PDA

View Full Version : Unplugged

DonFan
05-31-2007, 10:51 AM
NEW YORK, May 31 /PRNewswire/ --
The Police, Bon Jovi, Kenny Chesney, Mary J. Blige and John Mayer are among the multi-genre artists planned to break out the critically acclaimed "Unplugged" music franchise for new audiences across MTV, VH1 and CMT. The intimate acoustic performances will roll out in a number of upcoming "Unplugged" specials that could appear on nearly every MTV, VH1 and CMT screen - from the television to the Web to the mobile phone - providing maximum exposure for artists and the ability to cross musical generations and boundaries by connecting with diverse audiences.

MTV's "Unplugged" concert series first debuted in 1989 and is credited with starting an "acoustic revolution" among musicians. Unplugged has received critical acclaim, spotlighting artists including Eric Clapton who won six Grammys including Album of the Year for his Unplugged. Other memorable "MTV Unplugged" performers include: R.E.M., Sting, Pearl Jam, Sheryl Crow, KoRn, Neil Young, Elton John, Bob Dylan, The Cure, Don Henley, LL Cool J, Duran Duran, Alanis Morissette, Jay-Z, Rod Stewart, Lauryn Hill and Paul McCartney.
The first “Unplugged” artist to be shown will be Bon Jovi. Three different versions of "Bon Jovi Unplugged" will premiere on Friday, June 22nd on MTV; Saturday, June 23rd on VH1, VH1 Classic and MHD: Music High-Definition; and on Sunday, June 24th on CMT.

------------------------------------------------
Don's Unplugged is one of my VERY favorite performances--I am so glad they have decided to show the Unplugged series again!

Brooke
05-31-2007, 10:57 AM
Great! Thanks for the info DonFan! I never got to see most of these, so it will be great to finally do so. :D

Ive always been a dreamer
05-31-2007, 01:30 PM
Same here Brooke - I never saw any of them either. I've got to mark my calendar so I'll remember to watch them.

sodascouts
05-31-2007, 02:40 PM
Wasn't HFO initially planned as an episode of Unplugged, hence the more quiet tunes?

I'm glad they're bringing it back, too. It was great. I own the Eric Clapton Unplugged on CD. His performance of "Tears in Heaven" on that gives me chills.

EasyFeeling
05-31-2007, 02:54 PM
What about the German MTV? Anyone? :?

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Just a question which bugs me to this day: why is it that DON HENLEY never bothered to release both his MTV UNPLUGGED SHOW on CD format? Ditto with his VH1 STORYTELLERS when other classic/contemporary rock acts did? Consider Sting, Eric Clapton, Bruce Springsteen, etc. He could have issued these as albums while he was to use his favorite verb plodding along in between his albums which take ages to prepare and release.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-04-2013, 02:12 PM
I'm sure there are multiple reasons and they all make perfect sense to him. That's the only thing I'm sure about!

Our guys have never been ones to follow the herd. In fact, they have a history of being different and always have. I'm not saying this is why he didn't release these, I'm just saying that the fact his contemporaries did it wouldn't have been a consideration for him. I'm sure those who ride the backs of artists to make their money gave him all the great financial reasons to do it, but whatever those arguments were, he felt he had better ones to decide otherwise. Like you, I'd love to know the reasons, but I can't even guess as to what they are. I will say that overexposure and too much commercialization can be a negative thing long term, and it's very possible he couldn't come to an agreement financially. When thinking of the term 'giving in', none of our guys ever pop into my head.

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 08:57 PM
I'm sure there are multiple reasons and they all make perfect sense to him. That's the only thing I'm sure about!

Our guys have never been ones to follow the herd. In fact, they have a history of being different and always have. I'm not saying this is why he didn't release these, I'm just saying that the fact his contemporaries did it wouldn't have been a consideration for him. I'm sure those who ride the backs of artists to make their money gave him all the great financial reasons to do it, but whatever those arguments were, he felt he had better ones to decide otherwise. Like you, I'd love to know the reasons, but I can't even guess as to what they are. I will say that overexposure and too much commercialization can be a negative thing long term, and it's very possible he couldn't come to an agreement financially. When thinking of the term 'giving in', none of our guys ever pop into my head.

Thanks, VK. I wonder though if (since I'm new here) if there is a thread within THE BORDER where fans trade or sell bootlegs of UNPLUGGED and VH1 STORYTELLERS episodes featuring Henley on CD format. This practice is a norm with DMB/Daveheads and Deadheads/Grateful Dead/Pearl Jam fans. Is this an accepted practice here?

I did come across a KTS CD of a Don Henley concert recorded in the Japan - DON HENLEY LIVE - AN EAGLE OUT EAST. Obviously, a bootleg.

Thanks.

sodascouts
01-05-2013, 12:47 AM
I'm never quite sure how it's decided what's released and what isn't, but I highly suspect it had to do with $$$$. Remember that not only Don has to be on board, but also MTV/VH1 and the production company.

gibsonmartin
01-06-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm never quite sure how it's decided what's released and what isn't, but I highly suspect it had to do with $$$$. Remember that not only Don has to be on board, but also MTV/VH1 and the production company.

Thanks, Soda. The puzzling thing is that if you read the liner notes on the first MTV UNPLUGGED CD, no less than the UNPLUGGED producer Alex Colletti credits Henley for starting the trend of UNPLUGGED being a retrospective of the greatest hits of the featured artist. Will share that direct quote shortly. Must be the royalties and professional fees then.

Topkat
01-06-2013, 12:03 PM
Thanks, VK. I wonder though if (since I'm new here) if there is a thread within THE BORDER where fans trade or sell bootlegs of UNPLUGGED and VH1 STORYTELLERS episodes featuring Henley on CD format. This practice is a norm with DMB/Daveheads and Deadheads/Grateful Dead/Pearl Jam fans. Is this an accepted practice here?

I did come across a KTS CD of a Don Henley concert recorded in the Japan - DON HENLEY LIVE - AN EAGLE OUT EAST. Obviously, a bootleg.

Thanks.

I don't think Don would be happy to hear this???? Knowing his take on the music business, I don't think he would like his fans buying or trading:hilarious: BOOTLEGS?? YIKES!!! I can see steam coming out of Don's ears over that one!!!

Freypower
01-06-2013, 04:37 PM
I don't think Don would be happy to hear this???? Knowing his take on the music business, I don't think he would like his fans buying or trading:hilarious: BOOTLEGS?? YIKES!!! I can see steam coming out of Don's ears over that one!!!

It has been around for a long time, so there is nothing he can do about it.

Topkat
01-06-2013, 08:16 PM

I know there's nothing he can do about it, but do we have a thread where we trade or sell bootlegs??? Because if we do. I never knew about it....So where is it, because there are a few bootlegs I'm interested in. I thought that was not done around here, I mean with the way the guys feel about it, but that is all in another thread, isn't it???

sodascouts
01-06-2013, 08:24 PM
There used to be a thread like that but we deleted it after there was some trouble.

Houston Debutante
01-07-2013, 01:13 PM
If this show could be officially released I would be so happy. Don looked and sounded amazing.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 12:17 PM

Check out Ebay or Amoeba Records or if the site is still there KTS online. That's where I sourced the AN EAGLE OUT EAST CD of Henley's performance in Japan. Another site to check out might be DISCOGS.com