PDA

View Full Version : Least Favorite Household chore?

zeldabjr
10-15-2012, 09:28 PM
I was just thinking about how much I hate dusting and wondering if I'm the only one...I'd rather clean a million toilets than dust!...keep putting it off 'cause I hate it!

Witchy Woman
10-15-2012, 09:50 PM
I hate housework in general, but if I have to pick one I hate the most it would be doing the laundry. I'd rather vacuum a thousand rugs than do a load of laundry !! :-x

Grey Sadler
10-15-2012, 09:52 PM
Folding the laundry and putting up the dishes...
I sure enjoy putting them in their respective washers, though...weird

Freypower
10-15-2012, 10:04 PM
Vacuuming & cleaning the bathrooms.

I like doing washing & ironing.

Tiffanny Twisted
10-15-2012, 10:15 PM
Is cooking a house hold chore???
I suck at it.
but I do hate laudry cause it is never ending ...even when you are done..you never are
lol

Freypower
10-15-2012, 10:48 PM
But what is there to hate about laundry? You put it in the machine, you hang it out to dry or put it in the dryer, you iron it.

zeldabjr
10-15-2012, 11:06 PM
But what is there to hate about laundry? You put it in the machine, you hang it out to dry or put it in the dryer, you iron it.

if my washer and dryer weren't two flights down...it wouldn't be so bad...but I have a bum ankle and it hurts!...but I'd still rather do that than dust!....actually I do like to iron...it's instant gratification...

Freypower
10-15-2012, 11:10 PM
if my washer and dryer weren't two flights down...it wouldn't be so bad...but I have a bum ankle and it hurts!...but I'd still rather do that than dust!....actually I do like to iron...it's instant gratification...

Well, I can see how that affects your feelings about it! I am in a house so it isn't a big deal for me. :)

Witchy Woman
10-15-2012, 11:22 PM

It's more the folding than anything. It just seems so tedious. And don't get me started on fitted bedsheets !!

zeldabjr
10-15-2012, 11:54 PM
It's more the folding than anything. It just seems so tedious. And don't get me started on fitted bedsheets !!

oh yeah the dreaded fitted sheet!!

Glennsallnighter
10-16-2012, 08:32 AM
Mostly I hate cleaning bathrooms! I don't mind the dusting although it makes me feel like I have the flu by the time I'm through with it! Same with ironing. I iron in front of the TV often with Farewell 1 on, so I'm quite happy ironing away for a few hours if I need to! Hate hanging up the ironed clothes though. That's where Laura comes in!

However I'm lucky that I dont need to do much housework now as I have an au pair who does a fair bit of the laundry, ironing vacuuming and general cleaning (and she keeps asking for more to do!)

I do all the cooking though! I like to be in control of the food!

Brooke
10-16-2012, 10:29 AM
I'll go with dusting too! I just hate it! It makes me wish I didn't have anything sitting around.

And I agree about folding the fitted sheets. Ridiculously impossible! :crazy:

lizzyplays
10-16-2012, 11:49 AM
I don't mind laundry. I don't iron until I'm ready to wear that item, so that doesn't seem tedious. My 'everyday' clothes that I wear around the house or town to shop are just easy stuff to manage.

For the very reason that Brooke mentioned ( having things sitting around ), I don't have things sitting around so that dusting is a breeze. I hate clutter.

Cooking is NOT work to me! I could spend all day cooking. Sometimes, I do. Not fond of dishwashing, but we have a dishwasher, but I don't put everything in there, some stuff is done by hand. I can't stand dirty dishes laying around though (had a roommate that did that, drove me insane). Oddly enough, I'm really not a anal or a clean freak.

Vacuuming seems pretty easy for the most part.

I guess cleaning bathrooms would be the thing I hate most!!

Oh, I never have a problem with fitted sheet folding. I fold them inside out. Obviously they will never be as sharp looking as the top sheet.

Troubadour
10-16-2012, 01:32 PM
I guess washing up is my least favourite task! I don't mind ironing or hoovering at all.

Brooke
10-16-2012, 01:57 PM
I don't iron until I'm ready to wear it either, so I don't mind it. My laundry room has a clothes rack where I hang what needs hanging out of the dryer and a shelf for folded items waiting to be put away.

Freypower
10-16-2012, 04:52 PM
You can't fold fitted sheets so why try? I just 'sort of' fold them & put them away. The only things I fold are underwear & towels. Socks are rolled up into pairs. Everything else will be ironed so I put it in the washing basked until the next day when I iron it.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 04:56 PM
My stepmother can fold a fitted sheet flat as a pancake. It's like watching magic, I can't figure out how she does it. I'm with you, I sort of fold them and put the whole set in one of the pillow cases, so I can grab out of the closet and I have it all. And it hides the fact that the fitted sheet is 'sort of' folded.

My least favorite chore is always the one I'm doing at that particular moment.

Witchy Woman
10-16-2012, 05:52 PM
Haha. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTyH2nuFAw

lizzyplays
10-16-2012, 07:03 PM
I hate folding clothes in general and have taken to hanging up things like tshirts and sweat pants, just to avoid having to fold and put in drawers! I can't even fathom folding underwear... I guess I'm a bit lazy! I do pair up the socks though.. that's about the extent of any extra work that I do as far as laundry is concerned.

I avoid the whole folding sheets thing by putting the same set back on the bed after washing. Then toss them out when they get worn out from all that washing. lol

Maybe this is why I am single??? :hilarious:

Freypower
10-16-2012, 07:32 PM
I fold my underwear & my daughter's underwear but not my husband's because he prefers to have each pair laid on top of each other.

Years ago my mother used to IRON sheets, towels, socks & underwear. I don't think even she does that these days.

zeldabjr
10-16-2012, 07:44 PM
Haha. Awesome.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHTyH2nuFAw

I sort of fold it like that...sort of...this guy took way too much care and time with it in my book, but I will try it!...Is there anything you can't find on Youtube?!....thanks WW

VA I like your way of putting it all in a pillowcase...never thought to do that...genius!

SallyGee
10-16-2012, 08:57 PM
I hate cleaning the bathrooms! And folding laundry. It never ends! But I don't mind folding towels. Socks are the worst. There are always a few that have lost their mates. They go into a bag and I go through it every week or two and match them up.

Prettymaid
10-16-2012, 08:58 PM
Good topic Zelda!

The house chore I seem to put off the most is mopping. My kitchen floor is pretty large so it seems so time consuming to me, but in reality it probably only takes me 10-15 minutes to do it (and then the bathroom floor). Also, the motion of mopping (and vaccuming) make my back ache. Last year I bought one of those steam mops and it takes a lot of pressure off of my back - I don't have to 'push' so hard. But I still tend to put it off.

I didn't watch the fitted sheet folding video yet, but from the picture it looks like it's being done the way I've done it in the past, tucking all four corners into each other and going from there. These days however, I pull a Liz and put the same sheets back on the bed after washing them. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-16-2012, 09:10 PM
PM, that's what I usually do, too, put them right back on the bed.

I'm not sure it's a household chore, but for me, the thing I absolutely detest is cleaning out the skimmer baskets in the pool. Living in a wooded area, you never know what you might find in there. I usually have to do it every day because the frogs get in there and can't get back out, too much suction, and so I have lift them out. Then I'm pretty sure it's the same stupid frog that's in there the next day. I'm not overly fond of them, but they are much preferable to some other things I've found in there. Today I got the pool closed for the season, so that icky task is over until next April or May.

sodascouts
10-16-2012, 09:42 PM
As a single girl with an apartment, I do the bachelorette thing and don't clean unless absolutely necessary. When I am forced to clean, what I hate the most is scrubbing the tub. I actually got a two-bathroom apartment just so that I would have to clean the bathroom less; I just direct guests to the one I don't use and don't worry about my own.

lizzyplays
10-16-2012, 10:26 PM
Good topic Zelda!
These days however, I pull a Liz and put the same sheets back on the bed after washing them. :thumbsup:

Thank goodness I am not alone!! LOL It didn't take me long into my marriage, years and years ago, to learn that little trick! I saw someone mention folding towels, now that I like to do! Tri-fold... :-)

EaglesKiwi
10-17-2012, 03:56 AM
I roll my fitted sheets to approx the same size as the flat sheets. I watched the video and the guy did a great job - but then I wouldn't be able to identify that as a fitted sheet when I needed one in a hurry because the cat has thrown up in my daughter's bed... so what's the point? :hilarious:

I don't absolutely hate any one chore, but what really gets me is the sheer repetitiveness and that it's never all FINISHED. Since Rob and I both work full time (& we haven't raised our teenage son right!) we seem to spend half the weekend doing housework and then we're too tired to enjoy anything else... and then the kids mess the place up again!

Rob is pretty good at helping out though.

If I do get a wee bit of time up my sleeve - say if hubby has taken the kids down to his parents - then I can chill out while doing housework and find it kind of fulfilling to be doing stuff for my family.

Oh, and I can't remember what dusting is! :rofl:

Brooke
10-17-2012, 11:00 AM
I kinda of sorta try to fold the fitted sheet. Once in a while, hubby will help me and we will stand and bring it together with the corners folded in. It somewhat works! lol

VA, I like your idea about putting them in a pillow case too! Makes sense.

I do hate mopping floors too. I don't have a mop and get down on hands and knees with bucket and rag. My mother-n-laws only way to do it and feel it's clean! :lol:

sodascouts
10-17-2012, 05:05 PM
I do hate mopping floors too. I don't have a mop and get down on hands and knees with bucket and rag. My mother-n-laws only way to do it and feel it's clean! :lol:

You don't use a mop?! Girl, you are a masochist! lol

Tiffanny Twisted
10-17-2012, 05:08 PM
today and right now I hateit all. first...i couldnt find the broom cause someone else used it ...now I cant find the vacume....I quit:blueblob:

zeldabjr
10-17-2012, 08:15 PM
I found a new one...putting away the summer clothes and getting out the winter clothes...it's a pain in the a..!

Ive always been a dreamer
10-17-2012, 08:57 PM
Well - I'm one that doesn't enjoy any housework at all. I've definitely never claimed to be a domestic goddess. However, I dislike dirt even more, so I'm forced to bite the bullet and just do it. I do bring in a housekeeper several times a year to get the really down and dirty stuff though.

Brooke
10-18-2012, 09:53 AM
I found a new one...putting away the summer clothes and getting out the winter clothes...it's a pain in the a..!

Uggggghhhhhhh! I'm in the midst of that one too! I HATE it! :brickwall:

TimothyBFan
10-18-2012, 11:55 AM
I'm just now getting to this thread and am enjoying reading everyone's post. I have to agree with most everyone here. It ALL sucks!!! :hilarious:

First I live in a very OLD house and even tho it's all been updated and remodeled (still looking rather old on purpose) we have only 3 closets in an 11 room house which makes it hard to put anything "away". The only closet downstairs is a catch all of kids stuff basically, from the daycare. We do have a large laundry room and it has several clothes racks where most all hubby and I's clothes are kept. We are in the process of adding 2 pantries to it also to help with the put away stuff. We also have a large loft room upstairs that is a catch all of bigger stuff. Lots of furniture, etc.. especially since we cleaned out both of our mother's homes within a 5 month period last year. Plus 2 kids that have packed up a lot of their stuff to keep for when they move out (especially Katie who did move out and moved back, toting dozens of boxes from her house). AND we are antique nuts and do auctions and things and tend to buy stuff to refinish when we have time.... Yeah--right!!!

Hubby would tell you the reason he bought me a Kindle Fire last year for Christmas was in hope of getting rid of the boxes of books I have in that room also. :hilarious: I'm getting there.

As far as the worst chore, I guess I'll say the bathroom also. It just seems to never stay clean.

I spend the most time on my floors because I simply HAVE TO!! With 5 critters, it's a never ending process just keeping the tumbleweeds of fur up. Swiffer is sometimes my best friend for that. But the dogs and hubby tracking in and out makes me nuts so the vinegar & water scrubbing is often. I've been thinking about getting one of those steamers also. Anyone here have one other than PM? Should I invest?

And for the record--- I LOVE cooking (not baking). But I do tend to get into a rut with the stuff I cook periodically. I love my Pinterest for all my new recipes I now get to try that I collect from others Pinterest accts!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-18-2012, 02:21 PM
I've lived in my house for nineteen years now, it's a small house, and when I moved in, all the rooms were hardwood flooring or vinyl except for two carpeted rooms. A few years ago, I took out the carpet and put hardwood flooring in, and took out the vinyl and put in ceramic tile (yes, a friend of mine and I did it all!) When I put in the kitchen floor, a white ceramic with light gray marbled swirls, you could see every hair my cat shed, which was a lot. I got tired of getting out the vacuum every day or every other day, so I bought an Electrolux cordless vac with a hand vac embedded in it. I no longer have the cat, but I still use the cordless often over all the floors, and use the real vacuum as part of the deeper cleaning that I do every other week. Same for the wet swiffer vs bucket and sponge. The cordless vac has made things a lot easier and quicker.

Outlawman13
02-25-2013, 06:49 PM
LOL I have two of them I hate doing more than anything:
Washing dishes and folding laundry. LOL. Some of my pet peeves there. LOL I guess it has to be done though.