PDA

View Full Version : Arts and Crafts - Share Your Talents

Prettymaid
10-24-2012, 07:07 PM
I've seen this topic come up in other threads, so I'm curious - who here loves to "make stuff"?

Ive always been a dreamer
10-24-2012, 07:21 PM
Great topic, PM - however, I'm about the least artsy craftsy person around so I probably won't be contributing much here. But, I'll definitely enjoy hearing about others talents. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-24-2012, 08:00 PM
I love to make 'stuff'! You've seen the quilt, I've made and handquilted about four of those and made and 'tied' three others. All Log Cabin or Log Cabin style except for the one baby quilt that consisted of six cross-stitched bears on squares, sewn together, then 'tied'.

I make silk flower arrangements, I have a bunch for every season, I guess I ought to get out the fall ones.

I don't paint in the traditional sense because I can't even draw stick figures. Really, the average three year old draws better than I do. But I paint ceramics and especially for Christmas. I painted a Christmas village a few years back, as well as candle holders and ornaments. Most of my Christmas decorations are things I made, wall decorations and every few years family members get a cross-stitched ornament or hand-painted ceramic ornament in their stockings. I've also made all the lighted garlands I use to decorate the house with.

I also like to crochet, I never learned to knit. Being left-handed meant learning to crochet was a challenge. I've crocheted a lot of baby blankets in my lifetime. And Black and Gold scarves :grin:

Lastly, by request I've made table clothes, placemats, and napkins to match people's existing decor or paint schemes. About fifteen years ago or so, I did a lot of sewing in order to make extra money, and I've made all the bridesmaids gowns for a couple of weddings I've been in.

I do all this stuff while watching TV (except when watching my teams play, that's way too stressful). Just sitting in front of the TV drives me crazy. It all helps counteract the logical software geekiness that tries to take over. Most of what I do these days are Christmas decorations and they all get donated to the church for their annual bazaar.

I consider cooking to be an art. I love to cook and bake. Absolutely love it.

Prettymaid
10-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Wow VA! I'm impressed. If you are so inclined, please post some photos. (We've seen your quilts, but that doesn't mean you can't post them again.) :)

I've never got into making stuff, unless you count writing songs and poems, which I haven't done for many years.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-24-2012, 08:55 PM
I've always wanted to be able to speak in rhyme. I'm jealous!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-24-2012, 09:48 PM
awsome Va.
I too am jealous.
I really want to do the quit thing but cant sew.I can needlepoint and crochet..and good at both. About 6 years ago..I started making jewelery..saw earrings and thought I coud do it better and I did.I do all
kinds of jewelery but I love working with wire and metal and natural stones best. I especially like taking old jewelery and redoing it..ya know an old piece that was your mom in laws and you wont wear but cant throw away...well i update and it is fun and cool. Right now we are doing book markers and button pins for the kids and the missions.
i shuda been an art teacher..think I missed my calling but that would be my next life.:thud:

TimothyBFan
10-25-2012, 08:27 AM
Talent? What's talent? :hilarious: I'm pretty much hopeless!!

Brooke
10-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Va and TT, you guys and awesome! I don't know how you find the time and work a job away from home, too!

I'm too lazy to do anything like that. I sometimes think I might want to try something, but find out it takes too much time for me! I used to sew a lot when my daughter was little and made her and me lots of clothes, but it was more out of necessity than fun. I used to patch my husbands work jeans too. (I could have done them like those patched jeans Glenn used to wear! lol) Now I dread getting out the sewing machine to even do a hem!

Tiffanny Twisted
10-25-2012, 05:45 PM
Thanks...it all happened when I went in to a bead store and saw all those beautiful crystals and stones blazing in the sun light....then I was hooked.
LOL:hilarious::hilarious:
I have also spent time on a sat afternoon with other woman with donated componets and made jewelery for woman suffering from cancer. Then the pieces were delivered to woman undergoing treatment at the hospitals. That was the most fun for me to create something that might bring a smile to sick or suffering persons face .

JAhh just shakes his head but I do great unique gifts cause all my stuff is one of a kind not repeated and custom done....dont get me started..I could play all day..clean house what house ..work...what job lol:hilarious:
Now if I could just sew...I really would love to do a quilt of some things I have saved..Like an old shirt that was embrodered with "COokie walks all over me and paw prints" (my late dog). and some other embrodered things I have saved over hte years...thats on lmy wish list to learn how to do ...
but I hate to sew...

zeldabjr
10-25-2012, 07:02 PM
I can crochet a little...I've made baby blankets mostly for my nieces and nephews and their kids....but the last one I tried I couldn't figure out the pattern...I gave up and it's been sitting in the closet for a few years now...

my favorite thing is cross stitching...but I haven't felt like doing it lately...got to be in the mood...

last year I made this pretty pom pom wreath for Christmas ...It's white pom poms and looks pretty on my door 'cause my door is green...that turned out really well and I was thinking of making them for my family for Christmas, but I got really sick of making pom poms so I don't think that's gonna happen...

I tried to needlepoint but couldn't figure it out...and that's been sitting in the closet for a few years now...but I met a neighbor who is really crafty....she paints, does origami, stamping, makes cards, quilts...and does needlepoint...so she is gonna help me...she also makes jewelry...she is going to teach me how to make a bead necklace...

Prettymaid
10-25-2012, 10:00 PM
The jewelry thing kind of appeals to me, but I don't want to invest in all of the stuff.

sodascouts
10-26-2012, 05:44 PM
While I fall into the "non-Crafty" category - pretty much all my creating is done with words or the computer - I'd love to see photos of what you guys are doing!

VAisForEagleLovers
10-26-2012, 05:59 PM
All of the quilts I've done recently I've given away. I'll try to remember to take some pictures while up in PA this weekend. The Christmas decorations will have to wait until after Thanksgiving :) and I'll try to get pictures of some of the other things I still have next week.

Prettymaid
10-26-2012, 07:19 PM
VA, I hope you don't mind...I knew you had posted photos on here somewhere. I'm just moving them here. This quilt is gorgeous!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/quilt/DSC00553.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/quilt/DSC00551.jpg

SallyGee
10-26-2012, 07:44 PM
VA that quilt is beautiful! I want to make a quilt some day. I guess I need a sewing machine first. I used to do crafts a lot when I was younger Before I worked full time. I did crochet, needlepoint, cross-stitch, and painted t-shirts. I've always made a lot of Christmas ornaments which I still do. I lost so many things when my house burned down in 2000. I'll be starting ornaments soon and I'll try to get some pictures on here. I can't wait to see everyone's crafts on here. Things are so special when they're homemade.

10-26-2012, 08:07 PM
I've seen VA's quilt in person and I can vouch that it really is beautiful! :nod:

Prettymaid
10-26-2012, 08:43 PM
VA, why is it called a Log Cabin? And Barn Raising?

Tiffanny Twisted
10-26-2012, 08:49 PM
va they are beautiful.
You have such talent .
Its my dream to do quilting..maybe someday ...soon

I got plenty to do if we lose power...the kids are selling the bookmarkers for 2.oo so I can make more of them .'

EaglesKiwi
10-27-2012, 05:38 AM
Over the years I've done cross stitch & hardanger, which I love, and scrapbooking which I also love but takes up a lot of space, stuff and time. Embroidery is easier to pick up and put down, and I can take a project with me if I go away. I don't spend a lot of time on it now, though.

I can do very basic knitting - I've made a couple of scarves - but I can't crochet.

Hmm, maybe I'll dig a project out tomorrow...

Glennsallnighter
10-29-2012, 07:22 PM
I have done knitting and candlemaking, but not a lot of it since the kids arrived. I am NOT good at art per se, although I DO remember creating a rather OK banner shortly before heading to Niagara Falls :wink:

VAisForEagleLovers
10-29-2012, 07:50 PM
VA, why is it called a Log Cabin? And Barn Raising?

I'm not sure why they are called Log Cabin, but the design dates back to pioneer days and beyond. Log Cabin quilts are always made with strips of fabric sewn together into blocks. There are many different designs, probably hundreds. I always use a variation of the same blocks. Typically, women would gather and make a quilt while the men would get together and build, or raise a barn, which is why one design is names that. Another is Fields and Furrows. Using the same block pattern, you can make quilts that look nothing alike by using different ways of putting them together and different colors of fabrics. In my quilt above, I used a dramatic difference in colors and contrast (light/dark) to get the look I wanted.

I wish I'd remembered to take pictures of the quilt I made my dad, it was Fields and Furrows and looks completely different. Mom's is a Diamond pattern, I think. I really can't remember!

If the power goes out, trying to finish that quilt might be a good way to stay warm!

Prettymaid
10-29-2012, 09:43 PM
Isn't there a pattern called wedding or wedding ring?

Brooke
10-30-2012, 11:30 AM
Yes there is, Pm. My grandmother used to piece lots of quilts and I have several of hers. I don't have a 'wedding ring' one, but I've seen them many times. There are circles that interlock in the pattern. You put pieces together in squares and then when you put the squares together they form a larger pattern.

My grandmother's favorite one to do was called 'drunkards path' and she was a religious woman! I always thought it was funny that she liked it! Another name for it is 'road to california'.

EaglesKiwi
11-03-2012, 06:30 AM
Yes there is, Pm. My grandmother used to piece lots of quilts and I have several of hers. I don't have a 'wedding ring' one, but I've seen them many times. There are circles that interlock in the pattern. You put pieces together in squares and then when you put the squares together they form a larger pattern.

My grandmother's favorite one to do was called 'drunkards path' and she was a religious woman! I always thought it was funny that she liked it! Another name for it is 'road to california'.
I'm guessing this was because the road to California was considered to be the drunkard's path...? :hilarious:
I would love to quilt, but I don't have a sewing machine and don't have the patience to do it all by hand!!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-03-2012, 09:44 AM
QUILTING IS ON MY BUCKET LIST.

I have saved some things that represent thinings i would like in a square.
hoping I can learn to do it.

thats why its on the bucket list before the eyesite goes for good.'

zeldabjr
11-03-2012, 01:55 PM
I'd like to learn to quilt, but I got out my sewing machine last year to sew something...and I couldn't even remember how to thread the darn thing...so I don't know how much hope I have for quilting!...but now that I have a neighbor who does it...I should take advantage of her talent and generosity and learn...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-03-2012, 07:53 PM
yep, I 'd jump on that oppertunity if I had a chance.

still on my bucket list.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-03-2012, 10:09 PM
I'd like to learn to quilt, but I got out my sewing machine last year to sew something...and I couldn't even remember how to thread the darn thing...so I don't know how much hope I have for quilting!...but now that I have a neighbor who does it...I should take advantage of her talent and generosity and learn...

I have an overlock that's difficult to thread...it has a diagram right on it to eliminate confusion (or excuses)!

GlennLover
11-05-2012, 11:52 AM
I have an overlock that's difficult to thread...it has a diagram right on it to eliminate confusion (or excuses)!

I know what it's like. I think the threading is the universal complaint about sergers. :brickwall:

Brooke
11-05-2012, 02:59 PM
Yeah, threading it and threading the bobbin are the hard things for me. I had my old machine (singer) for 30 years and it was a breeze. This new cheap thing is awful and complicated. That's what I get for getting a cheap one, I guess.

zeldabjr
11-06-2012, 11:13 PM
I'm going with my neighbor to her quilting group on Thursday...just going to watch...sort of dipping my toes in the water!

EaglesKiwi
11-07-2012, 04:02 AM
I always loved the idea of a "quilting bee" - since reading the Anne of Green Gables Books!

zeldabjr
11-13-2012, 09:55 PM
I had my first try at beading from my neighbor...wow those beads are tiny!...had to go buy reading glasses to magnify them...but I think I like it...I'm trying to make a necklace...

she didn't go to her quilting class last week so I'll have to tag along another day!

Tiffanny Twisted
11-14-2012, 12:49 PM
watch out brenda...the beading bug will get you

zeldabjr
11-25-2012, 11:33 PM
I started crocheting a scarf today...got a new coat and none of my scarves match...so I'm makin' one that does match!....need to hurry 'cause it's cold out!...if only I knew how to make gloves...hmmm?

zeldabjr
12-08-2012, 10:10 PM
I finished the scarf and I actually finished my first bead necklace!...I was just at my neighbor's apartment...and she taught me how to put the clasp on it...i'm pretty proud of it!....now I'm gonna start a matching bracelet!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-08-2012, 11:37 PM
I finished the scarf and I actually finished my first bead necklace!...I was just at my neighbor's apartment...and she taught me how to put the clasp on it...i'm pretty proud of it!....now I'm gonna start a matching bracelet!

Where's the pic?

Tiffanny Twisted
12-09-2012, 02:05 AM
yeah bj great accomplisment
wheres the pic???

zeldabjr
12-09-2012, 02:46 AM
ok here it is...doesn't show up very well...it's black iridescent beads with silver accent beads!

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/006-2.jpg?t=1355035350

Tiffanny Twisted
12-09-2012, 10:11 AM
very nice...is this seed beading?:yay:

Prettymaid
12-09-2012, 12:00 PM
Very pretty! :applause:

Topkat
12-09-2012, 12:58 PM
Very nice Zelda!~:thumbsup: I have a friend who makes stunning beaded jewelry, mostly with crystals, The stuff is so gorgeous & she sells tons of it! It turned into a real money maker for her...
Maybe you have a new career ahead of you. If not, always nice to make gifts or things for yourself. She read books on it that she took out of the library & learned to do it herself!

EaglesKiwi
12-09-2012, 02:44 PM
Great job, Zelda!

I'm betting that as soon as you start work on the bracelet you'll also start thinking about your next project after that!

SallyGee
12-09-2012, 09:04 PM
Good for you Zelda. Very pretty!

TimothyBFan
12-10-2012, 11:10 AM
I love it Zelda!! I love jewelry and sure wish I had that talent! :thumbsup:

Brooke
12-10-2012, 05:26 PM
Zelda, that is beautiful! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
12-12-2012, 12:05 PM
thanks guys...it took a while to get the hang of it...then it got to be fun...I think I'm hooked!

zeldabjr
08-11-2013, 11:05 AM
this is the baby afghan I just finished crocheting for my friends...the baby's one month old now...so I'm a little behind...oh well....

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/009_zpsd8079689.jpg

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 12:16 PM
Very nice! They'll love it!

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 12:42 PM
Thanks for refreshing this thread Zelda, because I've been meaning to ask you jewelry makers for some advice.

I bought this bracelet a short while ago to honor Hubby's brother, Chuck. It is an ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) bracelet. It has the ALS colored beads and a baseball glove charm to represent Lou Gehrig. The problem is that there is nothing to stop the beads and charm from falling to the underside of the bracelet; therefore when I have it on it looks like a plain wire bracelet. This photo is taken from the underside; that's why it looks okay in the pic.

My question is, is there something I can apply myself to stop the beads from sliding underneath? I thought of clear plastic earring backs, but the wire is too thick and bent (where it closes) to slide anything onto it. Is there something that I can crimp onto both sides of the beads to keep them on top?

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/null-14.jpg

Houston Baby
08-11-2013, 12:51 PM
Z- that is beautiful! What a wonderful gift for their baby! I do not believe there is anything store bought that can beat something that is handmade by a friend or family member.

zeldabjr
08-11-2013, 01:39 PM
thanks HB...I just took it to them and they were pulling their hair out with the baby screaming...oh dear...hope my gift made them feel better!

08-11-2013, 01:41 PM
The afghan is lovely Brenda.

And PM - good luck with solving your bracelet problem. I have no idea how to help you, but I know there are a lot of 'craftier' people than me on the board, so hopefully, some of them will have some ideas for you.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-11-2013, 04:21 PM
Thanks for refreshing this thread Zelda, because I've been meaning to ask you jewelry makers for some advice.

I bought this bracelet a short while ago to honor Hubby's brother, Chuck. It is an ALS (Lou Gehrig's disease) bracelet. It has the ALS colored beads and a baseball glove charm to represent Lou Gehrig. The problem is that there is nothing to stop the beads and charm from falling to the underside of the bracelet; therefore when I have it on it looks like a plain wire bracelet. This photo is taken from the underside; that's why it looks okay in the pic.

My question is, is there something I can apply myself to stop the beads from sliding underneath? I thought of clear plastic earring backs, but the wire is too thick and bent (where it closes) to slide anything onto it. Is there something that I can crimp onto both sides of the beads to keep them on top?

http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/null-14.jpg
my first thought was that you could put "stoppers' on it. Like for a chamila or pandora bracelet.one of each side to keep the beads where they should be on top.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-11-2013, 04:22 PM
BJ a very beautiful blanket made with love is the best gift and that is a beautiful blanket.

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
my first thought was that you could put "stoppers' on it. Like for a chamila or pandora bracelet.one of each side to keep the beads where they should be on top.

But do they have to slide on, or can they be 'crimped' on? I don't think there's any way I can slide anything onto the wire. One end has been bent into a hook and the other has a little ball attached. That's how it closes.

Where can I buy these stoppers?

Glennsallnighter
08-11-2013, 04:32 PM
this is the baby afghan I just finished crocheting for my friends...the baby's one month old now...so I'm a little behind...oh well....

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/009_zpsd8079689.jpg

It's beautiful Zelda and really cosy looking. My Mom made quilts for each of my kids when they were babies and they still use them to this day. A great investment in their pleasure!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-11-2013, 04:39 PM
the stoppers on my bracelet have a hinge on them that you open with your fingernail or a pin. you snap it around your bracelet and lock in in place .and the beads cant slide past the "stopper". so you need one on each side.
they can be plain or decorated with crystals or silver or silver and gold .
the company to goole is "chamilia" thats what i have but pandora is comprable

you cant really fix a bracelet once it is finished with out taking it apart and doing it aall over again.

did you contact the company who made it and tell them your issue and ask them for a solution ?

look up chamilia and go to "locks"
when yuo find what you want, do a search of a store in your area and I suggest you go there to try in on your bracelet to see if it solves your problem before you spend the $$ to buy it. Most stores will let you try it before you buy it.
let me know how you make out

Topkat
08-11-2013, 05:58 PM
BJ, Love the blanket. I'm sure the baby will enjoy it!
What a wonderful gift!

Prettymaid
08-11-2013, 06:09 PM
the stoppers on my bracelet have a hinge on them that you open with your fingernail or a pin. you snap it around your bracelet and lock in in place .and the beads cant slide past the "stopper". so you need one on each side.
they can be plain or decorated with crystals or silver or silver and gold .
the company to goole is "chamilia" thats what i have but pandora is comprable

you cant really fix a bracelet once it is finished with out taking it apart and doing it aall over again.

did you contact the company who made it and tell them your issue and ask them for a solution ?

look up chamilia and go to "locks"
when yuo find what you want, do a search of a store in your area and I suggest you go there to try in on your bracelet to see if it solves your problem before you spend the $$ to buy it. Most stores will let you try it before you buy it.
let me know how you make out

Thanks TT. I bought it off of Etsy, so I don't think a company made it...I will take a look at what you suggested, and yes, if possible, I might contact the maker.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-11-2013, 08:32 PM
pm good luck send me a om with how you make out.

cricrichan
08-13-2013, 05:07 AM
Wow! You have such great talent, guys! I love all of your works ... and Zelda, the blanket you made for the baby is beautiful!!!

I don't know if it could be considered a "talent", but I like drawing japanese comics and cartoons ;) Here are some of my drawings:

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p680/cricrichan76/Facebook/le%20mie%20fan%20arts/2862_1119605040026_8209663_n.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/cricrichan76/media/Facebook/le%20mie%20fan%20arts/2862_1119605040026_8209663_n.jpg.html)

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p680/cricrichan76/Facebook/le%20mie%20fan%20arts/2862_1119605160029_5987879_n.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/cricrichan76/media/Facebook/le%20mie%20fan%20arts/2862_1119605160029_5987879_n.jpg.html)

http://i1345.photobucket.com/albums/p680/cricrichan76/Facebook/scarabocchi%20by%20cricrichan/20635_1308680766801_1477451_n.jpg (http://s1345.photobucket.com/user/cricrichan76/media/Facebook/scarabocchi%20by%20cricrichan/20635_1308680766801_1477451_n.jpg.html)

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 07:40 AM
Wow! Very good CC!

zeldabjr
08-13-2013, 09:34 AM
Cricrichan you draw very well...have you ever tried to draw a pic of Timothy?...would love to see that!!!

Houston Baby
08-13-2013, 12:40 PM
CC - your artistry is definitely a talent! You should be very proud of your drawings - that does take talent! They are great!

Brooke
08-13-2013, 02:06 PM
Zelda, what a beautiful baby blanket! I love it too!

Pm, good luck with fixing your bracelet!

GlennLover
08-13-2013, 09:06 PM
Yes, that certainly is a talent, cc!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-13-2013, 09:39 PM
CC, as someone who can't even draw stick-people, I'm in awe of anyone that can draw anything!

SallyGee
08-13-2013, 09:53 PM
Zelda, the baby blanket is beautiful. Looks so soft and cuddly.
CC, great drawings. It must be awesome to take a blank piece of paper and create something like that. Do you like anime?
PM, have you checked any craft stores in your area? I know craft stores like Michael's have classes and might be able to help you out. It is a very pretty braclet and the meaning behind it makes it very special.

Prettymaid
08-13-2013, 10:06 PM
PM, have you checked any craft stores in your area? I know craft stores like Michael's have classes and might be able to help you out. It is a very pretty braclet and the meaning behind it makes it very special.

Thanks, SG. I'm afraid I've not been very proactive about finding a solution to my bracelet problem. Aside from talking about it with coworkers, friends and here I haven't done anything. The closest craft stores are about 35 miles away. I just haven't gone yet - but I will.

cricrichan
08-14-2013, 06:22 AM
Thank you all, guys! You're always too kind :D

---

Cricrichan you draw very well...have you ever tried to draw a pic of Timothy?...would love to see that!!!

I've never tried, but I've thought about it ... just waiting for the right inspiration ;)

---

CC, great drawings. It must be awesome to take a blank piece of paper and create something like that. Do you like anime?

Oh yes, I do!!! I've been watching anime and reading manga since I was a child and I like so much drawing anime characters^^ SG, do you like anime either?

Brooke
08-14-2013, 10:24 AM
CC, love your drawings!

I can't draw anything either! No talents here! :-(

Victim of Love
08-14-2013, 02:10 PM
I love doing arts & crafts stuff. I have no artistic talents of my own -- can't draw or paint worth a darn -- but I can follow patterns well so I do a lot knitting, crocheting and needlepoint/cross-stitch work. I make baby afghans, sweaters and caps that I donate to the hospital. Some of them get sold in the gift shop and some are given to newborns of low-income families. Gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know they're going to good use.

My current/new project is a cross-stitch portrait of Timothy, thus my recent inquiry about current pictures of him without a microphone! Mom did one that turned out really awesome and it inspired me to give it a try. I know it will be a challenge - and it's going to take a long time - but I know it will be fun. I think of it as my labor-of-love project!

Houston Baby
08-14-2013, 03:15 PM
VOL - we definitely want to see the Timothy cross-stitch when you finish. It does sound like a challange AND a labor of love!

CC - Love your new avatar! Gorgeous!!

zeldabjr
08-14-2013, 07:33 PM
I love doing arts & crafts stuff. I have no artistic talents of my own -- can't draw or paint worth a darn -- but I can follow patterns well so I do a lot knitting, crocheting and needlepoint/cross-stitch work. I make baby afghans, sweaters and caps that I donate to the hospital. Some of them get sold in the gift shop and some are given to newborns of low-income families. Gives me a great deal of satisfaction to know they're going to good use.

My current/new project is a cross-stitch portrait of Timothy, thus my recent inquiry about current pictures of him without a microphone! Mom did one that turned out really awesome and it inspired me to give it a try. I know it will be a challenge - and it's going to take a long time - but I know it will be fun. I think of it as my labor-of-love project!

that is so great VOL...I want to learn to knit...have made a scarf but nothing more...can't imagine making tiny baby sweaters...so great that you donate them...
and the Timothy pic...I had the idea to do the Expando cover in cross stitch...but didn't know how to go about it...can't wait to see your project...Do you have a computer program that does pictures?

08-14-2013, 10:37 PM
cc - I admire your talent and think your drawings are wonderful. I'm another one that can't even draw a good straight line so I'm in awe of those who have artistic talent.

Now Zelda and VOL - I'm thinking y'all should volunteer to crochet or knit (your choice) an Eagles afghan for each Border member. Our resident artists, cc and Troubadour, can draw the patterns for y'all. Great idea, huh! :thumbsup: <ducks and runs>

WalshFan88
08-14-2013, 10:52 PM
CC - Nice art!! Nice av too.

Zelda - Cool!

Unfortunately I'm not very talented when it comes to non-musical art. I really have no clue where to begin. :hilarious:

Brooke
08-15-2013, 09:56 AM
cc - I admire your talent and think your drawings are wonderful. I'm another one that can't even draw a good straight line so I'm in awe of those who have artistic talent.

Now Zelda and VOL - I'm thinking y'all should volunteer to crochet or knit (your choice) an Eagles afghan for each Border member. Our resident artists, cc and Troubadour, can draw the patterns for y'all. Great idea, huh! :thumbsup: <ducks and runs>

I'm thinking this is a fabulous idea! :lol:

VOL, what a nice thing to do for others! :thumbsup:

GlennLover
08-15-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm thinking this is a fabulous idea! :lol:

VOL, what a nice thing to do for others! :thumbsup:

I agree. As Glenn refers to it, a "Hotel California Lap blanket". :hilarious:

Houston Baby
08-15-2013, 01:01 PM
I agree. As Glenn refers to it, a "Hotel California Lap blanket". :hilarious:
I had forgot Glenn had said that. :hilarious: I would think it might be somewhat easy to do the cover of Hotel California in cross stitch or needlepoint. I might have to look into that. I haven't had time to do cross stitch in years but working on something like that would get me motivated again.

Thanks VOL!! You have inspired me to check into this! Now I just hope my cross stitch store is still in business!

Glennsallnighter
08-15-2013, 05:24 PM
Mmmmmmmm. I'd love an 'Allnighter' lap blanket.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-15-2013, 06:27 PM
HB..funny you should say that..I was in a new store to me needlepoint store and they had all kinds of college stuff (villanova xmas ornaments caught my eye cause our son graduated from there and is a "wildcat")
I was tempted to ask about doing a canvas of something Eagles...now I think I will.....
Now wondering if I could do something else...my mind is thinking cant you'all see the smoke coming out of my ears......
border buddy emas ornaments...lol

GlennLover
08-15-2013, 08:06 PM
Mmmmmmmm. I'd love an 'Allnighter' lap blanket.

Oh, so would I! :blush:

SallyGee
08-15-2013, 09:28 PM
I have made a few blankets with cross stich pictures on them. You use the afghan stitch and it makes a perfect background for cross stitch. I made a My Little Pony one for my daughter when she was little and a rocket one for my nephew. Now you have got me thinking.......

cricrichan
08-16-2013, 05:54 AM
Thank you again guys for your kindness :shy: I'm so glad you like my av ;)

---

VOL - Can't wait to see the Timothy cross-stitch!

---

Now Zelda and VOL - I'm thinking y'all should volunteer to crochet or knit (your choice) an Eagles afghan for each Border member. Our resident artists, cc and Troubadour, can draw the patterns for y'all. Great idea, huh! <ducks and runs>

Could be a great project, LOL :thumbsup:

Midnight_Flyer
08-17-2013, 11:34 AM
i love being creative and making stuff, i hope to make something soon to show everyone here :D

Grey Sadler
08-17-2013, 04:42 PM
Did someone say "afghan"?? :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/prov_31_gal/IMG_0079JPG2_zps7020ab24.jpg

Houston Baby
08-17-2013, 05:05 PM
That is BEAUTIFUL GS!!!

Grey Sadler
08-17-2013, 05:26 PM
Thank you!!
My wrist is still feeling it! :nahnah:

Tiffanny Twisted
08-17-2013, 06:41 PM
AMy I love the colors and it is beautiful .
great job.
tt

Prettymaid
08-17-2013, 06:49 PM
GS, that looks really good on the bed!

Victim of Love
08-17-2013, 09:54 PM

You definite ARE a Dreamer! Unfortunately knitting and crocheting don't give the same detail results as needlepoint and cross-stitch. It took Mom two years to complete hers! BUT if I can get it done and it turns out well I'm going to send it to Timothy.

zeldabjr
08-17-2013, 09:59 PM
VOL...will you share which picture of Timothy you decided to do or is it a secret?...would love to see it...

VAisForEagleLovers
08-17-2013, 10:41 PM
Nice, GS!

sodascouts
08-18-2013, 02:28 AM
We obviously have some very talented people here!

Glennsallnighter
08-18-2013, 10:06 AM
Beautiful quilt Amy. I can knit quite well but never got the hang of crochet.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-18-2013, 10:23 AM
ga thats funny
for me its the opposite.
I finally learned to chrochet by watching someonw who was left handed(I am right handed) Thats when it clicked for me and I could do it.

I could knit back when I was 7 but I got frustrated dropping to many stickes.lol

Victim of Love
08-18-2013, 10:33 AM
VOL...will you share which picture of Timothy you decided to do or is it a secret?...would love to see it...

It's the middle pix in your SIG, Zelda.

SallyGee
08-18-2013, 06:31 PM
Very nice GS. I have an afghan I started a while ago but never finished. I only like to crochet in the winter. Too hot to have a blanket on you. If I finish it, I'll post it if I can figure out how to do that. It's the afghan stitch with the cross stitch on it.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-18-2013, 07:21 PM
sg i hear you thought we have had 4 babies born this past year lol

I do work on mine at craft shows when I show my jewlery

Victim of Love
08-21-2013, 09:06 PM
Here is the pattern I'm working with for my needlepoint project -- essentially 9 major sections (with a little bit of overflow). Finished will be 11"x14".

zeldabjr
08-21-2013, 09:18 PM
I'm not seeing anything when I click on the little icon VOL...is it just me?

cricrichan
08-22-2013, 04:47 AM
I can only see the pic in the little icon ... but when I click on it I can't see anything either :shrug:

cricrichan
08-22-2013, 04:51 AM
Did someone say "afghan"?? :D
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v96/prov_31_gal/IMG_0079JPG2_zps7020ab24.jpg

That's beautiful, GS! Great job!!!

Houston Baby
08-22-2013, 10:15 AM
That is so cool VOL! Can't wait to see the finished product!

08-22-2013, 01:10 PM
Wow VOL - I can see it when I click on the thumbnail. That is going to be AWESOME! :thumbsup:

SallyGee
08-22-2013, 05:07 PM
Here is the pattern I'm working with for my needlepoint project -- essentially 9 major sections (with a little bit of overflow). Finished will be 11"x14".

Wow! That will be a real labor of love. Can't wait to see it.

Victim of Love
08-22-2013, 07:08 PM
Sorry some of you are having trouble seeing my pattern. I'll try to move it over and repost. Have just spent 3 1/5 hours organizing all of my floss and supplies. A total of 75 colors, 27 of them various shades of brown for the hair! I'm taking a bit of license with the shirt which (I believe) is black in the original picture. I'm going with a muted green since so many of us seem to love "that green shirt" we see him wearing from time to time in concert.

ktdids
12-10-2013, 01:21 AM
Wow, reading through this thread makes me want to start up with all the crafting stuff seriously again! My interest in one craft or another goes on my mood, and lately it's been all about baking. I made cake balls for a Black Friday potluck at work, where people accused me of getting them addicted to them, and I needed to make more just for them.
I have various knitting, crocheting, crosstitching and jewelry projects left all over the place, taunting me to finish them, and now that I have reading glasses so that I can see what I'm doing, I'm thinking about crosstitching an Eagles logo on a tote bag, just need to decide on which logo to do!