PDA

View Full Version : Barclays Center (opening for Bob Seger) 4/16/2013

VAisForEagleLovers
04-16-2013, 08:23 PM
OMG!!! Joe was AMAZING!!!! Awaiting Bob now..

GlennLover
04-16-2013, 10:20 PM
So excited for you! Would love to see both Joe & Bob!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-17-2013, 09:00 AM
IMO, very few artists could follow Joe Walsh and out do him. Bob is one of those artists. Incredible concert.

Don't have time to say much about it, hopefully later, but thought I'd add these pics.

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/Seger%20concert%204_16/DSC00625_zpsf03ca302.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/Seger%20concert%204_16/DSC00627_zps81717670.jpg

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/misc/Seger%20concert%204_16/DSC00664_zps1bc55783.jpg

TimothyBFan
04-17-2013, 09:03 AM
I am sooooo glad you enjoyed it!!! Love the pictures!!! :thumbsup: Rest up and come back and tell us all about it.

Glennsallnighter
04-17-2013, 09:06 AM
Delighted that you had such a good time! Great pictures too. Can't wait to hear more!!

NYC Fan
04-17-2013, 09:36 AM
Great pictures VA! Thanks for posting :)

I went to the show last night. Convinced a friend that they needed to see Bob and picked up some fantastic low side seats, right by the stage. Thanks to all for talking about stubhub. I've sold tickets for face there in the past, but since I don't believe in scalping, I rarely look there to buy, as they are usually over face. But there they were, and it all worked out really well.

Joe came on right at 7:30 and was fantastic. Started out strong with In the City. People were coming in at that point, but there were clearly a lot of people who really wanted to see him too. He had the crowd right away. He also played a beautiful version of I Shall Be Released and dedicated it to Boston. His backup singers sang most of it, but he sang some harmony and played beautiful guitar.

Rocking versions of Rocky Mountain Way, Funk #49 (I LOVE that song), Life's Been Good and Life in the Fast Lane followed. Great, but short, set. Made me want to go see him in concert. I've only ever seen Joe play with the Eagles, so it was a treat to see him with his own band. I would definitely see him solo. He kills me on guitar. So amazing.

Bob was next, and he was just fabulous. He looks like he's in better shape than in the past, and his voice was in really good form. I was a bit surprised, as I thought a few years ago that it sounded a bit off. Time has mellowed his voice, but he still sounds great. He played most of the hits I wanted to hear (no Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, which would have been nice), and some new songs too. He played a song called California Stars, which is off the Wilco/Billy Bragg Mermaid Avenue album. I always loved that song from that album, and he did a lovely version with nice horns. Of course a lot of that song was lost on the talking, texting, beer running audience. Oh well, their loss.

A highlight for me was the Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser duo. I have always loved that from the Live Bullet album and it was just beautiful. Again, his voice sounded so good on these two. And of course Turn the Page, with the Alto Reed sax solos was stunning.

Hi finished out with a bunch of his big hits. Katmandu, Against the Wind, which was also beautiful, Night Moves, Rock and Roll Never Forgets, etc.

If any of you get a chance to see him on this tour, I'd say GO! I haven't seen Bob since the 80's because I somehow thought he wouldn't be as good anymore, but I was wrong. He still has it, and an incredible band to back him up. I loved, loved, loved the Memphis horn sound on some of the songs.

What a fun evening.

Brooke
04-17-2013, 09:53 AM
VA, awesome pictures! Thanks so much! Can't wait to hear your thoughts also!

NYCF, awesome review! I'm so glad you got to go and see both of these legends! Sounds wonderful!

Topkat
04-17-2013, 02:56 PM
Sounds like it was a great show! Knew it would be
Thanks for the greats photos, VA

Henley Honey
04-17-2013, 05:08 PM
Just put VA on a LONG, LONG train ride home -- poor thing. With the events in Boston I think heightened security was a big bummer, but very necessary and certainly understandable.

I think NYC Fan captured the vibe and her review was spot on. I don't know if she saw this, but at one point when Bob was on stage changing guitars, it wasn't his regular guitar tech carrying the new guitar -- it was Joe.
Bob didn't really catch it at the time. He just kind of accepted the passing and strapping on of the new guitar. Everyone around him was laughing and he didn't really get it at first. Joe whispered something in his ear and Bob turned and busted out laughing. It was a really cute moment.

Joe and his band were phenomenal and fun fun fun. I loved the shout out he gave to Boston. It kind of set the tone for everyone to try and enjoy themselves in the midst of the sadness.

Bob Seger -- fabulous. His band and backup singers -- Extraordinary!!!
In addition to Bob's ability to "bring it" every single time, he's got a fluid and fun group. Everywhere you look on the stage there's something going on. If Bob is way off to the side pulling in the crowd from a different angle, he's got his band MORE than filling the void.

I can't say enough. I loved, loved, loved it. You Rock Bob (and Joe)!!!!

Of all his songs (and I love them all) I still get chills -- every single time -- when I hear . . . . On a long lonesome highway, East of Omaha . . . . . .

Outlawman13
04-17-2013, 05:44 PM
Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! Amazing reviews from you ladies!!!!!! So glad that you guys had so much fun over there!!!!! Thank you so very much for the pictures VA.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-17-2013, 06:06 PM
nycfan thanks for the reveiw

va thanks for the pictures.. Love the first one of Jw. he looks so healthy and happy. yeah joe

NYC Fan
04-17-2013, 10:34 PM
I don't know if she saw this, but at one point when Bob was on stage changing guitars, it wasn't his regular guitar tech carrying the new guitar -- it was Joe.
Bob didn't really catch it at the time. He just kind of accepted the passing and strapping on of the new guitar. Everyone around him was laughing and he didn't really get it at first. Joe whispered something in his ear and Bob turned and busted out laughing. It was a really cute moment.

Of all his songs (and I love them all) I still get chills -- every single time -- when I hear . . . . On a long lonesome highway, East of Omaha . . . . . .

HH

I completely missed that! If it was between songs, I was probably yapping away. What a funny moment :)

Totally agree about chills with Turn the Page. The sax intro and then the song starting gives me chills too. I loved the show. So much energy in the room and such great music.

I really liked the Barclays Center as well. It's a very nice arena. And only about 20 minutes over on the subway from where I get on at 23rd St. If the Eagles play the NYC area, I'd much rather they play there than Newark. Of course, the Garden works best, but Barclays would be good too.

Glad you both had a great time! Really glad I got to go and see both Joe and Bob. How great is that?

Prettymaid
04-17-2013, 11:07 PM
Thanks ladies for the review. So glad to hear you all had a good time. VA, have you recuperated yet?

TimothyBFan
04-18-2013, 07:00 AM
I think NYC Fan captured the vibe and her review was spot on. I don't know if she saw this, but at one point when Bob was on stage changing guitars, it wasn't his regular guitar tech carrying the new guitar -- it was Joe.

:hilarious: Love it!!! Those are the kind of things I get such a kick out of with Joe. He's so talented and knows his work but he just loves to have fun too!! Wonderful!

Brooke
04-18-2013, 10:10 AM
HH, it sounds just awesome! And it makes me remember my show a couple years ago (without Joe though). He's fabulous! :thumbsup:

Brooklyn Roads
02-25-2014, 04:53 PM
I was at this concert last year. It was a great concert. Extremely difficult to find parking (we finally took our car to an underground parking garage and forked over $20) and a bit of a walk (it was our first time ever to New York City and to the great borough of Brooklyn - hence my name!), but it was well worth it to see such a great opening act in Joe Walsh and of course, Bob Seger, one of those concerts you always have wanted to see, but just have never caught them. We knew we'd be in town at the same time, so we went for it! Got great seats, too. I will have to find some pics from my phone to upload. Let's say this trip was fairly costly! lol

Barclays Center is brand new, too, so it was a very cool venue to check out!

Brooklyn Roads
02-25-2014, 05:02 PM
Great pictures VA! Thanks for posting :)

I went to the show last night. Convinced a friend that they needed to see Bob and picked up some fantastic low side seats, right by the stage. Thanks to all for talking about stubhub. I've sold tickets for face there in the past, but since I don't believe in scalping, I rarely look there to buy, as they are usually over face. But there they were, and it all worked out really well.

Joe came on right at 7:30 and was fantastic. Started out strong with In the City. People were coming in at that point, but there were clearly a lot of people who really wanted to see him too. He had the crowd right away. He also played a beautiful version of I Shall Be Released and dedicated it to Boston. His backup singers sang most of it, but he sang some harmony and played beautiful guitar.

Rocking versions of Rocky Mountain Way, Funk #49 (I LOVE that song), Life's Been Good and Life in the Fast Lane followed. Great, but short, set. Made me want to go see him in concert. I've only ever seen Joe play with the Eagles, so it was a treat to see him with his own band. I would definitely see him solo. He kills me on guitar. So amazing.

Bob was next, and he was just fabulous. He looks like he's in better shape than in the past, and his voice was in really good form. I was a bit surprised, as I thought a few years ago that it sounded a bit off. Time has mellowed his voice, but he still sounds great. He played most of the hits I wanted to hear (no Ramblin' Gamblin' Man, which would have been nice), and some new songs too. He played a song called California Stars, which is off the Wilco/Billy Bragg Mermaid Avenue album. I always loved that song from that album, and he did a lovely version with nice horns. Of course a lot of that song was lost on the talking, texting, beer running audience. Oh well, their loss.

A highlight for me was the Travelin' Man/Beautiful Loser duo. I have always loved that from the Live Bullet album and it was just beautiful. Again, his voice sounded so good on these two. And of course Turn the Page, with the Alto Reed sax solos was stunning.

Hi finished out with a bunch of his big hits. Katmandu, Against the Wind, which was also beautiful, Night Moves, Rock and Roll Never Forgets, etc.

If any of you get a chance to see him on this tour, I'd say GO! I haven't seen Bob since the 80's because I somehow thought he wouldn't be as good anymore, but I was wrong. He still has it, and an incredible band to back him up. I loved, loved, loved the Memphis horn sound on some of the songs.

What a fun evening.

Thanks for this great review!! It brought back some good memories from that night.

What's so funny is we met with my boyfriend's cousins (who live in inner Long Island) a few days prior and we found out her cousin's husband was going to be at the same concert!! Such a small world!

Thanks again for reviewing and bringing back some vivid memories for us!

zeldabjr
02-25-2014, 10:27 PM
I got to see Joe with Bob last April too...it was an awesome show!!