PDA

View Full Version : Which of Don's solo albums/songs would you recommend listening to first?

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 09:02 AM
I only know a few of Don's biggest solo hits, I know he has 4 solo albums (correct?) and I want to get a feel for how some of his stuff sounds other than the hits the radio plays. With Eagles songs I tend to go for the ones that sound unconventional, like deep tracks. Does Don have anything like that? I love Boys of Summer but that's pretty much all I like of his popular songs. I thought i'd ask what Don fans love the most!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-08-2013, 09:14 AM
I'm a big fan of the entire End of The Innocence album, but if it were me, I'd start listening in the order he made them. Just because that's the way I am!!

timfan
04-08-2013, 09:15 AM
Well if you're looking for a variety of Don's songs IMO I would firstly recommend The Very Best of Don Henley.

TimothyBFan
04-08-2013, 09:20 AM
In my opinion, there isn't a bad Don Henley album, with the exception of the one he can't seem to get released, and that's only because it's a COUNTRY album.:hilarious: Just kidding! (:nope:) I agree with TF tho, I would start with the Best Of and then start at the beginning of the solo albums. My fave is either End Of The Innocence or Building The Perfect Beast.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
I'm a big fan of the entire End of The Innocence album, but if it were me, I'd start listening in the order he made them. Just because that's the way I am!!

I usually do this too, but i'm really short on time since I work 85 hours a week. I guess I could start now and probably get through them all by the end of the month LOL

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 10:11 AM
Well if you're looking for a variety of Don's songs IMO I would firstly recommend The Very Best of Don Henley.

I was unaware he had a best of! Thanks, i'll check it out!

Ive always been a dreamer
04-08-2013, 11:56 AM
Yep - He has a "Best of" and "Actual Miles" which are both greatest hits albums. That's where I always like to start, but these are the hits, not the deep tracks. My personal favorite albums in order of preference are: 1) The End of the Innocence; 2) I Can't Stand Still; 3) Building the Perfect Beast, and 4) Inside Job.

Just a side note - we have celebration threads for almost all of the Eagles and solo albums in their respective forums if you want to read some Borderers' opinions of various songs and albums. However, it does take a little time to go through them. You just have to take it slow - one song on one album at a time. :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
04-08-2013, 02:33 PM
Outside of the Greatest Hits, my favorite is his first album.

Freypower
04-08-2013, 05:21 PM
Start with The End Of The Innocence.

After that in order my preferences are I Can't Stand Still, Inside Job & Building The Perfect Beast.

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-08-2013, 07:47 PM
Yep - He has a "Best of" and "Actual Miles" which are both greatest hits albums. That's where I always like to start, but these are the hits, not the deep tracks. My personal favorite albums in order of preference are: 1) The End of the Innocence; 2) I Can't Stand Still; 3) Building the Perfect Beast, and 4) Inside Job.

Just a side note - we have celebration threads for almost all of the Eagles and solo albums in their respective forums if you want to read some Borderers' opinions of various songs and albums. However, it does take a little time to go through them. You just have to take it slow - one song on one album at a time. :thumbsup:

Yeah I know about those threads, I'm just very limited on time because I work 85 hours a week and it would take me a week to get through just one thread like that! I did have time to listen to a few songs from Don's Best Of album this morning, I'll keep on keepin' on! lol

VAisForEagleLovers
04-08-2013, 07:50 PM
Well, posting here didn't work because you got a different answer from almost everyone!!! That always happens...

AstraeaLunaAvani
04-09-2013, 08:39 AM
Well, posting here didn't work because you got a different answer from almost everyone!!! That always happens...

LOL That's alright though, it's good to get different opinions for anything! I am starting with the greatest hits then i'll go back and start from the first one, it will take me a month probably but I don't like to miss out on anything when I like a band this much. I'll probably do the same with Glenn's stuff too. It will probably be 2014 by the time I get through all the members' solo stuff! lol

Windeagle
04-09-2013, 01:58 PM
Outside of the Greatest Hits, my favorite is his first album.

I'm with HD here. My favorite non-hits off I Can't Stand Still are "Talking to the Moon" and "Lilah", with "You Better Hang Up" for something up-tempo. In fact, there isn't much I DON'T like on this album.

BTPB doesn't have much that wasn't a hit, though if I had to choose, it would be "Drivin' With Your Eyes Closed" (up-tempo) or "A Month of Sundays" (ballad).

That should get you started anyway.

EaglesKiwi
04-09-2013, 03:05 PM
I really like all Don's solo stuff, and each album has great tracks that aren't on the Best Of... you might not get through it in a hurry, but you're going to love it!!