PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's heritage?

AEW21
04-06-2013, 01:40 AM
One of those random questions rolling about my brain--what is his background? The surname "Frey" sounds Scottish to me (as does Glenn), though I thought I read from one of you fine posters that he (also) has German heritage...?

GlennLover
04-06-2013, 02:25 PM
Glenn does say in the Strange Weather video filmed in Dublin that he of Irish decent through one of his grandmothers. In one of the After Hours interviews he said that he was of Irish, English, Scottish (I believe) & one other which I can't recall. It might have been German.

zeldabjr
04-06-2013, 04:00 PM
Glenn does say in the Strange Weather video filmed in Dublin that he of Irish decent through one of his grandmothers. In one of the After Hours interviews he said that he was of Irish, English, Scottish (I believe) & one other which I can't recall. It might have been German.

that's exactly what I am...Irish, English, Scottish, German....

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2013, 04:10 PM
Me, too! Along with a little Welsh. OK...I'm a mutt.

AEW21
04-06-2013, 05:50 PM
Knew you Glenn experts would have an idea--thanks!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-06-2013, 06:38 PM
I'm from an Irish and German background as well - don't think I have any English or Scottish in the bloodline, but you never know. Hey maybe, we're all Glenn's kissing cousins! :headbang:

Outlawman13
04-06-2013, 07:21 PM
LOL mmm kissing cousins sound very good!!!!! I'm from a Czech, Irish, German decent.. LOL I feel like I'm just a mutt. LOL

Grey Sadler
04-06-2013, 09:51 PM
Welsh/Irish/German/French?/English?/Undetermined Native American here...talk about mutts!!

Freypower
04-07-2013, 12:07 AM
Glenn's surname comes via Scandinavian mythology. In its modern form I think of it as German. (Think of the word 'freiheit' meaning freedom).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyr

You will note that Freyr 'bestows peace and pleasure on mortals'. :headbang:

His ancestry on his mother's side is Irish. He refers to the Nortons & the Deans in the Dublin DVD as being family names.

The problem we have is that we don't know whether Frey is his birth surname because his mother remarried when he was very young.

I believe that he has Scottish blood too, because there was an anecdote told some years ago about him doing some family history research in Scotland.

Once again, like him my own heritage is primarily Irish (father) & German (mother) with some English & Scottish (mother).

Glennsallnighter
04-07-2013, 06:26 AM
Well if he ever wants somebody Irish to help him look into his Irish roots from the ground so to speak.......

I Volunteer!

GlennLover
04-07-2013, 10:27 AM
Glenn's surname comes via Scandinavian mythology. In its modern form I think of it as German. (Think of the word 'freiheit' meaning freedom).

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freyr

You will note that Freyr 'bestows peace and pleasure on mortals'. :headbang:

His ancestry on his mother's side is Irish. He refers to the Nortons & the Deans in the Dublin DVD as being family names.

The problem we have is that we don't know whether Frey is his birth surname because his mother remarried when he was very young.

I believe that he has Scottish blood too, because there was an anecdote told some years ago about him doing some family history research in Scotland.

Once again, like him my own heritage is primarily Irish (father) & German (mother) with some English & Scottish (mother).

From everything that I have heard & read about Glenn I am lead to believe that ‘Frey’ is most likely not his birth surname. He talked about his father being from the Bethlehem, PA area when he did an interview just before he played there during the "After Hours" tour. He said his father's name was 'Eddie Frey'. 'Eddie' is his mother's second husband. Glenn dedicated a song to "Nell & Ed” on Strange Weather. He has always referred to Eddie as his dad.

Soda has said during his 2008 concert in Niagara Falls that Glenn mentioned that his mother remarried when he was three. Even during the ‘70’s, Rolling Stone called his mother “Nellie Frey” when they quoted her in an interview about Glenn.

There are a number of other articles & interviews that would support this, but this is what I remember off the top of my head.

GlennLover
04-07-2013, 10:32 AM

The more I think about this the more I believe that he said French rather that German, but don't quote me on that. I can't remember if that is one of the interviews that I was able to download. I'll do some searching when I have time.

AEW21
04-07-2013, 04:46 PM
If his (step)father's family roots are in Pennsylvania, I'm guessing Frey is of German descent--such a strong Germanic culture in that region. As for his biological father--if he was never a real presence in his life, it might mean he doesn't know and/or acknowledge the ancestry from that side of his lineage. From all the interviews I've read, the impression is that he sees Ed to be be his "Dad," no qualifiers added to the word...

Must be Scottish in that man somewhere though--it was either on this board or the tour thread that someone shared a story that when the Eagles played Glasgow, his people called ahead and wanted the historical society to poke around for him. Unless he was doing it for Cindy's side of the family...?

ETA: Here's the original post. (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80488&postcount=67). So Frey must be a familiar surname in Scotland--must be all those pesky Germanic invading forces over the early years that brought it there. ;) Wonder if the pronunciation difference comes from the Pennsylvania-Duetsch (German) influence.

Freypower
04-07-2013, 06:29 PM
If his (step)father's family roots are in Pennsylvania, I'm guessing Frey is of German descent--such a strong Germanic culture in that region. As for his biological father--if he was never a real presence in his life, it might mean he doesn't know and/or acknowledge the ancestry from that side of his lineage. From all the interviews I've read, the impression is that he sees Ed to be be his "Dad," no qualifiers added to the word...

Must be Scottish in that man somewhere though--it was either on this board or the tour thread that someone shared a story that when the Eagles played Glasgow, his people called ahead and wanted the historical society to poke around for him. Unless he was doing it for Cindy's side of the family...?

ETA: Here's the original post. (https://eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=80488&postcount=67). So Frey must be a familiar surname in Scotland--must be all those pesky Germanic invading forces over the early years that brought it there. ;) Wonder if the pronunciation difference comes from the Pennsylvania-Duetsch (German) influence.

I don't know that there is necessarily a pronunciation difference. It seems to me the guy in Scotland for some reason was subscribing to the common misconception that the name is pronounced 'Fray'. Either that or he was trying to make a joke. Glenn endured that in Australia for years. In 1988 he was asked directly how it is pronounced.

There is a surname spelt 'Fray'. I don't know if it is Scottish or not. I found this:

http://www.houseofnames.com/Fray-history?A=54323-292

http://www.surnamedb.com/Surname/fray

These suggest this version of the name is English, not Scottish.

GlennLover
04-07-2013, 08:31 PM
I don’t know if this a variation of the story that AEW21 quoted, but I remember reading a story about Glenn calling up a man named Frey, when he was in England (I thought) with the Eagles, to ask about his ancestry. The man told Glenn that he (Glenn) pronounced his name incorrectly.:laugh: Glenn gave the man tickets to the Eagles concert that night.

sodascouts
04-07-2013, 09:07 PM
Well, whether or not the guy was intentionally joking, the story is funny.

However, it's not as if names ever have a "right" or "wrong" pronunciation; just "standard" and "non-standard." In the UK, it's standard to pronounce the letter combination "e-y" as "a-y." Thus, it's hardly surprising that most British people would assume his name was pronounced "Fray."

The same occurs in reverse when Americans assume that Ralph Fiennes' name should be pronounced as if it rhymed with "Alf Pines."

That's why the guy's comment to Glenn is a hoot!

Elizasong
12-04-2014, 12:45 AM
Thought it was appropriate to ask this question on this thread. Does anyone know any information on Glenn's real Dad? Did he ever get to meet him as an adult? Was his Mom and his Dad ever married? It must have been short lived because he is very close with the man he considers his father.

sodascouts
12-05-2014, 01:28 AM
He's never talked about his biological father in any interviews that I'm aware of.

Freypower
12-05-2014, 10:05 PM
He does mention him at the Royal Oak show. He says his aunt & uncle are there & that without his aunt & uncle his mother would never have met his real father.

I think about this from time to time but I don't really want to find out what his birth surname was. Frey is who he is.

DJ
12-06-2014, 06:18 PM
He does mention him at the Royal Oak show. He says his aunt & uncle are there & that without his aunt & uncle his mother would never have met his real father.

I think about this from time to time but I don't really want to find out what his birth surname was. Frey is who he is.

Couldn't agree more FP.

GlennLover
12-06-2014, 07:20 PM

I agree as well!

Elizasong
12-06-2014, 11:52 PM
Yeah it would be weird to hear a different last name. What is the Royal Oak show. Was it a show with the Eagles or a solo show?

sodascouts
12-07-2014, 01:52 AM
It was a solo show - Royal Oak is his hometown, and it was a special "last show" for the local theater. It's been a while since I listened to it. I had forgotten t hat part; my wretched memory is such a liability!

12-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I totally agree that he is "Frey" both in his own mind and in the worlds. And for that very reason, I would suggest that when Glenn mentions his "real" father in the Royal Oaks show, he is referring to Eddie rather than his biological father. He has always maintained that he considers Eddie to be his real father. Based on everything I've ever heard, my guess is that Glenn has little or no recollection of his biological father. I can relate very well to this on a personal level because I also consider my step-father to be my real father even though, unlike Glenn, I actually did know my biological father.

VAisForEagleLovers
12-07-2014, 03:18 PM
Based on everything I've ever heard, my guess is that Glenn has little or no recollection of his biological father.

I more or less agree, Dreamer. When I read it, I assumed he meant Eddie as his real father. I would never presume to make a statement on Glenn's feelings on the matter (unlike others, I've not read or heard much on the subject), but a very good friend of mine, when she says 'real father', she means her stepfather. She has gotten to know her biological father in the last twenty years or so, and refers to him as her 'other' dad. I'm sure that having finally gotten this straight in my head (I think) regarding her situation colors my thinking when others discuss something similar.

Freypower
12-07-2014, 05:29 PM
That confuses me because of the reference to his aunt & uncle. I just assumed that 'real' meant 'biological'. I guess I have got it wrong here.:worried:

VAisForEagleLovers
12-07-2014, 07:19 PM
That confuses me because of the reference to his aunt & uncle. I just assumed that 'real' meant 'biological'. I guess I have got it wrong here.:worried:

To me, a real parent is one that the heart views as the parent. Not necessarily someone you merely share DNA with. Yet there are a lot who see it the same way you do, so I wouldn't say you got it wrong. I'd say we don't know.

Freypower
12-07-2014, 07:37 PM
I should clarify that I agree with everybody's view that Glenn regards his 'real' father as Eddie, but I interpreted the word in that particular context to mean 'biological'.

Brooke
12-08-2014, 11:30 AM
I guess it could go either way and so we'll never know for sure!

Lisa
12-08-2014, 12:09 PM
Well, I would suppose that Glenn Frey would have felt close to his mother, and that he may have been thanking his "real father" for always being a "real father" to him. Of course, Glenn Frey could instead have been abstractly including all of his parents, and maybe that is why he is not specific.

Glenn Frey as a star and a public figure standing in the spotlight may have intended to include everyone who made his resulting situation (talent, career, fame, fortune & celebrity) and his life possible, and he may have chosen to be deliberately vague to do this.

I'm sure he wouldn't have made a public statement about his relatives that he didn't think about ahead of time.

As far as I know, his mother was remarried; and she had been married twice. (But don't quote me--this is not definite, bedrock or certain--this is all speculation, opinion, and gossip;--and I'm including with the speculation and gossip elements of the discussion that Glenn also may be some percent French. I don't know the answer to this one, but ?maybe his last name would even be a French name? Now, this heritage musing has once again become pure gossip and speculation).

I think the public side should be the only side socially.

Glennsallnighter
12-09-2014, 06:49 AM

I would definitely agree with this too.

GlennLover
12-09-2014, 09:05 PM
I thought that I had heard a quote from one of Glenn's 2007 Niagara Falls shows in which he mentioned his mother remarrying. I did some research & found PLS's comment in her review of the August 17, 2007 show Quote:

Oh and I got to walk down to see The Falls. It's the first time I've ever been there. I think it was the second night that Glenn told us his mom remarried when he was three and they took him with them on their honeymoon to Niagara Falls. There's a picture of him in his little raincoat and hat, smiling while scared to death.

I'd love to see that picture!

Elizasong
12-09-2014, 09:21 PM
Wow. Good point. I think he was referring to the father he knows and loves at Royal Oak. The Niagara Falls story puts a whole new twist to it.

sodascouts
03-02-2016, 12:19 AM
I'm copying over to this thread some of the info GL found here (http://ethnicelebs.com/glenn-frey).

Ethnicity: French-Canadian, English, Irish, Scottish

Glenn was born to Nellie Marie (Markham) and Robert George Cedar. He was raised by his mother and her second husband, Edward “Eddie” Warren Frey.

Glenn’s paternal grandparents were James Edward Cedar (the son of William DuCidre/Cedar and Helene/Heleine/Ellen Boucher/Bouchet/Bushey) and Charlotte H. Watson (the daughter of Ernest Watson and Eliza Elizabeth Howcroft). James was born in Kent, Ontario, Canada, of French-Canadian descent. Charlotte was born in Michigan, to English parents.

Glenn’s maternal grandparents were George Dewey Markham (the son of John Markham and Lucy Sue Scott) and Edith May/Mae McVey (the daughter of Sanford Jackson McVey and Mable Claire Dean). Lucy was the daughter of Mandaville Jackson Scott and Rebecca Ann Cooper.

Glenn’s paternal grandparents, James Edward Cedar and Charlotte H. Watson, on the 1920 U.S. Census – https://familysearch.org (https://familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MZ4W-3MQ)

Glenn’s paternal grandfather, James Edward Cedar, on the 1901 Canadian Census – http://data2.collectionscanada.ca (http://data2.collectionscanada.ca/1901/z/z002/jpg/z000051214.jpg)

GlennLover
03-02-2016, 12:20 AM
Thanks, Soda.

Pippinwhite
01-02-2018, 08:20 PM
Just a small addition to the thread.
From Ancestry.com, I found where Glenn's mom married Robert Cedar, Glenn's biological dad, in March, 1946. She married Edward Frey in September, 1951. I didn't see where the marriage dates were listed anywhere on this thread. His mother's obituary is also on www.findagrave.com.

And a fun tidbit: They were listed in the Royal Oak City Directory in 1958. Just thought I'd share these little factoids since I came across them.

https://content.screencast.com/users/amygeek/folders/Jing/media/5ed106d9-99ac-42fb-818d-53767c8e5048/2018-01-02_1736.png

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 09:08 PM
Thank You Pippin ! Interesting, Glenn was almost 3(he would be 3 in Nov.) when his Mom remarried.
Soda had some cute stories about Glenn's Mom & step-dad's honeymoon in Niagara Falls. If I remember right, they took baby Glenn with them.

Is Glenn's Dad still alive ? He must be in his 90's by now.

Pippinwhite
01-02-2018, 09:15 PM
@NKIT -- I think he must be. He would be 91 or so. I haven't found any evidence to suggest he's passed on.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 09:15 PM
I don't know if extended family are invited to attend the Kennedy Center Honors but I would imagine so because it is quite an exceptional honor. I wonder if Glenn's dad was able to go? Anyone know?

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 09:26 PM
Dawn - I wondered that too. However, when your into your 90's traveling 3,000 miles(from Calif. where he lives) can be difficult. I wonder if his two brothers attended the KCH.

SIDE QUESTION : Soda I had read somewhere Glenn spoke French. Is this true ? Just wondering. Do you know if he ever met or had a relationship with his biolog. father ? He would have only been 1 or 2 when his they separated/ divorced.

groupie2686
01-02-2018, 09:40 PM
SIDE QUESTION : Soda I had read somewhere Glenn spoke French. Is this true ? Just wondering. Do you know if he ever met or had a relationship with his biolog. father ? He would have only been 1 or 2 when his they separated/ divorced.

I've wondered this myself. I read somewhere that Mr. Cedar abandoned the family. Did he ever contact Glenn? Did Glenn ever try to find him? Things we'll probably never know.

And Glenn spoke french? As I used to be semi - fluent in French (I'm a bit rusty these days, lol), I find that immensely cool. :)

I'd love to see a picture of 3 year old Glenn on his parent's honeymoon...I bet he was adorable!

Freypower
01-02-2018, 09:40 PM
I don't know if extended family are invited to attend the Kennedy Center Honors but I would imagine so because it is quite an exceptional honor. I wonder if Glenn's dad was able to go? Anyone know?

I think if he had gone we would have seen him in one of the photos. I would hardly call his father 'extended' even though he's not the biological father. Same with the brothers. There were no photos of them to my knowledge.

And NKIT I have absolutely no clue whether Glenn ever knew his biological father, but I doubt it.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 09:49 PM
I think if he had gone we would have seen him in one of the photos. I would hardly call his father 'extended' even though he's not the biological father. Same with the brothers. There were no photos of them to my knowledge.

And NKIT I have absolutely no clue whether Glenn ever knew his biological father, but I doubt it.

Yes, I agree I guess I was thinking more in terms of spouse and children. I never really looked to see if there were other pics but I remember seeing one that I believe may have included more family members. I could be mistaken.

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 09:54 PM
Yes, I agree I guess I was thinking more in terms of spouse and children. I never really looked to see if there were other pics but I remember seeing one that I believe may have included more family members. I could be mistaken.

Dawn - I saw one picture in the KCH thread of Cindy and the kids with Tommy Nixon and his other "Eagles" family. I did not see any pictures of his brothers. If they went, maybe they did not want to be photographed.

There was one photo a neighbor posted of Glenn in what appeared to be a backyard. He was with some kids(holding one of them) and a man. I thought he kind of looked like the man. I forget what the thread was titled but it was posted about two years ago. The neighbor was a friend of his youngest brother Matt.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 10:01 PM
Dawn - I saw one picture in the KCH thread of Cindy and the kids with Tommy Nixon and his other "Eagles" family. I did not see any pictures of his brothers. If they went, maybe they did not want to be photographed.

Ok that may be the one I am thinking of I will have to take a look and see if that's the one I remember seeing. Thanks NKIT!

Is this it?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d9/59/16/d9591685265e593d005f811313d50e3f--eagles-band-the-eagles.jpg

buffyfan145
01-02-2018, 10:04 PM
Thanks for posting Pippin. This is all interesting especially that he might've spoken French.

New Kid In Town
01-02-2018, 10:16 PM
Ok that may be the one I am thinking of I will have to take a look and see if that's the one I remember seeing. Thanks NKIT!

Is this it?

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/d9/59/16/d9591685265e593d005f811313d50e3f--eagles-band-the-eagles.jpg

Yes that's the picture. The 6'2'' Deacon towers over everyone in the picture.
Also, the thread I am talking about where a friend of his brother Matt put up a picture is titled "The Third Brother" under the Glenn Frey Thread. I think it's on page 4. It has the picture I am talking about.

Dawn
01-02-2018, 10:29 PM
Yes that's the picture. The 6'2'' Deacon towers over everyone in the picture.
Also, the thread I am talking about where a friend of his brother Matt put up a picture is titled "The Third Brother" under the Glenn Frey Thread. I think it's on page 4. It has the picture I am talking about.

Thanks! I am definitly not up tp speed on the Eagles band family and don't really know who is who in the pic. I am getting OT so I will move to the other thread.

Freypower
01-02-2018, 11:04 PM
Two of the older men are Tommy Nixon & Jerry Vaccarino but I have forgotten who the other man is.

Pippinwhite
01-02-2018, 11:20 PM
It wouldn't surprise me if Glenn spoke a little French. And if he took a foreign language in high school, I wouldn't take French off the list. You know, guys who speak French attract the ladies... LOL.

sodascouts
01-03-2018, 02:11 AM
As late as the Longbranch Pennywhistle days, Glenn had no contact with his biological father. I don't know if that changed post-fame.

New Kid In Town
01-03-2018, 04:35 PM
As late as the Longbranch Pennywhistle days, Glenn had no contact with his biological father. I don't know if that changed post-fame.

Interesting - Thank You Soda.

01-28-2018, 07:20 PM
Two of the older men are Tommy Nixon & Jerry Vaccarino but I have forgotten who the other man is.

I always thought that was Danny Grenier on the far left. That's about how he looked during the After Hours tour. Here's a larger version of the photo:

http://i.imgur.com/yTcNzS7.jpg

Freypower
01-28-2018, 07:28 PM
Wow, Dreamer, I think you're right! Thanks. Danny was such a loyal supporter & friend to Glenn.

New Kid In Town
01-28-2018, 08:49 PM
That's a great picture. TY for making it larger. Is it just me or does Tommy Nixon look a little frail ?

Freypower
01-28-2018, 09:26 PM
That's a great picture. TY for making it larger. Is it just me or does Tommy Nixon look a little frail ?

Given that he died not too long after this, probably.