PDA

View Full Version : What do you do for a living?

Prettymaid
05-05-2013, 10:50 AM
Of course, you don't have to say, but so many people have referred to their jobs in other threads, I thought it might be interesting to read what you all do.

I'll start...

I'm a full-time bank teller. I've worked at the same bank for 13 years and have no desire to climb the company ladder. :hilarious: I want to do my job to the best of my ability and leave it there at the end of the day. I have 11 more years before I can retire.

Aside from the usual transactions that you think of when you think of a teller, I am also required to sell at my job, which I do not enjoy. It's my job to ask if you want to open a checking account, upsell you to a better checking account, get a free insurance quote, or have our brokerage department give you a call. Whew! I don't even like writing it!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2013, 11:08 AM
PM, wow! I'm not a 'people person', so I'd be lousy at your job, no doubt!

I started to type in my official title here and it occurs to me I don't even know what it is at the moment. I think it's Business Analyst / Subject Matter Expert. Up until about six months ago, I was responsible for both business analysis and software testing, but we hired more people and the testing got off loaded to a new person.

Unfortunately, I can't give a lot of details on what I do or who I do it for, but in general a business analyst sits with the customer and determines their needs and wants from a business perspective, then figures out how a software system can meet those needs. Works with the customer to determine the steps needed to get from point A to point B (usually requires several software releases) and then writes the business requirements. Once the customer signs off on those, more technical specifications are written, and the software developers write the code to those requirements, the testers write testcases to those requirements, and the customer writes their User Acceptance testcases to those requirements.

sad-cafe
05-05-2013, 11:46 AM
I am a teacher.

I teach at an Alternative Program Center. It is for kids that get kicked out of our very large district. Among the reasons kids can get kicked out vary from many incidents to drugs/trafficing and or weapons, violence or any number of reasons.

We are kind of their last chance and the rules are pretty strict. I have 12 different subject matters that could happen in my classroom in any given hour. My biggest class size is 9 but it is not "easy"

I love it!

Outlawman13
05-05-2013, 12:25 PM
I'm a server/maintance person for Texas One Stop gas station. It is a bbq/bakery/gas station. LOL I serve people bbq and sometimes the people can be so stuck up. LOL I'm not a people person so sometimes this job is the hardest for me. LOL. I work from Wednesday-Sunday and can't wait for my days off most of the time. Hard work dealing with people. LOL.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-05-2013, 01:39 PM
PM - I'm totally with you. My very first fulltime job was as a bank teller. I did not like the 'sales' part of the job either so I went into what my education and interest was and had the opportunity to become the Teller Trainer for the bank. That eventually morphed into becoming the Regional Teller Training Manager. As a result of a bank merger, that position was eliminated and I started developing and delivering merger and acquisition training for various operations departments in the bank.

I left the bank at the end of the century and switched gears a little. I joined a software development company as a technical writer. Technical writers basically worked with the programmers to design documentation for the products - everything from marketing materials, user guides, software specifications, online Help systems, etc. After a while, I was promoted to a technical writing editor, which meant that I edited documentation to make sure it was in compliance with technical writing standards. I also helped develop the technical writing corporate guidelines.

I decided to leave that position in 2006 and started working an independent consultant. It is basically working for different companies in contract positions on various special projects. I have used all of my past experience and have worked as a trainer, technical writer/editor, and am currently working as an instructional designer. That's just a fancy title for someone who designs training materials. But since most all of it is done on a pc these days, you have to know how to use tools to develop all of your course materials online i.e. CBTs, WBTs, online assessment courses, and Help systems, etc.

Whew! I tried to keep that as short as possible, but since I've been working quite a few years, it was hard to do. Anyway, the good side of being a consultant is that you are basically self-employed, I can do much of my work from home, and the pay is pretty decent. The downside is that you have to provide your own benefits, there is no paid time off, and that you have to seek employment again after each assignment is completed. However, from my experience, if you keep a good reputation, employment opportunities are not usually a problem.

Grey Sadler
05-05-2013, 02:14 PM
I'm a public high school Biology teacher...hand over the ibuprofen!! :D

Sad-Cafe--my old placement (9 years) was almost like yours, except it was a diploma options/independent study program (you work on your own out of "work packets" and then take tests), and it wasn't necessarily for disciplinary placements (attendance problems, pregnancy, etc.)...but after all that time (and several years working nights, I said ENOUGH, put me in a regular classroom please!!!! :sad:)

Glennhoney
05-05-2013, 03:21 PM
I have been a pharmacy technician for (yikes) 32 years now....the last 3 years as a tech for nursing homes only...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-05-2013, 04:23 PM
I neglected to say how I got to where I am. I went to technical school after high school after taking a year off and working. Working in the salad/cold foods dept of a ski resort and then as a file clerk at an insurance agency was great motivation to do well in school.

I went to school for Industrial Engineering and got hired by IBM here in VA. I worked in production control, basically ordered parts and organized kits to be delivered to manufacturing. I was doing a temporary assignment in Boulder, CO to do some training there when I was accepted in IBM's Programmer Training classes. They sent me to school full time while paying my salary (incredibly lucky to have that opportunity). Northern Virginia Community College followed by George Mason University. Once out, I worked as a programmer (Software Engineer).

In the HOTE movie, when they get to Bill Szymczyk's part, they show a picture of a control panel on a submarine. I wrote software for an upgraded version of that. I also wrote software for an anti-submarine warfare program.

IBM sold us in 1996 and I quit Lockheed Martin in 1998 and went on to software testing and business analysis at several commercial companies.

One very interesting part of my job at IBM was that part of the testing for the submarine software we had actual tapes of sounds from deep in the sea and could actually listen to blue whales and hear them 'talking' to each other.

Witchy Woman
05-05-2013, 09:03 PM
I sell computers at a major electronics store. I'm a personable individual, so it's nice to be able to meet people, and even better when you hit it off with them and they buy everything you sell them !!

Glennsallnighter
05-06-2013, 06:18 PM
I'm also a teacher - we seem to have a few on the Border.

I teach Maths, Science and Biology to kids of ages varying from 12 to 19. The school is in a disadvantaged area, so the school and kids are not without some problems, but we have a very good Principal, and in her first year in charge she has made a number of very positive changes.

Our aim with some kids is that they would do well enough to get into college after school, while with others its that they come out of school able to read and write, and hopefully not have gotten into too much trouble.

Its challenging and tough but very rewarding too. And I have to say too, as people, these kids are wonderful. Some have been through a lot of upheaval in their lives, and that they still muster up the strength and courage to come to school every day is wonderfu;.

Dyan61
05-06-2013, 10:27 PM
I work at a school also but in Admin/student support. Nice to find this board for the Eagles...love 'em and have sure learned a lot about them since signing up a couple of weeks ago!

EaglesKiwi
05-08-2013, 04:30 AM
Welcome, Dyan61. Nice to have another Kiwi here!

I'm a Tenders Administrator, writing proposals and tender responses for new/existing customers. As part of my job I need to work with our sales people, pricing team and people throughout the business to ensure the information we provide is accurate, customised and of course sells our offer. It's like herding cats! :hilarious:

I don't have any particular interest in career advancement at this time either, although I'm quite some way off retiring! I'd really like to cut back to part time...

In my earlier years I worked in the hotel industry, which to be honest was far more interesting, particularly when we had major events on in Auckland. The Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting was held here one year - we had then-President Nelson Mandela stay in our hotel along with John Major and 8 other heads of state (including the Aussie Prime Minister, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who it was at the time!), and the APEC conference was held in Auckland a few years after that.

Freypower
05-08-2013, 07:10 PM

I'm a Tenders Administrator, writing proposals and tender responses for new/existing customers. As part of my job I need to work with our sales people, pricing team and people throughout the business to ensure the information we provide is accurate, customised and of course sells our offer. It's like herding cats! :hilarious:

I don't have any particular interest in career advancement at this time either, although I'm quite some way off retiring! I'd really like to cut back to part time...

In my earlier years I worked in the hotel industry, which to be honest was far more interesting, particularly when we had major events on in Auckland. The Commonwealth Heads of Government meeting was held here one year - we had then-President Nelson Mandela stay in our hotel along with John Major and 8 other heads of state (including the Aussie Prime Minister, but I'm ashamed to say I can't remember who it was at the time!), and the APEC conference was held in Auckland a few years after that.

I'd be able to tell you the Australiam PM if you could specify which year it was. During Major's era it would have been Bob Hawke or Paul Keating or John Howard if it was 1996 - 1997.

Dyan61
05-08-2013, 11:17 PM

Hi to you too!

EaglesKiwi
05-09-2013, 03:54 AM
I'd be able to tell you the Australiam PM if you could specify which year it was. During Major's era it would have been Bob Hawke or Paul Keating or John Howard if it was 1996 - 1997.
November 1995...? Now that you've mentioned Paul Keating that rings a bell - although at the time all the focus was around South Africa (who had just returned to the Commonwealth and were attending their first CHOGM for a while) that everyone else was kind of overlooked. Security was a big issue too (oh and President Mandela's bodyguards didn't want their delegation to walk through the metal detectors in the hotel lobby. :eyebrow:

AstraeaLunaAvani
05-09-2013, 05:58 AM
I work as a prep cook in the kitchen of a lodge where the oil workers stay, in Williston, North Dakota...some of you might have heard of the oil boom here, people are coming from all over the country to work here because there are more jobs than there are people to do them. It's the best job I've ever had! We work 12 hours a day for 6 weeks straight, then we go home for 2 weeks.

Brooke
05-09-2013, 02:51 PM
Thanks to all you teachers. I could never be one. I'd kill those kids in no time, I'm afraid. You couldn't pay me enough to be one!

VA, your job gives me a headache! :fear:

I'm the office manager for our rural water district. We have about 2000 active customers. There is the general manager (general do nothing!), service man, receptionist and me here. I've been here over 22 years now and they'll have to fire me to get rid of me! My office is 2 miles from my home, I have great benefits and work M-F, 8-4. It was wonderful when my kids were here in school and just so handy. I can take off pretty much whenever I want within reason. Since there are really only two of us that do office work it's very hard to take much time off during the first 12 days of the month because one person just can't handle it all. I do payroll, take minutes at our monthly board meetings, accounts receivable and payable besides general office duties. We also have to deal with the public, which can be very frustrating ("there is NO WAY I used that much water"), but the good outweighs the bad most of the time.

WalshFan88
05-09-2013, 03:55 PM
I'm medically disabled, but I do repair computers for people out of my home. I don't do onsite stuff really, I either work on them remotely over the internet, or they bring them to me and I fix them. Lots of virus removal, tuneups, etc.

Prettymaid
05-09-2013, 06:48 PM
This is really interesting! I'm glad I asked!

Freypower
05-09-2013, 06:49 PM
November 1995...? Now that you've mentioned Paul Keating that rings a bell - although at the time all the focus was around South Africa (who had just returned to the Commonwealth and were attending their first CHOGM for a while) that everyone else was kind of overlooked. Security was a big issue too (oh and President Mandela's bodyguards didn't want their delegation to walk through the metal detectors in the hotel lobby. :eyebrow:

Yes, that was my hero, Paul, only about six months before he lost the 1996 election. :worried:

Henley Honey
05-09-2013, 08:17 PM
I import and distribute a synthetic bone-graft product that is used in spine and orthopedic surgery.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2013, 11:09 PM
VA, your job gives me a headache! :fear:

Me, too! I should add, apparently I do training as well, it's what I got sent to San Antonio at the last minute to do.

All of you that deal with the public all the time, how do you do it?? I'd go crazy!

Prettymaid
05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
I import and distribute a synthetic bone-graft product that is used in spine and orthopedic surgery.

Do you go to hospitals and sell the product?

Grey Sadler
05-09-2013, 11:11 PM
All of you that deal with the public all the time, how do you do it?? I'd go crazy!

Blasting our favorite band helps bunches...and lots of chocolate. :lol:

Prettymaid
05-09-2013, 11:19 PM
Me, too! I should add, apparently I do training as well, it's what I got sent to San Antonio at the last minute to do.

That's the part I like best about my job. Of course, once in awhile you get somebody who's in a bad mood or just plain mean, but most people are good and kind. I believe that every encounter with somebody is a spiritual teaching or learning experience, even if it's only one minute with a customer. When you think of it that way, every day is an adventure.

Outlawman13
05-09-2013, 11:34 PM

LOL I don't really like dealing with the public, but it's part of my job. LOL. I go mental on most parts, but I'm good at not showing it. LOL. I've been working with the public for 6 1/2 years on one job, and now just 7 months on this job. I like my co-workers though. They keep me on my toes. LOL.

Henley Honey
05-10-2013, 08:55 AM
Do you go to hospitals and sell the product?

No, PM. I have Sub-Distributors and Independent Sales Reps that sell inside hospitals.

Topkat
05-10-2013, 08:03 PM
My career has taken a few turns along the way, but I always manged to find work that was fun & creative or at least that was what I thought!

I'll start with my first job after college as an Art major, I got a job in the Adverting department of a large department store, where my title was "Advertising Coordinator" I worked on getting the clothes together for the photo shoots of ads & catalogs & doing the art buying...which meant dealing with the artists & photographers. I later took a job at a Photography studio where I worked as a stylist & catalog coordinator. I earned extra bucks as a hand & shoe model, which I did during my time at the studio. I worked with few photographers & this was not easy dealing with the weirdo personalities of some of these people.I was also hired by one of the photographers as his personal shopper. Yes, he gave me a bunch of money & told me to go buy all his clothes because he didn't have the time or energy to do it himself!!! At the studio, I styled models, worked on set designs & was sent out on various strange assignments to find things for a shoot., then I supervised the shoot, & worked on the finished photos.

I later moved more into the printing end of catalogs & I worked for about 7 years at a Color Separator, doing Production & Quality Control. This was an Italian company & they sent me to Italy several times. This was a fun gig, & I had a lot of perks here. It was high pressure, as they had high end demanding clients, such as Bloomingdales & Saks Fifth Avenue, but it was interesting work. I then went to work at a few Ad Agencies & then I moved into doing Publishing Children's books, which I also did for several years.

When I bought my 2nd apartment, I thought my Real Estate Agent didn't do hardly anything, & at the closing, I had to write him a big fat check....So I was thinking. I can do this..This is easy. ...Well I went & took Real Estate Classes & soon found out that it was not as easy as it looks, & in NY it is very hard core & cut throat., which didn't really suit me. I did ok, but it was hard work & I was a bit frustrated. I lasted about 6 years selling real estate, but the market collapsed & things got very tough. I decided to go back into publishing, but now the entire industry had changed. Print media jobs are few & hard to get & I was several years out of the loop. My connections had dried up, so I had to do temp Jobs, & whatever I could get for a few years.

Luckily, I have a friend who hooked me up with my current job, which is at a CPA firm, where I am doing Admin & learning all about TAXES! I have no head for this, but I have dappled in the Stock Market over the years, so I am learning a lot every day! The office is rather conservative, but everyone has been really nice to me. I have no intention to go for a CPA, but I don't mind doing the office work, even though it can be a little boring sometimes. Looking for work when you are over 50 is very difficult, nobody wants you. I feel lucky to have landed this job, so I'm learning all about finance & International taxes...:o

sad-cafe
05-11-2013, 12:23 AM
My job is very rewarding most days. Somedays it tears your heart out.

We had a student who for the first month was a royal pain, then he settled down got some credits caught up and had a credit or two ahead. Ended his "drug class" last week and we had just given him a 1/2 day schedule as a reward for doing well and getting caught up on his classes/credits on Wed. On Thursday he came to class totally blazed AND had stuff on him to keep him high during the day. Sigh...needless t osay, he is gone

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 08:31 AM
Blasting our favorite band helps bunches...and lots of chocolate. :lol:
Wow I couldnt have said it better my self. got a brand spanking new computer yesterday and the tech guy saw all my eagles pictrues and put a great shot on my sreen saver and down loaded bunches more in my library for me .....

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 08:32 AM
That's the part I like best about my job. Of course, once in awhile you get somebody who's in a bad mood or just plain mean, but most people are good and kind. I believe that every encounter with somebody is a spiritual teaching or learning experience, even if it's only one minute with a customer. When you think of it that way, every day is an adventure.
Pm I love that...gonna have to print that and put on my desk as a reminder.....thank you:thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 08:48 AM
well, I have enjoyed reading this thread..all have such intresting stories and life experiences.

While I started out as and am still curently a licenced hardresser in my home state, I no longer do that for a living. I worked for glenby international, a company in New york that had shops in upper end stores like Saks, Macys and the old John Wannamakers, I gave that all up to be a full time wife and Mother .( You dont get a second chance raising your kids ) .

While our son was small I did do some part time work/ seasonal work.
Then for 9 years I managed a book store in a private school . I loved that job but then we moved to another part of the state so bye bye job..

I now have over ten years expierence in the medical office proffession, having worked in two specialized offices.
I love what I do now...mostly insurance work and appt setting . But dealing with the public is hard. Our pts are mostly elderly who cant see or hear too well and it becomes a challenge.
My motto has always been to treat others as I myself would want to be treated. I also look at every patient as someone 's mom, dad grandparent , or other family member and stop and take a deep breath and think "how would I want someone to treat my family member " and it usually goes ok...
I also live by the motto " dont let someones negativity spoil your positivness"

Topkat
05-11-2013, 11:02 AM
I have the Eagles calendar as my desktop at work, & one of the interns came in my office & asked, "Who are those old guys???" I just laughed..

TT; I have a whole new outlook on the elderly...While I used to become annoyed by them, (they walk too slow, can't hear you, so you have to repeat things....etc...) I now think, one day hopefully, that is going to be ME...if I'm not dead! So have patience with you elderly neighbors & patients. Yes, they are somebody's mother, or grandmother..They deserve respect & patience. They aren't up on technology, heck, I'm even having trouble with that. Oh, wait, I'm OLD...I mean I'm not THAT OLD, but old.:nahnah:

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 11:14 AM
Thanks TK
very kind of you to say.
I do get frustrated sometimes on my last nerve but then I look at the picture at my desk taken after the eagles show on sept first at revel of a bunch of us so happy next to my photo of the beach and i just smile.....the teck guy even found my shell which I have worn a groove in from rubbing between my finger and the thumb when I am getting frustrated lol..
At the end of the day, I hope I make a difference in the lives of some patients who cross my path.
I also found what you did in your former life to sound like tons of fun wih lots of stress...lol:hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
05-11-2013, 07:23 PM
We all have our Eagles pics somewhere, don't we? I have a pc of Glenn :heart: that I took in LA taking up pride of place in my locker, and also one of Soda and myself that her sister took of us in Dublin last year. Means that every time I open my locker I have a big smile on my face.
Makes those harder days easier to bear knowing I have my dose of Glenn :heart: to look forward to.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-11-2013, 08:13 PM
We all have our Eagles pics somewhere, don't we? I have a pc of Glenn :heart: that I took in LA taking up pride of place in my locker, and also one of Soda and myself that her sister took of us in Dublin last year. Means that every time I open my locker I have a big smile on my face.
Makes those harder days easier to bear knowing I have my dose of Glenn :heart: to look forward to.

see u get it lol

I have a picture of the guys from lrooe , and another picture of zelda, va, hh, Nancy, me and dreamer taken by JAHH as we all met up outside the veue..It just brings back such happy memories to me and makes me smile each and every time:):):) I also have a picture of HH JAHH VA dreamer and I taken by HH'sdh after don henley at the revel in feb..another great nite on my desk at home ,...nothing lke having friends who "get you"

Brooke
05-14-2013, 03:16 PM

We had a student who for the first month was a royal pain, then he settled down got some credits caught up and had a credit or two ahead. Ended his "drug class" last week and we had just given him a 1/2 day schedule as a reward for doing well and getting caught up on his classes/credits on Wed. On Thursday he came to class totally blazed AND had stuff on him to keep him high during the day. Sigh...needless t osay, he is gone

Oh, so sad! That would be hard to take happening very often. It's hard to understand people sometimes.

EaglesKiwi
05-16-2013, 03:46 PM

So frustrating, so heartbreaking.

My teenage son is in alternative education. It's a bit of an eye opener, and takes some very special people to teach/tutor in that environment.

lizzyplays
05-18-2013, 08:48 PM
Weeelll... let's see... after throwing away a straight A high school education, I opted for beauty school instead of college because school for another 4 years would really interfere with my lifestyle at that time! After several years of doing hair, I pursued a career as a professional drug user. I moonlighted as a waitress, because the drug user job didn't pay so well....

Fast forward to 8 years ago, I retired as a drug user and have remained in the food industry, mostly as a waitress, sometimes as a manager, etc. I actually am a people person, at least I think I am and I love dealing with the public even though there are a-holes periodically.

If the truth be known, at age 49, I haven't decided what I want to do for a career yet. I LOVE (am obsessed) with music and all it entails. But, I can't sing, dance, design, write, produce etc. I would however, love some kind of job that put me in the midst of the musical action and that required travelling as well. Preferably before I'm 70.

sodascouts
05-18-2013, 10:55 PM
I'm a college professor; I teach English composition and literature classes.

Houston Baby
05-18-2013, 11:15 PM
LP - since you are a people person and love music, I think you would be great as a personal assistant for a musician/singer. Being a waitress calls for someone who can deal with all kinds of personalities and is a quick thinker/problem solver. Now we just need to find the musician! Male? ;-)

lizzyplays
05-18-2013, 11:37 PM
I actually have some personal assistant experience. Worked for a couple of rich businessmen when I lived in Los Angeles a few years ago. I'd LOVE to work for a musician but getting "in" would probably be hard without knowing someone connected to them!!

Troubadour
06-25-2013, 04:16 AM
This thread has been really interesting to read. I am a newly qualified primary school teacher so I am currently looking for my first full-time teaching job. Eventually I would like to either get more involved in literacy promotion, or perhaps lecturing... but I want to get a few years of teaching under my belt first and see how it goes. I have always written creatively so, if I'm honest, it's a big dream of mine to get something published.

Before this, I taught as a volunteer secondary school teacher for a year in rural South Africa, worked front of house at a West End theatre in London (lots of fun!), worked as a cashier in a supermarket and worked as a Social Care Worker in a home for eight male adults with learning disabilities and Autism. I spent four years there and learnt so much, but it was never a forever job. It has left me with a real interest in Special Educational Needs, though.

Prettymaid
06-25-2013, 08:08 AM
Yes Troub, as I recall you had a few interesting stories to tell about your job with the theatre. They're here somewhere...

You know I wish you the best of luck in your new career and whatever lies ahead for you. I would read anything of yours!

Troubadour
06-25-2013, 08:16 AM
Aw thanks, Cathy! I appreciate it. :hug:

Brooke
06-25-2013, 10:58 AM
Troub, congrats and good luck finding your first teaching job! I'll bet you'll be great!

Glennsallnighter
06-25-2013, 12:04 PM
And I remember hearing a few rather hair raising stories from the care home. You did a great job there and I'm sure when you get a teaching post (which we all have every confidence that you will) that you will do a superb job. They will be lucky children!

Troubadour
06-25-2013, 12:53 PM
Thanks so much for the encouragement!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-25-2013, 08:07 PM
Troub, I'm very happy for you! Excited as well!

SallyGee
06-25-2013, 09:19 PM
Troub, I wish you the best of luck. Teaching is a very rewarding career.
I went to college for Animal Science Technology. I worked as a Veterinary Technician until I had children. I stayed home with them until my youngest went to school. I then taught Preschool for 9 years. Now I work in a fragrance house making samples such as candles, body wash, laundry detergent, etc. The only reason I left the preschool is because it was closing. Sad to say what I do now pays much better.

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2013, 12:47 PM
Your job sounds lovely SG, we love making candles in our house.

You know, there are so many teachers / lecturers on the Border now, we should open a teachers thread where we can compare notes or share resources! I always think its interesting to see how something is taught in a different education system to the one I work in.
Of course it doesn't only have to be open to teachers!

Troubadour
06-26-2013, 12:56 PM
Hey, any excuse to disguise visits to The Border as 'work'! ;)

Tiffanny Twisted
06-26-2013, 01:36 PM
Troub, I wish you the best of luck. Teaching is a very rewarding career.
I went to college for Animal Science Technology. I worked as a Veterinary Technician until I had children. I stayed home with them until my youngest went to school. I then taught Preschool for 9 years. Now I work in a fragrance house making samples such as candles, body wash, laundry detergent, etc. The only reason I left the preschool is because it was closing. Sad to say what I do now pays much better.
I can relate...I make beautiful jewelery and I love it ...gets me so excited to take old things people no longer want take it apart and redesign it ...but it doesnt pay the bills
ills.. Lets just say I give great one of a kind gifts ...earrings, braclets and necklaces...lol

troub congrats

cricrichan
07-31-2013, 06:15 AM
I've read with great interest all of your posts in this thread, it's awesome to see how many different jobs are done by the Borderers :D

I've been working in a museum for 4 years and I like my job. I think to be a people person, I like so much dealing with people and talking to visitors! I'm also going to do (always at the museum) some didactic works with children of primary school.

Unfortunately this job gives me a very few hours of work and my salary is not very good ... so I have to do some extra jobs to increase the money - for example I do cats/dogs sitting or private tutoring for students ... not so much additional money, but it's okay^^ I think to be very lucky because I know that there are many people who unfortunately don't have a job at all ... :(

sad-cafe
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
I've read with great interest all of your posts in this thread, it's awesome to see how many different jobs are done by the Borderers :D

I've been working in a museum for 4 years and I like my job. I think to be a people person, I like so much dealing with people and talking to visitors! I'm also going to do (always at the museum) some didactic works with children of primary school.

Unfortunately this job gives me a very few hours of work and my salary is not very good ... so I have to do some extra jobs to increase the money - for example I do cats/dogs sitting or private tutoring for students ... not so much additional money, but it's okay^^ I think to be very lucky because I know that there are many people who unfortunately don't have a job at all ... :(

That is very cool! As a History Teacher, museums are so interesting!

sad-cafe
07-31-2013, 10:28 PM
So all you teachers, when does your summer end? Our teacher report week is next Tuesday and kids report week is the following Tuesday.

Here we go:scowl:

sodascouts
07-31-2013, 11:38 PM
I'm back on the job the week of August 12.

Prettymaid
08-01-2013, 08:24 AM
We've had some grade schools start back in July this year. :shock: I'm not sure why so early, but if I was a kid I'd be pretty ticked!

TimothyBFan
08-01-2013, 09:08 AM
Just realized I've never posted in here but the last several post about school starting again spoke to me. You see, I run a daycare..... so school cannot start soon enough for me. ;)

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2013, 12:51 PM
We start back on 22nd August and the pupils start returning on 26th. But different year groups come back on different days so it will really be the following week before everything is in full swing. I teach 2nd level. As far as I'm aware the primary schools will go back about the 29th, although their teachers may come back a day or 2 earlier.

Prettymaid
08-01-2013, 06:09 PM
GA, by second level do you mean 2nd grade, or middle school (grades 6-8 ) as it's called here?

Glennsallnighter
08-02-2013, 01:57 PM
It would be age 12-18, and would finish off compulsory education. After that you'd chose to go on to University or technical college if it is what you want to do.

Prettymaid
08-02-2013, 09:14 PM
It would be age 12-18, and would finish off compulsory education. After that you'd chose to go on to University or technical college if it is what you want to do.

Thanks for clearing that up for me. For some reason I thought you taught younger students. Your age group can be challenging!

MaryCalifornia
08-04-2013, 01:31 AM
I am a lawyer. My last job was as in-house lawyer for the athletic department at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Our football team opened last season against Notre Dame in Dublin, Ireland, and I got to go on the team charter. I sat in a 50-yard-line suite with Larry Mullin Jr., the drummer from U2. That was the highight of my career (and my life, except for getting married and having kids haha).

My husband just retired from the Marines after 20 years and we have moved to San Diego - I am from SoCal and my family is here. I don't have a job yet, but I will let you know what I end up doing! I need to get some $$ coming ASAP for the LA tickets.

Glennsallnighter
08-04-2013, 04:47 AM
There was a lot of publicity surrounding that game over here MC. Hope you had fun. Did you see much of Dublin? Did you like it?

MaryCalifornia
08-04-2013, 11:52 AM
Yes, there was a lot of press - our game sold out all of the hotel rooms in Dublin. I was only there 3 nights and did not get out of the center of Dublin - we stayed at the Conrad. We walked to Aviva stadium so I got to see some nice neighborhoods. I loved it and the people were so nice everywhere - can't wait to go back and see some more of the country.

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 02:29 PM
I just got the following email from my principal.

I HATE speaking to the whole group of teachers. I don't want them to think I am better than anyone else. I am on the leadership team so sometimes I have to.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Pam- I have a power point attached that speaks to averting power struggles with students. I ask that you consider presenting the information. If you want to add anything, please do so.

If you are uncomfortable with the request, I understand, but I think you do an excellent job of being mindful of power struggles with students.

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 02:33 PM
At least she/he has given you an out if you feel you truly can't do it. He/she seems to have confidence in you, though. That's flattering.

Glennsallnighter
08-04-2013, 06:25 PM
That's true Soda! It can be daunting making a presentation to colleagues but it stands in your favour Pam that your Principal thinks you would be a good person to do it.

Good luck!

And yes Cathy! That age group can be daunting at times! But barring a few who just don't want to be there you can manage to get around most of them met of the time

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 06:57 PM
thanks guys. I don't brag, but I do have a great relationship in my room with 99% of my students. I am good at what I do. I just don't know if I want to do it in front of all my other teachers. I do not want them to think I think I am better.

TimothyBFan
08-05-2013, 09:19 AM
I am a lawyer. My last job was as in-house lawyer for the athletic department at the Naval Academy in Annapolis. Our football team opened last season against Notre Dame in Dublin, Ireland, and I got to go on the team charter. I sat in a 50-yard-line suite with Larry Mullin Jr., the drummer from U2. That was the highight of my career (and my life, except for getting married and having kids haha).

My husband just retired from the Marines after 20 years and we have moved to San Diego - I am from SoCal and my family is here. I don't have a job yet, but I will let you know what I end up doing! I need to get some $$ coming ASAP for the LA tickets.

Did someone say NOTRE DAME? I might have mentioned this before but did you all know they finished the regular season last year at #1? We aren't going to talk about the bowl game or the T'eo controversy after that. :hilarious:

MaryCalifornia
08-05-2013, 05:46 PM
After Navy's performance against ND in Ireland, and the fake girlfriend extravaganza, Mantii and I both fled to San Diego!! I will let you know if I see him around, haha.

Love your avi!!!

irga
03-14-2014, 07:13 PM
I'm a psychologist. Having lived and studied in the U.S. for some time, I came back to Poland and got my postgraduate degree at the School of Translation, Interpreting and Languages. Started my professional career as a translator. I work mainly for publishing houses in PL, focusing on academic books in psychology and sociology. I am also a foreign rights manager in one of Polish publishing houses.

DJ
03-15-2014, 01:40 AM
I am a 35 yrs plus Financial Advisor, currently unemployed due to the economy. I actually am enjoying being home for the last 5 months it's been a nice break. Oh and fulltime Mommy and wifey... I would really like to try working in a radio station, I think it would be a blast. :partytime:

ktdids
03-17-2014, 01:21 AM
I've worked in retail for about 25 years as a manager in varying levels at a couple of specialty places, Pier 1 Imports and DSW currently. I just fell into it as I graduated from college with an Economics degree just as the market had it's first real nose dive. Fifteen or so years later I went to grad school for an education masters, which I ended up getting, but was so turned off by my "thesis" class professor and her fabulous horror stories from life as an Asst Principal in a Brooklyn high school, that I knew I wasn't going to work in a school. I'll probably do some level of tutoring beside the volunteer stuff I do, but I bow my head and wish all the best to everyone who works in a classroom and thank you for what you do.

tjh532
03-17-2014, 03:33 AM
I am a fourth grade teacher. I've only been in education for about 7 years. Before that I was a stay at home mom, until my divorce. Then I found myself working and putting myself through college and raising my 3 awesome kids. I am getting ready to go back and get my master's in Education with an emphasis on elementary math.

DJ
03-17-2014, 11:13 PM

Yep those jobless people would be me....And my unemployment runs out soon.....:fear:

bluefeather
03-18-2014, 08:58 AM
I'm sorry to hear that DJ, I'm looking for work as well but I'm also supported as a student and I have savings, I'd like a job anyway:pray:

Brooklyn Roads
03-18-2014, 04:49 PM
I've work for a commercial insurance brokerage for 2 years. I've been in the industry for 6 years. Prior to that, I had a short period of working in the medical field/studying nursing. However, did not get into nursing school (lottery system; not based on good grades). So, reevaluated things. Prior to nursing, worked in advertising for 6 years. And, prior to that, worked as a remodeling contractor's assistant, assisting my future boyfriend on jobs. I still help him from time to time :) :thumbsup:

Brooklyn Roads
03-19-2014, 03:50 PM
Yep those jobless people would be me....And my unemployment runs out soon.....:fear:

Back when the economy really was tanking, I was able to find a job still!! I couldn't believe it. I posted my resume on Craigslist (without my personal info - never give that out until you've verified a legit contact). And, got several job offers - a few not quite in my field and a few that were.

Also, to bring in money, I found a happy medium of working part time, while finishing school and also working as a photographer and also part time assisting an older couple cleaning house, cooking, etc.

It's really weird looking back on it now, how I juggled all of it, but it brought in some extra money. I felt like I had to sort of reinvent myself and my way of thinking. Job searching and becoming desperate for anything will do that to someone, but it worked and now I have a job that is everything I could ask for - so, all in all, this thing we call an endless job search, does have a silver lining :)

There are a few books that can help: What Color Is Your Parachute? Check that one out :thumbsup:

I wish you luck, as I know it can be daunting & scary out there!

DJ
03-25-2014, 10:11 PM
Back when the economy really was tanking, I was able to find a job still!! I couldn't believe it. I posted my resume on Craigslist (without my personal info - never give that out until you've verified a legit contact). And, got several job offers - a few not quite in my field and a few that were.

Also, to bring in money, I found a happy medium of working part time, while finishing school and also working as a photographer and also part time assisting an older couple cleaning house, cooking, etc.

It's really weird looking back on it now, how I juggled all of it, but it brought in some extra money. I felt like I had to sort of reinvent myself and my way of thinking. Job searching and becoming desperate for anything will do that to someone, but it worked and now I have a job that is everything I could ask for - so, all in all, this thing we call an endless job search, does have a silver lining :)

There are a few books that can help: What Color Is Your Parachute? Check that one out :thumbsup:

I wish you luck, as I know it can be daunting & scary out there!

Hey Thanks Brooklyn, I will. I've thought about house cleaning also and assisting the elderly. Thanks again. :partytime:

DJ
03-27-2014, 12:23 AM
Hey Brooklyn I just wanted you to know I found 8 jobs fitting my experience on Craigslist today. Amazing. It had more than the local Job Service site. THANKS
A BUNCH :thumbsup:

Brooke
03-27-2014, 09:33 AM
Good luck, DJ!

Brooklyn Roads
04-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Hey Brooklyn I just wanted you to know I found 8 jobs fitting my experience on Craigslist today. Amazing. It had more than the local Job Service site. THANKS
A BUNCH :thumbsup:

That is SO great!! Sorry, I just saw this message today! I really hope one of them works out (or maybe already did?? :razz: )