10-14-2012, 08:32 PM
I thought rt 66 was a great song.

here we go again..

after hours

Freypower
10-14-2012, 08:36 PM
The Shadow Of Your Smile

----

I'm massively disappointed Route 66 was voted off. By far the best one on there AFAIC. I prefer it to the sappy dramatic stuff. The only other one I really like is For Sentimental Reasons, which I hope wins this thing.

I love Route 66 deeply, but I must beg to differ with you concerning your use of the phrase 'sappy dramatic stuff'. Of course this album wasn't really going to appeal to you. But why don't you also think FSR is 'sappy'? For me, if I were going to use that word to describe any of these songs, FSR is precisely the song for which I would use it.

And I will continue to plough my lonely furrow, even though, yes, I am almost the only person who has voted for it. I vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

WalshFan88
10-14-2012, 09:08 PM
I love Route 66 deeply, but I must beg to differ with you concerning your use of the phrase 'sappy dramatic stuff'. Of course this album wasn't really going to appeal to you. But why don't you also think FSR is 'sappy'? For me, if I were going to use that word to describe any of these songs, FSR is precisely the song for which I would use it.

And I will continue to plough my lonely furrow, even though, yes, I am almost the only person who has voted for it. I vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

FSR just appeals to me more I guess. You're right in that this stuff is not normally stuff I listen to but I loved R66 and FSR for whatever reason. To me most of the others didn't do much for me. I did like After Hours (the song).

Ive always been a dreamer
10-14-2012, 09:49 PM
Wow, I'm so relieved that "The Shadow of Your Smile" is still around!

Now, if I had my druthers, my next one to vote off would be "The Look of Love." However, "For Sentimental Reasons" might be best for a coalition vote because of previous votes, but I notice only FP has voted for it in the past, so... I'm not sure how people feel. I guess I'll wait and see!

Soda, I'm with you here all the way - very glad that The Shadow of Your Smile is still in the game. I would also personally prefer to see The Look of Love go next, but I really think based on Freypower's vote and timfan's comment that the best chance of saving The Shadow of Your Smile again is to form a coalition around For Sentimental Reasons. I think we are going to need every possible vote to save it. So I urge everyone join the coalition ...

SAVE 'THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE'!

VOTE FOR 'FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS'!

TimothyBFan
10-15-2012, 07:53 AM
Oops--- I missed last round but my vote for TSOYS wouldn't have saved Route 66 anyways.

As for For Sentimental Reasons, I just love that song. Always have. Wayne Newton did a version of it I remember from waaaaaay back and you all know he's my guilty pleasure.

I vote for The Shadow Of Your Smile once again.

scottside
10-15-2012, 09:21 AM
I also vote for Shadow Of Your Smile.

sodascouts
10-15-2012, 10:44 AM
Well, it pains me, but in order to save "The Shadow of Your Smile"....

I cast my vote for "For Sentimental Reasons."

....although my reasons are purely strategic!

timfan
10-15-2012, 10:46 AM
I'll jump on .... I vote for "For Sentimental Reasons"

Glennhoney
10-15-2012, 11:43 AM
..has to be "The look of love:-("....I LOVE SENTIMENTAL REASONS!!

sodascouts
10-15-2012, 03:13 PM
For those that love "The Shadow of Your Smile" - a tie won't do! It has more prior votes, so in order to remain, it has to have fewer votes this round outright. Every vote counts! You could be the deal-maker or the deal-breaker!

SAVE "THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE"!

VOTE "FOR SENTIMENTAL REASONS"!

Brooke
10-15-2012, 03:14 PM
I will join the coalition too and vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

I would have voted for The Look of Love though. I'm just not as crazy about the way he sings it with the stopping at certain points. I don't know if that's the way the original is done or not, but I keep wanting him to go on without the stopping. :shrug:

Glennsallnighter
10-15-2012, 03:53 PM
To be honest I cannot bring myself to vote off either 'The Shadow Of Your Smile' or 'For Sentimental Reasons'. Both would feature in my top 3 and even then it's hard to separate them, although I prefer FSR slightly more tha the former. It appears that one of the two is destined to go down anyway, sothis round I think I will vote strategically for 'The Look Of Love'

Freypower
10-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I will join the coalition too and vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

I would have voted for The Look of Love though. I'm just not as crazy about the way he sings it with the stopping at certain points. I don't know if that's the way the original is done or not, but I keep wanting him to go on without the stopping. :shrug:

Well, that's the way the song is arranged. It's typical of Bacharach - David songs. They have these falls & rises (think of Do You Know The Way To San Jose, Walk On By, This Guy's In Love With You, etc).

Henley Honey
10-15-2012, 05:49 PM
I vote for: The Shadow of Your Smile

I like it, but I prefer For Sentimental Reasons.

prayfordaylight
10-16-2012, 12:10 PM
After Hours. I just can't pick between the others yet.

timfan
10-16-2012, 01:17 PM
I am somewhat suprised to see the number of votes for After Hours this early but I guess if anything this game has been unpredictable LOL :thumbsup:

10-16-2012, 02:41 PM
ITA, timfan that this game has been one of our most unpredictable ones we've played. But, it's getting to that time of the game where we have to vote off songs that we really like. As I said before, if I had voted for the song I wanted to eliminate this round, I would have voted for The Look of Love. I'm wondering now what the results of this round would be if that song had been targeted for the coalition. Based on the way the votes are going, I'm thinking it wouldn't have been much difference, but who knows. Anyway, with most of the votes in, The Shadow of Your Smile and For Sentimental Reasons are tied (including my vote). As Soda said, The Shadow of Your Smile will go down in the event of a tie. So, crossing my fingers that there's still someone who will come along and support the coalition, even if it means you have to vote for another song that you love ...

I cast my vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

GlennLover
10-16-2012, 02:47 PM
I am somewhat suprised to see the number of votes for After Hours this early but I guess if anything this game has been unpredictable LOL :thumbsup:

I am surprised too, tf!

I am not ready to see "The Shadow of Your Smile" go yet.

Even though I love SR it is my next choice to vote off anyway so I cast my vote for For Sentimental Reasons.

Freypower
10-16-2012, 04:33 PM

That is putting it mildly. It would not surprise me at all if FSR actually wins the game. :fear:

timfan
10-16-2012, 07:54 PM
Another close round.. has there been any round in this game that hasn't been close?

10-16-2012, 08:32 PM
In another nailbiter of a round, the next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is For Sentimental Reasons. “For Sentimental Reasons”, I hope you do believe me when I say how sentimental I am about your demise. I know you thought we’d never part, but the tribe has spoken. Now, you must please leave the island immediately.

Votes
For Sentimental Reasons – 6
The Shadow of Your Smile – 5
After Hours – 3
The Look of Love – 2

Vote Breakdown
For Sentimental Reasons – Freypower
For Sentimental Reasons – sodascouts
For Sentimental Reasons – timfan
For Sentimental Reasons – Brooke
For Sentimental Reasons – Ive always been a dreamer
For Sentimental Reasons – GlennLover
The Shadow of Your Smile – whitcap
The Shadow of Your Smile – WalshFan88
The Shadow of Your Smile – TimothyBFan
The Shadow of Your Smile – scottside
The Shadow of Your Smile – Henley Honey
After Hours – zeldabjr
After Hours – Tiffanny Twisted
After Hours – prayfordaylight
The Look of Love – Glennhoney
The Look of Love – Glennsallnighter

Songs in play:
The Shadow of Your Smile (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/shadowofyoursmile.htm)
The Look of Love (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/lookoflove.htm)
After Hours (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/afterhours.htm)

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 09/28
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
It's Too Soon to Know - 10/06
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10
I Wanna Be Around - 10/12
Route 66 - 10/14
For Sentimental Reasons - 10/16

Voting for Round 12 starts now!

timfan
10-16-2012, 08:42 PM
No question this round I vote for The Shadow of your Smile

zeldabjr
10-16-2012, 08:48 PM
After Hours

10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Okay tribe - Again, I'm very glad to see The Shadow of Your Smile survive the last round. I think it's such a gorgeous and fantastic song. So let's send it to the final round. It's time for another coalition. Based on the comments from the last round ...

VOTE FOR THE LOOK OF LOVE!!!

SAVE THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!!!

sodascouts
10-16-2012, 08:49 PM
Thanks, Dreamer!

And for me, there's also no question. I've already extolled "The Shadow of Your Smile" - now let me do the same for "After Hours."

Ever since I heard the song "After Hours" years ago, I was bowled over by it. The melody, the lyrics, the soft piano, the wistful vocal - all blend together to create a moving portrait of the intersection between nostalgia and regret. I love the word-pictures it creates - the ladies dressed in fur, the rainy streets, etc; by painting those moments in time so vividly, in just a few lines you understand what was, and what is, and what can never be - you understand the entire heart of the song, all moving before your eyes like scenes in a movie. I think it's the best piece on the album, and it shows why Glenn - despite his humility about his songwriting - can stand right alongside the people he reveres.

I cast my vote for The Look of Love.

Freypower
10-16-2012, 08:55 PM
Finally I agree with what's now happening!

After Hours is only my second favourite track, but it is a masterpiece & it should be given the recognition it deserves. Think of all the years when Glenn's fans knew about this song, wondering if it would ever be recorded, and how happy we were when it happened. Perhaps newer people who don't know it's history don't feel as strongly about it. It needs to be in the final round.

As for Shadow versus TLOL I love them both. I love the urgency of TLOL, the classy sophistication of it. But Shadow is one of the most intense performances Glenn has ever given. It isn't just 'a teardrop kissed your lips/and so did I'. Listen to 'look into my eyes, my love/and see all the lovely things you are to me' & melt into it.

So because I think Shadow should be in the final round I would urge people to vote for The Look Of Love as I am doing.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2012, 09:21 PM
the shadow of your smile.......
hey i really like "the look of love" ...sorry and "after hours" isn't my fave song here but voting for it to go hasnt done a dam thing so...shadow is my vote

sodascouts
10-16-2012, 09:27 PM
Shoot, girl, not only do you vote for one of my faves but that big bright red font makes me feel like my screen is bleeding, too! :lol:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-16-2012, 09:34 PM
is this better???

I mean we are down to the two of the best out of three songs on the cd. (Hey I really liked route 66)
I am not a fan of after hours cause its his song and he wrote it and it doesnt fit with the rest of the theme of the cd of music JMO...
My voting for after hours hasnt changed in the last few rounds and I am not in the majority on it..I can see...so...of the two others, I just picked my favorite one out of them both cause no ones gonna kick off after hours and make it a douling daultin between the other two in the final round anyway...jmo again

whitcap
10-16-2012, 09:40 PM
I vote for The Shadow of Your Smile.

Koala
10-17-2012, 01:28 AM
I cast my vote for The Shadow of Your Smile

EaglesKiwi
10-17-2012, 03:25 AM
I vote for The Look of Love. :cry:

TimothyBFan
10-17-2012, 07:17 AM
My fave got voted off the last round and Route 66 is also gone, they next 2 on my list are The Look Of Love and After Hours.

My vote this round goes to The Shadow Of Your Smile again.

prayfordaylight
10-17-2012, 10:31 AM
::sigh:: Still want After Hours gone but going with what will save what I want so...

THE LOOK OF LOVE is my vote.

Brooke
10-17-2012, 11:09 AM
OMG! After Hours must win this game!

There, I've said it! It's absolutely gorgeous!

TT, he wrote it and it doesn't fit with the theme of this album? Huh? :headscratch:

And it's because he wrote it and it fits the album so perfectly! Sorry, I must disagree!

I vote for The Look of Love. Beautiful song, but should have gone down last round.

scottside
10-17-2012, 11:37 AM
I vote for The Look Of Love.

Glennhoney
10-17-2012, 12:08 PM
..my vote.."Shadow of your smile"

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 02:57 PM
OMG! After Hours must win this game!

There, I've said it! It's absolutely gorgeous!

TT, he wrote it and it doesn't fit with the theme of this album? Huh? :headscratch:

And it's because he wrote it and it fits the album so perfectly! Sorry, I must disagree!

I vote for The Look of Love. Beautiful song, but should have gone down last round.
I mean it doesnt fit cause he shouldnt have included something he did.. It should have been just songs from his parents era like he said..."songs he grew up listening too"...JMO not one he wrote to sound old like it fit with other artists songs from the era . again JMO:bow: The whole consept of the cd and the reason he did it...not to iclude what he did ..thats why it doesnt fit jmo He has said in interviews that he did the album for his parents to redo the songs he and they loved while he was growing up. To include his song that was written after the era is why I dont think it fits . JMO

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 03:16 PM
Well, you can vote for whatever reason you like TT, but I have to disagree with your logic. I think a man has a right to include songs he wrote himself on his own freaking album!

I think his parents are probably cool with that, too, lol. I can't see them going "No, don't you dare ruin this album by putting any of your own stuff on there, I'd much rather hear songs written by strangers than songs by my own son!"

Heck, I think "After Hours" would go over better with his Mom and Dad than "Same Girl," which not only isn't from their generation, it's pretty messed up in its theme.

Freypower
10-17-2012, 04:38 PM
I mean it doesnt fit cause he shouldnt have included something he did.. It should have been just songs from his parents era like he said..."songs he grew up listening too"...JMO not one he wrote to sound old like it fit with other artists songs from the era . again JMO:bow: The whole consept of the cd and the reason he did it...not to iclude what he did ..thats why it doesnt fit jmo He has said in interviews that he did the album for his parents to redo the songs he and they loved while he was growing up. To include his song that was written after the era is why I dont think it fits . JMO

Wow. I can only echo Soda's post although I disagree with her comment about the theme of Same Girl being messed up. By your logic Same Girl should not have been included either because it was released in 1981. Caroline, No was released in 1967, when Glenn was 19. (Yes, I know Same Girl was voted off first, but I love the thing passionately). He had as much right to include those songs as any others. I think it was a shrewd move to broaden the concept slightly.

I prefer to judge these songs on their merits, and for me, it is the greatest privilege to finally have this song officially recorded.

Also if you disagreed with its inclusion so much, why did it take you so long to vote for it?

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 04:55 PM
Yes, you're right FP. Upon further consideration, I have to say my presumption about his parents' reaction to "Same Girl" was probably off-base, and I regret posting that. I must remember not everyone's parents are like mine!

TT, I hope you don't feel attacked. I was just really surprised by your explanation, but of course you can vote for whatever you want, for whatever reason you want.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 05:15 PM
Fp.
I didnt vote for afterhours sooner cause I knew it was a " fave " of a lot of people and knew I would be wasting my vote since everyone else seemed to really like it.
I agree he can do whatever her wants and he picked what he wanted for his own reasons I am sure.
I understood the concept to be the songs that his parents and he grew up listening too. That being my understanding...thats why I thought I did not quite fit in. Maybe I am no expressing my self correctly. I justthought it wa out of character with the whole concept of the cd as I understoood it to be.

Thats all JMO. I really enjoyed the show we saw and hearing the cd for the first time live. :grooving: I was only trying to express that I thought the point of the cd was the odies and for that rason after hours didnt fit in. thats all

oh ***** I'm burning dinner again. Gosh I suck at cooking. and I hate it to boot

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 05:55 PM
Another super-close round so far: "Shadow of Your Smile" and "Look of Love" are currently tied. Again, every vote counts!!

Henley Honey
10-17-2012, 06:48 PM
Shadow Of Your Smile

10-17-2012, 07:05 PM
Well I would bet that Glenn's parents were thrilled to have After Hours on this album. I mean it's a song that their son wrote that fits in beautifully with the mood and concept of this album - how much better could it get for a parent. :thumbsup:

As far as the game, several of us have mentioned how surprised we are about the order of elimination of some songs. I have to say one of the biggest shocks of all for me is that The Look of Love has made it this far and could very possibly make it to the final round. I like the song well enough but it's not even close to being at the top of my list. There has really not been much discussion about the song at all. Is there anyone out there who has any thought about it and can shed some light on this?

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 07:25 PM
Well I would bet that Glenn's parents were thrilled to have After Hours on this album. I mean it's a song that their son wrote that fits in beautifully with the mood and concept of this album - how much better could it get for a parent. :thumbsup:

As far as the game, several of us have mentioned how surprised we are about the order of elimination of some songs. I have to say one of the biggest shocks of all for me is that The Look of Love has made it this far and could very possibly make it to the final round. I like the song well enough but it's not even close to being at the top of my list. There has really not been much discussion about the song at all. Is there anyone out there who has any thought about it and can shed some light on this?

I could on and on and on about it, but I'm not playing the game. :grin:

10-17-2012, 07:34 PM
Well VA, you don't have to vote in the game to participate in the discussion. I would love to hear your thoughts.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 08:21 PM
First I would say music by Bacharach and lyrics by David can't be topped by much IMO!

I've said before that I've never really cared for Dusty's version, but I've always like Andy William's version and my in-laws played it all the time (when they weren't playing Tony Bennett). I really like Diana Krall's version. These performances can't be topped by much. Yet seriously, Glenn blows them out of the water. Every time I've played this CD for people like at dinner parties, conversation stops and someone makes a comment when they hear him sing this.

To me, it's the lyrics that make this song. Glenn's arrangement surpasses Andy's and his delivery is more passionate than Diana's. But it's a song where the singer recognizes the person they're singing to loves them and instead of merely giving the same look back or saying the words, the lyrics say how very much it means to them for this person to feel this way. They talk about a look, an expression, and not the words 'I love you'. Usually, the look on someone's face says far more than words can ever express. Add to it the singer singing 'what my heart has heard well it takes my breath away' is so very powerful. This isn't two people who are merely saying 'I love you', this is two people in a moment that goes beyond those three words to places where emotion and feeling have no words.

This song and Shadow of Your Smile are the true romantic songs on this album IMO, and this one has always rocked my world. Two people with deep feelings for each other finding each other, coming together, how long he's waited for that. Putting his arms around her,hoping she never goes away. I've always wanted a man in my life who was smart enough to see those feelings in my eyes and feel honored, touched, and humbled by them and tell me that.

So that's my take on the song. Glenn's performance of it, on the album and live, is truly perfect IMO. He sings all three of the remaining songs to utter perfection.

10-17-2012, 08:46 PM
Thanks VA for your thoughtful post. I don't really disagree with you, but for some reason, the song just doesn't rock my world like it does for you. I'm trying to figure out why, and the only thing I can come up with is that I'm not crazy about the melody. While I'm totally with you about the romantic lyrics, I don't think that's necessarily true of the melody and music. They kind of seem to be disjointed with lyrics to me as opposed to The Shadow of Your Smile where everything about the song is uber romantic to me. Oh well - that's my story and I'm sticking to it. :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 08:52 PM
OK, then I'll give you this!! Hearing he was going to record The Look of Love is what had me finding this message board and joining. People can say all they want about virtual friends not being real, but it's not true. I've found real and good friends here!

Don't mean to take the thread off topic, but I've had a crappy week and you all have helped me through it. Since it really was because of this song that I found you all, it's not totally off topic!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-17-2012, 08:58 PM
I should add that I'm merely adding my perspective on why TLOL should win. However, I can give you such a perspective on each song on the album. If I could actually seriously pick one song over another, I'd be playing the game.

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 09:02 PM
Great story, VA!

I agree with VA about the lyrics to The Look of Love, but I agree with Dreamer about the melody. It seems a bit disjointed at times. That sets it under the other two songs for me.

10-17-2012, 09:07 PM
Well - now that's an awesome story, VA! You never told me that before. And hope your week gets better! :hug:

Freypower
10-17-2012, 10:24 PM
Fp.
I didnt vote for afterhours sooner cause I knew it was a " fave " of a lot of people and knew I would be wasting my vote since everyone else seemed to really like it.
I agree he can do whatever her wants and he picked what he wanted for his own reasons I am sure.
I understood the concept to be the songs that his parents and he grew up listening too. That being my understanding...thats why I thought I did not quite fit in. Maybe I am no expressing my self correctly. I justthought it wa out of character with the whole concept of the cd as I understoood it to be.

Thats all JMO. I really enjoyed the show we saw and hearing the cd for the first time live. :grooving: I was only trying to express that I thought the point of the cd was the odies and for that rason after hours didnt fit in. thats all

oh ***** I'm burning dinner again. Gosh I suck at cooking. and I hate it to boot

TT, I guess you thought I was being harsh, for which I must apologise. I understand why you thought the songs were supposed to only be 'what Glenn & his parents grew up listening to' but the point is that while he was recording it, Glenn shifted the focus & widened it to pay tribute to other favourite songwriters. Quite fittingly he also ends up paying tribute to himself. It was a long time coming.

Freypower
10-17-2012, 10:27 PM
First I would say music by Bacharach and lyrics by David can't be topped by much IMO!

I've said before that I've never really cared for Dusty's version, but I've always like Andy William's version and my in-laws played it all the time (when they weren't playing Tony Bennett). I really like Diana Krall's version. These performances can't be topped by much. Yet seriously, Glenn blows them out of the water. Every time I've played this CD for people like at dinner parties, conversation stops and someone makes a comment when they hear him sing this.

To me, it's the lyrics that make this song. Glenn's arrangement surpasses Andy's and his delivery is more passionate than Diana's. But it's a song where the singer recognizes the person they're singing to loves them and instead of merely giving the same look back or saying the words, the lyrics say how very much it means to them for this person to feel this way. They talk about a look, an expression, and not the words 'I love you'. Usually, the look on someone's face says far more than words can ever express. Add to it the singer singing 'what my heart has heard well it takes my breath away' is so very powerful. This isn't two people who are merely saying 'I love you', this is two people in a moment that goes beyond those three words to places where emotion and feeling have no words.

This song and Shadow of Your Smile are the true romantic songs on this album IMO, and this one has always rocked my world. Two people with deep feelings for each other finding each other, coming together, how long he's waited for that. Putting his arms around her,hoping she never goes away. I've always wanted a man in my life who was smart enough to see those feelings in my eyes and feel honored, touched, and humbled by them and tell me that.

So that's my take on the song. Glenn's performance of it, on the album and live, is truly perfect IMO. He sings all three of the remaining songs to utter perfection.

Beautifully expressed.

(I wish I could have written something as eloquent about Here's To Life).

I do note Dreamer's reservations about the melody, particularly the melody of the verse, but the chorus ('I can hardly wait....') is so exhilarating that it overrides that. Perhaps the melody is conveying the slight uncertainty that does pervade the song (it ends with 'don't ever go' after all).

Glennsallnighter
10-18-2012, 04:47 AM
I can't write eloquently about any song, but I will say that all the songs on 'After Hours' move me deeply, and of course, in that, I do have my favourites. And two of them have made it to the final 3 songs. :partytime:

But for this round I'll vote off 'The Look Of Love'

TimothyBFan
10-18-2012, 07:50 AM

This was basically my first thought when the discussion started about After Hours and Glenn's parents. I bet they were thrilled!

What a great point!!!

I know I haven't said much at all during this game about the album or the songs. I'm like GA, I'm unable to state my thoughts about songs as eloquently as some here on the board. I'm passionate about my music, but can't seem to translate how passionate or just what it means to me.

That being said, the one thing I can tell you about this album and this kind of music---It's not something I have ever listened to as a steady diet BUT I do enjoy it. This kind of music reminds me of some of the stuff my Mom enjoyed listening to and because of her, I fell in love with one of her favorites at a very, very young age and he is still my guilty pleasure to this day, Wayne Newton. This whole album reminds me of those songs that my Mom enjoyed listening to and the artist that sang them, like Wayne, Frank Sinatra, Sammy Davis Jr, etc.... And I get a bit reminiscent when I hear this album.

GlennLover
10-18-2012, 09:24 AM
I can't express myself as eloquently as others either, but these quotes below by Soda & FP are pretty much spot on as to the way I feel about AH & TSOYS!

And for me, there's also no question. I've already extolled "The Shadow of Your Smile" - now let me do the same for "After Hours."

Ever since I heard the song "After Hours" years ago, I was bowled over by it. The melody, the lyrics, the soft piano, the wistful vocal - all blend together to create a moving portrait of the intersection between nostalgia and regret. I love the word-pictures it creates - the ladies dressed in fur, the rainy streets, etc; by painting those moments in time so vividly, in just a few lines you understand what was, and what is, and what can never be - you understand the entire heart of the song, all moving before your eyes like scenes in a movie. I think it's the best piece on the album, and it shows why Glenn - despite his humility about his songwriting - can stand right alongside the people he reveres.

The "word pictures" were very vivid in my mind from the 1st time I heard AH, on the Mark & Brian Christmas Special. I was absolutely thrilled when Glenn announced in NF that he was making the album & calleng it "After Hours". I had no doubt that he was going to include the song AH on the album. I had remarked that I hoped he would keep the production simple. On the M&B Special it was only Glenn singing & playing piano with guitar & bass accompanying & I thought it was perfect. However, when I heard AH on the album I certainly wasn't disappointed! I think it is perfection!!!

Finally I agree with what's now happening!

After Hours is only my second favourite track, but it is a masterpiece & it should be given the recognition it deserves. Think of all the years when Glenn's fans knew about this song, wondering if it would ever be recorded, and how happy we were when it happened. Perhaps newer people who don't know it's history don't feel as strongly about it. It needs to be in the final round.

As for Shadow versus TLOL I love them both. I love the urgency of TLOL, the classy sophistication of it. But Shadow is one of the most intense performances Glenn has ever given. It isn't just 'a teardrop kissed your lips/and so did I'. Listen to 'look into my eyes, my love/and see all the lovely things you are to me' & melt into it.

So because I think Shadow should be in the final round I would urge people to vote for The Look Of Love as I am doing.

I cast my vote for The Look Of Love.

Brooke
10-18-2012, 10:39 AM
I wish I could express myself as eloquently as some of you about these songs too. About all I can say is I have loved reading some of your thoughts about them and it has given me a new appreciation for this album as a whole. Thank you. Believe me, it has grown on me a lot. At first, I really couldn't see myself listening to it much, but during this game, it hasn't left my playlist and I'm enjoying it more and more.

Freypower
10-18-2012, 04:52 PM
I wish I could express myself as eloquently as some of you about these songs too. About all I can say is I have loved reading some of your thoughts about them and it has given me a new appreciation for this album as a whole. Thank you. Believe me, it has grown on me a lot. At first, I really couldn't see myself listening to it much, but during this game, it hasn't left my playlist and I'm enjoying it more and more.

Brooke, I am so pleased to hear that!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-18-2012, 05:18 PM
TT, I guess you thought I was being harsh, for which I must apologise. I understand why you thought the songs were supposed to only be 'what Glenn & his parents grew up listening to' but the point is that while he was recording it, Glenn shifted the focus & widened it to pay tribute to other favourite songwriters. Quite fittingly he also ends up paying tribute to himself. It was a long time coming.
thanks fp.:)
every interview i had read stated about the cd and his parents.
Obviously I have missed others that stated differently.
I really enyoy the whole cd and I was blessed and lucky to see him do it live.

I do think my frave is the look of love ..such a romantic song.(Kinda like Soul Violins by hall and oates..just strikes me as romantic..jmo)

Tiffanny Twisted
10-18-2012, 05:21 PM
See...thats what I mean. Sometimes you really hear it when you get to "discuss" it with others.:hilarious::computer:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-18-2012, 07:31 PM
OK, then I'll give you this!! Hearing he was going to record The Look of Love is what had me finding this message board and joining. People can say all they want about virtual friends not being real, but it's not true. I've found real and good friends here!

Don't mean to take the thread off topic, but I've had a crappy week and you all have helped me through it. Since it really was because of this song that I found you all, it's not totally off topic!
Va,
I love this post.

I kinda feel the same.

I have met people on the board and in person and have found some fun intresting diverse people with the same good heart and loe of thie fab band:)

10-18-2012, 07:53 PM
Well - I simply have to vote for my least favorite of the remaining songs, so ...

I cast my vote for The Look of Love.

10-18-2012, 08:13 PM
The next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is The Look of Love. “The Look of Love”, I know your heart can’t disguise your disappointment. You were hoping to hear the tribe plea don’t ever go, but it was not to be. Now, you must please leave the island immediately. The two remaining songs can please step forward for the final showdown:

After Hours vs The Shadow of Your Smile

Votes
The Look of Love – 9
The Shadow of Your Smile – 7
After Hours – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Look of Love – sodascouts
The Look of Love – Freypower
The Look of Love – EaglesKiwi
The Look of Love – prayfordaylight
The Look of Love – Brooke
The Look of Love – scottside
The Look of Love – Glennsallnighter
The Look of Love – GlennLover
The Look of Love – Ive always been a dreamer
The Shadow of Your Smile – timfan
The Shadow of Your Smile – Tiffanny Twisted
The Shadow of Your Smile – whitcap
The Shadow of Your Smile – Koala
The Shadow of Your Smile – TimothyBFan
The Shadow of Your Smile – Glennhoney
The Shadow of Your Smile – Henley Honey
After Hours – zeldabjr

Songs in play:
The Shadow of Your Smile (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/shadowofyoursmile.htm)
After Hours (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/afterhours.htm)

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
It's Too Soon to Know - 10/06
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10
Route 66 - 10/14
The Look of Love - 10/18

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Voting for the final round begins now.

Freypower
10-18-2012, 08:32 PM
After Hours to win!

timfan
10-18-2012, 08:33 PM
No question...

AFTER HOURS
for the WIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

No matter the route we got here After Hours has always been the song I have felt should win this Survivor. IMO it's a beautiful piece of work that fits perfectly with the other songs. Also that Glenn would write and include it on an album dedicated to his parents makes it all the more special.

Glennhoney
10-18-2012, 08:49 PM
"AFTER HOURS" it is.....:thumbsup:

10-18-2012, 10:25 PM
Well - in spite of all the unpredictability of this game, these are the two songs that I thought would be in the final round. It was a struggle, but I'm so glad that The Shadow of Your Smile made it. I agree with most everything that has been said about After Hours, but, to me, The Shadow of Your Smile is the best of the best. As I said earlier, everything in this song fits together so beautifully to make it the perfect romantic love song. The imagery alone in the line "A teardrop kissed your lip, and so did I" makes this song worthy of winning this game to me. So ...

I cast my vote for The Shadow of Your Smile to win this game!!!

WalshFan88
10-18-2012, 10:37 PM
AFTER HOURS

Koala
10-19-2012, 01:21 AM
After Hours for the win!

zeldabjr
10-19-2012, 02:13 AM
The Shadow Of Your Smile to win!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-19-2012, 06:17 AM
:thumbsup:It wont make a difference but the shadow of your smile to win

whitcap
10-19-2012, 06:27 AM
After Hours for the win.

Glennsallnighter
10-19-2012, 06:44 AM
Definitely

AFTER HOURS

For the win!

Its a wonderfully exquisite song, perfectly written and sung with such passion and sentiment. Its a perfect song to wrap the album up with, and while I DO have plenty of favourites on the album its the one I keep coming back to and listen to again and again (often putting it on 'repeat' in the car).
I loved the story Glenn :heart: told at the LA gig about how he included it on the CD after Jack Tempchin reminded him that they had written it together for 'The Allnighter' but how it hadn't fitted in there, so it lay in wait.....
..... for a long time....

Well it has properly seen the light of day and is fast becoming one of my All time favourites EVER of Glenn :heart:s songs

TimothyBFan
10-19-2012, 08:00 AM
After Hours for the win!

Love how they wrote it and it fits so well on this album. :thumbsup:

prayfordaylight
10-19-2012, 08:15 AM
Shadow of Your Smile FTW!

scottside
10-19-2012, 09:23 AM
I vote for After Hours for the win, but as much as I love this version of it, there was a studio recording of it made for the Allnighter which I still think best this one. I heard it a very long time ago, one time and from my memory of it, there were no strings, just piano, bass and light percussion. And I'm fairly sure Glenn played the piano part.

Brooke
10-19-2012, 10:11 AM
Wow, I'd love to hear that SS! Has anyone else heard it? :cool:

I'm joining in with your color scheme, Ga! Good thought!

AFTER HOURS FOR THE WIN FOR ME!

From the very beginning, I liked this song the best and that Glenn wrote it himself, well, that just tops it all off! I really like a lot of the rest of the cd, but TSOYS and AH are my favorites and I'm so glad they both made it to the finale. And how proud must his Mom and Dad be that he did it for them?! What a thoughtful thing for him to do! Looks like he loves them a lot! Glenn, you are a kind, sweet, caring guy. :hug: :heart: :iloveyou:

sodascouts
10-19-2012, 01:14 PM
Scottside, are you sure that's not the Mark and Brian performance, without the DJs into or applause at the end? I have a version of that, and it's as you described. If there's another one out there, I'd love to hear it!

At any rate, as I've said previously in the thread, I absolutely adore "After Hours" and I have done so ever since I first heard it back in 2005. For me, this is the one that comes across as the most heartfelt. Perhaps the fact that he and Tempchin wrote it enabled him to put that extra little indefinable something into it that lifts it above the rest.

I have to copycat the color scheme idea, too!

AFTER HOURS FOR THE WIN!

scottside
10-19-2012, 05:52 PM
The version I heard of After Hours was not a live version. It was definitely from a studio recording. I think the time frame was around 1995 after an Eagles concert in Philadelphia. I had met someone there who had a cassette tape of the song. She had told my wife and I that this was rare (and to me, it was, as I had never knew it existed) and unreleased from 1984 and that it would probably never see the light of day. I don't remember if she told us how she got it, but I was floored by both the song and performance and could never figure why it was never released on anything. I'm glad Glenn finally decided to do something with it. I remember her being very protective about it, which was fine, but I recall thinking at the time, that perhaps it was something she shouldn't have had!

sodascouts
10-19-2012, 07:02 PM
Wow! How cool that you got to hear that - even if it might have been under sketchy circumstances. ;)

Henley Honey
10-19-2012, 08:20 PM
After Hours for the Win!!!

Glennhoney
10-19-2012, 09:37 PM
The version I heard of After Hours was not a live version. It was definitely from a studio recording. I think the time frame was around 1995 after an Eagles concert in Philadelphia. I had met someone there who had a cassette tape of the song. She had told my wife and I that this was rare (and to me, it was, as I had never knew it existed) and unreleased from 1984 and that it would probably never see the light of day. I don't remember if she told us how she got it, but I was floored by both the song and performance and could never figure why it was never released on anything. I'm glad Glenn finally decided to do something with it. I remember her being very protective about it, which was fine, but I recall thinking at the time, that perhaps it was something she shouldn't have had!

WOW...how cool is that!!!!!

10-20-2012, 02:02 PM
OMG ss - That is awesome that you were able to hear that. I've often wondered how many little treasures out there like this that the guy's have made that the general public will never get the chance to hear. Puts me in the mood for a treasure hunt! :lol:

GlennLover
10-20-2012, 05:02 PM
I vote AFTER HOURS for the win!

GlennLover
10-20-2012, 05:03 PM

SS, I would have loved to have heard that! Lucky you to have heard this rare recording!

sodascouts
10-20-2012, 08:45 PM
And by a landslide, the winner of the Glenn Frey's After Hours Survivor is the title track....

AFTER HOURS!

Votes
After Hours - 13
The Shadow of Your Smile - 4

Vote Breakdown
After Hours - Freypower
After Hours - timfan
After Hours - Glennhoney
After Hours - WalshFan88
After Hours - Koala
After Hours - whitcap
After Hours - Glennsallnighter
After Hours - TimothyBFan
After Hours - scottside
After Hours - Brooke
After Hours - sodascouts
After Hours - Henley Honey
After Hours - GlennLover
The Shadow of Your Smile - Ive always been a dreamer
The Shadow of Your Smile - zeldabjr
The Shadow of Your Smile - Tiffanny Twisted
The Shadow of Your Smile - prayfordaylight

Songs Eliminated:
Same Girl 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
It's Too Soon To Know - 10/06
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10
Route 66 - 10/14
The Look of Love - 10/18
The Shadow of Your Smile - 10/20

Congrats, AFTER HOURS!

Hope you enjoyed the game. Thanks for playing, everybody!

Glennsallnighter
10-21-2012, 04:51 AM
Well done to " AFTER HOURS
A worthy winner indeed.

And thanks to Soda and Dreamer foe all their input and meticulous vote counting.

SS. I'd love to hear tgat version of the title track too!

10-21-2012, 01:14 PM
You are very welcome, GA!

CONGRATS TO AFTER HOURS!!!

Although it wasn't my top choice, I'm not surprised that it won this game and it is a very worthy winner indeed. Soda alluded to this earlier, and I'll just say that it speaks volumes to me that many folks rate this among the best songs on this album. To me, most of the songs that Glenn has written in his career stand up very well against the songs on this album. So when I said earlier in this thread that more of the same from Glenn works just fine for me, I meant it as a high compliment in that his songwriting and songs are as good or better. Now that doesn't mean that I don't think After Hours is a good album - as a matter of fact, I think Glenn's renditions of most of these songs surpasses any other versions I've heard. But, as great as this album is, I personally prefer the material that he has written and recorded. JMHO

zeldabjr
10-21-2012, 02:36 PM
Thanks again to Soda and Dreamer for all the work you do during these games!!!:thumbsup::applause:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-21-2012, 06:26 PM
thanks everyone

Brooke
10-21-2012, 09:21 PM
CONGRATS TO AFTER HOURS! :partytime:

Great game everyone and thanks to Soda and Dreamer for all the hard work! And everyone for their comments! :thumbsup:

TimothyBFan
10-22-2012, 07:33 AM
Yay for After Hours!!! Very worthy of the honor!

Now next Survivor, Analog Man, perhaps? :thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-22-2012, 12:56 PM
Sure, if there's interest!

Prettymaid
10-22-2012, 01:36 PM
Sure, if there's interest!

I know you'll want to start a new thread, but :thumbsup:

Brooke
10-22-2012, 02:39 PM
Oh yeah! :thumbsup:

Freypower
10-22-2012, 04:29 PM
I would play Analog Man Survivor. It will be much easier than After Hours Survivor was.

GlennLover
10-22-2012, 06:31 PM
I'd participate as well. I agree with FP that it will be easier than this one! :)

Tiffanny Twisted
10-23-2012, 06:30 AM
analog man next...yes please

zeldabjr
10-23-2012, 03:09 PM
I would play Analog Man Survivor. It will be much easier than After Hours Survivor was.

I've only played Survivor twice, but have learned it's much easier when it's not your favorite Eagle...I had a much more difficult time shootin' down Timothy songs than I did Glenn songs....I guess it's a heart thing...

would love to do Analog Man survivor!....love hearing everyone's reasons and thoughts behind why they choose a certain song over another...very interesting