PDA

View Full Version : "Watching TV" (Duet with Roger Waters)

sodascouts
03-02-2013, 05:35 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rKn0Yrziads

A rather deep topic - Listen to this and tell me what you think of the message. While I appreciate what Waters is trying to do, I find the sexual objectification of the person who died so distasteful as to be offensive. Now, is Waters mocking the media's tendency to sexually objectify women or is he obliviously sexist, reducing female activists to breasts and thighs, making the tragedy of her death about the destruction of her looks? Also, notice how she is defined by her relationship to men by the narrator of the song - "MY yellow rose" - "the daughter of an engineer."

Again, he may be criticizing this attitude, but I don't get that feeling. I think his criticism is directed elsewhere: at societal apathy which only seems to be stirred in a media-driven culture if something is "experienced" via TV. Of course, there's also the criticism of Chinese oppression. I believe Waters thinks that he's paying tribute to her by going into detail about her beauty and sexual desirability - but even though it was unintentional, the objectification is real nonetheless, and it leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

I'd like to hear your thoughts

P.S. Love Don on this, of course!

Houston Debutante
03-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I agree. This is not a favorite of mine. Don sounds great though.

tjrrockandrollmaster
03-30-2013, 02:08 AM
Don agreed to record this if Roger would do a Walden Woods concert and Roger kept his word and performed with Don and his band. Then Roger Waters told Jim Ladd that working with Don was alot of fun. I think David Gilmour should add guitar to a Henley project and/or harmonies. It could work

Houston Debutante
04-01-2013, 11:25 AM
Interesting, thanks for the info.