PDA

View Full Version : Feb. 21 2013, QPAC, Brisbane, Australia

VAisForEagleLovers
02-21-2013, 08:29 PM
Finally! An audio review, and the lady who is telling the review can't say enough good things. Sounds like the same setlist as The Wiltern (included Here's To Life). The man talking to her asked if there was anything negative about the concert at all and she said 'absolutely nothing bad to say about anything', or words to that effect.

http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/02/kate-home-reviews-glenn-frey-and-the-queensland-pops-orchestra.html?site=brisbane&program=612_breakfast

Troubadour
02-21-2013, 08:30 PM
Great, VA - thanks! Good to hear. :thumbsup:

GlennLover
02-21-2013, 09:31 PM
And FP was there!!!!

sodascouts
02-21-2013, 10:33 PM
Thanks VA.

I can't wait to read FP's review!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-21-2013, 10:42 PM
I can't wait to read FP's review!

Same here! It seems Aussie's don't sit through a concert and tweet like a lot of Americans seem to. I've found a picture of the empty stage, a very blurry picture of a guitar, and a couple of Troy Cassar-Daley (the opening act) that he posted himself. He did say that he heard Glenn during the sound check, "Amazing!!! What a tone", and that he shook Glenn's hand "What a hand to shake #legend".

Tiffanny Twisted
02-21-2013, 11:44 PM
yeah for gf...:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
02-22-2013, 04:25 AM
Sounds like a great start for Glenn :heart: in Australia. I'm delighted for him that it's all positive. And FP I'm on my nerves waiting for your review!

Enjoy Melbourne tonight!

Brooke
02-22-2013, 10:38 AM
Fp, where are you! I've seen a snippet on Fb and it sounds amazing, but can't wait to hear more! :pace:

Freypower
02-22-2013, 05:31 PM
Hi all I don't find it easy posting on the phone. Bris was personal & Melb was vocally superb.

GlennLover
02-22-2013, 11:22 PM
I understand. I don't like posting on the phone either. We'll just be glad to hear whenever it is convienient for you.

Freypower
02-23-2013, 12:56 AM
I should apologise for the appalling Australian media, although according to QPAC's Facebook page he was shown rehearsing on Channel 7 News.

I will get to the reviews probably on Monday.

By the way, as with the American T shirts there is a mistake on the Australian one. It lists Hobart whereas he is actually playing Tamworth & Newcastle.

Glennsallnighter
02-23-2013, 05:39 AM
Doesn't matter about the towns FP! Will you get me a t-shirt though? Any other merchandise?

Sounds like you've had a wonderful experience. I'm thrilled for you :hug: And more to come next week too!

Looking forward to reading your reviews!

Troubadour
02-23-2013, 06:57 AM
Yep, can't wait to read your reviews, FP!

GlennLover
02-23-2013, 11:47 AM
Doesn't matter about the towns for me either.

I'll enjoy the anticipation of waiting for your reviews! :nod:

Brooke
02-23-2013, 11:55 AM
Yep, we understand Fp! Enjoy your times!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-23-2013, 12:01 PM
have a blast fp:spin:

Freypower
02-24-2013, 12:35 AM
Doesn't matter about the towns FP! Will you get me a t-shirt though? Any other merchandise?

Sounds like you've had a wonderful experience. I'm thrilled for you :hug: And more to come next week too!

Looking forward to reading your reviews!

The merchandise was exactly the same as in the US. I will probably get a 2013 keyring.

I know you want to read what I have to say but if you could be patient until tomorrow I'll be grateful. It was awesome being so close, I will say that, and the After Hours songs were wonderful. Then there was something which happened at the end which some of my FB friends know a bit about. Nothing better has happened to me at any show I have ever seen in my entire life.

More tomorrow.

Glennsallnighter
02-24-2013, 05:56 AM
Thanks FP, and post when you are ready to, it's a busy time!

It took me 2 weeks to get my LA review up! I know what it's like!

Freypower
02-24-2013, 09:21 PM
This is not written as a song by song review, more a collection of thoughts. I wish to start with a couple of minor concerns. I thought that perhaps he wasn't all that happy with his performance because before TITTL he said 'it's singalong time. You can help out an old soldier who's losing his voice'. This line was not repeated in Melbourne. I thought the only major error was in HTL where at the last 'may all your storms be weathered' he started singing 'dreams' instead of 'storms' & had to instantly correct himself, but he smiled at it. There were a couple of minor glitches during Caroline, No. He has also reverted to the falsetto in the bridge of YBTTC. The only other disappointment was him playing guitar in THIO (the Duesenberg). The arrangement was much tighter & less spontaneous than the version I saw in LA. I think he would have been better just singing rather than using the guitar as a prop.

I was front row just to his right. It was an amazing view; such a shame then that photography was strictly forbidden. Because I was so close to him I probably didn't listen as closely as I should have done or look at how he moved. I did more of that in Melbourne.

He was wearing the black suit & there was a white thread hanging from his jacket. Much later I observed another thread on the hem of his trousers. This is what happens when you are close.

When he first hit the stage he saw me pretty quickly. I then kept wondering did he remember me? Well, put it this way. As more & more anecdotes were delivered to my side of the stage it became quite obvious that he did. So I made sure I responded in an appropriate manner - nodding sagely at the praise of Randy Newman & mouthing 'where mother is half a word' along with him after he introduced Roberto who is from Detroit like himself.

Another standout moment came during my beloved Swamp Smuggler's Blues which was perfect as usual. The line 'they hide it up in Telluride' became 'they hide it up in Jindabyne'. Who told him Jindabyne, NSW is our equivalent of a ski resort? The Brisbane audience loved this; the Melbourne audience didn't seem to pick up on it, which was strange, because the Melbourne crowd was more 'cluey'.

The After Hours songs were wonderful. I cannot get enough of the way he moves during Route 66 & how he does a bit of scat singing at the end. FSR was beautiful; smooth, rich & creamy (I like it a lot more now I've seen it up close). TSOYS was intense. TLOL probably had the biggest crowd reaction. As for the magnficent Here's To Life I was gratified to hear him say that it reminded him of his own life & it was one of his particular favourites. Same Girl was stately, majestic, aching, passionate - I am totally addicted to the way he sings this song. The mic stand clutching moments I like so much occurred during SG & Caroline, No & when he was talking.

The rendition of Desperado was the best I have ever seen. It was note perfect. It was a privilege to watch. After the 'much' moment he shared with Danny in Lyin' Eyes he looked at me as if to draw me into it. (In 2004 I had him sing the word directly to me). I got another very nice glance before Danny's solo in YBTTC. Sometimes his eyes are hard to see. Not this time. He did not do On The Way Home.

At the end, before the first encore, people gave a standing ovation & those at the front went to the edge of the stage. I was extremely fortunate in that the band entered & exited to their right, so they had to come past me. So there I was, staring. He winked at me. Wow, I thought. He then came right up in front of me, looked down at me & said 'you've come a long way'.

Did he mean Niagara Falls or did he remember back to Sydney? Anyway I blurted out 'you knew I'd be here'! I think this is true. I am so glad that I had enough presence of mind to speak to him. I held out my hand out of instinct. He took it briefly but then he leaned down & kissed me on the cheek. He then stood back up, smiled & said to me 'thanks for coming, sweetheart'. He then left the stage.

I said, 'oh, Glenn'. I collapsed back into my seat & saw the people behind staring open-mouthed at me. Then the people next to me reassured me that he DID kiss me on the cheek because I did not remember that at all; it happened so quickly. Then suddenly it came into my head; the SOUND of it, the imprint of it, the feel of it. Does that make sense?

He does know me & he took the time to do that. It is the best thing that has ever happened to me at a concert & one of the highlights of my life. I know there are people here who have met him & talked to him, but to quote MK for me I thought it was 'beyond my wildest dreams' that this could happen to me. Bless him. I am proud of him & proud of all he has done & proud to be a fan. I am so happy & privileged that he shared this music with us & that he & I 'shared these moments'.

timfan
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
OMG Julie!! I am Speechless! I am literally sitting here grinning at the computer. I could not be happier for you Hun. I know how long you've waited to have such an encounter with Glenn and it sounds like it was worth the wait and definately an evening you will NEVER forget!!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-24-2013, 09:48 PM
I literally have tears running, FP, that's how very happy I am for you! Wow! Is he not the absolute best rock star ever? What an absolute sweetheart!

**Sigh**, your review is making me desperately wish for a few After Hour dates of our own! I so badly want to hear HTL live. To once again hear the pure perfection of TSOYS. To melt into my seat at TLOL! I'm glad it all went very well.

I assume the back-up band was all the usual guys? Will was there and not the 'new' Will?

Freypower
02-24-2013, 09:57 PM
I literally have tears running, FP, that's how very happy I am for you! Wow! Is he not the absolute best rock star ever? What an absolute sweetheart!

**Sigh**, your review is making me desperately wish for a few After Hour dates of our own! I so badly want to hear HTL live. To once again hear the pure perfection of TSOYS. To melt into my seat at TLOL! I'm glad it all went very well.

I assume the back-up band was all the usual guys? Will was there and not the 'new' Will?

Oh, I am so sorry. Yes, they were all there. Mr Hollis wore glasses. They were all in exceptional form. I couldn't see Michael though until he was introduced & I could barely see Richard.

He's a sweetheart alright. I'm allowed to call him that, as that is what he called me (and yes I realise there are people here he has called 'sweetheart' in the past).

EagleLady
02-24-2013, 10:13 PM
Oh Julie I am just smiling just reading your review, I would die if Don called me Sweetheart and kissed me on the cheek :inlove:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-24-2013, 10:15 PM
He's a sweetheart alright. I'm allowed to call him that,

Haha, I'm over 45 and live in the South. I can and do call anybody sweetheart! Or honey!

Thanks for the info on the rest of the band. Good to know they were all present and accounted for.

StephUK
02-24-2013, 10:40 PM
Oh, I am so sorry. Yes, they were all there. Mr Hollis wore glasses. They were all in exceptional form. I couldn't see Michael though until he was introduced & I could barely see Richard.

He's a sweetheart alright. I'm allowed to call him that, as that is what he called me (and yes I realise there are people here he has called 'sweetheart' in the past).

You must be over the moon at being Glenn's sweetheart! and to get a kiss.....WOW!!!!!!!!!!

Glad to hear that Will Hollis was there. I think he looks very sexy in glasses(but then perhaps I'm biased;-))

AftertheThrill
02-24-2013, 11:11 PM
Just an amazing review. I don't know how long it would take me to function after a kiss from Glenn or Don. I met Glenn briefly several years ago and he was very kind and very much a sweetheart.

Glennsallnighter
02-25-2013, 05:34 AM
Well I was thrilled for you FP when I read the post on FB. Glenn :heart: really is a sweetheart and how lovely he was to acknowledge one of his biggest fans!

FP have you washed your face yet? :wink:

Roll on Sydney!

TimothyBFan
02-25-2013, 09:10 AM
I was sooooo happy to see this on FB but even happier for you now that I just read it in more detail!!! I bet you are still walking on top of the clouds. And more to come yet this week!!! :thumbsup:

prayfordaylight
02-25-2013, 10:32 AM
I don't even have words. Other than THUD that is.

Lucky you!

Troubadour
02-25-2013, 11:15 AM
Incredible, Julie! I am so, so happy for you and I know that this is a memory you will treasure forever. Those special moments are few and far between, and this was a pure, unexpected acknowledgement from him that shows how much he appreciates his loyal fans. What a fantastic write-up, too! :thumbsup:

Ive always been a dreamer
02-25-2013, 11:23 AM
Thanks, FP for your great review of the show. What an incredible experience for you, and I'm sure it's gonna take a very long time for you to come down from that cloud. Glenn Frey ROCKS!!!

Brooke
02-25-2013, 11:58 AM
I held out my hand out of instinct. He took it briefly but then he leaned down & kissed me on the cheek. He then stood back up, smiled & said to me 'thanks for coming, sweetheart'. He then left the stage.

OMG! That is just awesome! I would have died and gone to heaven right then and there! I'm so happy for you, Julie!

Thanks for the wonderful review and for sharing your 'encounter' experience! I know you must be reeling after all of it! Savor the memories!

Prettymaid
02-25-2013, 09:50 PM
Aw, this is great! Julie, I remember you saying in the past (maybe in the dreams thread) that you didn't know if you could speak to him, even in your dreams. BUT YOU DID!!! You spoke back to him, and I can tell that you're so happy with yourself that you did. What a wonderful memory for you to carry forever.

Freypower
02-25-2013, 09:56 PM
Aw, this is great! Julie, I remember you saying in the past (maybe in the dreams thread) that you didn't know if you could speak to him, even in your dreams. BUT YOU DID!!! You spoke back to him, and I can tell that you're so happy with yourself that you did. What a wonderful memory for you to carry forever.

Cathy, thank you very much for this comment. I appreciate it.

I am actually also glad that all I said was 'you knew I'd be here' rather than 'I love you Glenn'. If 'you knew I'd be here' sounds a bit silly, I had to let him know that I was grateful that he took the time to recognise me. I didn't want it to sound all about me but I wanted to keep it 'real'.

Freypower
02-25-2013, 10:01 PM
I now have a special surprise. After the Moment when Glenn came back on stage for TIE I felt that I was justified in trying to get one photo (I also tried in Melbourne but I was further away & they were blurred).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Australasian%20Tour/Brisbane.jpg (http://smg.photobucket.com/user/ozeagle/media/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Australasian%20Tour/Brisbane.jpg.html)

:partytime::iloveyou:

Prettymaid
02-25-2013, 10:03 PM
Great photo! Nice and clear!

sodascouts
02-25-2013, 10:14 PM
Great photo and thank you so much for sharing your terrific experiences!!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-25-2013, 10:24 PM
I now have a special surprise. After the Moment when Glenn came back on stage for TIE I felt that I was justified in trying to get one photo (I also tried in Melbourne but I was further away & they were blurred).

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/ozeagle/Solo%20Years/After%20Hours%20Tour/Brisbane.jpg

:partytime::iloveyou:

Absolutely amazing. The photo is nice, too. :D

Troubadour
02-26-2013, 01:56 AM
Fantastic, Julie! That photo is the cherry on an already well-iced cake! :thumbsup:

zeldabjr
02-26-2013, 03:01 AM
OMG...FP...I am just now reading this thread...I am sooooo happy for you...that the concert was great...and him recognizing you and kissing you...WOW...I would have passed out!!!...so nice of him...what a guy..but I guess we already knew that!...

TimothyBFan
02-26-2013, 08:42 AM
I'm so happy you were able to get one photo to treasure along with the memories of a very special night! :thumbsup:

Molly
02-26-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm so happy for you, Julie. I can't think of any fan who deserves that special attention from him more than you!

Brooke
02-26-2013, 08:12 PM
Great photo, Julie! An awesome night for you!

Glennsallnighter
02-27-2013, 06:08 AM
Gorgeous photo FP! I'm delighted you were able to take at least one. Kinda makes the whole thing even more special

Tiffanny Twisted
02-27-2013, 09:35 PM
thanks for the great review Jullie. I am so happy that you had a great expierence. I love the picture too ...such a hunka hunka man.

fyi were you on the melboure cd???

Freypower
02-27-2013, 10:38 PM
thanks for the great review Jullie. I am so happy that you had a great expierence. I love the picture too ...such a hunka hunka man.

fyi were you on the melboure cd???

Do you mean was I on Farewell One Live From Melbourne? I was at the first show on November 14 2004 & I was filmed but I'm not in it. Not pretty enough. I'm sorry if I misunderstand you here but I can't see what else you could mean.

I live in Sydney, not Melbourne. Going to Melbourne for me is like you going to New York.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-28-2013, 10:42 PM
Do you mean was I on Farewell One Live From Melbourne? I was at the first show on November 14 2004 & I was filmed but I'm not in it. Not pretty enough. I'm sorry if I misunderstand you here but I can't see what else you could mean.

I live in Sydney, not Melbourne. Going to Melbourne for me is like you going to New York.

No you understood it right. We watch the dvd alot and JAHH was just wondering if we had seen you and not known it was a fellow border buddie lol

Well, if the boys were only gonna be in NY and not Philly or Ac or bethelham...I would definitly travel to NY to see them if that was my only option. But I now have a better geographical picture ..thank you, of your journey to see them.

I am so very very happy for you that you had such a one of a kind GF expierence....good things happen to good people:thumbsup:
again..love reading your gf concert posts.

UndertheWire
09-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Here's a brief radio review of "Mr Cool Dude":
http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/02/kate-home-reviews-glenn-frey-and-the-queensland-pops-orchestra.html

Freypower
09-24-2013, 07:49 PM
Here's a brief radio review of "Mr Cool Dude":
http://blogs.abc.net.au/queensland/2013/02/kate-home-reviews-glenn-frey-and-the-queensland-pops-orchestra.html

I was at that show & received personal recognition. This has already been posted in the existing thread.

https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=4110

UndertheWire
09-24-2013, 07:51 PM
Sorry, I missed that thread. Thanks for posting the link and I can see that you did indeed have quite a moment. It sounds wonderful.

Brooke
09-25-2013, 10:11 AM
Just read about 'your moment' again, Fp! What a fabulous night for you! What a memory! I have goosebumps! :sigh:

Freypower
09-25-2013, 06:30 PM
Well, as it has come up (I swear normally I try not to talk about it) I often find myself going over & over what happened in my head & seeing each part of it in a different way. :thud: :shy: :kiss:

I still can't help feeling that the next night when he shook his head, he was thinking 'wasn't last night ENOUGH'?!

GlennLover
09-25-2013, 07:07 PM
Obviously Glenn appreciates his loyal fans. I went back & reread your post too. I get such a wonderful feeling when I read it. It's hard to describe I am both thrilled for you & awed by Glenn's gestures!

Prettymaid
09-25-2013, 08:48 PM
I still can't help feeling that the next night when he shook his head, he was thinking 'wasn't last night ENOUGH'?!

And you thinking, "HELL NO!" :hilarious: