PDA

View Full Version : New Photobucket

zeldabjr
03-08-2013, 03:03 PM
I'm wondering if anyone else is having trouble using the "new" Photobucket?...I can't seem to get the 'image URL' to come up for any of the pics...

Freypower
03-08-2013, 04:56 PM
You have to go into your User Settings/Albums & include the image URL as one of your links (IMG code). Alos make sure you go to User Settings/Privacy & tick that you don't want your file names scrambled otherwise when you upload a file it will not be called tim.jpg but tim.gibberish stream of letters jpg & at the moment files can't be renamed (they say this is 'coming soon').

My major problem with it is its refusal to list the photos in alphabetical order even though it says it does. At the moment I am viewing them as 'newest first' because that is the only option that makes any sense. I was looking forward to the new edit function for making signatures because before they ditched the old version there were a lot of interesting effects & a stack of new fonts. When I tried it yesterday the range of fonts is very limited & the effects aren't very interesting.

I hate the bland grey background & I miss having my own custom design. I do hope they bring that back.

GlennLover
03-08-2013, 08:02 PM
I agree with you on all counts, FP. Very disappointed with the "effects" for sigs & avs. Unless I'm missing something you can't make collages anymore. They do have the Stories function but, it's not the same as a true collage.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2013, 08:04 PM
I didn't know they ever had those features! I make mine in Powerpoint and SnagIt, just cuz I'm geeky like that...

GlennLover
03-08-2013, 08:06 PM
I didn't know they ever had those features! I make mine in Powerpoint and SnagIt, just cuz I'm geeky like that...

Maybe I should try those. :hmm:

Glennsallnighter
03-09-2013, 08:00 AM
I was on it and changed back to the old version because the new one kept freezing up on me. Am I getting it that I'm going to have to change now?

VAisForEagleLovers
03-09-2013, 09:51 AM
I was on it and changed back to the old version because the new one kept freezing up on me. Am I getting it that I'm going to have to change now?

They told me they would change me over permanently on 3/18, and then did it earlier this week.

GlennLover
03-09-2013, 12:13 PM
It keeps freezing on me too! :mad: :brickwall:

zeldabjr
03-09-2013, 03:23 PM
I don't know why they have to change things...I loved the old Photobucket..had learned how to use it and could get a pic onto it and onto the message board quickly...not anymore!

WalshFan88
03-09-2013, 11:09 PM
I like it generally when a site changes (I've always liked the Facebook changes to keep it exciting, but hate bugs though) but this new Photobucket site is a definite exception. It's cluttered and confusing as heck. And now that its out of beta there is no way to go back...

Facebook is getting ready to make it's hugest redesign since it was introduced, and I know most will hate it but it actually looks good to me. We will see. I'm on the list to try it out.

Freypower
03-10-2013, 06:31 PM
If Photobucket doesn't do something about how I can view the files I am going to have to delete a huge number of them. Yesterday I added a photo & I thought it would appear at the very beginning under the 'newest first' sort option. It didn't. It was buried halfway down the endless scroll. I have made numerous complaints to them about how they have wrecked the viewing options & apparently they don't care. I don't want 'stories' or fancy rubbish I don't want to use. I want to be able to view my photos the way I want to view them & not some totally random, arbitrary, meaningless way that apparently only PB understands.

GlennLover
03-11-2013, 10:30 AM
I found that finding photos after you have just save them cumbersome and annoying. Don't like the "stories" so called feature at all. :-x

Brooke
03-11-2013, 03:40 PM
Well, it is different and I've only used it once, today. I did manage to post a photo of Timothy from there and didn't have any trouble. This is quite an achievement for me as some of you well know if you've read the 'computer' thread! I'm just not really very 'puter' friendly! :lol:

I haven't browsed around there though or tried anything else.

Freypower
03-11-2013, 06:09 PM
Posting is not the problem. Viewing the thumbnails is.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-11-2013, 06:58 PM
Yes, they are very tiny and in some sort of hideous fake polaroid frame. Like the original Polaroid frame wasn't hideous enough. I asked them why they were retro'ing the look of it back to the 1970's...

TimothyBFan
03-13-2013, 08:54 AM
Having the same problems---- when I upload a photo there and then try to go back and find it, it used to be the first one in the library but no longer. What a pain in the buns!!!

Freypower
03-15-2013, 08:48 PM
PB sent me a response to my latest complaint saying that 'sort by filename' should be available by the end of March. Let's hope so. :computer: :brickwall:

GlennLover
03-15-2013, 09:04 PM
Thanks, FP. I guess that we will have to suffer it out until then & hope at that point that they do as they said. :brickwall:- I agree!

Freypower
04-11-2013, 09:54 PM
It's been fixed! I can sort by filename again!!! :partytime:

GlennLover
04-12-2013, 11:02 PM
It's been fixed! I can sort by filename again!!! :partytime:

Yay! Finally!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-12-2013, 11:05 PM
Yes, but they broke something else, at least for me. The IMG code is now the entire URL and not just the code. Annoying to have to keep taking all that extraneous stuff off.

Freypower
04-13-2013, 12:28 AM
Yes, but they broke something else, at least for me. The IMG code is now the entire URL and not just the code. Annoying to have to keep taking all that extraneous stuff off.

I know that. I didn't realise you could delete the first part & still have the photo work. Let me try it...

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 09:41 AM
I saw your test worked, but for me, if I don't get rid of all that stuff, it doesn't imbed the photo, just provides a link on the post. I already have the option set to give me IMG code and about three days ago, they broke it. I should sent them an email...

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 01:18 PM
It sounds like you're removing the wrong part, or removing too much. Make sure to keep only the [ img ] and [ /img ] tags as well the entire web address in between. That is the image code. The [ URL ] part is the link code. If you leave that or take off the [ img ] tags, it will be a link.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 01:23 PM
Soda, I'm not sure if you're talking to me or to FP? I'm removing the correct part, my point is that a week ago, I didn't have to remove anything. It was just the IMG code. This week, the 'IMG code' includes the entire URL. On the screen it even says 'IMG Code URL=http...'. Very time consuming...

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 01:28 PM
I'm talking to you, VA. In order for your image to be just an image and not contain the link but still work, once you have pasted the code they give you, you must remove everything but the image tags and the web address in between them. Once you are done, what should be left is nothing but [ img ]webaddress[/ img ]. I put in extra spaces around "img" but otherwise what you post should look just like that for it to work.

ETA: I understand that your point is that you didn't used to have to do anything. I am writing these instructions in response to your "they broke my photobucket" problem where you say you can't remove the extra information and still have an embedded photo. You actually can, but you have to be careful with what you remove.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 01:38 PM
ETA: I am writing this in response to your "my photobucket is broken" post where you say you can't remove the extra information and still have an embedded photo.

I said that? I must have meant that I can't get it to go away from the Photobucket library. I've gone in and selected and reselected every option and when I copy and paste I'm still getting the URL + IMG Code and not just the IMG Code. I sent an email and complained. We'll see what they do. Seems like, if I have the IMG Code option selected, I should only get the IMG Code...like I have for the last year and a half!

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 01:40 PM
See post 23.

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 01:42 PM
I saw your test worked, but for me, if I don't get rid of all that stuff, it doesn't imbed the photo, just provides a link on the post. I already have the option set to give me IMG code and about three days ago, they broke it. I should sent them an email...

I guess it would be easier for me to quote instead of giving a post number. Duh me! Indeed, I should have quoted from the outset for clarity's sake. Lesson learned!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 01:46 PM
Yes, I was complaining that the IMG Code is no longer just the IMG code. It used to be, I selected the IMG Code on the library thumbnail and pasted into a post here and clicked Submit Reply and the image would appear. Now, following the exact same steps, the image doesn't appear, a link to the photo appears. Since I'm not the one who changed what I do, I feel Photobucket is in error! Who has time to go in and delete all the extra stuff out?!

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 01:57 PM
Yes, I was complaining that the IMG Code is no longer just the IMG code. It used to be, I selected the IMG Code on the library thumbnail and pasted into a post here and clicked Submit Reply and the image would appear. Now, following the exact same steps, the image doesn't appear, a link to the photo appears. Since I'm not the one who changed what I do, I feel Photobucket is in error! Who has time to go in and delete all the extra stuff out?!

I think I'm just misunderstanding you. When you say "the image doesn't appear, a link to the photo appears" I read that as you can no longer see the image, just the link. However, from your other responses, it sounds like you can see the image after all. I'm assuming now that you do understand how to remove the extra info while keeping the embedded image. If that is the case, I apologize for my confusion.

So if you've already got this down, great! Maybe my instructions will help someone else who needs them. :)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 02:10 PM
I think I'm just misunderstanding you. When you say "the image doesn't appear, a link to the photo appears" I read that as you can no longer see the image, just the link. However, from your other responses, it sounds like you can see the image after all. I'm assuming now that you do understand how to remove the extra info while keeping the embedded image. If that is the case, I apologize for my confusion.

If you've already got this down, great! Maybe my instructions will help someone else who needs them. :)

Yeah, I think we do have a miscommunication. I do know what to remove as far as extra info. I just don't feel I should have to do it, and especially when I didn't need to do it until this week. If they do like before, they won't reply to my email unless and until they fix it.

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 02:17 PM
I doubt they will "fix" this because it's not a bug; they're doing it on purpose. They want the image code to contain a clickable link back to photobucket as well as the image itself because they believe it will increase traffic to their site. However, perhaps if enough people complain, they will return to the way it used to be. I agree we shouldn't have to bother!

Freypower
04-13-2013, 06:11 PM
I agree that it's annoying and that you shouldn't have to remove it although in fact you don't have to. I've been posting photos with the entire URL. Although it takes up more room in the post it doesn't affect what you see on the board.

Compared to what it's been like when I couldn't view my photos the way I wanted, I see it as a minor inconvenience. Now all they have to do is restore the ability to rename files.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-13-2013, 07:07 PM
Their response, and it works!! I won't even reply and let them know when I couldn't find the IMG at all when they first rolled out the new site they said I had to have this box checked...

Hi,

The URL part of the IMG code is a redirect back to the site that was added recently. To have that portion of the code removed from your IMG links, go to your User Settings, then the Albums tab, and uncheck the box to "link back to albums". That will remove the URL redirect code from all of your IMG codes in your account.

Please note that it will not remove the redirect link from previously linked images. It only applies to images you link out after the change.

Thank you!

sodascouts
04-13-2013, 07:09 PM
WOOT! Thanks, VA!

GlennLover
04-13-2013, 09:44 PM
Yes, thank you! :thumbsup:

Freypower
04-13-2013, 11:15 PM
Well good for you for persisiting and actually getting a response from them. I guess I'd better test it again...

Glennsallnighter
11-05-2013, 07:11 PM
Its down. For maintenance. Of All nights. Tonight. :brickwall::brickwall: