PDA

View Full Version : Bernie Interview UNCUT: "No xmas cards"

OutlawManNJ
05-15-2013, 01:12 AM
Anyone got the full interview? Seems like some interesting tidbits inclusing that from the beginning the plan was to be rich and famous...not friends.

http://www.uncut.co.uk/eagles/eagles-our-plan-was-to-be-world-famous-and-rich-no-christmas-cards-news?fb_comment_id=fbc_618545464841146_104490404_6 19278891434470#fedc690e8

sodascouts
05-15-2013, 01:16 AM
I saw this promoted (the preview was posted in Bernie's press thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268)) but I haven't seen the full article. The quote does surprise me. I've always had this romanticized view of Bernie being in it for the art, even if the other guys weren't. Guess that was naive of me.

zeldabjr
05-15-2013, 01:34 AM
yeah I don't like to think of them like that either...naivete here too girl!

OutlawManNJ
05-15-2013, 01:44 AM
I saw this promoted (the preview was posted in Bernie's press thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2268)) but I haven't seen the full article. The quote does surprise me. I've always had this romanticized view of Bernie being in it for the art, even if the other guys weren't. Guess that was naive of me.

Though Bernie I thinks said that Glenn stated that from the begining...not him. So maybe Bernie was led in that direcition from the other 2. I cant see Randy being in it "just for fame and money".

sodascouts
05-15-2013, 02:02 AM
Yeah, I wouldn't think Randy would be like that either, but I guess we don't really know these guys.

I'd like to see the whole article. It's a UK magazine - have any of our Brit members seen it?

TimothyBFan
05-15-2013, 08:36 AM
I'm not jumping to conclusions until I see the whole interview. I also don't buy that coming from Bernie. Not to say that others weren't like that but Bernie and Randy it seems unlikely.

Ive always been a dreamer
05-15-2013, 11:25 AM
I always got the impression that the four original members all wanted to be successful and make lots of money. But, I personally don't view that as a bad thing. However, once success and fame came, I get the feeling that Bernie and Randy weren't as enamored with it as Don and Glenn were. My take on it is that part of the reason that Don and Glenn gained more control of the band is because they were more ambitious and prepared to handle the rigors of super-stardom than Bernie and Randy were.

AEW21
05-15-2013, 07:40 PM
I just finished reading that "Hotel California" book, and Bernie is interviewed in it, and says the ultimate goal all along was to make good music and more importantly, be successful. And that doesn't mean solely money-wise--they just didn't want to implode like other acts they had seen at the Trobadour--Gram Parsons, Gene Clark, etc.--they wanted their music to last, and for it to be their livelihood--no more side session jobs or "dayjobs"--they were in it to learn from the mistakes of those who went before them, and, of course, to get rich. I think that went for all of them--they wanted to succeed where their idols before them had failed, and be compensated for their hard work--no crime in that.

From Tumblr; note Bernie's quote at page bottom:

http://25.media.tumblr.com/9a6d0d36baabcabe15e3e97b44745b22/tumblr_mmtnftf0qZ1qcgbbpo1_500.jpg

sodascouts
05-15-2013, 09:27 PM
True. You can be an artist and want to be rich as well - one doesn't exclude the other. Good point.

Freypower
05-15-2013, 11:23 PM
Yeah, I wouldn't think Randy would be like that either, but I guess we don't really know these guys.

I'd like to see the whole article. It's a UK magazine - have any of our Brit members seen it?

I have seen it. It is about the making of the Desperado album & although Bernie is quoted, so are people like Johns & Souther. From what I could tell there was nothing much new in it. So I repeat, it is not an interview with Bernie.

chaim
06-20-2013, 03:08 AM
I love that "No Christmas cards". :hilarious: Seems that Glenn has always been good at coming up with hilarious little phrases. That sounded perfectly understandable to me. It didn't say that the musical ambition wasn't there; just that no one would have any delusions about them being there for the friendship. It's great when that is settled from the very beginning, so that there will be no "where did the friendship go" later on.
I found that interesting especially because in his book Don F kind of grieves about the lack of friendship in the band. But now it looks like it was perfectly clear from the very beginning.
People who work well together don't have to be friends. Often there's this illusion among rock fans that people in a band are best friends, and when they find they are not together when they're not working, they think those people are "not talking".
And finally, I'm sure almost every musician would like to become rich and famous. It's just that most of them won't admit it and keep repeating this "for me it's only about the music" mantra with a humble expression on their faces. Which reminds me of my favourite Freudian slip. Don Felder: "For me it's all about the money...the music".:hilarious:

MortSahlFan
03-20-2016, 02:48 PM
I think there are people who don't care about wanting to be rich and famous, because that price is too much. Also, some people don't want a drastic change in life, or not being able to go for a walk, or having tabloids spilling every thing you do NOT want to be known to people all over the world. I certainly wouldn't, but I wouldn't mind making $100,000 a year instead of putting myself in debt to play music around the world, or simple recordings - I'd definitely like some more instruments, but $5,000 would be enough for that.

Lifeofillusion
03-20-2016, 05:40 PM
http://www.uncut.co.uk/features/eagles-on-desperado-we-were-quite-taken-with-the-idea-of-being-outlaws-8613

This link should take you to the 4 page article.

NightMistBlue
03-21-2016, 11:09 AM
That's high praise for Mr. Meisner's song by Jackson Browne: “The idea of musicians as outlaws was never intended by me to be the whole metaphor,” says Browne. “It was more something you could hint at, and the song on that album that does that best is ‘Certain Kind Of Fool’. It could be about a gun, it could be about a guitar, and it’s not really about cowboys at all. There’s no western motif.”

NightMistBlue
03-21-2016, 01:15 PM
P.S. It occurs to me, very slowly because it's a Monday, that Bernie could have made that remark flippantly OR he was just speaking about his own experience - maybe he felt he didn't have any close friendships within the band.

Certainly Henley and Frey were very close in the 70s.