PDA

View Full Version : Hurricane Sandy

Henley Honey
11-05-2012, 07:43 PM
Here's a few pictures I took when I was in Breezy Point.

I took these two from my cousin Maggie's back deck. Her house was spared by the fire but was damaged by flood water.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h439/joanie142/Breezy%20Point/Breezy5-1.jpg

This is the area where the 110 houses burned to the ground. FDNY trucks could not get through the massive flooding. I think it's a miracle no one died.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h439/joanie142/Breezy%20Point/Breezy3.jpg

This is looking in the back door of my mother's house. Her tile is light beige under all that muck. Main floor is a total loss. Still waiting on verdict of structural viability. We found her bedroom furniture in the living room.
http://i1109.photobucket.com/albums/h439/joanie142/Breezy%20Point/Breezy1.jpg

The house is still standing so we feel very fortunate. It'll be a long time until the communitity is habitable again.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-05-2012, 07:52 PM
Wow... I helped clean houses after the last flood in Johnstown, PA and thought that was bad. I guess it's the difference between rising water and storm surge. Things weren't really out of place, just muddy and oily. The pictures of the fire area are very sobering...

zeldabjr
11-05-2012, 08:04 PM
WOW...I can't imagine where you even begin at your mom's house Joanie...How is your mom doing?...please tell your whole family I am thinking of them and praying for them in their recovery...so glad no one was physically hurt...

Henley Honey
11-05-2012, 08:14 PM
WOW...I can't imagine where you even begin at your mom's house Joanie...How is your mom doing?...please tell your whole family I am thinking of them and praying for them in their recovery...so glad no one was physically hurt...

You start with a haz-mat suit, a sledgehammer and a great big dumpster. Anything that was in contact with the flood water has to go. Wood and tile floors, kitchen cabinets, doors, windows, appliances, heating and cooling system, etc. We'll have to take the main floor down to the studs and work our way out. Singularly, it's very doable. But when you look at the community as a whole it seems insurmountable right now. 2,800 homes and lives changed in a day -- and that's only this small community. It's the same story all along the Jersey coast, Staten Island, Long Island, etc. It's a freakin mess.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-05-2012, 08:22 PM
OMG JOanie,
I am so sorry for all you are dealing with at this time.
The pictures are very sobering as VA said and when you think about that this is times thousands in just a small area is is just numbing.
Prayers still for you and your family. Please keep us posted.
tt

Freypower
11-05-2012, 08:35 PM
Good grief Joanie. I sympathise with your family & everyone else affected by this. :worried:

Topkat
11-05-2012, 08:47 PM
Wow. That area was hit the hardest, & mostly by that fire. It looks like a war zone. Joanie, I'm so sorry for your mom & the condition of the house. How is she holding up? We are all thinking of you & your family at this time.

sodascouts
11-05-2012, 09:34 PM
Oh man. How terrible!

Prettymaid
11-05-2012, 10:43 PM
And I complain when I have to do regular house cleaning! :shock:

Ive always been a dreamer
11-05-2012, 11:19 PM
OMG Joanie - I literally had tears running down my face as I looked at the devastation in those pictures. It will undoubably take a long time to rebuild, but I know the human spirit will prevail and all will eventually be well again. My thoughts are with you and everyone affected by this awful storm.

Brooke
11-06-2012, 10:45 AM
OMG, HH! Those pics are just devestating. I'm so sorry for all of you out there in that awful mess. Thoughts and prayers sent.

In the pic of your Mom's house, was it flooded? The cream chairs don't look hurt at all nor the oak stairs. But the floor, yuck! Amazing!

Glennsallnighter
11-06-2012, 11:33 AM
HH, thanks for taking the time out to update us on the awful havoc that has been wrecked on your Mothers home. I too cried some tears for your whole family and I hope that you will all gather the strength you need in order to eventually overcome it. We are all thinking of and praying for your family and all the victims that have sustained both loss of life and material loss as a result of this dreadful hurricane.

Your Mum has one little piece of good fortune, in that she has a loving and caring family to help her through this. I hope that eventually you will be able to restore her place at least in some part to what it was.

Hugs and prayters to you all!

11-07-2012, 09:59 PM
Just thought I'd let everyone know that I've been emailing eaglesvet and she and her family are fine. Part of their fence got destroyed in the hurricane, but, fortunately, that was the extent of their damage. However, they still have not had their power restored, and, of course, it's very cold up there. She was happy though because she was able to get gas today without waiting in a very long line, but not looking forward to the Noreaster that's come in.

This is the last thing that the folks in N.J. and N.Y. need right now. Really does make you wonder at the powers that be, doesn't it?

zeldabjr
11-08-2012, 05:50 PM
Glad to hear Eaglesvet is ok...hopefully still is after the Noreaster!

SallyGee
11-08-2012, 08:46 PM
We finally went back To work today. Computers are still messed up, but it felt good to do something normal. One of our buildings was flooded with 7 feet of water. They will not be open for a while. Several of our co-workers lost their homes and belongings. Everyone is concerned about finding places to live. Most are staying with family, but some are spread out. My friend is staying with her aunt while her daughter is staying with her grandmother. I think they will all feel better when they have their own places and can be together. So many thousands of people need homes. I have heard from two people that FEMA was very helpful. They expected a long wait and a lot of red tape but were pleasantly surprised. They said it was only about a half hour, and they had money in their accounts the next morning. So many people complain when the government messes up, I just wanted to say good job. Still seeing a lot of RedCross trucks around and out of state police and power companies. I saw a power worker from Alabama in the drug store yesterday and was happy I could say thank you to him. So many people coming to help.

11-08-2012, 10:30 PM
SG - good to hear from you again and so glad things are gradually getting restored to some sense of normalcy ... hope things continue to get better for everyone. And I know exact how you feel about thanking the folks that come from different parts of the country to help. The last couple of times we've been hit by hurricanes, it was heartwarming to see how folks pull together during tough times. I tried to make sure I thanked every worker I saw, but especially the ones from outside our state who were willing to be away from home for weeks to help us out.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-08-2012, 11:38 PM
salygee

hang in there.
I am praying for you and your family and friends
tt

Brooke
11-09-2012, 10:50 AM
SG, glad to hear things are getting better.

Prettymaid
11-09-2012, 09:56 PM
Dreamer, thanks for telling us about Eaglesvet. I miss her here and am grateful she only lost part of a fence.

SG, I can tell that you were getting a little stir crazy not being able to go to work. Glad there's that sense of normalcy for you now.

Topkat
11-10-2012, 08:48 PM
It's hard to believe but there are still people without power on Long Island & in Conn. This is over 12 days now.That is really a long time to have no power.
It's been warmer today & tomorrow it may go to 60 degrees, so these people won't be freezing tonight, but it's still way too long.
Also there is still a gas shortage, with gas rationing on odd & even days. This is 2012, & this should not be going on this long. Hard to believe that our country in these times don't have the resources to get this fixed by now.

Henley Honey
11-11-2012, 08:40 PM
I'm back . . . . . Again.
Geez. It's like I can't win. I get electric and heat back after 7 days and then I lose internet and phones. Then a NorEaster hits and we get 7" of snow.
Again, I really shoudn't complain. I've got so much to be thankful for.
I just spent another day in Breezy Point and OMG it's a horror show. It's like watching the walking wounded that have no where to go. There's no water, no electric and what looks like no hope in anyone's eyes. 2800 hundred homes and minimally 10,000 people displaced -- But then there are the volunteers. It was so very humbling. People from all across the Country. I've met people from Texas -- Dallas, specifically, Missouri, Arkansas, California -- and on and on and on. Students from Loyola and 20 other Universities, Marines, National Guard Members -- literally overwhelming support and love. These people are in the trenches -- carrying the debris of what is left to the "community pile". It's overwhelming.

And then there are the Firemen. They are everywhere you look-- all on their own time and dime. Hundreds of them -- literally. Thank God they're there to help. It seems insurmountable, but then you look at the FDNY response and presence and you think -- It's gonna be OK. Those men are AWESOME. They are single minded in that they won't stop -- they will not stop -- till the job is done. I'm so thankful that they are on my team. They blew through ripping out the guts of three of my relatives homes, then were going on to some 9/11 Widows homes who were left relatively homeless. Enough said -- they are hard-ass heroes. They have my never ending, heartfelt gratitude. THOSE BOYS ROCK!!!

zeldabjr
11-11-2012, 09:16 PM
so glad you're back...It is amazing to think of ordinary people from all over the country coming to help total strangers...it's the best of this country...and we all know how awesome the firefighters are...they really are heroes!...wish I could do something more to help...

Prettymaid
11-11-2012, 09:39 PM
Thanks for keeping us posted HH. I don't feel as removed from it all with you and others here to relate firsthand what it's like. Thank God that people pull together and help each other in times like this.

sodascouts
11-12-2012, 10:42 AM
Agreed. Thanks for keeping us updated on the aftermath. More power to those wonderful volunteers!

Brooke
11-12-2012, 11:15 AM
Glad you're back HH, and thanks for keeping us up to date on what is happening. Thank God for all the wonderful volunteers that are out there helping!

SallyGee
11-12-2012, 08:46 PM
I found out yesterday that Project Paul, our church's organization that helps the needy was also flooded in the storm. They lost everything including the food pantry. So many people depend on them and Thanksgiving is next week. There's always a food collection this time of year for holiday baskets, but this year they need everything as do so many others. People have been so good donating to so many organizations for the storm, but Project Paul helps people on a regular bases. I hope people will remember them this year.
On a happier note, 2 friends from work found apartments. Another friend came back to work today. It was good to see her. She said she feels like this is all a dream. I think God does that to help you handle things like this. I remember feeling the same way when our house burned down.

11-12-2012, 10:27 PM
Joanie and Karen - Thanks again for your updates and, most of all, thanks to all of the amazing volunteers who are willing to sacrifice so much to help those in need. As has been said, this is America at it's best. :grouphug: Keep hanging in there - rebuilding may take a long time, but rebuild you will ... and you'll be stronger and better than before.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-13-2012, 07:03 PM
joanie and sg
so glad to hear from you both.
three cheers for the volunteers who are heros
PRAYERS AND LOVE TO YOU BOTH

Henley Honey
11-14-2012, 01:35 PM
Here's a video of Breezy that'll give you an ideal of the devastation.
These people are determined and I know we will rebuild.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1hCQh1UZkq0

zeldabjr
11-14-2012, 01:48 PM
wow...HH...very powerful video...so glad the people there are strong and determined...they(you) will make it happen!...still sending prayers...

Tiffanny Twisted
11-14-2012, 03:32 PM
all i can saw is OMG
prayers to all

eaglesvet
12-13-2012, 10:28 AM
HI everyone,
I know that Dreamer updated y'all, but I know that I should at least check in. I was stirred on by the 12/12/12 concert last night, which I still have yet to finish watching on DVR. What a emotional night, between the artists' efforts and the videos that were shown of the storm and its after-effects. I had already posted in that thread how surreal it was to live through that storm without power for 10 days, listening to either a battery-powered transistor radio or the car radio about the destruction along the shore, but not ever actually seeing the images on TV that the rest of the country was seeing...until last night. How very sad for those millions of people along the tri-state area coast.

My home is in north-central NJ, so we had to deal mainly with many trees taking power lines down with them as they fell. Some neighborhoods in my area were without power for 2 wks, and there are huge tree trunks still lining the sides of the roads, waiting to be picked up. School was out for 10 days, which was no fun for the kids with no power and nothing open to go to. Thankfully, our house still had hot water and a gas stove, as well as a wood-burning pizza oven that we would sit near every night playing board games around. It would throw off literally 600 degrees of heat, but only far enough to heat the dining room and kitchen. The upstairs bedrooms would get to the low-to-mid-50's without any heat, so we just layered the blankets so it was like a lead weight getting in, and it was bearable. Each one of us got to be experts in lighting a fire and tending it as needed–- based on whether we would be home, or at work (brought kids as needed), or the library where they actually had a generator and acted as a warming/charging station. In terms of food, it was cold enough outside (mid-30's to 50's) that we could keep a few perishables in a cooler on the back steps...once the grocery stores opened back up again. It was just like camping!:wink:

We were lucky in that only one 8 ft x 8 ft fence panel blew down. Nothing at all in terms of property damage, compared to others.

The coolest thing was how my 2 sons (13 and 16 yrs old) had to wean off the electronics (unless at the libe). They looked forward to 10 nights of board games! The version of Trivial Pursuit that I have is literally the original first edition––what my older son Ethan wound up calling the "pre-Cold War edition.":hilarious: So many of the questions were about the Nixon presidency and the Beatles (and even about movies from the 40's and 50's that my hubby and I had no clue about), that my sons were both complaining furiously about it all throughout the first night of play. Of course, there are enough standard science and sports questions, that Ethan ended up winning that night...and then asked to play it the next few nights in a row! (And, he kept winning, too!) I finally got so sick of it, we had to dig up some other standards, just to keep from getting into a rut.

Anyway, the I can't imagine what the NJ shore will look like next summer without as much help as possible...so if it it's at all in the cards for any of you to make a donation to the Sandy Relief Fund, please do so!:angel:

Brooke
12-13-2012, 11:01 AM
Ev, glad to hear you made it through it all ok without too many scars! That's pretty cool about your kids and the techno deprivation! I'm sure it was rough on them for a day or two! Too funny! It's also very cool that your family got together and made the best of it. You will remember playing those games together for many years! And of course everything else. Memories!

Henley Honey
12-13-2012, 08:16 PM
I'm so glad you checked in EV. We've been missing you here! Don't be a stranger!!! It sounds like you have two great kids. I'm sure they had their moments -- as we all did -- during the time the electricity was out but you seemed to have made the best of a bad situation. Maybe a few low-tech gifts for Christmas are called for to keep them in the "swing".

How did your practice fare? I'm fostering my sister's two yorkies until she can return hom (go to the Petmania thread) so I may call on you for some long-distance advice. They are N E E D Y little things.

Glad you're OK!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
12-13-2012, 09:32 PM
EV, glad to hear from you, glad it wasn't too bad for you!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-13-2012, 11:57 PM
ev...
glad you are well.

recomendation, just bought the beatles editon of scrabble at barnes and noble. You can play regscrabbles or follow directions for the beatles editon part. sounded intresting so I bought it.
my son will be home tomorrow so I'll let you know how it is when we open it.
glad all is well as I said.
trivaial persuit is my generation...lol

tt

eaglesvet
12-14-2012, 03:11 AM
I'm so glad you checked in EV. We've been missing you here! Don't be a stranger!!! It sounds like you have two great kids. I'm sure they had their moments -- as we all did -- during the time the electricity was out but you seemed to have made the best of a bad situation. Maybe a few low-tech gifts for Christmas are called for to keep them in the "swing".

How did your practice fare? I'm fostering my sister's two yorkies until she can return hom (go to the Petmania thread) so I may call on you for some long-distance advice. They are N E E D Y little things.

Glad you're OK!!!
The town where my practice is, Madison, only lost power for a little over 48 hours. We had so many new clients from other towns coming in with their sick pets, and thanking us endlessly for being open. It was a nice change for me to drive into a town where the businesses had lights on, and where I could use the Internet! One day, I created my own "take your son to work day." My high-schooler said he learned more that day than he ever expected, although I don't think he's become an aspiring veterinarian...

I may check out the Petmania thread another time, but if it's something pressing, PM me.

TimothyBFan
12-14-2012, 09:22 AM
So good to hear from you, Eva!! Glad you are all safe. You definitely were on my mind along with our other Border members that we knew were in harm's way. Glad to see something good came out of this, the boys realized there is life without electronics and the old time board games can be fun. :hilarious:

sodascouts
12-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Thank you for checking in, Eva. It sounds like your family certainly made the best of a horrible situation. So glad you were spared major damages!

12-15-2012, 04:42 PM
Good to hear from you, Eva and glad you all survived the storm without much damage. Also, glad your clinic was able to care for pets from other areas during the crisis. I think it's great that your family had the opportunity to play some board games. I'm a bit 'old school' about this and have played board games with all the young ones in my family for years. I am grateful that whenever they come over my house, they actually ask to play these. I think they are a great way to bond with them and also teaches them how to follow rules and accept how to lose graciously. :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-03-2013, 08:55 PM
I guess because the Outer Banks of North Carolina are always getting blasted by storms, these things never make the news. I have some cousins that live on Hatteras Island (where the Cape Hatteras Light is) and today was the first they've gotten off the island since before the storm hit (it hit there a day or so earlier than further north). The road (RT 12) just north of Rodanthe/Mirlo Beach got totally washed out during Hurricane Irene last year, to the extent that a new inlet was basically made from the ocean to the sound. NCDOT put in a temporary road/bridge and it got washed out during Sandy. This past week was the first road traffic has been allowed through, many parts of the island were 4x4 only until recently. So, they were trapped there and missed Christmas and Thanksgiving with their families in the NYC area.

lizzyplays
01-03-2013, 10:08 PM
HOw horrible for them but how wonderful that they are finally off!! I can only imagine their gratitude and elation. Will still keep them in thoughts and prayers as well as the other people affected by this massive storm and it's aftermath.

01-03-2013, 11:55 PM
OMG - that is amazing. That story has been totally overlooked. I used to go down to Hatteras Island a lot so I'm pretty sure I know where you are talking about, VA. That must have been quite an ordeal for them to go through down there.

Brooke
01-04-2013, 10:56 AM
My goodness! I'm so sorry for them! And thankful they have finally been taken care of! Good grief!

Glennsallnighter
01-04-2013, 10:02 PM
My Goodness VA! It shows that we as a race are still completely at the nmercy of the elements despite all the progress we seem to have made. I'm sure your cousins are finally glad to be off the island. I hope they can have a Bumper Thanksgiving/Christmas celebration now. I'm glad too that they are all ok.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2013, 12:14 AM
Ha, they went to a mall for a day! She said the kids and grandkids are back at work and school, so they'll go up for spring break and see them.

Henley Honey
01-06-2013, 12:43 AM
Just putting my two cents in here. There are tens of thousands of people still displaced and or homeless as a result of this storm. It is overwhelming and will continue to be for months and months and months. VA, I'm very happy to hear they made it through the storm, but would my first choice be a mall?? Ummm probably not. How about an Eagles concert?

As a small footnote, nine weeks after the storm, Breezy Point is still uninhabitable as are so many, many homes all along the Eastern seaboard. If you have a comfy bed tonight and if you don't have to worry about how to keep your children warm and fed, then send up a little prayer please!!!

And, yeah -- I am still fostering my sister's two "precious" little doggies -- poke out my good eye. They are a constant "JOY".

Tiffanny Twisted
01-06-2013, 11:41 AM
HH you have a good heart.
to take such good care of your sisters babies is awsome.
glad they are doing well.

Henley Honey
01-07-2013, 09:31 PM
As if these displaced families haven't been through enough, now their houses are being burglarized!! My sister's and my 94-year-old aunt's houses were broken into over the weekend and my mother's neighbor's house as well.

Fortunately, they removed most of their salvageable possessions and all their valuables to their temporary housing locations, but this is very upsetting. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. I hope that the Universe gives these low-life, rat bas^ar#s a hard and swift karmic kick in the a$$.

The sad part is that -- knowing how isolated and off the beaten path Breezy really is -- it was most likely an "inside job". Sick.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-07-2013, 10:18 PM
As if these displaced families haven't been through enough, now their houses are being burglarized!! My sister's and my 94-year-old aunt's houses were broken into over the weekend and my mother's neighbor's house as well.

Fortunately, they removed most of their salvageable possessions and all their valuables to their temporary housing locations, but this is very upsetting. Talk about kicking someone when they are down. I hope that the Universe gives these low-life, rat bas^ar#s a hard and swift karmic kick in the a$$.

The sad part is that -- knowing how isolated and off the beaten path Breezy really is -- it was most likely an "inside job". Sick.

Joanie,
So sorry for your troubles. It hurts my heart
tt

VAisForEagleLovers
01-07-2013, 10:35 PM

This is very disheartening. Still, I've lived long enough to know that what comes around goes around. We might not see it, but it'll happen.

01-07-2013, 11:13 PM
Yep - That is truly sad that there are people out there that would do this kind of thing. But, sad as it is, unfortunately, it's not too surprising.

sodascouts
01-08-2013, 03:57 AM
Appalling!

Topkat
01-08-2013, 09:38 AM
It's disgusting, but you hear this all the time. Low life's take advantage in times of disaster. Just as bad are the people who price gouge the people who need construction work done & other help. There are always people who zoom in & take advantage of these situations. Only hope that one day karma comes back to them. It's a bit*h...May they get what's coming to them!:-x

lizzyplays
01-08-2013, 07:34 PM

That's deplorable! It takes a special kind of sick person to do something like that.

I'm sorry this happened to your family members HH, as if things weren't awful enough. Still keeping them all in my thoughts and prayers.

Glennsallnighter
01-14-2013, 07:23 PM

That is just so sick HH. Makes my stomach turn. How people can loot after such an awful catastrophe, and to their own too is despicable.
I will keep all of the displaced people from this hurricane and all disasters in my prayers. It is so true what you say. We all take things like food and heat and shelter for granted, and yet there are so many people who are denied it, both temporarily and permanently.

VAisForEagleLovers
10-29-2014, 08:14 PM
So.... two years ago today is when Sandy hit. Today's my mother's birthday and so that's what made me remember. I remember it being a really foul night even in VA. Two years and while some areas have rebounded, others have yet to recover, especially economically. I remember my cousins being stuck on Hatteras Island in NC until after Thanksgiving, and even now, there was so much damage to the roads, even the smallest of storms wash out the roads there. NJ, and especially Atlantic City are still recovering, and was the hardest hit economically. Breezy Point, NY and the Rockaway area are still recovering. It just amazes me sometimes, the unforeseen havoc that Mother Nature can wreak, and the long term effects that can ripple for years.

Roey
11-02-2014, 03:26 PM
The rebuilding of our Sandy demolished family summer home on LBI down the Jersey Shore should be done by early 2015. We are very lucky that it is a summer home, we have family friends still waiting to get back into their primary home. Our sacrifice of missing 2 summers of time with my large family (22 of us plus 4 dogs!) pales in comparison to the loss suffered by many, not just Sandy but Katrina, Wilma, earthquakes, tidal waves and now lava flows in Hawaii . As VA said, the power of nature is unbelievable. I have to say we experienced the best in human nature in the days following Sandy.