PDA

View Full Version : "Analog Man" Survivor

Pages : [1] 2

sodascouts
11-13-2012, 09:02 PM
Time for Analog Man Survivor, where we vote off songs from Analog Man until we get to the last one standing!

If you're new, for a basic overview of the game, see this post: Survivor Overview (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=6551&postcount=7)

I'm going to list the songs from Analog Man here. Vote for the song that you feel should be eliminated from the list. The song that gets the most votes will be taken off of the list (or, in the language of Survivor, "Voted off of the island.") Each round, one more song will get axed, until there's only one left. Remember: you're voting for the song you want taken off, not the song you want to stay.

Note: Do not criticize how/why other people vote. Their reasons are their own and they are free to vote however they like. Also, never attack a fellow poster. You can disagree about a certain song without making it personal. Sometimes these games can get heated, but remember.. it's still just a game.

Each round will last 48 hours after posting to give people a chance to vote who don't post every day. That means that the first round will be over at 8:00 Eastern time the day after tomorrow. Any votes cast on or after 8:00 Eastern the second day will not be counted. If you're going to wait 'til the last minute, be sure you leave yourself enough time to hit "submit"!

If you miss a round, don't think you can't play. It's all good!

Since there may be discussion posts, be sure to make it clear when you are casting your vote. Votes cannot be changed once you have voted, even if you make a mistake - so be sure you get it right the first time!

If you get confused about what round we are in, look at this post. I'll always update it to reflect the current round. Also feel free to post any questions if you don't understand what's going on.

If there is a tiebreaker, then ALL votes from ALL previous rounds are tallied and whoever has the most prior votes is eliminated. That’s the way it’s done on the real show, that’s the way it’s done here. If there is a complete tie with prior votes (Murphy’s Law), then I'll have a sudden-death trivia question ready. The first person who answers it correctly gets to break the tie. The odds of that happening are slim, but you never know, and it's good to be prepared.

The tie-breaker question will be asked one hour after results are in, if there is need for it. The exception is the last round. If the tie-breaker does not resolve the last round, then the tie will be allowed to stand.

============================

And the winner is....

ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29
Band Played On 12/1
Analog Man 12/3
Lucky That Way 12/5
Wrecking Ball 12/7

If you don't have it, you can get it from Joe's official store (http://joewalsh.com/store) and online retailers like Amazon (http://www.amazon.com/Analog-Man-Combo-Deluxe-Edition/dp/B007KCG7MQ/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1343803866&sr=8-1&keywords=joe%2Bwalsh%2Banalog%2Bman) and iTunes - or you can try your local CD store!

GAME OVER

Prettymaid
11-13-2012, 09:26 PM
The first song I'm going to vote for is But I Try.

I actually like the song; however I feel that it's about three minutes too long. They were jamming, so I guess they just wanted to keep on playing. If Joe were featured more in this song maybe I could have moved it up on the list. But there's only a relatively short guitar solo, otherwise it just feels like a Little Richard song that Joe is playing on.

After waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for this album, I was very disappointed that Joe included it, instead of filling the album with something newer and fresher. But, it is the bonus track, so I guess I should back off a little.

Freypower
11-13-2012, 09:42 PM
The first song I'm going to vote for is But I Try.

I actually like the song; however I feel that it's about three minutes too long. They were jamming, so I guess they just wanted to keep on playing. If Joe were featured more in this song maybe I could have moved it up on the list. But there's only a relatively short guitar solo, otherwise it just feels like a Little Richard song that Joe is playing on.

After waiting (and waiting, and waiting) for this album, I was very disappointed that Joe included it, instead of filling the album with something newer and fresher. But, it is the bonus track, so I guess I should back off a little.

I completely agree.

I said I wasn't going to make many comments during this game. I would only add, I'm afraid, that not only do I think it should not have been included, I don't like it. We waited for so long for a new Joe album and we get a James Gang jam from the early 70s on which Joe doesn't even sing lead.

Frank Zappa used to do this type of material all the time, but when he did it, he made it interesting. To me this track has nothing to recommend it. I vote for But I Try.

sodascouts
11-13-2012, 10:10 PM
At first I thought India, but PM's reasoning changed my mind.

I cast my vote for But I Try.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-13-2012, 10:27 PM
Well - Already I'm going to step in and try to defend the inclusion of But I Try on this album. I know Joe doesn't have a major role in the song, but I don't think that mattered to him. I believe it was included more as a tip of the hat to some of his old analog friends. I agree that the song is a bit long and repetitious, but I still really like it a lot - it rocks and the energy and fun that they were having while jamming really shines through. I also don't think the song was included just as filler. Joe already had 11 other tracks, so he didn't necessarily need another one. Now, if he had included 2 or 3 tracks like this, I would have a problem with that. But since it only 1 song included as a bonus track, and it rocks so much, I'm totally okay with it. :thumbsup: And last of all, it doesn't stick out like a sore thumb, but instead flows well with the other songs on the album.

Prettymaid
11-13-2012, 10:49 PM
At first I thought India, but PM's reasoning changed my mind.

Wow. That may be a first!

Prettymaid
11-13-2012, 10:54 PM
Dreamer, I really like the song too. I almost wish it hadn't been included in the game, because since Joe isn't showcased in it, I'm voting it off before others I don't like as much.

WalshFan88
11-14-2012, 08:51 AM
But I Try

timfan
11-14-2012, 09:46 AM
But I Try

TimothyBFan
11-14-2012, 10:05 AM
This is the last song on my list also so I have no problem going with the crowd on this one.

I vote for But I Try

Tiffanny Twisted
11-14-2012, 11:27 AM
me too but i try

Topkat
11-14-2012, 11:50 AM
Well already looks like a landslide, but that isn't my pick.
My vote goes to FISHBONE

Prettymaid
11-14-2012, 12:25 PM
Just curious - are folk voting for BIT doing it because you don't like the song, or because of the reasons I gave?

WalshFan88
11-14-2012, 12:51 PM
Just curious - are folk voting for BIT doing it because you don't like the song, or because of the reasons I gave?

Mainly your reason... But the song in itself is too repetitive for me anyway.

Brooke
11-14-2012, 04:01 PM
My first thought was Fishbone, but Pm's reasoning made me change my mind too.

I vote for But I Try.

Freypower
11-14-2012, 04:39 PM

For your reasons and because, as I said, I don't like the song. :worried:

timfan
11-14-2012, 05:47 PM
I actually do like the the song but it's not one of my absolute fav's so since Joe isn't singing lead I figured it made sense that it'd be the first to go.

GlennLover
11-14-2012, 06:49 PM
Since "But I Try" is going down, I'll cast my vote for my next least favourite Fishbone.

AzEaglesFan
11-15-2012, 01:23 AM
I vote for Fishbone

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 12:08 PM
PM, it was for your reasons that I voted for "But I Try." Also, since Joe's not even singing lead on it, I see no reason to keep it past the first round.

TimothyBFan
11-15-2012, 01:49 PM
PM---I just really don't care for it BUT you made a very good point!!

And, oh crap, I really like Fishbone!! :hilarious:

zeldabjr
11-15-2012, 07:10 PM
I vote for Fishbone

sodascouts
11-15-2012, 07:14 PM
"Fishbone" cracks me up! "India" however has little to recommend it. It sounds like it belongs in a techno club as filler music. I'm voting for that one next, provided this round gets rid of "But I Try."

11-15-2012, 08:46 PM
Well - It looks like there's no saving But I Try, so I'm going to go with strategy ...

I cast my vote for Analog Man.

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 08:48 PM
"Fishbone" cracks me up! "India" however has little to recommend it. It sounds like it belongs in a techno club as filler music. I'm voting for that one next, provided this round gets rid of "But I Try."

I'm with ya, sista! ;-)

11-15-2012, 09:09 PM
The first song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is But I Try. “But I Try”, I know you think you tried, but the tribe isn't buying it. Your stay is short lived, and you must go. Now, please try to leave the island immediately.

Votes
But I Try – 8
Fishbone – 4
Analog Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
But I Try – Prettymaid
But I Try – Freypower
But I Try – sodascouts
But I Try – WalshFan88
But I Try – timfan
But I Try – TimothyBFan
But I Try – Tiffanny Twisted
But I Try – Brooke
Fishbone – Topkat
Fishbone – GlennLover
Fishbone – AzEaglesFan
Fishbone – zeldabjr
Analog Man – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Spanish Dancer
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time
Hi-Roller Baby
Funk 50
India
Fishbone

Voting for Round Two begins now.

Prettymaid
11-15-2012, 10:51 PM
The next song I'd like to see leave the island is India.

Here is what Joe says about it in the footnotes.

INDIA

I love house / trance / remix / DJ / electronica music.
All of it. There is a lot of very talented people out there
making this music. Two things: 1 – Marjorie and I spent
time in India and came back profoundly affected. Our
perception of the planet and the big picture was forever
changed. While we were there I heard some electronica
performed live in Mumbai at the Blue Frog and the
seed was planted for this song. 2 – My friend and
manager, Irving Azoff, requested/demanded a guitar
instrumental on the album. So this song is for India
and for Irving too.

I wonder if Irving was as disappointed as I was.

Freypower
11-15-2012, 11:12 PM
I'm starting to like it more than I did but there isn't much that says 'India' to me. However I'm not ready for it to go yet. There were votes for Fishbone in the previous round & I am happy to vote for that.

timfan
11-15-2012, 11:19 PM
India is definately my next song to go! It's a song I skip every time.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-16-2012, 07:27 AM
india

Topkat
11-16-2012, 07:42 AM
Voting again for

FISHBONE

WalshFan88
11-16-2012, 07:44 AM
India

As cheesy as "Fishbone" may be, I quite like it - it makes me laugh. I like songs that make me laugh. India, on the other hand, I can't skip fast enough. Sorry Joe. :( It's one of the two songs I skip (the other being Hi Roller Baby but we'll get to that in another round). I could think of many better instrumentals to put on there. How about Personal Manager Blues (his live intro to Funk #49) without the words or some blues rock solos or something. Something that would showcase his great playing and soloing. When I think of Joe and his guitar playing, oriental/foreign music isn't something that comes to mind. :lol:

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 08:36 AM
Next on my list is also India. Fishbone is awesome. It's a typical Joe fun song and I think it rocks!!!

So for everyone who wants to save Fishbone (it looks like it will be in trouble early) please vote for India!

I vote for India

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 08:50 AM
Oooh, Willie rockin' the coalition! ;-)

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 10:42 AM
Feeling adventurous this morning and thought I'd try it!!

sodascouts
11-16-2012, 10:45 AM
I'm down with it!

I cast my vote for India.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 10:53 AM
:yay::yay: It's working, it's working! :yay:

Brooke
11-16-2012, 11:24 AM
Sorry, no can do! I just can't go for Fishbone, even if it is funny, I can't listen to it.

I vote for Fishbone.

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 11:29 AM
I thought Fishbone would be lower on my list, but after listening to and actually rating these songs, I find there are songs which are more deserving to leave the island than Fishbone, IMO. I hope I get to state my cases.

Topkat
11-16-2012, 03:57 PM
You may save Fishbone this round, but that song will not be hanging around for long!

WalshFan88
11-16-2012, 07:34 PM
You may save Fishbone this round, but that song will not be hanging around for long!

Probably not (and rightly so), but I still think it's much better than India.

sodascouts
11-16-2012, 07:46 PM
Agreed!

GlennLover
11-16-2012, 08:34 PM
Sorry guys, but I cast my vote for Fishbone. :fear: :wink: I just don't like it.

AzEaglesFan
11-17-2012, 02:02 AM
I vote for Fishbone. Still don't like the song.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2012, 02:28 PM
fishbone

timfan
11-17-2012, 04:34 PM
WOAH! If I calculated correctly India and Fishbone are currently tied at 6 each. I echo TBF post earlier and encourage anyone who has yet to vote to join the coalition and save Fishbone by voting for India!!

11-17-2012, 07:33 PM
Actually the round isn't tied. Tiffanny Twisted voted twice in this round - first for India and then for Fishbone so only her vote for India counts. However, if the round ends in a tie, Fishbone will be eliminated since it received votes in the previous round. I figure that one of these songs will go this round and the other will probably go next round. Since I'm not overly invested with the order in which they are voted out, I think I'll stay clear of casting what could be a deciding vote. I'm gonna just vote strategically again ...

zeldabjr
11-17-2012, 08:17 PM
I'm going for Fishbone again!...just don't like it!...I love India

sodascouts
11-17-2012, 09:01 PM
It came down to a tiebreaker, but the second song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Fishbone. “Fishbone” - bad luck! The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Fishbone – 6
India - 6
Analog Man – 1

Tiebreaker (Previous Votes)
Fishbone - 4
India - 0

Vote Breakdown
Fishbone - Freypower
Fishbone – Topkat
Fishbone - Brooke
Fishbone – GlennLover
Fishbone – AzEaglesFan
Fishbone – zeldabjr
India - Prettymaid
India - timfan
India - Tiffanny Twisted
India - WalshFan88
India - TimothyBFan
India - sodascouts

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Spanish Dancer
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time
Hi-Roller Baby
Funk 50
India

Voting for Round Three begins now!

sodascouts
11-17-2012, 09:03 PM
OK, I'm not even going to wait one more minute before casting my vote!

I cast my vote for India.

It's far inferior to everything else on there, IMHO. Let's just say this type of music is not Joe's forte. It needs to go!

timfan
11-17-2012, 09:05 PM
I'm with you Soda. I cast my vote for India

WalshFan88
11-17-2012, 09:23 PM
India

AzEaglesFan
11-18-2012, 02:49 AM
I vote for Hi-Roller Baby.

GlennLover
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
I agree with everything Soda said so I cast my vote for India as well.

Topkat
11-18-2012, 03:24 PM
Voting this round for Spanish Dancer, not one of my favorites!

Freypower
11-18-2012, 05:27 PM
I will go with India although I'm sure I will get to like it more in time.

TimothyBFan
11-18-2012, 07:53 PM
I vote for India

(btw--- glad to see my coalition ALMOST worked) :hilarious:

Tiffanny Twisted
11-18-2012, 09:04 PM
JMO I like India...its a catchy jam and I find my self hearing it over and over again in my head.
I also really like theBAND PLAYED ON...another great song with good guitar and drum parts.It tells a story and i just like it.

I love the words to FAMILY a little slow but after I saw the u tube video that a fan did and he posted...well I just find it touching .

I like WRECKING BALL much better than analog man.

I vote for SPANISH DANCER...my least fave on the cd

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 10:19 PM
That one is next on my hit list... but "India" needs to go first. It's completely generic. You could hear it in any club and never know Joe Walsh had anything to do with it. Nothing sets it apart from any of the 3 billion other techno mixes getting played over those loud speakers.

Prettymaid
11-19-2012, 08:52 AM
I guess we should show some respect to Joe that he and Marjorie had a life changing trip to India, and that he was blown away by this kind of music while he was there...but bottom line- I just don't like it, and to think that Joe was honoring Irving's request to put a guitar instrumental on the album is just sad.

I vote for India.

Prettymaid
11-19-2012, 08:55 AM
That one is next on my hit list...but "India" needs to go first.

Sounds like we're working off the same list. ;-)

TimothyBFan
11-19-2012, 09:39 AM
Sounds like we're working off the same list. ;-)

Me too. Spanish Dancer is next.

sodascouts
11-19-2012, 11:36 AM
to think that Joe was honoring Irving's request to put a guitar instrumental on the album is just sad

At least he didn't call it "Theme from Indian Wierdos."

I wonder if Joe resented Azoff's "request" and was trying to punish him with "India"?

WalshFan88
11-19-2012, 01:44 PM
I agree that India is not "Joe" at all, and is very weird. Spanish Dancer is my next choice, as well.

Brooke
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
My vote is for India too.

zeldabjr
11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
I vote for Spanish Dancer

11-19-2012, 08:56 PM
At least he didn't call it "Theme from Indian Wierdos."

Oh that is too funny. He should have totally named it that! :nod:

I wonder if Joe resented Azoff's "request" and was trying to punish him with "India"?

Awww - I bet Joe was happy to oblige Irvin's request and I'm guessing that they probably both like the song.

Now for my vote. I would have voted for India this time if it had needed my vote, but since it doesn't, I'll stick with my strategic vote ...

sodascouts
11-19-2012, 09:12 PM
The third song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is India. “India” - techno-trance yourself outta here! The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
India - 8
Spanish Dancer -3
Hi-Roller Baby -1
Analog Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
India - sodascouts
India - timfan
India - WalshFan88
India - GlennLover
India - Freypower
India - TimothyBFan
India - Prettymaid
India - Brooke
Spanish Dancer - Topkat
Spanish Dancer - Tiffanny Twisted
Spanish Dancer - zeldabjr
Hi-Roller Baby - AzEaglesFan

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Spanish Dancer
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time
Hi-Roller Baby
Funk 50

Voting for Round Four begins now!

WalshFan88
11-19-2012, 10:01 PM
Spanish Dancer

Freypower
11-19-2012, 10:38 PM
I was very disappointed in Spanish Dancer & so I'll vote for it.

AzEaglesFan
11-19-2012, 11:28 PM
I'll go with Spanish Dancer

Prettymaid
11-20-2012, 12:39 AM
I will gladly join the coalition and vote for Spanish Dancer.

Does anyone want to talk about the song? Why is the weird guitar interlude included? I think it sounds like he stuck part of another song in the middle of this one.

Koala
11-20-2012, 12:46 AM
damn, I missed the first rounds, I cast my vote for Spanish Dancer

sodascouts
11-20-2012, 03:23 AM
I cast my vote for Spanish Dancer as well.

It's supposed to come across as sexy but Joe's voice doesn't convey that at all. Contrast this song with "Slow Dancing" where Joe's vocal is smoldering. He just doesn't seem to be feelin' it and neither am I.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-20-2012, 07:48 AM
i'll try again
spanish dancer
has to go .....just a strange song

Topkat
11-20-2012, 09:15 AM
Spanish Dancer

TimothyBFan
11-20-2012, 09:32 AM
The first time I listened to Analog Man, I cringed when I first heard Spanish Dancer. Even tho it's grown on me a bit since then, it is definitely far from my favorite one on the album.

I vote for Spanish Dancer

timfan
11-20-2012, 10:29 AM
Looks like Spanish Dancer is pretty well a goner so I'll vote for Funk 50. It's lovely guitar work but I'm not overly keen on the lyrics or the way Joe sings this one.

Freypower
11-20-2012, 04:33 PM
I will gladly join the coalition and vote for Spanish Dancer.

Does anyone want to talk about the song? Why is the weird guitar interlude included? I think it sounds like he stuck part of another song in the middle of this one.

That is what I think. There is virtually nothing 'Spanish' about it.

11-21-2012, 07:20 PM
Spanish Dancer is okay, but I don't think it fits thematically with the rest of the album. I'll repeat what I said about the song when I wrote my review of the album. I’m not fond of the melody and Joe’s vocals in this one, and the rock music is disjointed with the very pretty Latino music. Most of Jeff Lynne’s contributions on this album are very commendable, but this idea was not one of those times. But once again, I love the lyrics – very mysterious and romantic. I would definitely vote to eliminate it this round, by since it doesn't need my vote, them I'm going to stick with strategy ...

11-21-2012, 09:10 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Spanish Dancer. “Spanish Dancer”, You may have been measuring chances of winning this game, but the tribe has spoken. You didn’t have everyone under your spell or own every heart in the room. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Spanish Dancer – 9
Funk 50 – 1
Analog Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Spanish Dancer – WalshFan88
Spanish Dancer – Freypower
Spanish Dancer – AzEaglesFan
Spanish Dancer – Prettymaid
Spanish Dancer – Koala
Spanish Dancer – sodascouts'
Spanish Dancer – Tiffanny Twisted
Spanish Dancer – Topkat
Spanish Dancer – TimothyBFan
Funk 50 – timfan

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time
Hi-Roller Baby
Funk 50

11-21-2012, 09:11 PM
Important Note:

We are going to temporarily suspend play of our game for the Thanksgiving Holidays observed in the U.S. Please do not cast any votes during the break. Play will resume on Friday, 11/23 at 8:00 p.m. EST. We will make an announcement at that time to begin the voting for Round 5.

HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO ALL!!!

11-23-2012, 09:00 PM
Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and welcome back to the game.

Voting for Round Five begins now.

Freypower
11-23-2012, 09:45 PM
Funk 50

Tiffanny Twisted
11-24-2012, 01:03 AM
HI ROLLER BABY

sodascouts
11-24-2012, 01:22 AM
I cast my vote for Family.

I understand that the song is meant to be positive, but every time I hear "I've finally found a wife and a home and a family that matters" I cringe. Why didn't someone clue him in to how horrible that sounds, considering he has children from his previous marriages??

Tiffanny Twisted
11-24-2012, 01:30 AM
SODA ...APPARENTLY ...WHEN YOU ARENT SOBER THOSE THINGS MENTIONED IN THE SONG FAMILY DONT MEAN A THING .
like he might have had it but didnt know what it was or apprecite it cuase he was in his addiction and now he has learend how to do it all over again with out the vodca.
Its sad but true and I think it reprensents how he feels in this song, very true and simpe lyrics jmo

sodascouts
11-24-2012, 01:39 AM
No need to shout, TT (using all caps = shouting online).

If Joe means that he was too drunk to appreciate his family in the past, he sure phrased it pretty clumsily because he doesn't say "I've finally realized family matters." Instead, it's "I've finally found a family that matters." He doesn't say HE'S changed. He says it's the family that's changed.

sodascouts
11-24-2012, 01:44 AM
For the curious, below are the lyrics - to me the emphasis seems to be that the people around him have changed, and that the happiness he describes in the song is a result of having new and improved friends/wife/family, not a result of getting sober.

=======================

I've been alone most of my life
I've never known what it was like
To end up somewhere and not have to pack
To be among friends I know have my back

But now I'm here where I belong
I've finally found a wife and a home
And a family that matters, means more to me
Than anything I have ever believed

And when we are gathered together
Tell me how blessed can somebody be

Give thanks, break bread, say grace, bow heads
For all of this love that surrounds me
We laugh, we cry, stand together that's why
It's all being part of a family

Tried it before, never felt right
I never dreamed that someday I might
Be part of something bigger than me
It makes me feel humble, finally I see

All that we have is each other
And that's all that I'll ever need

Give thanks, take time to say that I'm
So grateful for all that surrounds me
We laugh, we cry, stand together that's why
It's all being part of a family

zeldabjr
11-24-2012, 01:45 AM
I vote for Funk 50

Topkat
11-24-2012, 02:49 AM

I understand that the song is meant to be positive, but every time I hear "I've finally found a wife and a home and a family that matters" I cringe. Why didn't someone clue him in to how horrible that sounds, considering he has children from his previous marriages??

Soda, I agree with you on this one...How many ex- wives & children does Joe
have??? The song makes all those relationships seem like they meant nothing to him & that really bothers me!

My vote goes to
FAMILY

sodascouts
11-24-2012, 04:13 AM
He has four ex-wives and three living children from past marriages.

His fourth wife Denise, the one he has two teenaged sons with, married him in the nineties after he got sober. Thus, it makes no sense to argue that he didn't consider Denise and his two sons a "family that matters" due to his drinking since he had given up the bottle at that point. Heck, I heard he met her in rehab.

If that family didn't matter, it wasn't because he was living in an alcoholic daze. It was for other reasons, and we can look to the song lyrics to see some of those reasons. According to the song, he feels his other families didn't "have [his] back" or "stand together" with him like his new family does, for instance; his current family is the first to do so. You can give him honesty points but a lot of dads with new wives and stepkids would hesitate before making those kind of comparisons out loud.

I'm sure he loves his kids from former marriages and his stepkids equally and didn't mean the lyrics to come across that way, but since they do IMO, I can't really enjoy the song. It's also harsh on the former wives but I understand how he could say he never found true love until his current wife. A lot of guys say stuff like that about ex-wives, just not about the rest of the fam.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-24-2012, 09:33 AM
sorry nancy wasnt meaning to "SHOUT"

Just a bad typist and blind as a bat:-(

GlennLover
11-24-2012, 10:56 AM
I vote Funk 50. I never have cared for Funk 49 either.

AzEaglesFan
11-24-2012, 02:12 PM
I vote for Hi Roller Baby

As far as Family, I agree that when I first heard it, I was upset to think that Joe would dismiss his ex-wives and children in such a mean way.
BUT, Joe did not write the song alone, it was co written by Tommy Lee James. Makes me wonder how much of the song is Joe's thoughts and how much is Tommy's. I do think the song could have used a lot of editing

WalshFan88
11-24-2012, 02:28 PM
Hi Roller Baby

Can't stand that song. The rest of the songs I DO like and will have a much harder time voting after HRB goes.

sodascouts
11-24-2012, 03:43 PM
I really like Hi Roller Baby! It's fun, peppy, and catchy. In fact, thanks to this game, it's been stuck in my head all day. Multiple times I have found myself humming the chorus. I think I'm starting to annoy my family, lol.

WalshFan88
11-24-2012, 04:35 PM
It's just too "pop" to me. Like he's trying to compete with Justin Bieber or something. :lol: It doesn't seem very Joe-like. Same with India. The funny good song on this album is "Fishbone" - which is classic Joe. Once I know what kind of music an artist does, I don't care for them to stray far from it. I like consistency.

I like "Family" but I guess I can see what everyone is saying. That said, perhaps his past marriages weren't so good to him. I'm not saying he's a saint but I'm sure they weren't either. Either way, Family seems heartfelt to me, even if that line is tacky.

11-25-2012, 02:22 AM
I have to say that I love the song Family and have a totally different interpretation than some others when I hear the song. I think that the song is a very heartfelt celebration of Joe’s newfound ability to love and appreciate his family now. It wasn't that he didn't love his family before - it's just that he was incapable of feeling connected to them in his altered state of his mind.

I believe when he talks about his family now, he is definitely including his three children. I don’t see anywhere in the song that says Joe is blaming his past families for the problems. In fact, that is diametrically opposed to what addicts are taught in therapy. Taking responsibility and not blaming others is part of healing process they undergo. To me, the song is a revelation that he is finally free of his past problems. These are the lyrics that say to me that he is the one that has changed …

“I never dreamed that someday I might
Be part of something bigger than me
It makes me feel humble, finally I see.”

I see this song as just an extension of the recovery process that Joe describes in One Day at a Time where he starts off recalling his party days. In the second verse, he begins to take the first step when he says “I finally got around to admit that I might have a problem.” Then, the last verse evolves to “I finally had to admit that I was the problem when I used to put the blame on everybody's shoulders but mine.”

Anyway, even though I like them both, I like Funk 50 a little better than Hi-Roller Baby. However, I will vote for either of them to save Family.

Topkat
11-25-2012, 10:27 AM
I vote for Hi Roller Baby

As far as Family, I agree that when I first heard it, I was upset to think that Joe would dismiss his ex-wives and children in such a mean way.
BUT, Joe did not write the song alone, it was co written by Tommy Lee James. Makes me wonder how much of the song is Joe's thoughts and how much is Tommy's. I do think the song could have used a lot of editing

As for Tommy Lee James writing on this song, I don't think Joe would be singing words like this, if they came from someone else. Maybe he helped in writing the music, but I believe the words are Joe's; it's much too personal. Maybe he didn't mean for this to sound mean, or dismissing his former wives & children, but that is what he's saying here. I don't think there is any other way to interpret it.:scowl:

Tiffanny Twisted
11-25-2012, 11:40 AM
dreamer i like your post about family:thumbsup: well put

sodascouts
11-25-2012, 11:51 AM
It wasn't that he didn't love his family before - it's just that he was incapable of feeling connected to them in his altered state of his mind .

How was his state of mind altered when he was with Denise? Why weren't they "a family that mattered" if this song is about his alcoholism making him unable to appreciate family, since he was sober then?

I think you're absolutely right that Joe is saying he was unable to connect with his families in the past, but we can't blame the alcoholism past 1995.

I definitely like your interp better in that it makes Joe look better, but I just can't jive it with the lyrics and the timeline of his life. I wish I could. Then I could enjoy the song instead of being saddened by it.

The best I can make out of the part you quoted is that his new marriage has made him able to be more loving in general, but I can't leap any farther than that. However, I do like the "more loving" angle so I'll take what I can get!

Don't get me wrong - I'm sure he loves his kids very much - it's just this song doesn't express that very well to everyone.

The cowrite aspect is a good point, though. Unfortunately, since Joe is singing it, many people will assume the words are from him. Like I said, I wish someone had pointed out to him how those lyrics would come across to many people (although obviously not everyone).

I am not eager to dig into Joe's relationship problems with his families in the past but he took us there with this song. He has every right to do so but personally,I didn't enjoy the trip. That's why I'm voting it off.

Prettymaid
11-25-2012, 01:27 PM
Thank goodness! I thought I had missed a round!

Family is not a big favorite of mine, but not because of the lyrics. I just don't like the syrupy sweetness of it. I realize Pretty Maids is not on Analog Man, but I enjoy it much more than Family. As for the Family lyrics discussion, I am not bothered by them. I guess I think of it like Dreamer does, and also I think he's just saying that he's never had a family as tight as the one he has now, including extended family Ringo and Barbara. But enough about Family, because I'm not ready to vote it off yet.

My next vote goes to a song that seems very dated, like something Frankie Valli would have done in the sixties. Not only that, I don't like the tune or the lyrics either. Every time I hear it I want to yell, "Come on Joe, you can do better!"

I vote for High Roller Baby

11-25-2012, 01:30 PM
As for Tommy Lee James writing on this song, I don't think Joe would be singing words like this, if they came from someone else. Maybe he helped in writing the music, but I believe the words are Joe's; it's much too personal.

I agree with you about this.

Maybe he didn't mean for this to sound mean, or dismissing his former wives & children, but that is what he's saying here. I don't think there is any other way to interpret it.

But, girl, you really do need to open up your mind if you believe there is only one possible interpretation to any song written by members of this band.

Soda – my answer to your post is that when an addict takes that last drink or snorts that last line, it is just the beginning of the recovery process. The basis of their therapy is that they have to heal mind, body, and soul. Stopping the drug begins to heal their body, but, it takes a lot longer, often times years, to heal the mind and soul. Joe has remarked many times that he had to relearn how to do so many things after he stopped drinking. My guess is that one of the many things he had to relearn was how to foster relationships with people he loved. These things don’t happen overnight. To me, Joe’s ability to write these songs says that he is finally completely healed.

Topkat
11-25-2012, 01:48 PM
Quote from Dreamer

But, girl, you really do need to open up your mind if you believe there is only one possible interpretation to any song written by members of this band

My mind is open to interpretations of songs by ANYONE, but this song is cut & dry. When you say "a family that matters" what other interpretation could there be?? Those words are clear as day.
Just because someone doesn't see things your way, doesn't make it wrong!

On a personal note, when you quote me, please don't bold face things that I have not boldfaced. That is maybe what YOU want to emphasize, but not what I was doing in my post.
I get that that is the part of the quote that you are replying to, but you are putting emphasis on things that I wasn't & therefore changing the meaning of the original post.

11-25-2012, 02:19 PM
My mind is open to interpretations of songs by ANYONE, but this song is cut & dry. When you say "a family that matters" what other interpretation could there be?? Those words are clear as day.

I'm sorry but I don't think someone's mind is open to interpretation if they say something is "cut & dry". I never said and definitely do not believe someone has to see things my way to be right. I believe that there are other possible valid interpretations. If I didn't, that would make me close-minded.

timfan
11-25-2012, 02:29 PM

On a personal note, when you quote me, please don't bold face things that I have not boldfaced. That is maybe what YOU want to emphasize, but not what I was doing in my post.
I get that that is the part of the quote that you are replying to, but you are putting emphasis on things that I wasn't & therefore changing the meaning of the original post.

TK: You say your mind is open to interpretations of songs but then state there is no interpretation of the song "Family". How does that work? IMO no song is that simple, there can always be other views or ways to see it. Myself, as a child of divorce and mixed families I see Joe could be speaking of his family in a broader sense than just his current marriage.. it does not neccasarily mean he is disregarding his children or earlier life.. JMO of course :)

In terms of your request that parts of your post not be bolded; that is often done in a reply if there is a specific section of the post that the replier wishes to address that cannot be sensibly quoted in itself. The original post is not altered in anyway. Hope that explains it for you.

Now back to voting... the song Family is one of favs so.. I will stick with my earlier vote and vote for Funk 50 for the reasons I stated last round

Tiffanny Twisted
11-25-2012, 05:02 PM
wow one song has opened up such a can of worms.
Isnt it funny, we all interpert things in such a vastly different way.and we borderers are pasitionate people
JMO--
I really like the song. I think it is implying to appreciate your family..what ever form you have. simple as that....I dont get that he is slighting any children from other unions jmo
JAHH"S brothers have childeren with different wifes
my new siser in law for the last twenty years has three kids from her first marriage. When its a holiday...its a revolving door. We pick one house and all the kids from different marriages all come together..again a revoving door but all are welcome and that is "family".To them I am all just "AUnt Tt" the cool one" as I have been told by the assorted others that have dated each and every neice and nephew.
I think JOe is writing about how his feelings are about family since he is sober...all family...jmo I mean I heard a judge one day along time ago to put down your x is telling your child there is something wrong with them cause half of that x is in that child and at one point...u must have saw good in the x
again just all my opinion and i amsure someone will tear it apart..lol

Brooke
11-25-2012, 07:58 PM
My vote is for High Roller Baby.

11-25-2012, 08:52 PM
Well - It looks like Hi-Roller Baby is going down, which I'm okay with. But, since it doesn't need my vote, I'll continue to vote strategically ...

sodascouts
11-25-2012, 09:18 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Hi-Roller Baby. “Hi-Roller Baby”, the tribe has spoken and it doesn't want to take a chance on you. It's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Hi-Roller Baby -5
Funk 50 – 4
Family - 2
Analog Man – 1

Vote Breakdown
Hi-Roller Baby - Tiffanny Twisted
Hi-Roller Baby - AzEaglesFan
Hi-Roller Baby - WalshFan88
Hi-Roller Baby - Prettymaid
Hi-Roller Baby - Brooke
Funk 50 - Freypower
Funk 50 - zeldabjr
Funk 50 - GlennLover
Funk 50 – timfan
Family - sodascouts
Family - Topkat

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time
Funk 50

VOTING FOR ROUND 6 BEGINS NOW!

Prettymaid
11-25-2012, 09:45 PM
So far I'm pleased with how the game is going. Let's keep the momentum going!

I vote for Funk 50.

It's definitely sounds like a Joe Walsh song, but the remaining songs are much better, IMO.

sodascouts
11-25-2012, 10:09 PM
Aw, I'm sad to see Hi-Roller Baby go!

I'll be predictable....

Freypower
11-25-2012, 10:50 PM
I vote for Funk 50.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-25-2012, 11:26 PM
funk 50

timfan
11-25-2012, 11:32 PM
I'll vote for Funk 50

WalshFan88
11-26-2012, 12:17 AM
I DO like Funk #49.. To me it's a classic of a song as one can get - I'd put it right up there with anything of the 70s.

Funk #48 and 50 have never done much for me though. They sound like Joe but I agree the rest are better.

Funk #50

Koala
11-26-2012, 12:44 AM

AzEaglesFan
11-26-2012, 01:44 AM
I vote for Funk 50 this time.

TimothyBFan
11-26-2012, 09:44 AM
I'm with all of you that think Family isn't very "family oriented". It just sounds to me like the only family that matters, is the current one. BUT I do believe it's open to interpretation, as is any song by the Eagles or anyone else. The beauty of music!!

I vote for Family.

Topkat
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
Oh no, I LOVE FUNK 50, it's classic Joe....Too soon for that one to go down!!
I have like 3 other songs I would vote off before Funk 50.
Save the FUNK!!!
Voting for FAMILY

GlennLover
11-26-2012, 11:38 AM
I'll have to go with Funk 50 again.

As for Family, I'll just add my 2 cents worth. I tend to agree with Dreamer's interpretation I'll just add that I think he is talking about his "extended family" also. It seems that he spends a lot of time with Barbara & Ringo & their family & is really enjoying that. I forget whether it was last Christmas or the one before that there was a video on YouTube showing Joe & Marjorie at Ringo & Barbara's home where they were spending Christmas with the "extended family". In the video Joe, Ringo & others were jamming. Lucy was there & was participating in the jam session as well.

sodascouts
11-26-2012, 02:56 PM
Speaking in favor of Funk 50 - how cool is it that Joe is keeping the tradition alive after all this time? Mega-cool, IMHO! I think the song should get points just for that!

Freypower
11-26-2012, 04:26 PM
Speaking in favor of Funk 50 - how cool is it that Joe is keeping the tradition alive after all this time? Mega-cool, IMHO! I think the song should get points just for that!

That's precisely why I'm not a fan of it. It's a remake. After all this time I wanted new, fresh material. If he did it live, that would be OK, but I think it is out of place on what is supposed to be a 'new' album even if it has updated lyrics.

I stayed out of the Family fracas but I'm basically with Dreamer, PM & GL on it.

Brooke
11-27-2012, 03:13 PM
I know when this cd first came out and I heard Family, I was very disappointed in Joe for singing about his family in this way and felt very sorry for his kids. I'm still shocked that he did it unless there are still hard feelings there. I would like to think that he didn't mean for it to sound the way it does, but there it is in black & white!

But still, I really like this song as a whole and I just try to listen to it without becoming involved in the real meaning.

I think the next song to go should be Funk 50. It seems he's just grabbing at straws in order to come up with another song for the cd so he threw this one together.

I vote for Funk 50.

sodascouts
11-27-2012, 09:00 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Funk 50. “Funk 50", the tribe has spoken and it looks like it's time for you to go on that vacation. You've been voted off. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Funk 50 – 8
Family - 4

Vote Breakdown
Funk 50 - Prettymaid
Funk 50 - Freypower
Funk 50 - Tiffanny Twisted
Funk 50 – timfan
Funk 50 - WalshFan88
Funk 50 - AzEaglesFan
Funk 50 - GlennLover
Funk 50 - Brooke
Family - sodascouts
Family - Koala
Family - TimothyBFan
Family - Topkat

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Band Played On
Family
One Day at a Time

VOTING FOR ROUND 7 BEGINS NOW!

sodascouts
11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I'm not giving up until this sucker goes down!

Freypower
11-27-2012, 09:06 PM
I vote for Family. Not because the lyrics bother me; they don't. I just don't think it's a particularly interesting song compared with the others remaining.

Prettymaid
11-27-2012, 09:11 PM
Okay, Family can go now! :hilarious:

So there is no confusion, I cast my vote for Family.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-28-2012, 10:53 AM
i vote for analog man

I really love one day at a time, band played on and wrecking ball.
I am also particial to family but not for Joes family.....for mine.
I had a hard time between analog man and wrecking ball but wrecking ball really grew on me and analong man not as much so
I vote for analog man

timfan
11-28-2012, 11:38 AM
I really like all the remaining songs so now it gets tough! After much thought I'll vote for The Band Played On

sodascouts
11-28-2012, 12:33 PM
At this point, I have no idea what will win. Things are starting to get interesting!

Brooke
11-28-2012, 03:04 PM
Well, it's more than likely that it won't be Analog Man if Dreamer has her way! :lol:

These last ones are going to be tough!

11-28-2012, 10:03 PM
Well rats - I wasn't able to get to the computer in time to vote last round. By the time I got back on here last night, it was 7:59 and I knew I couldn't type quick enough to vote before the clock struck 8:00. The good news is that my vote wouldn't have made any difference in the outcome. And yep Brooke, I would have voted for Analog Man. :wink: I actually like the song a lot, but I thought I'd vote for it because it's not my pick to win the game. I agree - I think the remainder of the game is going to be fun cause I have no idea what order the rest of these will go down. I actually thought Family would be a sure thing to go this time, but maybe not. There are still a lot of outstanding votes. I'll join in with any coalition to vote for Analog Man or Band Played On in order to save Family. I just can't buy into any idea that Joe would be so mean-spirited to put the song on the album if he meant it as a slam against anyone. I choose to think of it positively, which means I see it as a lovely heartfelt outpouring of emotions.

AzEaglesFan
11-29-2012, 02:43 AM
I vote for The Band Played On

Topkat
11-29-2012, 06:51 AM
Voting again for
FAMILY

I didn't think Analog Man would win anyway. It certainly isn't my pick to win, but voting for it now, well I just don't see it going before some of these other songs, that is unless you really can't stand it. I think AM at least deserves to be in the top 4.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-29-2012, 07:29 AM
Voting again for
FAMILY

I didn't think Analog Man would win anyway. It certainly isn't my pick to win, but voting for it now, well I just don't see it going before some of these other songs, that is unless you really can't stand it. I think AM at least deserves to be in the top 4.

WHY????Just wondering.It bothered me to vote for it casue t was the title of the cd but...there are much better songs jmo so why top 4???

Topkat
11-29-2012, 08:01 AM
WHY????Just wondering.It bothered me to vote for it casue t was the title of the cd but...there are much better songs jmo so why top 4???

TT, It's just my opinion!! AM isn't the best song, but I think it's a pretty good song, certainly better than Family in my opinion. I like the ideas behind the song. I think it's catchy & expresses a feeling that some of us have toward the digital age of music.

TimothyBFan
11-29-2012, 09:13 AM
Sticking with my vote the last couple of rounds... I'm persistent!

I vote for Family.

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 09:33 AM
IMO, after Family is voted off this round ;-) I think the remaining songs are very deserving to be in the top of the heap. This game has gone my way much too easily so far, and I'm anxious to see how the rest of the game plays out.

Brooke
11-29-2012, 10:33 AM
I vote for Family this round.

I still really like it though! I just try to not think about the meaning and I agree with Dreamer that surely Joe would not direct it at his family. :shrug:

sodascouts
11-29-2012, 01:55 PM

I also believe that Analog Man should be in the top four; it IS my fourth favorite, in fact. I like the concept and I think it's catchy. There's something so appealing about the way he sings "I'm gonna find me an analog girl who loves me for what I am." He's going to do his thing no matter what. Plus, it's very relatable to many people who are maxed out on digitization.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, but is it really so incomprehensible that some people like "Analog Man" more than you do? Folks have different tastes.

GlennLover
11-29-2012, 05:00 PM
I'm not ready to see Family go yet. I would vote off High Roller Baby or The Band Played On to save it

Freypower
11-29-2012, 05:51 PM
I'm not ready to see Family go yet. I would vote off High Roller Baby or The Band Played On to save it

Except remember Hi Roller Baby has already been voted off.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-29-2012, 08:26 PM
I also believe that Analog Man should be in the top four; it IS my fourth favorite, in fact. I like the concept and I think it's catchy. There's something so appealing about the way he sings "I'm gonna find me an analog girl who loves me for what I am." He's going to do his thing no matter what. Plus, it's very relatable to many people who are maxed out on digitization.

You don't have to agree with that opinion, but is it really so incomprehensible that some people like "Analog Man" more than you do? Folks have different tastes.
No Nancy....It isnt so incomprehensible that some people like "analog MAn" more than I do ..I was just courious about what people liked or didnt like about that song...cause I feel like I am on the fence with that song for a lot of reasons. I was just intrested in what she was thinking.
Its a shame that you took it in a negative way cause it was never ment in that way.
I actually wanted to know what she was thinking about it.
But..from here on out when I voten ...I will just pick my song and not say my reason or ask others what they are thinking since that seems to be an issue.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-29-2012, 08:32 PM
TT, It's just my opinion!! AM isn't the best song, but I think it's a pretty good song, certainly better than Family in my opinion. I like the ideas behind the song. I think it's catchy & expresses a feeling that some of us have toward the digital age of music.
Thanks TK ....
I do appreciate your honesty and you taking the time to really read my question.
I actually agree with you. I dont think its the best song(JMO) I do like the idea and what he is saying too but there are other songs that I like better so I am having trouble with the voting as we get towards the end.
Again, I appreciate hearing what you though. And I find it funny that I feel the same way about it too. Imagin that lol
Makes me feel not crazy that I have mixed feelings about that song.

Thanks again TK

11-29-2012, 08:57 PM
Well - it looks like I'll just continue to vote the same way. However, this time my vote is really not strategic. Although, I like Analog Man, it is my least favorite of the remaining songs. I love the clever lyrics in the song, but to me, it's not as melodic as the others so ...

11-29-2012, 09:09 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Family. “Family”, you’ll end up somewhere, but you are not yet where you belong yet. The tribe has spoken and right now you have to pack again. Please leave the island immediately.

Votes
Family – 6
Analog Man – 2
Band Played On – 2

Vote Breakdown
Family – sodascouts
Family – Freypower
Family– Prettymaid
Family – Topkat
Family – TimothyBFan
Family– Brooke
Analog Man – Tiffanny Twisted
Band Played On – timfan
Band Played On – AzEaglesFan

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Band Played On
One Day at a Time

VOTING FOR ROUND 8 BEGINS NOW!

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 09:53 PM
The next song I'm going to vote for is Band Played On.

I'm confused about why Joe chose to have a sitar in this song. It doesn't seem to fit the song, IMO. Once again there is a stark difference between the verses and the chorus. I actually like the part starting at " Too many icebergs", and my favorite musical part of the song is "the band played on" bit, but musically I don't like the verses at all.

And I'm not sure what he's trying to say in the song. Can anybody help me with that?

Freypower
11-29-2012, 09:54 PM
This probably won't be popular but I vote for Lucky That Way. Just as Funk 50 is a remake of Funk #49 I see this as a remake of Life's Been Good & it doesn't grab me, although I appreciate the sentiments.

Freypower
11-29-2012, 09:58 PM
The next song I'm going to vote for is Band Played On.

I'm confused about why Joe chose to have a sitar in this song. It doesn't seem to fit the song, IMO. Once again there is a stark difference between the verses and the chorus. I actually like the part starting at " Too many icebergs", and my favorite musical part of the song is "the band played on" bit, but musically I don't like the verses at all.

And I'm not sure what he's trying to say in the song. Can anybody help me with that?

It's a bit like Nero playing his violin while Rome burned. The band played on while the Titanic sank, ignoring the disaster all around it. He's saying that seems to be what everybody does these days. He actually uses the line 'we're up sh*t creek without any paddle' & nobody seems to care.

timfan
11-29-2012, 10:06 PM
I vote for Band Played On

Prettymaid
11-29-2012, 10:12 PM
It's a bit like Nero playing his violin while Rome burned. The band played on while the Titanic sank, ignoring the disaster all around it. He's saying that seems to be what everybody does these days. He actually uses the line 'we're up sh*t creek without any paddle' & nobody seems to care.

Thanks FP. I guess I'm confused because I always thought that the fact that the band played during the sinking of the Titanic was thought to be a good thing - that they were good and noble for doing it - not that they were ignoring the disaster.

Topkat
11-29-2012, 10:16 PM
This is another easy round for me. Of the songs left I must vote for
BAND PLAYED ON

I can't stand the beginning of this song. It makes me nuts
After this round, it's going to get tough for me because I really love the other songs :worried:

11-29-2012, 10:41 PM
PM - I agree with you about the stark contrast between the verses and chorus in Band Played On. I think the verses are kind of mundane and unmelodic compared to the chorus. However, I also agree with FP's interp of the song, so I'm thinking the monotone verses are intentional to complement the theme of everyone going about their daily routines ignoring all the important stuff going on around them. When I think of it that way, it makes me appreciate why the song is written that way. I think it is a really good song with a relevant message, while remaining pretty 'typical' Joe at the same time.

Freypower
11-29-2012, 11:20 PM
Thanks FP. I guess I'm confused because I always thought that the fact that the band played during the sinking of the Titanic was thought to be a good thing - that they were good and noble for doing it - not that they were ignoring the disaster.

You can look at it that way too - it's the British 'stiff upper lip' thing. But in terms of the song's lyrics to me he's gone with the Long Road Out Of Eden or even Hotel California scenario of drowning (literally) in decadence & selfishness.

WalshFan88
11-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Band Played On

TimothyBFan
11-30-2012, 10:19 AM
OK, this is getting very hard and the rest of these songs are all my favorites on this album but I'm going to show you my hand here---- I have Band Played On as #1 on my list. Go figure!! I love everything about it-the words are fantastic, love how the sitar is so different and I actually think it's really cool how it speeds up and then slows down.

Took another listen this morning to all of them and I guess I've got it figured out.

My vote is for Analog Man.

Look out my window see a world that's on fire Some people think that we should just let it burn With all this ignorance the flames just get higher... Higher
All of these people with their misinformation Must be the truth if it's a blog on the screen... We got to buy it it's the latest creation
Too many icebergs out on the ocean Too many chances to sink like a stone The great titanic about to go under And the band played on
Guess everybody needs a new pair of glasses A lot of shit out there nobody can see Yeah everybody's got their heads up their asses
We're all out here dead in the water [ From: http://www.metrolyrics.com/band-played-on-lyrics-joe-walsh.html ] We got a leak in the boat We're all up shit creak without a paddle Just trying to stay afloat
[Guitar solo]
We're all out here dead in the water We got a leak in the boat We're up shit creak without any paddle Just trying to stay afloat
Too many icebergs out on the ocean Too many chances to sink like a stone The great titanic about to go under And the band played on
And the band played... And the band played on

Read more: JOE WALSH - BAND PLAYED ON LYRICS (http://www.metrolyrics.com/band-played-on-lyrics-joe-walsh.html#ixzz2DiPmDbTv)

TimothyBFan
11-30-2012, 10:29 AM
Don't know why those lyrics printed out that way. I wanted to post them and it didn't look like it was going to but it obviously did. :hilarious:

sodascouts
11-30-2012, 12:20 PM

Well, in the literal sinking of the Titantic, the band continued to play to give comfort to the dying. They sacrificed their lives to do so, staying to play instead of running to the boats, knowing full well that meant they wouldn't survive. All of it was because they knew the power of music to soothe hearts, and they wanted to give that gift even at the cost of their own lives.

The last song they played was "Nearer My God to Thee."

In England a plaque is dedicated to these eight men. It reads:
THIS TABLET IS DEDICATED TO THE MEMORY OF
W.HARTLEY OF DEWSBURY -BANDMASTER-
W.T.BRAILEY OF LONDON
R.BRICOUX OF LILLE,FRANCE
J.F.CLARKE OF LIVERPOOL
J.L.HUME OF DUMFRIES
G. KRINS OF LIEGE, BELGIUM
P.C.TAYLOR OF LONDON
J.W.WOODWARD OF HEADINGTON

MEMBERS OF THE BAND ON BOARD
THE “TITANIC”; THEY BRAVELY
CONTINUED PLAYING TO SOOTHE THE
ANGUISH OF THEIR FELLOW PASSENGERS
UNTIL THE SHIP SANK IN THE DEEP
APRIL 14TH 1912.
COURAGE AND COMPASSION JOINED
MAKE THE HERO AND THE MAN COMPLETE
- http://www.theepochtimes.com/n2/life/and-the-band-played-on-aboard-the-titanic-217010.html

HELL YEAH it was a good thing in that case. If Joe is twisting it to be something bad for this song, it upsets me and I'll vote it off. To compare these brave men to Nero playing the fiddle while Rome burned - my God! I'm sorry to use such strong language, but I feel strongly about this. They didn't ignore the screams of the dying. They made the ultimate sacrifice to aid them - and the death they died as a result was not a pretty one. What a horrible shame that anyone would characterize these men as oblivious fools, deserving nothing but scorn and contempt - men to be sneered at. Is Joe really holding up men who gave their lives to help others as objects of ridicule and exemplars of ignorance? It so, that breaks my heart.

Going to listen to the song again in the hope this is not really what Joe meant.

sodascouts
11-30-2012, 02:39 PM
OK, I've listened to the song a few times and I've found an interpretation I'm satisfied with.

The song is indeed about people ignoring what's going on around them - the world going to Hell in a Handbasket and everybody too self-involved to notice.

However, perhaps when he says "And the band played on" he means that it's a musician's duty to keep playing even when all this bad stuff is happening, because music still has power to help people. After all, he's a musician, and he uses music to speak out. Maybe, just like the band on the Titanic, musicians persisting in their craft will make a difference and make the world a better place.

In this interp, the band on the Titanic are held up as admirable men, not as selfish out-of-touch idiots unable to look beyond their own noses to see the destruction around them. "Admirable" works a lot better for me.

Nonetheless, I find the music doesn't really seem to work with the lyrics. It has this Eastern feel and the criticism seems directed primarily at the Western world. After all, hasn't Joe recently been enthralled by Eastern religion, as his BFF Ringo was so many years ago? Therefore, putting these lyrics to Eastern music doesn't make sense to me; in fact, I find it jarring.

I cast my vote for Band Played On.

Prettymaid
11-30-2012, 03:34 PM
Thanks Soda. I certainly agree with your last paragraph.

I'm just home for lunch now and don't have time to absorb Soda's interpretation, but I forgot that Joe put some notes abount the songs on the cover. Here is BPO...

BAND PLAYED ON

This is another one that Tommy Lee James and I wrote.
We got thinking about the Titanic going down and the
visual of the orchestra on deck playing the whole time
it was sinking ’cause that’s what they do. This song is

about America also. People acting like ostriches with
their heads buried in the sand pretending that
nothing is wrong. So you might say there is some social
commentary in this song.

-------------------------------------------------------------

It does sound like Joe is saying that musicians just play - maybe not because it's their duty but because it's what is inside of them to do at any given time.

Brooke
11-30-2012, 03:59 PM
Thanks for all the research. It helped me decide what to vote for.

I vote for The Band Played On.

Freypower
11-30-2012, 05:23 PM
OK, I've listened to the song a few times and I've found an interpretation I'm satisfied with.

The song is indeed about people ignoring what's going on around them - the world going to Hell in a Handbasket and everybody too self-involved to notice.

However, perhaps when he says "And the band played on" he means that it's a musician's duty to keep playing even when all this bad stuff is happening, because music still has power to help people. After all, he's a musician, and he uses music to speak out. Maybe, just like the band on the Titanic, musicians persisting in their craft will make a difference and make the world a better place.

In this interp, the band on the Titanic are held up as admirable men, not as selfish out-of-touch idiots unable to look beyond their own noses to see the destruction around them. "Admirable" works a lot better for me.

Nonetheless, I find the music doesn't really seem to work with the lyrics. It has this Eastern feel and the criticism seems directed primarily at the Western world. After all, hasn't Joe recently been enthralled by Eastern religion, as his BFF Ringo was so many years ago? Therefore, putting these lyrics to Eastern music doesn't make sense to me; in fact, I find it jarring.

I cast my vote for Band Played On.

Nancy, I honestly was not trying to paint the Titanic musicians as oblivious fools or say that they weren't heroic. I don't know that Joe was either. I think you're looking at this far too closely. When I used the 'Rome burned' comparison I had no idea you were going to react in that way. I was being matter of fact & referring to what Joe was talking about generally, not the extremely specific situation of the band on the Titanic. Also like it or not the image has been used before to refer to the generalised image of going to hell in a handbasket, as you put it. I suppose not everybody is familiar with the exact details. See this song by Harry Chapin as a comparison with Joe's song. And yes, believe it or not, it mentions Nero. I didn't even know that when I looked it up.

http://www.lyricsmode.com/lyrics/h/harry_chapin/dance_band_on_the_titanic.html

Tiffanny Twisted
11-30-2012, 08:03 PM
I was gonna vote eary today before I left for work.lol
Then decided to relisten to it again and again to work and coming home.

I really like what he is saying in the song Wrecking ball..I enjoyed watching him perform it on live from daryls house.

I do like the band played on. I enjoy the different styles of guitar and how it is intense at the last third to the end of the sone. even the sitar...I also think its cool that Ringo played on this song.

Of course my fave is One day at a time. I even like this version is better than the live at melboure version.

I vote for analog man

AzEaglesFan
12-01-2012, 02:01 AM
The Band Played On.

12-01-2012, 08:52 PM
Well - it looks like Analog is going to stick around for at least one more round, so I'm going to change gears in my strategy ...

I cast my vote for Lucky That Way.

sodascouts
12-01-2012, 09:01 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Band Played On. “Band Played On”, you’re dead in the water. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Band Played On – 7
Lucky That Way - 2
Analog Man – 2

Vote Breakdown
Band Played On - Prettymaid
Band Played On – timfan
Band Played On - Topkat
Band Played On - WalshFan88
Band Played On - sodascouts
Band Played On - Brooke
Band Played On – AzEaglesFan
Lucky That Way - Freypower
Lucky That Way - Ive always been a dreamer
Analog Man - TimothyBFan

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29
Band Played On 12/1

Songs remaining:
Analog Man
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
One Day at a Time

VOTING FOR ROUND 9 BEGINS NOW!

timfan
12-01-2012, 09:08 PM
This time there is no question for me Wrecking Ball is the next to go!

Freypower
12-01-2012, 09:35 PM
Lucky That Way

WalshFan88
12-01-2012, 10:12 PM
Analog Man

It was between that and LTW, but I like Lucky That Way too much. It makes me feel good for Joe and happy.

Analog Man is a good song, but just doesn't click with me although I entirely agree with him that analog is the way to go and about his thoughts on new music.

12-01-2012, 10:21 PM
Wow - there have actually been hardly any real close rounds in this game, but I wonder if that is about to change in these last few rounds. Based on these first few votes, we are all over the place and I guess that's understandable since the remaining songs are all so good. I have a feeling the remainder of this game is going to be very interesting. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-01-2012, 11:14 PM
I really like Wrecking Ball. I think the simile is clever and the melody rocks.

I enjoy it - especially the "started in the middle of nowhere" part - but it does kind of seem like Life's Been Good without the funny.

Prettymaid
12-01-2012, 11:33 PM
I really like Wrecking Ball. I think the simile is clever and the melody rocks.

I enjoy it - especially the "started in the middle of nowhere" part - but it does kind of seem like Life's Been Good without the funny.

To me it's irrelevant that Lucky That Way is the same subject matter as Life's Been Good. The songs couldn't be more different otherwise if they tried. Ever since I first heard it I have thought that it's one of the best written songs on the album, both musically and lyrically. It definitely has a country vibe to it, but that doesn't matter to me. It's that good.

I like Wrecking Ball too - a lot more than Analog Man. IMO, Analog Man is the worst of the best, and it's time for it to go.

Soda, what happened to Analog Man being your fourth favorite? ;-)

sodascouts
12-01-2012, 11:49 PM
I'm just Erratic That Way. ;)

Prettymaid
12-01-2012, 11:57 PM
Lol!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-02-2012, 12:10 AM
analog man gets my vote to GO

i THINK my fave song is "ODAAT."...I always wondered why It wasnt realeased as an EAGLES song till I heard the verson on the cd of " ANalog man." I have the words from the cd copied and posted on my pc at work. I really Like" wrecking ball" much better than "ANalog MAN". I like the words to the song but I like the melody to" wrecking ball "much better. "Lucky that way" is good too ( a ballad /slow song as we have discussed in another thread)
ANyway .....ANALOG MAN TO GO

AzEaglesFan
12-02-2012, 02:33 AM
OH MAN, this is getting tough.

I guess Wrecking Ball

Topkat
12-02-2012, 12:01 PM
Looks like last round less people voted. This round is shaping up to be interesting, as these last songs are all really good. I'm still not sure what I'm voting for????

Topkat
12-02-2012, 04:39 PM
After listening to all these songs again, I'm voting for;

One Day at a Time

This isn't even a new song, & it's time for it to GO!

timfan
12-02-2012, 05:42 PM
Definately a fascinating round, with votes all over the place! As dreamer said yesterday if this is the way the rest of the rounds are to go we're in for exciting times! :thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-02-2012, 07:14 PM
After listening to all these songs again, I'm voting for;

One Day at a Time

This isn't even a new song, & it's time for it to GO!

JMO it is a new song since it has never appeared on a cd before and never was recorded..

Freypower
12-02-2012, 08:17 PM
JMO it is a new song since it has never appeared on a cd before and never was recorded..

It was first performed in 2004 & appears on the Farewell One DVD. Therefore it is not 'new' even though this is its first appearance on a CD. It is 8 years old.

Topkat
12-02-2012, 08:38 PM
Every one was saying that FUNK 50 was a remake of FUnk 49, so I feel One Day at a TIme is an old song & doesn't deserve to win Survivor. Even though it was never on a CD, the Eagles have done it in concerts & it's on a DVD so yes its old. Also not even really a Joe Wash song since the Eagles do it as a group

Prettymaid
12-02-2012, 09:42 PM
I know that several of us here were hoping that Joe would put One Day at a Time on his new album, but I had no idea I would like it better than the F1 version. At first I felt the same way as TK - it couldn't be my favorite on the album because it wasn't new. But that's just silly. If you like a song then the rest doesn't matter. ODAAT deserves to win just as much as any of the remaining songs!

WalshFan88
12-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Count me in also as preferring the AM version of ODAAT. Funny, cuz I like LBG as an Eagles song. Go figure.

I just feel that ODAAT is new, as it was never on a studio recording and the Analog Man version of ODAAT is clearly superior to the version that first appeared on F1, AFAIC.

sodascouts
12-02-2012, 10:41 PM
Joe's version of ODAAT is excellent. He's changed it up enough so it's not just a rehash of the Eagles version. While I am one of those who prefers the Eagles version, I consider Joe's version to be almost as good and I really enjoy it.

Everyone is correct here; it's both old and new, just like "How Long" on LROOE. It's just a matter of perspective. And if you don't want to give it top position because it wasn't written recently, that's certainly as legitimate a consideration as some of the others people have expressed.

For me, I think it's a terrific song, but it's not in my top spot. I still love it and I'm very glad he included it on the new CD.

TimothyBFan
12-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Count me as one of those who likes the AM version of ODAAT better also. It seems a bit more upbeat or something.

My vote this round is the same as last. I vote for Analog Man.

Topkat
12-03-2012, 11:34 AM
I know that several of us here were hoping that Joe would put One Day at a Time on his new album, but I had no idea I would like it better than the F1 version. At first I felt the same way as TK - it couldn't be my favorite on the album because it wasn't new. But that's just silly. If you like a song then the rest doesn't matter. ODAAT deserves to win just as much as any of the remaining songs!

I don't think it's "silly" This is an OLD song, we've all heard it hundreds of times.Yes, it's a little different musically, but the words are mostly the same.
Also, like I said the Eagles did this song, not Joe. Maybe he does it at his solo shows, & yes it's his story, but a NEW ALBUM, should be NEW STUFF! This is not new no matter how you rationalize it....The song is almost 10 years old, that's why most of us love it, because it has been around for so long & we've heard it so many times.

TimothyBFan
12-03-2012, 11:47 AM
I don't think it's "silly" This is an OLD song, we've all heard it hundreds of times.Yes, it's a little different musically, but the words are mostly the same.
Also, like I said the Eagles did this song, not Joe. Maybe he does it at his solo shows, & yes it's his story, but a NEW ALBUM, should be NEW STUFF! This is not new no matter how you rationalize it....The song is almost 10 years old, that's why most of us love it, because it has been around for so long & we've heard it so many times.

TK-- Hope you don't mind me asking but how did you feel about How Long being put on LROOE? It was a much older song than this one. Just curious.

Topkat
12-03-2012, 03:30 PM
TK-- Hope you don't mind me asking but how did you feel about How Long being put on LROOE? It was a much older song than this one. Just curious.

TBF; I do feel the same way about Long Run, but since that was a double album, it didn't really bother me that much as there was a lot of new material on it. I don't think I would have been too happy to see it win Survivor though.

Freypower
12-03-2012, 06:39 PM

I think you are being unfair to ODAAT by emphasising the 'Eagles did it' angle. It's a very personal song.

How did you feel about No More Cloudy Days being on LROOE when you had also heard that 'hundreds of times'? How did you feel about the song After Hours, which was written in 1984? I should also state that the song After Hours, despite its age, won that Survivor, and ODAAT may well win this one.

Also despite its appearance on Farewell One the Eagles barely played it. I was one of the few people (in fact I may be the only person) on this board to have seen the Eagles play it.

I probably prefer the Analog Man version to the F1 version.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-03-2012, 06:53 PM
fp me too I like the ananlog man verson better than melbourne.
lucky you to see it live

Topkat
12-03-2012, 07:00 PM
FP, I'm not talking about other songs on other albums. I'm just talking about ODAAT. People were complaining that Funk 50 was just a remake of Funk 49 & therefore was a reason to VOTE IT OUT. I think this is a remake of an old song, so that is my reason to VOTE IT OUT! It's my personal feeling about it. I like the song, but I do not feel it deserves the Survivor title, as that would just be giving it to one of Joe's old songs. Seems not many agree with me, but that is how I feel about it.

As for Cloudy Days, I never heard it before, I do not remember them doing that at shows, & that song would never win Survivor anyway... As for Glenn's album, well that was an entire album of remakes, or mostly remakes of standards. It's not a fair comparison. Joe's album is promoted as a new album, with new songs, so to have an old song win it, just seems wrong to me!!

Freypower
12-03-2012, 07:05 PM
FP, I'm not talking about other songs on other albums. I'm just talking about ODAAT. People were complaining that Funk 50 was just a remake of Funk 49 & therefore was a reason to VOTE IT OUT. I think this is a remake of an old song, so that is my reason to VOTE IT OUT! It's my personal feeling about it. I like the song, but I do not feel it deserves the Survivor title, as that would just be giving it to one of Joe's old songs. Seems not many agree with me, but that is how I feel about it.

As for Cloudy Days, I never heard it before, I do not remember them doing that at shows, & that song would never win Survivor anyway... As for Glenn's album, well that was an entire album of remakes, or mostly remakes of standards. It's not a fair comparison. Joe's album is promoted as a new album, with new songs, so to have an old song win it, just seems wrong to me!!

No More Cloudy Days was on the Farewell One DVD before it was released on LROOE. I saw them do it. I am very surprised that you appear not to be aware of that; you have F1, don't you? It is exactly the same as ODAAT. The only difference it was released on a CD in 2007 instead of 2012. I am not sure how your statement 'NMCD would never win Survivor anyway' is relevant.

The point about the title track of After Hours is that when it won its Survivor nobody said it should be disqualified because of its age. Neither should ODAAT. If people want it to win, it is because they think it is deserving, that it is a good song, just as they did with After Hours.

ODAAT is a new recording of what you describe as an 'old' song & is as valid & deserving as NMCD & After Hours.

Prettymaid
12-03-2012, 07:28 PM

I knew that would come back to bite me! :D I'm sorry TK. I certainly didn't mean that you are silly. I was trying to convey the way I felt after listening to the album the first few times and liking ODAAT better than every other song on the album but not allowing myself to feel that way because of the points you have brought up here. I just decided that for myself, it was not a convincing reason to not like it as much as I knew I did. Sometimes the way I feel about a song and logic just don't mix.

Brooke
12-03-2012, 08:23 PM
Just taking a minute to come in and vote.

I vote for Analog Man. I really like it and it's my number 4. Just like the rest a little better.

12-03-2012, 08:58 PM
Well, since I've been voting for Analog Man almost the entire game for strategic reasons, I guess I'll go ahead and contribute to it's demise. I do like the song and think it is vintage Joe, but I like the remaining songs better, so ...

Topkat
12-03-2012, 09:09 PM
No More Cloudy Days was on the Farewell One DVD before it was released on LROOE. I saw them do it. I am very surprised that you appear not to be aware of that; you have F1, don't you? It is exactly the same as ODAAT. The only difference it was released on a CD in 2007 instead of 2012. I am not sure how your statement 'NMCD would never win Survivor anyway' is relevant.

The point about the title track of After Hours is that when it won its Survivor nobody said it should be disqualified because of its age. Neither should ODAAT. If people want it to win, it is because they think it is deserving, that it is a good song, just as they did with After Hours.

ODAAT is a new recording of what you describe as an 'old' song & is as valid & deserving as NMCD & After Hours.

I was just giving MY reasons for voting it out at this stage of the game. I do love the song, but I think Wrecking Ball & Lucky that Way are just as good!!
I don't even see how this all relates to LROOE or After Hours?
Yes, I do have Farewell1, but I don't watch it that much, so I didn't even realize NMCD was on it. Doesn't even relate to this conversation. NMCD was never remade on a solo album.
Just my opinion & my reasoning for not thinking ODAAT deserves the win.
We all have our opinions here, so that's mine & I'm sticking to it!::nope:

Freypower
12-03-2012, 09:19 PM
I was just giving MY reasons for voting it out at this stage of the game. I do love the song, but I think Wrecking Ball & Lucky that Way are just as good!!
I don't even see how this all relates to LROOE or After Hours?
Yes, I do have Farewell1, but I don't watch it that much, so I didn't even realize NMCD was on it. Doesn't even relate to this conversation. NMCD was never remade on a solo album.
Just my opinion & my reasoning for not thinking ODAAT deserves the win.
We all have our opinions here, so that's mine & I'm sticking to it!::nope:

It relates to it because you were asked how you felt about other songs which were old & subsequently released on CDs. You didn't really answer. You appear to apply your reasoning only to ODAAT.

I also think it is interesting that you claim both that you heard ODAAT 'hundreds of times' & now claim that you 'didn't realise' that NMCD is on the same DVD. If you don't watch F1 that often how is ODAAT so familiar to you & the other song is not?

I'm leaving this now. You are voting for it to go because you think it's 'old' & not because you think the other songs are better. That is your choice.

12-03-2012, 09:28 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Analog Man. “Analog Man”, we hate to spoil your digital dream, but the tribe has spoken. It's time for you to go find a new place in cyberspace. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Analog Man – 6
Lucky That Way – 2
Wrecking Ball – 2
One Day at a Time – 1

Vote Breakdown
Analog Man – WalshFan88
Analog Man – Prettymaid
Analog Man – TimothyBFan
Analog Man – Brooke
Lucky That Way – Freypower
Lucky That Way – sodascouts
Wrecking Ball – timfan
Wrecking Ball – AzEaglesFan
]One Day at a Time – Topkat

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29
Band Played On 12/1
Analog Man 12/3

Songs remaining:
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
One Day at a Time

VOTING FOR ROUND 10 BEGINS NOW!

Freypower
12-03-2012, 09:34 PM
Lucky That Way

timfan
12-03-2012, 10:08 PM
Wrecking Ball

Tiffanny Twisted
12-03-2012, 10:18 PM
lucky that way

WalshFan88
12-03-2012, 11:16 PM
Lucky That Way

Topkat
12-03-2012, 11:20 PM
One Day at a Time

Prettymaid
12-03-2012, 11:28 PM
This is getting so exciting! I just listened to the remaining three again. They're all good! I'm going to watch and wait. Who knows? Maybe someone will post something that will change my mind.

Brooke
12-04-2012, 10:13 AM
I'm really torn too. Can't decide which should go next! Keep talkin' people! :lol:

TimothyBFan
12-04-2012, 10:15 AM
Another passionate Survivor game again!!!

I vote for Wrecking Ball.

timfan
12-04-2012, 11:14 AM
Lucky That Way is my #1 song from this album. I find it just soo heartfelt and humbling. We can each look at the song and recognize how lucky we are in our own lives. It is definately a song that has helped me through the trying times of the last 6 months. So I encourage everyone to vote for Wrecking Ball to get Lucky That Way into the finals!

12-04-2012, 12:15 PM
I'm really torn too. Can't decide which should go next! Keep talkin' people! :lol:

You really don't want to encourage this, now do you, Brooke! :lol:

Well okay then ... I love all three songs and, IMO, they are definitely the ones that deserve to be the last three standing in the game. They are all really good songs about "relevant stuff", as Joe says, and all have great lyrics, music, and melolodies. I can see how any of them could win this game.

BUT (and you knew this would come) ... for me, One Day At a Time is a cut above the rest. I also think the AM version is better, and, to me, anytime someone can improve on an Eagles version of anything, they have accomplished something REALLY special. As I said when I wrote my album review – "more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album."

Wrecking Ball rocks musically, and has a great melody and lyrics. I like Joe’s vocals on this one a lot, too. I just love how he has come full circle and can speak to today's youth from 'the voice of experience'. It's my second favorite. I would guess this has something to do with my general bias for rockers.

Lucky That Way has some of Joe’s best lyrics ever IMO. Almost anyone can relate to them and I especially love the bridge.

TimothyBFan
12-04-2012, 12:27 PM
Well okay then ... I love all three songs and, IMO, they are definitely the ones that deserve to be the last three standing in the game. They are all really good songs about "relevant stuff", as Joe says, and all have great lyrics, music, and melolodies. I can see how any of them could win this game.

BUT (and you knew this would come) ... for me, One Day At a Time is a cut above the rest. I also think the AM version is better, and, to me, anytime someone can improve on an Eagles version of anything, they have accomplished something REALLY special. As I said when I wrote my album review – "more guitar, less bass, and no horns makes it better, IMO. I love the Eagles version, but this version has a rockier, more energetic sound and the harmonies are more subdued, which I think works better in this case. Joe’s vocals are also fuller on this version and I don’t miss those background la la la’s. The song is an inspirational, meaningful, and honest look at recovery. It’s my favorite on the album."

:nod: You just said exactly what I feel! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-04-2012, 04:23 PM
I have to disagree about Lucky That Way being some of Joe's best lyrics. They are heartfelt, but not very sophisticated or especially clever. "It feels pretty good to be me." "I get to live out here in California. I got a palm tree and a swimming pool." "Got a good woman and she makes me happy. Most of the time I make her happy too." "The times I thought were the end of the world didn't turn out so bad after all." Again, genuine, but a bit simplisitic... not exactly poetry there. On the other hand, Wrecking Ball has a terrific central metaphor and in my opinion, that's the one that's a cut above. Let's reward Joe for being creative lyrically rather than just giving us a rundown of why his life is so awesome.

Brooke
12-04-2012, 05:22 PM
Ok, you talked me in to it!

I vote for Lucky That Way.

WalshFan88
12-04-2012, 07:08 PM
Truth be told, I really like LTW. I just find Wrecking Ball to be a bit more appealing for me.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-04-2012, 10:06 PM
:nod: You just said exactly what I feel! :thumbsup:
I second that emotion..well said :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
12-04-2012, 10:42 PM
I have to disagree about Lucky That Way being some of Joe's best lyrics. They are heartfelt, but not very sophisticated or especially clever. "It feels pretty good to be me." "I get to live out here in California. I got a palm tree and a swimming pool." "Got a good woman and she makes me happy. Most of the time I make her happy too." "The times I thought were the end of the world didn't turn out so bad after all." Again, genuine, but a bit simplisitic... not exactly poetry there. On the other hand, Wrecking Ball has a terrific central metaphor and in my opinion, that's the one that's a cut above. Let's reward Joe for being creative lyrically rather than just giving us a rundown of why his life is so awesome.

I was actually thinking about this earlier, but the line I was thinking about was "We decided we should live together, so we both said 'I do' " I know I said in an earlier post that I thought LTW was one of the best songs on the album, both musically and lyrically, but I have to agree with Soda here - the lyrics are pretty simple. I do think that when I compare LTW and WB that LTW is the better single. It just comes across more as hit material to me. But that doesn't necessarily make it the better song. This is a close one for me. I think I'll sleep on it.

Topkat
12-04-2012, 11:22 PM
To me Wrecking Ball is one of Joe's best songs! When I saw him do it with Daryl Hall on the Live at Daryl's House episode, he really kicked the guitar work up a lot & made the song my favorite from this album. Can't wait to hear this at a live show!:thumbsup: I think it's a bit different from most of his other songs & I loved it from the first time I heard it.
The last 3 songs left are all winners, but to me it's Wrecking Ball that is a cut above the others

12-05-2012, 12:29 AM
I understand what you all are saying here about the lyrics in Lucky That Way, but to me they are very poetic. If you isolate certain words or phrases, then they are not that impressive, but, to me, it's the way they fit together and flow very seamlessly especially when put to music. I think the simplicity is part of the appeal to me. I'm having a hard time trying to explain it well, but I think it's the use of simple ordinary words to express more complex emotions and sophisticated subject matter that works really well for me. In other words, I guess it's the way Joe uses the words rather than the actual words themselves that I find poetic, if that makes any sense.

But, as I said earlier, overall, I do like Wrecking Ball a bit more.

AzEaglesFan
12-05-2012, 02:31 AM
Wrecking Ball I just like the other two better.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-05-2012, 08:52 AM
I think its a tough survivor.
the remaing songs are the best.
I love this version of ODAAT...as I said before am so glad eagles didnt record/release it. I love the Joe veersion best.When I am having a tough day.....I play it on the way to work reminding me to indeed , take it one day at a time...it really helps me get centered that song does.

On an earlier thread people were complaining about ballads not being done.
well Mr Walsh simple as it is knocked it out of the park with" Lucky that way" . Simplistic words but poetry in motion...they just flow with the melody and the guitar work .(Its kinda how I feel about "soul Violins" by Hall and Oates..you wouldnt think it was romantic but if you really read the words and listen to the insturmendt that is daryl halls voice it is very romantic..same way about Joe with this song...)

Wrecking Ball...well for once I gotta agree with TK....watching it performed live on Live from Daryls house WOW that man knocked it out of the park with this "rocker" of a tune.....watch it ! its on "line at live from daryl's house .com" and its free .....great performance inspite of daryl hall..lol

Anyway , not looking for a fight all above just my opinion.
I think it comes down to ...do you want a balad (slow Joe song), a rocker (wrecking ball) or just a great song (ODAAT) to win analog man survivor...

maybe we shudda voted differently...list our fave ballad and our fave rocker song ...lol Its gonna be a tough choice...one I keep pondering and turning over and over in my mind....I think the best three are left standing and it will be hard to pick just one.

Just trying to put my feelings down in words hope it helps:brickwall:

Prettymaid
12-05-2012, 09:48 AM
I came very close to changing the order of my list for this round. I really appreciate everybody's thoughts - this is what I love about this game!

In the end, though, by the teensiest of margins, I vote for Wrecking Ball
I just enjoy listening to LTW a little more.

Freypower
12-05-2012, 05:42 PM
I think its a tough survivor.
the remaing songs are the best.
I love this version of ODAAT...as I said before am so glad eagles didnt record/release it. I love the Joe veersion best.When I am having a tough day.....I play it on the way to work reminding me to indeed , take it one day at a time...it really helps me get centered that song does.

On an earlier thread people were complaining about ballads not being done.
well Mr Walsh simple as it is knocked it out of the park with" Lucky that way" . Simplistic words but poetry in motion...they just flow with the melody and the guitar work .(Its kinda how I feel about "soul Violins" by Hall and Oates..you wouldnt think it was romantic but if you really read the words and listen to the insturmendt that is daryl halls voice it is very romantic..same way about Joe with this song...)

Wrecking Ball...well for once I gotta agree with TK....watching it performed live on Live from Daryls house WOW that man knocked it out of the park with this "rocker" of a tune.....watch it ! its on "line at live from daryl's house .com" and its free .....great performance inspite of daryl hall..lol

Anyway , not looking for a fight all above just my opinion.
I think it comes down to ...do you want a balad (slow Joe song), a rocker (wrecking ball) or just a great song (ODAAT) to win analog man survivor...

maybe we shudda voted differently...list our fave ballad and our fave rocker song ...lol Its gonna be a tough choice...one I keep pondering and turning over and over in my mind....I think the best three are left standing and it will be hard to pick just one.

Just trying to put my feelings down in words hope it helps:brickwall:

You should want what you consider the best song to win the game. For me, that is Wrecking Ball. LTW & ODAAT would probably not even be in my Top 3 but sadly (and remember this is only my opinion) they didn't have a lot of competition. I guess my Top 3 would have been WB, Band Played On & Analog Man with ODAAT fourth. I consider LTW pleasant but that's all.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-05-2012, 07:31 PM
fp i too liked the band played on but you and i are in the minority..lol

I was just trying to summorize for me how different I think (jmo) the last three songs are and why this is a hard game....:rockon:
tough decissions ahead.....
ps I really did like the band played on ...thought it was super cool

12-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Well - although I hate voting for any of these songs ... it must be done. I guess it'll come as no surprise ...

12-05-2012, 09:22 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Analog Man Survivor is Lucky That Way. “Lucky That Way”, I guess luck wasn't with you this round. The tribe has spoken and now you can return to your palm trees and swimming pool because you must leave the island immediately. The two remaining songs can please step forward for the final showdown:

Wrecking Ball vs One Day At a Time

Votes
Lucky That Way – 6
Wrecking Ball – 4
One Day at a Time – 1

Vote Breakdown
Lucky That Way – Freypower
Lucky That Way – Tiffanny Twisted
Lucky That Way – WalshFan88
Lucky That Way – sodascouts
Lucky That Way – Brooke
Lucky That Way – Ive always been a dreamer
Wrecking Ball – timfan
Wrecking Ball – TimothyBFan
Wrecking Ball – AzEaglesFan
Wrecking Ball – Prettymaid
One Day at a Time – Topkat

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29
Band Played On 12/1
Analog Man 12/3
Lucky That Way 12/5

Songs remaining:
Wrecking Ball
One Day at a Time

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN.

Voting for the final round begins now.

Freypower
12-05-2012, 09:24 PM
Wrecking Ball

timfan
12-05-2012, 10:18 PM
Sorry to see Lucky That Way gone however I can still vote for my second fav...

I VOTE FOR ONE DAY AT A TIME FOR THE WIN!!!

WalshFan88
12-05-2012, 10:57 PM
ONE DAY AT A TIME

Love, love, love this song and Joe's version is by far the best AFAIC. Really love this one and that video he did for it. It's a great song about his recovery.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-06-2012, 12:39 AM
one day at a time for the win:rockon::heart::heart:

love this version and love the video too

for the win

Topkat
12-06-2012, 02:02 AM
WRECKING BALL FOR THE WIN!
THIS SONG ROCKS

Prettymaid
12-06-2012, 08:35 AM
No doubt in my mind.

One Day at a Time

You know how all singers have that sweet spot? That range where their voice sounds the best? Well, in this song, Joe is in his sweet spot. His notes are dead on, the harmonies are subtle, yet impactful, and the music is great.

TimothyBFan
12-06-2012, 09:16 AM
fp i too liked the band played on but you and i are in the minority..lol

Count me in! Like I said earlier, it was number 1 on my list here.

And this was the 2nd on my list.... Love this version of it!!

One Day At A Time for the win!

Brooke
12-06-2012, 11:11 AM
Well, I really love both of these songs so it's very hard for me to decide! Wrecking Ball does rock and I love it!

But, Pm, you convinced me and I agree. I think Joe found his sweet spot on ODAAT and I really love this version best.

ONE DAY AT A TIME FOR THE WIN!

Fabulous song! Great job, Joe! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
12-06-2012, 01:12 PM
I love ODAAT as well and it's certainly a worthy song, but for me, that hard-rocking, cleverly constructed and worded song "Wrecking Ball" has the edge.

WRECKING BALL FOR THE WIN!

AzEaglesFan
12-07-2012, 03:03 AM
One Day At A Time

12-07-2012, 05:31 PM
I may not be around when the voting closes tonight, so I thought I'd better pop in here to vote. So for reasons already disclosed ...

I cast my vote for One Day at a Time to win this game!!!

sodascouts
12-07-2012, 09:01 PM
And the winner is....
ONE DAY AT A TIME!!!

Votes
One Day at a Time – 8
Wrecking Ball - 3

Vote Breakdown
One Day at a Time - timfan
One Day at a Time - WalshFan88
One Day at a Time - Tiffanny Twisted
One Day at a Time - Prettymaid
One Day at a Time - TimothyBFan
One Day at a Time - Brooke
One Day at a Time - AzEaglesFan
One Day at a Time - Ive always been a dreamer
Wrecking Ball - Freypower
Wrecking Ball - Topkat
Wrecking Ball - sodascouts

Songs eliminated:
But I Try 11/15
Fishbone 11/17
India 11/19
Spanish Dancer 11/21
Hi-Roller Baby 11/25
Funk 50 11/27
Family 11/29
Band Played On 12/1
Analog Man 12/3
Lucky That Way 12/5
Wrecking Ball 12/7

CONGRATULATIONS "ONE DAY AT A TIME"!

To celebrate, check out the video Joe made!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xlfCyHbLdpI

Thanks for playing!

WalshFan88
12-07-2012, 09:32 PM
YAY!!!!!!

Absolutely love, love, love this song and I think it's the best one on the album. That said, Wrecking Ball IMO did deserve 2nd place, it's a good song too.

Prettymaid
12-07-2012, 09:48 PM
This game was pretty painless for me. Here was my list.

One Day at a Time
Lucky That Way
Wrecking Ball
Analog Man
Band Played On
Family
Funk 50
Fishbone
High Roller Baby
Spanish Dancer
India
But I Try

Congratulations to One Day at a Time, a worthy winner for sure!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-08-2012, 09:05 AM
congradulations ....happy dance time....

such a great song and so well done on this cd

12-08-2012, 04:41 PM
Congratulations to One Day At a Time!!!

... a fantastic song on a fantastic album. And I'm also glad that Wrecking Ball came in second place - it's a great one too! Here is my list ...

1. One Day At a Time
2. Wrecking Ball
3. Lucky That Way
4. Family
5. Band Played On
6. Analog Man
7. But I Try
8. Funk 50
9. High Roller Baby
10. Spanish Dancer
11. India
12. Fishbone

Freypower
12-08-2012, 04:55 PM
It's interesting that people are doing a list for this album but they didn't do one for After Hours.

Mine is as follows & it's 'an album of two halves' for me. The songs I think are good & the songs which unfortunately I'm not impressed with.

1. Wrecking Ball
2. Band Played On
3. One Day At A Time
4. Analog Man
5. Lucky That Way
6. Family (this is the dividing point)
7. Hi Roller Baby
8. India
9. Funk 50
10. Spanish Dancer
11. Fishbone
12. But I Try

Prettymaid
12-08-2012, 05:32 PM
I'd have to agree with you FP. I enjoy listening to about fifty per cent of this album. I'm glad he put it out, though. I just wish I liked more of it.

And I think I'm the one who originally started sharing my Survivor list at the end of each game I play. But I didn't play AA.

Freypower
12-08-2012, 05:33 PM
I'm glad he put it out too, obviously, but like you I feel that it could have been a great deal better than it is.

WalshFan88
12-08-2012, 07:51 PM
I didn't have a list when I started the game, I like to just go by what I'm feeling. And I'm too lazy to go through all of the pages and see what each of my votes were. :hilarious:

But instead, here's how I'd rank the tunes:

One Day At A Time
Wrecking Ball
Lucky That Way
Analog Man
Funk 50
Fishbone
Band Played On
Family
Hi Roller Baby
Spanish Dancer
India
But I Try

For me, the divide is between Fishbone and Band Played On.

But I think ODAAT, WB, LTW, and AM are the standout sounds on this album....

Some tracks on the album though make me shake my head, such as India. Or Hi Roller Baby, which sounds very poppy and not very Joe-like at all.

The album, especially in some songs more than others, has a very glossy sound. I think you can put that to Jeff Lynne. Listen to any ELO record and you'll hear that same glossy sound. I'm not saying he's a bad producer, but I think he's probably not the guy for Joe if he wants to make a raw rock n' roll album ala 70s solo stuff (RMW, LBG, etc). Perhaps that was never his intention, but this album has some very typical Joe songs and then the next it's something you thought a pop star would have done.

timfan
12-08-2012, 08:23 PM
My list is as follows:

1. Lucky that Way
2. One Day at a Time
3. Analog Man
4. Family
5. Hi Roller Baby
6. Band Played On
7. Wrecking Ball
8. Funk 50
9. Spanish Dancer
10. Fishbone
11. India
12. But I Try

I see my list in 3 sections. The top four I LOVE, 5 through 10 are songs I like to varying degrees, and 11 to 12 are songs I dislike.

Topkat
12-08-2012, 08:43 PM
I never have a list. With this album, the first time I heard it a few songs stuck out to me as favorites & there were a couple I wasn't nuts about, but sometimes my favorite song would change....When I saw Joe do Wrecking Ball with Daryl, that song immediately jumped into my favorite spot, as I can see that song being a fabulous live song. I always like to think of how I would respond to it at a live show, & that song rocks out to me!
That said, I'm not really surprised that One Day at a Time won this thing, but it was just the obvious choice. I like the song, but like I said, to me it was an old song, & to me not the BEST song on the album. I do also really like Analog Man, & thought it was an appropriate title for the album.

I didn't really care for the Indian influence & the sitar on some of the songs. Those are the ones in the bottom for me, as I see it was with most of us here.
We all agreed on a lot of the first songs to go. It didn't really matter to me the exact order. The only one I felt got the boot to early was Funk 50. I do like that one maybe more than some of you.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-08-2012, 08:48 PM
here's mine:

ODAAT (love this version on this cd)
wrecking ball (love the version on live from daryls house)
lucky that way (just a nice heartfelt ballad)
band played on (just a cool song to my ear)_
family (makes me think of my family...not joes)
funk 50
high roller baby
india
spanish dancer
fishbone

all JMO...peace

12-08-2012, 11:50 PM
The album, especially in some songs more than others, has a very glossy sound. I think you can put that to Jeff Lynne. Listen to any ELO record and you'll hear that same glossy sound. I'm not saying he's a bad producer, but I think he's probably not the guy for Joe if he wants to make a raw rock n' roll album ala 70s solo stuff (RMW, LBG, etc). Perhaps that was never his intention, but this album has some very typical Joe songs and then the next it's something you thought a pop star would have done.

I have my songs in a different order than yours, Austin, but I agree with this part of your post. However, even though the album is glossier than Joe's other solo work, I think he remained true to himself and it is very much vintage Joe in many respects. I also agree with those who say there is a drop-off in quality between the best 5 or 6 songs and the rest of the album. However, I don't think the bottom half songs are terrible and I like most of them. Overall, this is one of my favorites of Joe's solo albums.