PDA

View Full Version : Top 10 Greatest Voices

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I noticed that this is trending on Twitter today and I found myself giving it some thought and figured it would make a good topic of discussion.

People react to different colors, textures, tastes, styles all very differently. When it comes to voices, there's just a certain part of my brain that responds differently to those than others. There are a couple of people I know, that aren't famous, who have voices I could listen to for hours on end, and I won't bother naming those. When thinking about this, I found it interesting to separate the voice from the way they look, what they sing/talk about, what they may stand for, and just go with the voice only.

#10 Martina McBride
#9 Elvis
#8 Morgan Freeman
#7 Keith Whitley
#6 "Guy who talks between songs on Classic Vinyl" I don't know his name!
#5 Alan Jackson
#4 James Earl Jones
#3 Don Henley
#2 Glenn Frey
#1 Billy Idol

OK, having Billy Idol in my list is embarrassing. Having him as number 1 is even worse. However, if I can listen and not think about him or what he looks like and concentrate only on his voice, it does it for me every time.

As for #2 and #3, what can I say? How lucky am I that two of my favorite voices are in the same band? I love Eagle harmonies, but some of my favorites are when it's just the two of them. When they go back and forth in What Do I Do With My Heart, that's my own little slice of heaven. Seriously.

What does anyone else think? Feel free to pick my list apart, make your own, or give me grief about Billy Idol.

UK TimFan
01-05-2013, 03:19 PM
or give me grief about Billy Idol.
I suspect that most of us will have at least one guilty pleasure (or do I mean 'totally random person' :grin: ) in our list, so I promise not to give you grief over your choice, if you refrain from picking my choice to bits. :smile:

Up to three months ago I would have said Timothy B for my #1, but since hearing 'Don't stop believing' played at a wedding party, Tim has been relegated. (insert 'sit on the naughty step for a very long while' smilie. :grin:)

I admit that I haven't given any thought to just speaking voices, and even my list of singing voices is very limited. Probably because I'm not that 'into' music nowadays.

#1 has to be Steve Perry.
2. Timothy B Schmit
3. Barry Manilow ('Here at the Mayflower' and prior to that)

The next three would probably be Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield, and Don Henley.

After that I don't know. Because 'the greatest' should probably include the likes of Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland, and not just my favourite singers. :smile:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2013, 03:41 PM
I suspect that most of us will have at least one guilty pleasure (or do I mean 'totally random person' :grin: ) in our list, so I promise not to give you grief over your choice, if you refrain from picking my choice to bits. :smile:

Up to three months ago I would have said Timothy B for my #1, but since hearing 'Don't stop believing' played at a wedding party, Tim has been relegated. (insert 'sit on the naughty step for a very long while' smilie. :grin:)

I admit that I haven't given any thought to just speaking voices, and even my list of singing voices is very limited. Probably because I'm not that 'into' music nowadays.

#1 has to be Steve Perry.
2. Timothy B Schmit
3. Barry Manilow ('Here at the Mayflower' and prior to that)

The next three would probably be Karen Carpenter, Dusty Springfield, and Don Henley.

After that I don't know. Because 'the greatest' should probably include the likes of Pavarotti and Joan Sutherland, and not just my favourite singers. :smile:

I know what you mean about the ones that you feel should be on your list. I wrestled with the same thing. In the end I went with the ones that regardless of what I'm doing, I stop and listen. Which is why I don't play Eagles music if I'm working or doing things around the house that require concentration. The voices I like just refuse to be background.

As for Steve Perry, I had a friend from Guatemala, he spoke very little English. Since I don't speak Spanish it was an interesting friendship. He didn't care for rock and roll at all, and since he couldn't understand the words he always tuned it out on the car stereo. Anytime Journey, with Steve Perry, would come on, though, he would sit up and listen and sometimes even turn it up. Didn't matter what song it was.

EagleLady
01-05-2013, 04:01 PM
I'd have Mariah Carey and Whitney Houston at the top of my list. And of course The Guys.

lizzyplays
01-05-2013, 04:25 PM
Gee... you ask some tough questions!! :-?

Here is a temporary list. I reserve the right to change it as someone else comes to mind! I know I will see others listed that I just haven't thought of yet.

Robert Plant (Led Zeppelin)
Axl Rose (Guns N Roses)
Tom Keifer (Cinderella)
Bradley Delp (Boston)
David Gilmour (Pink Floyd)
Jim Morrison (The Doors)
Glenn Frey (Eagles)
Marvin Gaye
Jimi Hendrix
Mick Jagger (Rolling Stones)

Ok, I edited and added Jagger. No clue how I left him off to begin with.

EagleLady
01-05-2013, 04:36 PM
How Could I forget Percy? :steviesmack: I'll add him to my list.

Topkat
01-05-2013, 04:54 PM
I'm going to go with the voices that come to me right from the top of my head, without thinking too much about it, & with that said, I will have to name these as some of my most favorite voices;

Christina Aguilera
Timothy B Schmit
Adam Lambert
Eddie Vedder
Kelly Clarkson
Steve Marriott
Paul McCartney
Art Garfunkel
Roger Daltrey
Gwen Stefani
Smokey Robinson

Freypower
01-05-2013, 05:30 PM
With speaking voices, most of the people I admire are no longer with us, such as Richard Burton & Laurence Olivier. I couldn't do a list like this for speaking voices because I have insufficient knowledge. For classical singing I would list Placido Domingo.

As far as singing voices for me since 1977 it has been Glenn Frey & then daylight. There is nobody else in anywhere near the same league. However I will give honourable mentions to the following:

Mark Knopfler
Robert Plant
Paul McCartney
John Lennon
Mick Jagger

I love Jimi Hendrix's voice as well but I wouldn't put it in this list.

Prettymaid
01-05-2013, 05:35 PM
Good topic, VA! And I love that you included Morgan Freeman. Puts a whole different spin on the subject. I think we've done favorite singers here.

My guilty pleasure is John Mayer. If you're a woman and know his history, he can't be too high on your 'descent people' list. But when I hear that voice.... and it wasn't always like that. It's only been this past year that I noticed that his soft, whispery vocal does something for me.

On the female side, Natalie Merchant has a quality to her voice that I just love. I understand completely what you mean, VA, about this being a personal thing, and I think you explained that very well.

As far as non-singers? Off the top of my head I enjoy James Earl Jones a lot.

ETA: I have a co-worker who I could listen to for hours. Her voice has a sing-song quality to it that makes it very pleasant, unlike my own voice, which I would describe as a human donkey. :mrgreen:

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2013, 06:03 PM
Yes, this topic is all about the voice and not what it sings, says, even how it sings or speaks, or the music or whatever behind it. Just the voice and what it does for you. I was surprised how many people on Twitter mentioned the guy who does the Allstate commercials as their favorite voice.

TimothyBFan
01-05-2013, 06:17 PM
These are the voices that first come to mind I love, in no particular order:

Benjamin Orr
Johnny Lang
Sam Elliott
Powers Boothe
Timothy B Schmit
Don Henley
Patrick Stewart
Paul Rodgers
Chris Rea
Ann Wilson

Topkat
01-05-2013, 06:19 PM
As for a speaking voice, I am the biggest sucker for a guy with a British accent.
I once dated a guy that had this & I would replay his voice messages over & over again on my answering machine....I think I was in love with his voice...more than him!!!:thud:

Tiffanny Twisted
01-05-2013, 08:40 PM
wow great thread idea/topic

If we are talking about speaking the word and not singing...what comes to my mind first is

Tom HArdy (the dude with Chris Pine and Reese Witherspoon movie) not into the guy but love the voice...sexy
that being said..for me eveytime christian grey talked in the book I heard the voice of the actor on Days of our lives who plays EJ DImera. Dont know why , I just do ..The gals at work tease me about it all the time..
I also love Tom Sellick and MArk Walhberg.
Now if we are talking about singing...

Don Henley, Glenn Frye, Eric Clapton and the late Dan Fogelberg.
I can add more later if they come to mind but this is off the top of my head.
all Just my opinion

zeldabjr
01-05-2013, 09:20 PM
so far I have...Timothy B...Don Henley...Steve Perry...Paul Rodgers...Ann Wilson...

Witchy Woman
01-05-2013, 09:51 PM
1. Don Henley
2. Gary LeVox
3. Tony Harnell
4. Steve Perry
5. David Pack
6. Freddie Mercury
7. Rob Halford
8. Ronnie James Dio
9. Mike Matajevic
10. Paul McCartney

Ive always been a dreamer
01-05-2013, 10:13 PM
Wow - this is pretty hard. The ones that immediately come to my mind that stop me in my tracks when I hear them speak are ...

Glenn Frey
Don Henley
Elvis Presley
James Earl Jones
Morgan Freeman

VAisForEagleLovers
01-05-2013, 10:14 PM
Patrick Stewart

Yes, I like his voice, too. I might need to think about this now...

Troubadour
01-05-2013, 11:22 PM
Singing voices:

Don Henley
Lyle Lovett
Richard Manuel
Rick Danko
Van Morrison
Trisha Yearwood
Gram Parsons
Zac Brown
Stephen Stills
James Taylor

As for speaking voices, Don's husky Texan drawl gets me every time! I also love Alan Rickman's voice. If I could speak like Joanna Lumley, I would. She speaks so beautifully and has that real seductive tone to her voice. I just love her in general!

UK TimFan
01-06-2013, 12:39 AM
For an unrelated reason, I've just been looking at my music collection and found another name that should perhaps be on my list.
Don't like his more recent stuff, but his voice is just beautiful - Scott Walker.

Henley Honey
01-06-2013, 12:46 AM
I don't think I know him, UKTF. Maybe it'll be a case of when I hear him I'll know him. Can you recommend any songs?

zeldabjr
01-06-2013, 01:16 AM
Singing voices:

Don Henley
Lyle Lovett
Richard Manuel
Rick Danko
Van Morrison
Trisha Yearwood
Gram Parsons
Zac Brown
Stephen Stills
James Taylor

As for speaking voices, Don's husky Texan drawl gets me every time! I also love Alan Rickman's voice. If I could speak like Joanna Lumley, I would. She speaks so beautifully and has that real seductive tone to her voice. I just love her in general!

OH Lou...I'm with you on Alan Rickman...love him!

UK TimFan
01-06-2013, 01:35 AM
Scott was one third of the Walker Brothers in the mid-60s onwards.
Their first real hit was 'Love her'.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIZe_dLa58U
Scott on his own
Joanna - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wUSmO1ttMvY
Lady came from Baltimore - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i5SYlNlHTGw
Archangel - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PsazkyWAcFU

Scott also recorded quite a few Jacques Brel songs, one of which is Amsterdam.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uF_eVJ7WYaY

Freypower
01-06-2013, 05:10 PM
Barack Obama has an inspiring voice at least to me. Oratory is very rare these days. You could almost say that there has not been an orator of note since Martin Luther King Jr. The days of 'great speeches' seem to be behind us.

On a lighter note I am a sucker for my husband's Geordie (north east England) accent & I love hearing people from his area talk. I suspect the only one Americans would know is Brian Johnson from AC/DC, because they tend to 'clean up' the accent to make it more 'understandable' (Mark Knopfler, Sting, Bryan Ferry). There is a comedian from the area called Sarah Millican & she sounds exactly like my mother-in-law.

I would add Van Morrison to my list of favourite singing voices, but when he keeps it simple & doesn't overdo it. The same goes for Elvis Presley. And Freddie Mercury.

I forgot Kate Bush. She really is the only female singer that I admire without question.

Brooke
01-06-2013, 05:24 PM
I think I would have to separate the singing voices and speaking voices.

Speaking:

Sam Elliott (lots of western movies including Tombstone and "Beef. It's what's for dinner" commercial.) Love his voice!

Morgan Freeman
James Earl Jones

Singing:

Steve Perry
Dennis DeYoung
Brad Delp
Don Henley
Glenn Frey
Paul Rogers
Ann Wilson
Martine McBride
Karen Carpenter

I've never really been able to decide whose voice is more beautiful between Steve Perry, Dennis DeYoung or Brad Delp! I usually say Steve, but have doubts about it for sure!

maryc2130
01-06-2013, 06:13 PM
This is an interesting question, and as has been said, very personal in what moves an individual. I'm not sure if I could come up with ten without a lot more thought, but off the top of my head:

For speaking voices, I agree with Morgan Freeman and James Earl Jones. They both have such deep, resonant voices. I'd also add Martin Sheen in there - I think he could read from the phone book and I'd listen!

As for singers, Mr. Don Henley definitely tops my list! And there's something about that Texas drawl because even though I'm not a huge fan, there's something about the resonance in Kenny Roger's voice that I love. Two old-timers would make me stop and listen everytime because of the unusual timbres of their voices, especially with Christmas carols - Bing Crosby and Harry Belafonte.

I remember seeing Simon and Garfunkel for the first time on Saturday Night Live, and it just blew me away. They opened their mouths and the most perfect harmony came out! They both have good voices individually - but together, they're fantastic.

I think I would also add TBS and perhaps GF to my list, and definitely the sound of the Eagles' harmonies together is hard to beat, although I know that wasn't the question!

Brooke
01-07-2013, 10:53 AM
Another speaking voice I forgot was Ted Williams, the homeless man with the golden voice that was reported about on NBC a while back.

SallyGee
01-08-2013, 09:45 PM
It took me a while but here's my list.
Timothy B. Schmit (big surprise)
James Taylor
Josh Groban
Jackson Browne
James Earl Jones
Johnny Depp
Paul McCartney
Steve Perry
Cary Grant
Nicolette Larson

Outlawman13
03-26-2013, 12:31 AM
Mine would have to be:

Men voices:
Glenn Frey
Jim Morrison
John Lennon
Ben Orr
Randy Meisner
Don Henley
Tom Petty
Johnny Depp
Michael Paynter
Ville Valo

Females:
Lisa Kelly
Loreena McKennitt
Kelly Clarkson
Natalie Imbrugila
Sarah McLachlan

UK TimFan
05-20-2013, 04:45 AM
Considering her connection to the Eagles I can't believe no-one has yet mentioned Linda Ronstadt.
I've heard of her and listened to (and liked!) some of her songs on YouTube but have never really taken a huge amount of notice of her.
That changed about five minutes ago when I heard this song, especially the last 30 seconds or so. :woah: What an absolutely stunning voice.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=GjCqTI2TxRo

Brooke
05-25-2013, 10:21 AM
Linda is awesome, but I've never replaced the vinyls with cds. I really should do that! Thanks for the reminder UK!

Troubadour
05-25-2013, 12:18 PM
If I didn't mention Linda previously, I really should have done! She is one of my favourite female vocalists; such a strong, beautiful voice.

wasl89
06-11-2013, 07:33 AM
Here's my top 10:

10. Brad Delp (Boston)
9. Bruce Springsteen
8. Bill Withers
7. Ronald Isley (Isley Brothers)
6. Jonathan Jeremiah
5. Linda Perry (4 Non Blondes)
4. Axl Rose (Guns N' Roses)
3. Josh Groban
2. Mike Scott (Waterboys)
1. Eagles (Randy, Don H., Glenn, Bernie, Joe, Don F.)