PDA

View Full Version : 121212 Concert for Sandy Relief

Topkat
12-12-2012, 05:50 PM
Don't forget to tune in. The concert will air on LIVE TV & Radio starting promptly at 7:30pm EST...

I believe that Bruce Springsteen will open the show....and Paul McCartney will close the show....In between acts include...The WHO, Rolling Stones, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Eddie Vedder, Roger Waters, Dave Grohl, Bon Jovi, Alicia Keys...Yes, all the British bands are the first ones to sign up to help New Yorkers!!! Love those English guys! They say there will also be several special guest surprises. Many stars presenting the acts to..
Can't wait to watch it!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-12-2012, 06:51 PM
i dont have cable..what channel is it on

Topkat
12-12-2012, 08:27 PM
TT, I am in NY, The channels are different. I think it is on WNET on regular tv, which is 13 here, and on Palladia...I think that several channels are running the show because they are taking donations, so you should be able to find it if you channel surf. It is also live on the web, I'll see of I can find the link

Topkat
12-12-2012, 08:33 PM
Here is the live stream....Just starting now

http://www.spinner.com/2012/12/12/sandy-benefit-stream/

zeldabjr
12-12-2012, 09:09 PM
I love Billy Crystal...

Tiffanny Twisted
12-12-2012, 09:37 PM
thanks found it . did i miss eric clapton yet

Topkat
12-12-2012, 10:03 PM
No, Clapton not on yet. Bon Jovi is rockin' that place! Lookin HOT:thumbsup:

zeldabjr
12-12-2012, 10:07 PM
I loved Eddie Vedder....he's hot!!!

Topkat
12-12-2012, 10:40 PM
Me too Brenda! Love Eddie Vender.
Clapton was just on...Love him!

Grey Sadler
12-12-2012, 10:55 PM
Just one word...

:partytime::partytime::partytime::partytime::party time::partytime:STONES!!!! :partytime::partytime::partytime::partytime::party time:

Tiffanny Twisted
12-12-2012, 11:05 PM
clapton yes

bon jovi yes

great concert:thumbsup:

Topkat
12-12-2012, 11:10 PM
Man MICK was really movin' it:partytime:

Topkat
12-12-2012, 11:12 PM
Now waiting on The WHO
saw them last week...OMG ROGER :nahnah:

Topkat
12-13-2012, 12:07 AM
The WHO did a long set tonight! LOOOVED it!
Reign on Me, Pinball Wizard, See Me Feel Me ..Baba O'Reilly...All my FAVS:thumbsup: Roger sounds amazing & they bring the house down, AS ALWAYS:thumbsup:

Witchy Woman
12-13-2012, 12:18 AM
I dunno, the whole thing seems contrived and kind of boring. The crowd doesn't seem that into it.

Topkat
12-13-2012, 12:24 AM
You have to be there..When the Who perform...It's MAGIC
I saw them last week, Unbelievable show

Tiffanny Twisted
12-13-2012, 07:23 AM
I think they were really into it when Bonjovi performed and then when bruce joined in for whosays you cant go home.

eric was terrific

TimothyBFan
12-13-2012, 08:43 AM
What a wonderful concert with so much rock n roll talent and then there was Kenye West. :hilarious: Oh well!! Rest was awesome. And how about the match ups of Roger Waters and Eddie Vedder and Nirvana and Paul McCartney? How cool was that? It was great seeing Michael Stipe come out unexpectedly and do a song.

But I having a feeling that staying up so late will catch up with me later. But it was so worth it!

Topkat
12-13-2012, 09:11 AM
Yes, it was totally awesome to see Micheal Stipe do Losing My Religion...Love that song...
Well, Paul McCartney was worth waiting up for doing the very unexpected, HELTER SKELTER...That was great, & they really rocked it out...Paul pulled out some rarely played song this time & didn't do the usual stuff...Like that he really mixed it up.
Overall an amazing show that raised tons of money. (except for Kayne West, who I was surprised was there because he didn't fit in with this all star line up of talent)
I also especially enjoyed Billy Joel, who I sometimes forget just how good he is!

TimothyBFan
12-13-2012, 09:26 AM
Totally agree about the different stuff that Paul did last night. Love Let Me Roll It and Nineteen Hundred Eighty Five! :thumbsup:

I also tend to forget some of the good stuff that Billy Joel does. I'm not a real fan of his but he definitely has some great stuff.

Here's a cool link from Billboard that has the whole setlist from last night.

http://www.billboard.com/news/12-12-12-concert-for-sandy-relief-setlist-1008050292.story#/news/12-12-12-concert-for-sandy-relief-setlist-1008050292.story

eaglesvet
12-13-2012, 09:54 AM
HI everyone,
I haven't yet watched the whole show, because I was out for the first part of it, so I'm watching it on DVR...but what I've seen so far is awesome! As you might expect, the hometown talent is really where it's at for me! Bruce and the E Streeters were HOT...I thought that was a great setlist to start the show. And Bon Jovi is looking and sounding good, too! I haven't made it yet to Billy Joel or Paul McCartney, but now I know I have something to look forward to.

My home is is north-central Jersey, so we didn't see nearly the destruction that folks down the shore did. We did, however, have many trees down in town, that took down power lines for up to 2 weeks in some neighborhoods. My house was without power for 10 days. So last night's concert was actually the first time I had a chance to see much of the video showing the destruction along the coastline. It was kind of surreal, living through the massive storm, hearing about it on the little battery-powered transistor radio, and just imagining what it must look like. Once power and Internet were restored, I did take some time to find some still images, but it's not the same as news video. I'll write more in "Hurricane Sandy" thread that I assume exists.

Brooke
12-13-2012, 10:32 AM
Ev, glad to hear from you and that you are ok from the storm!

I loved the concert! Especially Bon Jovi, Bruce, and the Stones!

All I can say is MICK! :partytime:

He was on fire with his moves last night! Amazing for his age! :thumbsup:

I dvr'd starting at 10, so will have to watch the rest tonight!

Tiffanny Twisted
12-13-2012, 07:27 PM
I enjoyed what I saw. I really like bonjovi 's set and aeric Clapton.
I hope they release it as a dvd and raise even more moner.
I"d be the first in line

Topkat
12-13-2012, 08:39 PM
Apparently Joe was backstage last night...Too bad I missed him
He posted pics with Bruce, Pete Townshend & Paul on Facebook
Will try to post them here later:)

Topkat
12-13-2012, 11:16 PM
Here's Joe backstage...My question? why wasn't he ON stage?

zeldabjr
12-14-2012, 01:31 AM
I know...I was thinking while I was watching...why aren't our guys there?...that would be so cool...and here Joe WAS there...but didn't perform...WHY?:-(

TimothyBFan
12-14-2012, 09:15 AM
Apparently Joe was backstage last night...Too bad I missed him
He posted pics with Bruce, Pete Townshend & Paul on Facebook
Will try to post them here later:)

Hey TK---what do you mean "sorry I missed him". I don't remember seeing him being shown on tv or anything. Did we ALL miss him?

I'm with you guys--- wonder why he didn't perform. It would of been cool to have at least performed a song with maybe Paul or Clapton? Bummer!!

Brooke
12-14-2012, 11:11 AM
I agree, if he was there, why didn't he perform? Strange!

Topkat
12-14-2012, 11:38 AM
TBF, Sorry, that slipped out. I can't post anything about it on a public board..so as not to get anyone in trouble. I don't think Joe was shown on tv.

As for our guys, well yes, they should be at these things, playing, but they never do...How is it that all the big name British bands come over here to play a benefit, but the Eagles don't????

Brooke
12-14-2012, 05:07 PM
I saw the pics on Facebook, too, so I don't think it's a secret.

I wondered, too, why more American bands weren't there when the British ones were.

Freypower
12-14-2012, 05:38 PM
I saw those photos as well.

Henley used to do things like this all the time. The Eagles don't seem to have any interest in them. I suppose I will sound cynical but to me the same old acts turn up ad nauseam. Worthy cause yes, but it has become so predictable for these shows to take place. Perhaps the Eagles don't want to be predictable.

Topkat
12-14-2012, 05:56 PM
Brooke, that's not what I was referring to, but Yes, Joe posted the pics, so it's no secret about him being there...

I don't recall Henley ever doing a benefit like this, only for his interest: Walden Woods, which by the way, on the ticket said that $2.00 from each ticket was going to Walden Woods, & oh Yes, they INCREASED the price of the tickets by $2.00, so he wasn't exactly losing any money...

The Eagles have not done the big benefit shows, where the artists work for free & all money is donated to a worthy charity. Kind of upset me that when 911 happened & they were arranging a benefit for the first responders & their families, that all the British bands rushed over to NYC to perform...Most of them were in England, but The Eagles, who are supposed to be one of the greatest American Bands, did not.. I was a bit POed about that.

Freypower
12-14-2012, 06:01 PM
Brooke, that's not what I was referring to, but Yes, Joe posted the pics, so it's no secret about him being there...

I don't recall Henley ever doing a benefit like this, only for his interest: Walden Woods, which by the way, on the ticket said that $2.00 from each ticket was going to Walden Woods, & oh Yes, they INCREASED the price of the tickets by $2.00, so he wasn't exactly losing any money...

The Eagles have not done the big benefit shows, where the artists work for free & all money is donated to a worthy charity. Kind of upset me that when 911 happened & they were arranging a benefit for the first responders & their families, that all the British bands rushed over to NYC to perform...Most of them were in England, but The Eagles, who are supposed to be one of the greatest American Bands, did not.. I was a bit POed about that.

During Henley's solo career he did these things ALLL the time. He didn't just do them for Walden Woods. I used to see articles & photos of him with Springsteen, Sting, etc etc. I cannot quote you chapter & verse of each benefit he did but I assure you he did them.

You seem to be expressing disappointment about the British acts. Do you think only Americans should have been involved?

I don't know why the Eagles don't do these things but they are not & never have been that type of band, who just turns up at these all star things just because they feel they should.

Topkat
12-14-2012, 06:07 PM

Henley used to do things like this all the time. The Eagles don't seem to have any interest in them. I suppose I will sound cynical but to me the same old acts turn up ad nauseam. Worthy cause yes, but it has become so predictable for these shows to take place. Perhaps the Eagles don't want to be predictable.

Wow, FP That's pretty harsh comments about Top bands that donate their time to play for FREE... These bands are the best of the best as far as I'm concerned, & to say that it's "predictable" ??? Well, these are the bands that people will pay the big money to see & it is EXTREMELY generous of them to do it!!! The Who sold out 5 stadium shows in NY, so they certainly have the fans...So do the STONES...To say the Eagles don't want to be "predictable"? Well, I'm thinking more like that they aren't very giving of their time or money!! Just my opinion!

Freypower
12-14-2012, 06:16 PM
Yes, they are generous, but I'm afraid I don't see why the Eagles should play these shows just because everybody else does it. We don't know what they do in private as far as making donations. I always go back to Glenn's statement 'God likes quiet givers'.

prayfordaylight
12-14-2012, 06:24 PM
Part of the reason certain bands could appear was because they just finished tours. Springsteen lives nearby and just finished. The Who wrapped up their tour leg in Connecticut Sunday night. The Stones were in between NY gigs.

TimothyBFan
12-14-2012, 06:47 PM
TBF, Sorry, that slipped out. I can't post anything about it on a public board..so as not to get anyone in trouble. I don't think Joe was shown on tv.

OKkkkkkk? I'm confused about what you're getting at.

As for Joe performing --- I have a general question about any of the acts that show up for these things--- are there contracts involved? Something that might say they can or can't do benefits, etc...? I really don't have a clue how these things work.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-14-2012, 07:36 PM
ok i get it. The stones, the who were here cause of concerts commitments etc.
Bruce and Bon Jovi are "local boys" so I get them coming.
I am proud that eric clapton came and the song choices he made, They were spot on.

IF they couldnt perform for conttractiual reasons how about answering the phones for donators.???

I dont know if you couldnt be there to perform...how a bout a big $$$ donation??
JMO

TimothyBFan
12-14-2012, 07:39 PM
I dont know if you couldnt be there to perform...how a bout a big $$$ donation??
JMO

We need to be fair, we have NO IDEA if or how much they may or may not have given.

Witchy Woman
12-14-2012, 07:52 PM
I recall all of the members of the Eagles doing benevolent things individually as well as together. It doesn't matter who does charity concerts and who doesn't. I'm sure there were plenty of celebrities and musicians who worked behind the scenes and didn't receive any back patting. And they probably didn't want it.

Henley Honey
12-14-2012, 09:15 PM

Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitude of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

As for your comment that the "same old acts turn up ad nauseum for these predictable shows" I assume you are referring to the Concert For New York in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks.
Yes, thankfully Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards lent their considerable talent to that cause as well as to the concert for Sandy Relief. Additionally David Bowie, Melissa Etheridge, Five for Fighting, John Mellencamp, Kid Rock, Jay Z, Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys and James Taylor performed, so there was quite a significant difference in the two benefit shows.

I am very grateful that these performers give so generously of their time and talent whenever there is need. If the five or six repeat headline performers can rake in the big bucks and in any way influence additional acts to join the lineup then I say GOD BLESS THEM. They should be commended for theiir continued "predictable" compassion and determination to help people in dire need. I hope there is no future need for these "predictable shows" either here in New York City or anywhere else in the world, but I'm not holding my breath. If there is need I trust the "same old acts will turn up ad nauseum" and once again lend their considerable talents to the cause -- and once again I'll be extremely thankful.

Freypower
12-14-2012, 09:24 PM
Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitute of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

As for your comment that the "same old acts turn up ad nauseum for these predictable shows" I assume you are referring to the Concert For New York in 2001 in response to the terrorist attacks.
Yes, thankfully Paul McCartney, The Who, Eric Clapton, Billy Joel, Bon Jovi, Mick Jagger and Keith Richards lent their considerable talent to that cause as well as to the concert for Sandy Relief. Additionally David Bowie, Melissa Etheridge, Five for Fighting, John Mellencamp, Kid Rock, Jay Z, Destiny's Child, Backstreet Boys and James Taylor performed, so there was quite a significant difference in the two benefit shows.

I am very grateful that these performers give so generously of their time and talent whenever there is need. If the five or six repeat headline performers can rake in the big bucks and in any way influence additional acts to join the lineup then I say GOD BLESS THEM. They should be commended for theiir continued "predictable" compassion and determination to help people in dire need. I hope there is no future need for these "predictable shows" either here in New York City or anywhere else in the world, but I'm not holding my breath. If there is need I trust the "same old acts will turn up ad nauseum" and once again lend their considerable talents to the cause -- and once again I'll be extremely thankful.

I said the Eagles as a collective, not Don & Glenn as individuals. I stand by my statement that the Eagles as a collective do not play these benefits despite whatever interest they may have in it. Give me one example of when the band has done something like this. That is why when Topkat was asking 'why weren't they there' my response was 'because they don't do these things' for whatever reason which they know & we don't.

I am sorry if I seemed to denigrate what was being done. I was not referring to the 9/11 benefit as to be honest, I don't remember who participated. As you say I am sure all the participants were very generous in giving their time.

Henley Honey
12-14-2012, 09:39 PM
I said the Eagles as a collective, not Don & Glenn as individuals. I stand by my statement that the Eagles as a collective do not play these benefits despite whatever interest they may have in it. Give me one example of when the band has done something like this.

How about the Race to Erase MS? How about the NYU Steinhardt School of Music Fundraiser? I believe the collective Eagles played both.
Didn't they also do a benefit for Lupus? I think so.

Tiffanny Twisted
12-14-2012, 09:50 PM
I liked the show although the audio wanst great.
I hope they clean it up and decide to release it as a dvd .
Id be the firest in line to buy it.
I too am greatful for who decides to show up and give up of their time and talendt.
thanks you artisits.

Freypower
12-14-2012, 10:22 PM
How about the Race to Erase MS? How about the NYU Steinhardt School of Music Fundraiser? I believe the collective Eagles played both.
Didn't they also do a benefit for Lupus? I think so.

OK then. They don't do huge benefit concerts with all star lineups. They seem to do benefits where there is a personal connection, as in the MS case. I don't know if they all did a Lupus show. Party of Two did. Again that has a personal connection.

lizzyplays
12-14-2012, 11:59 PM
Wow. Where do I start? First I will question the validity of your statement that the Eagles don't seem to have any interest in doing benefit concerts. And you would know this how? Did their booking agent run it by you and give you some inside info? Their interest level may have been very high but their business and/or personal schedules full. I would not presume to speak for them. This concert was put together over a five-week period -- not a lot of time considering the magnitude of the undertaking. Didn't Glenn play the Starkey Hearing Foundation benefit this year? Didn't Don play for a school in with Pacific Northwest? It seems to me they do not shy away from lending their talents to a worthy cause.

HH pretty much summed up what I wanted to say about this, but I will add a few of my own thoughts. It's the actual CAUSES that are important, not who did what, when, where, how or why!! And the bigger the name, the more people jump to help.. that's just how it is. As she pointed out, so what if the same handful of big names do these things? It brings in the PEOPLE who bring in the MONEY for the CAUSE. I'm sure there were countless personal donations made by B-list celebs, and volunteering done by the same. But they don't get the press, and that's just how these things work. But, when you want the MOST people to draw in the MOST money, you go for the BIGGEST stars and hopefully, as many as possible can participate. I know of several good named bands/artists who couldn't be there if they wanted to because they are on tours half way around the world. It seems a bit petty to me for people to bicker about such things as CHARITY!!! Just like when Katrina hit and the media made a mockery of Sean Penn. Who gives a rat's ass if he was going for publicity as well as the donation aspect. If it drew in donations, more power to him. People are living in shelters, missing family members, without everything they have ever owned, and here we sit, comfy and cosy and arguing over what stars did what, and why, and why not. I don't mean to sound like a b*tch because I certainly don't mean it that way, but I am proud of the effort that was made and the money that was raised. Doesn't matter to me who gets the accolades or the most media and I can bet my life the people needing help, don't give a damn how that help comes either. We all know there are many unsung heroes that deserve MORE attention than the bands/stars and that's the rescue people, the shelter workers, the volunteers, etc. Sorry for the ramble. It just upsets me when the importance of an issue seems to get lost....

Oh, and hi everyone :-)

Ive always been a dreamer
12-15-2012, 04:23 PM
I totally agree with your posts, HH and Lizzy. Whenever a celebrity gives their name, time, and/or money to a cause, I believe we should all be very grateful rather than question their choices about how they contribute. Whether they want to participate in large benefits such as this 121212 benefit or be more of a 'quiet' giver should be their choice - the bottom line is the same and we should appreciate their generousity AFAIC. :thumbsup:

Topkat
12-15-2012, 08:59 PM
These bands are not all there by chance...They arrange to be there. Yes, the Who & Stones were in NYC on tour, but as far as I know the Who are still on a tour. But what about the other acts? They didn't just all happen to be in NY, they came here to do the show...to raise money for people who lost so much.

I don't see that the Eagles are so busy these days? They have 1 show to do in Vegas the 30th., but whatever? Joe was there to support some of his friends, & I'm willing to bet he would have performed at the show..If Henley did it in the past, that was 30 years ago. I just would have liked to see them there, ALL of them ,, as the Eagles together... it would have been nice. I don't recall that they have done any of these shows as a group.

As for that Steinhardt NYU show, well they received an award that night. Also Glenn has a personal interest in NYU. Yes, music scholarships are important, but not nearly as important as supporting Americans who have lost everything in a disaster or the 911 tragedy.
I'm just saying it would have been nice to see the Eagles participate in these shows...This one was epic.

sodascouts
12-15-2012, 10:29 PM
The guys may be giving behind the scenes, giving in less visible ways, giving to other organizations, but they do give.

Why are we so quick to judge and criticize? Why are we so quick to turn something positive into something negative?

Topkat
12-15-2012, 11:02 PM
The guys may be giving behind the scenes, giving in less visible ways, giving to other organizations, but they do give.

Why are we so quick to judge and criticize? Why are we so quick to turn something positive into something negative?

I'm sure they do donate to charities, but we have no idea what, when, or how much? Doesn't really matter.

My original point was that the Eagles are one of the greatest American Bands & to see all the British musicians come out to support the Americans was amazing & I love all of them for it...but I do think it would have been nice if the Eagles were there...would have loved to see that, as in support of our country. That is all I was saying. It was more in the support of the good old USA!

Freypower
12-16-2012, 12:55 AM
Well they were not there. Why continue to criticise them? Especially after you conceded they don't do these events.