PDA

View Full Version : Glenn's voice

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 08:54 AM
I didn't see a thread on this so forgive me if there already is one! I just wanted to share my favorite Glenn moments in Eagles songs! (I don't have any of his solo stuff)

My favorite is how he sings the line from Doolin-Dalton, "Well the towns led across the dusty plains, like graveyards filled with tombstones, waitin' for the names"...ahhh!! :) I just LOVE how his voice sounds there!!

Also, this isn't a part he sings but at the end of Already Gone when he says, "Alright, nighty night"!

And of course 'Lighten up, while you still can"

GlennLover
04-08-2013, 09:30 AM
I'm right on with you there! :thumbsup: I'll post more of mine later. No time at the moment.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2013, 11:44 AM
ITA with you on those too, ALA. I also have quite a few others to add when I get more time, but the first one to pop into my head is how he sings I Volunteer - the whole song is meltworthy to me.

This is a good idea for a thread - we should have one for all of the guys if we don't already. We've obviously discussed this stuff plenty on the board, but it's probably spread throughout many threads.

Outlawman13
04-08-2013, 02:17 PM
Glenn's voice (to me) is very beautiful, unique, and perfect. I can listen to his vocals everyday and not get tired of them. He has been my favvie Eagle 'cause of this reason. I love how he can change his vocals like on Out of Control and Somebody Else. But when I listen to Walk in the Dark, I just melt (like most of his songs). Angelic voice!!!!!!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-08-2013, 02:40 PM
As I put in the review threads, one thing that just amazes me is his versatility. He can stand in front of that microphone and croon The Shadow of Your Smile with the sweetest voice and then a little while later he's singing/growling out Who's Been Sleeping In My Bed.

Outlawman13
04-08-2013, 03:15 PM
Mmm yes that growl is amazing. The versitle of his voice is perfect!!!

Glennsallnighter
04-08-2013, 05:15 PM
You can hear that growl too in 'Somebody' which I was lucky enough to see him perform live 3 times. Then the gorgeous melting chocolate quality of it when he is singing 'For Sentimental Reasons'

Freypower
04-08-2013, 05:17 PM
If I were to start about this I would be here all day. I will have to give it some thought except that for me, the After Hours album is the best singing he has ever done.

My favourite vocal of his in the Eagles is New Kid In Town. As for favourite moments I don't really see it that way. I do have one that stands out which is 'I look at you/your whole life stands before you' in POMPOY. He sounds very vulnerable there. The emotion is raw.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 07:44 PM
I posted in another thread that I just heard Smugglers Blues for the first time and I loved it immediately! His voice is so awesome in that! I am definitely going to check out more of his solo stuff now. I feel kind of bad that when I first joined this forum a few weeks ago, I stated that I didn't think his voice or Don's voice was very special, but that's only because I got so into Randy's right away, and you know how you focus on one thing, you don't notice other things! So now i'm going to check out all of Glenn's solo stuff!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-08-2013, 07:54 PM
To me, the magic of the Eagles is the fact they all have such incredible voices. Even Joe, his voice isn't 'money' or 'sweet' or something that will get written up in a review, but it's unique. Together, they are beyond words. Solo, they are all still pretty incredible.

Outlawman13
04-08-2013, 08:03 PM
OHHHH yes. When they blend their voices together, it's just beyound imaginable. They are incredible!!!!!!!!!!!!! All of the solo stuff is awesome as well!!!!!!!! I'm loving Bernie's voice too. LOL I'm way too obsessed with Glenn's though. LOL.

zeldabjr
04-08-2013, 09:19 PM
To me, the magic of the Eagles is the fact they all have such incredible voices. Even Joe, his voice isn't 'money' or 'sweet' or something that will get written up in a review, but it's unique. Together, they are beyond words. Solo, they are all still pretty incredible.

from your lips to God's ears VA...that they "all" have incredible voices...if you know what I mean...

Freypower
04-08-2013, 10:20 PM
I agree that they all have great voices. However, as this thread is about Glenn's voice here are a couple more of my favourite moments:

I'm Getting Old Before My Time - 'my bones just creak'. This should be the opposite of sexy but it's about the sexiest piece of singing I can think of.

I Wanna Be Around - 'like you, LIKE YOU, broke mine'! Sigh.

Here's To Life - all of it but especially 'to dreamers & their dreams' & 'every joy it brings'.

Route 66 - the casual, cool way he sings the title. It's more intense live but wow, it works.

Same Girl - all of it, especially 'a few more nights on the street, that's all'.

Grey Sadler
04-08-2013, 10:24 PM
Same Girl - all of it, especially 'a few more nights on the street, that's all'.

...THAT song in particular...Glenn's voice just gives me the chills :woah:

Freypower
04-08-2013, 10:31 PM
...THAT song in particular...Glenn's voice just gives me the chills :woah:

I'm glad I am not the only one. Live, it was just beyond moving.

From the Eagles I should mention the entire Grammy winning performances of Lyin' Eyes & Heartache Tonight.

There are many others. As I said I could write about this all day. The man has been my favourite singer since 1977 & I can never do him sufficient justice.

GlennLover
04-08-2013, 10:43 PM
Great choices, FP! I agree with all of them, esp "Same Girl" & the lines in "Here's To Life"!

I particularly like the way he gets into the "Beat around the bushes" verse of Heartache Tonight. Also can't forget "it's a gir,l my Lord, in a flatbed Ford slowin' down to take a look at me".

AEW21
04-09-2013, 12:01 AM
I can see I have to delve deeper into the Eagles/Frey catalog, seeing all these lists. :)

Just have to add I love his voice and phrasing on "Ol' 55." "The cars are all passing me, the trucks are all flashing me; I'm headed home from your place"--just the way he splits the syllables of "place"--the emotion as it leads into the chorus. The same when "...pulled away slowly, feeling so ho-ly"--just his phrasing and breathing in "slowly" and "holy"--it's strong, but not forced or two much. And even in the harmony at the end, when he adds "Yes it is..." Nice emphasis.
He doesn't oversing it, knowing the power is in the song's structure and lyrics--just the perfect tone and slight melancholy in his voice.

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-09-2013, 12:57 AM
I loved after hours off his new CD. The whole song is beautiful but this section makes me melt :angel:

When I see the quiet street
I always think of her
Not the way she is now
But the way that she was then
Sometimes you can't go back again

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2013, 02:46 AM
Here's To Life - all of it but especially 'to dreamers & their dreams' & 'every joy it brings'.

You already know I'm going to completely agree with you on all of them, but especially this one!

The opening note of The Good Life, where he goes from vibrato to 'straight' is pretty incredible, too.

I think my favorite song to listen to purely for his voice with the Eagles is What Do I Do With My Heart. Maybe because to me it's the best of his voice and the best of Don's voice.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-09-2013, 08:37 AM
I can see I have to delve deeper into the Eagles/Frey catalog, seeing all these lists. :)

Just have to add I love his voice and phrasing on "Ol' 55." "The cars are all passing me, the trucks are all flashing me; I'm headed home from your place"--just the way he splits the syllables of "place"--the emotion as it leads into the chorus. The same when "...pulled away slowly, feeling so ho-ly"--just his phrasing and breathing in "slowly" and "holy"--it's strong, but not forced or two much. And even in the harmony at the end, when he adds "Yes it is..." Nice emphasis.
He doesn't oversing it, knowing the power is in the song's structure and lyrics--just the perfect tone and slight melancholy in his voice.

I really love this song too!! I agree about his voice in it! The chorus gives me chills, "and now the sun's comin' up" that line especially!

Outlawman13
04-09-2013, 10:07 AM
The After Hours c.d. is the way to go if you want to experience his voice first. I love that his voice is more sophisticated when he is getting older. The whole After Hours c.d. gave me chills as well. LOL especially listening to it through the earphones. What Do I Do With My Heart is another song that just gives me chills. I JUST CAN'T GET ENOUGH OF GLENN'S BEAUTIFUL VOICE!!!!!!!!!!! All of his solo collection is wonderful and incredible too like Part of Me, Part of You.

Windeagle
04-09-2013, 10:21 AM
Oh my. So many stellar moments, it's hard to choose. Ol' 55 and What Do I Do With My Heart are up there, but the one that stands out for me is After the Thrill is Gone. The longing, loss and disappointment are so tangible in his vocal on that song you just want to give him a hug!

For growly-n'-hot, nothing can beat the live version of Smuggler's Blues that's on the Pittsburgh 1994 bootleg. I think it's over on EOC somewhere. That clip turns me into a quivering puddle every time.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2013, 10:29 AM
ITA, WE, with what you've said. Watching him perform Somebody back in 2008 was growly-n-hot, too.

sodascouts
04-09-2013, 12:55 PM
I think he delivers a terrific vocal on the little-known "This Way to Happiness" off of his Solo Collection. It's exuberant, heart-felt, powerful, and versatile - the way he sings "Lord I've been searchin' for what seems like forever now" is terrific, just the right combo of rough and smooth. Another great moment: "Like an angel from above, you came down and rescued me." That's just a couple of many. He really goes full-throttle on it.

On Amazon you can listen to a sample of it here: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Collection/dp/B007YR0JW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365526197&sr=8-2&keywords=glenn+frey+solo+collection

But I say just buy the track for $1.29 - it's worth it!

It's also available on iTunes if you prefer that, and there's a longer, better sample excerpt in the iTunes store if you just want to listen to a clip.

prayfordaylight
04-09-2013, 01:45 PM
I think he delivers a terrific vocal on the little-known "This Way to Happiness" off of his Solo Collection. It's exuberant, heart-felt, powerful, and versatile - the way he sings "Lord I've been searchin' for what seems like forever now" is terrific, just the right combo of rough and smooth. Another great moment: "Like an angel from above, you came down and rescued me." That's just a couple of many. He just goes full-throttle on it.

One of my absolute favorite Glenn songs. When I was getting into the Eagles in the 90s, I bought the Solo Collection and instantly fell in love with that song.

EaglesKiwi
04-09-2013, 03:23 PM
For showcasing his voice, my favourites are:

What Do I Do With My Heart ("No one could ever love you the way I do" just breaks my heart, and then when he and Don sing together at the end - the "oooh" after "I'll love you to death do us part" - oh my!!). This song has edged out the glorious New Kid In Town as my absolute favourite Glenn Eagles lead - possibly because I like the story better. :angel:

Same Girl - this was unbelievably haunting live, I still had it going through my head a week later.

And for Glenn's yummy growly voice - Out of Control!

Freypower
04-09-2013, 06:49 PM
I think he delivers a terrific vocal on the little-known "This Way to Happiness" off of his Solo Collection. It's exuberant, heart-felt, powerful, and versatile - the way he sings "Lord I've been searchin' for what seems like forever now" is terrific, just the right combo of rough and smooth. Another great moment: "Like an angel from above, you came down and rescued me." That's just a couple of many. He really goes full-throttle on it.

On Amazon you can listen to a sample of it here: http://www.amazon.com/Solo-Collection/dp/B007YR0JW6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1365526197&sr=8-2&keywords=glenn+frey+solo+collection

But I say just buy the track for $1.29 - it's worth it!

It's also available on iTunes if you prefer that, and there's a longer, better sample excerpt in the iTunes store if you just want to listen to a clip.

I agree with this but I also love the vocal in Call On Me because it's so sexy.

Regarding WDIDWMH it is so rare to hear him do improvisation because that is Don's speciality (see OOTN, HITW). He sounds so passionate.

Of the other LROOE vocals, Somebody is a tour de force. It's riveting.

You feel the empathy as he sings You Are Not Alone with such compassion & understanding.

It's Your World Now.... I'm so glad he got to 'close' an Eagles album at last. I thought at the time it may be the last vocal he might ever do! It still may be his last Eagles vocal, who knows? It's elegiac & full of nostalgia for the past but confidence about the future ('be part of something good/leave something good behind).

I Love To Watch A Woman Dance - I know not everybody shares my passion for this song but the vocal is pure Puddle Of Goo.

Going back to After Hours the way he builds up the urgency of The Look Of Love is fascinating. It starts off rather tentative as if the protagonist is still getting to know his lover. The heartbreaking way he sings 'don't ever go/I love you so' at the end is wonderful.

I told you it was hard to stop me on this subject.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-09-2013, 07:13 PM
If all that wasn't enough, there's his speaking voice. I could listen to him for hours and all he'd need to do is recite the phone book. A long time ago, back when I still had my first cat, I was listening to some of Glenn's music and I absentmindedly reached down to pet the cat that was begging for attention. After a little while I looked down and realized the look on his face was about the same as mine. I'm pretty sure that if it were possible, I'd purr when listening to Glenn speak or sing.

Outlawman13
04-09-2013, 08:04 PM
LOL I could do this forever as well!!!!!!!! His speaking voice is what I call an eargasm. LOL. I could listen to him for hours and just be in Heaven. LOL his voice is so passionate and so quiet. I catch myself watching some interviews on the computer and just be in awe of him and his voice. MMMMMMM he has it all. Love all the songs he sings and that hott, speaking voice. MMMMMMMMMM

Windeagle
04-10-2013, 11:07 AM
It's Your World Now.... I'm so glad he got to 'close' an Eagles album at last. I thought at the time it may be the last vocal he might ever do! It still may be his last Eagles vocal, who knows? It's elegiac & full of nostalgia for the past but confidence about the future ('be part of something good/leave something good behind).

I've often thought It's Your World Now would be the perfect father-of-the-bride dance song. Too bad I'm already married!

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-11-2013, 08:37 AM
I love his voice in Smugglers Blues too! I think I might have mentioned that already. Right now i'm on Spotify listening to all his solo stuff, I like Common Ground so far. His voice is awesome all the time, I just don't like the music of most of these songs so far.

Oh my..."I've Got Mine"...really loving his voice in this song!!! It's so soft and breathy!

UndertheWire
08-25-2013, 01:42 PM
I'm gradually working my way through Glenn's back catalogue but one thing that suprises me is how young he sounds even in the most recent recordings. I would never have matched that voice to a man in his sixties.

It does seem a real shame that he sang less and less as time went on within the Eagles. For me, the diversity of singing voices was one of the strengths of the band.

08-25-2013, 02:18 PM
I'm gradually working my way through Glenn's back catalogue but one thing that suprises me is how young he sounds even in the most recent recordings. I wouldn't never have matched that voice to a man in his sixties.

It does seem a real shame that he sang less and less as time went on within the Eagles. For me, the diversity of singing voices was one of the strengths of the band.

I couldn't agree with you more about this, UTW. As a matter of fact, I just commented in another thread how much appreciation I have for bands that use multiple lead vocalists. As they say "Variety is the spice of life". I, obviously, don't know this, but reading in between the lines, I get the impression that the guys in the band also realize this more now than they did back in the day.

Prettymaid
08-25-2013, 02:33 PM
I agree. I've mentioned on here also that I like bands that have multiple lead singers. That was something I really appreciated in the Eagles when I first heard them. I also hoping, like Dreamer, that Glenn now realizes that the fans want to hear him, too. The idea that Glenn didn't have to sing as much because they had Don Henley is flawed. They are two totally different types of singers, with their own styles and cadences, and fans enjoy both of their voices and know that they both contribute to make that wonderful Eagles sound.

sodascouts
08-25-2013, 03:03 PM
Exactly. If I just want to hear Don Henley I'll buy a solo album. Part of the Eagles magic is that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts. Sometimes a song is more suited to Glenn, Joe, or Timothy than it is to Don, and while Don's talents are considerable, his bandmates have their own strengths. The Eagles are at their best when they utilize everyone.

MaryCalifornia
08-25-2013, 04:12 PM
I believe that the Eagles' initial success in the early '70s and enduring popularity is due to the fact that they used multiple lead singers. I have never heard anyone say, "Gosh, I wish we could hear less of Randy" - never! "Wish we could hear less of Timothy" - never! "Wish we could hear less of Glenn" - NEVER. Same for Joe. Its what makes the band so cool. People seem to love hearing Bernie on this tour. I can't think of any band that has that level of vocal talent from 6 members (sorry, not including Felder here - he may be a fine singer). Not to mention their musicianship...it's so cool that they can all hold their own at the pinnacle of their industry - voice and instrument-wise. No other band has that.

Freypower
08-25-2013, 07:11 PM
When you see Glenn by himself you realise how good he is. When you hear the After Hours album, it is a revelation. I am still coming to terms with it.

It was very gratifiying for me that he sang about half of LROOE. This needed to happen, in my view. Less gratifying is that in Eagles shows he still sings most of his songs in the first half of the setlist and he mainly does ballads. He has even slowed down Heartache Tonight now.

08-26-2013, 01:30 AM
Well even though this is a little off-topic for this thread, I'll go ahead and respond to FP. To me it makes perfect sense that Glenn song's in the Eagles shows are mainly ballads - after all, many of his Eagles hits are ballads. The only uptempo hits that he has are Take It Easy, Already Gone, and Heartache Tonight (I guess you could also count How Long if you want to consider it a hit). Since the second half of the Eagles shows are more uptempo and rocking, it's not surprising to me that a lot of Glenn's hits are sung in the first half. Honestly, I don't really think it's that disproportionate. I guess he could move Already Gone to the second half of the show, and then it would be about an even split.

Tony Trout
09-06-2013, 07:17 AM
Speaking of Glenn's voice...

During the bonus segments of the "Farewell I" DVD, you can CLEARLY notice that Glenn is fighting a cold or possibly bronchitis and you can see him struggling to hit notes. Did he go onstage while ill for the filming of "Farewell I - Live From Melbourne"? It seems like it to me...

09-06-2013, 01:18 PM
Tony - I have noticed all of the guys struggling with their voices at times, which I think is a natural phenomenon at their age. However, I didn't really notice Glenn struggling with his voice on the Farewell I DVD. I think his voice is just more 'nasally' now than it was when he was younger. I have seen him perform live when he actually did have a cold or sinus infection, but that didn't seem apparent to me here. Of course, it's possible that he did, but, I certainly didn't notice.

Freypower
09-06-2013, 05:44 PM
Speaking of Glenn's voice...

During the bonus segments of the "Farewell I" DVD, you can CLEARLY notice that Glenn is fighting a cold or possibly bronchitis and you can see him struggling to hit notes. Did he go onstage while ill for the filming of "Farewell I - Live From Melbourne"? It seems like it to me...

I was at one of those shows & four of the subsequent Sydney shows & his voice was perfect. It was Don who struggled. This may sound like bias but it is how I saw it at the time.

sodascouts
09-07-2013, 06:09 PM
I thought he sounded great.

GlennLover
09-07-2013, 06:26 PM
I thought he sounded great.

So did I!

09-07-2013, 06:42 PM
Me too! As a matter of fact, I don't know what they sounded like at the live shows, but to me they all sound great on the DVD. Honestly, I don't think the DVD would have ever seen the light of day if any of the guys voices had been inferior.

Glennsallnighter
09-07-2013, 06:43 PM
I've never noticed that he sounded 'off' on either the original DVD or the newer Blu ray. To me he sounds (and looks) superb on both!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2013, 10:31 PM
It has always seemed to me like Don was struggling with a throat issue. He sounded great, but not nearly as great as the live shows I've seen. There are times in the video that he seems to have to really work just to sing. Swallowing hard before a line, and he doesn't do that now. I've wondered if he was having a flare up of the tonsils for the show(s).

I didn't notice any issues with Glenn's voice, but there were a few moments where he, too, had to work to make it happen. I'm not totally sure what the point of the post was, but if anyone can sing something as well in their late 50's as they did in their 20's, then they were singing nursery rhymes in their 20's. Even the great Sinatra struggled once he hit his 40's.

WalshFan88
09-08-2013, 10:58 PM
As VA said - it's very common for the voice to change as you get older. Lots of my favorite singers can't hit the high notes anymore. Doesn't mean they are suddenly not great, quite the opposite.

I've noticed a couple songs have lowered keys, like HC and Boys Of Summer (when they were doing that one). It's just bound to happen, really.

Both Glenn and Don's voice sounds great right now. They may not be able to hit the highest notes anymore or have dropped the key a bit, but as I said, that's pretty much the norm.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-08-2013, 11:03 PM
Depressingly, it's more noticable for women, and seems to start at an earlier age. That's OK, I screech it out anyway...

WalshFan88
09-09-2013, 08:38 PM
Depressingly, it's more noticable for women, and seems to start at an earlier age. That's OK, I screech it out anyway...

The only one that comes to mind that can still hit them all is Ann Wilson. It's amazing.

Freypower
12-29-2013, 11:39 PM
Well, we have Don's voice topic where people wondered how he started singing & it was basically by accident.

Glenn started by playing piano. I think it was after he saw the Beatles that he realised that he wanted to play guitar & sing. But when did he realise he could sing? As with Don, did someone tell him or did he just start & discover as soon as he joined a band that he could sing? You have to start somewhere. What were his first, tentative efforrts like? Did he sing along with the radio?

As for the Satisfaction story how did he decide he could sing it & why? Needless to say, I would love to hear it.

Of course, his first recorded efforrts with the Mushrooms & Longbranch Pennywhistle don't show his talents at all. To get an idea of how great he was going to be you have to listen to his backing vocal on Seger's Ramblin' Gamblin' Man. This of course reminds you that he is a great backing singer as well as a great lead singer, which is significant.

One of my favourite things is listening to him talk about singing; for example in the Today Show interview he says how for piano singing he had to change his breathing & how he held the notes. He introduced HTL in Sydney by saying something about becoming more confident about what he could do with his voice the further he went into making the album & that is why he decided to try HTL.

This is something I have always been interested in & I am quite surprised the subject has never come up; for Don as well.

MaryCalifornia
12-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Agree that Glenn is a great backing and harmony singer. I've always wondered on which songs it is just him and Timothy singing on a song that Don sings lead on. Does that make sense? Without Joe, Steuart, or any other of the musicians? Also, on what Eagles songs does just Glenn sing backup by himself? I would love to see a diagram for each song they're playing on this tour as far as who comes up to the mike and when!

Freypower
12-30-2013, 12:02 AM
Agree that Glenn is a great backing and harmony singer. I've always wondered on which songs it is just him and Timothy singing on a song that Don sings lead on. Does that make sense? Without Joe, Steuart, or any other of the musicians? Also, on what Eagles songs does just Glenn sing backup by himself? I would love to see a diagram for each song they're playing on this tour as far as who comes up to the mike and when!

Off the top of my head, I can't recall ever seeing only Glenn & Tim singing backup with Don on stage & Glenn certainly does not do it by himself. The closest he got was the title track of LROOE but that had a chorus on which the other members sang.

MaryCalifornia
12-30-2013, 12:41 AM
I may be using incorrect terminology when I say backup. Is that the same as singing the chorus?

shunlvswx
12-30-2013, 12:43 AM
Thanks for that FP. It always makes you wonder how the guys got their chops or how they develop their voice. Was it an accident like you said about Don or it develop over time and you wanted to let it out.

Do we know if Glenn was in the choir in high school? We know he was in the band, but did he join his school choir?

I will check out Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on YouTube. If I can find out.

Freypower
12-30-2013, 12:56 AM
I may be using incorrect terminology when I say backup. Is that the same as singing the chorus?

Backup is singing harmonies or another part. So when Glenn sings parts of Lyin' Eyes & Don is singing with him, Don is singing backup. When Don sings the verses in LROOE such as 'freeways flickering/cell phones chiming a tune' Glenn is singing backup with him. Tim sings backup in the line 'standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona' in Take It Easy. Obviously the chorus parts also count as backup singing.

Freypower
12-30-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks for that FP. It always makes you wonder how the guys got their chops or how they develop their voice. Was it an accident like you said about Don or it develop over time and you wanted to let it out.

Do we know if Glenn was in the choir in high school? We know he was in the band, but did he join his school choir?

I will check out Ramblin' Gamblin' Man on YouTube. If I can find out.

You see, this is what I don't know. I have no information on how Glenn started singing.

UndertheWire
12-30-2013, 04:30 AM
He was invited to join The Four of Us which was an established harmony group so that's where he may have learned about harmonies.

I find "Get you in the Mood" interesting because to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like Robert Plant. (I know that sounds silly but that's what I get from it).

What I like about his solo career is they way he tried new things with his voice. In one interview, he said Bob Seger encouraged him for his first solo effort.

chaim
12-30-2013, 07:53 AM
The vocal in Outlaw Man sort of makes me go, "That's Glenn Frey, right there". If I had to choose just one song to play to someone, to introduce Glenn's voice (or any Eagles voice), that could be the one.
In some songs Glenn sounds very romantic, in some songs (Out Of Control) he sounds very tough. Outlaw Man is - kind of - in between. It's magnificent. I'm not a huge fan when he gets very sentimental.

luna65
12-30-2013, 03:26 PM
I tend to think of Glenn as a pure singer, in that he can sing just about any style and blend into it. But it's funny, as much as he's wanted to be a rocker all these years, he sounds best on ballads, I think. Like buttah!

Freypower
12-30-2013, 05:37 PM
He was invited to join The Four of Us which was an established harmony group so that's where he may have learned about harmonies.

I find "Get you in the Mood" interesting because to me it sounds like he's trying to sound like Robert Plant. (I know that sounds silly but that's what I get from it).

What I like about his solo career is they way he tried new things with his voice. In one interview, he said Bob Seger encouraged him for his first solo effort.

Interesting. I love them both. It isn't a comparison I would not have made myself except that Glenn has not really tried to sing that way since then.

12-30-2013, 10:38 PM
I never actually commented in this thread specifically about Glenn's voice. I guess it goes without saying that I absolutely love it. As a matter of fact, he is my very favorite male singer ever. I think the thing that impresses me the most about his voice is his versatility. He can sound as smooth as silk and as soft as velvet on one song, and then very rough and growly on another. I'll always remember once when I was playing the new Long Road Out of Eden for my aunt - she couldn't believe that the person singing in 'How Long' was the same person singing in 'What Do I Do With My Heart'.

But it's funny, as much as he's wanted to be a rocker all these years, he sounds best on ballads, I think. Like buttah!

I have also commented about how ironic this is that the same Eagle who wanted the band to rock out so badly is the very one that ended up making an album of old classic ballads.

GlennLover
12-31-2013, 12:33 AM
Glenn did say on a fairly recent interview (within the last couple of years), possibly an After Hours interview, that he used to sing in the church choir, so maybe that is where he got his start.

Brooke
12-31-2013, 11:13 AM
I tend to think of Glenn as a pure singer, in that he can sing just about any style and blend into it. But it's funny, as much as he's wanted to be a rocker all these years, he sounds best on ballads, I think. Like buttah!

I love Glenn's voice too, so soft and smooth! Like buttah, that's perfect!

shunlvswx
12-31-2013, 11:52 AM
I listen to the After Hours CD and I still can't believe that Glenn singing those songs, but he did sound great.

I'm getting use to Glenn's voice, but his voice is soothing. I have to admit. I like when he sings the ballads. I love when he sings the uptempo songs, but those ballads makes me melt especially New Kid in Town. My favorite song that he sings.

I would had loved to see little Glenn singing in his church choir. I wonder did he sing solos.

VAisForEagleLovers
01-01-2014, 02:06 PM
I was just playing around on the computer and listened to the traditional NYD song of Dan Fogelberg's, Same Old Lang Syne, then moved on to Hard to Say and was reminded by the tingling sensation throughout that Glenn sings background vocals on this song. I'm not good about remembering all the songs he's ever appeared in, so when one catches me by surprise like this it tends to make my day! I was just listening and reading Facebook when his voice kicked in and I had to stop reading and just close my eyes and listen.

sodascouts
01-03-2014, 12:04 PM
I had forgotten he was on that. I'll have to take a listen.

01-03-2014, 02:10 PM
I love that song too. Glenn sounds so awesome on it (and OBTW - Dan don't sound half bad either)! :thumbsup:

Brooke
01-03-2014, 03:05 PM
Oooooh, I need to listen to that again! I didn't know he was on it!

And why haven't I put any Dan F on my ipod yet? :headscratch: This must be remedied asap!

OntheBorder74
09-17-2014, 04:07 PM
I completely agree love the glenn contributions;

Time Passes and you must move on, Half the distance takes you twice as long.. After The Thrill is Gone

An your'e still around..Oh my my. I dont want to hear it.. New Kid in Town

Youre' not like your Brothers, Your not like the others, Your not quite like anyone else Teenage Jail

Well My time went so quckly, it went likety splitly.. Ol 55

And so on :)

sodascouts
09-17-2014, 04:53 PM
Welcome OTB74!

OntheBorder74
09-18-2014, 07:36 PM
Thanks Soda glad to be here, love Glenn Frey, my favourite eagles and favourite singer and happy theres a place for my Frey fixation :)

VAisForEagleLovers
09-19-2014, 09:21 AM
Welcome OTB74 from a fellow Frey fan! I love the Eagles, and Glenn is definitely my favorite. I love his voice, it touches a place in me that makes my world a better place while listening.

UndertheWire
09-20-2014, 11:04 AM
Welcome OTB.

I was won over to the Frey side by LROOE and followed up by buying all the solo stuff. I like his voice best in the early 90s recordings - it has an appealing huskiness. I also love some of the sweeter notes on After Hours, such as the word "Now" in "Shadow of Your Smile" and the word "Funny" in "Here's to Life".

It does feel strange when peole seem to dismiss Glenn compared with Don Henley and I'm wondering why I feel differently. Especially as Don's was the voice I loved in early Eagles material.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-20-2014, 11:14 AM
It does feel strange when peole seem to dismiss Glenn compared with Don Henley and I'm wondering why I feel differently. Especially as Don's was the voice I loved in early Eagles material.

I've wondered the same! There's times a song by Don comes on and I just listen and think, 'Wow, what an incredible voice.' Then I hear a song by Glenn and I can't really describe it. I can't describe why I feel like I'm experiencing a piece of heaven when I sniff a bouquet of lilacs, and not a bouquet of lavender. I can't describe why I prefer the ocean over the mountains. Don has an amazing voice and I could listen to it all day. However, I'd rather hear Glenn's. Of course, when I can hear both at the same time I'm a happy, happy person!

GlennLover
09-20-2014, 11:25 AM
I don't know why I prefer Glenn's voice either. When I first heard their songs on the radio in the 70's the songs Glenn sang were usually my favourites even though I loved all of their songs.

sodascouts
09-20-2014, 03:14 PM
Same here. I've told this story elsewhere, but I was drawn to Glenn simply by listening to The Very Best of the Eagles and discovering that I enjoyed his leads better. I'd bought that album after seeing Don and Stevie perform together in Chicago in 2005, so I actually came in preferring Don and switched over! That's not to diss the other guys, but Glenn's voice made me feel more deeply than the others, it's as simple as that.

Thus, my Glenn fandom only kicked into gear less than 10 years ago. Hopefully, I've made up for lost time, though. ;)

DJ
09-20-2014, 05:50 PM
Even though Randy was my favorite singer, I prefer Glenn over Don most of the time. Glenn seems to be able to sing just about anything, not high octives but everything else. Don seems like he really strains his voice at times and his low octive doesn't go low enough. Although I do enjoy Don's voice, Glenn's vocal range is better, in my opinion.

Freypower
09-20-2014, 06:33 PM
I've wondered the same! There's times a song by Don comes on and I just listen and think, 'Wow, what an incredible voice.' Then I hear a song by Glenn and I can't really describe it. I can't describe why I feel like I'm experiencing a piece of heaven when I sniff a bouquet of lilacs, and not a bouquet of lavender. I can't describe why I prefer the ocean over the mountains. Don has an amazing voice and I could listen to it all day. However, I'd rather hear Glenn's. Of course, when I can hear both at the same time I'm a happy, happy person!

That's a nice way of putting it; ocean rather than mountain, or as I call it Velvet Throat over Golden Throat. Also I concur with Soda's statement about Glenn's voice making you feel more deeply. The first time I heard NKIT in a public place the intimacy of it just blew me away & I never got over it.

People know how I love the After Hours songs. I was listening to Route 66 last night. He sounds so relaxed, so loose there. His phrasing & diction are perfect.

UndertheWire
09-21-2014, 09:06 PM
I found this in a review (http://pamplinmedia.com/msp/130-opinion/232177-96548-reliving-history-a-night-with-the-eagles) of the Portland show:

Frey’s voice is not one of those classic, amazing voices, certainly not appreciated by all rock critics. To me, though, it’s like the sound of your best friend calling from across the street, urging you to hang out and go find some fun. Who doesn’t love the sound of their best friend calling?

Freypower
09-21-2014, 09:28 PM
Well, no. I'm sorry, but he's better than that. That is a classic example of damning with faint praise. 'Oh, he doesn't leave you awestuck with the power of his voice the way Henley does. He's just your buddy looking for a party'.

Glenn's voice has always been overlooked by the critics; that is absolutely correct. And perhaps because his delivery isn't melodramatic & (when singing with the Eagles) he doesn't call that much attention to himself, perhaps the quality of the actual voice is easy to miss. But it's there, for heaven's sake, in NKIT & Lyin' Eyes & Tequila Sunrise. It's there. It's also there in the occasional uptempo song he sings with the Eagles.

How I wish some of the people who dismiss his voice so cavalierly would either listen to After Hours or had seen the After Hours tour.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-21-2014, 10:36 PM
On the other hand, I can see what the reviewer was saying, because that sort of thing is what the Eagles were going for. They seem to always want to be like the fans, for the most part. They wanted their success to be about the songs themselves. Given that, saying that a voice is like the sound of a friend isn't a bad thing. Maybe because it's somewhat the same for me, when I'm homesick or stressed out or sick, Glenn's voice is very comforting. When I'm having a really good day, his voice is what I want to hear.

sodascouts
09-21-2014, 10:38 PM
Glenn's voice has always been overlooked by the critics; that is absolutely correct. And perhaps because his delivery isn't melodramatic & (when singing with the Eagles) he doesn't call that much attention to himself, perhaps the quality of the actual voice is easy to miss. But it's there, for heaven's sake, in NKIT & Lyin' Eyes & Tequila Sunrise. It's there. It's also there in the occasional uptempo song he sings with the Eagles.

How I wish some of the people who dismiss his voice so cavalierly would either listen to After Hours or had seen the After Hours tour.

People who are dismissive of Glenn's voice have always mystified me. There's a reason why "Lyin' Eyes" and "Heartache Tonight" won freaking GRAMMYS for best pop/rock vocal. While the former is boosted by those great Eagles harmonies, Glenn pretty much carries the latter by himself.

UndertheWire
09-22-2014, 05:53 AM
I didn't see that as being dismissive of his voice. There are voices out there that grab attention because of their power or the extremes they are pushed to and they get the attention from critics and the general public. For me, Glenn has a voice that sneaks in without bringing a lot of attention to itself. It may be deliberate - I'm thinking of his comment about American Idol encouraging oversinging so I'm extrapolating that he sings in a way that he believes serves the song best rather than shows off his voice. He often sounds relaxed and warm and friendly, so the best friend analogy works for me.

AlreadyGone95
07-13-2015, 03:54 PM
I just discovered this thread last night while searching for the SOS thread.

I've loved Glenn's voice since before I knew who he was. I've been singing Already Gone since I was a kid (although I called it Victory Song as a kid because my mom thought that that was the name of the song). I found the song Outlaw Man as a 15 y/o surfing the web. I fell in love with it immediately. (I don't know I didn't look up the Eagles then for more info lol).

I love how diverse Glenn's voice is. The same guy that did Smuggler's Blues is the same guy who sang NKIT? It still amazes me! While I'm not a big After Hours fan(it's not my kind of music), I agree with the majority here that Glenn does some of his best singing on it. I can listen to Glenn's voice and not get tired of it. It's so beautiful and smooth, yet he can have that amazing growl.

My favorite Glenn singing moment is the deep growl "Smuggler's Blues" at the end of the song. It just does something to me.

The are others, but they would require more thought to explain why I like them.

Glennsallnighter
07-21-2015, 10:41 AM
Have you heard him take the lead on 'Somebody' AG?

AlreadyGone95
07-21-2015, 12:13 PM
Have you heard him take the lead on 'Somebody' AG?

Yes, I have. That song threw me for a minute. "Who's singing? It isn't Don, Joe, or Timothy. Is it really Glenn?". Halfway through the song, I realized that Glenn was the singer. The creepy voice took a few listens to get used to. Now, I love the song.

thebagels
05-17-2021, 07:04 PM
Maybe this is a bit of a controversial take, but I always thought Glenn patterned himself at least somewhat after Richie Furay. When I first heard "Pickin' Up the Pieces" and "Good Feeling to Know," I thought Glenn was singing for a few seconds.

This might be an even more controversial take, but I also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have hurt their sound if they had brought Richie in after Glenn's death instead of the new members.

FreyFollower
05-18-2021, 10:29 AM
Maybe this is a bit of a controversial take, but I always thought Glenn patterned himself at least somewhat after Richie Furay. When I first heard "Pickin' Up the Pieces" and "Good Feeling to Know," I thought Glenn was singing for a few seconds.

This might be an even more controversial take, but I also thought that the Eagles wouldn't have hurt their sound if they had brought Richie in after Glenn's death instead of the new members.
Well, I don't hear it myself. Glenn listened to everybody, but said he learned how to sing country from J.D Souther. I really like Richie Furay, but feel Glenn was a far superior singer.

If you look back at old threads, you will see a number of folks on this forum did not think that Glenn could or should be replaced. It was hotly debated at great length, and I don't think most people (IMO) care to see the discussion re-hashed. I'm not suggesting that you have bad intentions. But there were hurt feelings all around. Separate threads were even created for the differing views to avoid heated conflicts. Reading those could partly explain opinions held on the subject, and replacements suggested at the time. Presumably everyone here loves at least one incarnation of the group, so let's celebrate that.:nod:

KingWalsh
05-19-2021, 03:53 AM
Well said Freyfollower. If I may add my two cents on Glenn’s voice. What I love is how he never over sang . And can be so smooth (Get you in the mood) yet rock all in one. His voice sounds so effortless, natural. Beautiful. Hard to pick a favorite of course.

FreyFollower
05-19-2021, 08:48 AM
KW: So true!

thebagels: A similar, far less loaded query might be..."If you could make up an Eagles tribute band from soloists or members of other bands from any era, who would you pick for each part, and why?" Don't know if this has been discussed, but covers similar territory, and includes all members.

chaim
06-22-2021, 03:17 AM
Well said Freyfollower. If I may add my two cents on Glenn’s voice. What I love is how he never over sang . And can be so smooth (Get you in the mood) yet rock all in one. His voice sounds so effortless, natural. Beautiful. Hard to pick a favorite of course.

A great point. That he never oversang. I hate oversinging; especially when people do covers and oversing to make them "their own".

FreyFollower
06-22-2021, 11:06 AM
I agree, Chaim and King Walsh. I remember Glenn saying that he thought that the American Idol type shows promoted over- singing.
It always bothers me when people think that when they hold a note a lot longer or sing a song more forcefully than the original artist on record did, that makes them the "better" singer. All songs do not call for drama, and the sentiment is sometimes lost in their "interpretation".

06-22-2021, 01:15 PM
KW: So true!

thebagels: A similar, far less loaded query might be..."If you could make up an Eagles tribute band from soloists or members of other bands from any era, who would you pick for each part, and why?" Don't know if this has been discussed, but covers similar territory, and includes all members.

FF - This is an interesting question that I don't recall being discussed before here. I'll have to give this some thought. If enough people want to weigh in on this, we can create a new thread in the Eagles forum.

I agree with everyone re: Glenn not over-singing. He had such a versatile unique style and tone. I always thought his voice has such 'personality', which is probably the reason he is my favorite singer of all time.

MarthaJo56
06-22-2021, 04:22 PM
FF - This is an interesting question that I don't recall being discussed before here. I'll have to give this some thought. If enough people want to weigh in on this, we can create a new thread in the Eagles forum.

I agree with everyone re: Glenn not over-singing. He had such a versatile unique style and tone. I always thought his voice has such 'personality', which is probably the reason he is my favorite singer of all time.

Dreamer--I think it would be a great thread. Besides the songs & Glenn's good looks, the one thing that attracted me to the Eagles when I was a teenager was Glenn's voice. It just melts my butter!!!

thebagels- Not to be snarky & catty, but I don't think Richie Furay would have worked out in the band. I know him well, and although he is a nice guy & very talented, and I love him dearly, he is not easy to work with. He & Don Henley would have butted heads more times than you can imagine. There's a reason his bands never succeeded to the level of the Eagles, CSN, or even Poco.

KingWalsh
06-23-2021, 04:08 AM
I agree, Chaim and King Walsh. I remember Glenn saying that he thought that the American Idol type shows promoted over- singing.
It always bothers me when people think that when they hold a note a lot longer or sing a song more forcefully than the original artist on record did, that makes them the "better" singer. All songs do not call for drama, and the sentiment is sometimes lost in their "interpretation".

So right again FF and chaim. It’s irritating when people are carrying on and doing these vocal aerobatics that are unending. It’s so Unnecessary and definitely takes away from the song in most circumstances, in my opinion.

06-23-2021, 10:30 AM
Dreamer--I think it would be a great thread. Besides the songs & Glenn's good looks, the one thing that attracted me to the Eagles when I was a teenager was Glenn's voice. It just melts my butter!!

We can start a new thread. FF - since it was your idea, do you want to start it or would like for me to do it?

FreyFollower
06-23-2021, 10:43 AM
Go for it! It would take me 20 min to figure it out!:hilarious:

06-23-2021, 10:46 AM
Will do!