PDA

View Full Version : Strange Glenn mention in Carol Harris' Fleetwood Mac tellall

sodascouts
07-04-2007, 01:02 AM
I just got Carol Ann Harris' tell-all autobiography Storms: My Life with Lindsey Buckingham and Fleetwood Mac. She was Lindsey's girlfriend from 1977-1984. Nothing too shocking, but there was a Glenn mention that puzzled me.

It turns out that in 1980, Carol Ann was the model for the Long Run Songbook's depictions of "Disco Strangler" and "King of Hollywood." After she did the photo shoots, she had a conversation with the photographer (and her friend) Jim, as follows:

"Jim laughingly told me that one of Glenn Frey's friends had asked for my phone number from him -- and I gasped in horror. Glenn's band opened for a small part of the Rumours tour and one of his band members shadowed my every move on the road. And Lindsey was not pleased. It led to an apology from Glenn to me (even though it wasn't his fault) and I was more than relieved when the band's stint with the tour was over. With all that was happening in the unhappy world of Fleetwood Mac, all I needed was to start receiving phone calls from an obsessed male admirer. The very thought made my blood run cold." (p. 287)

Surely when she says "Glenn's band" was opening for Fleetwood Mac and that she was stalked by "one of his band members" she doesn't mean the Eagles... did Glenn do some kind of side solo touring with a backing band sometime between 1976-1978?

glenneaglesfan
07-04-2007, 03:20 AM
That is interesting, Soda. I noticed the dates and immediately thought "Glenn didn't have a band then". He has said before that his life was entirely taken up with the Eagles until the band split up. Did the Eagles open for Fleetwood Mac?

Glenn did open for Stevie at some point though, didn't he?

sodascouts
07-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Actually Fleetwood Mac opened for the Eagles a few times in 1976, pre-Carol Ann (one of these shows celebrated the bicentennial on July 4, 1976, 31 years ago today). Later, post-Rumours' enormous success, they co-headlined once in a while at concerts where a lot of bands played, like 1975's and 1977's Days on the Green.

Glenn opened for Fleetwood Mac for several shows in 1982. Joe Walsh is the one who opened for Stevie in 1983 for the entirety of her tour. Joe also released solo material while in the Eagles during the Rumours time period... perhaps she means him? However, I can find no record of him opening for them. In fact I don't even know if Joe toured solo to support that album, or if he were too busy with the Eagles to do so. The James Gang opened for Fleetwood Mac in the early 70s a few times (you can buy a live recording of a 1970 Boston concert where Walsh jams with Fleetwood Mac during an encore (http://www.amazon.com/Live-Boston-Vol-Fleetwood-Mac/dp/B000009Q3J)), but that was not only pre-Carol Ann, it was pre-Lindsey and Stevie.

Side note: I read this right before bed and last night dreamed Glenn toured in the mid-70s with a cover band that did 50s tunes. He was dressed like Elvis in the late 60s, hair, tacky suit, and all. I had a good laugh when I woke up!

Freypower
07-04-2007, 07:18 PM
Glenn was not a solo artist during the Rumours/Hotel California period. This is totally incorrect.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-05-2007, 09:27 AM
Yeah - This is quite an interesting comment from her. I would guess that there has to be some amount of truth to this and maybe she just has some of her facts or the timeline mixed up. It's possible that she could be lying about this, but it would be totally stupid of her to do so, IMHO.

Sure would be interesting to find out who she is talking about though. I think it seems strange that Glenn would apologize for Joe. If that's the case, I guess Joe must have been a really bad boy to necessitate an apology from Glenn. :D :D

janisjoplin
07-05-2007, 01:03 PM
I've seen a couple of paragraphs from this book and I'm dithering between buying it or ignoring it. I love biographies and autobiographies but I read some of them with a pinch of salt as some of the facts tend to be untrue or half truths.

Case in point - a couple of the biographies on the Eagles - one of them got the number of children Timothy has wrong - I believe it said 2 boys where in fact he has 2 daughters and 1 son.

I wonder what Carol Ann has to say about Stevie - and if it's complimentary.

I would have thought that Lindsey's lawyers would have been over the book like a rash for any defamation or libel. I doubt if he's a happy bunny right now :twisted:

Mrs Frey
07-06-2007, 06:53 AM
Side note: I read this right before bed and last night dreamed Glenn toured in the mid-70s with a cover band that did 50s tunes. He was dressed like Elvis in the late 60s, hair, tacky suit, and all. I had a good laugh when I woke up!

Soda, you can hold me completely responsible for this dream! Me and my Elvis/Glenn comparisons and all! :rofl: :wink:

As for the inaccuracies in Carol Ann Harris' autobiography, that would be nothing unusual. I have been so frustrated in the past, having read a lot of Elvis and Beatles material since before my teens, with the rubbish that is printed sometimes. I've often thought, "where do they come on this?" :roll:

At the very least, even though it's probably complete fantasy (and after recently having read the Eagles biography, "Flying High", it certainly seems to be), it casts Glenn :heart: in a positive light! :lol:

sodascouts
07-06-2007, 09:51 AM
I don't see why she would just make the whole thing up out of thin air. I'm imagine she's just confused about details - the wrong time, the wrong name, something like that. If it were indeed Glenn's band, then she'd have to have gotten the dates wrong, since he did open for the Mac for a short time - just in 1982, not 1977. Still, that's quite a difference.... oh well.

I found it an interesting read, jj, but it makes Lindsey out to look pretty psycho at times. The book has been shelved for years due to legal issues, but apparently in the UK you guys aren't as strict! They were the only ones who'd touch it.

Stevie doesn't get as much ink as you'd think. She comes off as jealous and petty in the beginning, aloof and hoity-toity many times, but sometimes sweet. Her relationship with Don gets one line about how she was "more than friends" with one Eagle.

However, no real mention is made of the fallout of Stevie and Lindsey's relationship and the effect it had on Carol Ann's relationship with Lindsey, other than the fact that the anger they had for each other made things tense in the studio. Lindsey has said that the breakup was extremely hard on him and that "the spectre of Stevie disabled all of my long term relationships" up to his current one. Carol Ann, however, states that he "Wasn't all that upset" and acts as if he never gave Stevie more than a sidelong glance during their relationship, other than of course the professional interactions he was forced to have with her. I find that hard to believe!

Lindsey has also blamed their breakup on Carol Ann's coke habit, but she insists she had no real problem with it and did no more than he did. Again, not sure if I totally believe that.

moonrambler
07-07-2007, 01:40 PM
I don't see why she would just make the whole thing up out of thin air. I'm imagine she's just confused about details - the wrong time, the wrong name, something like that. If it were indeed Glenn's band, then she'd have to have gotten the dates wrong, since he did open for the Mac for a short time - just in 1982, not 1977. Still, that's quite a difference.... oh well.
That's all I could figure is she got the dates wrong, and you're right, that's quite a difference -- quite a mistake! I figure she wouldn't say "Glenn's band" if she meant the Eagles -- she'd just say the Eagles -- and since this is supposedly a "tell-all," she'd go ahead and name which Eagle. This sounds like it would be a guy the readers wouldn't have heard much if anything about and so wouldn't be interested except for the Glenn mention.

janisjoplin
07-07-2007, 06:12 PM
I found it an interesting read, jj, but it makes Lindsey out to look pretty psycho at times. The book has been shelved for years due to legal issues, but apparently in the UK you guys aren't as strict! They were the only ones who'd touch it.

Thanks for the feedback SS - I think I will get it after all :)

It's funny what time does to memories and there's always more than one version of the true story. You'll have Carol Ann's version, Lindsey's version and different versions from people who were around them. Somewhere along the line lies the truth - but we'll never know for sure.

BTW, did you know that Stevie was more than just good friends with more than just the one Eagle :nod:

sodascouts
07-07-2007, 07:31 PM
BTW, did you know that Stevie was more than just good friends with more than just the one Eagle :nod:

Yep. And she had unofficial Eagle JD Souther to boot!

janisjoplin
07-07-2007, 08:03 PM

Yep. And she had unofficial Eagle JD Souther to boot!

Ages ago on a Stevie group we tried to name all her boyfriends for fun - quite a few..........not that there's any shame - double standards when it comes to men and women :eyebrow: :xoxo: