PDA

View Full Version : THE ULTIMATE DON HENLEY ESSENTIAL BOX SET

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 01:48 PM
Inviting you to propose a DON HENLEY BOX SET.

To start the ball rolling, here is how I would prepare this box set if I were given the chance to produce one which is much better than ACTUAL MILES and THE VERY BEST...

Disc One: Album Highlights from his 4 solo albums
Disc Two: Motion Picture Themes like SIT DOWN YOU'RE ROCKING THE BOAT and THROUGH YOUR HANDS
Disc Three: Live Performances from MTV UNPLUGGED/VH1 STORYTELLERS
Disc Four: Duets with Other Musicians like SOMETIMES LOVE JUST AIN'T ENOUGH, LEATHER AND LACE, etc
Disc Five: Contributions to various compilation albums like BRIDGE, ENJOY EVERY SANDWICH, etc

How would you do it if you were the producer?

Ive always been a dreamer
01-04-2013, 09:59 PM
Good question, GM. I like your list. However, I guess if I were going to customize a boxset for Don, I have to include a couple DVDs - one with all of Don's music videos (The one included in The Very Best of Don Henley left off some, including the awesome The End of the Innocence) and another DVD of some of his best interviews over the years. Of course, your Disc 3 would be a DVD in my world as well. :thumbsup:

gibsonmartin
01-04-2013, 10:36 PM
Good question, GM. I like your list. However, I guess if I were going to customize a boxset for Don, I have to include a couple DVDs - one with all of Don's music videos (The one included in The Very Best of Don Henley left off some, including the awesome The End of the Innocence) and another DVD of some of his best interviews over the years. Of course, your Disc 3 would be a DVD in my world as well. :thumbsup:

Good point about the recorded interviews, IABAD. I've only come across Redbeard's two interviews via IN THE NET. Both recorded and available via the net. Are there others floating in the internet? Thanks.

sodascouts
01-05-2013, 12:48 AM
I like your style, GM. I'll have to give this some thought! I agree DVDs should be included.

Topkat
01-05-2013, 09:23 PM
I don't think interviews are appropriate for a box set. JMO
I would love to see some videos on a dvd though

Tiffanny Twisted
01-05-2013, 09:26 PM
i disagree..interviews are important to history and as a collector of eagles things I want it all

01-05-2013, 10:02 PM
I don't think interviews are appropriate for a box set. JMO

:headscratch: :shrug: :confused: You certainly wouldn't have to watch them if you weren't interested, but I am totally baffled that you would say they are inappropriate. Why exactly???

EaglesKiwi
01-06-2013, 04:14 AM
What about performances at other events? e.g. Don performed at an Inauguration event for President Clinton, and has performed at Farm Aid... those are just the ones I know about. Clips from his live shows perhaps? I would personally love to see him performing "It Don't Matter To The Sun" (I'm still holding out hope it will be on his new album if and when that's released...) and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".

gibsonmartin
01-06-2013, 04:53 AM
I like your style, GM. I'll have to give this some thought! I agree DVDs should be included.

Thanks, Soda. It took years to prepare my suggested division of Henley's box set. Books like THE LONG RUN, BETWEEN HEAVEN AND HELL and TO THE LIMIT really helped a lot.

I really appreciate this site especially the part where Eagles fans trade inputs/comments. I've been sending suggestions for years to Irving Azoff, Don Henley and the rest of their management. So far, no reply. :-)

Freypower
01-06-2013, 04:43 PM
:headscratch: :shrug: :confused: You certainly wouldn't have to watch them if you weren't interested, but I am totally baffled that you would say they are inappropriate. Why exactly???

Box sets are supposed to be about music. That is why DVDs (which presumably includes video interviews) should not be included. If you want to release a DVD, you do it separately. The music DVDs were already released as part of the Very Best Of. What was wrong with that was that a couple of movie soundtrack songs were included, but they were in video format & I could not transfer them into mp3 format, which I found beyond annoying.

This goes to prove that in my opinion there is insufficient material from Henley's solo career to justify a box set. His hardcore fans would already have all this & I don't know how much it would appeal to others. The tracks that GM listed in his opening post , apart from the 'best of solo albums' (which has already been done) you would be lucky if you got 45 minutes per disc. Even if you narrowed it down to four, I don't know that it is justified. You could perhaps put the movie soundtrack & compilation songs one one disc. I still think that is stretching it a very long way.

I suspect this will be an extremely unpopular opinion but there you are.

Topkat
01-07-2013, 12:56 PM

I have never seen a "Box Set" that had interviews. Interviews could be a separate DVD on just interviews, but to me a "Box Set" is the complete musical works of an artist; just the music, & possible videos, but not every interview they ever conducted. Interviews are a dime a dozen; Every time somebody walks into a radio station, there is an "interview". It would be way too many & much repeated stuff heard over & over again.

01-07-2013, 01:12 PM
Well, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I, obviously, have a different viewpoint about this. First of all, I definitely have to disagree that "box sets are supposed to be about music"??? There are all sorts of box sets available from music, TV shows, movies, books, etc., etc., etc., and all sorts of combinations of things.

The one thing I do agree with is that Henley hardcores already have most of his music that has been released. That is all the more reason to include other things that are highlights in his career. I'd bet there are a lot of things that have never been officially released that his fans would love to hear or see. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway, but, I'm not aware of any 'rules' about what can or cannot be included in a boxset. In fact, I enjoy it when artists think outside the box (pun intended) and get creative with this kind of stuff.

Houston Debutante
01-07-2013, 01:14 PM
Good topic. I will also have to give it some thought.

I see other artists include videos, plus Don included videos on his latest Greatest Hits release. Why not again?

Topkat
01-07-2013, 04:40 PM
I find this topic pretty funny, because it probably is never gonna happen!
Heck, we can't even get that album out of him, & how long has he been working on it! LOL:hilarious::hilarious::hilarious::hilarious:

Freypower
01-07-2013, 05:11 PM
Well, of course, everyone is entitled to their opinion, but, I, obviously, have a different viewpoint about this. First of all, I definitely have to disagree that "box sets are supposed to be about music"??? There are all sorts of box sets available from music, TV shows, movies, books, etc., etc., etc., and all sorts of combinations of things.

The one thing I do agree with is that Henley hardcores already have most of his music that has been released. That is all the more reason to include other things that are highlights in his career. I'd bet there are a lot of things that have never been officially released that his fans would love to hear or see. Of course, this is all hypothetical anyway, but, I'm not aware of any 'rules' about what can or cannot be included in a boxset. In fact, I enjoy it when artists think outside the box (pun intended) and get creative with this kind of stuff.

We are talking about Don Henley here. For a start, as with the Eagles, there is probably not much that has not been released. We are also not talking about someone who is willing to take risks with this type of release (unless you count releasing songs in video format a 'risk').

No, there are no 'rules' about box sets but generally if it is a box set about music, then that is what it will be. If there are examples of box sets which include vidoes I would be interested to know what they are. I haven't heard of any. In any case the official videos have already been released. Unless the Very Best Of is withdrawn from sale why release them again?

As for interviews how often would you actually listen to them?

EaglesKiwi
01-07-2013, 07:40 PM
I watch the "extras" on the Eagles DVDs quite often, and would probably do the same with an interview if it was included as part of a DVD or CD.

Henley Honey
01-07-2013, 09:37 PM
Me too, EK. I think it gives a little insight into their personalities and it's just plain fun!

01-07-2013, 11:08 PM
FP - Again, I want to stress that this is all hypothesis. But, in reality, I think there is plenty enough material from Don's solo career that hasn't been officially released. In fact, I have a ton of stuff myself that I would love to see put to CD and DVD, including interviews, live performances, guest appearances, etc. Maybe you aren't interested in these types of things, but I believe lots of fans are.

All you have to do is search Amazon to find various types of box sets are not just music. It's kind of like when they started putting bonus features on DVD's. It started out as a small thing, and now, there are all kinds of things out there. As I said earlier, I'm very grateful when the entertainment industry gets creative with this stuff, and, hopefully, they will continue to offer new ideas and features for box sets.

Freypower
01-07-2013, 11:42 PM
Well, I don't know what all this stuff is that hasn't been officially released. Sorry.

TimothyBFan
01-08-2013, 10:11 AM
The first thing that comes to mind when I saw Dreamers statement regarding stuff that hasn't "officially" been released was all the stuff Don has done onstage with other artist. The one that stands out to me is from The All Star Garage Band, the duet with Steve Winwood on Hold On, I'm Coming. The NAILED it!!! Or how about when he played drums with an unlikely match of Guns N Roses during the American Music Awards back in the late 80s. Granted he didn't sing but any true Don fan would want to see/hear anything he's done, right?

Troubadour
01-08-2013, 02:04 PM
Absolutely. I have seen plenty of great clips on the net of Don performing solo, or with other artists, and being interviewed. Many of them are old TV shows that most fans would not own - if they did, it would be a VHS recording, so it would be fantastic to have them updated and released on DVD! I'm thinking of things like the Old Grey Whistle Test and the MTV show. Willie listed some good examples, too. Like FP, I doubt this would happen because quality is obviously (understandably) a big issue for Don but, in an ideal world, this box set would exist and I, for one, would whip it off the shelf! I love interviews and old, funny, candid tidbits. I would also love to own a CD compilation of some of Don's old radio interviews. There are some gems out there and I really think that plenty of fans would be thrilled to have all this rare stuff in one place.

As for music, I'm not sure there's much point in compiling album tracks - in all honesty, I probably wouldn't buy it because I already own all of the songs - but I would love to have a CD of Don's rare, live tracks from over the years. I've heard some beautiful live versions of different songs. Again, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go for it, but I'd pick things like Boys of Summer (the Storytellers version), Come Rain or Come Shine, Too Far Gone, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, It Don't Matter to the Sun, The Heart of the Matter (Christchurch)... and perhaps some great live versions of The End of the Innocence and Talking to the Moon. In fact, I'd love it if he released a whole live show, as JD Souther did recently with Midnight in Tokyo. Having a whole show recorded really captures the mood of a particular night and creates a sultry evening vibe. Don could definitely do the same.

Freypower
01-08-2013, 04:11 PM
Absolutely. I have seen plenty of great clips on the net of Don performing solo, or with other artists, and being interviewed. Many of them are old TV shows that most fans would not own - if they did, it would be a VHS recording, so it would be fantastic to have them updated and released on DVD! I'm thinking of things like the Old Grey Whistle Test and the MTV show. Willie listed some good examples, too. Like FP, I doubt this would happen because quality is obviously (understandably) a big issue for Don but, in an ideal world, this box set would exist and I, for one, would whip it off the shelf! I love interviews and old, funny, candid tidbits. I would also love to own a CD compilation of some of Don's old radio interviews. There are some gems out there and I really think that plenty of fans would be thrilled to have all this rare stuff in one place.

As for music, I'm not sure there's much point in compiling album tracks - in all honesty, I probably wouldn't buy it because I already own all of the songs - but I would love to have a CD of Don's rare, live tracks from over the years. I've heard some beautiful live versions of different songs. Again, I'm pretty sure he wouldn't go for it, but I'd pick things like Boys of Summer (the Storytellers version), Come Rain or Come Shine, Too Far Gone, Everybody Wants to Rule the World, It Don't Matter to the Sun, The Heart of the Matter (Christchurch)... and perhaps some great live versions of The End of the Innocence and Talking to the Moon. In fact, I'd love it if he released a whole live show, as JD Souther did recently with Midnight in Tokyo. Having a whole show recorded really captures the mood of a particular night and creates a sultry evening vibe. Don could definitely do the same.

OK, I know I'm not supposed to say so but I think the same thing could be done for Don's colleague (runs & hides).

Troubadour
01-08-2013, 04:13 PM
I completely agree! I would buy a Glenn box set like this, for sure. :)

Houston Debutante
01-08-2013, 05:03 PM
OK, I know I'm not supposed to say so but I think the same thing could be done for Don's colleague (runs & hides).

Well it is a little out of place to start talking about a Glenn box set in this thread. Maybe somebody could go start a thread in Glenn's forum about that.

Freypower
01-08-2013, 05:08 PM
Well it is a little out of place to start talking about a Glenn box set in this thread. Maybe somebody could go start a thread in Glenn's forum about that.

Well, I did metaphorically 'run & hide'. :eyebrow: Apologies. It was just a very brief aside.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:46 AM
What about performances at other events? e.g. Don performed at an Inauguration event for President Clinton, and has performed at Farm Aid... those are just the ones I know about. Clips from his live shows perhaps? I would personally love to see him performing "It Don't Matter To The Sun" (I'm still holding out hope it will be on his new album if and when that's released...) and "Everybody Wants To Rule The World".

Agree, EaglesKiwi. "It Don't Matter to the Sun" and "Everybody Wants to Rule the World" are great cover songs made even better by Henley's singing.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:49 AM
Box sets are supposed to be about music. That is why DVDs (which presumably includes video interviews) should not be included. If you want to release a DVD, you do it separately. The music DVDs were already released as part of the Very Best Of. What was wrong with that was that a couple of movie soundtrack songs were included, but they were in video format & I could not transfer them into mp3 format, which I found beyond annoying.

This goes to prove that in my opinion there is insufficient material from Henley's solo career to justify a box set. His hardcore fans would already have all this & I don't know how much it would appeal to others. The tracks that GM listed in his opening post , apart from the 'best of solo albums' (which has already been done) you would be lucky if you got 45 minutes per disc. Even if you narrowed it down to four, I don't know that it is justified. You could perhaps put the movie soundtrack & compilation songs one one disc. I still think that is stretching it a very long way.

I suspect this will be an extremely unpopular opinion but there you are.

Well that's the beauty of this messageboard. You get various vantage points and perspectives. 8)

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:58 AM
We are talking about Don Henley here. For a start, as with the Eagles, there is probably not much that has not been released. We are also not talking about someone who is willing to take risks with this type of release (unless you count releasing songs in video format a 'risk').

No, there are no 'rules' about box sets but generally if it is a box set about music, then that is what it will be. If there are examples of box sets which include vidoes I would be interested to know what they are. I haven't heard of any. In any case the official videos have already been released. Unless the Very Best Of is withdrawn from sale why release them again?

Sting's 25 Years box set has 3 CDs and 1 DVD of a New York concert featuring rarely performed songs from his career.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 12:01 PM

A good example is ACHTUNG BABY 20th ANNIVERSARY which features B sides, remixes and cuts that almost made it to the original recording. Even more impressive is NEIL YOUNG's GREATEST HITS which supposedly only contains 2 33RPM discs. But as I was about to play the second disc, guess what comes out of the jacket? A 45 bonus single featuring Sugar Mountain back to back with The Loner.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 12:04 PM

The downside of not doing this rarities release/box set now is that you leave it up to your estate and its executors to release your material after you're gone. Check out what they did with the unfinished work of Michael Jackson. The 1988 Wembley concert was released recently and fans are not that happy with the quality of the DVD. Would MJ have approved it to be released with such quality were he alive today?

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 12:09 PM

There's a nice recording of a live Henley performance which includes Joni Mitchell's River in Wolfgang's Concert Vault but they charge a monthly fee now as the site also features rare live recordings of classic rockers.

Freypower
01-09-2013, 05:22 PM
The information that people appear to have on this non-released material is impressive. I just cannot see Henley himself agreeing to this. He has already released everything he wishes to have out there. B sides? They no longer exist. Remixes? For what purpose? As for 'cuts that didn't make it' how often has Henley stated that the Eagles don't keep stuff they don't use. Why would he be any differrent with his solo work?

Also GM, your response to my last comment.... I wasn't even talking about Henley there, as I was reminded.

sodascouts
01-09-2013, 05:32 PM
Notable live tracks would be great. Stevie Nicks on her Enchanted box set included soundtrack songs, demos, live material, unreleased covers, and duets that had appeared on other artists' albums such as Kenny Loggins and Tom Petty. As note elsewhere, Don has plenty of those. In Stevie's later Crystal Visions deluxe set, she included a DVD of her music videos. Don's previous Very Best of Don Henley already did some of this, but a box set could be more comprehensive. As for FP's claim that such CD/DVD box sets are unheard of, Fleetwood Mac is putting out a new Rumours box set in a few days which will include a DVD of previously unreleased concert footage from the Rumours tour. http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2012/12/12/fleetwood-macs-rumours-goes-deluxe-with-january-29-box-set.html

Remember that Azoff is Fleetwood Mac's manager, and if something works well for one client, he would not hesitate to recommend it to his other clients who have similar market demographics. While I'm not saying this is necessarily likely, it's certainly not unthinkable.

gibsonmartin
01-10-2013, 11:25 AM
Notable live tracks would be great. Stevie Nicks on her Enchanted box set included soundtrack songs, demos, live material, unreleased covers, and duets that had appeared on other artists' albums such as Kenny Loggins and Tom Petty. As note elsewhere, Don has plenty of those. In Stevie's later Crystal Visions deluxe set, she included a DVD of her music videos. Don's previous Very Best of Don Henley already did some of this, but a box set could be more comprehensive. As for FP's claim that such CD/DVD box sets are unheard of, Fleetwood Mac is putting out a new Rumours box set in a few days which will include a DVD of previously unreleased concert footage from the Rumours tour. http://www.directcurrentmusic.com/dc-music-news-feed/2012/12/12/fleetwood-macs-rumours-goes-deluxe-with-january-29-box-set.html

Remember that Azoff is Fleetwood Mac's manager, and if something works well for one client, he would not hesitate to recommend it to his other clients who have similar market demographics. While I'm not saying this is necessarily likely, it's certainly not unthinkable.

Cool inference right there, Soda. Maybe he has big plans up ahead. Perhaps this is the reason why THE END OF THE INNOCENCE MTV was not included in his VERY BEST. Perhaps Azoff and Henley are saving it for the ULTIMATE DH BOX SET. :thumbsup:

gibsonmartin
01-10-2013, 11:28 AM
The information that people appear to have on this non-released material is impressive. I just cannot see Henley himself agreeing to this. He has already released everything he wishes to have out there. B sides? They no longer exist. Remixes? For what purpose? As for 'cuts that didn't make it' how often has Henley stated that the Eagles don't keep stuff they don't use. Why would he be any differrent with his solo work?

Also GM, your response to my last comment.... I wasn't even talking about Henley there, as I was reminded.

You're right, Freypower. Sorry about that. :)

EaglesKiwi
01-11-2013, 03:16 AM
Fingers crossed he makes the suggestion and they actually listen! I'm interested to get the FM Rumors one, and I would be absolutely over the moon to get anything like this from Don - and from Glenn, Tim or Joe. (I'm an optimist, I'm going for "and" instead of "or" !!!).

01-12-2013, 06:16 PM
Yep - I like the way you all are thinking here!!! :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
01-14-2013, 03:16 PM
All this would be a dream come true. I'd be willing to pay a good amount of money for it.