PDA

View Full Version : What song should go?

sodascouts
07-07-2007, 01:32 AM
Let's do a hypothetical here. Assuming the new album will indeed be released this year, and assuming they will tour, and assuming that they will put some new songs into the setlist... what should go to make room for the new stuff?

I say Sunset Grill should be one to go. It's not Eagles, it drags live, and its only virtue seems to be the cheer that goes up with Don sings "meanwhile grab another beer [...] all our friends are here." Sorry, don't think the cheer from the drunks is a good enough reason to keep the thing in the set!

So what do you guys think?

glenneaglesfan
07-07-2007, 05:37 AM
Interesting topic, Soda. They would probably have to drop a few songs if they wanted to include some from the new album, but they definitely need to keep the old favourites as well. I agree with you about Sunset Grill. Certainly the British audience didn't seem familiar with it, and IMHO I thought Don was a little off key singing it. If Tim is going to sing Do Something, and I would love to hear that live, perhaps LWKUA could go. Joe had three solo songs last year: Walk Away, Funk#49 and Rocky Mountain Way. After Dublin they seemed to drop RMW, which seemed a shame as it rocked. Funk#49 could be dropped, although I loved the way Glenn and Tim got into that one. Don's solos, well, perhaps All She Wants To Do Is Dance could go - that's another that they dropped after Dublin, and again, less well known over here. Of the Eagles songs, I'd vote off Witchy Woman and possibly In The City.

JoeFan
07-07-2007, 04:41 PM
I agree about Sunset Grill, but I think Schmit should be allowed to have more than two songs, I'd say let him keep Love Will Keep Us Alive. I know I'm biased but none of the Joe songs should be dropped, they add energy to the show. The loss of Rocky Mountain Way was absolutely tragic. Though I'd love to see them bring back the ballad Help Me Thru the Night, he is so amazing on that song that I'd be willing to see it replace Rocky Mountain Way or Walk Away. Funk #49 cannot go. It lights the place on fire.

If we have to come up with more than one song, then I'd say let's remove some Henley or Frey songs, they're the ones that currently have the most to spare. I agree that All She Wants To Do Is Dance could readily go. If they need more time they could also cut that saxophone opening to Hotel California, not that it's bad, it just goes on a bit too long. A Frey one we could lose is Take It To The Limit, it's not the same without Meisner.

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 02:03 AM
I only came up with one, but I'd like to add to that now! I'm also in the camp that thinks that All She Wants to Do Is Dance can go. I love Glenn's dancing on it, but the song is still expendable. Also, I agree Witchy Woman can go. It's a hit and all, but it's one of the lesser ones.

As for Joe, I'd love to see them resurrect Turn to Stone, and I can see it replacing RMW. I love the ballads too.. perhaps HMTTN could be added if they snipped the instrumental interludes some? It's a short song!

I adore TITTL - there's no way that one can go! It always is a big hit with the audience. That song is so epic that it gets everybody going.

zermie
07-08-2007, 09:15 AM
I guess it goes w/out saying ODAAT is already gone, I agree sunset grill is a drag on the show, for another Walsh tune, bring back Ordinary Average Guys, that was always big fun at the HFO shows, got the crowd to do the sing along, and Joe and Glenn had fun w/ that "avergage kids and average ex wives" line. I say keep WW, toss TITTL.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-08-2007, 01:24 PM
OMG - another difficult elimination game. :D Personally, I vote to extend the shows to 4 hours and just add the new stuff since the price of the tickets for the next and probably last tour will be out of the roof. However, since the guys will not likely be following my advice, I guess I'll try to answer Soda's question.

Like everyone else so far, I agree that Sunset Grill should go. I like it, but it isn't very "Eagley." I hate to see RMW or ASWTDID go, but I think it is likely that they will since this is what they cut from some of the shows on the European tour. I'm betting that this is also signaling an end to the "third encores" as well. That is such a shame since they are such an integral part of the band's history. :wink: :wink: If any of Joe's song have to go, I'd rather see In the City or Walk Away go instead of RMW. Zermie, I was thinking if ODAAT is the only new Joe song on the album, they may bring it back. I'm hoping they will keep both of Tim's songs and give him at least one more. If he only gets two, then I'd rather dispose of LWKUA and replace it with something new. I like Do Something a lot, but would love to see Tim do a rocker. I'd like to see them bring back at least one of Glenn's solo songs (maybe Smuggler's Blues) and dispose of Hole in the World.

Now - this is somewhat off topic, but I would also like to see them go back to performing Desperado the good old-fashioned way - Don back on drums and Glenn at the piano.

DonFan
07-08-2007, 03:06 PM
I agree about Sunset Grill. Funk #49 cannot go. It lights the place on fire.

A Frey one we could lose is Take It To The Limit, it's not the same without Meisner.

JF, I agree with all those statements. Ditch Sunset Grill. Ditch TITTL too--I miss Randy's high notes every time I hear Glenn do it. Bring back Smuggler's Blues for Glenn. Replace LWKUA with Do Something for Timothy.
However, ASWTDID lights the place on fire just the same way that Funk #49 does, so I think it should stay.

Personally, I would add Good Day in Hell--that song rocks!

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 04:40 PM
Bring back Smuggler's Blues for Glenn.

I can agree with you here. Another song that would be great to bring back is The Heat Is On. EVERYBODY knows it. It's gone beyond an 80s hit to a song sampled so frequently at sports games it's up there with songs like "We Will Rock You," and "Kiss Him Goodbye" (aka "Na na na na, na na na na, hey hey hey, GOODBYE!") Not to mention all the weather forecasts that sample it. I even heard it played before a news segment on rising gas prices for the winter! The heat is on, the heat is on! over footage of people turning up their heaters. I kid you not.

However, ASWTDID lights the place on fire just the same way that Funk #49 does, so I think it should stay.

Actually, if I were to go for a Don song that really revs everybody up, it would be Dirty Laundry. People just love that "kick 'em when they're up, kick 'em when they're down" part.

Personally, I would add Good Day in Hell--that song rocks!

Don't even get me started on all the obscure stuff I wish they'd play!

glenneaglesfan
07-08-2007, 06:39 PM
I would love to hear The Heat Is On as an Eagles song. It is the only Glenn solo song that is ever played over here, and I think it could enhance a live concert. On balance - I think it could lift up the house as another recognisable song from a different era. I also loved Dirty Laundry live, and Boys of Summer was superb, and my older son's favourite, so neither of these two should be dropped.

Freypower
07-08-2007, 06:53 PM
OMG - another difficult elimination game. :D Personally, I vote to extend the shows to 4 hours and just add the new stuff since the price of the tickets for the next and probably last tour will be out of the roof. However, since the guys will not likely be following my advice, I guess I'll try to answer Soda's question.

Like everyone else so far, I agree that Sunset Grill should go. I like it, but it isn't very "Eagley." I hate to see RMW or ASWTDID go, but I think it is likely that they will since this is what they cut from some of the shows on the European tour. I'm betting that this is also signaling an end to the "third encores" as well. That is such a shame since they are such an integral part of the band's history. :wink: :wink: If any of Joe's song have to go, I'd rather see In the City or Walk Away go instead of RMW. Zermie, I was thinking if ODAAT is the only new Joe song on the album, they may bring it back. I'm hoping they will keep both of Tim's songs and give him at least one more. If he only gets two, then I'd rather dispose of LWKUA and replace it with something new. I like Do Something a lot, but would love to see Tim do a rocker. I'd like to see them bring back at least one of Glenn's solo songs (maybe Smuggler's Blues) and dispose of Hole in the World.

Now - this is somewhat off topic, but I would also like to see them go back to performing Desperado the good old-fashioned way - Don back on drums and Glenn at the piano.

I agree with this. Especially the last paragraph.

I can't believe that RMW was dropped for some of the European shows. Drop ITC or Walk Away, NOT RMW. Drop SG & ASW. Drop LWKUA. Please.

I haven't seen WW and I want to. Particularly because Don plays drums on it. So if one of Glenn's songs had to go (shock horror) I suppose I could live without PEF. NOT Already Gone because apart from HT that is the only uptempo song he has.

Somehow I doubt that ODAAT will ever be played again. As for HITW - if there is a new song filled with harmonies that could replace it, I guess I could live with it being dropped.

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 09:43 PM
I hate to lose HITW just because they have so few "new" songs, but I could live with it, too.

I also agree that I'd like to see "old-school" Desperdo with Don on drums and Glenn on piano (especially the latter).

With ODAAT - I agree with FP. I imagine that it's gone for good.

Dreamer - I would hate to lose those "third encores" - wtih the amount of material they have, they need to extend it! And like you said, I think we'll be paying enough... make 'em work for it, eh? ;)

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 09:47 PM
Side note - reading over this, I think it's so funny how many acronyms we toss around. The posts are like alphabet soup! I remember when I was a newbie over on Eagleland, I had to do board searches to discover what "POMPOY" meant. lol

Sexy Girl
07-09-2007, 04:33 AM
The song I liked least at the 2006 concerts was “Sunset Grill”, so I would drop it immediately.

I never liked “Love Will Keep Us Alive”, I already skipped that on the old HFO tape 8) – so that is another one I don’t want to see on the new set list, rather “Do Something” or like someone already suggested a more up-tempo Timothy sung song.

“Witchy Woman” is another one I never liked too much, so I could do without it either.

If a Joe song had to go it would be "In The City" for me. I still like it but I like the other Joe songs much better.

But PLEASE don’t drop “Take It To The Limit” – I love Glenn’s version, I absolutely prefer it to Randy’s.

The idea of "classic Desperado" appeals to me - I totally love Glenn playing piano :D

Maleah
07-09-2007, 02:44 PM
Good question.....my picks would be:

The Don drop: Definently Sunset Grill. I've never seen them live, but on the dvd's it seems to kind of slow things down. It kind of seems out of place. I love DL, ASWTDID, and BOS though. As soon as they start playing those, it seems like the crowd gets excited right away.

The Joe drop: Without a doubt it would be ITC for me. I've never really cared for it, and it's kind of boring to me. i can't even fathom getting rid of RMW, Funk 49, or Walk Away! And I would LOVE to see them do Turn to Stone again as well.

Glenn's drop or addition: lol I too would love to see them bring back Smuggler's Blues! As for a drop, as long as HT and PEF stay.....it doesn't much matter to me.

Tim: it's sad that we even have to mention them dropping a song for Tim! :lol: He doesn't have much anyways so I'd love to see them keep his two that he does already, and add Do Something. Maybe eve bring back Keep on Tryin' cuz I love that one. :)

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 04:12 PM
The thing about dropping ITC is that right now, it's the ONLY Eagles Joe song they play! It would be weird to have him do only solo songs at an Eagles concert.

Freypower
07-09-2007, 07:38 PM
Another song I wouldn't miss is The Long Run. I know a lot of people like this but I'm afraid it does nothing for me.

Regarding TITTL I could live without it if Glenn gets something where he can really let loose. I need to say that it is high time he sang something where the lyrics have some 'social comment'. He proved he can do this with his last solo album. Surely he can do it with the Eagles.

That's slightly off topic but I needed to say it.

Maleah
07-09-2007, 10:14 PM
I think I'd cry if they got rid of the Long Run :lol: :lol:

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 10:38 PM
I too find The Long Run expendable. I'd love to see Glenn with another rocker. His voice is gorgeous on the ballads but he knows how to rock the house too, as he proves with Heartache Tonight and Already Gone. More please!

As for songs from Strange Weather with the Eagles... well, don't hold your breath. We'd be lucky to get those at solo shows.

Freypower
07-10-2007, 12:44 AM
I don't expect him to ever perform any SW songs again. I hope that he has at least one song on the new Eagles album where a) he rocks; b) he sings about something other than a personal relationship.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 05:12 AM
I don't expect him to ever perform any SW songs again.

Hope springs eternal, but... you're probably right. :(

I hope that he has at least one song on the new Eagles album where a) he rocks; b) he sings about something other than a personal relationship.

I would like an up-tempo song, too. As for the lyrical content, as long Glenn as puts his heart into singing it, it works for me.

Brooke
07-10-2007, 11:31 PM
Finally, I have time to weigh in on this!

Dreamer, we've said it before. Must have been twins separated at birth cause I agreed with everything you said. I especially love the Classic Desperado idea! I think I've mentioned before that I wish Don would just sing and quit being so dramatic with it. If he were drumming that would solve that problem!

SG would be my first choice of Don's songs to go. It is just really dated, imo, boring. ASWTDID is not one of my favorites, but it does really get the crowd going and I'd hate to miss Glenn's performance, but...it could go for Don's new ones. I wouldn't miss HITW one bit!

For Glenn, TITTL is epic (good description), but if he had a new one it could go for me. He must do TS, AG, and HT. PEF, I guess, could go, but I'd miss it alot.

Joe, I can't imagine not hearing LBG or F49. I'd love to hear TTS or OAG. I think Joe needs rockers.

Tim. I'd love to see him do a rocker. I know he can! I'd hate to see him lose any.

janisjoplin
07-12-2007, 04:20 AM
Oh my gosh, these questions are always so hard for me .

The 2 times I did see them live last year I was so entranced that I can hardly remember the set list :blush: I know my Timothy did his usual 2 "sappy" love songs but I'm another who would like to see him rock - plus he's got the moves, if you get my drift - woo wee :headbang:

I know the majority of folk love the harmonies as I do - but I do love having the up-tempo numbers.

One of the nights I went - there was a middle-aged couple who danced up and down the aisle between the stage and the side seating all night :yay: I was exhausted just watching them :spin:

Whatever they decide to do live is fine by me - you can#t please all of the people all of the time - and if they don't play your favourite you can always go home and put a DVD on *cackle* :partytime: