PDA

View Full Version : Greetings from Manila, Philippines

gibsonmartin
01-06-2013, 03:19 AM
Hi fellow Eagles fanatics,

I'm GibsonMartin from Manila, Philippines. I discovered this messageboard by accident as I was alarmed to learn about Timothy Schmit's illness. The other reason I'm signing up here is because my wife and I resolve to attend the next Eagles concert in Southeast Asia after we skipped the ones that they held in Singapore, HK, Thailand, etc. We were hoping against hope up to the last minute that they would include Manila in their itinerary to no avail. I am a long-time Eagles and Henley fan. I also happen to be a serious guitar player. Thus, the name above. I also collect vinyl albums. To date, I have all of the Eagles albums on vinyl format save for their debut which I'm hoping they will reissue as a 180gram vinyl and Hell Freezes Over which currently sells at $ 200 in the Ebay and other vinyl messageboards.

Looking forward to advance info in case the Eagles or Henley performs in Asia in the near future.

Thanks.

gibsonmartin
01-06-2013, 04:43 AM
I really hope fortune smiles on us and allows the Eagles to visit Asia in 2013.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-06-2013, 12:26 PM
Welcome, GM, it's been great having you on the board, and your input and observations have added to our community quite nicely!! As far as I know, you're our only active poster from Asia, so you're doubly welcome here. It's nice to get perspectives from so many different places.

Tiffanny Twisted
01-06-2013, 12:50 PM
:blueblob::cheers: WELCOME:wave::cheers:

Prettymaid
Hi GM and welcome to The Border! I've already been enjoying your posts. I accidentally found this site also, back in 2008, when I was looking for reviews of recent Eagles shows. This is a great group of people. Hope you're having fun here!

Glennsallnighter
I was just thinking that too VA, that now that GM is in board we have posters from all 5 continents! Is it true that the sun never sets on the Border?

Welcome GM from Dublin in Ireland - must be the far side of the world to you!

Ive always been a dreamer
01-06-2013, 01:22 PM
Well, I'd like to also officially welcome you to the board, GM. As others have said, it's great to have someone here on The Border from your part of the world. Hope you'll continue to chime right in on the discussion here, and find this to be a friendly, informative community. Enjoy!

zeldabjr
01-06-2013, 04:01 PM
Hi GM and welcome to The Border!...it's like my home now...hope you love it too!

GlennLover
01-06-2013, 04:23 PM
Welcome from the east coast of Canada, GM! Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!:smile:

Freypower
01-06-2013, 05:01 PM
Well GM, I'm not all that far from you, as I'm in Sydney. Have fun here. I don't know that Asia/Australia will happen until 2014, though.

timfan
01-06-2013, 05:27 PM
Welcome GM! Glad you've joined us! :)

sodascouts
01-06-2013, 08:21 PM
Welcome GM! It's great having you as a member of The Border!

Grey Sadler
01-06-2013, 10:58 PM
Hey GM!! :wave:
Greetings from the "pointy end" of Tennessee!! :lol:

Brooke
01-07-2013, 03:03 PM
GM, welcome to The Border from the Show Me State-Missouri-in the heartland of America! We are so glad you have found us and decided to join in! This is a wonderful community if you love the Eagles! There are some very hardcore fans amongst us and there is lots to learn here!

prayfordaylight
01-07-2013, 04:59 PM
Welcome to the Border!

WalshFan88
01-08-2013, 12:23 AM
Welcome!

TimothyBFan
01-08-2013, 10:26 AM
Welcome, GM, from the great Midwest of the United States. I've also already enjoying your post. Carry on!

gibsonmartin
01-08-2013, 10:35 AM
Welcome, GM, it's been great having you on the board, and your input and observations have added to our community quite nicely!! As far as I know, you're our only active poster from Asia, so you're doubly welcome here. It's nice to get perspectives from so many different places.

Thanks, VK for the warm welcome and the nice compliment. :)

gibsonmartin
01-08-2013, 10:38 AM
Hi GM and welcome to The Border! I've already been enjoying your posts. I accidentally found this site also, back in 2008, when I was looking for reviews of recent Eagles shows. This is a great group of people. Hope you're having fun here!

Thanks, Cathy. I can't agree more. :thumbsup:

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:21 AM
:blueblob::cheers: WELCOME:wave::cheers:
Thanks for the nice emoticons, Tiffany Twisted.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:23 AM
I was just thinking that too VA, that now that GM is in board we have posters from all 5 continents! Is it true that the sun never sets on the Border?

Welcome GM from Dublin in Ireland - must be the far side of the world to you!

Thanks, Glennsallnighter. Wow, that's the homeland of my other fave bands - U2 and The Corrs.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:26 AM
Well, I'd like to also officially welcome you to the board, GM. As others have said, it's great to have someone here on The Border from your part of the world. Hope you'll continue to chime right in on the discussion here, and find this to be a friendly, informative community. Enjoy!

Thanks, IABAD. Will do. I also write for/post regularly in another blogsite for vinyl hobbyists and I must say, this messageboard community outranks my older site in terms of warmth and information.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:28 AM
Hi GM and welcome to The Border!...it's like my home now...hope you love it too!

Thanks, Zeldabjr.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:30 AM
Welcome from the east coast of Canada, GM! Hope you enjoy it here as much as I do!:smile:

Thanks, Ann. Got a lot of near mint records from Canada which is also one of the fave countries of Filipinos when it comes to migration.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:32 AM
Well GM, I'm not all that far from you, as I'm in Sydney. Have fun here. I don't know that Asia/Australia will happen until 2014, though.

Thanks for the heads up, Freypower. Alas for me, although Australia is near the Philippines, most airlines charge practically the same amount they would charge you if you're traveling to the U.S. which was why we were unable to check out the Coldplay concert there last year.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:33 AM
Welcome GM! Glad you've joined us! :)

Thank you, Timfan.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:35 AM
Welcome GM! It's great having you as a member of The Border!

Thank you Soda. Appreciate the fact that you were the first member of this community to respond to my post.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:37 AM
Hey GM!! :wave:
Greetings from the "pointy end" of Tennessee!! :lol:

Thank you, Grey Sadler. Brings back nice memories of my parents dancing to and singing along to the Tennessee Waltz. :bye:

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:39 AM
GM, welcome to The Border from the Show Me State-Missouri-in the heartland of America! We are so glad you have found us and decided to join in! This is a wonderful community if you love the Eagles! There are some very hardcore fans amongst us and there is lots to learn here!

Ei, thanks, Brooke. Looking forward to deepening my appreciation for the musical legacy of the Eagles with your valuable help.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:40 AM
[quote=prayfordaylight;206781]Welcome to the Border![/

Thanks, Prayfordaylight.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:42 AM
Welcome!

Thanks, Austin. Hope to learn some guitar techniques from you as you're the resident guitar expert. For starters, would you know of the best guitar tab book for Eagles songs? Thanks.

gibsonmartin
01-09-2013, 11:43 AM
Welcome, GM, from the great Midwest of the United States. I've also already enjoying your post. Carry on!

Many thanks, TimothyBFan. I like Waiting in the Weeds as well. 8)

WalshFan88
01-12-2013, 02:21 AM
Thanks, Austin. Hope to learn some guitar techniques from you as you're the resident guitar expert. For starters, would you know of the best guitar tab book for Eagles songs? Thanks.

Sorry but I'm not going to be much help there! I'm a "by ear" guitarist. I've never learned to read tab, sheet music, or any musical notation. I just prefer doing it the old rock n' roll way of playing to records and figuring it out and keep rewinding. :D

That said, I have the old Hotel California songbook that I got from a guitarist in my old band and I love it - but more for memorabilia and photos than it's sheet music! :hilarious:

gibsonmartin
01-12-2013, 12:41 PM
Sorry but I'm not going to be much help there! I'm a "by ear" guitarist. I've never learned to read tab, sheet music, or any musical notation. I just prefer doing it the old rock n' roll way of playing to records and figuring it out and keep rewinding. :D

That said, I have the old Hotel California songbook that I got from a guitarist in my old band and I love it - but more for memorabilia and photos than it's sheet music! :hilarious:

Thanks, WalshFan88.

Glennsallnighter
01-13-2013, 06:27 AM
What level do you play at? I mean there is a very easy one that I use but I woukdn't suggest it if you are in anyway good. There is also an excellent compilation based on the 2 disc 'Their Greatest Hits' set. It is much more sophisticated and has piano as well. Expensive but worth it!

(Soda, I think you bought it when we were in the Music shop in LA?)

sodascouts
01-13-2013, 03:29 PM
Yes. I don't play guitar but the photos in there were terrific!

gibsonmartin
01-16-2013, 11:23 AM
What level do you play at? I mean there is a very easy one that I use but I woukdn't suggest it if you are in anyway good. There is also an excellent compilation based on the 2 disc 'Their Greatest Hits' set. It is much more sophisticated and has piano as well. Expensive but worth it!

(Soda, I think you bought it when we were in the Music shop in LA?)

Hi Glennsallnighter. I can play the guitar intro of Hotel California within the first 5 frets. I can also play the entire melody line of that song accompanied by the bass line from the first stanza to the chorus, etc. I can fingerpick the melody line along with the bass line of songs like The Heart of the Matter, Best of My Love, I Can't Tell You Why but I've yet to master frets 6 to 12 which is where the action is during the guitar duel between Walsh and Felder towards the end of Hotel California but I hope to get there soonest thru the CAGED system.

moniquebliss
02-01-2013, 08:39 AM
Hello Gibson! I'm Monique and I'm also from Philippines, I grew up in Caloocan then my family just migrate here in US after I graduated elementary. I only visited the country 4 times since then. How's our beloved country now?

Buy Piano Sheet Music (http://choralworksinc.com/piano-accompaniment-sheet-music.html)