PDA

View Full Version : NYU Gala Nov15, 2012

Topkat
11-16-2012, 07:38 AM
I'm up early to give my review of the show last night.
I arrived at about 6:50 & was hanging out in front of the theater for a few minutes. Apparently there were still tickets available at the box office. I was a little surprised about that...
They started at about 7:10 with several speeches by gala director & NYU president. Judy & Micheal Steinhardt were given their awards & both made short speeches. Maria Bartiromo appeared in a short video.

Glenn accepted the award for the Eagles & spoke briefly about how he became involved with teaching at NYU. He was wearing a black suit, white shirt & black tie. He mentioned that his daughter, Taylor attends NYU. Then he introduced 3 students who performed 3 songs together. There was a female cello player, a guy on guitar & one on keyboards.
After a few minutes break to reset the stage, the Eagles came out. Don was wearing a white shirt with grey vest, black jeans, Tim; white shirt, dark vest & black jeans, Joe was all in black.
Here's the set list;
How Long
Peaceful Easy Feeling
I Can't Tell You Why
Witchy Woman
Lyin' Eyes
Walk Away

Don spoke a little about the 40th anniversary of the Eagles, before
The Long Run
Joe spoke a little about the movie The Warrior, which has the next song
In The City
Hotel California

The NYU Symphony Orchestra joins the band for these last songs;
Take It To The Limit
Desperado

Don held a particularly long note on Desperado to some cheers.

The show was short, but good. There was no encore!! I thought they would at least come back out & do Take It Easy, but no, the lights came on.
People were a little upset not to hear TIE...

My seat had a good view of the entire band, but I was trapped in the middle of the row, so I could not escape. Some were taking photos & video but the camera police were on it.
The girl next to me took some short video, that she said she will post on facebook, so I will try to see them.
They sounded great, as always, but the show felt like it was about 20 minutes, even though it was an hour. It seemed VERY SHORT & I knew it was going to be an hour, but it went so FAST. I felt like so many songs were MISSING from the show.
I had a great time, but I did feel a bit cheated that they didn't do an encore!!!
They did give out a nice large program with a nice photo of them, from LROOE

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 07:54 AM
Thank you, TK, for the review!! I'm glad you had a good time, I knew you would. A special treat to hear the orchestra with those two songs, they are both incredible with strings and I'm glad they did that.

I can't BELIEVE they didn't sing TIE! This is like Cal Ripken, Jr. randomly deciding to just sit out a game. (He holds the record for the most consecutive baseball games played).

Here's a review and discussion of Glenn teaching from Washington Post. It has a picture of the band and the symphony on stage from last night.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/national/higher-education/glenn-frey-of-the-eagles-helps-teach-songwriting-at-nyu-new-eagles-tour-may-be-on-the-horizon/2012/11/15/c47596ae-2fa4-11e2-af17-67abba0676e2_story.html

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 08:11 AM
TK, thanks for going to this and posting your review so promptly! I understand being bummed by not hearing TIE. At least they did HC.

How did your feet do in your new boots?

Thanks for the picture VA.

TimothyBFan
11-16-2012, 08:29 AM
First, thank you very much for getting up EARLY to get us a review. Above and beyond!!!

Sounds like a great experience and a pretty great setlist despite TIE missing. Pretty cool to see them in a different kind of atmosphere. Glad the Border was represented.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 08:34 AM
Some pictures from Twitter:

First, the students
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/thestudents.jpg

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 08:35 AM
Our guys:
http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/5.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/4.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/3.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/2.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/Eagles/Beacon%20show/1.jpg

Topkat
11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
I also took a few pictures, but they came out pretty much like those you posted. I haven't even looked at them yet!!
Forgot to mention that Glenn was spotted in the lobby before the show where they had a bar. Unfortunately, I didn't see him!!

Brooke
11-16-2012, 11:18 AM
Tk, thanks so much for your early review! Much appreciated! I'm so glad you got to go and had a good time! :cool:

This is for Glenn:

DON'T BE DROPPING TAKE IT EASY FROM THE SETLIST!

That is just sacrilegious and must NEVER happen again! :fingerwag:

It's my all time favorite song! EVER!

Topkat
11-16-2012, 11:35 AM
Tk, thanks so much for your early review! Much appreciated! I'm so glad you got to go and had a good time! :cool:

This is for Glenn:

DON'T BE DROPPING TAKE IT EASY FROM THE SETLIST!

That is just sacrilegious and must NEVER happen again! :fingerwag:

It's my all time favorite song! EVER!

Yes, I agree TAKE IT EASY is NOT to be DROPPED FROM THE SETLIST!
Hear that SUGAR!!!!

sodascouts
11-16-2012, 01:20 PM
First off, I'm glad you had a good time TK and thanks for reporting back so soon.

However....

Dropping TIE?! What the heck is that about?!

It's freaking 2 minutes long, give or take! They had time for that! And if my collection of bootlegs is any indication, that's the first Eagles show EVER that hasn't included it in the set. It's become one of the definitive Eagles songs, right next to "Hotel California." It would be like Fleetwood Mac dropping "Rhiannon" or "Go Your Own Way."

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different." He follows that up with how he's going to play it anyway and do his best but... why inject the negativity at all? It makes me nervous that he's not into the song anymore. If he's not into it anymore, he might be looking to drop it for good.

And that would suck, because you know what? It's GOOD that people still want to hear it. That means the song has staying power, and it shows the band was on point from Day 1. That's something to take PRIDE in, not gripe about.

Please, don't discard TIE!

Topkat
11-16-2012, 01:43 PM
I was really expecting an encore of TIE & RMW!!! Yeah, that was way too much to hope for. When they say 1 hour, it was exactly 1 hour. What an easy gig for them!!! I swear when Deparado started playing, I was like WTH???:stunned: It's OVER ALREADY! I felt like they were just warming up!

Another note: A few times people stood up after a song, Like after ICTYW, and HC...but people quickly sat back down. The girl next to me said that some people were standing up dancing & they were told by the ushers to "SIT DOWN"

There was also some kind of "After party" after the show, where there were some buses out front & black cars. I didn't know if this was for the NYU people or what, but I dodn't think the Eagles would be attending this thing, so I didn't bother hanging around. I was thinking they were probably already heading for the airport by the time we left the theater!LOL:sad:

timfan
11-16-2012, 02:05 PM
Fi

I have trouble envisioning them dropping TIE.. tho I guess anything is possible. I expect they do get tired of singing the same songs over and over. I would think if they put together the History of the Eagles tour that they've talked about,TIE would definately be included.

zeldabjr
11-16-2012, 02:58 PM
so glad you had a good time TK!...I think their two hour show feels like twenty minutes...so I can imagine how short a one hour show felt!...thanks for the review...and the set list!

and thanks for finding the pics VA!...

I love our guys getting recognized with an award...they so deserve it!

Brooke
11-16-2012, 03:12 PM

It's freaking 2 minutes long, give or take! They had time for that! And if my collection of bootlegs is any indication, that's the first Eagles show EVER that hasn't included it in the set. It's become one of the definitive Eagles songs, right next to "Hotel California." It would be like Fleetwood Mac dropping "Rhiannon" or "Go Your Own Way."

This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different." He follows that up with how he's going to play it anyway and do his best but... why inject the negativity at all? It makes me nervous that he's not into the song anymore. If he's not into it anymore, he might be looking to drop it for good.

And that would suck, because you know what? It's GOOD that people still want to hear it. That means the song has staying power, and it shows the band was on point from Day 1. That's something to take PRIDE in, not gripe about.

Surely Glenn would not even fathom dropping it for good! My goodness, it was their very first hit! It means more to me than Hotel California and is definitely a defining Eagles song! And Glenn not doing another of his songs is beyond comprehension! :headscratch:

Glenn, say it ain't so!

We might need to get up a petition or something if we feel it could help. :hmm: This really upsets me.

ETA: Tk, I'm sorry to hijack your fun night here, but I just can't ignore this!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 03:28 PM
They can't possibly drop it for 'real' concerts (i.e. those over an hour). If they do, that would be the best possible way to get their fans in an uproar. I know none of us here fit into the 'casual fan' or 'normal fan' category, but the tweets I saw this morning pretty much all commented that TIE had gone missing. It was noticed.

This song is the cornerstone of their entire catalog. Everything they've done since, as a band and as solo artists was built on top of this song.

I don't want to criticize their decision, after all, they are the experts. I have no concept of what it would be like to sing a song for forty+ years. I've heard Glenn's remarks at his solo shows and how he's going to attempt to sing the song like he's 23 and it's still new. I wish that as a 64-year-old he could see that to the fans, it's far more than a song. It's a lost culture, it's a feeling that had been forgotten, it's being given your youth back, if only for a few minutes. People my age and older are young again, and younger fans get nostalgic for a time they didn't get to experience first hand.

There are standards that I love, but this song IS the American Songbook. I'm kinda glad I wasn't able to make the trip to NYC for the show. I think I would have cried.

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 03:38 PM
This reminds me of Glenn dropping it in Niagara for the first time, and his recent weird intro of it where he says something to the effect of "If I knew I'd have to play this song for the rest of my life, I would've written something different."

Hey, that's Joe's line! :eyebrow: And when Joe says it, it's funny. I think he usually says it before RMW, but he may have used it for other songs as well. The point is, it's a joke! Joe knows that he's always going to do RMW, and Glenn knows that he (Eagles) will always have to do TIE. This was a special, shortened show, and a chance for them to not do it for once. As upset as I would have been if I went and didn't hear it, I don't think we should panic. I'm sure it was an exception.

Topkat
11-16-2012, 03:46 PM
VA, I totally agree with everything you said here. When TIE wasn't played, I assumed it would be the encore, which is where it should be, but that was it...It was OVER!! And, yes, people were talking about it... UPSET:sad:
Maybe they intended to do it as the encore, & somehow that just didn't happen??? I didn't know....How could they not play their very first hit song???As for me, that wasn't the only song that I missed.
We were told in advance that the show would be 1 hour, so they did just that. The ticket prices were high, but it was a benefit, so it is what it is.

I'm glad I went just the same. I mean it took me 15 minutes to get there, & the Beacon is an awesome theater. The acoustics are fantastic, the sound was perfect. I had a pretty good seat, even though it wasn't like being in the front row.The guys were spot on, so I can't really complain.

It will be less painful for me that I won't be going to Vegas. I can't spend another $1500. for the 1 1/2 hr show. It's just too much money. I'm going to have to wait for the 40th Anniversary, Ummm 41st Anniversary Tour. Yeah, I think Don did make some kind of crack about that in his small talk!! I guess this will have to hold me over until then.

Luckily, when I got home, I watched Joe on Live at Daryl's house, so I did get some more Joe last night!:smitten:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 03:59 PM
Obviously, only playing an hour, a lot of songs had to be left out, staples of their show. However, TIE was the only one mentioned in the tweets.

As noted in the article, the concert helped raise over $1 million towards scholarships.

Freypower
11-16-2012, 05:10 PM
First off, I'm glad you had a good time TK and thanks for reporting back so soon.

However....

For a start, TIE is longer than 2 minutes.

I feel that far too much has been made of this. I wanted to read about the performance & all I have read is that they didn't play TIE. The grim reality is that when they drop songs, they tend to drop Glenn's songs. I have already seen him do a show where he didin't play it. This was not a proper concert performance.

TK, you knew it was only going to be an hour before you went, so I'm not sure what all the 'easy gig' stuff is about & disappointment that they didn't play more.

Topkat
11-16-2012, 05:37 PM
FB, If you read my post, I did say that they sounded fantastic, the place had great acoustics, & that I was glad that I went. I was only surprised that they didn't play TIE, as was most other people there. It was an enjoyable show & we knew it was going to be 1 hour....I was not disappointed. I'm very glad I went & got to see the guys because I won't be going to the Vegas show!!
I think you misinterpreted my review..Like I said the hour just seemed to go really fast. I guess time flies when you are watching the Eagles perform!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 06:04 PM
I never thought of it as 'yet another song sung by Glenn removed'. I guess because the reality is the others (except for Timothy) had their songs removed as well. Glenn sang 4, Don sang 4, Joe sang 2, and Timothy 1. Doing it up like a scorecard doesn't seem right.

Freypower
11-16-2012, 06:19 PM
But all the emphasis has been on Take It Easy.

It was good to read about Glenn's involvement with the students, though.

Topkat
11-16-2012, 06:36 PM
But all the emphasis has been on Take It Easy.

It was good to read about Glenn's involvement with the students, though.

Not really by me. Some other people on here seemed pretty upset about it as well. I'm sure that it is not a permanent removal from the set list, but just for the shorter show. They can't do everything in 1 hour, it's just not possible.

Also, like I said it could have been planned for an encore & then it just didn't happen. They had these buses outside waiting to take people to some after party, so maybe that is the reason they didn't do the encore...Who knows??

Freypower
11-16-2012, 06:43 PM
Given that they always play Desperado last (something with which I completely disagree), if TIE had been included it would have been before Desperado.So it appears it was deliberately dropped.

Perhaps it should be said that doing TITTL & Desperado at the end of the show with an orchestra is what Glenn has been doing, excpet that Glenn then did On The Way Home & TIE. But as I said, the Eagles don't do TIE last.

timfan
11-16-2012, 07:15 PM
Who knows why but I don't think the fact that they dropped TIE from a VERY abbreviated show should lead us to belive that they are dropping it permanently. The fact is they were likely told they had an hour and ONLY an hour so had to severely cut the songs.. Now if I had been putting together the set list I would have switched How Long for TIE.. Start with TIE end with Desperado.

sodascouts
11-16-2012, 07:37 PM
Hey, that's Joe's line! :eyebrow: And when Joe says it, it's funny. I think he usually says it before RMW, but he may have used it for other songs as well. The point is, it's a joke! Joe knows that he's always going to do RMW, and Glenn knows that he (Eagles) will always have to do TIE. This was a special, shortened show, and a chance for them to not do it for once. As upset as I would have been if I went and didn't hear it, I don't think we should panic. I'm sure it was an exception.

Yeah, Glenn credits Joe for that line ("As my friend Joe says..."). I've heard Joe say it as well and IIRC he's making a joke about not being able to hit the notes for ITC usually - like he wouldn't have written such high notes. Glenn's wasn't in that context.

I feel that far too much has been made of this. I wanted to read about the performance & all I have read is that they didn't play TIE.

I hope all this concern is unwarranted, but it exists nonetheless because no matter how you slice it, it's an odd choice to cut that song.

I also think it is very valid to note and discuss such a thing, and I will continue to do so. Sorry if that displeases anyone.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-16-2012, 07:53 PM
OK---just a few thoughts.
1) thanks Tk for taking the time to post a review for what sounded like it was a very unique and one of a kind concert expierence.;-)
Glad you went and greatful you posted.

2)VA...thanks for the pictures and the terrific articles about Glenn and NYU and the student.So cool to find that he feels like he is fufilling a need (something that wasnt available to him in his day) JMO. He has a god given talent and he is sharing it . YOu are susposta share your gifts from god with others. (Again JMO)

3)JAHH and I had seen the eagles twice in one week . we saw them in philly and they did two encores., When we saw them two days later in AC...we only got one encore and we always thought it was because someone threw a hugh buch of flowers on to the stage right at TBS and he had to duck to avoid getting hit. Maybe something happen that the audience wasnt aware of that made them have a last minute change.

4) I think you always will have someone dissapointed . as tk said...she knew it was an hour and a special kinda thing and it took her no travel time to get there so it was a no brainer to go. I think she witnessed history.

5) and lets face it..lol no matter how long they play for , for us die hard eagle fans, the time they get to play is never long enough:yay::smile:

again...all of the above is jmo:smile:

VAisForEagleLovers
11-16-2012, 08:01 PM
If I read it right (never a given) or there was no typo in the story, it seems as though Don did two shows last night (see the Don in the Press thread). So it could be that if things were running tight and TIE was the last song before the orchestra came on, it was a game-time decision, so to speak, to drop it. Maybe.

The other things not discussed from the article are that there are firm plans for the Eagles to record together or do a full tour, but all of that may be in the works. The discussion Glenn said would take place in Sept. now is slated for the 'next few days'. I'm wondering if it's possible, since this was to be a 'solo year' if plans for the tour are being held up by wanting to give Don time to release his album and tour a bit for it? Does that make sense to others?

I did like what I read about Glenn saying that working with the students has energized him and "It'll be interesting to see where my next batch of songs comes from." I love the idea of AH2, but new material would be better (he can always do both... :grin: )

Tiffanny Twisted
11-16-2012, 08:14 PM
I vote for both or all of hte above :yay::yay:

Freypower
11-16-2012, 09:04 PM
If I read it right (never a given) or there was no typo in the story, it seems as though Don did two shows last night (see the Don in the Press thread). So it could be that if things were running tight and TIE was the last song before the orchestra came on, it was a game-time decision, so to speak, to drop it. Maybe.

The other things not discussed from the article are that there are firm plans for the Eagles to record together or do a full tour, but all of that may be in the works. The discussion Glenn said would take place in Sept. now is slated for the 'next few days'. I'm wondering if it's possible, since this was to be a 'solo year' if plans for the tour are being held up by wanting to give Don time to release his album and tour a bit for it? Does that make sense to others?

I did like what I read about Glenn saying that working with the students has energized him and "It'll be interesting to see where my next batch of songs comes from." I love the idea of AH2, but new material would be better (he can always do both... :grin: )

Agreed.

Freypower
11-16-2012, 09:07 PM
Yeah, Glenn credits Joe for that line ("As my friend Joe says..."). I've heard Joe say it as well and he's making a joke about not being able to hit the notes for ITC usually - like he wouldn't have written such high notes. Glenn's wasn't in that context.

I hope all this concern is unwarranted, but it exists nonetheless because no matter how you slice it, it's an odd choice to cut that song.

I also think it is very valid to note and discuss such a thing, and I will continue to do so. Sorry if that displeases anyone.

It is valid to note it but this was not a proper show & to turn it into a 'please don't drop TIE' fest seemed to me a disproportionate reaction. And I may be a cynic, but as I already said, when songs are dropped, Glenn seems to want to drop HIS songs rather than anyone else's. Why not The Long Run or Walk Away? Why not, indeed. Glenn doesn't sing those songs.

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 09:20 PM
Yeah, Glenn credits Joe for that line ("As my friend Joe says..."). I've heard Joe say it as well and he's making a joke about not being able to hit the notes for ITC usually - like he wouldn't have written such high notes. Glenn's wasn't in that context.

Not to beat a dead horse and take this thread even further off topic, but I wanted to show the context in which Joe used that line. It's at the very beginning.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcveyL_7xn8

Topkat
11-17-2012, 08:22 AM
If it was a time thing & a song had to be dropped, the song shouldn't have been TIE. If they didn't perform, How Long, or The Long Run, nobody would have even noticed it or blinked!! Dropping TIE is still a big NO, NO, & we want Glenn to know that we missed that song & it is an ICONIC SONG, that should not be the one to be dropped.

Anyway, my new boots were great & really comfy & they looked good too!!:)
So I can thank the Eagles for my new boots!!!

Topkat
11-17-2012, 01:04 PM
Here's another article on the show at the Beacon Theater

http://cityroom.blogs.nytimes.com/2012/11/12/glenn-frey-by-barron/

WalshFan88
11-17-2012, 06:56 PM
For me HC and TIE are two songs that are not droppable IMO... I would be livid if I went to a show and not heard them... I was somewhat upset when I saw them in 2008 and didn't hear Already Gone. I cannot imagine how disappointed and agitated I would have been not to hear HC, and even TIE for that matter. Those are the two Eagles classics, of their respective eras. You don't mess with those. Dropping songs like AG is bad enough.

Ive always been a dreamer
11-17-2012, 08:05 PM
First of all, thanks for the review, TK. I'm glad you enjoyed yourself and you are very lucky to have been able to see a special show like this. And I'm definitely with those of you about TIE (and Hotel California) should never be dropped from an Eagles show under any circumstance. I get the feeling that Glenn is half joking when he uses Joe's joke about being tired of playing the song. And even if he isn't he just needs to suck it up. :wink: It is a MUST HAVE!!!

It is valid to note it but this was not a proper show & to turn it into a 'please don't drop TIE' fest seemed to me a disproportionate reaction. And I may be a cynic, but as I already said, when songs are dropped, Glenn seems to want to drop HIS songs rather than anyone else's. Why not The Long Run or Walk Away? Why not, indeed. Glenn doesn't sing those songs.

Well FP - Whatever your feelings are, your first post in particular seemed to be very condescending and judgmental. You are entitled to your feelings, but so is everyone else here. If folks want to express their opinions about this, they have every right to do so. What seems disproportionate to me here is the number of times you reprimand others if they say something that displeases you. Whether you intend it or not, it gets a bit tiresome, IMHO.

Topkat
11-17-2012, 08:14 PM
I posted a few videos on my FB page. They are not my videos, but the girl sitting next to me. They are not on YouTube, as far as I know. The video is not so great because the camera police were out there, but the sound is pretty good.

11-18-2012, 01:26 PM
One other thing I meant to mention is that it looks like Will was with the band in NY after being MIA for Glenn's recent solo gigs. The pictures are a little small, but it looks like Will in them to me. Can you confirm this, TK?

GlennLover
11-18-2012, 02:45 PM
One other thing I meant to mention is that it looks like Will was with the band in NY after being MIA for Glenn's recent solo gigs. The pictures are a little small, but it looks like Will in them to me. Can you confirm this, TK?

I looks like Will to me too. Hope so!

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 03:31 PM
I'd lay odds on that being Will #1 as well.

Topkat
11-18-2012, 03:39 PM
Yes, I didn't get that great view of him, but I'm pretty sure it was Will!!!:thumbsup:

Freypower
11-18-2012, 05:59 PM
Well FP - Whatever your feelings are, your first post in particular seemed to be very condescending and judgmental. You are entitled to your feelings, but so is everyone else here. If folks want to express their opinions about this, they have every right to do so. What seems disproportionate to me here is the number of times you reprimand others if they say something that displeases you. Whether you intend it or not, it gets a bit tiresome, IMHO.

I did not mean to sound condescending or judgmental. I simply thought that all the 'please don't drop TIE' posts were an overreaction to the band dropping it presumably as a one-off in what was not even a full length show. It was me who used to be upset about this sort of thing but I'm afraid that this time I wasn't surprised.

StephUK
11-18-2012, 07:57 PM
I looks like Will to me too. Hope so!

That's my darling Will for certain. Glad to see him back where he belongs!!!

GlennLover
11-18-2012, 08:30 PM
That's my darling Will for certain. Glad to see him back where he belongs!!!

:yay:

11-18-2012, 10:45 PM
Glad to see Will was there!

I did not mean to sound condescending or judgmental. I simply thought that all the 'please don't drop TIE' posts were an overreaction to the band dropping it presumably as a one-off in what was not even a full length show. It was me who used to be upset about this sort of thing but I'm afraid that this time I wasn't surprised.

Julie - I don't think you were intentionally being condescending or judgmental, but the tone of your post sure came across that way. This criticism is not intended to be mean-spirited, but rather contructive to just make you aware of how these kind of posts can be perceived by others. None of us is perfect, and it's useful for all of us to think about how we communicate on the board. It's hard to convey the proper message sometimes without the benefit of body language. :thumbsup:

Topkat
11-18-2012, 11:03 PM
I still think TIE should not have been dropped, even if it was a short show...
They could have easily dropped something else, like The Long Run, WW or How Long. Any of those being dropped would be ok for me.
No matter how short the show is, TIE should be included.
In fact, I wouldn't even mind if they dropped Desperado..
When I hear that first note, I know it's ending, & I immediately get depressed!
End the show with Take It Easy....SHOCK US !:hilarious:

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 11:14 PM
Seriously. TIE is one of the two songs that people expect. Anything else would have been a preferable drop, with the exception of Hotel California.

ETA: they could have dropped the JAMES GANG song! "So, we only have an hour. Shall we play our iconic Top-20 hit or shall we play a minor hit by our guitarist's old band?" Geez Louise!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-18-2012, 11:17 PM
Walk Away, which since they've been performing it as a band since the mid-70's, I'm not sure it can be considered 'solo'.

sodascouts
11-18-2012, 11:19 PM
Yeah, I went back and edited my post accordingly; it's not solo, it's James Gang.

zeldabjr
11-18-2012, 11:44 PM
I'd love to have been a fly on the wall when they discussed what songs to do for a one hour show!...

Prettymaid
11-19-2012, 08:32 AM
Yeah, how dare they not ask us! ;-)

I agree with FP. We can discuss it all we want, but I don't think they would drop it in a 'regular' show.

TimothyBFan
11-19-2012, 08:51 AM
WOW--- I was missing from here all weekend and have to admit, on Friday when I read TK's review and saw no TIE I thought WOW, what a weird song to drop but then I thought, well it is only 1 hour & it will be back in a full or even in Vegas Saturday (haven't looked to see if we have a setlist from Vegas in that thread yet). Gotta admit, I'm kind of amazed by the 5 or 6 pages of discussion here about it. I tend to agree with PM, FP & TF that tho very strange that they would drop one of the 2 songs everyone expects to hear when you see the Eagles, it's probably not permanent and we shouldn't worry too much about it. JMO!

Brooke
11-19-2012, 11:27 AM
Seriously. TIE is one of the two songs that people expect. Anything else would have been a preferable drop, with the exception of Hotel California.

ETA: they could have dropped the JAMES GANG song! "So, we only have an hour. Shall we play our iconic Top-20 hit or shall we play a minor hit by our guitarist's old band?" Geez Louise!

Amen, sista! :thumbsup:

ETA: I think I'm the one that started the whole sorry discussion and I'm sorry it took over this thread, but I just couldn't ignore it. Take It Easy should never be left out of their show, no matter how short it is! If they only play two songs, it should be one of them! Good grief, guys! Rant over!

And Tk, I'm glad you enjoyed the show even so!

VAisForEagleLovers
11-19-2012, 11:43 AM
Yes, I'm not really worried about them dropping TIE from the setlist for a regular concert (although we tend to dream the things we fear and I dreamed they did exactly that the other night). I totally get that this was a special one-hour show, and I get that they had to have TITTL and Desperado with the orchestra. I still don't get why they dropped this song. All of them except Timothy had songs dropped, and even if they were looking to keep it 'even', it bothers me that this song was one that elected to be dropped. I'm hoping it was on the setlist and scheduled to be before the orchestra came on, they were running behind, and had to drop it at the very last minute. I don't have a warm fuzzy that's the case. Like others have said and I totally agree, if they ever get to the point where they do a 'show' and can only do two songs, this needs to be one of them.

It's their first single off their first album. Glenn has talked so much about really learning how to write songs while living with Jackson, and this song is a product of that. While they have said they didn't decide to reunite due to the Travis Tritt video, the video got them back into people's hearts and minds as a group that could get back together, and that had Irv putting the pressure on even more, and as we all know, TIE was the song in the video.

11-19-2012, 11:56 AM
Amen, sista! :thumbsup:

ETA: I think I'm the one that started the whole sorry discussion and I'm sorry it took over this thread, but I just couldn't ignore it. Take It Easy should never be left out of their show, no matter how short it is! If they only play two songs, it should be one of them! Good grief, guys! Rant over!

And Tk, I'm glad you enjoyed the show even so!

Couldn't agree with you more. And the fact that the discussion took over this thread only extenuates how passionately many of us feel about this.

And VA - you make an excellent point about the Travis Tritt video. :thumbsup:

sodascouts
11-19-2012, 11:59 AM
Exactly. No other song omission would have taken over a thread, except for HC. There's just something very wrong about cutting TIE.

I still say cut the James Gang song, but if they had to keep Glenn's number down, Lyin Eyes would have saved twice the time.

Brooke
11-19-2012, 02:44 PM
I hadn't thought about the TT video! Excellent point VA!

I would agree with cutting the James Gang song, too.

GlennLover
11-19-2012, 03:09 PM
As I posted on the thread for Eagles in Las Vegas, Nov 15, this sites states that they played TIE http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/2012/mgm-grand-garden-arena-las-vegas-nv-6bdaf6d6.html. No idea if this site is reliable. Hope so!

Topkat
11-19-2012, 04:03 PM
That looks like the Atlantic City set list, even though I don't have it in front of me, I'm pretty sure that was it.

If the Eagles Play 2 songs, as they did at the R&R HOF induction, it better be TIE & HC. Those are the 2 songs that made them icons & they better not forget it!!! No dropping TIE; you can drop anything else you like boys but not these 2 songs! Get it , Got it, Good!

Freypower
11-19-2012, 04:19 PM
My choice for 'if they HAVE to drop a song' is The Long Run, a sentiment in which as far as I know I am alone.

Thanks to those who at least saw my point that this was a one-off, not a regular show, but that is where I am leaving it.

11-19-2012, 09:38 PM
If the Eagles Play 2 songs, as they did at the R&R HOF induction, it better be TIE & HC. Those are the 2 songs that made them icons & they better not forget it!!! No dropping TIE; you can drop anything else you like boys but not these 2 songs! Get it , Got it, Good!

Well like I said in the other thread where GL posted the setlist, these guys sure don't want to get us Borderers up in arms! :lol:

And yeah - I'm pretty sure that is the same as the AC setlist.

Topkat
11-20-2012, 12:00 AM
Now that I'm home, I just checked the set list. It is the same as AC, in very slightly different order, a few songs moved up or down 1 spot, but all the same songs

VAisForEagleLovers
11-20-2012, 12:57 PM
Another article about the gala...

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/ataglance/2012/11/nyu-steinhardt-vision-award-gala.html

Topkat
11-20-2012, 04:57 PM
I haven't said anything thus far, as I didn't really want to be negative, but I have to say that I thought the students were not very good. One of the songs was decent, one of the vocalist actually gave me a headache & I couldn't wait for them to leave the stage, & it was not just in anticipation of seeing the Eagles, it was because they were pretty terrible!:nausea:

I'm not sure that songwriting is an art that can be taught. Most great songwriters have been doing it since they were very young. I think either you have it or you don't....This is just my opinion. It's nice that they offer these classes at NYU, but if these students were the best of them, they have a long way to go!! I don't think many of the great songwriters of previous generations took classes in songwriting.. JMHO!

Freypower
11-20-2012, 05:10 PM
I think it's admirable that Glenn has chosen to pass on his expertise to others.

VAisForEagleLovers
11-20-2012, 05:17 PM
I would think that perhaps nerves played a part of their performance. I can't remember which of the three is from DC, but I've heard good things about previous performances.

Topkat
11-20-2012, 05:43 PM
I would think that perhaps nerves played a part of their performance. I can't remember which of the three is from DC, but I've heard good things about previous performances.

VA, It wasn't just the performance & the vocals, it was the songs themselves that were not very good....Now that's always a matter of opinion, & I'm sure their parents loved the songs, but as songwriters, they have a way to go...

Yes, it is nice that Glenn offers his talent at the school & I'm sure he will inspire them to explore their talents, so hopefully some successful songwriters will emerge from the group in the future.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-21-2012, 09:00 AM
Another article about the gala...

http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/ataglance/2012/11/nyu-steinhardt-vision-award-gala.html
thanks va . i think the whol concept of what they did was amazing.
I love people who "think outside the box" .
i JUST THINK IT WAS A WIN WIN SITUATION..RAISED A LOT OF MONEY FOR SCHOLORSHIPS AND JUST SOUNDED LIKE A FUN EVENING .