PDA

View Full Version : JOE on Live at Daryl's House

Topkat
11-16-2012, 08:38 AM
When I got home from the Eagles show last night, I watched this & I was totally WOWED! Joe & Daryl sounded awesome together!.

They started with Rocky Mountain Way which sounded great, Daryl sang a verse & it was a great guitar jam...This is what I miss about concerts these days, those long guitar jams. Joe talked a little about his first guitar that was ordered from the Sears catalogue.
Next up Life's Been Good with Daryl also singing along. They looked like they were having a great time. Then Joe talks about how manufactured music is today & the digital age has taken over.
Next was Wrecking Ball...Love that song!
Then they cooked up some Mexican food. The chef wants to hire Joe!!
After lunch they played Somebody Like You. I'm not that familiar with this song, but Daryl had his beautiful soulful voice & Joe played some awesome guitar on this!
During lunch Joe talked about his musical influences from the 50's. Next up: Funk 49!! Loved this too! Joe seemed very into playing with these guys.
Then Joe talks about the new album.....Next up. Wrong Side of History. Joe backed up Daryl on this one with some nice guitar. Joe ended with saying he had a great time with the guys & talked about writing with Daryl some time in the future....Well that sounds good to me!!
Loved the entire show:yay:

Prettymaid
11-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Sounds fun! I'm going to watch it as soon as I get a chance.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2012, 11:55 AM
I have always been a dary l fan but Joe just puts him to shame talent wise.
I ean watch the strummer daryl vs the talented Joe.
He rocked and what a guy.
it s on line for those who dont get the channel on cable,
live from daryls house .com

Topkat
11-17-2012, 12:17 PM

Well, to be fair they did mostly Joe's songs & Daryl is more of a vocalist than a guitar player. Daryl has an amazing voice & is a great songwriter as well. They have different talents. If you watch the series, you can see that Daryl has loads of talent. I think Daryl & Joe would write something incredible if they do work together, which it sounds like Joe wants to do. :)

The show is always geared to feature the guest artist....Seems like Joe & Daryl got along well because prior to this they hardly knew each other.
They also look pretty darn cute together! LOL

zeldabjr
11-17-2012, 12:53 PM
oh I think both are talented in different ways...Joe definitely blows just about anyone away on guitar of course...but Daryl's voice is amazing!...and yeah I think it would be awesome if they wrote together...but hopefully the Eagles are gonna keep Joe very busy this next year and he won't have any free time for Daryl:)

Tiffanny Twisted
11-17-2012, 02:18 PM
Yes I am veruy much aware of DH's talent.
I am just saying....I think JOe was beyond words.
I mean if you watch dh singing with celo green hearing him sing FU just doenst fit,lol

but this takes off topic if we talk about this dh and not joe who was supurb:thumbsup:

Topkat
11-17-2012, 06:38 PM
The thing I love about Daryl's House is the casual atmosphere, & the loose feel of the show. You can tell that Joe was really relaxed & really let it rip on the guitar, much more so than he does with the Eagles. I think the Eagles constrict Joe's guitar playing. He was just amazing here, I mean he's always amazing but even more amazing, if you know what I mean.

I just mean that it was a free atmosphere where Joe was able to do his thing, without the constrictions of the tight ship that is the Eagles. The Eagles are somehow starting to sound almost too polished & too perfect. I like the impromptu of his performance here.
I hope I am expressing this right. I would love to hear Austin's take on this. Austin, where are you?:headscratch:

WalshFan88
11-17-2012, 06:51 PM
Joe definitely does more improv solo vs the Eagles.

I agree about the current Eagles being very polished, although I do like the fact that they sound like their records. They are one of the only bands that truly always play their classic parts live rather than just improvising them. I cannot imagine HC solos' being redone. I'd have a coronary. But there is a point when it is too glossy. I think there is a fine line there and I think doing those classic songs exact but then having some "jam time" like they used to do (I got to hear this in 2008 when they did longer shows and long intros to songs like Funk #49) is really perfect. JMO.

That said, I love improvisation but I also like hearing songs like I've heard them before and I can't imagine them playing it anyway other than the way it was recorded. I like hearing those classic fills and solos and parts done like I've heard them. I don't mind them improv'ing on some songs that aren't so "classic" in the guitar realm. Like Hotel California, that song is truly a masterpiece. Changing that song is sacrilegious. One could say the same for Take It Easy.

On HFO, Joe did the right thing with TIE by playing that classic solo note for note, and then later in the song doing his own thing. I like that. But I don't like trying to redo those classic solos and parts I've heard for years and that I consider great. Adding on is fine, changing a classic solo is NOT. I was pretty upset to see they changed Already Gone on F1... Glenn's solo is one of my favorite Eagles solos, next to HC. I don't care how good the improvisation is - it really should have been done like in the past.

But getting back to the topic of Joe solo vs with the Eagles - I think he knows solo people really want to have his guitar playing front and center and really hear him play. Where as with the Eagles, I think it's more about the songs and the performance rather than extended guitar soloing and jamming. I enjoy both.

Topkat
11-17-2012, 08:08 PM
I get what your saying Austin, but these last 2 shows I saw in NY & AC were both extremely tight & no improv. I agree that some songs need that, but Joe's songs need a bit more. I guess I'm old school when it comes to this stuff because in the old days, concerts went on until 2 or 3 AM, with lots of guitar work, I'm not talking about the Eagles here, because I only saw them once in the 70's & I don't really remember the show that well, but concerts in general were a lot looser than they are today....I like the element of the additional stuff that you don't get on the recording. It's what makes a live show...more Live, less perfect...different than listening to a recording. I guess the best example with the Eagles is some of the stuff on YouTube of Joe with Felder. I guess I like it better when it's not exactly like the recording. I can turn up my cd player & hear it that way... I want more than that...I want them REALLY FEELIN' IT...not just going through the motions.

I think at Daryl's house, Joe was able to do more of that stuff & I think he likes to do it, just kind of go with it. Here he's working with different musicians & it felt pretty much like you're sitting right there in a jam session.

Thanks for your input Austin!:rockguitar:

sodascouts
11-17-2012, 09:13 PM
I like it when they embellish on the songs live. It makes it special. One of the coolest things is when the artist adds lyrics. Stevie does that all the time.

That said, I don't like it when they change the song so much it's unrecognizable. See Henley's "Hotel California" from his Inside Job DVD to get an example of going way too far (Austin, I recommend you never listen to that version). On the other hand, his re-arrangement of "End of the Innocence" for his 2006 tour was incredible and gave me chills.

Glenn's new arrangements of "The Heat Is On" and the not-so-new-anymore re-arrangement of "Smuggler's Blues" are good as a novelty but then they wear out their welcome in my ears after a couple listens and I'm ready to rock again. I know not everyone feels the same way.

It's a risk. When it's good, it's very, very good. When it's bad, it's horrid.

Topkat
11-17-2012, 09:26 PM
I don't think the song should change that much, just like you said Soda, "Embellish" the song & make it longer & more interesting. I don't necessarily like them to change the lyrics, but to add some guitar solos, or riffs, just make it a little different than on the album...I guess that's why I love the version of HC on HFO because it's a little different....I know Austin hates that one, but I LOVE IT & I haven't heard that disaster Don did, so I can't comment on it!

It's a concert, not a recording session.....

WalshFan88
11-17-2012, 11:35 PM
It's a concert, not a recording session.....

True, but I also go to a concert so I can hear those classic solos be played and have them sound like they are known and to see the ending solos. I can't imagine not having that. I really irks me when bands change up classic songs. I want to hear them play those classic songs live the way I've come to know them. I don't want them to go off on some wild tangent or do like they did on Already Gone for F1. That's just not right.

Like I said, an example of embellishment I'm ok with is Take It Easy on HFO. Joe played that classic solo, and then at the end of the song had a nice guitar jam. That's good. But if he had tried to do something different with that classic solo, then yeah, I'd have a problem with it.

I guess I've just come to expect that with the Eagles. It doesn't bother me quite as much with other bands but it still bothers me when they redo a solo that is so well known. When you have something that well known or a true masterpiece guitar part, why in the world would you change it. I guess I just like hearing those special parts done exact, and then add to it. But to replace it with something else entirely is wrong IMO especially if it is known as being a famous guitar part for the band, or for all time.

For me it boils down to "you don't mess with perfection". Hotel Cali being a perfect example of said perfection.

Topkat
11-18-2012, 09:27 AM
Austin, I'll agree that certain iconic guitar solos shouldn't be messed, with but it would be OK to add some stuff at certain parts or at the end or extend some guitar parts...I'm not an expert on guitar, but I do like to hear a little embellishment. It just makes it a little unpredictable, something that you won't hear exactly the same EVERY SINGLE TIME....because I think the Eagles have become that, just SAME EXACT THING, different night.... It is like they are on Auto Pilot.... For fans that see them a lot, it's just TOO predictable. I mean the tickets are over $200, & paying that to see the same exact thing is a little upsetting...
The minute I hear the first note of Desperado, I know the show is OVER....
I do hate that! They need to mix it up a little bit.

I'm hoping the Anniversary Tour will have at least SOME SURPRISES!!!

Ive always been a dreamer
11-18-2012, 01:10 PM
... It just makes it a little unpredictable, something that you won't hear exactly the same EVERY SINGLE TIME....because I think the Eagles have become that, just SAME EXACT THING, different night.... It is like they are on Auto Pilot.... For fans that see them a lot, it's just TOO predictable. I mean the tickets are over $200, & paying that to see the same exact thing is a little upsetting...
The minute I hear the first note of Desperado, I know the show is OVER....
I do hate that! They need to mix it up a little bit.

I'm hoping the Anniversary Tour will have at least SOME SURPRISES!!!

As we've discussed before, the Eagles shows are very predictable for fans that go to see them a lot. However, each show has its own little nuances and differences that make it special, which is what I think myself and other hardcores really enjoy. But, the thing is, for the huge majority of the audience, seeing an Eagles show is a rare, special occurance, so I don't believe that the predictability factor is a real issue for them.

The band has said they will make changes for the next tour, but it's a sticky situation with them. As we've been talking about in another thread, there are some songs that they just can't drop. They are kind of damned if they do and damned if they don't in some ways. I'm sure they've figured out that you can't please all the people all the time no matter what. :shrug:

GlennLover
11-18-2012, 03:15 PM

Glad that you mentioned that it is online, TT, because I missed it! I have only had time to watch part of it online so far, but what I have seen I love!

Topkat
11-18-2012, 03:17 PM
Dreamer, I have to disagree with you here. I am a big fan, but I haven't seen them THAT often, but to me the songs are sounding exactly the same & too predictable. Seems like they have been doing the same show for a few years now. For example, if you saw them say 3 years ago & then now, it's the same. Yes, there are little nuances that make it very slightly different, but not enough to make me see it again....They need to makes some changes & they said the new tour will be different, so I hope that is the case & I will go see the new tour, but to pay to go see the same show again in Vegas isn't worth it to me.

This started out as talking about Joe on Daryl's house, so I'm getting back to that. My point was that Joe sounded more free in this environment than he is with the Eagles, & even in his own solo shows & had a chance to jam a little & do something a little different...work with different people & I enjoyed that, so I was just making a comparison to how Joe plays with the Eagles as opposed to this environment. It's all good.:eyebrow:

Tiffanny Twisted
11-18-2012, 08:53 PM
gl
g;ad to be of help.

I am a daryl fan but I still think JOe was way on top of the game in this show.

Tiffanny Twisted
11-18-2012, 08:55 PM
Well, to be fair they did mostly Joe's songs & Daryl is more of a vocalist than a guitar player. Daryl has an amazing voice & is a great songwriter as well. They have different talents. If you watch the series, you can see that Daryl has loads of talent. I think Daryl & Joe would write something incredible if they do work together, which it sounds like Joe wants to do. :)

The show is always geared to feature the guest artist....Seems like Joe & Daryl got along well because prior to this they hardly knew each other.
They also look pretty darn cute together! LOL

Ye4ah...I believe Daryls main insturment was the keyboard..
thats why he is a "strummer" vs the way that JOe plays.
Sometimes when its your show...u have to let your guests run with whatt heir talent is I think Joe put it ove the top:partytime::partytime:

Topkat
11-23-2012, 05:59 PM
I watched this again yesterday morning when it was replayed. I thought Joe made an interesting comment, that when the song "Sara Smile" hit the airwaves & soared past the Eagles on the charts....Hall & Oates came to one of the Eagles shows & they dedicated, "New Kid in Town" to them....
Just thought that was an interesting bit of info

zeldabjr
11-23-2012, 10:24 PM
I watched this again yesterday morning when it was replayed. I thought Joe made an interesting comment, that when the song "Sara Smile" hit the airwaves & soared past the Eagles on the charts....Hall & Oates came to one of the Eagles shows & they dedicated, "New Kid in Town" to them....
Just thought that was an interesting bit of info

Sara Smile is my favorite Hall and Oates song!...love it!!!

sodascouts
03-22-2013, 07:39 PM
Dreamer's niece wanted to make sure I posted this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dPV6nKrhOGg

johnnycomelately89
04-16-2014, 01:00 AM
i saw this on LVDH when they first uploaded it, i don't know why never thought to look for this thread before.... anyways this ROCKS!

I liked seeing Joe's energy with Daryl's. You could tell they are two legends who still are in it because they love playing.

the interviews between songs were cool too, a solid joe interview video on interesting topics is so hard to come by some times.

:headbang: