PDA

View Full Version : Former Eagles Song Survivor Game

Pages : 1 [2]

sodascouts
04-27-2013, 04:59 PM
It looks like "Take the Devil" will go down without my help, so I'll turn my attention towards a more controversial choice:

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

It's got pretty moments but it's so freaking repetitive at the end that it makes the song fall several notches, in my opinion.

whitcap
04-27-2013, 05:09 PM
I vote for Try and Love Again.

TimothyBFan
04-27-2013, 05:45 PM
Really sorry to see Certain Kind Of Fool go. It was in my top 3.

I'll stick with my vote of My Man.

Annabel
04-28-2013, 05:07 PM
Take the devil gets my vote.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-28-2013, 07:52 PM
I cast my vote for Take the Devil.

UK TimFan
04-28-2013, 07:59 PM
I vote for 'Try and love again'.

sodascouts
04-28-2013, 08:28 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Former Eagles Song Survivor is Take the Devil. “Take the Devil”, turns out you aren't the one after all. The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
Take the Devil – 5
Try and Love Again - 3
Midnight Flyer – 2
My Man - 1

Vote Breakdown
Take the Devil - WalshFan88
Take the Devil – RebeccaLovesEagles
Take the Devil - AzEaglesFan
Take the Devil - Annabel
Take the Devil - Ive always been a dreamer
Try and Love Again - sodascouts
Try and Love Again - whitcap
Try and Love Again - UK TimFan
Midnight Flyer – Freypower
Midnight Flyer – AstraeaLunaAvani
My Man - TimothyBFan

Songs eliminated:
Journey of the Sorcerer 4/04
Train Leaves Here This Morning 4/06
Most of Us Are Sad 4/08
I Wish You Peace 4/10
Tryin’ 4/12
Too Many Hands 4/14
Visions 4/16
Earlybird 4/18
Is It True 4/20
Twenty-One 4/22
Bitter Creek 4/24
Certain Kind of Fool 4/26
Take the Devil 4/28

Songs remaining:
Midnight Flyer
My Man
Take It To the Limit
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 14 begins now.

Freypower
04-28-2013, 08:52 PM
Midnight Flyer

04-28-2013, 09:39 PM
Okay – We are getting down to the wire in this game. As I said before, I am mystified by the order of finish of some of the songs in this game, although I can’t say I’m surprised. As I’ve said many times, there is no Eagles song that I don’t like, but, obviously, I think some are better than others no matter what criteria you use. I would love to hear some opinions about the appeal of Take the Devil because I’m at a loss in recognizing its merits compared to many other songs that were voted off sooner. To me, it is one of the weakest songs in the band’s catalog and there are so many songs in this game that are much better, IMHO.

As for the songs remaining in the game, Midnight Flyer is fun enough, but, for me, it is an average run-of-the-mill bluegrass song that wasn’t even written by the band. The song is no better than average vocally, lyrically, melodically, or musically. My Man has very poignant vocals, lyrics, music, and melody and, surprisingly, is Bernie’s only remaining song in the game. Try and Love Again may be repetitive at the end, but it doesn’t bother me because the wonderful melody, vocals, and music blend so well together. To me, it is a very underrated song because it is overshadowed on an album of consistently exceptional songs. If it were on most any other of the band’s albums, I believe it would be a standout. And as far as Take It To the Limit, it is simply incomparable. So, having said all this, I will urge others to join me in forming a coalition to vote off what I think is the weakest of the remaining songs ...

I cast my vote for Midnight Flyer.

GlennLover
04-28-2013, 10:03 PM
I vote Try & Love Again. Sorry, Dreamer, but, I have always loved Midnight Flyer.

Freypower
04-29-2013, 12:05 AM
Okay – We are getting down to the wire in this game. As I said before, I am mystified by the order of finish of some of the songs in this game, although I can’t say I’m surprised. As I’ve said many times, there is no Eagles song that I don’t like, but, obviously, I think some are better than others no matter what criteria you use. I would love to hear some opinions about the appeal of Take the Devil because I’m at a loss in recognizing its merits compared to many other songs that were voted off sooner. To me, it is one of the weakest songs in the band’s catalog and there are so many songs in this game that are much better, IMHO.

As for the songs remaining in the game, Midnight Flyer is fun enough, but, for me, it is an average run-of-the-mill bluegrass song that wasn’t even written by the band. The song is no better than average vocally, lyrically, melodically, or musically. My Man has very poignant vocals, lyrics, music, and melody and, surprisingly, is Bernie’s only remaining song in the game. Try and Love Again may be repetitive at the end, but it doesn’t bother me because the wonderful melody, vocals, and music blend so well together. To me, it is a very underrated song because it is overshadowed on an album of consistently exceptional songs. If it were on most any other of the band’s albums, I believe it would be a standout. And as far as Take It To the Limit, it is simply incomparable. So, having said all this, I will urge others to join me in forming a coalition to vote off what I think is the weakest of the remaining songs ...

I agree with you. But you asked for opinions on Take The Devil so here are a couple of thoughts. I never used to like the song much either, but its dark & brooding quality has grown on me. The lyrics foreshadow songs like Good Day In Hell, One Of These Nights & even HC itself. The guitar work at the end is very climactic & strong. Compared with some of the really lightweight songs on that album like Earlybird & Nightingale, it has matured. It is certainly better than the throwaway (IMO) Midnight Flyer.

I may as well also say here that poignant though My Man is, Try & Love Again is (IMO) infinitely superior as a musical performance, despite the repetition at the end. TITTL is repetitive too and nobody criticises that. I love the guitar work in TALA, not just Glenn's lead work & I love the reflective lyrics & Randy's vocals. The others do some lovely harmonies in it as well.

WalshFan88
04-29-2013, 03:13 AM
My Man

The other three are my top 3.

TimothyBFan
04-29-2013, 07:31 AM
I'm sticking with My Man. The other 3 are my top picks also.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-29-2013, 08:27 AM

This is what I love about Take the Devil. Randy's voice is strong and amazing, for one, especially in the verses. The message of it is another big reason I love it.

Anyway, this round i'm voting for Midnight Flyer!

Brooke
04-29-2013, 10:23 AM
Oh my gosh! I really can't believe anyone is voting for TALA! As Fp said, the guitar work, vocals, and lyrics are awesome! It's my #2 and I just love it because it is very uplifting just plain gorgeous!

And how MF, a song the band didn't even write, can make it past some of the the ones they did like CKOF? That is a big factor for me. :headscratch:

I missed last round, but it wouldn't have mattered. Once again, I vote for Midnight Flyer.

Topkat
04-29-2013, 01:14 PM
I haven't been playing this game but has been watching a little. I've just been crazy busy for the past 2 weeks...
I would like to join in & vote for the last few rounds, if that's Ok with you guys

sodascouts
04-29-2013, 01:20 PM
That's fine, Topkat.

Several people here have been very eloquent about why they prefer TALA. To them, I say: I see your points, and you've almost made me feel guilty for preferring "Midnight Flyer"! But I do! :blush:

As for whether or not the Eagles wrote it, that didn't prevent "Already Gone" and "How Long" from doing well in their respective Survivors. Just food for thought.

Almost shamefacedly...

I cast my vote for Try and Love Again.

Topkat
04-29-2013, 01:40 PM
My vote goes to MY MAN

Annabel
04-30-2013, 05:22 PM
My Man gets my vote too.

pueblo47
04-30-2013, 07:11 PM
My vote goes to My Man

UK TimFan
04-30-2013, 07:59 PM
I vote for Try and love again.

sodascouts
04-30-2013, 08:23 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Former Eagles Song Survivor is My Man. “My Man”, the tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go - while they who must remain go on living just the same. Please leave the island immediately. The rest of the songs may return to camp.

Votes
My Man - 5
Midnight Flyer – 4
Try and Love Again - 3

Vote Breakdown
My Man - WalshFan88
My Man - TimothyBFan
My Man - Topkat
My Man - Annabel
My Man - pueblo47
Midnight Flyer - Ive always been a dreamer
Midnight Flyer - Brooke
Try and Love Again - GlennLover
Try and Love Again - sodascouts
Try and Love Again - UK TimFan

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 4/08
I Wish You Peace 4/10
Tryin’ 4/12
Too Many Hands 4/14
Visions 4/16
Earlybird 4/18
Is It True 4/20
Twenty-One 4/22
Bitter Creek 4/24
Take the Devil 4/28
My Man 4/30

Songs remaining:
Midnight Flyer
Take It To the Limit
Try and Love Again

Voting for Round 15 begins now.

WalshFan88
04-30-2013, 08:28 PM
So tough. My top 3 made it to the top 3, lol.

Try And Love Again

Freypower
04-30-2013, 08:31 PM
One more time....

Midnight Flyer

sad-cafe
04-30-2013, 09:05 PM
I liked Bitter Creek but if Try and Love Again and TITTL are the last two, I will be happy. The best part...I get to play next time !!!! :)

Topkat
04-30-2013, 09:34 PM
Voting for Try and Love Again

TimothyBFan
05-01-2013, 07:20 AM
I vote Midnight Flyer.

Prettymaid
05-01-2013, 08:08 AM
I'm back! And I'm thrilled! The way this game had been playing out, I didn't think any of my favorites, except for TITTL, would still be here. But Try and Love Again is in my top three, and it's still here! Yippee!!!

That said, I'll vote for Midnight Flyer.

It's definitely more of a Eagles country rock song, with Bernie's banjo prominent, and not one of my favorites. Not that I don't enjoy country rock...

Brooke
05-01-2013, 10:07 AM
Midnight Flyer, again!

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-01-2013, 10:40 AM
Midnight Flyer!

AzEaglesFan
05-01-2013, 10:55 AM
Try and Love Again

Annabel
05-01-2013, 11:50 AM
Try and love again.

pueblo47
05-01-2013, 12:01 PM
My vote goes for Try and Love Again

whitcap
05-01-2013, 12:48 PM
I vote for Try and Love Again.

sodascouts
05-01-2013, 01:32 PM
Very sad to see the magnificent My Man go. :(

Well, it looks like TALA has plenty of votes without my help! Thus, thinking ahead....

Topkat
05-01-2013, 03:40 PM
Soda, so far it is tied 6 votes each so Midnight Flyer can still go this round. I don't think there was ever any doubt that TITTL would win this

RebeccaLovesEagles
05-01-2013, 05:19 PM
Try and Love Again

Glennsallnighter
05-02-2013, 01:42 PM
Ok this round is easy enough for me. I DO like TALA, but I prefer MF. Also, for sentimental reasons as when I play the VBO disc 1 in the car it has always been one of my sons favourites and he would frequently ask me to play it. Now he sits beside me and can control the stereo himself.

So this round will vote off Try and Love Again.

Brooke
05-02-2013, 03:57 PM
I still have to say how surprised I am that MF has made it this far in this game. Obviously I'm in the minority here. MF was number 16 on my list. The predominant banjo (country sound) and that 'woo hoo' that sounds like a train.......you like that? It's just so old time country & western sounding, to me. I do like the banjo and I don't hate the songs. There aren't any Eagles songs that I hate.

And the fact that the band didn't even write it. I know Soda mentioned Already Gone and How Long......I don't know how to describe them, but just more eagley sounding than MF.

Ok, I've said my piece! Probably won't make a difference anyways! :lol:

Prettymaid
05-02-2013, 06:40 PM
I still have to say how surprised I am that MF has made it this far in this game. Obviously I'm in the minority here. MF was number 16 on my list. The predominant banjo (country sound) and that 'woo hoo' that sounds like a train.......you like that? It's just so old time country & western sounding, to me. I do like the banjo and I don't hate the songs. There aren't any Eagles songs that I hate.

And the fact that the band didn't even write it. I know Soda mentioned Already Gone and How Long......I don't know how to describe them, but just more eagley sounding than MF.

Maybe we've got some country fans playing this game. I would say my tastes are more suited to yours, Brookie. Midnight Flyer was way down there on my list too.

Freypower
05-02-2013, 06:49 PM

Well, I am with you & have been for the whole game. The song has been treated extremely kindly, in my opinion.

05-02-2013, 07:49 PM
First of all, thanks to those of you who tried to make a case for Take the Devil. Unfortunately, I just can't see the appeal. And I'm sure it's no surprise that I agree with Brooke, Prettymaid, and Freypower about Midnight Flyer. I just don't think it is anywhere near the 2nd best song in this game. But, as Brooke said, we are definitely in the minority as far as the voters playing this game. I would love to know what the order of finish of these songs would be among a wider audience, but I guess we'll never know. Anyway, to make it official ...

UK TimFan
05-02-2013, 07:55 PM
I vote for Try and love again.

05-02-2013, 08:18 PM
The next song to be eliminated from Former Eagles Song Survivor is Try and Love Again. “Try and Love Again”, should you stay or go? The tribe has spoken and it's time for you to go. Did you lose or win? You lose - so you ain't gonna try any more. Please leave the island immediately. The two remaining song please step forward for the final round ...

Midnight Flyer vs Take It to the Limit

Votes
Try and Love Again - 9
Midnight Flyer – 7

Vote Breakdown
Try and Love Again – WalshFan88
Try and Love Again – Topkat
Try and Love Again – AzEaglesFan
Try and Love Again – Annabel
Try and Love Again – pueblo47
Try and Love Again – whitcap
Try and Love Again – RebeccaLovesEagles
Try and Love Again – Glennsallnighter
Try and Love Again – UK Timfan
Midnight Flyer – TimothyBFan
Midnight Flyer – Prettymaid
Midnight Flyer – Brooke
Midnight Flyer – sodascouts
Midnight Flyer – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 4/08
I Wish You Peace 4/10
Tryin’ 4/12
Too Many Hands 4/14
Visions 4/16
Earlybird 4/18
Is It True 4/20
Twenty-One 4/22
Bitter Creek 4/24
Take the Devil 4/28
My Man 4/30
Try and Love Again 5/2

Songs remaining:

Midnight Flyer vs Take It to the Limit

We’re at the last round. This round is special, so it’s done differently. We’re not going to vote for the song we want to go. We’re going to vote for the song we want to win. This is how they do it on the real show, after all.

Once again...

VOTE FOR THE SONG YOU WANT TO WIN!

Freypower
05-02-2013, 08:57 PM
I can only hope that sanity will now prevail & that Take It To The Limit will win.

Prettymaid
05-02-2013, 08:58 PM
It's a no-brainer!

Take It To the Limit for the win!

WalshFan88
05-02-2013, 09:33 PM
So glad Midnight Flyer made it to the top two...

That said, without a doubt..

Take It To The Limit for the win!

Grey Sadler
05-02-2013, 10:21 PM
No, I haven't been voting for the last few rounds...it turned into a personal Sophie's Choice for me...but now...

out: Midnight Flyer (although I'm singing along at least one morning per week on the way to work)...
in: Take it to the Limit!!!!

Brooke
05-02-2013, 10:51 PM
Good Lord! No comparison! :headscratch:

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT FOR THE WIN!

TimothyBFan
05-03-2013, 07:41 AM
Take It To The Limit for the win (by a landslide, I'm sure)

Glennsallnighter
05-03-2013, 08:19 AM
No Question here..... One of the all time defining greats of the Eagles....

......TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT......

for the win!!

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-03-2013, 09:29 AM
TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT, BABY!! :partytime:

My favorite Eagles song, forever.

Annabel
05-03-2013, 11:00 AM
I do like Midnight Flyer but ........

Take it to the limit for the win. :thumbsup:

GlennLover
05-03-2013, 11:57 AM
Take It To The Limit

AzEaglesFan
05-03-2013, 12:09 PM
Take It To The Limit

whitcap
05-03-2013, 01:00 PM
Take It to the Limit for the win!

sodascouts
05-03-2013, 01:59 PM
My favorite Eagles song and one of the best rock songs ever written....

TAKE IT TO THE LIMIT

for the win!!!

Topkat
05-03-2013, 03:07 PM
I think it was obvious that Take it to the Limit was going to win this, but I'm glad that Midnight Flyer made 2nd place. :thumbsup:

TITTL for the win!

Prettymaid
05-03-2013, 06:55 PM
Yep, this Survivor lacked the spark that some of the others have had because all along we knew which song would win. ;-)

pueblo47
05-03-2013, 07:16 PM
Take It To The Limit

Topkat
05-03-2013, 07:23 PM
Just a little props to the runner up MF here with Jackson Browne

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1C9UBp9zN8

Prettymaid
05-03-2013, 08:31 PM
Thanks for that TK. They look and sound great, and JB is just icing on the cake for me! :inlove:

WalshFan88
05-03-2013, 08:41 PM
I really love that version... It's my fav as far as live versions go...

By my preferences I should intensely dislike this song as I can't stand banjos or country/bluegrass music but something about it gets me. I think it's the lyrics.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the "whoo's and oh's" that sound like trains. But I've always loved the sound of a train.... :hilarious:

But TITTL is clearly the deserving winner here. What an amazing song.. I have a whole new appreciation for it after seeing the concert DVD in HotE.

RebeccaLovesEagles
05-03-2013, 10:01 PM
Take it to the Limit :) I like midnight flyer but my second choice would have been Certain kind of Fool and then My Man :) After the game is done, everyone should post their list:thumbsup:

05-04-2013, 02:03 PM
By my preferences I should intensely dislike this song as I can't stand banjos or country/bluegrass music but something about it gets me. I think it's the lyrics.

I'm probably in the minority but I love the "whoo's and oh's" that sound like trains. But I've always loved the sound of a train.... :hilarious:

Austin, I am shocked about this as well. I thought you were voting as a coalition, so I was really astonished when you said that you actually prefer Midnight Flyer to Try and Love Again. Since T&LA is from your favorite album with your favorite band line-up, I would have never guessed you would prefer a bluegrass tune over it. Wonders never cease. :thumbsup:

Anyway, I said earlier that I wondered how this game would have played out among a wider audience, so I got curious and went back and checked the results of our Top 40 Eagles poll that we did last summer. Here's what I found ... The only two songs in this game that made the Top 40 in that poll were TITTL (#4) and Bitter Creek (#33), yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game. Try and Love Again narrowly missed making the Top 40 by a couple of points, and Midnight Flyer didn't score very well at all.

So, go figure! I'm not sure what, if anything this suggests, other than that our opinions don't mean anything. :grin: But, nonetheless, I thought it was interesting anyway.

UK TimFan
05-04-2013, 02:54 PM
Anyway, I said earlier that I wondered how this game would have played out among a wider audience, so I got curious and went back and checked the results of our Top 40 Eagles poll that we did last summer. Here's what I found ... The only two songs in this game that made the Top 40 in that poll were TITTL (#4) and Bitter Creek (#33), yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game. Try and Love Again narrowly missed making the Top 40 by a couple of points, and Midnight Flyer didn't score very well at all.

So, go figure! I'm not sure what, if anything this suggests, other than that our opinions don't mean anything. :grin: But, nonetheless, I thought it was interesting anyway.
It means that people change their mind about a song. And can change it very quicky - I have a new appreciation for Midnight Flyer literally since the start of this game. It's not a song that I'd really played much before, but instrumentally and vocally I think it's very clever.

You also have to consider how many people of the people who took part in the Top 40 poll last year participated in this Survivor. And vice versa.

I would slightly dispute your claim that "yet Bitter Creek didn't fare that well in this game". Out of 16 songs to be voted off, it was number 11 - and that was on a tied vote. With tied votes, just one person's previous votes can determine whether a song goes or stays. Just as one more person voting in that round could have split the tie and saved Bitter Creek.
There are also times in the voting when you have two songs that you like equally and because of the votes other people have made you have to vote to save one of them, rather than vote off a song. So there's lots of things which affect the results of a Survivor as opposed to a straightforward poll.

WalshFan88
05-04-2013, 03:25 PM
Austin, I am shocked about this as well. I thought you were voting as a coalition, so I was really astonished when you said that you actually prefer Midnight Flyer to Try and Love Again. Since T&LA is from your favorite album with your favorite band line-up, I would have never guessed you would prefer a bluegrass tune over it. Wonders never cease. :thumbsup:

TALA was my 3rd pick...

TITTL
MF
TALA

That was my top 3 in order. As much as I respect Bernie as a guitar player, his songs with him on lead vocal don't do much for me. I really prefer Randy or Don F singing (of the former members).

05-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Thanks for your perspective, UKTF, and I pretty much agree with your posts. You make a good point about Bitter Creek. It didn't finish badly, I guess I was just expecting it to finish higher. As far as my comment that you highlighted, it was intended to be 'tongue-in-cheek', which is why I added the smiley. Hopefully, that's the way it was perceived - I just thought it was an intriguing comparison, that's all. I guess I find it interesting because I'm generally not one that changes my mind a lot about what songs I like or dislike, but that's just me.

And Austin, I hear ya, but I love Bernie's voice. I find it very 'soothing'.

05-04-2013, 03:42 PM
BTW - Just for the record ...

I cast my vote for Take It to the Limit to win this game!!!

05-04-2013, 08:18 PM
Okay – for the first time ever in the history of the Survivor games, we have a unprecedented clean sweep with the winning song receiving no prior elimination votes in the game at all. Now - that is truly taking it to the limit. The winner of the Former Eagles Song Survivor is “Take It to the Limit”. Congratulations …

Take It to the Limit

Votes
Take It to the Limit – 17
Midnight Flyer – 0

Vote Breakdown
Take It to the Limit – Freypower
Take It to the Limit – Prettymaid
Take It to the Limit – WalshFan88
Take It to the Limit – Grey Sadler
Take It to the Limit – Brooke
Take It to the Limit – TimothyBFan
Take It to the Limit – Glennsallnighter
Take It to the Limit – AstraeaLunaAvani
Take It to the Limit – Annabel
Take It to the Limit – GlennLover
Take It to the Limit – AzEaglesFan
Take It to the Limit – whitcap
Take It to the Limit – sodascouts
Take It to the Limit – Topkat
Take It to the Limit – pueblo47
Take It to the Limit – RebeccaLovesEagles
Take It to the Limit – Ive always been a dreamer

Songs eliminated:
Most of Us Are Sad 4/08
I Wish You Peace 4/10
Tryin’ 4/12
Too Many Hands 4/14
Visions 4/16
Earlybird 4/18
Is It True 4/20
Twenty-One 4/22
Bitter Creek 4/24
Take the Devil 4/28
My Man 4/30
Try and Love Again 5/02
Midnight Flyer 5/04

So now - ONE MORE TIME ...

Congrats, Take It to the Limit!

To celebrate, here is some “Take It to the Limit” live video:

Houston 1976 (Randy)

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/multimedia/live/TITTLHouston76.wmv

Tokyo 1986 (Glenn)

http://www.glennfreyonline.com/multimedia/live/TITTLTokyo86.wmv

1987 (Randy with Timothy B. Schmit and Richard Marx)

http://www.randymeisneronline.com/multimedia/live/tittlmarx.wmv

Thanks for playing everyone and hope you enjoyed the game.

Prettymaid
05-04-2013, 10:40 PM
:hilarious: Well, that was the most anticlimactic Survivor ever! But how fitting to honor this song just as the concert DVD is released with Randy's amazing performance. I just watched part one of the doc this evening, and I hope that somehow, now Randy realizes just how loved his vocals are on TITTL.

And as I write that last line, I'm thinking of how cool it is that when a record is made of a song, you can always use the present tense, no matter how long ago it was made.

Topkat
05-05-2013, 09:26 AM
Yes, a well deserved win, especially with the DVD release & that incredible performance on the concert footage!! WOW.
:partytime:

sad-cafe
05-05-2013, 11:07 AM
I watched the concert footage of it last night. Randy was FINE and did an amazing job.

Back when this song came out, it really touched my dad for some reason. He bought all 6 of us kids the 45 single as well as one for himself. He died in 97 but I can still hear him say "Listen to those cymbals" when I hear this song.

Prettymaid
05-05-2013, 11:08 AM
I watched the concert footage of it last night. Randy was FINE and did an amazing job.

Back when this song came out, it really touched my dad for some reason. He bought all 6 of us kids the 45 single as well as one for himself. He died in 97 but I can still hear him say "Listen to those cymbals" when I hear this song.

Hmmm, now I'm going to have to listen to it for the cymbals! Lol!

sad-cafe
05-05-2013, 11:12 AM
I had to watch it twice so I could see Don with the Cymbols and then to just watch Randy in his pure beauty singing it.

05-05-2013, 01:57 PM
Congratulations to Take It to the Limit!!!

Whenever you can get this many people with so many varying tastes to agree unanimously about anything, then there must be no doubt that this song is the best of the best in the game. And as others have mentioned, seeing the concert and other live footage of the song being performed only serves to reinforce its awesomeness!

WalshFan88
05-05-2013, 06:51 PM
Congrats!!!

TimothyBFan
05-06-2013, 08:18 AM
Imagine my surprise when I logged in this morning after being gone all weekend to see that TITTL had won the game. :hilarious:

Congratulations!!! My favorite Eagles song ever!! Well deserving!

Brooke
05-06-2013, 09:37 AM
Congrats to Take It To The Limit from me as well! Wonderful song!

And how great that the awesome version on the HotE concert dvd just came out for us to watch too! Great timing Soda and dreamer! :thumbsup:

sodascouts
05-06-2013, 11:26 AM
Congrats to Take It to the Limit, the best Eagles song EVER in my humble opinion and definitely worthy of the honor of a unanimous win, which I think has only happened once before - perhaps twice - in all the years we've been doing these.

Freypower
05-06-2013, 06:43 PM
I probably shouldn't say so but if TALA had made the last two songs I would have voted for it. I am not nearly as ecstatic about TITTL as many people are. I used to be when I first heard it, but not now. That includes Glenn's version. I don't know why, but the song just doesn't interest me any more. :worried: Having said that it is a superior song to everything else in this game except for TALA, so that is why I never voted for it.

Prettymaid
05-06-2013, 07:57 PM
Well, I agree that I wish TALA would have been in the top two. I like it a lot. But I'm not sure I like it more than TITTL. When we play these Survivor games I always wonder, if all of these songs were on the same playing field, would the votes come out differently. In other words, I think that the fact that a song was a hit automatically gives it a better shot. But then again I always say, there's a reason a certain song became a hit. It was better than the rest. But not always.

UK TimFan
05-07-2013, 01:26 AM
I probably shouldn't say so but if TALA had made the last two songs I would have voted for it. I am not nearly as ecstatic about TITTL as many people are. I used to be when I first heard it, but not now. That includes Glenn's version. I don't know why, but the song just doesn't interest me any more. :worried: Having said that it is a superior song to everything else in this game except for TALA, so that is why I never voted for it.
I know that often when a Survivor game has finished we post our 'order of songs', and if there was one for this game I was going to make a similar comment to FP's. Except that mine would have said 'If Bitter creek was the other song in the final two, I would have voted for BC'. :)
In fact, as neither TITTL nor Flyer are in my personal final two I didn't vote in the final round. They're possibly equal third or fourth, depending on how I feel at the specific time I'm asked, so I actually felt that I didn't have the right to vote, if you know what I mean.

whitcap
05-07-2013, 02:45 AM
Congrats to Take It to the Limit :)

Prettymaid
05-07-2013, 09:20 AM
I would post my list, but I threw it away just before we left for vacation, thinking I would probably not be finishing the game. I guess I could reconstruct it.

Brooke
05-07-2013, 10:49 AM
For what it's worth, here's my list:

17-Journey of the Sorcerer
16-Midnight Flyer
15-Visions
14-Train Leaves here This Morning
13-Take the Devil
12-I Wish You Peace
11-Earlybird
10-My Man
9-Bitter Creek
8-Tryin'
7-Twenty-One
6-Most of Us Are Sad
5-Too Many Hands
4-Is It True
3-Certain Kind of Fool
2-Try and Love Again
1-Take It To the Limit

And from 4-16, those could have been changed around multiple times! Like most all of them, but pretty equally. Tough game!

Thanks for playing everyone and to Soda and dreamer for all the work that goes with it! You guys rock! :thumbsup:

Freypower
05-07-2013, 05:32 PM
I know that often when a Survivor game has finished we post our 'order of songs', and if there was one for this game I was going to make a similar comment to FP's. Except that mine would have said 'If Bitter creek was the other song in the final two, I would have voted for BC'. :)
In fact, as neither TITTL nor Flyer are in my personal final two I didn't vote in the final round. They're possibly equal third or fourth, depending on how I feel at the specific time I'm asked, so I actually felt that I didn't have the right to vote, if you know what I mean.

Surely you can establish a particular preference at any given point in time if you have to. We've never done a Strange Weather Survivor & I'd have trouble there because I like most of those songs equally, but if I had to force myself to vote I'd do it.

My voting would have gone as follows:

17 I Wish You Peace
16 Visions
15 Journey Of The Sorcerer
14 Earlybird
13 Midnight Flyer
12 Tryin'
11 Twenty-One
10 Is It True
9 Take The Devil
8 Most Of Us Are Sad
7 Bitter Creek
6 My Man
5 Too Many Hands
4 Train Leaves Here This Morning
3 Take It To The Limit
2 Certain Kind Of Fool
1 Try & Love Again

WalshFan88
05-07-2013, 06:12 PM
To be honest, I didn't have a exact list other than the bottom three and the top three. The middle was just up in the air. I have to admit I'm not a huge fan of most of these but here were my bottom three and top three.

Top 3:

1. Take It To The Limit
2. Midnight Flyer
3. Try And Love Again

Bottom 3:

1. Bitter Creek
2. Journey Of The Sorcerer
3. Twenty-One

Obviously I sometimes voted strategically but those were my choices. Visions was high up on the list, but my top 3 is above.

05-11-2013, 01:38 PM
Here is my list ...

1. Take It to the Limit
2. Try and Love Again
3. My Man
4. Certain Kind of Fool
5. Twenty-One
6. Train Leaves Here This Morning
7. Midnight Flyer
8. Bitter Creek
9. Too Many Hands
10. Visions
11. Most of Us Are Sad
12. I Wish You Peace
13. Journey of the Sorcerer
14. Is It True?
15. Tryin’
16. Take the Devil
17. Earlybird

BBKron
05-14-2013, 01:37 PM
Wow! I can't believe I missed this entire game thread. Because this is one I definitely would have wanted to contribute to. I haven't had much time to check things out lately, and when I did come by, I generally just went right to the 'hot' topics like the Dvd doc, upcoming tour, etc. posts, and I just completely missed this survivor game. Oh well. After seeing the results, perhaps it was just as well, because I would definitely have been frustrated and disappointed, if not actually upset, by the way these rounds went.

First of all, as anyone who's read my past posts know, although I love all the Eagles music, the early albums and the original 4 are my favorite version of the group, by far. Bernie is still my favorite Eagle (not 'former' Eagle, he may have quit, but he will always be an important part of the Eagles and his music and contributions carry on). and Randy isn't far behind. So, anyway, regarding the game, I can't believe 'Journey of the Sorcerer' and 'Train Leaves Here This Morning' were the FIRST 2 songs voted off in this game! Are you kidding? 'Train' is one the Eagles very best songs, certainly a highlight of the 1st album. And yes, 'Journey' is definitely different, and as some said 'It doesn't sound like an Eagles song', but it also is one the most unique, interesting, and compelling songs they ever made (and one of the only pure instrumentals), certainly a highlight and welcome breath of fresh air on the One of These Nights album. But then, I think all of Bernie's songs are highlights. Only 'I Wish You Peace' didn't come off so great, but that was primarily due to the sappy production excesses heaped on it. It would have worked much better as a simple, soft-spoken, heartfelt acoustic number, just guitar and vocal. His songs are among my very favorite Eagles songs, with 'Bitter Creek' at the top of the list. And 'Twenty-One' is one of the best bluegrass stompers ever written, and the best 'countryish' song the Eagles ever did (just a bit ahead of 'Midnight Flyer'). As for Randy, 'Certain Kind of Fool' is by far, my favorite song by Randy, and again, one of my very favorite Eagles songs. I also would put both 'Midnight Flyer' and 'Try and Love Again' ahead of 'Take It To The Limit' for Randy's songs, although I know TITL is the favorite of most others.
Anyway, although I am too late to participate, here is my ranked list.

1. Bitter Creek
2. Train Leaves Here This Morning
3. Certain Kind of Fool
4. Twenty-One
5. My Man
6. Midnight Flyer
7. Try and Love Again
8. Take It To the Limit
9. Journey of the Sorcerer
10. Earlybird
11. Tryin'
12. Is It True?
13. I Wish You Peace
14. Too Many Hands
15. Take the Devil
16. Visions
17. Most of Us Are Sad

sodascouts
05-15-2013, 12:09 AM
I wondered why you weren't playing, BBKron! I'm sorry you missed out as well. I agree with you that some of Bernie's songs went too soon.