PDA

View Full Version : Storm Thorgerson

tjrrockandrollmaster
04-19-2013, 02:51 AM
It is with a very heavy heart that we bring you the sad news that Storm Thorgerson, a key part of Pink Floyd for most of their career (plus designed albums for Peter Gabriel, Genesis, Led Zeppelin, Alan Parsons), passed away Thursday, April 18th). His family said that "his ending was peaceful and he was surrounded by family and friends. He had been ill for some time with cancer though he had made a remarkable recovery from his stroke in 2003. He was in his 70th year."
He is survived by his mother Vanji, his son Bill, his wife Barbie Antonis and her two children Adam and Georgia. Our thoughts, prayers and condolences are with them and with his many friends across the world. From a personal perspective, in more recent years we had moved from being mere acquaintances, to friends, and I will really miss his wit, his kindness, his insight and his searching mind.
David Gilmour has made the following statement:
"We first met in our early teens. We would gather at Sheep's Green, a spot by the river in Cambridge and Storm would always be there holding forth, making the most noise, bursting with ideas and enthusiasm. Nothing has ever really changed.
"He has been a constant force in my life, both at work and in private, a shoulder to cry on and a great friend.
"The artworks that he created for Pink Floyd from 1968 to the present day have been an inseparable part of our work.
"I will miss him."

Troubadour
04-19-2013, 03:02 PM
Yes, I was sad to read this yesterday. Storm's work was awesome and he always seemed like a great character. RIP, Storm.

tjrrockandrollmaster
04-19-2013, 04:23 PM
A statement from Nick Mason on Storm Thorgerson's passing :

"Scourge of management, record companies and album sleeve printers; champion of bands, music, great ideas and high, sometimes infuriatingly high, standards.

"Defender of art over commerce at all times, and tireless worker right up to the end. Two days before he passed away, and by then completely exhausted he was still demanding approval for art work and haranguing his loyal assistants.

"Dear friend to all of us, our children, our wives (and the exes). Endlessly intellectual and questioning. Breathtakingly late for appointments and meetings, but once there invaluable for his ideas, humour, and friendship.

"Irreplaceable and unforgettable, but leaving a wonderful legacy of ideas, film, writings and art work, Hipgnosis and Storm have contributed to so many musicians to engineer sums immeasurably greater than their parts."

No statement from Roger Waters (Storm and Roger fell out over the Animals sleeve).

sodascouts
04-19-2013, 11:52 PM
R.I.P. :(