PDA

View Full Version : "After Hours" Survivor

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 08:00 PM
Time for After Hours Survivor, where we vote off Glenn’s songs from After Hours until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs from After Hours here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the song you want taken off, not the song you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will be over at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. Any votes cast on or after 8:00 Eastern the second day will not be counted. If you're going to wait 'til the last minute, be sure you leave yourself enough time to hit "submit"!

If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you make a mistake - so be sure you get it right the first time!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

============================

The game is over, and the winner is...

AFTER HOURS!!!

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl 09/26
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 09/28
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
It's Too Soon To Know - 10/06
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10
I Wanna Be Around - 10/12
Route 66 - 10/14
For Sentimental Reasons - 10/16
The Look of Love - 10/18
The Shadow of Your Smile - 10/20

If you don't have it, you can get it from Glenn's official store (http://glennfreyafterhours.com/store) and online retailers like Amazon (htthttp://www.amazon.com/After-Hours-Deluxe-Edition-Glenn/dp/B007KCG7GM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1332632385&sr=8-2p://) and iTunes - or you can try your local CD store!

GAME OVER!

Glennsallnighter
09-24-2012, 08:06 PM
Right! Its nearly bed time (I stayed up for this). This is gonna be a very hard survivor to do because of the consistently high standard of all the songs Glenn :heart: has presented in After Hours. I have spent the day listing, and then relisting the songs from 1 to 14. And also listening to the CD. My top 4 will not change but there are quite a few that I just cannot separate.

Anyway by a whisker the first song that I would vote off is 'Worried Mind'. Its not that I don't like it, but I just don't feel it sends off the same vibe as the other songs and doesn't fit as well into the 'After Hours' theme. Its a brilliant song, and I loved watching Glenn :heart: sing it in LA, but IMHO it just doesn't evoke the husky sultry 'After Hours' nostalgia and romance that the other songs do.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 08:27 PM
Of course, Glenn sounds magnificent on all of these songs. In these early rounds, I'm voting on the strength of the song, and not his vocal delivery.

With that disclaimer, my vote for this first round goes to I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

The tune is pleasant and I like the instrumentation, especially the horns. Glenn sounds great.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, I tend to analyze those lyrics and it affects whether or not I like the song. In this case, the protagonist of the song comes off really poorly! He sticks around for 10 years getting played and obviously intends to hang around as long as it takes, which is not all that great in itself, but then he's begging a girl to buy him a cheap engagement ring!

While I appreciate that Glenn should be commended for being unafraid to toy with the stereotypical male/female roles by singing such lyrics, the concept takes some getting used to. Truth be told, I wouldn't be in a hurry to marry a guy who was too cheap to buy me an engagement ring either! You've had 10 years, man, put aside a little a month and spring for it.

I'm not saying I dislike the song - for instance, I really like how he sings "You wouldn't say 'yes' and you wouldn't say 'no'" as well as the way he ties it up. As he does elsewhere, he really brings this one home at the end when he sings in that clear, emotive voice "And I'll... belong.... to... you!"

Still, it's my least fave of the bunch.

Freypower
09-24-2012, 08:28 PM
I completely agree with you that WM doesn't fit into the vibe of the album, though as you say it was great to see him sing it. It was going to be the song I voted off second, but at the moment I have to stick with what is still my least favourite track - My Buddy - although I like it more & more. I just don't like the way he repeats the words 'my buddy' at the end.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 08:31 PM
Yeah, I agree, FP. I almost voted for that one myself.

But Worried Mind - I love that one! It's so catchy! I'm glad he does it live, although I understand why it was a bonus track because it is a big out of alignment with the other songs.

Freypower
09-24-2012, 08:34 PM
Of course, Glenn sounds magnificent on all of these songs. In these early rounds, I'm voting on the strength of the song, and not his vocal delivery.

With that disclaimer, my vote for this first round goes to I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

The tune is pleasant and I like the instrumentation, especially the horns. Glenn sounds great.

However, as I mentioned in another thread, I tend to analyze those lyrics and it affects whether or not I like the song. In this case, the protagonist of the song comes off really poorly! He sticks around for 10 years getting played and obviously intends to hang around as long as it takes, which is not all that great in itself, but then he's begging a girl to buy him a cheap engagement ring!

While I appreciate that Glenn should be commended for being unafraid to toy with the stereotypical male/female roles by singing such lyrics, the concept takes some getting used to. Truth be told, I wouldn't be in a hurry to marry a guy who was too cheap to buy me an engagement ring either! You've had 10 years, man, put aside a little a month and spring for it.

I'm not saying I dislike the song - for instance, I really like how he sings "You wouldn't say 'yes' and you wouldn't say 'no'" as well as the way he ties it up. As he does elsewhere, he really brings this one home at the end when he sings in that clear, emotive voice "And I'll... belong.... to... you!"

Still, it's my least fave of the bunch.

What you say here is how I thought about it when I first heard it but it has grown on me to a spectacular extent. It will still be near the first I wish voted off, though.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-24-2012, 08:41 PM
same girl

whitcap
09-24-2012, 09:33 PM
I vote for Same Girl.

Freypower
09-24-2012, 09:45 PM
Oh no.....I adore Same Girl. It is in my top 3 or 4. It will remain my guilty pleasure, I suppose.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 10:21 PM
"Same Girl" is my third-to-least favorite because the concept is so messed up.

I know there is a lot of love for Randy Newman as a songwriter and Glenn believes him to be one of the finest songwriters of his generation. I, however, am less impressed. The only song I knew by him for a long time was "I Love LA", which was fun but not exactly epic. I heard "Have Pity on the Working Man" after buying the Forrest Gump soundtrack and I liked it a lot, but it didn't blow me away with its brilliance or anything. I bought Good Old Boys and Little Criminals back in 2005 just because Glenn was on them and I liked them alright, but again, I wasn't blown away - for every terrific piece like "Baltimore," there was a stinker like "Rednecks." Then I bought Faust to hear Don Henley's part, and I found it horrific. Goethe, Marlowe and Milton must have been turning over in their graves at that overwrought, offensive, self-indulgent mess. Faust was so bad that it completely ruined Newman for me. :(

I hate to criticize anyone Glenn thinks so highly of, but I'm being frank.

Still, "Same Girl" has a wonderfully aching vocal by Glenn that actually makes you feel for a pimp. That's an achievement.

Freypower
09-24-2012, 11:01 PM
"Same Girl" is my third-to-least favorite because the concept is so messed up. I know there is a lot of love for Randy Newman as a songwriter and Glenn believes him to be one of the finest songwriters of his generation. I, however, am less impressed. The only song I knew by him for a long time was "I Love LA", which was fun but not exactly epic. I heard "Have Pity on the Working Man" after buying the Forrest Gump soundtrack and I liked it a lot, but it didn't blow me away with its brilliance or anything. I bought Good Old Boys and Little Criminals back in 2005 just because Glenn was on them and I liked them alright, but again, I wasn't blown away - for every terrific piece like "Baltimore," there was a stinker like "Rednecks." Then I bought Faust to hear Don Henley's part, and I found it horrific. Goethe, Marlowe and Milton must have been turning over in their graves at that overwrought, offensive, self-indulgent mess. Faust was so bad that it completely ruined Newman for me. :(

Still, "Same Girl" has a wonderfully aching vocal by Glenn that actually makes you feel for a pimp. That's an achievement.

I don't like Faust either, but it is an aberration in Newman's career. However, I am sorry that you think Rednecks is a 'stinker' (it is not just sending up the South's attitudes to black people; it is sending up the patronising of black people in the North) and that you have not heard wonderful albums like Trouble In Paradise (which contains Same Girl), Land Of Dreams, Bad Love & Harps & Angels.

I guess people don't like the lyrics of Same Girl and I cannot help them.

zeldabjr
09-24-2012, 11:11 PM
Route 66

Ive always been a dreamer
09-24-2012, 11:39 PM
Wow - We are pretty much all over the place already, which frankly doesn't surprise me. There are about 6 or 7 songs on the album that I rate pretty much about the same caliber and I can't really say I like one any more than the other, so this will be difficult for me for that reason. One of my raps on the album is that I think there needs to be more variety - after listening a while the songs kinda all sound the same to me even with Glenn's superb vocal delivery. I will definitely have to wait to see how this round plays out before I vote. I will say that, like Soda, Worried Mind is one of my very favorite songs on the album mainly because it does stand out from many of the other songs.

sodascouts
09-24-2012, 11:42 PM
However, I am sorry that you think Rednecks is a 'stinker' (it is not just sending up the South's attitudes to black people; it is sending up the patronising of black people in the North)

I get that, but any song that tosses around the n-word that many times is not one that I can enjoy. I found myself cringing throughout. The melody is nothing to write home about, either. JMHO.

and that you have not heard wonderful albums like Trouble In Paradise (which contains Same Girl), Land Of Dreams, Bad Love & Harps & Angels.

I see what you mean. It may not be fair for me to judge his canon based on three albums. Still, after Faust, I swore I'd never buy another Newman album! Perhaps I should revisit that. Glenn sure praises him to the skies.

I guess people don't like the lyrics of Same Girl and I cannot help them.
Nah, there's nothing to be done about that.

WalshFan88
09-25-2012, 12:39 AM
Although I will admit I'm not a huge aficionado of this album or know it extremely well, I figure I'll play along. I do know what my favorite is and least favorite and I'll start from there. :hilarious:

Same Girl

Glennsallnighter
09-25-2012, 10:11 AM
Let me clarify, I do not I'm any way think WM is a BAD song. Very little separated it from the few at the lower end of the list. If anything it's the most 'Eagley' sounding of all the songs on AH. Just something had to go and to me it didn't seem to fit in as well.

GlennLover
09-25-2012, 10:21 AM
I'm having a very difficult time choosing a song here :brickwall: & everyone's comments aren't making it any easier :sad: :wink:! I just adore this album & play it continuously! The songs never start sounding the same to me, although I admit that I can see that they may become that way by some. I think Glenn's voice is absolutely beautiful on this album (not that I don't think that his voice is great on every song he sings, but "beautiful" is not the word that I think applies to all his vocals, eg. Outlaw Man, Chug All Night).

I'll just have to go listen some more - and hope that I don't forget to come back & vote, LOL!

Topkat
09-25-2012, 11:04 AM
I'm just watching this game, as I don't feel I'm too familiar with it to judge it. So far, some really interesting comments!!

Brooke
09-25-2012, 11:21 AM
I'm not ready to vote yet either. Hopefully, I will get time to listen some more. Even though it's not my favorite kind of music, Glenn does just such a wonderful job on it, I do enjoy listening to it.

I think I know what my top three are, but the rest are really hard to decide on. All of your comments are great and will help me to decide, so carry on! :headscratch:

Glennhoney
09-25-2012, 11:37 AM
My vote is "I'm getting old before my time".....This is not gonna be easy..:-(

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
Yes, I've been listening to it on repeat to make sure I have my votes all lined up and I haven't tired of it yet! While I do have some songs that I don't like as well as others (as I've already expressed), his voice is consistently strong. In fact, it's more than strong - it's absolutely entrancing. I love to listen to him sing and I can't get enough.

Freypower
09-25-2012, 05:48 PM
Let me clarify, I do not I'm any way think WM is a BAD song. Very little separated it from the few at the lower end of the list. If anything it's the most 'Eagley' sounding of all the songs on AH. Just something had to go and to me it didn't seem to fit in as well.

Agreed. Some people seem to prefer it BECAUSE it sounds more 'Eagley'. I'm not one of them, although I like it. I like that he is paying homage to Ray Charles on it.

There have not been many actual votes yet.

Freypower
09-25-2012, 05:50 PM
I'm having a very difficult time choosing a song here :brickwall: & everyone's comments aren't making it any easier :sad: :wink:! I just adore this album & play it continuously! The songs never start sounding the same to me, although I admit that I can see that they may become that way by some. I think Glenn's voice is absolutely beautiful on this album (not that I don't think that his voice is great on every song he sings, but "beautiful" is not the word that I think applies to all his vocals, eg. Outlaw Man, Chug All Night).

I'll just have to go listen some more - and hope that I don't forget to come back & vote, LOL!

I agree with you. I don't think the songs sound the same. Each song has a different feel & mood, subtle though it may be.

Freypower
09-25-2012, 10:15 PM
I hope some people start to vote soon because this level of participation is not looking good for this game.

sodascouts
09-25-2012, 10:31 PM
In many of our Survivors, people wait until the last minute to vote. Don't fret yet, FP!

Glennsallnighter
09-26-2012, 06:11 AM
Agreed. Quite a few people have stated they will hold off for the moment, and we know Dreamervalways comes in towards the end of each voting period too. There were plenty of votes in favour of the Survivor in the original poll too! So even if just they vote we still have a game. And not everyone is in a position to visit here every day either. It'll happen!

TimothyBFan
09-26-2012, 07:56 AM
I promised I'd play.

I'm kind of all over the place with this one. I pulled it out and listened a few times since I knew we'd be playing this and every time I've listened, I pick a different song to win and rearrange all the others. But I seem to consistently put 2 songs towards the bottom, Same Girl and My Buddy.

So I will vote for My Buddy this first round.

And I know I've said this before, but I will reiterate--- I really miss the immunity questions. They just seem to add a great dimension to the game.

GlennLover
09-26-2012, 09:55 AM
I hope some people start to vote soon because this level of participation is not looking good for this game.

I'm just finding it sooo difficult to decide! :brickwall:

timfan
09-26-2012, 10:02 AM
My vote goees to Same Girl

Brooke
09-26-2012, 10:06 AM
Oh, I'm going to vote too, but I'm just undecided right now. This is really hard. It's going to be between My Buddy and I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

My Buddy just doesn't work very well. At first I think he's singing about a pet dog, but that gets clarified! And calling a woman "my buddy" just doesn't work for me! lol

As for IGOBMT, I hate to hear him sing about getting old! I don't want him to get old! :sad:

Ok, I talked myself in to it.

I vote for My Buddy! :lol:

Henley Honey
09-26-2012, 01:00 PM
I think this will be the most difficult Survivor to date. This round, my vote goes to: Same Girl.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 02:21 PM
calling a woman "my buddy" just doesn't work for me! lol

Yeah, it's not very romantic! The term "buddy" seems more appropriate for other guys and kids. I actually think the original may have been written with two close guy friends in mind - here are some lyrics not found in Glenn's version that are in the original:

Buddies through all the gay days,
Buddies when something went wrong;
I wait alone through the gray days,
Missing your smile and your song.

Yeah, lines like "touch of your hand" and "nights are long" sound like he is talking about a lover but a lot of these older songs say things that nowadays would come off as a bit... well... awkward for straight men to say to each other.

Now, obviously, Glenn interprets it as a love song to a woman, but it would explain a lot if the songwriter meant it to be to a guy friend.

09-26-2012, 03:49 PM
I'm not going to be around when the voting closes tonight, so, unfortunately, I have to vote sooner than I would like. I was probably going to vote for I'm Getting Old Before My Time, but since it doesn't look like that is going down this round, I will vote to try to save Same Girl since I like it a bit better than some of the others. Therefore ...

I cast my vote for My Buddy.

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:08 PM
I read that My Buddy was originally written as a farewell to people who had gone off to the war. I do share other people's reservations about it, and that's why I voted for it first. Oh, but he's so SMOOTH (if I say that about every song I will never vote).

I don't want to rave about Same Girl again, but it just aches. It was an absolute privilege to see it sung live. It's one of my favourite performances - not just from this album but from his entire career. That is just how I feel about it.

Freypower
09-26-2012, 06:09 PM
I promised I'd play.

I'm kind of all over the place with this one. I pulled it out and listened a few times since I knew we'd be playing this and every time I've listened, I pick a different song to win and rearrange all the others. But I seem to consistently put 2 songs towards the bottom, Same Girl and My Buddy.

So I will vote for My Buddy this first round.

And I know I've said this before, but I will reiterate--- I really miss the immunity questions. They just seem to add a great dimension to the game.

I'm glad you decided to play. :partytime:

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Same Girl is the first song eliminated from After Hours Survivor. Same Girl, you didn't even have a few more days with us, much less a few more years. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Same Girl - 5
My Buddy - 4
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 2
Worried Mind - 1
Route 66 - 1

Vote Breakdown
Same Girl - Tiffanny Twisted
Same Girl - whitcap
Same Girl - WalshFan88
Same Girl - timfan
Same Girl - Henley Honey
My Buddy - Freypower
My Buddy - TimothyBFan
My Buddy - Brooke
My Buddy - Ive always been a dreamer
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - sodascouts
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Glennhoney
Worried Mind - Glennsallnighter
Route 66 - zeldabjr

Songs in play:
For Sentimental Reasons (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/forsentimentalreasons.htm)
My Buddy (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/mybuddy.htm)
Route 66 (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/route66.htm)
The Shadow of Your Smile (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/shadowofyoursmile.htm)
Here's to Life (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/herestolife.htm)
It's Too Soon to Know (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/itstoosoontoknow.htm)
Caroline, No (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/carolineno.htm)
The Look of Love (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/lookoflove.htm)
I'm Getting Old Before My Time (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/imgettingold.htm)
After Hours (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/afterhours.htm)
The Good Life (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/goodlife.htm)
Worried Mind (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/worriedmind.htm)
I Wanna Be Around (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/iwannabearound.htm)

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26

Voting for Round 2 starts now!

Freypower
09-26-2012, 08:22 PM
What a shame. As I say, it's my guilty pleasure & I hope the people who voted for it give it another chance for it to grow on them.

I again vote for My Buddy.

whitcap
09-26-2012, 08:58 PM
I vote for Here's to Life.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm sticking with I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

sodascouts
09-26-2012, 09:07 PM
I read that My Buddy was originally written as a farewell to people who had gone off to the war.

Interesting! Thanks for the factoid.

I don't want to rave about Same Girl again, but it just aches. It was an absolute privilege to see it sung live. It's one of my favourite performances - not just from this album but from his entire career. That is just how I feel about it.

Glenn sure makes it work live. The song's messed-up concept is what got it voted off the island first.

zeldabjr
09-27-2012, 02:34 AM
My Buddy

TimothyBFan
09-27-2012, 07:35 AM
I'm glad you decided to play. :partytime:

I try to stay true to my word.

I vote for My Buddy again.

Glennhoney
09-27-2012, 07:39 AM
My Buddy...gets my vote..

timfan
09-27-2012, 07:56 AM
I really enjoy My Buddy so I'm voting for I'm Getting Old Before my Time

Brooke
09-27-2012, 09:24 AM

Glennsallnighter
09-27-2012, 11:49 AM
I must say I really love 'My Buddy' too. Not one of my top faves, but definitely one that I like. I too had heard that it was a War Song I think from WW1. I love the jauntyy syncopated start of it, and the genuine sense of noiostalgia and regret for times past. I'm not ready for it to go yet, and in an effort to save it, I think I will vote for 'I'm getting old before my time'. It was my second least favourite anyway and I always feel that there is a very depressive tone in it. The idea of waiting around until yopu have a 'crutch and a cane' before somebody will commit to you doesn't appeal to me either.

scottside
09-27-2012, 01:22 PM
I missed the first round so I'll choose what I would've chosen then: I'm Getting Old Before My Time. My dad used to play My Buddy on some old records he had so I feel a certain affection for that song.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2012, 07:33 PM
I"m getting old before my time

tt

but I still like the whle cd since Is aw him do it live.
Just wish he did the new version of smuggles blues and the heat is on on the cd

GlennLover
09-27-2012, 07:50 PM
Last night I was out longer than I thought I would be & missed voting the last round. :brickwall:Oh well, it didn't really matter as I had decided to vote for Same Girl. However, now I am in a dilema as to what song to vote off this round! I'll make sure I don't miss the next vote.

Freypower
09-27-2012, 07:57 PM
I"m getting old before my time

tt

but I still like the whle cd since Is aw him do it live.
Just wish he did the new version of smuggles blues and the heat is on on the cd

The After Hours CD is not meant to be a remake of Glenn's older songs apart from the title track which had never been officially recorded. How would SB have fit in with the other songs? He has been doing that rearrangement for several years, and it is not 'jazz', it is more like R&B/blues. As for The Heat Is On he reworked that for the tour. It is just a bit of fun, unlike the majority of the After Hours album. I hope that he will continue to play the revamped Heat Is On but I don't expect him to ever record it.

GlennLover
09-27-2012, 08:07 PM
The After Hours CD is not meant to be a remake of Glenn's older songs apart from the title track which had never been officially recorded. How would SB have fit in with the other songs? He has been doing that rearrangement for several years, and it is not 'jazz', it is more like R&B/blues. As for The Heat Is On he reworked that for the tour. It is just a bit of fun, unlike the majority of the After Hours album. I hope that he will continue to play the revamped Heat Is On but I don't expect him to ever record it.

I think you're right about that FP.

09-28-2012, 11:16 AM
First of all, I want to clarify what I said earlier about 6 or 7 songs on this album all kind of sounding the same. I realize the album may not have the same effect on everyone, but I have always preferred albums that have a lot of variety - I like different tempos, different themes, and, yes, even different voices. It helps keep my interest. I have always said that one of the main reasons that I became such a huge Eagles fan is because you can listen to any of their albums and it doesn't sound like the same song over and over. In the case of After Hours, I just prefer the songs in isolation rather than listening to them all together because the differences in them are too subtle, not blatant as I prefer. I feel somewhat the same way when I listen to Don's Inside Job album. Sorry, but that just the way I roll. :wink:

Anyway, I'll go ahead and vote now since I probably won't change my mind at this point. I'll vote for my least favorite song on the album ...

I cast my vote for I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

Henley Honey
09-28-2012, 05:18 PM
My vote goes to: My Buddy

Troubadour
09-28-2012, 05:36 PM
I haven't had much time lately, but if it's okay, I'm going to jump in and vote for I'm Getting Old Before My Time.

I love My Buddy! I remember listening to it in Jess's car in Oklahoma and saying "no one writes lyrics like that anymore." It's such a sweet song.

timfan
09-28-2012, 06:25 PM
Another close round! ;)

Freypower
09-28-2012, 06:44 PM
Regarding My Buddy I had thought 'this will make people cringe somewhat' so I'm pleasantly surprised to see the affection for it that some people are showing. It will make me rethink it again, which I have already done several times. I constantly rethink every song on the album.

sodascouts
09-28-2012, 07:59 PM
As for The Heat Is On he reworked that for the tour. It is just a bit of fun, unlike the majority of the After Hours album. I hope that he will continue to play the revamped Heat Is On but I don't expect him to ever record it.

Actually he said either in an interview or at a show that it was so well-received by the audience he's considering recording it.

Freypower
09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
Actually he said either in an interview or at a show that it was so well-received by the audience he's considering recording it.

I do remember that now. It would be interesting if he did!

sodascouts
09-28-2012, 08:00 PM
I'm Getting Old Before My Time is the second song eliminated from After Hours Survivor. "I'm Getting Old Before My Time", the tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Get your crutch and cane and hobble off the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 7
My Buddy - 6
Here's To Life - 1

Vote Breakdown
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - sodascouts
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - timfan
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Glennsallnighter
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - scottside
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Tiffanny Twisted
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Ive always been a dreamer
I'm Getting Old Before My Time - Troubadour
My Buddy - Freypower
My Buddy - zeldabjr
My Buddy - TimothyBFan
My Buddy - Glennhoney
My Buddy - Brooke
My Buddy - Henley Honey
Here's to Life - whitcap

Songs in play:
For Sentimental Reasons (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/forsentimentalreasons.htm)
My Buddy (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/mybuddy.htm)
The Shadow of Your Smile (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/shadowofyoursmile.htm)
It's Too Soon to Know (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/itstoosoontoknow.htm)
The Look of Love (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/lookoflove.htm)
I Wanna Be Around (http://www.glennfreyonline.com/solo/afterhours/iwannabearound.htm)

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26

Voting for Round 3 starts now!

Freypower
09-28-2012, 08:06 PM
Oh! Well, I can vote for My Buddy again & that means I still don't have to vote for anything else!

sodascouts
09-28-2012, 08:18 PM
I'm with you this time!

I cast my vote for My Buddy.

Henley Honey
09-28-2012, 08:56 PM
Me too! My Buddy gets my vote.

whitcap
09-28-2012, 09:08 PM
I vote for Here's To Life.

zeldabjr
09-28-2012, 09:30 PM
My Buddy

TimothyBFan
09-28-2012, 10:10 PM
My Buddy once again.

GlennLover
09-28-2012, 10:22 PM
I missed another round! I guess my calendar is off :brickwall:. I'm voting early this round so I make sure that I get my vote in. They're all sooo close although I have 2 favorites, but I have to make a decision so-

I vote Caroline No. (Sorry, FP)

Freypower
09-28-2012, 11:32 PM
I missed another round! I guess my calendar is off :brickwall:. I'm voting early this round so I make sure that I get my vote in. They're all sooo close although I have 2 favorites, but I have to make a decision so-

I vote Caroline No. (Sorry, FP)

No need to be sorry about that. Much as I love Glenn's version of this song it isn't all that high up my own list.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-28-2012, 11:54 PM
It;s too soon to know

tt

timfan
09-29-2012, 09:15 AM
Trying to save My Buddy I vote for It's Too Soon To Know

scottside
09-29-2012, 10:13 AM
I vote for I Wanna Be Around, but it was a toss-up with Caroline, No.

Brooke
09-29-2012, 07:55 PM

Glennsallnighter
09-30-2012, 06:01 PM
Well it looks like though 'My Buddy' survived the last round by a hairs breath nothing is going to save it this time! So I think I'll stick with my original Round 1 selection and vote off 'Worried Mind'. It won't matter this round but may later on.

09-30-2012, 07:56 PM
Well - it looks like My Buddy will go down without any help from me. I did want to say something about A Worried Mind. As most of you know, I'm not a big fan of country music, but I really like this song a lot. I love Glenn's vocals of course, but it is actually the music in this song that sells it for me. Michael Thompson has many very fine moments on the CD, but his piano solo in the bridge of this song is one of the highlights of the entire CD for me - it is simply outstanding.

And now for the voting - I guess I'll vote for the future as well ...

I cast my vote for Caroline, No.

sodascouts
09-30-2012, 08:18 PM
My Buddy is the third song eliminated from After Hours Survivor. "My Buddy", we must part, you and I. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
My Buddy - 6
Caroline, No - 2
It's Too Soon to Know - 2
Here's To Life - 1
I Wanna Be Around - 1
Worried Mind - 1

Vote Breakdown
My Buddy - Freypower
My Buddy - sodascouts
My Buddy - Henley Honey
My Buddy - zeldabjr
My Buddy - TimothyBFan
My Buddy - Brooke
Caroline, No - GlennLover
Caroline, No - Ive always been a dreamer
It's Too Soon to Know - Tiffanny Twisted
It's Too Soon to Know - timfan
Here's to Life - whitcap
I Wanna Be Around - scottside

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30

Voting for Round 4 starts now!

zeldabjr
09-30-2012, 08:52 PM
Route 66

whitcap
09-30-2012, 09:11 PM
I vote for Here's to Life.

sodascouts
09-30-2012, 10:00 PM
I cast my vote for The Good Life.

Glenn sings it superbly - especially the "wonder why" bit. However, the ending lyrics only seem to make sense if the term "the good life" is read ironically, yet Glenn's vocals display no trace of irony. Thus, in my confusion, this song falls down my list despite the great delivery.

Freypower
10-01-2012, 01:27 AM
I cast my vote for The Good Life.

Glenn sings it superbly - especially the "wonder why" bit. However, the ending lyrics only seem to make sense if the term "the good life" is read ironically, yet Glenn's vocals display no trace of irony. Thus, in my confusion, this song falls down my list despite the great delivery.

I completely agree with these comments. However it is such a great performance that I can't let it go yet, and hence I vote for Worried Mind. I like this a lot, and saw it live (and may do again!) but I like other songs better.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-01-2012, 06:34 AM
caroline,no

TimothyBFan
10-01-2012, 07:48 AM
I vote for Worried Mind.

timfan
10-01-2012, 08:02 AM
As I love "Worried Mind" I will vote for The Good Life.

prayfordaylight
10-01-2012, 08:58 AM
I also vote for The Good Life.

Glennhoney
10-01-2012, 08:59 AM
I also love "Worried Mind" so my vote is CAROLINE NO..

scottside
10-01-2012, 09:25 AM
I cast my vote for Caroline No.

GlennLover
10-01-2012, 11:56 AM
I have to go with [B]Caroline, No[B] as well.

10-01-2012, 01:25 PM
Wow - we are getting close to 'coalition' time in the game. :grouphug: I was leaning toward voting for The Good Life this time, but, I'm going to vote for whatever I need to in order to save Worried Mind. Right now, Caroline, No has four votes, The Good Life has three, and Worried Mind has two. I guess we should brace ourselves for many of the coming rounds going down to the wire again. :dizzy: :grin:

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 01:54 PM
I want to speak up for "Caroline, No." Yes, it's not the strongest song on the album, but the way Glenn sings 'You break my heart, I want to go and cry" kills me EVERY. TIME.

The whole song is done with such an anguished and heart-wrenching vocal that it conveys a lot more emotional power than "The Good Life" (IMHO).

As for "Worried Mind," I find it to be a nice change of pace and catchy.

Henley Honey
10-01-2012, 03:01 PM
OMG I'm so confused and conflicted. I keep playing these songs over and over again trying to make a definitive decision, but I'm finding it so difficult to do -- more so than in any other Survivor.

Brooke
10-01-2012, 03:35 PM
Same here! I'm lost! :crazy:

Freypower
10-01-2012, 05:35 PM
I want to speak up for "Caroline, No." Yes, it's not the strongest song on the album, but the way Glenn sings 'You break my heart, I want to go and cry" kills me EVERY. TIME.

The whole song is done with such an anguished and heart-wrenching vocal that it conveys a lot more emotional power than "The Good Life" (IMHO).

As for "Worried Mind," I find it to be a nice change of pace and catchy.

I agree about Caroline, No being better than The Good Life. I am surprised about the number of votes for it.

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2012, 05:52 PM
I will stick this round with Worried Mind as well for the reasons that I gave in round 1. And I would definitely prefer 'Caroline, No' over it, although I do feel of the songs Glenn :heart: showcased in Niagara Falls it would have been my least favourite.

sodascouts
10-01-2012, 06:00 PM
I agree about Caroline, No being better than The Good Life. I am surprised about the number of votes for it.

Where did this song's fans go?
Where are the ones who love it so?
How did it get so many votes?
Oh, Caroline, No!!!

Glennsallnighter
10-01-2012, 06:01 PM
Love it Soda!!

zeldabjr
10-01-2012, 06:11 PM
Oh, Caroline, No!!!

I am surprised people are voting for this song too...I really like it...I like another version better:wink: but I think Glenn does it beautifully too...I just think it's a great song.period.

Freypower
10-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Oh, Caroline, No!!!

I already had a major disappointment with what happened to Same Girl so this shouldn't surprise me. It's interesting that a couple of the more contemporary songs are attracting votes.

TimothyBFan
10-02-2012, 07:54 AM
WOW---Caroline No getting so many votes. I'm shocked!!! It is a great version of it and I really thought it would be a couple more rounds before we saw it getting votes.:unimpressed:

Cute, Soda!! :laugh:

Henley Honey
10-02-2012, 04:59 PM
I've got to go with: Worried Mind

Tiffanny Twisted
10-02-2012, 07:53 PM
my vote is Caroline, No.

I dont get the attraction to this song.sorry:nervous:

10-02-2012, 07:59 PM
tt - only one vote per round please. :wink:

Well - I sure don't like this round. I hate to do this, but I had said I wanted to save Worried Mind. I just like it more than The Good Life or Caroline, No. So, with great regret ...

I cast my vote for Caroline, No.

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 08:49 PM
Caroline No is the fourth song eliminated from After Hours Survivor. "Caroline, No" - it breaks my heart, but the tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Caroline, No - 5
Worried Mind -4
The Good Life - 3
Route 66 -1
Here's To Life - 1

Vote Breakdown
Caroline, No - Tiffanny Twisted
Caroline, No - Glennhoney
Caroline, No - scottside
Caroline, No - GlennLover
Caroline, No - Ive always been a dreamer
Worried Mind - Freypower
Worried Mind - TimothyBFan
Worried Mind - Henley Honey
The Good Life - sodascouts
The Good Life - timfan
The Good Life - prayfordaylight
Route 66 - zeldabjr
Here's to Life - whitcap

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02

Voting for Round 5 starts now!

sodascouts
10-02-2012, 08:52 PM
Let's try this again!

I cast my vote for THE GOOD LIFE.

If you like Worried Mind, join me in voting for THE GOOD LIFE to save it!

Freypower
10-02-2012, 08:54 PM
I much prefer The Good Life to Worried Mind, even despite my reservations about its lyrics & even despite the fact that I saw Worried Mind performed. Worried Mind is the most 'familliar' sounding track & as such is not one of my real favourites, although I like it, so I again vote for Worried Mind.

GlennLover
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
Oh, this is just too difficult! :ack: I don't know how I am going to choose any more songs, except my 2 favorites, which aren't that far ahead of the rest of the pack! :brickwall:

timfan
10-02-2012, 08:58 PM
no question.. I vote for The Good Life to (hopefully) save Worried Mind :)

zeldabjr
10-02-2012, 09:23 PM
I like Worried Mind and The Good Life...hmmm...:confused:..Do I vote for the song that I really like the least on the list or do I vote one I like off just to save another one I like?

TimothyBFan
10-03-2012, 07:36 AM
Wow, Caroline No... Didn't see that coming so soon.

I vote for Worried Mind again.

prayfordaylight
10-03-2012, 08:20 AM
The Good Life again.

scottside
10-03-2012, 09:34 AM
I vote for The Good Life.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-03-2012, 09:39 AM
I vote for worried mind. tt:fear:

Brooke
10-03-2012, 09:45 AM
Good grief, I guess I forgot to come back and vote! Oh well, I was just too confused to decide anyway!

I will go ahead now though and join the coalition and vote for The Good Life. Soda, you talked me in to it! :lol:

10-03-2012, 01:00 PM
Regarding Caroline, No, even though I voted to eliminate it last round, I am honestly surprised to see it go so early. I have never really been overly fond of the song, but I thought I was in the minority. I like it well enough, but for some reason, it doesn't grab me emotionally like it does many others. Having said that, I thought it would outlast The Good Life, but you just never know in these games. :shrug:

Brooke
10-03-2012, 02:57 PM
I'm rather shocked about Caroline, No too. :sad:

WalshFan88
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
I vote "The Good Life"...

I'm happy my fav is still in the running!

Freypower
10-03-2012, 05:59 PM
Regarding Caroline, No, even though I voted to eliminate it last round, I am honestly surprised to see it go so early. I have never really been overly fond of the song, but I thought I was in the minority. I like it well enough, but for some reason, it doesn't grab me emotionally like it does many others. Having said that, I thought it would outlast The Good Life, but you just never know in these games. :shrug:

I agree. As for whether it grabs me emotionally, it does most of the time.

Glennsallnighter
10-04-2012, 04:36 AM
I'm quite busy over the next day or two so I'm gonna jump in and vote off 'Worried Mind' this round. No reason really to change what I've been voting off all along.

Koala
10-04-2012, 09:35 AM
I cast my vote for The Good Life!

zeldabjr
10-04-2012, 12:28 PM
The Good Life

Henley Honey
10-04-2012, 12:42 PM
Worried Mind

GlennLover
10-04-2012, 04:03 PM
I vote Worried Mind.

10-04-2012, 07:58 PM
Well it looks like The Good Life is going down without my vote. So, I'm going to vote toward the future ...

I cast my vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

10-04-2012, 08:09 PM
The next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is The Good Life. “The Good Life”, you don’t have to hide all the sadness you feel. You may still wonder why, but the tribe has spoken. You must please leave the island immediately.

Vote
The Good Life – 8
Worried Mind – 6
It’s Too Soon To Know – 1

Vote Breakdown
The Good Life – sodascouts
The Good Life – timfan
The Good Life – prayfordaylight
The Good Life – scottside
The Good Life – Brooke
The Good Life – WalshFan88
The Good Life – Koala
The Good Life – zeldabjr
Worried Mind – Freypower
Worried Mind – TimothyBFan
Worried Mind – Tiffanny Twisted
Worried Mind – Glennsallnighter
Worried Mind – Henley Honey
Worried Mind – GlennLover
It’s Too Soon To Know – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04

Voting for Round 6 starts now!

Freypower
10-04-2012, 08:43 PM
Worried Mind, again.

WalshFan88
10-04-2012, 08:57 PM
Worried Mind

10-04-2012, 09:38 PM
Well - it may be time to form a coalition to try to save Worried Mind. Of all the remaining songs, to me the weakest is It's Too Soon to Know. So, if we can form an alliance against this song, I'll join in. As I said earlier, in addition to Glenn's wonderful vocals, Michael Thompson should get props for his incredible piano work in Worried Mind. So if you love Worried Mind ...

Vote for It's Too Soon to Know!

Save Worried Mind!

sodascouts
10-04-2012, 10:10 PM
I'll join, Dreamer!

timfan
10-04-2012, 10:23 PM
This is getting sooo hard!!! but since I'll be away for the next few days I better vote now.. I really like both Worried Mind and It's Too Soon to Know but I think I might like the warm country feel to Worried Mind just a wee bit more soooo... I vote for It's to Soon to Know.

Freypower
10-04-2012, 10:34 PM
I think it's interesting that Worried Mind, the song which sounds the most like people 'expected' Glenn to sound, is so popular. I like it, but not nearly as much as many people seem to, apparently. The whole point of the album is that he sounds so different on most of the tracks.

It's Too Soon To Know is a great performance, which aches with uncertainty, especially the 'I won't die - I'll live on' part, whereas Worried Mind is just 'well, she left me & I'm upset'. It is good, but it isn't that good.

Koala
10-05-2012, 03:07 AM

Tiffanny Twisted
10-05-2012, 06:26 AM
i vote for worried mind

prayfordaylight
10-05-2012, 08:03 AM
I was going to vote for It's Too Soon To Know before I even logged in today and I'm sticking to it.

TimothyBFan
10-05-2012, 08:30 AM
Worried Mind, once again.

sodascouts
10-05-2012, 09:31 AM
I think it's interesting that Worried Mind, the song which sounds the most like people 'expected' Glenn to sound, is so popular. I like it, but not nearly as much as many people seem to, apparently. The whole point of the album is that he sounds so different on most of the tracks.

Well, only speaking for myself, one of the reasons I like Worried Mind is actually the opposite - it's the only song that sounds different from all the others on the album in terms of style. That makes it a nice change of pace.

It's Too Soon To Know is a great performance, which aches with uncertainty, especially the 'I won't die - I'll live on' part, whereas Worried Mind is just 'well, she left me & I'm upset'. It is good, but it isn't that good.That's my fave part of It's Too Soon to Know as well. It's interesting you find that line especially uncertain; to me, it's the least uncertain. He knows he'll be OK no matter what. It's a great sentiment and his vocal on that part is fantastic.

However, Worried Mind has a good melody and well-done instrumentation like the piano solo. It sticks in my mind more and has a bit more interesting construction. "It's Too Soon to Know" gets repetitive, like a lot of these older songs do - they kind of spend their ideas in two verses and a chorus - maybe a bridge if you're lucky - then go back and repeat it all.

I enjoy Worried Mind not because it was what I "expected." As I had never heard the song before and Glenn is not exactly known for country solo material, I was quite surprised by it being on the album even as a bonus track. I enjoy Worried Mind because it is a good song.

scottside
10-05-2012, 09:37 AM
I vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

Brooke
10-05-2012, 04:36 PM
Ok, I've listened to both of these songs multiple times and I really like both of them. The only thing I can say is I think Worried Mind is too country sounding to even belong on this album. The steel guitar and the piano bit....I really can't imagine why he put it on it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the songs at all. Jmo. Does anyone else think this?

Therefore, I vote for Worried Mind. I really like it and I'm glad it's on there, but it sure seems out of place to me now that I've really thought about it! :shrug:

ETA: Glenn can do country, I wonder if he ever will? He would do well! Maybe he doesn't care to go that direction.

Freypower
10-05-2012, 06:09 PM
Ok, I've listened to both of these songs multiple times and I really like both of them. The only thing I can say is I think Worried Mind is too country sounding to even belong on this album. The steel guitar and the piano bit....I really can't imagine why he put it on it. It just doesn't fit with the rest of the songs at all. Jmo. Does anyone else think this?

Therefore, I vote for Worried Mind. I really like it and I'm glad it's on there, but it sure seems out of place to me now that I've really thought about it! :shrug:

ETA: Glenn can do country, I wonder if he ever will? He would do well! Maybe he doesn't care to go that direction.

That's exactly what I was trying to say, but we have Soda saying that she likes it just FOR that reason; that it doesn't fit with the other songs.

And for the record I don't find It's Too Soon To Know repetitive because I like the way he keeps dwelling on the situation. The only part I'm not sure about is the end which is a bit abrupt.

When I said the 'I won't die; I'll live on' part was uncertain I don't really know what I meant. He's weighing up his options. I honestly think this song is the 'sleeper' of the album; but I seem to be in the minority with many of my opinions on these songs.

Glennsallnighter
10-05-2012, 06:23 PM
Its down to preference really in terms of the songs' placements on the CD! I have nothing against 'Worried Mind' in any way, and I like the song very much, but have simply felt it 'out of place' in relation to the other songs on the CD. But that is the very essence of its appeal to Soda and others!

I just think its too 'country' for the CD, and don't get me wrong - I LIKE country a lot! But this is a more classy, piano-bar type CD. I cannot see Glenn :heart: playing WM in a club like that no more than I could see him perform something like 'Sentimental Reasons' at a country festival - KWIM? - Although if I ever get to see him again I would happily watch him sing whatever he likes!

Anyway, I guess that I'm just making a justification for voting off once again 'Worried Mind' this round.

Henley Honey
10-05-2012, 06:57 PM
Worried Mind

10-06-2012, 01:57 PM

Well - maybe people like the song because they like the way 'expected' Glenn sounds. Speaking for myself, the music I fell in love with when I became an Eagles fan 40 years ago works just fine for me. I think it may be more about the style of music as opposed to the way Glenn sounds. As numerous folks have said, this style of music just isn't their 'thing'. I don't have any real need for him to totally change his style. I will take more of the same anytime. :thumbsup:

It's Too Soon To Know is a great performance, which aches with uncertainty, especially the 'I won't die - I'll live on' part, whereas Worried Mind is just 'well, she left me & I'm upset'. It is good, but it isn't that good.

FP, I obviously, disagree with your assessment here about Worried Mind. Like Soda, for me, it is one of the standouts on the album partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I said before, some of just simply prefer more variety when listening to an album. And as has already been said, the instrumentation is superb. I already raved about the piano solo, but the fiddle and steel guitar also sound fantastic to these ears.

In any event, it seems the voters here are definitely split in how they feel about the song, and this round is going to be another close one. There are still several folks who haven't voted yet. I'll go ahead and cast my vote now since my mind is definitely made up here ...

zeldabjr
10-06-2012, 02:04 PM
It's Too Soon To Know

whitcap
10-06-2012, 04:47 PM
I vote for It's Too Soon to Know.

Freypower
10-06-2012, 07:17 PM
Well - maybe people like the song because they like the way 'expected' Glenn sounds. Speaking for myself, the music I fell in love with when I became an Eagles fan 40 years ago works just fine for me. I think it may be more about the style of music as opposed to the way Glenn sounds. As numerous folks have said, this style of music just isn't their 'thing'. I don't have any real need for him to totally change his style. I will take more of the same anytime. :thumbsup:

FP, I obviously, disagree with your assessment here about Worried Mind. Like Soda, for me, it is one of the standouts on the album partly because it differs from the other songs stylistically. As I said before, some of just simply prefer more variety when listening to an album. And as has already been said, the instrumentation is superb. I already raved about the piano solo, but the fiddle and steel guitar also sound fantastic to these ears.

Speaking only for myself, the fact that he changed so much for this album is what makes it for me. I didn't want 'more of the same'. 'More of the same' I have already had. I wanted something different and that is what I got. Others do not feel that way & they don't like it as much as I do, but if I like it because it's 'different' I feell I have the right to say so.

There is plenty of variety on this album, in my opinion. I said nothing about the music of Worried Mind. It is very pleasant to listen to. I was specifically talking about the lyrics, which are fairly pedestrian.

Brooke
10-06-2012, 07:31 PM
Well, as I said before, I really like WM, but why did he include a country song on an album of standards? It is a 'classy' country song, but still! :headscratch:

I guess we'll probably never know.

Freypower
10-06-2012, 07:35 PM
It's because he is paying homage to Ray Charles rather than it being 'country'.

http://www.glennfreyafterhours.com/news/85071

“This is probably one of the only Ray Charles songs I would ever attempt to sing myself. There’s no beating Ray. It was on a country album that he did, and I always loved it. I thought, It’d be nice on an album full of very sophisticated chord changes to do something a little simpler.
“It’s got the country tinge, but it’s still a piano/vocal song, with beautiful steel guitar work and a great piano solo by Michael Thompson.”

I saw it live! Yes, but I'm afraid it still is not one of my favourite tracks, and I can't help that.

10-06-2012, 08:11 PM
In another nailbiter, the next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is It's Too Soon to Know. “It's Too Soon to Know”, it is all a game, but we’re not fooling. I know it’s too soon to go, but the tribe has spoken. You must please leave the island immediately.

Vote
It’s Too Soon To Know – 8
Worried Mind – 7

Vote Breakdown
It’s Too Soon To Know – sodascouts
It’s Too Soon To Know – timfan
It’s Too Soon To Know – Koala
It’s Too Soon To Know – prayfordaylight
It’s Too Soon To Know – scottside
It’s Too Soon To Know – Ive always been a dreamer
It’s Too Soon To Know – zeldabjr
It’s Too Soon To Know – whitcap
Worried Mind – Freypower
Worried Mind – WalshFan88
Worried Mind – Brooke

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
It's Too Soon to Know - 10/06

Voting for Round 7 starts now!

Freypower
10-06-2012, 08:13 PM
Oh well. I will continue to vote for Worried Mind & at least that means I don't have to vote for any other song.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-06-2012, 08:28 PM
I'm with you FP------Worried MInd tt

10-06-2012, 08:57 PM
Sorry FP, but I'm going to try again for a coalition to try to save Worried Mind. Of all the remaining songs now, I'm guessing the one that has the best chance of elimination is Here's To Life. So, let's see if the coalition works this time. So again, if you love Worried Mind ...

Vote for Here's To Life!

Save Worried Mind!

Well, as I said before, I really like WM, but why did he include a country song on an album of standards? It is a 'classy' country song, but still! :headscratch:

I guess we'll probably never know.

Brooke - I guess Glenn must think Worried Mind is a country standard. :wink: Also, if you remember, when the album was first released, he said he didn't consider After Hours a 'standards' album. He looked at it more as a collection of love songs. To me, it works fine with the other songs, but we all perceive things differently.

zeldabjr
10-06-2012, 09:10 PM
I'll go with you Dreamer on this...I really like Worried Mind...and since no one apparently is ever gonna vote for the one I really don't like ... Route 66...my vote goes to .....Here's To Life

whitcap
10-06-2012, 09:26 PM

Freypower
10-06-2012, 09:53 PM
Here's To Life is my favourite track from this album. Why it is suddenly considered to have the 'best chance' of being eliminated given that as far as I can see only whitcap had previously voted for it, I do not know.

I am so out of synch with the 'majority' that I wish I had not played the game. Perhaps I will withdraw after this round.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-06-2012, 09:54 PM
no honey dont withdraw.please keep playing..thats why there is chocolate and vanilla

GlennLover
10-06-2012, 11:37 PM
Sorry I missed the last round. I have been busy & wasn't able to get online to vote. I would have voted for Worried Mind so it would have been interesting.

Speaking only for myself, the fact that he changed so much for this album is what makes it for me. I didn't want 'more of the same'. 'More of the same' I have already had. I wanted something different and that is what I got. Others do not feel that way & they don't like it as much as I do, but if I like it because it's 'different' I feell I have the right to say so.

There is plenty of variety on this album, in my opinion. I said nothing about the music of Worried Mind. It is very pleasant to listen to.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's To Life is my favourite track from this album. Why it is suddenly considered to have the 'best chance' of being eliminated given that as far as I can see only whitcap had previously voted for it, I do not know.

I am so out of synch with the 'majority' that I wish I had not played the game. Perhaps I will withdraw after this round.

Please don't withdraw, FP. Stay & keep me company. I pretty much agree with all you said in the quote above. I can't stop playing this album! I just love it!!! That voice!

Here's To Life is one of my two favorite songs. When he sings the line "to dreamers & their dreams" I just melt! I haven't decided which one I will vote to win yet. So, that being said

SAVE HERE'S TO LIFE!!!

VOTE WORRIED MIND!!!

GlennLover
10-06-2012, 11:38 PM
I vote Worried Mind.

10-06-2012, 11:55 PM

OMG FP - My call for a coalition certainly was not intended as a personal affront against you. In this case, my choice of songs was simple - Here's to Life happens to have the most votes of any of the remaining songs and based on comments I've heard about the song, my instincts made me think it has the best chance of being eliminated. I could certainly be wrong though. The bottom line is the coalition will not work if more people like Here's to Life more than Worried Mind.

Perhaps your sheer adoration of this album is fueling your hyper-sensitivity about this. I certainly hope you continue with the game and enjoy yourself, but it's definitely not worth getting stressed out over it.

10-06-2012, 11:59 PM
Here's To Life is one of my two favorite songs. When he sings the line "to dreamers & their dreams" I just melt!

I'm definitely with you there! I like to pretend he's singing that line to me! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
10-07-2012, 12:00 AM
I'm definitely with you there! I like to pretend he's singing that line for me! :thumbsup:

I think of you when he sings it! :)

Glennsallnighter
10-07-2012, 07:46 AM
Don't withdraw FP! We'd miss your input which is as important as anybody else's. Personally I'm kinda with you on all of this. I was the first person to vote in round 1 for 'Worried Mind' and for broadly similar reasons to yourself. But we are all different and so different songs will have different appeal (or lack if it) to different people

While HTL is not my favourite track on the CD I would not like to see it offered as an alternative to WM. I think for anyone who saw it live in LA it will hold a special significane, that being the only of the 6 original dates where he sang it. And it was powerful.

scottside
10-07-2012, 10:38 AM
I'm with Freypower in that Here's to Life is just amazing, and I really like Worried Mind in that it's different from the others so I'll go with I Wanna Be Around.

Glennhoney
10-07-2012, 02:27 PM
..my vote is for "I wanna be around"...please let's save "Worried Mind"..

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL THE CANADIANS ON THE BORDER!!!

Freypower
10-07-2012, 06:00 PM
OMG FP - My call for a coalition certainly was not intended as a personal affront against you. In this case, my choice of songs was simple - Here's to Life happens to have the most votes of any of the remaining songs and based on comments I've heard about the song, my instincts made me think it has the best chance of being eliminated. I could certainly be wrong though. The bottom line is the coalition will not work if more people like Here's to Life more than Worried Mind.

Perhaps your sheer adoration of this album is fueling your hyper-sensitivity about this. I certainly hope you continue with the game and enjoy yourself, but it's definitely not worth getting stressed out over it.

You are correct to say that I adore the album and that I am hypersensitive about it. I was taken by surprise by your call for THAT SONG to go, yesterday, and I'm afraid that I reacted very badly indeed. That is why I was not seen on the board for the rest of the day. I had forgotten that I wrote 'I wish I had not played the game'.

I will of course continue to vote but I think it's doubtful that I wll be expressing many opinions because it seems to me that my opinions on these songs are best kept to myself.

I would say this though; if there is anybody who hasn't voted who thinks as I do that Here's To Life is the album's vocal tour de force and should be saved at least for another round, and that Worried Mind has had a very good run, please vote for Worried Mind. And even if HTL isn't your favourite track, just consider the sheer drama that he brings to it. All the JOY he brings, if you like. :) That's my line; here's to life and all the joy it brings.

Brooke
10-07-2012, 09:02 PM
Please stay in the game, Fp! I, too, really enjoy all your thoughts on the songs. I'm witcha on Worried Mind too.

As much as I like the song, it just doesn't fit this album for me. Again, I vote for Worried Mind.

10-07-2012, 09:46 PM
I think of you when he sings it! :)

Awwww - thanks GL ... that was sweet. :hug:

You are correct to say that I adore the album and that I am hypersensitive about it. I was taken by surprise by your call for THAT SONG to go, yesterday, and I'm afraid that I reacted very badly indeed. That is why I was not seen on the board for the rest of the day. I had forgotten that I wrote 'I wish I had not played the game'.

I will of course continue to vote but I think it's doubtful that I wll be expressing many opinions because it seems to me that my opinions on these songs are best kept to myself.

I would say this though; if there is anybody who hasn't voted who thinks as I do that Here's To Life is the album's vocal tour de force and should be saved at least for another round, and that Worried Mind has had a very good run, please vote for Worried Mind. And even if HTL isn't your favourite track, just consider the sheer drama that he brings to it. All the JOY he brings, if you like. :) That's my line; here's to life and all the joy it brings.

Thank you for your post, FP. As I said, I certainly didn't intend to upset you with my choice. As we've said before, sometimes you have to have a thick skin to play Survivor - just try to keep reminding yourself that it's only a game. You'll be glad to know that it's not looking very good for the coalition this time anyway. For what it's worth, I did also consider targeting I Wanna Be Around and Route 66, but thought Here's to Life was the better choice at the time. I'm not sure that the coalition would have suceeded with those either, but I guess we'll never know now. :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2012, 03:47 AM
Again I vote for 'Worried Mind' this round!

timfan
10-08-2012, 08:51 AM
Well sad as it is after many near misses, it looks like Worried Mind is going down this round . Therefore I'll vote for my least favourite song on this album For Sentimental Reasons.

TimothyBFan
10-08-2012, 09:36 AM
I vote Worried Mind again.

Glennsallnighter
10-08-2012, 11:18 AM
Well sad as it is after many near misses, it looks like Worried Mind is going down this round . Therefore I'll vote for my least favourite song on this album For Sentimental Reasons.

Oh TF! That makes me so sad to hear this" FSR is one of my top favourites! But each to her own I guess!

Henley Honey
10-08-2012, 12:28 PM
Once again, Worried Mind.

Brooke
10-08-2012, 01:09 PM
It's because he is paying homage to Ray Charles rather than it being 'country'.

http://www.glennfreyafterhours.com/news/85071

“This is probably one of the only Ray Charles songs I would ever attempt to sing myself. There’s no beating Ray. It was on a country album that he did, and I always loved it. I thought, It’d be nice on an album full of very sophisticated chord changes to do something a little simpler.
“It’s got the country tinge, but it’s still a piano/vocal song, with beautiful steel guitar work and a great piano solo by Michael Thompson.”

I saw it live! Yes, but I'm afraid it still is not one of my favourite tracks, and I can't help that.

Thanks for that Fp. I had completely forgotten this! Mystery solved!

sodascouts
10-08-2012, 05:39 PM
I will of course continue to vote but I think it's doubtful that I wll be expressing many opinions because it seems to me that my opinions on these songs are best kept to myself

I'm glad to hear you are continuing to play, seeing as how you urged me to do this game so many times!

At the risk of upsetting you, though...

I cast my vote for Here's to Life.

I would have actually voted for this earlier if it weren't for the fact that when Glenn sang this live in Los Angeles, he sold it so hard that I gave it a standing ovation... and it used to be my least favorite track! That amazing performance bumped the album version up to mid-level for me, but even that couldn't make it a fave.

My reasons:
1) Those two lyrics that annoy me: "There's no yes in yesterday" (I guess that lyric was supposed to be ironic but it just comes off as silly to me) and "memories you've memorized" (let's be a bit more creative with our word usage, people).
2) The fact that it's just. so. dang. slow. moving. The "May all your storms be weathered" packs a terrific punch and I love it, but the song takes way too long to get there.

Freypower
10-08-2012, 05:45 PM
I'm glad to hear you are continuing to play, seeing as how you urged me to do this game so many times!

At the risk of upsetting you, though...

I would have actually voted for this earlier if it weren't for the fact that when Glenn sang this live in Los Angeles, he sold it so hard that I gave it a standing ovation... and it used to be my least favorite track! That performance bumped it up to mid-level for me, but even that couldn't make it a fave.

My reasons:
1) Those two lyrics that annoy me: "There's no yes in yesterday" (I guess that lyric was supposed to be ironic but it just comes off as silly to me) and "memories you've memorized" (let's be a bit more creative with our word usage people).
2) The fact that it's just so. dang. slow. moving. The ending "May all your storms be weathered" packs a terrific punch and I love it, but the song takes way too long to get there.

I know 'memories you've memorised' is not the greatest lyric in the world but it's a small price to pay for the intense drama of the song. You say it's too slow. In my opinion that is what makes it so powerful. In LA he talked about it being like a David Lean movie. I knew exactly what he meant. Big, wide & deep (well, deep for me at any rate). I also rate it as a vocal performance right up there with POMPOY. It's that important to me.

I like 'there's no yes in yesterday' although the meaning of it isn't that clear. If you put it in context with the following line 'and who knows what tomorrow brings/or takes away' it seems to be emphasising that nobody can know whether to look back or to look forward but they have to keep searching for what seems right.

sodascouts
10-08-2012, 05:52 PM
I like 'there's no yes in yesterday' although the meaning of it isn't that clear. If you put it in context with the following line 'and who knows what tomorrow brings/or takes away' it seems to be emphasising that nobody can know whether to look back or to look forward but they have to keep searching for what seems right.

Interesting. I took it to me that looking back is pointless (ie, there's no "yes" in "yesterday" because there's nothing positive about focusing on the past), but since the future is uncertain too, we should live for today and keep "in the game" as long as we can.

The idea is a nice one; the way it's communicated is not (IMHO). It's like saying "there's no me in team" to illustrate that one should be team-oriented, but I'm the person in the back unable to appreciate that point because I'm thinking "Well actually... I see an 'm' and an 'e' in there..." lol

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2012, 06:08 PM
Forgive me! I know I'm not playing the game! But the saying is there is no 'I' in team. Not 'me'. :) Being a volleyball player, I got to hear our coach say it every day and twice on game days.

I take the line about there is no 'yes' in yesterday along with 'and who knows what tomorrow brings/or takes away' to mean that looking to the past and/or to the future is OK, but your answers are not in the past and you can't count on the future to be predictable.

sodascouts
10-08-2012, 07:02 PM
I know that the typical saying is "There's no 'I' in team." However, I have heard the other one used as well - probably because the people using it didn't get the point of the original saying - and to that one, I wince.

(I gotta admit, when I heard one of my co-workers say "There's no 'me' in team", I felt compelled to say something... it didn't go over well. lol)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-08-2012, 07:08 PM
I know that the typical saying is "There's no 'I' in team." However, I have heard the other one used as well - probably because the people using it didn't get the point of the original saying - and to that one, I wince.

(I gotta admit, when I heard one of my co-workers say "There's no 'me' in team", I felt compelled to say something... it didn't go over well. lol)

LOL!

10-08-2012, 07:45 PM
Well - it won't matter for this round, but I'll vote for the future. I'll stick with my least favorite ...

I cast my vote for Here's To Life.

10-08-2012, 08:05 PM
The next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is Worried Mind. “Worried Mind”, I hope it’s hakuna matata for the rest of your days, but the tribe has spoken. Now, go find a new love and a home so fine because you must please leave the island immediately.

Vote
Worried Mind – 7
Here’s To Life – 4
I Wanna Be Around – 2
For Sentimental Reasons – 1

Vote Breakdown
Worried Mind – Freypower
Worried Mind – GlennLover
Worried Mind – Brooke
Here’s To Life - zeldabjr
Here’s To Life – whitcap
Here’s To Life – sodascouts
Here’s To Life – Ive always been a dreamer
I Wanna Be Around – scottside
I Wanna Be Around – Glennhoney
For Sentimental Reasons – timfan

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
Worried Mind - 10/08

Voting for Round 8 starts now!

Freypower
10-08-2012, 08:07 PM
If Here's To Life goes this round, fair enough if that is what people want, but as I say it is my favourite track.

Perhaps it's time for me to upset people. :hilarious: I vote for For Sentimental Reasons. Even though I saw him dedicate it to Cindy it is my least favourite of the remaining songs.

WalshFan88
10-08-2012, 08:19 PM
I Wanna Be Around

zeldabjr
10-08-2012, 08:28 PM
Route 66

whitcap
10-08-2012, 09:24 PM

Tiffanny Twisted
10-08-2012, 10:02 PM
I want to be around

timfan
10-08-2012, 10:28 PM
For Sentimental Reasons

TimothyBFan
10-09-2012, 08:29 AM
The "May all your storms be weathered" packs a terrific punch and I love it, but the song takes way too long to get there.

I was going to mention that line. I love that!! Well said! But of the remaining song, this is my least favorite.

And why are you not playing, VA? I guess I hadn't noticed, so just curious.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-09-2012, 08:48 AM
And why are you not playing, VA? I guess I hadn't noticed, so just curious.

I can't vote any of these songs off the island. It just seems unnatural to me! Other than my favorite two, the rest change several times a day on which are my favorite, so I'd just end up chasing my tail anyway.

scottside
10-09-2012, 09:55 AM
I vote for I Want To Be Around.

Henley Honey
10-09-2012, 12:24 PM
My vote this round goes to: Here's To Life

I love the passion that he brings to this song and that makes it painful to cast this vote.

prayfordaylight
10-09-2012, 01:46 PM
I Want To Be Around

Glennhoney
10-09-2012, 04:53 PM
..I want to be around...

Freypower
10-09-2012, 05:49 PM
Pedant's Corner:

Although 'I Want To Be Around' is gramatically correct the title of the song is 'I Wanna Be Around'.

Brooke
10-09-2012, 07:48 PM
That 'there's no yes in yesterday' line bugs me too.

Freypower
10-09-2012, 08:12 PM
And yet you have a line from the song in your signature!

Everyone is so different.

Brooke
10-09-2012, 08:29 PM
Yeah, I know! I like that line! lol

It's getting really hard now to decide. I know my top two, but the rest are tough! :headscratch:

sodascouts
10-09-2012, 09:33 PM
I'm going to make an argument to keep "I Wanna Be Around." I absolutely love how this song's melody and vocal sounds so smooth and sweet and at first you think you're getting another romantic ballad.... perhaps a melancholy mourning of lost love... but then as the song goes on you realize the lyrics are actually ruthless and brutal! The "romantic" tenor of Glenn's vocal just makes the real message all the more devastating. Such a cleverly delivered piece of musical irony. Plus, the way he sings "misery loves company...wait and see" and the way he belts out the end... NICE!

With that in mind....

Freypower
10-09-2012, 10:31 PM
I'm going to make an argument to keep "I Wanna Be Around." I absolutely love how this song's melody and vocal sounds so smooth and sweet and at first you think you're getting another romantic ballad.... perhaps a melancholy mourning of lost love... but then as the song goes on you realize the lyrics are actually ruthless and brutal! The "romantic" tenor of Glenn's vocal just makes the real message all the more devastating. Such a cleverly delivered piece of musical irony. Plus, the way he sings "misery loves company...wait and see" and the way he belts out the end... NICE!

With that in mind....

I agree with the above description of I Wanna Be Around.

Koala
10-10-2012, 01:31 AM

EaglesKiwi
10-10-2012, 04:22 AM
I can't vote any of these songs off the island. It just seems unnatural to me! Other than my favorite two, the rest change several times a day on which are my favorite, so I'd just end up chasing my tail anyway.
Me too. And reading everybody's comments just makes me change my mind even more...

Glennsallnighter
10-10-2012, 11:08 AM
This is getting so difficult as I love all of the remaining songs! All of them are very strong and evoke very strong emotions. I've been looking at the list, but really feel that 'I Wanna Be Around' doesn't have the same punching power as the remaining songs. Therefore much as it pains me, I wanna vote it off!

GlennLover
10-10-2012, 04:46 PM
I won't be around later so I will cast my vote now. I was hoping to wait until later.

Although I agree with Soda's impressions of I Wanna Be Around, Here's To Life is one of my two favorites so in order to try to save it - I cast my vote for I Wanna Be Around.

10-10-2012, 07:54 PM
I agree with Soda’s comments on both Here’s To Life and I Wanna Be Around. The problem with Here’s To Life from my perspective is that although the end is very powerful and dramatic, getting there is much too slow and low-key. To me the song would be so much more effective if there was more of a gradual build-up in intensity throughout the song instead of leaving it all for the end. As far as I Wanna Be Around, it has a great melody and I love the jazzy arrangement, and, yes, even those vengeful lyrics. Glenn’s vocal delivery in both songs is exceptional, but I definitely prefer the latter. So with apologies to those who adore it …

I cast my vote for Here’s To Life.

10-10-2012, 08:19 PM
In a tied round, the next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is Here's To Life. “Here's To Life”, I hope you still believe in chasing dreams and placing bets, but you'll have to do it elsewhere. The tribe has spoken and you must please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Here’s To Life – 7
I Wanna Be Around – 7
For Sentimental Reasons – 2
Route 66 – 1

Previous Votes
Here’s To Life – 7
I Wanna Be Around – 3

Vote Breakdown
Here’s To Life – whitcap
Here’s To Life – TimothyBFan
Here’s To Life – Henley Honey
Here’s To Life – Brooke
Here’s To Life – sodascouts
Here’s To Life – Koala
Here’s To Life – Ive always been a dreamer
I Wanna Be Around – WalshFan88
I Wanna Be Around – Tiffanny Twisted
I Wanna Be Around – prayfordaylight
I Wanna Be Around – Glennhoney
I Wanna Be Around – Glennsallnighter
I Wanna Be Around – GlennLover
For Sentimental Reasons – Freypower
For Sentimental Reasons – timfan
Route 66 – zeldabjr

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10

Voting for Round 9 starts now!

whitcap
10-10-2012, 08:42 PM
I vote for The Shadow of Your Smile.

Freypower
10-10-2012, 10:03 PM
I agree with Soda’s comments on both Here’s To Life and I Wanna Be Around. The problem with Here’s To Life from my perspective is that although the end is very powerful and dramatic, getting there is much too slow and low-key. To me the song would be so much more effective if there was more of a gradual build-up in intensity throughout the song instead of leaving it all for the end. As far as I Wanna Be Around, it has a great melody and I love the jazzy arrangement, and, yes, even those vengeful lyrics. Glenn’s vocal delivery in both songs is exceptional, but I definitely prefer the latter. So with apologies to those who adore it …

I cast my vote for Here’s To Life.

Well, you see,I think Here's To Life is the most intense & dramatic song on the album, right throughout the song, not just the end. If you don't think the 'funny how the time just flies' part isn't dramatic, let alone the way he sings the title & following line, well, I guess I can't explain any further why I think it is.

My next vote is For Sentimental Reasons.

sodascouts
10-10-2012, 10:44 PM
The Shadow of Your Smile and For Sentimental Reasons are both favorites of mine! They're both so romantic and his vocal, especially on the former, is absolutely staggering.

The song that's next on my list:

I cast my vote for Route 66.

It's cute, catchy, and clever - but it certainly doesn't pack the kind of punch the other remaining songs do.

WalshFan88
10-11-2012, 02:57 AM
I Wanna Be Around...

zeldabjr
10-11-2012, 05:04 AM
Route 66

Tiffanny Twisted
10-11-2012, 06:33 AM
i wanna be around

TimothyBFan
10-11-2012, 07:36 AM
This will probably be an unpopular vote but it's actually my next least favorite on the album.

I vote for The Shadow Of Your Smile.

prayfordaylight
10-11-2012, 07:48 AM
Voting for I Wanna Be Around again. Can't pick between the others.

scottside
10-11-2012, 09:18 AM
I vote for I Want To Be Around again.

Henley Honey
10-11-2012, 11:08 AM
I vote for Route 66 in hopes that it saves I Wanna Be Around!!!!

GlennLover
10-11-2012, 04:48 PM
This is just too hard! :brickwall:I know my favorite but, all the rest rank as #2.

timfan
10-11-2012, 09:25 PM
I vote for The Shadow of Your Smile

EaglesKiwi
10-12-2012, 02:23 AM
I vote for I Wanna Be Around.

While I like IWBA and R66 equally music-wise, I love the whole idea of just driving down R66 on a big trip to the States...

Tiffanny Twisted
10-12-2012, 06:51 AM
This is just too hard! :brickwall:I know my favorite but, all the rest rank as #2.

hey I"m with you. its getting difficult.:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

Brooke
10-12-2012, 08:25 AM
I vote for Route 66. I just really like all the others better.

Glennsallnighter
10-12-2012, 10:57 AM
This is like you have 6 kids and 5 seats in the car. Who do you leave behind! Love both IWBA and Route 66.

So I reluctantly cast my vote for 'I Wanna Be Around'

sodascouts
10-12-2012, 11:43 AM
Oh, we must keep the magnificent SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE! "A teardrop kissed your lips.... and so did I" <------ I melt every freaking time I hear this. When you're hearing it live, it's almost too much to take! I often have to make a conscious decision not to give a standing ovation afterwards in order to avoid embarrassing myself by being too fangirl. It all depends on whether there are enough people standing around me to hide my reaction. It is my favorite of the covers and MUST STAY LONGER!!!

Freypower
10-12-2012, 06:19 PM
Oh, we must keep the magnificent SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE! "A teardrop kissed your lips.... and so did I" <------ I melt every freaking time I hear this. When you're hearing it live, it's almost too much to take! I often have to make a conscious decision not to give a standing ovation afterwards in order to avoid embarrassing myself by being too fangirl. It all depends on whether there are enough people standing around me to hide my reaction. It is my favorite of the covers and MUST STAY LONGER!!!

I agree, but this game just has not gone anywhere near the way I thought it should have. :sad:

timfan
10-12-2012, 06:26 PM
It certainly has been an interesting game with many twists and turns :thumbsup:

10-12-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree, tf, although I really had no idea in which order the songs would be eliminated. Honestly, I'm not too surprised about the songs that are remaining. Now, as far as my vote for this round, I would have voted for Route 66 if there had been a possibility to eliminate it. But, since it's not going down this round, I'm going to cast a purely strategic vote just to try to even the playing field ...

I cast my vote for After Hours.

10-12-2012, 08:39 PM
The next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is I Wanna Be Around. “I Wanna Be Around”, I guess somebody has broke your heart. You won't be applauding from your front row seat now. The tribe has spoken and you must please leave the island immediately.

Votes
I Wanna Be Around – 6
Route 66 – 4
The Shadow of Your Smile – 3
After Hours – 1

Vote Breakdown
I Wanna Be Around – WalshFan88
I Wanna Be Around – Tiffanny Twisted
I Wanna Be Around – prayfordaylight
I Wanna Be Around – EaglesKiwi
I Wanna Be Around – Glennsallnighter
Route 66 – sodascouts
Route 66 – zeldabjr
Route 66 – Henley Honey
Route 66 – Brooke
The Shadow of Your Smile – whitcap
The Shadow of Your Smile – TimothyBFan
The Shadow of Your Smile – timfan
After Hours – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10

Voting for Round 10 starts now!

whitcap
10-12-2012, 08:44 PM

zeldabjr
10-12-2012, 09:38 PM
Route 66

Glennhoney
10-12-2012, 09:40 PM
The shadow of your smile :brickwall:

Freypower
10-12-2012, 09:41 PM
For Sentimental Reasons

sodascouts
10-13-2012, 01:22 AM
NO NOT SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!

This is INSANITY!
SAVE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!!! VOTE ROUTE 66!!!

And in case I wasn't clear...

WalshFan88
10-13-2012, 01:27 AM
It's getting tougher...

Since we are so close to the end I'll go ahead and say that Rte. 66 is my favorite song from the album. I just love that song... For Sentimental Reasons is right after it. I want to keep After Hours around for a bit longer.

I'm voting...

The Look Of Love

Freypower
10-13-2012, 01:47 AM
NO NOT SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!

This is INSANITY!
SAVE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!!! VOTE ROUTE 66!!!

And in case I wasn't clear...

Perhaps you may understand somewhat better now how I felt seeing Here's To Life go down.

I love TSOYS too. It is a far more powerful performance than the pleasant but in my opinion rather slight For Sentimental Reasons.

Koala
10-13-2012, 05:33 AM
The Shadow of Your Smile

timfan
10-13-2012, 09:13 AM
Sorry ladies Route 66 is one of my few favs remaining ...I vote for The Shadow of Your Smile

scottside
10-13-2012, 10:02 AM
I vote for The Shadow Of Your Smile.

10-13-2012, 01:09 PM
Wow! Speaking of twists and turns, I sure didn't see all these votes for The Shadow of Your Smile coming. I'm going to join Soda and try to urge the remaining voters to save this song. It is one absolutely gorgeous song, IMO. It is a great song anyway, but talk about an exceptional vocal delivery and arrangement - I've been on YouTube and listened to pretty much all the versions of this song that are out there, and to me, Glenn's version is the best of the best. The lyrics in this song are incredible - every line builds to paint an amazingly dramatic image in my mind. This picture created by the lyrics combine with Glenn's voice and the music (especially the sax solo) that results in a piece of music that is near perfection - nothing short of meltworthy. So please ...

SAVE THE SHADOW OF YOUR SMILE!!!

VOTE FOR ROUTE 66!!!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-13-2012, 02:10 PM
sorry guys , I vote for after hours.
I really like the shadow of your smile and he looks like he is having too much fun doing route 66.
I also like sentintal resaons.
so as I said...I vote for after hours to go:thumbsdown:

sodascouts
10-13-2012, 04:24 PM
I have to admit I'm astonished. I thought "Shadow of Your Smile" and "After Hours" would be the final two. They're definitely my favorites on the album and while I certainly don't expect everyone to agree with me... still. They are the songs with the high drama, with the most emotion. Yeah, it's cute to have a song about taking a trip and that's nice and all, but it's got nowhere near the intensity or emotional punch of these two.

Freypower
10-13-2012, 08:16 PM
It has seemed to me throughout that the most dramatic songs were most people's least favourites. Hence the popularity of FSR which has no drama at all. I'm surprised by the showing of TLOL which is a favourite of mine.

Glennsallnighter
10-14-2012, 10:40 AM
Well TSOYS would be in my top few songs as well and like Soda I would also have seen it in the final 2 or three! For me this round was a toss between Route 66 and TLOL. So in an effort to save TSOYS I'm happy enough to vote for Route 66.

10-14-2012, 02:52 PM
Well I won't be around when the voting closes tonight, so I need to go ahead and vote now. There are still quite a few outstanding votes so I'm crossing my fingers that the remaining tribe members will join us who love The Shadow of Your Smile and save it from going down ...

GlennLover
10-14-2012, 03:29 PM
I won't be around later either so to try to save TSOYS, I vote Route 66.

Henley Honey
10-14-2012, 05:22 PM
Ditto -- so with a heavy heart, I vote for Route 66 .

Brooke
10-14-2012, 05:32 PM
I vote for Route 66 again. Just no where near the greatness of the remaining songs. For me anyways!

Freypower
10-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I vote for Route 66 again. Just no where near the greatness of the remaining songs. For me anyways!

OK, I have to ask.

Why is For Sentimental Reasons so 'great'? I seem to be the only person who finds it merely pleasant, even though I've seen him sing it. It doesn't offer nearly as much as the majority of the other songs in my opinion; the lyric is ordinary and the vocal isn't anything special by the standards of the other songs. Why do people love it so much? Is it because it sounds more like the type of song you are more familiar with?

Give me Route 66 any day, because I never thought I would hear Glenn Frey basically singing jazz.

Brooke
10-14-2012, 05:43 PM
And I think that's why I really don't care for it. Jazz. I just prefer the style of the other songs over it. :shrug:

sodascouts
10-14-2012, 06:45 PM
I have to say, FP, I find "For Sentimental Reasons" far superior to "Route 66." It has an emotional depth that Route 66 doesn't have; the romance of it, and Glenn's vocal delivery, warms me all over; it's got a lovely melody that sticks in your head (well, it sticks in mine, at least). If I should ever get married one day, I think I'll play it at my wedding.

Freypower
10-14-2012, 07:17 PM
I have to say, FP, I find "For Sentimental Reasons" far superior to "Route 66." It has an emotional depth that Route 66 doesn't have; the romance of it, and Glenn's vocal delivery, warms me all over; it's got a lovely melody that sticks in your head (well, it sticks in mine, at least). If I should ever get married one day, I think I'll play it at my wedding.

It's probably unfair to compare these two songs. It's just that the game has turned out so that people have to choose between the two of them. I prefer Route 66 because it's so much fun. I'm not hearing that much emotional depth in FSR. As I said compared to some of the other tracks I don't think there is that much to it. But I appear to be the only person who thinks so.

sodascouts
10-14-2012, 08:01 PM
The next song to be eliminated from After Hours Survivor is Route 66. “Route 66”, now's your chance to go and take that California trip - because it's time for you to go. The tribe has spoken. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Route 66 – 7
The Shadow of Your Smile – 5
The Look of Love - 1
After Hours – 1

Vote Breakdown
Route 66 – zeldabjr
Route 66 – sodascouts
Route 66 - Glennsallnighter
Route 66 - Ive always been a dreamer
Route 66 - GlennLover
Route 66 – Henley Honey
Route 66 – Brooke
The Shadow of Your Smile – whitcap
The Shadow of Your Smile - Glennhoney
The Shadow of Your Smile - Koala
The Shadow of Your Smile – timfan
The Shadow of Your Smile - scottside
The Look of Love - WalshFan88
After Hours - Tiffanny Twisted

Songs in play:

Songs eliminated:
Same Girl - 09/26
My Buddy - 09/30
Caroline, No - 10/02
The Good Life - 10/04
Worried Mind - 10/08
Here's to Life - 10/10
Route 66 - 10/14

Voting for Round 11 starts now!

whitcap
10-14-2012, 08:04 PM

sodascouts
10-14-2012, 08:05 PM
Wow, I'm so relieved that "The Shadow of Your Smile" is still around!

Now, if I had my druthers, my next one to vote off would be "The Look of Love." However, "For Sentimental Reasons" might be best for a coalition vote because of previous votes, but I notice only FP has voted for it in the past, so... I'm not sure how people feel. I guess I'll wait and see!

zeldabjr
10-14-2012, 08:23 PM
After Hours

timfan
10-14-2012, 08:29 PM
Waiting to vote til I see how the round develops but I wanted to say that FP has not been the only vote for "For Sentimental Reasons" I voted for it one round and would have voted for it much more but my vote was needed strategicly elsewhere. FSR is my least fav song on this album; while it is pleasant and melodic there is nothing that makes it memorable for me. JMO of course

WalshFan88
10-14-2012, 08:30 PM
The Shadow Of Your Smile

----

I'm massively disappointed Route 66 was voted off. By far the best one on there AFAIC. I prefer it to the sappy dramatic stuff. The only other one I really like is For Sentimental Reasons, which I hope wins this thing.