PDA

View Full Version : HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Brooke
10-31-2012, 09:35 AM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN ALL YOU BORDERERS!

MEHHAAAHHAHAHAHAHAHAHHAHAHHHAHH! BOO! :fear:

I know you all are scared! :hilarious:

Soda, your av is just frightening! And I'm loving all the holiday avs! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 11:30 AM
Same to you! I dressed up as a goddess for work.

As for my av - I wouldn't mind if a certain someone wanted a nibble. ;)

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 12:16 PM
Happy Halloween to everyone!

I'm going to go to the store and buy some candy even though I never get any trick or treaters where I live...and I'm also going to make my traditional Halloween meal for tonight...."ghoooouuuuulash"!

do you guys get a lot of trick or treaters at your houses?....curious

oh and fearless leader....the board looks scary good today!

Happy Halloween to everyone!

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 12:17 PM
I live in an apartment complex. The kids would be wasting their time!

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 01:03 PM
a Halloween must see every year for me...

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/djuoczwlwz170x170-75.jpg?t=1350901906

Brooke
10-31-2012, 01:21 PM
I LOVE The Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown too! A must see every year! :thumbsup:

There was mention somewhere on the internet that it might not be a good choice for kids to watch. The characters were too mean! Good grief! :rolleyes:

I want to see The Shining again, but I think I missed it on Dish already. One of my brother-n-laws stayed at that hotel a few years ago! His wife didn't know about it's history until later! :lol:

I watched Mr. Deeds last night with Kevin Chostner. I'd seen it before and it's pretty creepy!

Any others like to watch scary movies for Halloween?

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 01:39 PM
I loved The Shining!...I love scary creepy movies but not blood and guts ones... I like the old Dracula movies and that kind of stuff...

I've never seen Mr. Deeds

this has gone to far...if kids shouldn't watch The Great Pumpkin...good grief is right!

Brooke
10-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Yeah, I don't like the blood and guts movies either. Like the Friday the 13 ones, Halloween, and Scream. Yikes! Now those scare me! :fear:

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 04:23 PM
my cousin put this on Facebook....

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/hallbirth.jpg?t=1351714883

zeldabjr
10-31-2012, 04:33 PM
some people are too much with the animal costumes...but I thought this was adorable!.....

http://i1252.photobucket.com/albums/hh572/zeldabjr/36562_390301484335435_1263142672_n.jpg?t=135171548 8

Freypower
10-31-2012, 05:04 PM
We only had one knock on the door last night. We got off lightly. Perhaps people have finally got the message that Halloween is an American custom, not Australian. I suppose this sounds pompous but it is only in the last few years that it has started to be promoted. I even saw Halloween stuff in England two years ago. I couldn't believe it (though it apparently started in Scotland).

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 05:22 PM
We only had one knock on the door last night. We got off lightly. Perhaps people have finally got the message that Halloween is an American custom, not Australian. I suppose this sounds pompous but it is only in the last few years that it has started to be promoted. I even saw Halloween stuff in England two years ago. I couldn't believe it (though it apparently started in Scotland).

Well, Christmas wasn't invented in Australia, either, yet presumably you have no problem with people celebrating it. ;)

Glennsallnighter
10-31-2012, 05:26 PM
It's an Irish festival too and may have originated here. Tomorrow is November the 1st celebrated as 'All saints Day'. That was the old Celtic festival of remembering the dead called Samhain which ran through November. Anyway Hallowe'en or 'all hallows (saints) eve' was the day prior to 'Samhain'
The idea of dressing up was to disguise yourself from the evil spirits that were allegedly wreaking havoc prior to the assists day. So I think it was originall Celtic and moved with irish and Scottish people when they emigrated

sodascouts
10-31-2012, 05:37 PM
So it's a Anglo custom, not an American one. I'm surprised more Australians don't celebrate it, then, since so many Australians descend from the English and I imagine many of their customs are derived from the English. Am I right, FP?

ETA: I realize the Irish, Scottish, and English are different peoples but I figured this custom spread across the isles.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 05:41 PM
It was an ancient Druid event and I believe the Romans mentioned it in messages delivered back to Rome when they first set foot in England. That was 50 A.D., right? When it was started and where in that area, I don't know. The history I used to have memorized has been replaced by boring things (like computer-related stuff).

Prettymaid
10-31-2012, 07:15 PM
http://i510.photobucket.com/albums/s348/chilca0001/eagles/eagles_7223_i-1.gif

Troubadour
10-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Happy Halloween, everyone!

PM, that pic is great. I love Don's wings. He can pick me up and fly me anywhere, anytime!

Prettymaid
10-31-2012, 07:27 PM
Yep, Don looks sort of Matrix-like there.The wings just add a little pizzazz!

WalshFan88
10-31-2012, 07:54 PM
Happy Halloween everyone!

Freypower
10-31-2012, 09:23 PM
So it's a Anglo custom, not an American one. I'm surprised more Australians don't celebrate it, then, since so many Australians descend from the English and I imagine many of their customs are derived from the English. Am I right, FP?

ETA: I realize the Irish, Scottish, and English are different peoples but I figured this custom spread across the isles.

Australians associate it with America. It was not celebrated for most of my life. My husband is English & it was not celebrated there when he was growing up.

I shouldn't have said anything....

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2012, 10:18 PM
No, I'm glad you did. I had no idea that it wasn't still celebrated there. Here, as with most holidays, it's all about the commercial aspect. Which I guess explains why it has survived here. Oh, and the chocolate...

sodascouts
11-01-2012, 01:09 AM
I had to teach tonight until 10:00pm, but I came in costume! I dressed as Calypso from The Odyssey.

Here's a photo of me with my two good friends Cicely (the Green Latern) and DiAnne (Angela Davis):

https://sphotos-a.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-snc6/270443_4499017480724_1127049718_n.jpg

zeldabjr
11-01-2012, 01:50 AM
love it Soda!...was teaching more fun in costume?

sodascouts
11-01-2012, 01:58 AM
No, not really - but at least I felt like the holiday didn't just pass me by!

TimothyBFan
11-01-2012, 07:07 AM
:thumbsup: Love it Soda!!

Prettymaid
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
Great picture! Glad you posted it!

UK TimFan
11-01-2012, 09:40 AM
We didn't get any callers either. Probably because we don't have any children (living at home). When our two were young (and Halloween just beginning to 'emerge' in general, in England at least) the kids usually only knocked on the doors of friends' houses, or at least the doors in the street where they (the knockers) lived. I can't speak for other countries but many parents in the UK are very safety conscious about the kids and won't usually let them stray far on dark evenings.

It's an Irish festival too and may have originated here. Tomorrow is November the 1st celebrated as 'All saints Day'. That was the old Celtic festival of remembering the dead called Samhain which ran through November. Anyway Hallowe'en or 'all hallows (saints) eve' was the day prior to 'Samhain'
The idea of dressing up was to disguise yourself from the evil spirits that were allegedly wreaking havoc prior to the assists day. So I think it was originall Celtic and moved with irish and Scottish people when they emigrated
I didn't know about the Celtic connection.
Wikipedia agrees that it probably went to America with Irish and Scottish emigrants.

Australians associate it with America. It was not celebrated for most of my life. My husband is English & it was not celebrated there when he was growing up.
I would have said that Halloween wasn't 'celebrated' (I use the term very loosely!) in England until about the last twenty years - and that's only come in through the commercial aspect of it. There are many English people who disagree with the whole 'witches/spooky' aspect of Halloween. (There is a mainly-hidden religious side.) And if you asked most English people I'm sure that they would say Halloween is American in origin.
The majority of the first settlers in Australia were English (as opposed to British which includes the Scots, Irish and Welsh) which is probably why Halloween wasn't celebrated there until fairly recently either.

English people attach far more importance to Bonfire Night on 5th November, when they commemorate the Gunpowder Plot of 1605.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gunpowder_Plot

Glennsallnighter
11-01-2012, 09:41 AM

You should have said it FP. Its discussions and debates like this that make the Border interesting!

I guess there IS a historical basis for Hallowe'en which appears to have originated in Ancient Rome - Possible associated with Christianity? And it then spread across the world.

When I was a kid we used dress up alright but costumes tended to be homemade, though we bought (horrible plastic) masks. Homes did NOT put up decorations but there was always a Halloween supper. Firewoeks became common with bonfires in the mid 80s where I loved.

It was also more common for kids 'trick or treating' to say 'Help the Hallowe'en Party'. And it was more common to get nuts and apples whereas now it all sweets!

Brooke
11-01-2012, 10:45 AM
Thanks for sharing your pic, Soda! Very cute!

I had two trick or treaters, family I had told to come by if they could! We live in the country and our kids are grown with no kids yet, so we don't ever have many. I enjoy them and do some decorating anyway, for me, I guess! Our little town nearby was full of kids going door to door. We had good weather for it too.

I enjoyed reading the history and discussion from you all as well! Thanks!

pueblo47
11-01-2012, 01:14 PM
"I didn't know about the Celtic connection.
Wikipedia agrees that it probably went to America with Irish and Scottish emigrants."

"The majority of the first settlers in Australia were English (as opposed to British which includes the Scots, Irish and Welsh) which is probably why Halloween wasn't celebrated there until fairly recently either."

This is an interesting explanation. Don't know what I thought but never realized the term British also included Scots, Irish, and Welsh. Also makes sense that the Scottish customs would emerge here, especially in the mountain regions where they mostly settled.

UK TimFan
11-01-2012, 02:07 PM
Don't know what I thought but never realized the term British also included Scots, Irish, and Welsh. Also makes sense that the Scottish customs would emerge here, especially in the mountain regions where they mostly settled.
Nationality is, at times, a very sore point in the UK.

The Scots and the Welsh now have their own Parliaments with MPs (Members of Parliament - like your senators) voted for by people living in their constituencies. I think the same applies in Northern Ireland, but I think they've had their local Parliament probably since 1922 when Ireland was split into Northern Ireland, which acknowledges the Queen as head of state, and Southern Ireland (Eire/Republic of Ireland) with its own head of government. See first couple of paragraphs of
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Republic_of_Ireland

Bit about North Ireland government
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Government_of_Northern_Ireland

Meanwhile the only people not to have their own parliament are the English. We're ruled by the House of Commons which consists of MPs from England, Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland.

In sport, Scotland and to a degree Wales, get very upset when someone like Chris Hoy wins a gold medal in the Olympics which is included in the tally for the UK. They think they should compete as separate nations. Commentators add fuel to the fire when they describe Chris as 'British' instead of Scottish.
In the Olympics football, Ryan Giggs who's Welsh, played such a dreadful game that English fans were outraged that such a mardy-bum should have been allowed to play for the British team as there were plenty of Englishmen who would have willingly played for the nation.

Happy families. :)

(And apologies for going slightly :grin: off topic.)

sodascouts
11-01-2012, 03:40 PM
Thanks for the information. I love that we have such an international board.

I learned about the importance of distinguishing among the British nationalities at a young age. I was in Saudi Arabia at an international school, and I was 12. I was doing an oral report on the American revolution and I kept talking about "the English army." A girl in the class, who was Scottish, raised her hand and very adamantly insisted I should have used the term "British." I asked her why, and after she explained, I have always been careful to qualify!

And she celebrated Halloween, BTW. ;)

Glennsallnighter
11-02-2012, 09:17 PM
"I didn't know about the Celtic connection.
Wikipedia agrees that it probably went to America with Irish and Scottish emigrants."

This is an interesting explanation. Don't know what I thought but never realized the term British also included Scots, Irish, and Welsh. Also makes sense that the Scottish customs would emerge here, especially in the mountain regions where they mostly settled.

The Irish would have been British subjects at the time that Australia (and the USA) was colonised, and many of the Irish who eventually settled in Australia ahd their origin as convicts who had committed crimes against the British establishment. Often those crimes would have been revolution based!

Like UKTF said, Nationality can be a sore point here too! While I would have family and friends in all parts of the UK, and really don't feel any animousity towards England in any way, there are many irish people who would not share my benign views! Call Ireland part of the 'British Isles' (Yes, I know they are called that in an atlas) and you could be in for trouble! Suggest to an Irish person that they could in some way be 'British' and the guns will be out!

Brooke
10-31-2013, 04:43 PM
Just reviving this thread to wish everyone a

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

Hope you all have a ghoulish time!

A little treat from me:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Eagles/e7dfa7dc-a620-4b82-8b27-403c1503693c_zpsbe68124b.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Eagles/e7dfa7dc-a620-4b82-8b27-403c1503693c_zpsbe68124b.jpg.html)

Not really very good, but I'm learning! :lol:

TakeMeToTheLimit
10-31-2013, 05:55 PM

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

A little treat from me:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Eagles/e7dfa7dc-a620-4b82-8b27-403c1503693c_zpsbe68124b.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Eagles/e7dfa7dc-a620-4b82-8b27-403c1503693c_zpsbe68124b.jpg.html)

Not really very good, but I'm learning! :lol: nothing wrong with that ! :)

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2013, 06:38 PM
Happy Halloween, everyone!! I'm getting ready for all the trick or treaters now. Probably won't have many, it's raining hard and very windy.

Outlawman13
10-31-2013, 06:52 PM
Have a spooky Halloween!!!! LOL my favvie day of the year. I love scaring people. LOL. Here are two of my favvie ghouls all in one (Scream ghoul and Freddy Kruger):
And yes this is me
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500/crocs327/scaryhalloween.jpg

SoaringRockyMountainWay
10-31-2013, 08:50 PM
I was Joe Walsh for Halloween tonight. I had a lot of fun making his Les Paul. I got a ton of extra candy too because everyone loved my Joe Walsh costume. I'll be on a sugar high for a while. Hehehe:guitar:

Tiffanny Twisted
10-31-2013, 08:58 PM
happy Halloween everyone.
we got thirty kids

VAisForEagleLovers
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
happy Halloween everyone.
we got thirty kids

I got three!! I ought to keep the candy instead of taking it all to work. Since the weather's so bad, maybe they'll try again tomorrow evening. A lot of communities postponed trick or treating until tomorrow anyway, due to the forecast.

sodascouts
10-31-2013, 10:14 PM
I dressed in my Star Trek uniform today and got a lot of compliments. In another pleasant surprise, one of my students dressed as ME! Seriously! Can you believe it? lol!

Happy Halloween, everyone!

Glennsallnighter
11-01-2013, 07:41 AM
Brilliant Soda! I love it.

Laura dressed as a witch. She wanted to go out as one of HER teachers but I thought it would backfire on her. She's at that awkward age. A bit old to 'trick or treat' but too young for the 'adult' and older teen fancy dress parties.

Chris went as a knight. We made a shield for him out of a cardboard pizza tray covered in foil. I'll try to get a few pics.

Hope everybody had a great Halloween.

Brooke
11-01-2013, 09:17 AM
Have a spooky Halloween!!!! LOL my favvie day of the year. I love scaring people. LOL. Here are two of my favvie ghouls all in one (Scream ghoul and Freddy Kruger):
And yes this is me
http://i1160.photobucket.com/albums/q500/crocs327/scaryhalloween.jpg

Fabulous, Om! Love it!

We went in to our little town to help the dnl with the trick or treaters because we don't have any anymore since our families kids have gotten too big and we are out in the country. It was fun seeing all the costumes! The Duck Dynasty characters were pretty popular! And it quit raining a couple hours before time and was a pretty good evening after all. We had about 50.

Soda, would love to see your costume! Too funny about your student!

Houston Baby
11-01-2013, 10:18 AM
That is too funny Soda about your student! Any photos?

Lisa
11-01-2013, 08:50 PM
Happy Halloween!

sodascouts
11-01-2013, 09:01 PM
I asked her if I could post her photo and she consented, BUT I'm still a little nervous about posting a photo of a student on the board, frankly. I will, however, post a photo of my costume (sorry for the poor quality - I took it with my phone at 5:00 am):

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/nancystartrekcostume.jpg

Freypower
11-01-2013, 09:14 PM
Very nice. I asked Rosalind to look at it; she's a big Star Trek fan.

EagleLady
11-01-2013, 09:55 PM
Nice Soda!

MaryCalifornia
11-01-2013, 10:15 PM

HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

A little treat from me:

Not really very good, but I'm learning! :lol:

Ha ha this is great, Brooke. Does Timothy get the sombrero because of his Latino heritage, or just because it looks cool on him? Soda, you looked great! I think it's so cute your student dressed up like you!!

sodascouts
11-01-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks!

And Brooke, you did a great job photoshopping the Eagles like that! OM, I like yours too!

Houston Baby
11-02-2013, 03:47 PM
Love your outfit Soda, so cute!

Brooke
11-02-2013, 04:06 PM
Very cute, Soda! Thanks for sharing it with us!

Lisa
11-03-2013, 03:20 PM
The costume sounds wonderful, but I only can see a little "x" in a box, instead of a picture. I think it's my too-old flash player.

Brooke
10-31-2014, 01:21 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO ALL YOU BORDERERS!

Hope you all have a frightfully fun time today and tonight! Be safe! :fear:

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Family/Greetings/prettyblackcat_zps422e430e.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Family/Greetings/prettyblackcat_zps422e430e.jpg.html)

Lisa
10-31-2014, 04:15 PM
Happy Halloween!

Zanny Kingston
10-31-2014, 06:10 PM
Happy Halloween Everyone!

Its about 6pm my time and I am waiting for the trick or treaters to start showing up at our house!

Islander canuck
10-31-2014, 06:16 PM
Happy Halloween everyone!

sodascouts
10-31-2014, 07:54 PM
I dressed up as Counselor Troi from Star Trek: The Next Generation this year!

sodascouts
10-31-2014, 10:04 PM
Found this photoshopped picture on Tumblr (http://llittledreameer.tumblr.com/):

https://31.media.tumblr.com/e8304ab04675bf8ea1e731b39c56246e/tumblr_nec1g2OXOD1rzknswo1_1280.jpg

DJ
10-31-2014, 11:20 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN BORDER!

Nice pictures everyone!!

https://encrypted-tbn2.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSI1croS3ssVtd-5hIYaGEYdXbEPvzEEpLaPic1XOeLzfbXf8VIww (http://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&frm=1&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0CAcQjRw&url=http%3A%2F%2Fvi.sualize.us%2Fan_apple_a_day_pu mpkin_carrousel_halloween_jack-o-lantern_picture_gY1P.html&ei=f1FUVK37Bob9iAKRv4CoDQ&bvm=bv.78677474,d.cGE&psig=AFQjCNGSUWiv1shACKyd0bitymsWtLdBMg&ust=1414898353042559)

WalshFan88
10-31-2014, 11:22 PM
Happy Halloween!

Brooke
11-03-2014, 03:40 PM
Found this photoshopped picture on Tumblr (http://llittledreameer.tumblr.com/):

https://31.media.tumblr.com/e8304ab04675bf8ea1e731b39c56246e/tumblr_nec1g2OXOD1rzknswo1_1280.jpg

Love it!

Here's my little Kermit the Frog and his mommy-Miss Piggy!

http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Family/DSCN0798_zpsb1a5fa6c.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Family/DSCN0798_zpsb1a5fa6c.jpg.html)

He wasn't quite sure what to thing about his mommy! That was her voice, but it didn't look like her! At least he didn't cry!

Houston Baby
11-05-2014, 02:56 PM
Awww, he is adorable Brooke! So cute! And what a fun idea for a mom & son - Kermit & Miss Piggy. Love it!

sodascouts
11-08-2014, 09:32 PM
Too cute!!!

Glennsallnighter
11-11-2014, 07:04 PM
How cute are Kermit and Mis Piggy. Brilliant pic brooke, I'd say that will be a family favourite in years to come.

Brooke
11-12-2014, 01:17 PM
Lol, yes, I bet it will be! :lol: Thanks all!

Brooke
10-30-2015, 04:21 PM
It's that time of year again! I don't usually make it in here on the weekends, so......

HAPPY HALLOWEEN TO EACH OF YOU!

There's a jack-o-lantern moon in the midnight sky
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/pump2-20.gif (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/pump2-20.gif.html)

But down in the graveyard on that old tombstone
There's a big black crow and it's callin' you home
http://i3.photobucket.com/albums/y63/desperado74/Extras/pumpkinblackcrow_zps16ff6383.jpg (http://s3.photobucket.com/user/desperado74/media/Extras/pumpkinblackcrow_zps16ff6383.jpg.html)

Here's hoping you all have a fun and safe Halloween! We are going to our son's house in our tiny town to watch the tricksters come by and see our grandson in his costume. If they can get him to put it on! lol We live a couple miles out in the country, so we don't get many, if any, tricksters.

Trick or Treat!

sodascouts
10-31-2015, 11:23 AM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN!

AlreadyGone95
10-31-2015, 12:07 PM
Happy Halloween

I love Halloween and this time of year. I'm not doing anything myself, except watching movies (Psycho, The Birds, Nightmare on Elm Street, Dracula etc). Even though I live in town, my family has never had any trick or treaters. Most kids go to parties or to a fall festival.

L101
10-31-2015, 03:53 PM
http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/halloween/flying-bat.gif (http://www.sherv.net/) Happy Halloween !! http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/halloween/flying-bat.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

http://www.sherv.net/cm/emoticons/halloween/trick-or-treater.gif (http://www.sherv.net/)

NOLA
10-31-2015, 04:20 PM
Happy Halloween, 2015!!!

This is my first Halloween in coastal North Carolina, and I'm hoping to get some trick-or-treaters tonight. It's so quiet here, compared to New Orleans and the Krewe of Boo parade and festival. Halloween is a really big deal there, and I used to get hundreds of kids passing by my house. When I ran out of candy, I started giving out $1 worth of quarters. Needless to say, a lot of kids made repeat visits! :laugh:

Anyway, I hope everyone has a happy and safe Halloween, 2015! :)

DJ
10-31-2015, 10:18 PM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE. I HOPE YOU ALL HAVE A GREAT DAY. BOOOOOOOOOO! :lightsaber:

bluefeather
11-01-2015, 08:54 AM
HAPPY HALLOWEEN EVERYONE!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-01-2015, 01:53 PM
Hope everyone that celebrates had a fun and spooky Halloween!