, split up into brackets of how much I like them, and those above are the top tier. Any of those in the next tier (numbers 8-21) could easily make the final three places, depending on my mood; but the seven listed are set in stone. If I was doing the top ten today, it would probably be Sad Cafe, Waiting in the Weeds and Tequila Sunrise.

I'm quite tempted to give splitting the songs into different brackets a go myself actually, would be interesting to see how it would work out.

I have already done something vaguely similar for my favourite bands (including the Eagles), albeit mainly focussing on identifying my favourite albums rather than favourite songs, whereby I gave the songs on my favourite albums a rating out of 10 and then took an average to give the rating out of 10 for the album. I think I posted my 25 top albums by this measure on the forum although I did it for about 50 albums in total. I must admit this exercise did change my perceptions slightly (the Eagles debut album went up in my estimation, as did an album like Neil Young's Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere, whereas Fleetwood Mac's Tusk and to a lesser extent One Of These Nights came out with a ranking lower than I expected).

AlreadyGone95
07-01-2015, 02:10 PM
My list, counting down:

20. Long Road out of Eden
19. You Are Not Alone
18. Peaceful Easy Feeling
17. Desperado
16. One of These Nights
15. Somebody
14. Lyin Eyes
13. The Long Run
12. New Kid in Town
11. Witchy Woman
10. Take It Easy
9. Seven Bridges Road
8. How Long
7. James Dean
6. Heartache Tonight
5. In the City
4. Hotel California
3. Already Gone
2. Life in the Fast Lane
1. Outlaw Man

(I made this list and I forgot TITTL. It'd rank somewhere around #15)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2015, 02:19 PM
OOTN is my favorite Eagles song, but if I had to pick only one, I think I'd pick Take It Easy. It's more than a song to me. So many always try to bundle the Eagles up into one song, and it's usually always Hotel California. For me, it's Take It Easy.

AlreadyGone95
07-01-2015, 02:27 PM
I didn't see the part about picking just one. Ugh, that's tough. I want to go with Outlaw Man as its my favorite. However, HC has been in my musical brain forever. I think that I'd have to go with Life in the Fast Lane, though. There's something about that song that clicks with me a bit more than the other 2. Maybe it's because as a 12/13 y/o, I felt like such a bad*ss being able to say g*ddamn without my mom getting on my case. I can't really explain it. I think that in some ways, it transports me back in time, and for a brief few minutes, I feel like I'm part of the 70s. Does that make sense?

Funk 50
07-01-2015, 04:28 PM
Nice to know that some old threads are being revitalised. Thanks JCL.

Best Ever Song - Desperado.

Going by lead singer:
Henley; Desperado
Frey: Ol' '55
Walsh: Pretty Maids All In A Row
Schmit: I Can't Tell You Why
Leadon: I Wish You Peace
Meisner: Take It To The Limit
Felder: Visions :shrug:

I originally had King Of Hollywood down for Glenn but I'm not sure it'd qualify as a Frey lead vocal.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-01-2015, 05:27 PM
Nice to know that some old threads are being revitalised. Thanks JCL.

Best Ever Song - Desperado.

Going by lead singer:
Henley; Desperado
Frey: Ol' '55
Walsh: Pretty Maids All In A Row
Schmit: I Can't Tell You Why
Leadon: I Wish You Peace
Meisner: Take It To The Limit
Felder: Visions :shrug:

I originally had King Of Hollywood down for Glenn but I'm not sure it'd qualify as a Frey lead vocal.

Then you need another category! Dual+ Lead Vocal: King of Hollywood

Freypower
07-01-2015, 06:26 PM
Also, given that Ol '55 is also a shared lead, perhaps you need another one for Glenn. Even if it were a solo lead I wouldn't have chosen it.

The dominant voice on KOH is Don Henley. Glenn sings the high part & Don also sings part of it by himself ('after 'while....)

You can see my previous top 10 on the first page of the thread. I guess now it is this:

New Kid In Town
Lyin' Eyes
Long Road Out Of Eden
Tequila Sunrise
Take It Easy
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane
Get Over It
King Of Hollywood
Outlaw Man

This is how I feel right now. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, I'm afraid. The biggest omission is Hotel California & the other from a Frey fan's perspective is Peaceful Easy Feeling. I have heard both songs far too often. New Kid In Town is the one I choose above all others.

NOLA
07-01-2015, 06:54 PM
right now it is Life In The Fast Lane

I think it is better than Hotel California!

I also love Best of My Love

Agree, sad-cafe, for top song vote! Love LITFL so much more than HC.

To round out my top five:

2. You Never Cry Like a Lover (love Don's husky vocal)
3. Try and Love Again (the overexposure of TITTL drives me nuts! give me any other lead by Randy)
4. Learn to Be Still (for the lyrics and Don's vocal)
5. Seven Bridges Road (top-notch harmony)

For a little lagniappe:
Teenage Jail (wicked duet between Glenn and Don!)

Funk 50
07-02-2015, 12:35 PM
Also, given that Ol '55 is also a shared lead, perhaps you need another one for Glenn. Even if it were a solo lead I wouldn't have chosen it.

The dominant voice on KOH is Don Henley. Glenn sings the high part & Don also sings part of it by himself ('after 'while....)

I did spend quite a bit of time choosing the Best Ever Eagles Song!!! with Glenn as lead vocalist.

After some thought I came up with King Of Hollywood but then decided that as a joint lead vocal with Henley slightly more dominant, I needed to change my choice. It was either Ol' 55 or You Are Not Alone.

Again Ol' 55 features Don and I'm really not sure what percentage the other guys contribute to You Are Not Alone. I wouldn't want to choose a song that Glenn's the only Eagle on it. How Long also has the Henley issue. Heartache Tonight, definitely a Frey lead but has a lot of group vocals. New Kid In Town, Take It Easy, Outlaw Man and Already Gone etc. are good shouts but then I'd be down to my second string favourites.

I think I need to bend the rules slightly and say my Best Ever Eagles Song!!! with Glenn as pure lead vocalist is Lover's Moon. It's a live bootleg but otherwise it meets all the relevant criteria. :grin:

I had no such struggles with the other Eagles. Bernie's I Wish You Peace [/I ]just nudges out [I]My Man and as much as I love Try And Love Again, I can't, not vote for Take It To The Limit as Randy's top song.

Lastly. as Hotel California is picking up a lot of stick, I must say, although I didn't vote for it, I still think it's brilliant. :thumbsup:

Funk 50
07-02-2015, 01:12 PM
For a little lagniappe:
Teenage Jail (wicked duet between Glenn and Don!)

I had to look that up NOLA :grin:

My definitive Eagles lagniappe would be the glorious 4 part accapella harmonies by Glenn, Don, Randy and Bernie, that often served as an intro to Take It Easy; "My daddy was a handsome devil...."

It's one of the verses of a song titled Silver Dagger. :thumbsup:

Brooke
07-02-2015, 03:42 PM
Best Ever Eagles Song for me is and has always been Take It Easy.

I love lots of others, but this one just has 'it' for me! :heart:

DJ
07-02-2015, 09:49 PM

You can see my previous top 10 on the first page of the thread. I guess now it is this:

New Kid In Town
Lyin' Eyes
Long Road Out Of Eden
Tequila Sunrise
Take It Easy
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane
Get Over It
King Of Hollywood
Outlaw Man

This is how I feel right now. I don't listen to them as much as I used to, I'm afraid. The biggest omission is Hotel California & the other from a Frey fan's perspective is Peaceful Easy Feeling. I have heard both songs far too often. New Kid In Town is the one I choose above all others.''

New Kid is a great Frey lead but I agree with Ol' 55 because it's so soulful.

Meisner- Take The Devil & TITTL of course
Henley Desperado-reprise, it makes me cry.
Walsh- Rocky Mtn. Way. Favorite since I was a teen.
Leadon- Nightingale- Although the chirping thing is annoying.
Frey- Ol 55 and New Kid in Town
Schmit- I Can't Tell You Why
Felder- Can't think of one........didn't really listen to him solo

Jonny Come Lately
07-06-2015, 05:07 PM
DJ, I guess you meant Earlybird for Bernie? Nightingale is sung by Don Henley and has no bird chirping. Their titles are similar and they are from the same album so definitely understandable.

I'll have a go at the 'one song per lead singer' idea F50 started. It's quite a nice way to get an overview of my favourites by each vocalist. However, I have to include the Don/Glenn duets as a separate category (there are eight of them in total if the IMO questionable King Of Hollywood is included - which I tend to think of as Henley vocal, Glenn's voice just isn't that prominent when not listening closely, I feel - the same as the total number of vocals by Joe and Tim combined).

Don Henley - I have to say I think this one is extremely challenging as he has probably sung the widest range of songs with the band and therefore I have to take a song which has one of his absolute best vocals. So on balance I will say... The Last Resort.
Glenn - Take It Easy, on the grounds that I've already named it as my probable choice as overall favourite.
Glenn/Don duet - Doolin-Dalton
Randy - It's difficult to ignore the magnificent TITTL, but the truth is my favourite is Take The Devil.
Bernie - My Man (although Bitter Creek is not far off)
Joe - Quite close between In The City and PMAIAR, although I think the former edges it as a song, the latter wins if considering Joe's vocal alone.
Tim - I Can't Tell You Why. Do Something would be second FWIW.
Don Felder - erm... Visions, I guess. Not much choice here!

When it comes to Hotel California I love it and still enjoy it as much as I ever have although I can understand why some people are sick of it. I can particularly understand this feeling in the US, as the song is played so often (especially on the more predictable classic rock radio stations). Here I can understand burn out with something like Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way, which as much as I love it is definitely overplayed, but I don't hear HC anywhere near often enough (outside of my own choice) for this to be an issue for me.

Hotel California IMO is an absolutely outstanding song lyrically and musically, with its superb outro solos, iconic introduction and hugely memorable and creative scenarios, but its only slight weakness as an Eagles song is that they definitely have songs with better harmony vocals (PMAIAR and especially NKIT being the two standout examples from the album). Having said this, Don Henley's lead vocal is great and suits the song very well and when compared with the other iconic classic rock songs it stands up in all respects, including vocally. It's simply that the Eagles backing vocals are better than just about every other act in their field and I feel they better demonstrate these abilities on other songs.

AlreadyGone95
07-07-2015, 03:40 PM
Doing one song per singer: (not including Don Felder cause he only has Visions lol)

Glenn Frey- Outlaw Man (my favorite Eagles song, so I have to pick it)
Don Henley- Life in the Fast Lane
Bernie Leadon- My Man
Randy Meisner- Too Many Hands
Joe Walsh- In the City
Timothy B. Schmit- I Don't Want to Hear Anymore
Glenn/ Don co-lead: How Long
Bonus- instrumental: Journey of the Sorcerer

If anyone is interested, I made this list ( https://rateyourmusic.com/list/motormouth16/eagles_ranked/) of my favorite Eagles songs and ranking of their albums.

DJ
07-07-2015, 03:47 PM
DJ, I guess you meant Earlybird for Bernie? Nightingale is sung by Don Henley and has no bird chirping. Their titles are similar and they are from the same album so definitely understandable.

I'll have a go at the 'one song per lead singer' idea F50 started. It's quite a nice way to get an overview of my favourites by each vocalist. However, I have to include the Don/Glenn duets as a separate category (there are eight of them in total if the IMO questionable King Of Hollywood is included - which I tend to think of as Henley vocal, Glenn's voice just isn't that prominent when not listening closely, I feel - the same as the total number of vocals by Joe and Tim combined).

Don Henley - I have to say I think this one is extremely challenging as he has probably sung the widest range of songs with the band and therefore I have to take a song which has one of his absolute best vocals. So on balance I will say... The Last Resort.
Glenn - Take It Easy, on the grounds that I've already named it as my probable choice as overall favourite.
Glenn/Don duet - Doolin-Dalton
Randy - It's difficult to ignore the magnificent TITTL, but the truth is my favourite is Take The Devil.
Bernie - My Man (although Bitter Creek is not far off)
Joe - Quite close between In The City and PMAIAR, although I think the former edges it as a song, the latter wins if considering Joe's vocal alone.
Tim - I Can't Tell You Why. Do Something would be second FWIW.
Don Felder - erm... Visions, I guess. Not much choice here!

When it comes to Hotel California I love it and still enjoy it as much as I ever have although I can understand why some people are sick of it. I can particularly understand this feeling in the US, as the song is played so often (especially on the more predictable classic rock radio stations). Here I can understand burn out with something like Fleetwood Mac's Go Your Own Way, which as much as I love it is definitely overplayed, but I don't hear HC anywhere near often enough (outside of my own choice) for this to be an issue for me.

Hotel California IMO is an absolutely outstanding song lyrically and musically, with its superb outro solos, iconic introduction and hugely memorable and creative scenarios, but its only slight weakness as an Eagles song is that they definitely have songs with better harmony vocals (PMAIAR and especially NKIT being the two standout examples from the album). Having said this, Don Henley's lead vocal is great and suits the song very well and when compared with the other iconic classic rock songs it stands up in all respects, including vocally. It's simply that the Eagles backing vocals are better than just about every other act in their field and I feel they better demonstrate these abilities on other songs.

Yep JCL I did mean Earlybird. DUH on my part. I do like Nightingale too.

TheWalrus1964
08-05-2015, 02:43 AM
Like everyone else has said I like too many songs to put in a list, but if I had to choose I would probably go with Take it to the Limit

Top 10 List:
1.Take it to the Limit
2. Take the Devil
3. Take it Easy
4. Midnight Flyer
5. The Last Resort
6. New Kid in Town
7.Already Gone
8.Desperado
9.Witchy Woman
10. Try and Love Again
HM. Heartache Tonight