PDA

View Full Version : Don's women

Houston Debutante
04-23-2013, 10:35 PM
This came up in chat. Just for curiousity's sake... who did Don date and when?

sodascouts
04-24-2013, 01:47 PM
This list isn't comprehensive, but here's a few... and I'm not counting the Connie Hamzy types! lol

Confirmed:
Suzannah Martin - 1973
Loree Rodkin - 1974
Lorelei Shellist c. 1974-1975
Georganne LaPiere c. 1976
Stevie Nicks (off and on) - c. 1976-1978
Lois Chiles - c. 1978-1981
Maren Jensen (engaged at one point) - c. 1982-1986
Donna Rice (briefly) - 1986
Dana Delaney (briefly) - 1987
[gap - anyone have info from this time? perhaps he was playing the field]
Eleanor Mondale (briefly) - 1990
Sharon Summerall (wife) c. 1991-present; m. 1995

Cathy Lee Crosby - unknown (probably during the mid-70s)
Janet Cross - unknown (probably during the late 80s)
Signy Coleman - unknown (probably during the late 80s)

Rumored:
Patty Smyth - c. 1991

Denied:
Nancy and Ann Wilson
Michelle Pfeiffer
Sheryl Crow

Did I forget anybody? His first daughter was born in 1975 so her mom was in there (presumably) after Lorelei, but I don't know her name or how serious they were.

ETA: I'm editing this master-list to include additional information as we go.

GlennLover
04-24-2013, 03:20 PM
He dated Dana Delaney as well, but I don't know the dates.

Tiffanny Twisted
04-24-2013, 05:40 PM
very intresting

Houston Debutante
04-25-2013, 04:06 PM
Thanks for the information. I guess Dana was probably in the nineties?

RebeccaLovesEagles
04-25-2013, 05:56 PM
I'll add to Nancy's list
Confirmed:
Suzannah Martin 1973 actress
Loree Rodkin 1974 very intelligent interior designer
Lorelei Shellist c. 1974-1975
Stevie Nicks (off and on) - c. 1976-1978
Louis Chiles - c. 1978-1981
Maren Jensen (engaged at one point) - c. 1982-1986
Donna Rice (just a few dates) - 1986
[big gap - anyone know who he with at this point? or was he living the single life?]
Sharon Summerall (wife) c. 1994-present

Houston Debutante
04-26-2013, 10:54 AM
Thanks, I'm learning more and more.

sodascouts
04-26-2013, 05:34 PM
I'll edit my list to add in the new info. I imagine Dana was probably around her China Beach era (1988-1991) or shortly thereafter. A quick search didn't bring up dates, but one fansite characterized it as "brief."

To The Limit also links him with Cathy Lee Crosby. I imagine that was during the 70s; she was with somebody else in the early 80s, and she kind of faded away after That's Incredible went off the air in 1984.... off Don's radar by then, I imagine.

GlennLover
04-26-2013, 05:44 PM
I couldn't find anything about the timeframe either.

sodascouts
04-27-2013, 03:34 PM
Just found confirmation in an old issue of People of a "brief fling" with Eleanor Mondale in the fall of 1990.

sodascouts
04-27-2013, 03:41 PM
.... and another old issue of People magazine gives us a date for Dana: 1987.

Ive always been a dreamer
04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
I'm thinking that Don started dating Sharon earlier than 1994. I'm not sure when they met, but I thought I remembered reading several comments referring to "Don and longtime girlfriend, Sharon Sumerall ...".

I also wanted to ask about Don and Trisha Yearwood - were they rumored to be dating at one time or is my mind playing Jedi tricks on me again?

VAisForEagleLovers
04-27-2013, 09:57 PM
I also wanted to ask about Don and Trisha Yearwood - were they rumored to be dating at one time or is my mind playing Jedi tricks on me again?

I had wondered the same thing, but when Garth Brooks divorced his wife, it came out that he and Trisha had been seeing each other since before she had her first hit. Of course, who knows how true that was?

sodascouts
04-28-2013, 12:40 AM
I've never read anything about him hooking up with Trisha Yearwood. Of course, I could have just missed it.

Houston Debutante
04-29-2013, 05:18 PM
Loving all this info. I saw the photo of Don and Stevie in the other thread. Do we have any other photos?

sodascouts
05-06-2013, 02:54 PM
We do but sometimes the ladies are hard to identify. It does take a bit of fishing.

sodascouts
05-08-2013, 10:41 PM
I was just now watching The Great Gatsby (1974 version) on Netflix and was surprised to see Lois Chiles playing Jordan, Nick's love interest! It reminded me of this thread. Here's a photo of her from around the time she dated Don - just imagine Long Run era Don with his arm around her! lol

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/vlcsnap-2012-11-03-16h30m32s136.png

Houston Debutante
05-09-2013, 05:04 PM
She's very pretty ~ of course!

cbecrad
05-20-2013, 02:24 PM
I've never read anything about him hooking up with Trisha Yearwood. Of course, I could have just missed it.

I don't think he did, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did happen. I think she at least had the hots for him. I have a recording of a show she did called "By Request" or something and Don calls in and she's totally flirty and giddy with him.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 04:35 PM
I don't blame her!

Henley Honey
05-20-2013, 04:49 PM

I haven't either, but there has been some conjecture and misinformation posted and that bothers me. I have no personal or firsthand knowledge as to her character, but I do know:
She does volunteer work for Habitat for Humanity. I believe her last efforts were helping to build housing in Haiti. She could simply write a check, but she "walks the walk" and does the physical/manual labor.
For the past 10 years or so, she has walked in the 3-day, 60 mile, Avon Walk for breast cancer. Again -- she could simply write a check.
She has performed at the Joanne Woodward/Paul Newman benefit to raise funds for their "Hole In The Wall Gang" camp for kids with cancer.
By all accounts she is a loving "bonus" mom to Garth's 3 daughters from his prior marriage and has put her successful career on hold to stay in Oklahoma and help raise them until the youngest enters college.

I don't understand how people can paint someone with a black brushstroke without any personal knowledge of their character. To voice hurtful and damaging unfounded opinions that have no basis in fact is unacceptable. JMHO.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 04:59 PM
I don't understand how people can paint someone with a black brushstroke without any personal knowledge of their character. To voice hurtful and damaging unfounded opinions that have no basis in fact is unacceptable. JMHO.

Are you bothered that some have speculated that she hooked up with Don Henley in 1991/1992 when they were both officially unattached and single? What's so awful about that? You're right that there's no evidence for it, but even if it were true, it would hardly be considered "damaging" to her character unless one expected her to stay chaste until she remarried.

It is lovely that she's so generous with her time and is such a good mom. :)

Henley Honey
05-20-2013, 07:20 PM
In your first post, Soda, you list him as being with Sharon from 1991 - present. If that's true then he wasn't "unattached" in the time frame that is being discussed. Let's say he and Trisha never hooked up and have a platonic personal and business relationship. The posts that intimate otherwise with no basis in fact are IMO damaging to her character.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 07:26 PM
It's called dating!

Henley Honey
05-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Yes. If it's true. If it's not true then it's rumor and conjecture and IMO damaging.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 07:38 PM
OK, HH, we'll have to agree to disagree that a rumor that Trisha dated Don Henley while he was dating another women is "damaging" to her reputation. I appreciate that you are just trying to protect her and that our perceptions of what constitutes scandalous behavior in this instance are simply different (which I find quite ironic, lol). That's cool. I realize that your intentions are very sweet and come from a kind heart.

In that spirit, I reiterate for the record that I know of no proof that Trisha Yearwood dated Don Henley.

cbecrad
05-20-2013, 08:45 PM
Gosh I hope I didn't start anything. I was simply saying she sounded flirty. I have no proof whatsoever that anything else happened. Plus I'm talking about a show she did around the mid to late 90s which of course would be after Don was married. Speaking for myself, I know that if there is a man I find attractive and especially admire, regardless of either of our marital status, it's not unlikely that I would playfully flirt. Nothing meant by it at all.
I love and admire Trisha for her talents and her humanity. So please don't take my comment to mean I think for sure they "hooked up." And even if they did, it would not change my opinion of either of them.

Houston Debutante
05-22-2013, 02:26 PM
You can be a good person and still make mistakes. Even if Trisha Yearwood slept with half the West Coast she would still be gold in my book for her generosity and caring. However in my mind getting with Don then would not be a mistake ~ it's not like he was married ~ but maybe I just have looser moral standards. ;)

So for the record if anyone wants to spread a rumor that I had an affair with Don in the early nineties feel free! :lol:

cbecrad
05-22-2013, 02:54 PM
So for the record if anyone wants to spread a rumor that I had an affair with Don in the early nineties feel free! :lol:

I knew it was you! LOL Tsk tsk you bad girl.

Houston Debutante
05-22-2013, 02:57 PM
Yeah you know it's not too far to Dallas. ;)

Tiffanny Twisted
05-22-2013, 07:33 PM
HB .....too funny .

DID anyone ever here of your 5 list???Maybe she or he were on each others lists...

AEW21
05-22-2013, 11:37 PM
Maren Jensen, huh? Small world--I just watched an 80s horror movie with her on Netflix Instant, "Deadly Messages," which would have been filmed during her "Don" era. Beautiful woman, but not much of an actress. ;)

Apparently they're still friends, though, and there's the off rumblings out there that he helped set up her cosmetics business...?

Houston Debutante
05-23-2013, 03:19 PM
Is it weird that I want to watch that movie just to see what his girlfriend looked like?

On second thought don't answer that. :lol:

AEW21
05-23-2013, 04:23 PM
...then I wouldn't want to steer you wrong--it's actually called "Deadly Blessings""--early Wes Craven film where she married into this evil Amish-like sect, then they go after her when her husband does. Sharon Stone plays her vapid friend who keeps getting attacked by spider webs--good times.

She was in Battlestar Galactica too, but I think she was let go from that. Like I said, she's was quite quite striking, but not a master of the craft of acting. ;) I think while they were dating she came down with Chronic Fatigue Synrome, and he nursed her back to health....

Maren, back in the day. I think they were dating when she made the Killer Amich movie....
http://greenobles.com/data_images/maren-jensen/maren-jensen-08.jpg

ETA: A Battlestar website has a snippet from a '91 interview he did with GQ (http://www.colonialfleets.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12487), where she was interviewed--that was 6 years after thy role up, so must still have been friendly:
Apparently her health collapse happened at same time as his incident with the 16-year-old at the house----

"The incident had a cruel corollary; it came as Henley’s girlfriend, Maren Jensen, was in Dallas filming a horror movie-and unbeknownst to her, was becoming one of the first people in Hollywood to suffer the debilitating effects of Epstein-Barr syndrome. “I was Patient Zero at the time,” recalls Jensen, who has since recovered. “It was a really tough period, in my life and in his as well. I was so young, and to have so many different things bombarding me all at once, it was overwhelming. But we hung in there; we had a lot of love for each other.

“I stood by her and she stood by me,” says Henley, who spent some months caring for the bedridden Jensen-but he admits that, given his own change-of-career worries, his behavior wasn’t exactly flawless. “I was freaked out, and while I was attentive and supportive, I didn’t exactly come home when I was supposed to, ‘cause I was traumatized. Kootch and I were just guzzling scotch and vodka; we’d record until three in the morning and then go to my house, sit up with bottles and tell each other how great we are, just to bolster our confidence. . . and poor Maren would get up at eight o’clock and here were these two drunken monsters: ‘Hi, bay-beh. . . whassss hap’nin’?’"

sodascouts
05-23-2013, 08:45 PM
Don talks about things in that GQ interview he never talks about elsewhere... the 1980 scandal, Stevie's abortion... did this reporter slip him some Sodium Pentathol (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sodium_thiopental#Truth_serum) in his drink?

Houston Debutante
05-24-2013, 04:45 PM
Hmm I need to read that!

Thanks for the information AEW.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-24-2013, 11:24 PM
Is it weird that I want to watch that movie just to see what his girlfriend looked like?

On second thought don't answer that. :lol:
no , the thought never entered my mind...lol

lestannons
08-16-2013, 04:15 PM
I know that in the GQ interview that Don did he did mention Stevie Nicks and the abortion that she had, but I read elsewhere that she was really upset that he had disclosed something so personal. It really 'hurt her' that Don could do that, her words. Not so subtle, Don.:eyebrow:

lestannons
08-16-2013, 04:20 PM
Does anybody know more about don's wife Sharon? All I know is that she was from Texas, a model, lived in Paris. They've were dating from 1992, engaged from late 1992-3, married 1995 20 May, and they have 3 children. And she has M.S. :)

sodascouts
08-16-2013, 11:16 PM
That's pretty much all I know about Sharon Henley, too. Actually I didn't know the Paris part.

Where did you get that Stevie quote from?

lestannons
08-25-2013, 03:24 PM
Hi there,

It was taken from an interview Stevie did with a magazine called 'VOX', where she talks about her decisions to have four abortions, her deepest regrets over that, the way she's been treated by, lovers, managers, record companies etc. But I also got it from a book written by Marc Eliot called 'To the Limit'. Page 129. I 've read the book its an UNOFFICIAL synopsis of 'The Eagles', from there humble beings to what they are now.
I'm stressing that its UNOFFICIAL because if you have the book you find at the end the author had difficulties getting it published, some of the Eagles, if you can read between the lines, there were areas that they didn't want exposed. Pardon the pun. It explores the not so nice attributes as well as the great that make 'The Eagles' .

lestannons
08-25-2013, 03:34 PM
I've just remembered that in Stevie own fan based website she mentions it there, how upset she was with Don having discussed something very personal to an a male magazine (GQ), and that having heard about it made Don aware that, that was something between them and not for public scrutiny, later she is quoted saying that Don rang her so many times to apologise for talking about it. :eyebrow:

sodascouts
08-25-2013, 03:45 PM
Marc Eliot never interviewed Stevie, as he himself admits. He quotes articles but as far as I know Stevie has never dissed Don in any way in an article, including the VOX one you were talking about (you can find that online here (http://bla.fleetwoodmac.net/index.php?page=index_v2&id=1181&c=11)). She does not criticize Don in any way there. Instead, she says regarding her abortions and the men involved, "It's always been a tragedy. But they understood." (She had more than one abortion - hence the plural.)

In Eliot's case, he says "Although Henley did not try to force the issue, according to friends, she was deeply upset about what she considered his fast and easy consent to her decision. Nicks took it as Henley's way of saying he wasn't interested in any type of serious long-term commitment." That refers to the abortion itself, not his revelation of it in an interview, and it's something Eliot got from talking to her friends rather than Stevie herself - ie, hearsay.

This isn't to say I think Eliot was making it up. Frankly, I believe that Stevie was probably hurt by Don. I also believe she probably felt betrayed by his revelation about the abortion, although she understood he didn't do it maliciously but rather carelessly. However, she has been very careful never to criticize him openly, so let's respect that and not put words into her mouth.

As far as I know, that VOX article is the only time she's ever spoken of the abortions, except for the one statement when she said she forgave Don for mentioning it in his article and opening this can of worms (before then, no fans knew Stevie had ever had an abortion, much less that one of the aborted babies was Don's). She has never blamed Don for the abortion either. She has always said she was too busy to have a child. However, when you listen to "Goodbye Baby" (don't take me to the tower and take my child away) or "Sara" (there's a heartbeat, and it never really died) or read this VOX interview, you know it was a lot more difficult than she let on... but she's never blamed Don.

However, you say she is quoted criticizing Don on a fansite, so maybe I just missed it. Could you link to it?

Houston Debutante
08-28-2013, 06:45 AM
In the end it was her choice, I don't see her blaming Don publicly so I don't believe what Eliot said ~ like you said he didn't even talk to her himself.

sodascouts
03-15-2014, 11:03 PM
Little piece of trivia: according to Noblemania (http://noblemania.blogspot.com/2013/07/the-girl-in-video-original-interviews.html), we can add Janet Cross and Signy Coleman to the list of women Don has dated.

Ive always been a dreamer
03-23-2014, 03:30 PM
There was a discussion in another thread recently regarding a screenshot in the HOTE documentary, which was shown as Glenn said that he and Don both tried to have relationships during the 70's, but the Eagles pretty much trumped everything. The lady in the screenshot is Cher's sister Georganne LaPiere. So, we can add her to this list as well. I'm pretty sure that this is her in the b&w photo too.

http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b296/kay8342/DonChersSister_zps8ad565d4.png (http://s21.photobucket.com/user/kay8342/media/DonChersSister_zps8ad565d4.png.html)

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v199/songbirdreleased/Eagles%20etc/3D2AD0B4-3B6E-4246-8398-F7819478F014_zpsh2catiqg.jpg (http://s.photobucket.com/user/songbirdreleased/media/Eagles%20etc/3D2AD0B4-3B6E-4246-8398-F7819478F014_zpsh2catiqg.jpg.html)