PDA

View Full Version : Which never-before-performed song should they add to the setlist?

sodascouts
08-23-2012, 11:06 PM
As I said in the other poll, it's been strongly hinted that for the 2013 tour, there will be changes. I figured it would be fun to take a poll as to which songs that they've never played before that they could play for the first time on this tour.

Compiling this list was actually harder than I thought, because if you exclude the ex-member songs, almost all of the songs in the back catalog have been performed live at one time or another by the band (solo doesn't count). Maybe they were performed just once like The Last Resort or just a few times like The Sad Cafe, but the older songs have almost all been played. As such, this list is pretty LROOE heavy.

The only older non-LROOE, non-ex-band member songs besides the two above that have never been played (to the best of my knowledge) are The Disco Strangler, Get You in the Mood, Hollywood Waltz, Most of Us Are Sad (sung by Randy, but a Glenn song), Nightingale, and Teenage Jail.

I used our "dream setlist" thread as a guide for the 10 poll choices, which is why those didn't make it (although Hollywood Waltz was close).

Again, as I said elsewhere, most of us would want MORE than one song to be added, but for the purposes of the poll, you just get to pick one.

sodascouts
08-23-2012, 11:55 PM
I created this poll, but I can't decide! For me, it's either "Do Something" or "What Do I Do with My Heart." I like the quasi-duet aspect of both of those and WDIDWMH is one of my top 3 songs from LROOE. On the other hand, "Do Something" would give Tim a little more time to shine. Still thinking about it.

Freypower
08-24-2012, 01:36 AM
Very difficult. But I went with WDIDWMH because it's never been performed live in any way, and Glenn & Don duetting on it would be awesome to watch.

I adore YANA (which I was lucky enough to see last year) but I can't see the Eagles doing it live. I love IYWN but it's not the most cheerful of songs. I don't see why it couldn't work though now that Glenn has actually performed it. Also I have said often enough that I would always have had Do Something, not IDWTHAM.

As for ILTWAWD I would die to see that; but the Eagles would never do it and I am in a very small number of people who love the song.

For the list I would have also considered FGOTBP & BAU so Don could have a 'rant'. BAU is perhaps more 'Eagley' than FG.

Koala
08-24-2012, 02:56 AM
hmm, even harder than the other Poll! I have 3 favorites can't still make a decision yet! Must to think about it and listen to music!

EaglesKiwi
08-24-2012, 04:35 AM
This one was easy for me. WDIDWMH is in my top 3 Eagles songs, and I have heard both of the other two live (LROOE and WITW).

VAisForEagleLovers
08-24-2012, 08:23 AM
I picked What Do I Do With My Heart simply because it's one of my favorites songs.

TimothyBFan
08-24-2012, 08:29 AM
Darn, Disco Strangler wasn't on the list! My husband would of loved that and done his best to have it dedicated to Soda. :hilarious:

I voted for On The Border (SURPRISE!! You all thought I would go with DS, didn't you?) because it is an old song that people would probably know. My second and third choices would of been off LROOE with Do Something and Last Good Time In Town. But I also think I would like to hear What Do I Do With My Heart.

luvthelighthouse
08-24-2012, 02:43 PM
Without hesitation, I voted for Do Something. I actully, really enjoy the message of the song. Also, how nice would it be to see TBS "do something" else? Oh, and he co-wrote it... so yes, Do Something is it. :thumbsup:

GlennLover
08-24-2012, 03:37 PM
I chose WDIDWMH. I pretty much agree with FP's comments. I love YANA but I also saw it performed last year by Glenn. I also would die to hear ILTWAWD, but it is more of a solo song. OTB is one song that I have grown quite fond of although I would rank it below WDIDWMH. Love the back & forth betweem Glenn & Don on the latter.

zeldabjr
08-24-2012, 04:57 PM
I had to vote for Do Something...I don't want to start on how little Timothy gets to sing but...he really does have the most beautiful voice...:angel::heart:

WalshFan88
08-24-2012, 05:33 PM
On The Border!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-24-2012, 07:50 PM
I picked What Do I Do With My Heart simply because it's one of my favorites songs.
I agree VA and JAhh said the same thing but we only wote once

Ive always been a dreamer
08-25-2012, 01:26 PM
Well - I went against the grain a bit with my vote here. I went with I Dreamed There Was No War. To me, it is a beautiful piece of music, and it is inexplicable to me why this grammy award winning song isn't included as an interlude somewhere in the live shows.

My second choice is On the Border. I've always wondered why they never played this. Perhaps that would be a good one to try in the next tour. My third choice would be What Do I Do With My Heart. I love this song, and I think it would play well live.

SallyGee
08-29-2012, 09:00 PM
Of course I had to vote for Do Something. I really think Timothy is so underused. And it is a beautiful song.

sodascouts
08-29-2012, 11:14 PM
It really is - and it works thematically with the band, too!

zeldabjr
08-29-2012, 11:37 PM
Of course I had to vote for Do Something. I really think Timothy is so underused. And it is a beautiful song.

underused? don't get me started...I wonder how he really feels about getting to sing only one song?..he would never rock the boat or voice his real feelings but I wonder...

GlennLover
08-30-2012, 03:57 PM
Well - I went against the grain a bit with my vote here. I went with I Dreamed There Was No War. To me, it is a beautiful piece of music, and it is inexplicable to me why this grammy award winning song isn't included as an interlude somewhere in the live shows.

My second choice is On the Border. I've always wondered why they never played this. Perhaps that would be a good one to try in the next tour. My third choice would be What Do I Do With My Heart. I love this song, and I think it would play well live.

I have wondered why thet never played IDTWNM too. It's not a long song &as you said, it is a Grammy winner after all. But, we all know who wrote it & who plays lead guitar on it & that he has been cutting more of his vocal leads over the past few years . :sad:

sodascouts
08-30-2012, 05:59 PM
I have wondered why thet never played IDTWNM too. It's not a long song &as you said, it is a Grammy winner after all. But, we all know who wrote it & who plays lead guitar on it & that he has been cutting more of his vocal leads over the past few years . :sad:
But that song has no vocal!

08-30-2012, 08:45 PM
As far as I Dreamed There Was No War - again, I have no idea why they don't play it. I remember that one of the nights he played the song in Niagara Falls in 2006, he said that his fingers were screaming at him, so it may be that his arthritis bothers him too much. However, in an Eagles concert, Glenn wouldn't even have to play it. They could handle it similar to the way they did Silent Spring. Michael Thompson played that on the piano, so perhaps Steuart Smith could play the guitar solo for IDTWNW. Oh well - enough of my rant.

And zelda - I agree that Timothy is underused to some extent in Eagles shows, but I honestly think he must be okay with it. The problem is that Tim joined the band a little late and the band dynamics were already established by that point. I think he has always understood and accepted his role in the band. Even if he isn't totally okay with it, I guess the other advantages of being an Eagles outweigh the disadvantages.

Freypower
08-30-2012, 09:30 PM
As far as I Dreamed There Was No War - again, I have no idea why they don't play it. I remember that one of the nights he played the song in Niagara Falls in 2006, he said that his fingers were screaming at him, so it may be that his arthritis bothers him too much. However, in an Eagles concert, Glenn wouldn't even have to play it. They could handle it similar to the way they did Silent Spring. Michael Thompson played that on the piano, so perhaps Steuart Smith could play the guitar solo for IDTWNW. Oh well - enough of my rant.

And zelda - I agree that Timothy is underused to some extent in Eagles shows, but I honestly think he must be okay with it. The problem is that Tim joined the band a little late and the band dynamics were already established by that point. I think he has always understood and accepted his role in the band. Even if he isn't totally okay with it, I guess the other advantages of being an Eagles outweigh the disadvantages.

My opinion is that I would not see the point of IDTWNW being performed if it were not Glenn playing it. I see the analogy but it's a much better known piece of music than Silent Spring and it couldn't just be dashed off by one of the backing musicians. It is also far more a solo piece than an 'Eagles' song. Just like ILTWAWD.

Glenn just doesn't seem to enjoy showcasing his guitar playing during Eagles shows (and as we know, he is doing less guitar work during his own shows now).

08-30-2012, 10:04 PM
Well Silent Spring is a real solo song and I still think it worked beautifully with Michael playing it as a prelude to the acoustic set. To me, I Dreamed There Was No War would work equally as well with Steuart playing it. During the LROOE tour, the acoustic set prelude was a song that I didn't even recognize - it wasn't an Eagles song or a solo song. I was pretty perplexed about that when they had a grammy award winning song off of the album they could have played instead. As far as IDTWNW being a much better known piece of music than Silent Spring - I'm not really convinced about that. I guess that may be somewhat true if you base that on album sales alone.

Freypower
08-30-2012, 10:17 PM
No doubt it would work with Steuart playing it but why should it? It was originally played by Glenn. If anyone were to play it he should. It is not the same as Steuart having to play Felder's solos.

08-30-2012, 10:46 PM
Silent Spring was also originally played by Glenn. However, the Eagles don't take the stage during the prelude so Glenn couldn't play it just like he wouldn't play IDTWNW if it were the prelude. Don't get me wrong - I would absolutely love to see Glenn play it, but he probably wouldn't want to play it regularly since he has said that playing guitar aggravates his arthritis. So my point is I'd rather have Steuart play it as a prelude rather that to not include it at all.

I guess this is just another one of those things where we'll just have to agree to disagree.

GlennLover
08-31-2012, 07:38 AM
But that song has no vocal!

Oh, I know. I just meant that the amount of his guitar playing will probably go the same way as his lead vocals. There would be less of that too.

Prettymaid
09-01-2012, 05:48 PM
Guess what I voted for??? Just look at my sig! Lol!

Those who know me well know that I have to put a vote in for Last Good Time in Town. From the first time I heard it I loved it! Everything about it (even the whispering,Soda) makes me smile. I think they would have a lot of fun doing it live. However, I feel I'm being a bit selfish here, and honestly, I'd really like to hear On The Border, but I couldn't let LGTIT go without a vote!

Stayin' at home - stayin' at home...

sodascouts
09-13-2012, 12:25 AM
It looks like our winners at this point are "On the Border" and "What Do I Do with My Heart." Interesting!

Freypower
09-13-2012, 05:55 PM
At the risk of being controversial to me On The Border was written for a very specific time (the Watergate era). It's of its time (i.e. somewhat dated) and I don't think it would work these days. I like listening to it but I'm not sure that I would want to see it done live.

Witchy Woman
09-13-2012, 07:30 PM
Personally, I would love to hear The Last Resort live. The version they played on HFO was absolutely fantastic, and I listen to it often. So, I chose none of the above !! Lol !!

sodascouts
11-19-2012, 12:16 PM
Just found a bootleg with "You Never Cry Like a Lover" on it. They have played it before after all. My bad!

Brooke
11-19-2012, 02:47 PM
Soda, I'm sure you are very sad you didn't get to see that one live! :hilarious:

Freypower
11-19-2012, 04:38 PM
Just found a bootleg with "You Never Cry Like a Lover" on it. They have played it before after all. My bad!

Is that Welcome To The Late Show, Australia January 1976? I've got that. It's not a full show. Glenn doesn't sound very enthusiastic when he introduces the song.