PDA

View Full Version : Eagles Retrospective Tour?

sodascouts
01-05-2013, 12:32 AM
Last year in 2012, we talked about a 40th Anniversary tour, but that never really materialized. Now, there are rumblings of a tour to promote the Eagles' Retrospective DVD that's coming out soon.

I figure we can use this thread to speculate about setlists and our expectations... keeping in mind, of course, that nothing is confirmed.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2013, 08:49 PM
I've been wanting to do this for a long time, and this took a lot more thought than I'd planned on! Glenn has mentioned several times about a tour to go with the DVD being a chronological sequencing of songs that goes through their history.

When he mentioned it, I wasn't very excited by that. As they do things now, they end the show with well-loved favorites and in chronological order would mean ending with songs from LROOE. In my opinion, those songs would not provide a good ending for the more casual fans, which make up probably 3/4 (or more) of every crowd.

Then I hit on the idea of going through time in chronological order, then the encores going back in time, and ending where it all began. Also, I did it by album release rather than the exact order of songs.

Being optimistic, I did the three hour setlist with an intermission, which would take place after The Long Run. I tried to be realistic with the number of leads.

For the three hour setlist, I included solo songs. I can imagine the comments that will get now, but they are a part of their history, and especially some of Joe's songs that they performed as a group even before the big vacation started back in 1980. If they only do the two hour show, then almost all of those go away. I want the rocking/original version of Smuggler's Blues after RMW, but I'm being realistic vs. optimistic and not putting it in.

The three hour setlist:
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Witchy Woman
Tequila Sunrise
Best of My Love
Already Gone (James Dean would be a great substitute here)
Lyin' Eyes
Walk Away (not sure where this is in history)
One Of These Nights (CAN'T have an Eagles retrospective without this)
Take It To The Limit
Wasted Time
Funk #49
Hotel California
I Can't Tell You Why
In The City
The Long Run

(Intermission)

Boys of Summer
Life's Been Good
You Belong To The City
Dirty Laundry
Rocky Mountain Way
Silent Spring
Hole In The World
Waiting In The Weeds
How Long
Long Road Out of Eden
Somebody

(Encore)
Seven Bridges Road
Heartache Tonight
Life In The Fast Lane

(Encore)
Desperado
Take It Easy

So what does every one think? If they do a chronological setlist, what do you think it will be/should be?

Freypower
01-06-2013, 09:34 PM
Though it probably isn't worth saying so the complete demise of my favourite Eagles song, New Kid In Town, breaks my heart. It really does.

I don't mind this list but VA, I still think there are too many solo songs. If this is going to be an Eagles retrospective tour, it should be about the Eagles. That should mean doing songs they haven't done ever, or haven't done for a long time, not just (and I use this term advisedly) reshuffling the deckchairs.

I suppose I would like to see something like this:

Witchy Woman
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Doolin-Dalton
Outlaw Man
Tequila Sunrise
Best Of My Love
Already Gone
Good Day In Hell
One Of These Nights
Take It To The Limit
Lyin' Eyes
Life In The Fast Lane
New Kid In Town (though it will not happen)

Intermission

Rocky Mountain Way
In The City
I Can't Tell You Why
The Boys Of Summer
Smuggler's Blues
You Belong To The City
Life's Been Good
Get Over It
Long Road Out Of Eden
Waiting In The Weeds
Somebody
How Long

Hotel California

Heartache Tonight
Take It Easy

I am well aware that Desperado is a given but I'm afraid I would not include it if it were up to me. Or if it has to be included it should be performed the way it was written with Glenn on piano & Don on drums. It could go before TIE & HT could go before or after HC.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2013, 11:57 PM
I did realize after posting that I didn't 'represent' the HFO era, and I agree that Get Over It is a good choice, since it was written by them.

As for NKIT, yes, my list was realistic and not optimistic. If I had my way, they'd sing three times in one show. Or more. There's no such thing as hearing it too many times for my ears.

TimothyBFan
01-07-2013, 08:01 AM
I'll also admit that the very first thing I noticed in VA's list was the omission of NKIT. I don't think it's just being optimistic that it would be included in a retrospect. It was a big hit and, at least in my area, it's played quite often on classic rock channels.

I once again have to agree that in an Eagles retrospect, there should be Eagles songs--period! Granted, the solo works are a huge part of Eagles history BUT there are just to many great Eagles songs that are not included if we start adding solo songs.

That being said, for the dvds/cds--- wouldn't it be kind of cool to have a separate dvd and cd with nothing but the best of solo works?

But since this thread is for the tour-- I will work on a list later today and get my idea setlist posted.

Ive always been a dreamer
01-07-2013, 12:39 PM
Wow - I'm gonna have to give this some thought and post a list later. But, I'm with VA - I'm one of those that happens to enjoy the solo songs and think they are as much as part of the band's history as the others since they have always performed them. Obviously, this is one of those things that fans disagree about, but, personally, I prefer to hear a band perform the highlights of their entire collective catalogs - doesn't matter to me who originally recorded it - the Eagles have a way of owning anything they perform. I'd definitely rather hear their solo work instead of covers as Glenn has suggested.

Brooke
01-07-2013, 03:21 PM
I'm going to have to give this some thought, too, but I also think that if it's going to be an Eagles show, they should do Eagles songs. Even though I love many of their solo songs, this one is for the band. There's too many Eagles songs that need to be heard!

Stay tuned!

prayfordaylight
01-07-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm going to have to give this some thought, too, but I also think that if it's going to be an Eagles show, they should do Eagles songs. Even though I love many of their solo songs, this one is for the band. There's too many Eagles songs that need to be heard!

Stay tuned!

I'm in agreement with this. Lots of bands I like have members with long ranging solo careers as well but if I wanted to hear *several* solo songs, I'll go see them solo. I know some band members tour solo more than others but it's an Eagles show so play Eagles songs. Fleetwood Mac throws Stevie a bone and lets her do Stand Back but frankly there's no reason they need to. I'll go see Stevie to hear that.

Brooke
01-07-2013, 05:09 PM
Well, I did it and it's probably the same one I did for some other thread, but I can't help it! These are the songs I think should be heard at an Eagles concert! The bad thing is there really isn't room for them all and I don't want to narrow it down! I would love to hear some obscure songs like Doolin-Dalton or Outlaw Man, but I don't think that will ever happen anyway.

Witchy Woman
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Out of Control
Tequila Sunrise
Already Gone
James Dean (ok, 5 Glenn songs in a row? ain't gonna happen! :hilarious:)
Best of My Love
Good Day In Hell
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
After The Thrill Is Gone
Take It To the Limit
Life In the Fast Lane
Pretty Maids All In A Row (I'm open to Life's Been Good, but.....)

Intermission

New Kid in Town
Wasted Time
I Can't Tell You Why
The Long Run
In The City
Heartache Tonight
King of Hollywood
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Get Over It
How Long
Busy Being Fabulous
Somebody
Long Road Out of Eden
Waiting In the Weeds

Encore
Seven Bridges Road
Hotel California

Encore
Desperado
Take It Easy-let's leave feeling good-this should always be the last song-imo!

All in all, these are really the songs I would like to hear the most.

Freypower
01-07-2013, 05:19 PM
When I did my list I included the really big solo songs (five). It would appear inevitable that they will be played (well, Joe's & Don's songs, anyway:-(). But those songs are not 'the highlights of their entire collective catalogues' when two of the members have no solo songs. I cannot agree that Walk Away & Funk #49 are so superior to Glenn's songs. That is another problem with the Eagles. There isn't that much recorded material so they rely on solo songs. Perhaps in an ideal world Brooke's list is what I would prefer (although I would leave a couple of hers out).

Dreamer, I don't know that they would be doing the covers Glenn talked about. I was under the impression that those would be on the History DVD. If they did do On The Way Home that would be awesome, as far as I'm concerned.

EaglesKiwi
01-07-2013, 07:34 PM
Reading through everybody's lists, it seems to be quite awkward to balance the # of leads with the chronological order... i.e. Brooke's comments about 5 Glenn leads in a row isn't going to happen.

I like FP's list (although I'd happily swap out Outlaw Man for Out of Control) with the addition of Desperado to break up Heartache Tonight and Take It Easy.

I need to think about how this could work a bit more! (Or go & see if I've posted in an earlier thread... :hilarious:)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-07-2013, 07:42 PM
Yes, the chronological order makes it very difficult! If you have some other idea of how to make things different and be tied to the DVD, mention it! I did the chrono thing just because Glenn mentioned it in interviews a while back.

WalshFan88
01-07-2013, 07:59 PM
I'm too lazy to make a setlist, but I'll put some of my thoughts.

Songs I definitely want to see added would be:

Already Gone, New Kid In Town (although not likely), James Dean, Wasted Time, Victim Of Love, and Get Over It

Songs that HAVE to be played for me:

Hotel California, Take It Easy, Life's Been Good

I really would love AG back in the mix. It's my 2nd favorite Eagles song and a favorite to play. If they do, I'd like to see Glenn and Stu do the solos like Glenn and Felder used to do, and not the solos that were on F1. I like the solo so much that Glenn did on the recording through HFO. It needs to be played.

I'd also like to see them do some other stuff like VOL, GOI, and James Dean.

I don't know if they are playing this now, but if they aren't, definitely One Of These Nights needs to be played... Really a great song.

Another cool one I'd like to see and not sure if they've ever done it live, and that is Out Of Control from the Desperado album. One of their very first "rockers". Literally the only song I like on that album other than the title track.

Freypower
01-07-2013, 08:29 PM
I'm too lazy to make a setlist, but I'll put some of my thoughts.

Songs I definitely want to see added would be:

Already Gone, New Kid In Town (although not likely), James Dean, Wasted Time, Victim Of Love, and Get Over It

Songs that HAVE to be played for me:

Hotel California, Take It Easy, Life's Been Good

I really would love AG back in the mix. It's my 2nd favorite Eagles song and a favorite to play. If they do, I'd like to see Glenn and Stu do the solos like Glenn and Felder used to do, and not the solos that were on F1. I like the solo so much that Glenn did on the recording through HFO. It needs to be played.

I'd also like to see them do some other stuff like VOL, GOI, and James Dean.

I don't know if they are playing this now, but if they aren't, definitely One Of These Nights needs to be played... Really a great song.

Another cool one I'd like to see and not sure if they've ever done it live, and that is Out Of Control from the Desperado album. One of their very first "rockers". Literally the only song I like on that album other than the title track.

I am confused by this statement. Already Gone isn't on HFO.

WalshFan88
01-07-2013, 08:39 PM
I am confused by this statement. Already Gone isn't on HFO.

I mean the tour, sorry.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-07-2013, 08:45 PM
ok , I could so go for James Dean >Found an old clip the other day of them singing it and walsh and felder were rocking....
always loved that song...

Topkat
01-07-2013, 09:07 PM
At first glance, I'm not really loving any of these set lists. I can't see 2 Joe songs done in a row.

I have to think about the set list because that requires some time & thought, but songs that I MUST HAVE are OOTN, & Tequila Sunrise, which have been MIA for a long time!
Also, I do NOT want Desperado to be the Final Song! It's been done a million times that way & it's time for a change!
And, NO... Already Gone is not on HFO

Freypower
01-07-2013, 09:35 PM
At first glance, I'm not really loving any of these set lists. I can't see 2 Joe songs done in a row.

I have to think about the set list because that requires some time & thought, but songs that I MUST HAVE are OOTN, & Tequila Sunrise, which have been MIA for a long time!
Also, I do NOT want Desperado to be the Final Song! It's been done a million times that way & it's time for a change!

Re Already Gone; Austin clarified that he meant the HFO tour. I saw it played on that tour & it rocked.

So I put RMW right next to In The City. I wanted to have all Eagles in the first half & save the inevitable solos songs for the second half. I suppose RMW could go at the end of the first half. LITFL could start the second half.

zeldabjr
01-07-2013, 11:25 PM
if you're listening guys...OOTN please!!!

lizzyplays
01-07-2013, 11:35 PM
I want songs such as Already Gone, Tequila Sunrise, Outlaw Man, Get Over it added to the list of the classics.

WalshFan88
01-08-2013, 12:10 AM

As FP stated, I clarified before you posted that I meant the tour and not the concert video...

You can see it on videos like the Christchurch Bootleg and some others I have feature it. Seems like that solo stopped being played after Felder's departure, and I mean Glenn's part that was dropped too. I'm quite sure Steuart is more than capable of playing Felder's part on that solo as he is very capable of playing Felder's most complex parts. It was a lot more basic and in one place (not all over the fretboard) compared to Glenn's solo that you hear on the record.

In fact, on the record you barely hear Felder's solo underneath Glenn's. You really have to crank it to hear Felder's solo. But live of course Felder's solo can be discerned quite easily alongside Glenn's. But on record some people don't realize there was a twin solo with two guitarists. Especially guitarists that I've discussed this song with. I personally prefer Glenn's solo on AG.

TimothyBFan
01-08-2013, 09:50 AM
Still haven't done a list. I don't even know where to start. But, something I was thinking about is, since this is a "history of the Eagles" and we're doing them in chronological order, which arrangements of the songs do we have them do--- the album versions or the full band with horn section, etc? Personally, I think I want to go back to the basics on the older material and bring out the band in the 2nd half of the show? Something to ponder.

Brooke
01-08-2013, 11:47 AM
Willie, I really like that idea! It would make it much more authentic.

GlennLover
01-08-2013, 03:43 PM
Willie, I really like that idea! It would make it much more authentic.

I agree, although I can't see them, ie Glenn, going for that.

I also agree with those that don't think that the solo songs should be part of the show. There are so many Eagles' songs that I would like to hear that either have never been played or haven't been played in years.

I'll post my list after I have time to give it some serious thought.

Freypower
01-08-2013, 04:09 PM
They seem to have dropped the horns anyway, since they have been playing these shorter shows.

I would prefer them to get back to basics & have Don play drums on the songs on whuch he is supposed to play drums.

Troubadour
01-08-2013, 04:49 PM
I think I'd go for something like this. I'd love to stick The Last Resort in there, but I appreciate that it probably wouldn't work for everyone, especially as I already have Wasted Time in the set list! I haven't even ventured into solo songs territory because, as much as I love them, I feel that it would be great to have a pure Eagles show for the retrospective tour. They're certainly not short of great songs! ;)

Hotel California
Busy Being Fabulous
New Kid in Town
Witchy Woman
Tequila Sunrise
I Can’t Tell You Why
Heartache Tonight
Wasted Time
Pretty Maids All in a Row
Desperado
James Dean
Those Shoes
How Long

Intermission

One of These Nights
Lyin’ Eyes
The Long Run
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Hole in the World
Take It to the Limit
Waiting in the Weeds
The Best of My Love
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Good Day in Hell
Victim of Love
Already Gone
In the City

Encore

Seven Bridges Road
Life in the Fast Lane
Take It Easy

lizzyplays
01-08-2013, 07:28 PM
Still haven't done a list. I don't even know where to start. But, something I was thinking about is, since this is a "history of the Eagles" and we're doing them in chronological order, which arrangements of the songs do we have them do--- the album versions or the full band with horn section, etc? Personally, I think I want to go back to the basics on the older material and bring out the band in the 2nd half of the show? Something to ponder.

Now that would be a show I would pay good money to see, although if you see any Eagles show you're going to pay good money... But, it'd be a lot easier to swallow!

Houston Debutante
01-16-2013, 11:54 AM
If I were going to go in chronological order...

Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Desperado
Doolin-Dalton / Doolin-Dalton-Desperado Reprise
On the Border
The Best of My Love
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
After the Thrill Is Gone
Take It to the Limit

~ intermission ~

Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
Those Shoes
Heartache Tonight

~ encore 1 ~

Seven Bridges Road
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Get Over It

~encore 2~

How Long (ties the beginning to the end)

They probably could be sorted better. Maybe I'll come back and fix it up more later. No room for solo songs though.

Freypower
01-16-2013, 08:50 PM
I know Don is your favourite and you wish to emphasise him. Fair enough.

But you only have Glenn singing 7 songs, and only 2 in the second half. You have Don singing 12 on his own and then you have 3 duets (I know the '3 duets' also applies to Glenn). Putting your list in strict chronological order means you don't have Glenn singing any encore songs until the end which is a duet (and inflates LWKUA far beyond its worth, in my opinion). Plus the songs you have Glenn singing are the songs he does now with the exception of NKIT which we all know will never return, and Already Gone. You could at least have proposed another of Glenn's old songs (Tequila Sunrise, obvious though that is).

I am well aware that in their recorded history as time went on Don sang more & more songs while Glenn sang fewer & fewer. I am not sure that a retrospective concert setlist is the place to remind people about that. It should be as evenly distributed as possible. I do note that you say it could perhaps have been sorted better.

If LROOE were better represented then the attempt to redress the balance in the number of lead vocals would be more obvious. At least Somebody could be in there (I would also have the title track & WITW, both of which are sung by Don, of course).

I have to be honest here. As a Frey fan, the strict chronological order is difficult for me to deal with.

zeldabjr
01-17-2013, 03:19 AM
I know you wouldn't have LWKUA in there at all FP, but I would sure love to hear it...and have TBS sing two songs!!!

Topkat
01-17-2013, 09:43 AM
HD....I don't like that song list at all. Where is LROOE? WITW needs to be in there. The encore last song should not be How Long??? Are you kidding me? I don't even like that song....Just NO.... Don't like the song choices for the first encore either!. 7 Bridges needs to be in the early part of the show.
That would be a big mistake in my eyes! I sure hope that is not the set list for the show..If it is, I will be hugely disappointed!:-(

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 10:02 AM
If I were going to go in chronological order...

Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Desperado
Doolin-Dalton / Doolin-Dalton-Desperado Reprise
On the Border
The Best of My Love
Already Gone
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
After the Thrill Is Gone
Take It to the Limit

~ intermission ~

Hotel California
New Kid in Town
Life in the Fast Lane
Wasted Time
Victim of Love
The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
Those Shoes
Heartache Tonight

~ encore 1 ~

Seven Bridges Road
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Get Over It

~encore 2~

How Long (ties the beginning to the end)

They probably could be sorted better. Maybe I'll come back and fix it up more later. No room for solo songs though.

HD, it's difficult to make it work in chronological order, isn't it?! Seriously, I thought about this back when Glenn mentioned it in interviews, so it was a long time ago, and it took me until now to put my list together. The reality is, if they do a chronological thing, it'll probably be based on whatever's in the DVD, and we don't know what that is...yet.

TimothyBFan
01-17-2013, 10:56 AM
HD....I don't like that song list at all. Where is LROOE? WITW needs to be in there. The encore last song should not be How Long??? Are you kidding me? I don't even like that song....Just NO.... Don't like the song choices for the first encore either!. 7 Bridges needs to be in the early part of the show.
That would be a big mistake in my eyes! I sure hope that is not the set list for the show..If it is, I will be hugely disappointed!:-(

Hmmm.... OK? A simple "I disagree" probably would have sufficed. :hilarious: I don't see where her song list could possibly be any more right or wrong than the rest of us here. Of course we are not all going to have the same setlist-thank goodness, or we wouldn't have a "discussion" board. Personally, I can see where she's coming from with How Long. Let's face it, if Glenn's kids/wife hadn't found Soda's video of it on YouTube that night, we might not have a new album. Who really knows.

Well, here's what I've been working on for a couple of days. Be gentle while critiquing it, please. :hilarious: I'm aware Don has a lot more leads than Glenn , but it is what it is and some of the bigger hits were sung by Don, pure and simple. And I know it's a few songs longer than it should be BUT this is all fantasy anyways so what the heck! I did keep it pretty much in chronological order and no solo works. Had LBG on original list but took it off even tho it was on The Live album as an Eagles song. I also had Ol' 55 on there also but had to take it off to shorten the freaking list. If I had my way, I'd have Disco Strangler and Fast Company on it. :hilarious: But we all know those wont happen.

Peaceful Easy Feeling
Witchy Woman
Desperado
Tequila Sunrise
Already Gone
On The Border
James Dean
Best Of My Love
One Of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
Take It To The Limit
After The Thrill Is Gone
New Kid In Town
Wasted Time
Victim Of Love
Pretty Maids All In A Row

Intermission

Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In The City
Heartache Tonight
King Of Hollywood (just a dream of mine)
Those Shoes (another dream, I'm sure but I think it has a lot of fans)
The Sad Cafe
Seven Bridges Road
Get Over It
Love Will Keep Us Alive (showing Timothy some love!)
Learn To Be Still
Waiting In The Weeds
How Long
Long Road Out Of Eden (doesn't really work here---is there a shorter version?)
No More Cloudy Days

Encore 1
Hotel California (introduced as "our most well known song" or "biggest hit")
Life In The Fast Lane

Encore 2
Take It Easy (introduced as the song that started it all!)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 11:16 AM
I think it was at the songwriter's event, Glenn said that as they recorded songs he realized that Don's voice was 'money'. So that explains the number of hits that Don sings in the later albums.

If they can shorten Seven Bridges Road they can shorten anything, including Long Road Out of Eden. I thought about that after making my list.

Topkat
01-17-2013, 11:36 AM
Well, TBF, I do like your set list A LOT better. I can live with most of it, with the exception of King of Hollywood, which I would can & put in something else. I'm at work now so I can't really form my list.
I also agree with the Encores you picked out!
HC
LITFL
TIE
I do think these songs should be the encores!!! :thumbsup: Good picks!

Houston Debutante
01-17-2013, 03:00 PM
Wow, I was just offering my opinion, I didn't expect everybody to agree but I didn't expect to be scolded for my choices either.

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert besides NKIT and Already Gone which don't count for some reason, and it has to be an 'older' song too although you also knock me for not including enough of his later songs in the second half when it's chronological order....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best in my opinion. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

And TK, no need to have a stroke, nobody expects the Eagles to really play my setlist. It was just what I would like.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-17-2013, 03:23 PM
Wow, I was just offering my opinion, I didn't expect everybody to agree but I didn't expect to be scolded for my choices either.

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

And TK, no need to have a stroke, nobody expects the Eagles to really play my setlist. It was just what I would like.

The whole point of the list is that it's what you want to hear! I tried to make mine 'realistic' in that in general, there's an even number of songs they both sing leads on in any given concert, not to mention realistic about what songs they'll sing to begin with. To be honest, making it realistic took some of the fun out of it.

It does seem to me that most people at the concerts don't pay attention to who sings what. Their favorite Eagles songs have more to do with what they associate it with in their life rather than who sings the lead or even, to some extent, the voice that sings it.

Freypower
01-17-2013, 06:03 PM

FP ~ I didn't know I was supposed to make sure Glenn has as many leads as Don. I picked my songs based on what I liked, not based on whether Don sings lead or not. It just happened to work out he got more leads but I wasn't counting and honestly I didn't even think about it. For me it's about the music, and it's all Eagles music no matter who sings lead. I can see why it would seem bad if I only had like one Glenn song but he has several and probably the reason why they're the same ones he sings now is because they're the biggest hits. That's a no-brainer. You insist that I should include 'at least' one Glenn song he is not currently doing in concert besides NKIT and Already Gone which don't count for some reason, and it has to be an 'older' song too although you also knock me for not including enough of his later songs in the second half when it's chronological order....why??? I don't keep track of that kind of thing and 99.9% of the audience doesn't either. Like I said for me it's about which songs are best in my opinion. Maybe those songs aren't played now because the audience doesn't like them as well.

Your points are valid. However... I didn't say NKIT & AG don't count, it's just that i know that NKIT will not be reintroduced. I would have liked to see something like Outlaw Man or James Dean suggested especially when you put every one of Don's leads from HC except for The Last Resort in there, plus Those Shoes, plus Doolin-Dalton & its Reprise. A couple of of those songs were not hits. My own preference would be for more LROOE songs.

We can't prove that songs were dropped because the audience didn't like them as well. Neither can we prove that 99% of the audience doesn't care who sings what.

It is not that I am insisting that there be an equal number of leads. It's not that I'm denying that Don sang on the 'big hits' (although NKIT & HT were 'big hits'). But some songs which Glenn sang which were not hits are just as worthy of inclusion as something like Those Shoes or Wasted Time such as Outlaw Man or James Dean, or even The Girl From Yesterday, or Somebody or NMCD. What I guess I am saying is that I don't think a retrospective setlist should necessarily be all about the big hits. They have done that, ad infinitum.

I would totally, completely object to the title track of LROOE being shortened.

As far as LWKUA it would be nice if Tim had more than one song. The ideal would be to introduce Do Something. I don't think that will happen. I would also like to see King Of Hollywood in there (I would drop The Long Run, although I know that won't happen either).

TBS, I don't mind your list at all, although there still isn't enough of Glenn in the second half. If Somebody could be squeezed in there, I'd be happy with that, I guess.

Brooke
01-18-2013, 10:21 AM
What I guess I am saying is that I don't think a retrospective setlist should necessarily be all about the big hits. They have done that, ad infinitum.

I really hadn't thought about that, Fp, but I agree. I may need to redo my list with that in mind. Let's dig out some of the obscure songs. :hmm:

This will take some time as I'm not very good at this.

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 11:49 AM
I'm going to go for some more obscure songs too when I make mine, but truthfully part of the reason why the hits are popular is because those are some really terrific songs. Folks like to hear 'em... including me! An Eagles show without "Take It Easy" is just wrong, for instance.

I have to admit, the idea of chronological order really appeals to the OCD tendencies in me. How cool would it be to see videos of them through the years, in order, behind them as they play? Plus, it really fits into the "retrospective theme." Finally, it's DIFFERENT, glory hallelujah! As much as I adore the Eagles, even I am getting tired of the same-old same-old. In fact, if they didn't change it up, I'd probably only go to one concert a year (which for me is a small amount lol).

That being said, I think it should be chronological up until the encores. That can be kind of separate, occupying its own space with its own rules, and thus not having to coincide with the chronological theme of the rest of the show.

Troubadour
01-18-2013, 11:52 AM
I have to admit, the idea of chronological order really appeals to the OCD tendencies in me.

This gave me a giggle.

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 11:58 AM
We can't prove that songs were dropped because the audience didn't like them as well. Neither can we prove that 99% of the audience doesn't care who sings what.

Certainly there has been no survey done, although I think realistically only we hardcores get all worked up over the number of leads. I don't need a statistician to tell me most of the people there just want to hear the hits.

However, I agree that lack of popularity is not the sole reason songs have been dropped. Several songs were dropped because of their difficulty to sing rather than their lack of popularity (admittedly, I have no proof of this, but why else drop NKIT?). Plus, they have so many popular songs that they can't fit them all in, so naturally even some that are popular won't be able to remain in their shortened setlist. Along those lines - please God let the retrospective tour have a longer set! Especially if it's the last major tour!

HD, you have every right to create a setlist consisting only of songs you like best. This is supposed to be fun, not a test to see if you can make a setlist that fits the ideals and preferences of other members whom you should not have to feel obliged to please.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 02:34 PM
Several songs were dropped because of their difficulty to sing rather than their lack of popularity (admittedly, I have no proof of this, but why else drop NKIT?).

I so want to hear NKIT! I know it's difficult to sing, and if they brought it down a key or two, I could sing along much easier! It's a song I had no problems singing even a few years ago, but lately, even the noise cancelling headphones aren't helping me out. I can't imagine what the neighbors think.

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 04:02 PM
I can sing along with the song just fine until we get to "willing to hold her" - then all bets are off. Maybe I'll hit it right, maybe I won't - it usually depends on if I'm sitting or standing. lol

If it's just a couple notes that give him trouble, maybe he could change it slightly like Don does for "Heart of the Matter" where he doesn't go all the way up on "I'm learning to live without you now."

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 05:39 PM
OK, my list, in chronological order except for the intermission and encores:

Take It Easy
Witchy Woman
Peaceful Easy Feeling
Desperado
Doolin-Dalton with Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise
Outlaw Man
Tequila Sunrise
On the Border
Ol' 55
Best of My Love
Already Gone
James Dean

Seven Bridges Road
One of These Nights
Lyin' Eyes
After the Thrill Is Gone
Victim of Love
New Kid in Town
The Long Run
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
Those Shoes
Love Will Keep Us Alive
Get Over It
Life's Been Good
Somebody
How Long

[Encore 1]
Waiting in the Weeds
Life in the Fast Lane
Heartache Tonight

[Encore 2]
Hotel California
Take It to the Limit

With new music, I wanted "Do Something" and "What Do I Do with My Heart" but they just didn't seem to fit the flow because the Eagles typically like to amp it up right before the encore. The problem is I [I]really want to hear those ballads! I love them! Plus, they've never been played live before, and it would be neat if the Eagles would do songs that haven't ever been done before. I'm not sure what to do about them. This isn't as easy as it looks! Plus, my setlist already is three songs longer than the original LROOE setlist (I justified this with three songs could take the place of "Long Road Out of Eden.")

I also wanted "Out of Control", "Hole in the World," and "No More Cloudy Days" but I sacrificed them to make the numbers more manageable.

I know we've been saying "New Kid in Town" is unrealistic but I feel it could be adjusted to work.

"Seven Bridges Road" might at first appear to be out of order but remember that was recorded earlier, while Randy was still in the band, even though it was first released in 1980.

I put "waiting in the Weeds" in the encore because it has a cyclical theme to it - "waiting for my time to come around again" - and thus fits the overall theme.

I know "Life's Been Good" seems out of place because I said "no solo" but I figured we needed something fast and fun there and honestly, that song is better than Joe's LROOE stuff, specifically "Guilty of the Crime" which would be the other option since LGTIT is too slow. Plus, life HAS been pretty good for these guys, so it goes with the theme, and as it was never released as an Eagles song unless you count Live we don't have to concern ourselves with chronological order there.

No "Desperado" as the last song, please. That is tired. TITTL is a song of immense power and ends on an uplifting note which fits thematically - the Eagles take it to the limit EVERY time.

And FP, please don't get all agitated because Glenn doesn't sing as many leads as Don in the second half. He sings more in the first half. It all evens out.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 05:48 PM
I had Hole In The World in my list originally and it broke my heart to remove it. That song means so much to me... It and What Do I Do With My Heart are definitely the Eagles songs I think of most often. I don't need to play them because I can hear them so very clearly in my head.

Freypower
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
According to Eagles Live Seven Bridges Road was recorded on July 28, 1980, at the Santa Monica Civic Auditorium, and therefore features Tim, not Randy. Randy features on TITTL, NKIT, Wasted Time & Desperado.

Soda, I am not going to get agitated about the first/second half business any more. I have agonised about it for far too long & I'm sick of it.

I like the majority of your list but I would finish with TIE, not TITTL.

Brooke
01-18-2013, 05:52 PM
Soda, the only problem I see with it is I still think Take It Easy should be the final song. And I love TITTL, I do, but to me, it is kind of a downer song and I don't want to go home feeling down. It needs to be in the set, but not a closer.

Brooke
01-18-2013, 05:53 PM
Lol, Fp, we posted at nearly the same time! I'm witcha on TIE! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 06:00 PM
Oh! My bad about the recorded version of "Seven Bridges Road." However, I stand by my placement because they were performing it as early as the mid-70s.

The reason I put TIE at the front is because when you hear those opening chords, you know you're about to have a lot of fun... in this case, that fun is not just the song but the whole concert!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 06:03 PM
If you go with that argument, then How Long needs to be moved up the list!

sodascouts
01-18-2013, 06:05 PM
Ah, but there was never a studio recording of SBR, so the same rules don't apply to SBR as apply to the studio recording of "How Long." Studio recordings are set in stone chronologically, but recordings from the Live album are not since they are taken from different eras. Therefore, anything that is on the Live album is not bound by the same rules of chronology. This is perfectly reasonable according to Nancy Logic. ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 06:18 PM
This is perfectly reasonable according to Nancy Logic. ;)

I just love 'Nancy logic'!!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-18-2013, 11:01 PM
Well...duh, I looked back over my list and I see where I did put in Hole In the World! I guess I couldn't let it go...

lizzyplays
01-18-2013, 11:41 PM
I'm scared to make a list. :fear::headscratch::nervous::stunned::hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 12:14 AM
I'm scared to make a list. :fear::headscratch::nervous::stunned::hilarious:

I already know your list! Since they'll probably show footage from 'back in the day' while playing the songs, you'll pick all the songs where Glenn has long hair and that's it!!

lizzyplays
01-19-2013, 12:19 AM
Shhhhhhhhhhhh!! Someone will scold me and imma skurred! lol No, I like Don lead songs too of course, or I wouldn't have Hotel California and Desperado to name a few. BUT, I am simply fond of the hits and almost any of the old songs in general! I'm not as big of fan's as you guys on the newer stuff. In fact, Get Over It is probably the only new song I like. lol I guess I'm basically an older Eagles music fan. But, I don't want to get shot for treason or such!! :laugh:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 12:27 AM
Don't worry, we won't shoot you for treason! Most of the fans that show up will want to hear the older hits. Those are the ones that are part of the very fabric of their lives (and mine). The newer songs are nice and I like most of them. They are great to hear. The older ones, though, are part of our history, not just the Eagles history. As they sing them, I'll be having a retrospective of my own life along with them.

WalshFan88
01-19-2013, 04:26 AM
BUT, I am simply fond of the hits and almost any of the old songs in general!

I hear you there. I'm a hits person too, but it'd be nice to hear VOL and songs like that.

lizzyplays
01-19-2013, 06:36 AM
Totally agree Austin I would love to hear almost amy all the old songs hits or not!

Topkat
01-19-2013, 01:23 PM
Soda, I do like your list of songs, with the exception of the encores!!

WITW is not an encore song, IMO & should be placed somewhere toward the end of the show.

As for Take It Easy?? Well, this is my pick for the final encore song, not the first song of the show....
It's like, so long & take it easy! It was a saying some of me & my friends adopted as a goodbye saying to each other in the 70's. I had one guy friend who was constantly saying "take it easy" as he walked away.
I think it is an very appropriate ending for the show, as it brings the band full circle to their very first hit, as well as being upbeat. I don't really like the idea of opening the show with that song even though it was the first hit.

Freypower
01-19-2013, 11:27 PM
Don't worry, we won't shoot you for treason! Most of the fans that show up will want to hear the older hits. Those are the ones that are part of the very fabric of their lives (and mine). The newer songs are nice and I like most of them. They are great to hear. The older ones, though, are part of our history, not just the Eagles history. As they sing them, I'll be having a retrospective of my own life along with them.

I regard LROOE as a huge part of my history.

I wouldn't mind them closing with It's Your World Now as a way of passing the torch, but I know that won't happen. Incredibly underrated song.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-19-2013, 11:51 PM
I regard LROOE as a huge part of my history.

I wouldn't mind them closing with It's Your World Now as a way of passing the torch, but I know that won't happen. Incredibly underrated song.

I guess I refuse to admit that 2007 is 'history'! I'm pretty sure I'm still back in 2005 somewhere. Or perhaps 1985.

I like the idea of IYWN as last, but they aren't ready to pass the torch yet!

Freypower
01-20-2013, 05:26 PM
This is a quotation from the Billboard article. Me like.

GF: It's hard to say what to leave in and what to leave out. We're in a rotating place (of songs) right now.

Don Henley: It's a great problem to have.

GF: I think we feel like people come to hear us play the songs they've been living with. One of my rules, but it's not a cardinal rule, you have to open with a bit of a bang, then you have to settle down with some mid-tempo things and then ramp up to crescendo. But we're also looking at who sings which song -- you don't want the same person to sing three in a row -- what are the guitar changes, does Don have to leave the drums, do I have to move to the piano.

DH: There's a channel on Sirius XM radio called Deep Cuts and I think we have to do a few songs for those people, the ones who didn't just listen to the hit singles.

I could not have said it better myself.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-20-2013, 05:43 PM
Well, you might have called it Deep Tracks. Since that's the name of the station!

sodascouts
01-20-2013, 05:58 PM
Hearing that makes me happy, too. It also makes me hope they will indeed have a longer setlist.

TimothyBFan
01-20-2013, 06:53 PM
Well, you might have called it Deep Tracks. Since that's the name of the station!

:hilarious: I caught that too.

Brooke
01-20-2013, 07:10 PM
DH: There's a channel on Sirius XM radio called Deep Cuts and I think we have to do a few songs for those people, the ones who didn't just listen to the hit singles.

This is me! This is me! Yes, Don, yes! :blueblob:

Cuts/tracks, whatever! This makes me very, very happy! Oh, please! :pray:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-21-2013, 04:18 PM
OK. Let's switch gears. If you could get one 'deep track' in the upcoming tour, what would it be and why? There are tracks on Very Best Of that I'd be surprised if they played, but I don't consider them 'deep tracks'. What do you all think?

Brooke
01-21-2013, 04:38 PM
Deep Tracks picks for me would be:

Doolin-Dalton
Good Day In Hell
Hollywood Waltz
Victim of Love
King of Hollywood
The Girl From Yesterday
Get Over It
Do Something
It's Your World Now

:oops: you said one? Sorry! And why-I love them!

zeldabjr
01-21-2013, 05:01 PM
I'd love to hear Saturday Night...

Freypower
01-21-2013, 05:10 PM
It's Your World Now or any of Glenn's other leads from LROOE that he hasn't sung live (for Eagles purposes this includes You Are Not Alone).

TimothyBFan
01-21-2013, 05:59 PM
I did include my "obscure" song in my original list.... King Of Hollywood. But if you really want to get the crowd rocking... Disco Strangler... just saying. :lol:

Troubadour
01-21-2013, 06:04 PM
My Deep Cut ;) would be Wasted Time or The Last Resort, although I agree with Willie that King of Hollywood would be awesome. I love the funky sound of it and hearing Don sing it live would kill me!

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 06:10 PM
I did include my "obscure" song in my original list.... King Of Hollywood. But if you really want to get the crowd rocking... Disco Strangler... just saying. :lol:

I think that would be more likely to get the crowd retching. :lol:

There are so many deep tracks I'd love to hear, but if I had to pick one...

It would be the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise. It's just so poetic and ever since the first time I heard it on a live bootleg from 1976, it's struck me and stayed with me. "Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring..."

Troubadour
01-21-2013, 06:16 PM
Oh, I love that too. The version on the Kirshner show is great, and it would be incredible to hear it live!

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 06:25 PM
Imagine them showing that fabulous 1973 cowboy footage on the big screen behind them as they do the song on the retrospective tour! It would be absolutely epic!

Troubadour
01-21-2013, 06:30 PM
Agreed. I have a feeling this tour will have many "shiver up the spine" moments!

Freypower
01-21-2013, 06:57 PM
If they were to do that they would have to do the entire song, not just the Reprise.

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 07:13 PM
You're right. I just abbreviated it, as it's a bit awkward to write Doolin-Dalton/Doolin-Dalton Desperado Reprise. However, they would definitely have to do both.

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-21-2013, 07:32 PM
I think that would be more likely to get the crowd retching. :lol:

There are so many deep tracks I'd love to hear, but if I had to pick one...

It would be the Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise. It's just so poetic and ever since the first time I heard it on a live bootleg from 1976, it's struck me and stayed with me. "Ain't it hard when you're all alone in the center ring..."

Doolin-Dalton/Desperado Reprise is my favorite eagles song. I'd love to hear Doolin Daltons, desperado and then the reprise in order. I think that would rock.
:yay:

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 07:33 PM
I think they'd need to do Desperado first - the Reprise ties it to Doolin-Dalton. In order for this to happen, they'd have to get over the idea that Desperado must be an encore song.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-21-2013, 08:03 PM
I like the idea of Out of Control, though I'm still thinking about it. I like that they wrote it, and I'm sure they have a lot of footage they could show during the song that would support it. :grin:

Brooke
01-21-2013, 08:11 PM
Well, surely, if this is a retro tour they will do more than one or two deep tracks. I stand by my list. I want it all! :lol:

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-21-2013, 08:22 PM
Crazy idea: Maybe they should do album dates.. like at this location they will play all of the Desperado album and then their other greatest hits. I would so go anywhere for that concert. I love that whole album. ;-)

Freypower
01-21-2013, 08:27 PM
I just don't think that would work. There are too many songs by former members they would have to adapt. I can't see them playing a whole album.

sodascouts
01-21-2013, 08:30 PM
As much as I love Desperado, I have to agree with Freypower here. I think they'd have a tough time handling the Bernie and Randy songs, although Glenn did a terrific job with TITTL.

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-21-2013, 08:34 PM
I just don't think that would work. There are too many songs by former members they would have to adapt. I can't see them playing a whole album.

Sad but true...I know:yay: they can bring back the original members for that day. :spin: lol I know, i got to quit taking my crazy pills. So i'll just go back to hoping to hear doolin dalton/desperado reprise :nod:

Topkat
01-21-2013, 08:56 PM
Some deep tracks I wouldn't mind hearing:

Those Shoes
Hole in the World
Somebody
Guilty of the Crime
Business as Usual

I can't pick just one, but I guess maybe Those Shoes

lizzyplays
01-21-2013, 11:43 PM
The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

And if anyone hollers at me, I'm taking my bunnies and going home!!:spin:

TimothyBFan
01-22-2013, 10:12 AM
The Greeks Don't Want No Freaks

:yay: I knew I could count on you to see it my way, my sister from another mother!!!

Houston Debutante
01-22-2013, 03:54 PM
I love the idea of Desperado - Doolin Dalton - Doolin Dalton/Desperado Reprise with the old footage behind them. It would be a real narrative and wasn't that what the Desperado album was about? Telling a story?

Another of the lesser known tracks that I would love to hear is Those Shoes. Don sounds so hot on that.

Troubadour
01-22-2013, 04:01 PM
:yay: I knew I could count on you to see it my way, my sister from another mother!!!

How about 'my sister from another mister'? ;)

Scarlet Sun
01-22-2013, 04:20 PM
The extended version of Earlybird. No sense in having Bernie around without a banjo showcase

VAisForEagleLovers
01-22-2013, 05:10 PM
With Don saying that 'some former members' will be involved in the tour, does this change the setlist you want? Or the deep track of choice (or choices in some cases :grin: )

Personally, I'd like to see them have guests, kind of like Bob Seger is doing on his current tour with Kid Rock and Joe. I think I put in the dream thread that I actually dreamed a few months back of seeing Jackson on stage with them here in DC.

Freypower
01-22-2013, 05:23 PM
It would give me an additional deep track in Try & Love Again if Randy were up to it. But I am not sure that he will be. So if Bernie does appear my additional deep track would be Train Leaves Here This Morning.

I will now summarise my deep tracks:

It's Your World Now/You Are Not Alone (either would do)
What Do I Do With My Heart
Ol '55
Outlaw Man
Pretty Maids All In A Row
King Of Hollywood
Those Shoes
Train Leaves Here This Morning

lizzyplays
01-22-2013, 07:03 PM

Woohoo! And not one person scolded me! hehe I pretty much flew under the radar (which, if you know me, is a miracle in itself) lolol

VAisForEagleLovers
01-22-2013, 07:17 PM
Woohoo! And not one person scolded me! hehe I pretty much flew under the radar (which, if you know me, is a miracle in itself) lolol

While Greeks Don't Want No Freaks isn't my first choice of a deep track, it's a song I listen to often, so no scolding from me!

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-22-2013, 07:58 PM
Sad but true...I know:yay: they can bring back the original members for that day. :spin: lol I know, i got to quit taking my crazy pills. So i'll just go back to hoping to hear doolin dalton/desperado reprise :nod:

Maybe I wasn't so crazy after all. :twisted: If Randy and Bernie come back then I'd love to hear Certain kind of fool and My man.:headbang:

Houston Debutante
01-23-2013, 01:28 PM

Lucky you! That song's not my favorite but I wouldn't mind hearing it because Don can make anything sound good, even lyrics about puking on your girlfriend. :lol:

lizzyplays
01-24-2013, 11:24 AM
Definitely not my favorite, but it's SO silly and upbeat and would surely be one of the LEAST expected for them to break out with! :-D

sodascouts
01-24-2013, 12:53 PM
Can you imagine the looks on everyone's faces as Glenn hollers "Gator!!"? Lol!

01-24-2013, 01:10 PM
I would lose it if he did that, I'm sure. It's just something about him doing that is so funny and silly. I really don't know why, but it cracks me up everytime I hear the song.

Houston Debutante
01-24-2013, 02:47 PM
Does anybody here know how to do the Gator? Maybe we could do some line dancing.:lol:

lizzyplays
01-24-2013, 05:25 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Can you imagine a large crowd getting silly with this? it would be a blast in my opinion!!:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-24-2013, 05:35 PM
As most of you know, I'm never silly. :lie:

zeldabjr
01-24-2013, 05:51 PM
That's what I'm talking about! Can you imagine a large crowd getting silly with this? it would be a blast in my opinion!!:thumbsup:

I think you've got somethin' there Lizzy!...I can imagine...and it would be a blast!

lizzyplays
01-26-2013, 05:37 PM
As most of you know, I'm never silly. :lie:

Oh, you're silly alright!:hilarious:

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-27-2013, 01:24 PM
Definitely not my favorite, but it's SO silly and upbeat and would surely be one of the LEAST expected for them to break out with! :-D

If we are going silly, how about this LOL: the Guys do disco strangler in disco clothes. Then one guy can be the strangler and sneak up on the other members. Question though: who would make the best strangler in the eagles?

lizzyplays
01-27-2013, 03:07 PM
If we are going silly, how about this LOL: the Guys do disco strangler in disco clothes. Then one guy can be the strangler and sneak up on the other members. Question though: who would make the best strangler in the eagles?

Without a doubt, JOE would make the best strangler!

VAisForEagleLovers
01-27-2013, 03:08 PM
Without a doubt, JOE would make the best strangler!

I was thinking he'd handle being strangled pretty well!

lizzyplays
01-27-2013, 03:22 PM
LOL I just see him as a perpetrator! And a sneaky one, at that!

sodascouts
01-29-2013, 03:12 AM
So, according to this article (http://www.atlanticcityinsiders.com/headliners/don-henley-takes-over-revel-friday/article_4ad672be-6721-11e2-b9fa-001a4bcf887a.html), it's just Bernie who's being considered to join them. I wonder if it would be for one or two times, or for the whole tour?

Oh my gosh, how awesome would it be to hear them do "Earlybird" with a rip-roarin' solo at the end?! This is so amazing!

TimothyBFan
01-29-2013, 08:42 AM
(Guitarist) Bernie Leadon is the only ex-member we’re considering at the moment. There has been no talk of another Eagles album, but you never know. We’ll see how the tour goes.

I'm glad but bummed all at the same time. Really had my hopes up when the mentioned ex-memberS in the press conference.

And wasn't there also mention of a possible new album? Now Don says no. :worried:

Troubadour
01-29-2013, 03:03 PM
Sorry you're a bit disappointed, Willie. :hug: But don't get despondent about the album - he's not saying it won't happen, just that it's not a priority at the moment. They've been busy and they've got a hectic couple of years coming up with the tour... There will be plenty for us to enjoy. I agree though that a new album would be the icing on the cake!

TimothyBFan
01-29-2013, 03:49 PM
But I want it ALLLLLLLL!!! and NOWWWWWWW!!!!! :hilarious:

Freypower
01-29-2013, 07:20 PM
So, according to this article (http://www.atlanticcityinsiders.com/headliners/don-henley-takes-over-revel-friday/article_4ad672be-6721-11e2-b9fa-001a4bcf887a.html), it's just Bernie who's being considered to join them. I wonder if it would be for one or two times, or for the whole tour?

Oh my gosh, how awesome would it be to hear them do "Earlybird" with a rip-roarin' solo at the end?! This is so amazing!

I guess it depends if you like Earlybird. I would much prefer Train Leaves Here This Morning or Bitter Creek if they could make all the 'doo doo doo' stuff at the end more interesting.

In any case Don apparently said the History tour is 'not set in stone'.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-29-2013, 08:01 PM
Don didn't say it wasn't set in stone exactly, just words to that effect. I forget the exact quote. I should have been more clear in the other thread!

Hearing him (Bernie) sing lead on a song or two would be great, but I'm looking forward to hearing a banjo.

01-29-2013, 10:35 PM
This will be so cool! I guess we're all over the place here, but my preference to hear from Bernie would be My Man. One thing I'm wondering is if they would announce which shows Bernie would be appearing at or would they just surprise folks. I would hope they would announce it so us fans could plan accordingly.

It is somewhat disappointing that the others probably won't be appearing. I honestly didn't hold much hope that Felder would be included, but I was hoping that Randy's health would permit it him to appear.

RebeccaLovesEagles
01-29-2013, 11:22 PM
LOL I just see him as a perpetrator! And a sneaky one, at that!

I agree with you guys that Joe is an obvious choice. What do you think about DH being the strangler. Ever since I watched Farewell 1 during the long run number, when he was singing too Joe and the look would be the perfect precursor to a strangling. Think who would suspect Don. :thud: He got me

Houston Debutante
01-30-2013, 12:57 PM
I would love to see Bernie play with them, just for the history of it. Too bad he's the only member being considered though. :(

tequila girl
01-30-2013, 01:28 PM
I've been wondering if maybe Randy would be well enough to just turn up (at some point) and be introduced on stage to take a bow....and lots & lots of applause!?

sodascouts
01-30-2013, 02:00 PM
This will be so cool! I guess we're all over the place here, but my preference to hear from Bernie would be My Man. One thing I'm wondering is if they would announce which shows Bernie would be appearing at or would they just surprise folks. I would hope they would announce it so us fans could plan accordingly.

It is somewhat disappointing that the others probably won't be appearing. I honestly didn't hold much hope that Felder would be included, but I was hoping that Randy's health would permit it him to appear.

"My Man" is my favorite song of Bernie's with the Eagles, and I would love to hear it live. The reason I mentioned "Earlybird" is because it's a showcase for his banjo talents, but "My Man" would be especially cool because it's never been done live before that I'm aware of. The Eagles taking this opportunity to do a Bernie song for the first time in ages would be incredible.

It would be wonderful if Randy could make a quick appearance at a show, even if he didn't play.

Brooke
01-30-2013, 03:32 PM
I'd love to be at a show where Bernie showed up, or any of them for that matter. I'd choose My Man, Bitter Creek or Train for Bernie to do. Any of them would be awesome! I'd even take Earlybird! Maybe! :lol:

I wish Randy could make one too. Where does he live, anyone know? If they were in a city close and he was having a good day, maybe he could......

Troubadour
01-30-2013, 03:36 PM
I wouldn't mind hearing Twenty-One, either! I love the version they did on Kirshner in '74. Bernie sounds great and Don is adorable drumming and doing the harmonies.

It would be incredibly moving if Randy were to take the stage with the band, even for a few minutes.

sodascouts
01-30-2013, 03:43 PM
Randy currently lives in Studio City, the last I heard. If he were to make an appearance, I imagine it would be for an LA show.

Glennsallnighter
01-30-2013, 08:09 PM
While the schedule of touring wouldn't suit Randy he could possibly do very well at a carefully selected show. One of the characteristics of Alzheimers is that sufferers tend to revert back to the past, and also to situations and rituals which were an intergral part of their past years. Things that they did on an ongoing basis (such as a craft) they can remember in quite a detailed way, at least in the earlier stages.

Meaning that if he were actually physically well enough he might actually be in a situation where he would be genuinely thinking he was back touring with the band, just not realise that it was 35-40 years later.

Just a thought!

Freypower
01-30-2013, 08:31 PM
While the schedule of touring wouldn't suit Randy he could possibly do very well at a carefully selected show. One of the characteristics of Alzheimers is that sufferers tend to revert back to the past, and also to situations and rituals which were an intergral part of their past years. Things that they did on an ongoing basis (such as a craft) they can remember in quite a detailed way, at least in the earlier stages.

Meaning that if he were actually physically well enough he might actually be in a situation where he would be genuinely thinking he was back touring with the band, just not realise that it was 35-40 years later.

Just a thought!

I don't know how to say this so I will be blunt. I think that would be very, very sad, awkward, whatever you wish to call it. I think even a quick appearance may be too much. I believe that Randy's welfare must come before the wishes of fans. Having said that I obviously do not know how far advanced his Alzheimer's actually is.

They appear not to be considering Randy at all and I respct their decision.

AftertheThrill
01-30-2013, 11:12 PM
I keep thinking about Glen Campbell and his appearance on the Grammy's. Glen seemed really happy to be on that stage and it would be wonderful if Randy could have one more moment.

It really makes me sad to think of one of the guys having such a horrible disease.

Topkat
01-30-2013, 11:48 PM

Just a thought!

I don't have much experience with Alzheimers, but I have not heard this. From what I hear or have experienced with people is that they don't remember people or things that they did or said even 2 minutes ago. It's very sad. We don't really know Randy's condition at this time. It would be really nice to see him up there, but I don't think it's going to happen.

TimothyBFan
01-31-2013, 09:36 AM
I keep thinking about Glen Campbell and his appearance on the Grammy's. Glen seemed really happy to be on that stage and it would be wonderful if Randy could have one more moment.

It really makes me sad to think of one of the guys having such a horrible disease.

First, welcome ATT!!!!

Second, funny you should mention Glen because that was actually the first thing I thought about when they mentioned former members. He did a great job also but I believe he was in the early stages of the disease at the time her performed there. Fact is, none of us know to what extent Randy has been affected by the disease. I've had 2 friends that have lost their parents from it and it was ugly, ugly, ugly, especially toward the end. They become childlike after awhile. They do tend to remember things from long, long ago but can't remember what they had for their last meal or see someone and recognize them and then 5 minutes later not know who they are. So very sad.

I guess time will tell for Randy.

Brooke
01-31-2013, 11:42 AM
Yeah, none of us know just how bad it really is for Randy. I wish he could do it, but the guys didn't mention him, so......

If nothing else, it would be cool if he could come to a show and be acknowledged in the crowd. Just a thought.

01-31-2013, 04:06 PM
Well I know GA is dealing with this now with her father and, unfortunately, I have a lot more experience with this horrible disease than I care to because I lost my Mom to it three years ago. It is a very sad, dreadful disease, indeed.

I agree that it's a possibility that Randy could perform or at least make an appearance unless he is in the advanced stages of the disease. I think about Glen Campbell performing as well. In the early or mid stages, a lot of victims do remember a lot more about the past than they do the present. My Mom would often give us very detailed descriptions of things that happened during her younger days, but, yet, didn't even know she was sitting in her own living room. As soon as a month before she passed, we used to put music on and dance with her. And BTW - her favorite song to dance to in her last year was How Long.

Glennsallnighter
01-31-2013, 06:33 PM
I don't have much experience with Alzheimers, but I have not heard this. From what I hear or have experienced with people is that they don't remember people or things that they did or said even 2 minutes ago. It's very sad. We don't really know Randy's condition at this time. It would be really nice to see him up there, but I don't think it's going to happen.

Thats exactly what I'm trying to say TK. And again I would be aware that Dreamer would have a lot more knowledge of the progress of this disease than I would.
The thing is, as far as I'm aware the memory starts to go in a ' last in first out' manner. So while Dad (who still seems to be stable enough in the early stages) may not remember what day it is, even if he only asked a few minutes before, or may think one of my kids is one of his kids, or would keep asking 'whose funeral/party/graduation is this again?' he has no trouble with memories of his youth, his schooldays, his jobs, early years of the family etc. he still remembers latin which he learned in school and is teaching it to Chris! But again, ask him what he had for dinner and he has no idea!

So its possible that Randy could remember, say TITTL like he sang it yesterday.... because perhaps in his mind thats when he DID last sing with the boys... KWIM?

Topkat
01-31-2013, 07:15 PM
Yeah, none of us know just how bad it really is for Randy. I wish he could do it, but the guys didn't mention him, so......

If nothing else, it would be cool if he could come to a show and be acknowledged in the crowd. Just a thought.

Yes. It would be nice even if he just came out to say hello & take a bow with the guys....If it was going to be a performance, you know they would have to practice it, because they wouldn't want it to sound off. I'm not sure if Randy still plays guitar these days? Well, it would be nice to see him, even if he doesn't play.

He seems pretty young to have this disease. I mean isn't he only about 65 or 66? That seems young to get Alzheimers, but like I said I don't have much experience with this disease.

GlennLover
02-01-2013, 10:12 PM
Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before. I can't remember if it was a video or in print. (Sometimes I think I'm getting it! :brickwall:)

It's not unusual now for people in their fifties to get Alzhiemers.

Troubadour
02-02-2013, 09:10 AM
Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before.

Oh, that's really nice to hear!

Topkat
02-02-2013, 10:06 AM
Don F said in a pretty recent interview that he had played golf with Randy a couple of weeks before. I can't remember if it was a video or in print. (Sometimes I think I'm getting it! :brickwall:)

It's not unusual now for people in their fifties to get Alzhiemers.

Well I'm glad Randy is getting out to play golf, that's a good sign. I didn't realize you can get this even in your 50's. The only people that I knew of that had it were in their 70's or 80's, which I guess is more common. It's just that I don't believe there is any cure for it & it seems to get progressively worse. Maybe there are some meds these days that can slow it down or stop it from getting worse.

TimothyBFan
02-04-2013, 10:00 AM
Well I'm glad Randy is getting out to play golf, that's a good sign. I didn't realize you can get this even in your 50's. The only people that I knew of that had it were in their 70's or 80's, which I guess is more common. It's just that I don't believe there is any cure for it & it seems to get progressively worse. Maybe there are some meds these days that can slow it down or stop it from getting worse.

My sister in law's father was diagnosed 5 years ago at the age of 66 and has a ton of meds he takes daily. My sis in law goes over to his house (he still lives alone and does pretty well) every Sunday and gets them all organized and he has a special watch that tells him when he needs to take them, etc... plus people checking in periodically. He has good days and bad days and is still driving, which scares the sh*t out of me :fear: but so far, so good. SIL is a nurse and I think that's part of the reason he's been able to live independently still. She says the meds are improving every year for this but a long way from being a cure. Very sad disease.

Glad to hear Randy and Don F are still seeing each other and that Randy is able to still get out and enjoy life.

Houston Debutante
02-04-2013, 12:18 PM
The disease has many stages, no need to assume he's at its worst point. Sounds like he's still able to have a good time and maybe he could appear at a show.

Topkat
02-04-2013, 01:36 PM
The disease has many stages, no need to assume he's at its worst point. Sounds like he's still able to have a good time and maybe he could appear at a show.

I wouldn't assume anything about Randy's condition. I only wish the best for him. I just don't think from what Don has been saying in recent interviews that Randy or Don Felder will be part of the new tour. I believe he said just Bernie.

sodascouts
02-04-2013, 02:36 PM
He did just say Bernie. I don't think that precludes the possibility that Randy may pop in for a few minutes at an LA show and sing backup on Take It Easy during an encore ala the Hall of Fame. Such an appearance wouldn't be significant enough for Don to mention in the context of being "involved" in the tour, but it could happen. You never know!

Topkat
02-04-2013, 05:10 PM
He did just say Bernie. I don't think that precludes the possibility that Randy may pop in for a few minutes at an LA show and sing backup on Take It Easy during an encore ala the Hall of Fame. Such an appearance wouldn't be significant enough for Don to mention in the context of being "involved" in the tour, but it could happen. You never know!

You know that would be really nice, but Don doesn't strike me as the type to do anything that spontaneous....especially when it comes to the music. Anything like that would have to be planned & rehearsed. Could happen, but not counting on it.

GettheLeadonOut!!
02-04-2013, 06:59 PM
I soooo hope this happens!! As a major Bernie fan, I am super fired up!!!:

Q: Can you elaborate on the History of the Eagles tour that will take place this summer. You previously mentioned it will involve past members of the band. Who? Any chance of a new album with the reunited band?

Henley: (Guitarist) Bernie Leadon is the only ex-member we’re considering at the moment. There has been no talk of another Eagles album, but you never know. We’ll see how the tour goes.

Source:

http://www.hayspost.com/2013/01/31/kfix-rock-news-don-henley-talks-solo-album-eagles-tour-plans/

VAisForEagleLovers
02-04-2013, 07:08 PM
Great find!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-04-2013, 07:27 PM
great news,,,,,

It would be neat to see it happen..hope it works out

sodascouts
02-04-2013, 07:30 PM
Yes, we've been talking about this quote here (towards the end of the thread): https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4040 - it's very exciting!!!

GettheLeadonOut!!
02-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Yes, we've been talking about this quote here (towards the end of the thread): https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4040 - it's very exciting!!!

Sorry I missed this one soda. and yes, very exciting!

SallyGee
02-04-2013, 08:50 PM
Wow! This would be so cool! Keeping my fingers crossed!

zeldabjr
02-04-2013, 08:55 PM
It would be very cool as I don't really remember Bernie...and would love to see him!!!

RebeccaLovesEagles
02-04-2013, 10:32 PM
i'd love to see Bernie :partytime:

sodascouts
02-05-2013, 02:04 PM
Now that I know which Fleetwood Mac shows I'm going to, I'm antsy to plan my Eagles shows... I wonder when they'll start releasing dates?

I also hope Don tours a bit solo to support his new album. It doesn't have to be a mega-tour; it can be just a few dates like Glenn's, but I'd like to see a show. Those videos posted of Atlantic City as well as the reviews have whetted my appetite.

Henley Honey
02-05-2013, 03:12 PM
Now that I know which Fleetwood Mac shows I'm going to, I'm antsy to plan my Eagles shows... I wonder when they'll start releasing dates?

I also hope Don tours a bit solo to support his new album. It doesn't have to be a mega-tour; it can be just a few dates like Glenn's, but I'd like to see a show. Those videos posted of Atlantic City as well as the reviews have whetted my appetite.

I totally agree. I'm hoping they give us sufficient time to make affordable travel plans. I hate it when you score good seats but then have to pay exhorbitant travel costs!

Houston Debutante
02-05-2013, 04:23 PM
Me too, but I hope I won't have to travel too far. I only plan on going to one show.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2013, 05:49 PM
I keep thinking that they almost have to come to DC early in the tour, which seriously reduces my travel costs! Besides the fact they've not been to DC since Nov. 2008, since they had one of their earliest gigs at The Cellar Door it would be fitting to make this an early stop on the tour!

prayfordaylight
02-06-2013, 10:52 AM
I keep thinking that they almost have to come to DC early in the tour, which seriously reduces my travel costs! Besides the fact they've not been to DC since Nov. 2008, since they had one of their earliest gigs at The Cellar Door it would be fitting to make this an early stop on the tour!

::fingers crossed::

Would be nice to save money since I'm already traveling for Fleetwood Mac.

Henley Honey
02-06-2013, 07:52 PM
So in reading the "Today In Eagles History" note, today is the anniversary of Don Felder's $200,000,000. lawsuit against Eagles, Ltd. as well as Don Henley and Glenn Frey personally. That's two hundred million. If there was a shadow of a doubt before, there is no longer any doubt in mind as to whether or not he'll be invited to be a part of the new tour. I can give you 200,000,000 reasons why he won't be. Ouch.

zeldabjr
02-06-2013, 08:25 PM
yeah HH I think you're 200,000,000 percent right!!!

Topkat
02-06-2013, 09:28 PM

I was wondering about that also. This seems pretty tight to the release of Don's album...I would think he would tour it for at least 2 months??? But maybe that's not happening??? Wonder if we will get any answers about Don doing some solo shows?

Freypower
02-06-2013, 09:50 PM
I was wondering about that also. This seems pretty tight to the release of Don's album...I would think he would tour it for at least 2 months??? But maybe that's not happening??? Wonder if we will get any answers about Don doing some solo shows?

Glenn didn't tour for 2 months in the States with his album. Don may wish to be different, or he may not.

02-06-2013, 10:09 PM
So in reading the "Today In Eagles History" note, today is the anniversary of Don Felder's $200,000,000. lawsuit against Eagles, Ltd. as well as Don Henley and Glenn Frey personally. That's two hundred million. If there was a shadow of a doubt before, there is no longer any doubt in mind as to whether or not he'll be invited to be a part of the new tour. I can give you 200,000,000 reasons why he won't be. Ouch.

I hear ya, HH. While the terms of the final settlement remain undisclosed, it was allegedly somewhere between $20 - $30 million. Although that's a small percentage of what Felder originally asked for, it's nothing to bat an eye over. So even if there are only 20,000,000 reasons why he won't be invited, that enough to convince me that it ain't gonna happen. :nope:

Topkat
02-06-2013, 11:59 PM
I hear ya, HH. While the terms of the final settlement remain undisclosed, it was allegedly somewhere between $20 - $30 million. Although that's a small percentage of what Felder originally asked for, it's nothing to bat an eye over. So even if there are only 20,000,000 reasons why he won't be invited, that enough to convince me that it ain't gonna happen. :nope:

People always sue for way more than they know they will get. I mean, people sued a coffee company for like $5 million because the coffee was too hot!
Why drudge this sad saga up again?? We all know Felder isn't going to be playing on the tour.:-(
That whole episode of Eagles history just makes me sad.:-(

WalshFan88
02-07-2013, 12:26 AM
That's why Part 1 will be much more interesting and upbeat for me than Part 2. ;)

I think Felder belongs in the Eagles as far as guitar playing goes both as far as skill and as far as contribution to classic licks, but I'm not on either "side" as far as the firing goes. I have seen the Eagles post-Felder (and likely would/will again), and I would love to see a Felder band show. If Joe had been fired as well or left, especially at the same time (for whatever reason), perhaps I'd admittedly not like the current Eagles as much or go. I will admit that. I realize DH and GF are the focal Eagles but the sum are greater than it's parts.....

I think Felder got a raw deal with the firing, but I also quite realize that his lawsuit sealed the deal - although hoping feels good. But it sure bites hard when you (and I mean anyone) inevitably get disappointed even though you knew it would never happened but were in some state of denial and had a sliver of hope although I think we all knew the chances were slimmer than none. I'd like to say I've given up hope of seeing Felder with the Eagles, but that small sliver of hope sure is clingy and doesn't want to go away, as painful as it is to hold onto it.

I'm happy for Bernie that he was possibly/probably invited to play at least a few shows, and I'm sure if Randy was in good condition he would have been too, as I don't think either left the band in a firing or bitter end. But still even though at this point I know it will not happen, I wish they could at least have Felder up there for one song even, but I know the wounds are too deep on both parties to even consider it. Again, it's that "sliver of hope" thing. C'est la vie.

I guess I'm very happy they didn't leave Felder out of the doc, although I'm quite aware it was the filmmakers that probably asked him to be in there, but I'm glad he was able to talk about the band and what happened. I just hope that we might hear back and forth stories between Don, Glenn, and Felder (obviously not in the same room being recorded :D) as to what went down. Henley releasing a book in the distant future sounds highly interesting, although he did say it would be a long while.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-07-2013, 12:41 AM
Henley releasing a book in the distant future sounds highly interesting, although he did say it would be a long while.

Yeah, both Glenn and Don have mentioned autobiographies. I think they should wait a good, long while before writing them, because their stories are far far from over.

WalshFan88
02-07-2013, 01:15 AM
Yeah, both Glenn and Don have mentioned autobiographies. I think they should wait a good, long while before writing them, because their stories are far far from over.

For sure.

02-07-2013, 01:56 AM
I think it's natural that fans would want to see all of the members on stage for the tour because, like Austin, I believe all seven members made their own unique contribution to the band. But, of course, I'll accept whatever happens because it is beyond my control.

People always sue for way more than they know they will get. I mean, people sued a coffee company for like $5 million because the coffee was too hot!
Why drudge this sad saga up again?? We all know Felder isn't going to be playing on the tour.:-(
That whole episode of Eagles history just makes me sad.:-(

TK - I think it's pretty common knowledge that people sue for more than they expect to get. My post was meant to be a tongue-in-cheek response to HH's post - so sorry if it didn't come across that way. I'm also sorry that any mention of Felder and the lawsuit makes you sad, but, on an Eagles message board, the subject is bound to come up on occasion. We are mature adults and should be able to discuss Felder and any other topic in a civil, intelligent, and rational manner even if there is disagreement. If a topic causes anyone to get emotionally charged or upset, it may be best for that person to avoid posting about it.

TimothyBFan
02-07-2013, 08:42 AM
We all know Felder isn't going to be playing on the tour.:-(

Sorry but no, we don't KNOW that Felder isn't going to be playing on the tour. Nobody has come right out and said "Don Felder will not be a part of it". (Unless I've missed something somewhere.) All we've heard is "former members" would be a part of and Bernie for sure. Since there's only 3 "former members" I think it's feasible that some people might have to swallow their pride and actually let him come on stage for a song or 2 at some point in the tour. No one can deny he's a huge part of Eagles history, bad blood or not.

I might just be hoping and know it probably won't happen, but I will not just assume or say it definitely isn't going to happen till I hear it out of the horses mouths their selves.

Freypower
02-07-2013, 05:43 PM
Don Henley was quoted as saying the only former member being considered for a part in this tour is Bernie Leadon. I cannot provide a link, but that is what he said.

This subject has become so sensitive now that I am reluctant to say any more, but it is not just Frey & Henley who would have to swallow their pride. A lot of stuff was said in that book & in a couple of Felder's recent songs. Is Felder going to retract all of that? I don't think so.

Brooke
02-07-2013, 05:52 PM
I have to agree with HH and dreamer, 200,000,000 or 20,000,000, it doesn't really matter. I don't think Felder will EVER be invited to join them again.

Get over it? Not THAT much money! I don't think it would be possible to get over being sued. jmo. :lol:

TimothyBFan
02-07-2013, 06:05 PM
Don Henley was quoted as saying the only former member being considered for a part in this tour is Bernie Leadon. I cannot provide a link, but that is what he said.

This subject has become so sensitive now that I am reluctant to say any more, but it is not just Frey & Henley who would have to swallow their pride. A lot of stuff was said in that book & in a couple of Felder's recent songs. Is Felder going to retract all of that? I don't think so.

I remember Henley saying that but just about the same time, he or Glenn also were quoted as saying "former members".

As far as swallowing their pride.... yeah, I meant Frey & Henley. I mean, it's pretty bad when Henley won't even speak the man's name. Yes, Felder sued and has made a complete ass of himself at times over the whole lawsuit but in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, they all could all grow up and do this for THE FANS!!! It is also my opinion that Felder would very much love getting back on that stage only temporarily for a song or two for this anniversary. Why not move on and do it for THE FANS.

As for the songs, and I'm asking because I really don't know, was it ever actually said that those songs were about the Eagles and what happened or is this just presumption on our parts?

Freypower
02-07-2013, 06:12 PM
It's presumption; but if you read the lyrics of You Don't Have Me & part of the lyrics of Money it seems fairly obvious. The line from You Don't Have Me 'it takes an empty heart & a wicked soul' is fairly explicit. From Money, 'partners conspire/like rabid vampires/best way to shake you down'.... need I continue?

You can't just say that because 'the fans' would like it to happen that Frey & Henley just have to suddenly pretend years of animosity didn't occur. It's too late for that, in my opinion. I am a cynic, which may be sad, but it's more realistic. Felder was fired & he was fired for various reasons. He is not the innocent victim he paints himself. People feel sorry for him because they have only heard his side of the story.

I understand the 'forgiveness' thing but sometimes it is not possible.

lizzyplays
02-08-2013, 01:21 AM
I remember Henley saying that but just about the same time, he or Glenn also were quoted as saying "former members".

As far as swallowing their pride.... yeah, I meant Frey & Henley. I mean, it's pretty bad when Henley won't even speak the man's name. Yes, Felder sued and has made a complete ass of himself at times over the whole lawsuit but in my opinion, and it is only my opinion, they all could all grow up and do this for THE FANS!!! It is also my opinion that Felder would very much love getting back on that stage only temporarily for a song or two for this anniversary. Why not move on and do it for THE FANS.

As for the songs, and I'm asking because I really don't know, was it ever actually said that those songs were about the Eagles and what happened or is this just presumption on our parts?

As always, 100% agreed.

02-08-2013, 02:01 PM

IIRC, Felder stated definitively in several interviews when he was promoting his new album that there were songs on the album about that period of time in his life. He didn't specifically state the names of the songs, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. I can't point exactly to the specific interviews because there were quite a few around that time. But, if anyone is really interested in hearing his remarks, I'm sure you can find them by following some of the interview links in his thread about the new album.

Now this is just my opinion, but in a perfect world, all the former members would appear. However, as has been mentioned, whether it has anything to do with forgiveness or maturity or anything else, there just doesn't seem to be any love lost between these guys. I don't think any of them have a cordial enough relationship with Felder at this point to make it worth the trouble and stress.

Houston Debutante
02-08-2013, 03:22 PM
Forgiveness is never impossible. I've read about some mothers of murdered children forgiving their children's killers and campaigning against their execution here in Texas. If a murder can be forgiven by the victim's mother I don't think it's impossible to forgive a lawsuit. But will they choose to forgive? Their decision. Their hearts might not be open to it right now.

sodascouts
02-08-2013, 11:17 PM
IIRC, Felder stated definitively in several interviews when he was promoting his new album that there were songs on the album about that period of time in his life. He didn't specifically state the names of the songs, but it doesn't take rocket science to figure that out. I can't point exactly to the specific interviews because there were quite a few around that time. But, if anyone is really interested in hearing his remarks, I'm sure you can find them by following some of the interview links in his thread about the new album.

Initially, Felder said that there were songs written about the Eagles. Then, after the album release and the backlash from "You Don't Have Me" and "Money," he backed away from that. He tried to say the songs were about his wife at that point... apparently forgetting that he had used the male pronoun in the lyrics. Also, he's said he's on very good terms with his wife and their divorce was not in any way acrimonious, so why in the world would he speak so harshly about her? This is especially true since he initiated the divorce because she wasn't paying enough attention to him and was too wrapped up in her job, by his own admission! Saying he was referring to his wife as "wicked" and one of a group of "partners [who] conspire like rabid vampires" to "shake [him] down" rather than referring to the Eagles is obviously BS shoveled to try and do damage control. Not cool.

You wrote it, you own it, Felder.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't disapprove of Felder writing about his emotional reactions, even if it paints the Eagles negatively. He's just expressing his feelings. However, when he releases songs like that, he has to take the consequences if people - including the guys - are offended.

Topkat
02-08-2013, 11:46 PM
Sorry but no, we don't KNOW that Felder isn't going to be playing on the tour. Nobody has come right out and said "Don Felder will not be a part of it". (Unless I've missed something somewhere.) All we've heard is "former members" would be a part of and Bernie for sure. Since there's only 3 "former members" I think it's feasible that some people might have to swallow their pride and actually let him come on stage for a song or 2 at some point in the tour. No one can deny he's a huge part of Eagles history, bad blood or not.

I might just be hoping and know it probably won't happen, but I will not just assume or say it definitely isn't going to happen till I hear it out of the horses mouths their selves.

I think that when Don said "members" it was a slip up, or maybe he was possibly referring to Randy as the other "former member" that is if that is at all possible....Don Henley calls Felder, 'the other guy" and won't even mention his name, so I am pretty sure that Felder is not part of the tour & will not be invited to play with them. If it happens we will all be SHOCKED....Think of the news that would make????Yeah, they should do it for the fans, but I'm not counting on it.
And he did say in one of the latest interviews that Bernie was the only "former member' they were considering.

Topkat
02-08-2013, 11:50 PM
Here is the article where Don says it will NOT be Don Felder.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-new-solo-album/

Freypower
02-09-2013, 05:27 PM
Initially, Felder said that there were songs written about the Eagles. Then, after the album release and the backlash from "You Don't Have Me" and "Money," he backed away from that. He tried to say the songs were about his wife at that point... apparently forgetting that he had used the male pronoun in the lyrics. Also, he's said he's on very good terms with his wife and their divorce was not in any way acrimonious, so why in the world would he speak so harshly about her? This is especially true since he initiated the divorce because she wasn't paying enough attention to him and was too wrapped up in her job, by his own admission! Saying he was referring to his wife as "wicked" and one of a group of "partners [who] conspire like rabid vampires" to "shake [him] down" rather than referring to the Eagles is obviously BS shoveled to try and do damage control. Not cool.

You wrote it, you own it, Felder.

And I know I'm in the minority here, but I don't disapprove of Felder writing about his emotional reactions, even if it paints the Eagles negatively. He's just expressing his feelings. However, when he releases songs like that, he has to take the consequences if people - including the guys - are offended.

I agree with what you say here & you've said it so well that I need not elaborate.

For your first point though, I didn't know that Felder tried to claim that You Don't Have Me & Money were about his ex-wife. I must have missed that; I wasn't aware that there was such a backlash against those songs although we discussed it here.

I have been extremely reluctant to give any views on this album & still am.

Topkat
02-09-2013, 06:27 PM
I was under the impression that Felder's wife was the one that filed for the divorce....I read the book about 2 years ago, but I don't have the book now to actually look it up, but that is how I remember it. I do recall him saying that his wife was busy with her jewelry business & he was very rarely home, so she found something to do with her time & became rather successful with it..Then when he was around, they didn't have much in common anymore.

Freypower
02-09-2013, 06:32 PM
I was under the impression that Felder's wife was the one that filed for the divorce....I read the book about 2 years ago, but I don't have the book now to actually look it up, but that is how I remember it. I do recall him saying that his wife was busy with her jewelry business & he was very rarely home, so she found something to do with her time & became rather successful with it..Then when he was around, they didn't have much in common anymore.

As Soda said, Felder initiated it. See page 309 following.

Troubadour
02-09-2013, 07:05 PM
Here is the article where Don says it will NOT be Don Felder.

http://ultimateclassicrock.com/don-henley-new-solo-album/

I was going to mention this radio interview, too. Don mentions a former member being involved in the tour and the presenter says something like "I'm guessing it's not going to be Don Felder..." and Don chuckles and says "That was easy, wasn't it?" You can take that as mean if you like but, really, it is just the way it is. I really don't think they sit and stew over it any more or have active hatred towards him, but it's kind of widely accepted that they won't play together again. I'd say that the media constantly makes more out of the "acrimonious split" than the band does. Everyone loves to hear about fights and fallings out, and the band has lived with that for decades. I think this DVD will give us a good insight into things that we are just speculating about at the moment.

Henley Honey
02-09-2013, 09:24 PM
I was going to mention this radio interview, too. Don mentions a former member being involved in the tour and the presenter says something like "I'm guessing it's not going to be Don Felder..." and Don chuckles and says "That was easy, wasn't it?" You can take that as mean if you like but, really, it is just the way it is. I really don't think they sit and stew over it any more or have active hatred towards him, but it's kind of widely accepted that they won't play together again. I'd say that the media constantly makes more out of the "acrimonious split" than the band does. Everyone loves to hear about fights and fallings out, and the band has lived with that for decades. I think this DVD will give us a good insight into things that we are just speculating about at the moment.

Well said. I totally agree.

Topkat
02-09-2013, 11:35 PM
I don't think they stew about it anymore either, I mean it's been several years, but with the DVD coming out & the upcoming tour, people are going to be bringing up Don Felder, so it is just natural that interviewers will bring it up.

Actually, I don't think that we are going to learn much about this particular incident incident in the DVD. I think the legal matters that are involved may be briefly touched on, but I doubt we will learn much. I think the focus will be on the music, and the band in general. I think even the fights will be kept to a minimum.

I think if we get to see Bernie on the tour, that will be huge! I just wonder if it will only be for a brief leg of the tour??

Tiffanny Twisted
02-10-2013, 12:45 AM
Ok , I think Don felder wont ever happen...too much things said and too much things done...
I hear Randy is pretty sick so I dont thin he is able to do it.It is a shame.
I have heard DH quoted in interviews that it will be with Bernie and I think that that would be cool to see since I never got to see him live.
I think it would be nice for us to all just be suprised....isnt that half the fun??? and something to look forward too...a suprise.......to see what they have planned for us their long suffering fans??

TimothyBFan
02-13-2013, 09:46 AM
OMG--- Just heard a little snip on Sirius Classic Vinyl between songs from Bernie!!!! He talked about being with the Burritos prior to the Eagles and said when he left the Eagles it was for his "sanity and his health" and he needed to go to the beach and that helped. :hilarious: (Hope I got that all right because I was so shocked to hear it) Then the DJ said that Bernie would be joining them for a few shows starting this summer.

pueblo47
02-13-2013, 10:40 AM
That makes me happy, happy, happy to hear that!!:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
02-13-2013, 11:05 AM
OMG--- Just heard a little snip on Sirius Classic Vinyl between songs from Bernie!!!! He talked about being with the Burritos prior to the Eagles and said when he left the Eagles it was for his "sanity and his health" and he needed to go to the beach and that helped. :hilarious: (Hope I got that all right because I was so shocked to hear it) Then the DJ said that Bernie would be joining them for a few shows starting this summer.
Wow I guess it might actually be true if DH is quoted as saying it and BL is quoted as saying it too..Yipee..
But??is a few shows a tour ??? or just a stop in here or there kinda thing??
oh well I will be a pollyanna and look at the bright side..:thumbsup:tt

Freypower
02-13-2013, 04:45 PM
The DJ may not have heard what Don & Glenn have said recently where a tour doesn't seem to be high on their priority list.

sodascouts
02-13-2013, 07:10 PM
It's so bizarre. First they're talking tour, even talking about including Bernie, then suddenly it may not even happen this year.... are they just messing with us or did something change?

TimothyBFan
02-14-2013, 08:48 AM
I know--it's getting hard to keep track of what the lastest that's been said is.

Told hubby last night that there's so much being tossed around right now that I've become just in a wait and see and I'll believe it when I actually see state of mind at this point.

zeldabjr
02-14-2013, 09:24 AM
I'm starting to think they really do like messing with our heads!

Topkat
02-14-2013, 04:52 PM
I will be VERY UPSET if there is no tour this year...
If they start a new album...well, as much as we want one, it will probably take them 3 years to do a new album..
I WANT A TOUR with a new set list & then the album, because waiting for new music from them is going to be a verrry loooong waaait!:worried::worried:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-15-2013, 02:14 PM
In my inexpert opinion, if they are going to do a tour anywhere close to the release of the DVD, then Monday/Tuesday would be the best time to announce it. If they are going to wait until summer, then the best time would be to announce it as the DVD is being released. If the Salmon Festival rumor is true, perhaps they'll be doing some dates in Eastern Canada in July? Northeast US?

02-15-2013, 04:12 PM
Of course, I'd love to hear more music, but at this point I'd rather have a new revamped tour than a new album. Unless they already have a big head start on a new album ... and there is absolutely no indication that this is the case, we are several years away from getting that. So for now, I'm happy just to see them live in the flesh for as long as they are willing and able to keep at it. If a new album does come to fruition, then I'd think that they would tour to support that as well.

Topkat
02-15-2013, 04:54 PM
As for them talking about a new album, well so far it seems to be just in the "talking" stage....There has been no indication that they are working on new music lately. I mean Don has been working on his solo album,(for what seems like ages) Glenn & Joe have both released new albums, so I seriously doubt they have any head start on a new Eagles album.

I am just grateful that for now we have the new DVD to look forward to!
I do believe they will support this with a NEW tour starting this spring/summer!
Ya gotta BELIEVE!

oriana123
02-28-2013, 04:35 PM
Hey so I'm oriana from Spain and I want the eagles to come here on tour!! Please!! what do I have to do? I LOVE EAGLES!!! a need them to come to spain, it doesn't matter where part of spain, i'll travel if i can but please come to spain!! If not, are you going to california? cause i'm moving to USA on september, hope you can come!! LOVE YOU!!!

Glennsallnighter
03-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Welcome Oriana. It's great to have another European on board! What part of California are you moving to?

Thirsty&Hot
03-08-2013, 02:17 AM
I heard about this! i sure hope so!

what will be really exciting about this tour, if it's what I think it will be...is that they'll play a lot of older songs live that they probably haven't played live since the 70s!
and if Bernie's there...I hope he sings Train Leaves Here This Morning!