PDA

View Full Version : Hotel Room Security

VAisForEagleLovers
12-06-2012, 04:24 PM
HH and I exchanged some emails about this and I thought it might be a good idea to make sure everyone sees this. I found this a more than a little disturbing! It seems that most room locks/entry methods are made by one manufacturer and that is easily breached.

Not all rooms have safes provided, but those that do, make sure to check if they are magnetized before putting electronics or items that hold data in them. My company recently reminded everyone about this regarding hotel safes. If you put in a memory stick, phone, laptop, tablet, mp3 player/ipod, anything like that, the magnetization will 'reformat' it. If you then take that device and plug it into your computer or your company's network, it will 'reformat' your computer and possibly corrupt and 'reformat' everything on the network that tries to read it.

So, until all hotels have this little issue fixed with the locks, if the safes are magnetized, plan on keeping all electronic devices with you at all times unless you are feeling lucky. With the release of this story, a lot more people will be aware of the vulnerabilities and know how to go make their own device.

http://todaynews.today.com/_news/2012/12/06/15703318-rossen-reports-new-device-lets-crooks-crack-many-hotel-locks

Brooke
12-06-2012, 05:24 PM
Good grief! Good info! Thanks VA!

Glennsallnighter
12-06-2012, 06:21 PM
Thanks VA! I tend to take my iPad and camera with me whenever I go out from a hotel room, but this IS worth knowing.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-06-2012, 06:33 PM
JAHH and I had heard about this back in octg when we were thinking of getting away for a few days...after that we decided to stay home..
thANKS FOR POsting and starting a very important and helfpul thread.