PDA

View Full Version : Tornadoes in Oklahoma

TimothyBFan
05-20-2013, 06:50 PM
This just awful---so many reports of damage.
http://www.cnn.com/2013/05/20/us/severe-weather/index.html?hpt=hp_t1

Hope our own Peekaboo is staying safe.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 07:05 PM
Terrible! Those affected are in my prayers. Hoping Peek is alright.

TimothyBFan
05-20-2013, 07:13 PM
She just told me on FB that it was about 10 miles away from her and she's safe. Phew!!

Henley Honey
05-20-2013, 07:24 PM
Those poor people. It looks like entire neighborhoods are just wiped off the map. The parents of the missing children in the middle school (3rd graders) must be frantic. I can't even imagine . . . . God help them.

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 09:24 PM
All those children... Such an awful tragedy!

ETA: Here's a link to make donations through the Red Cross: http://www.redcross.org/ok/oklahoma-city

Tiffanny Twisted
05-20-2013, 09:50 PM
So so sad. Prayers sent

Houston Baby
05-20-2013, 09:54 PM
The pictures from Oklahoma are heart breaking. I cannot imagine facing such widespread devastation. My heart goes out to all affected and my prayers are with you. Thank you sodascouts for the link.

zeldabjr
05-20-2013, 10:52 PM
I'm just hearing about this now...and haven't seen any pictures...but sounds like it's beyond words...saying a prayer for everyone involved...glad Peekaboo is ok...

Prettymaid
05-20-2013, 11:06 PM
This news is so sad. My heart is breaking for those affected by this tornado. And yes, thank goodness Peek is okay.

Outlawman13
05-21-2013, 12:36 AM
The news is really sad!!! My thoughts go out to all of those who were affected in that tornado!!!

Glennsallnighter
05-21-2013, 04:29 AM
Sending warm vibes and prayers to Peek and everyone in Oklahoma and the areas affected by the tornadoes. Stay safe if you can.

Topkat
05-21-2013, 07:02 AM
Sending prayers to Oklahoma....Very scary how these things happen so quickly
They say there are still 24 children missing...Their parents must be frantic., so upsetting

TimothyBFan
05-21-2013, 07:17 AM
Confirmed 51 dead and over 20 of them children. Some still missing. :worried:

I put this on FB also for help but does anyone know who to donate to help with the misplaced animals? I've given to Red Cross already but would also like to help with the animals. There will be many in the coming days, I'm sure.

Brooke
05-21-2013, 10:18 AM
What a tragedy! I'm so sorry for all of these people affected by this horrible storm. I thought of Jess, too, and am glad to learn she is ok.

Thoughts and prayers to everyone affected.

Troubadour
05-21-2013, 02:49 PM
Like everyone else, I am just devastated by this. I know a lot of people (including Jess) who live in that area and it is unimaginable. I know those places well. I am praying for the victims and their families and hoping that my friends are all okay... I have heard from some of them, but I keep thinking of those acquaintances I don't keep in contact with all the time and hoping they're safe. So tragic.

sodascouts
05-21-2013, 04:28 PM
Some happiness amidst all the tragedy.

Woman finds her dog buried in rubble but alive (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/oklahoma-woman-finds-dog-video-tv-rubble-garcia.html)

zeldabjr
05-21-2013, 09:23 PM

Woman finds her dog buried in rubble but alive (http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer/2013/05/oklahoma-woman-finds-dog-video-tv-rubble-garcia.html)

wasn't this amazing to see...so heart warming amid all the destruction

glenneaglesfan
05-22-2013, 06:37 PM
I'm just so sorry for all the people who have lost their homes, their living and especially their children. My prayers are with them.

wasl89
05-22-2013, 06:44 PM
Just awfull, all those homes ruined. Can't imagine what they are going through right now. My thoughts and prayers are with them.

Woman finds her dog buried in rubble but alive

God answered both her prayers, that was heartwarming to see!

Topkat
05-29-2013, 09:47 PM
Blake Sheldon is doing a special that is on right now to raise money for the victims........I donated at STARBUCKS this afternoon...Your donation gets you a coffee there, but the money goes to Oklahoma...not Starbucks! The company also made a huge donation...

VAisForEagleLovers
05-31-2013, 08:39 PM
They're back, and heading for Moore again.

Troubadour
05-31-2013, 09:06 PM
I'm following it on FB. This is terrifying. I have a lot of friends there who are scared... I can't believe how bad Oklahoma is being hit. :-(

VAisForEagleLovers
05-31-2013, 09:41 PM
They said that even without the tornados, there are straight wind gusts of 90 mph and softball sized hail.

pueblo47
05-31-2013, 10:01 PM
Got a possible tornado, along with severe lightning, heavy rain, hail, headed almost straight for Norman. With widespread power outages there already. Jess lives there, hoping she's ok and in a safe place.

zeldabjr
06-01-2013, 12:59 AM
omg...can't believe this...saying prayers for all those affected...hope everyone is ok...

Prettymaid
06-01-2013, 09:55 AM
Jess (Peekaboo) has reported on FB that she's okay.

Brooke
06-01-2013, 10:01 AM
Glad to hear that!

Wow, this is just terrible! Prayers for everyone in the paths of these storms.

Houston Baby
06-01-2013, 09:58 PM
I pray that these terrible storms will stop now. It must be terrifying. The people who live in this region must be very strong to handle this.

Troubadour
06-02-2013, 02:56 PM
Seriously scary stuff. As I said before, I have numerous friends in that area and know it well... I'm praying they don't get hit again. So tragic.

zeldabjr
06-02-2013, 05:25 PM
just saw that 10 people were killed Friday and over 115 injured...so tragic...again...

Peekaboo
07-08-2013, 03:30 AM
I'm just now reading this thread and it honestly give me chills just thinking of that terrible day. I never thought anything could surpass the tornado that hit in almost the same path on May 3, 1999. In Oklahoma, just say May 3rd and everybody knows exactly what you're talking about. Unfortunately, May 20, 2013 is the new May 3rd. I've driven by the destruction many times since it happened and seeing it with your own eyes is very different than seeing it on tv and in pictures. The first time I drove through Moore after it happened I couldn't help but cry. The devastation of that tornado is unbelievable. All of the media and camera crews were gone after about 3 weeks but even over a month later there is still heavy traffic on I-35 from people slowing down to look at the damage. Honestly, the damage you can see from I-35 is horrible but it's nothing compared to the neighborhoods that were completely wiped out. So many people lost everything. At work, I've dealt to several people who've been directly affected and each person's story has been very sad, heartfelt and touching. One guy said this was the third time his house was hit. He lost his home in the May 3, 1999 tornado. He rebuilt and then his roof was blown off by the tornado in 2003 and he's now lost his home completely in the May 20th tornado. He said 3 times was enough and he's made the decision to move out of Moore.

I was at home getting ready for work when the storm started and watched the entire thing form and grow bigger and bigger. It looked bad just watching it but I didn't start to get scared until the weatherman said "Folks, this looks like a May 3rd situation." He wasn't kidding.

One thing I'm grateful for is that I didn't move to Moore last year. I had the opportunity to move into a friend's home that he was renting out but (thankfully) things didn't work out. The home I was going to move into was in the direct path of the tornado. On tv the weatherman kept saying "Direct hit to the Warren Theater". When looking out of the backyard of that house you can see the Warren Theater right across Interstate 35. There was damage to that house (roof and windows) but the scary thing is that it was only 5 houses away from being completely destroyed. The first thing my mom said to me when she called to check on me that day was "I'm so glad you didn't move into that house." I'm so thankful and glad too. Had I moved there, I would've been home and getting ready for work.

One last thing, although I wasn't directly affected by the torndao I just want to say a huge THANK YOU to all that helped by donating. Your donation goes a long way into the recovery efforts. It's gonna be a long time for this community to rebuild and get back on it's feet but every little bit helps so thank you.

sad-cafe
07-08-2013, 02:48 PM
so glad you are safe

We were in the basement May 19 and are still dealing with a TON of house work. Roof, gutters, paint, windows, air conditioning and god knows what else. Not to mention car damage.

Bottom line, no one was injured.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-13-2013, 12:44 PM
I just realized I have never had a chance to read and reply to this thread. This is such a tragedy the way these people in Oklahoma have been hit by tornadoes this year (and other areas as well). Jess' post is very moving and really brings it home when you hear from someone that actually lives there. So even though I'm late in responding, I know it's really not too late to say a prayer for the victims - it will take many years for these communities to rebuild and my heart goes out to all of them.