PDA

View Full Version : need some comfort tonight

sad-cafe
05-20-2013, 11:14 PM
we live in tornado alley. Before I tell my tale, I need to say in the scheme of things we came out okay.

We had hailstones bigger than golf ball size. pelted the west side of our home. Beat it the hell up busted 'BAD lost 4 windows shattered glass all over my bed and bedroom floor and in any place it could be found. Roof needs replaced and this is going to be a f'n nightmare to dea with . Daugher's car is totaled and she only has libality. Her boyfriend's car is totalled. Took 4 hours to clean the glass out our bedroom . Our bed was covered with glass . Just through the sheets away. I always wanted to get some Carliloha sheets anyway . Now is my chance to get them.

Needless to say I am depressed and needed to see a picture of my guys to chear me up. You know I will be hiding in the Timothy B thead and then the Randy Mesner thread

sodascouts
05-20-2013, 11:18 PM
I'm so sorry you've had such damage. Thank God you and your loved ones are OK, but I know it will be tough!

:hug:

Witchy Woman
05-20-2013, 11:21 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this. My best wishes to you and your family.

cbecrad
05-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Goodness, so sorry to hear this. But glad you are still okay. *hugs*

NYC Fan
05-20-2013, 11:44 PM
SC-

So sorry for all the hassle and damage. So very scary. Glad you and yours were not hurt.

Outlawman13
05-20-2013, 11:46 PM
I'm so sorry SC:hug:!!!! My thoughts go out to your family. So sorry for all of the damage!!!

zeldabjr
05-20-2013, 11:47 PM
oh sad-cafe so sorry to hear about your home and the cars...but at least you're ok...that's the main thing...sending positive thoughts and prayers your way...:hug:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2013, 11:50 PM
Oh no, SC, I'm so very sorry to hear this. I will definitely keep you and your family in my thoughts and prayers, and definitely give a virtual hug. :grouphug:

sad-cafe
05-20-2013, 11:57 PM
we just don't even know what to do yet. Everytime we think we have found all the damage, we find more

Prettymaid
05-20-2013, 11:59 PM
I totally understand that you would want to vent and come here for a little TLC. I know, 'thank goodness it wasn't worse' doesn't cut it, because you have a big mess right now. I'm thinking of you and wishing you the best.

sad-cafe
05-21-2013, 12:31 AM
thank you all.

Going to have a good cry, then go to bed and then call the insurance company in the morning.

Turf
05-21-2013, 01:30 AM
I'm really sorry to hear about your situation, sad-cafe. I'll be wishing the best for you...

OutlawManNJ
05-21-2013, 01:47 AM
Its been a pretty crappy day all over the place. The good news is that you and your family are uninjured, the stuff can be replaced, people cant.

Grey Sadler
05-21-2013, 05:56 AM
:hug: SC

Tiffanny Twisted
05-21-2013, 06:25 AM
Its been a pretty crappy day all over the place. The good news is that you and your family are uninjured, the stuff can be replaced, people cant.
COuldnt have said it better myself.All the clean up and mess is just part of the journey to remind you that you all have your lives and not one was injured...I know its hard but you are irreplaceable ..matericla things can be..

prayers sent tt

SallyGee
05-21-2013, 06:26 AM
So sorry Sad Cafe. Glad everyone is OK.

TimothyBFan
05-21-2013, 07:14 AM
Sorry to hear that also, SC. Count your blessings that no one was harmed tho.

wasl89
05-21-2013, 09:04 AM
So sorry to hear this, luckily everybody's OK! My thoughts and prayers are with you and your family...:grouphug:

prayfordaylight
05-21-2013, 09:38 AM
I'm glad you're all okay. Best of luck with the cleanup.

Brooke
05-21-2013, 10:16 AM
s-c, I'm so sorry to hear about all your losses, but at least you and your family are ok. Lives can't be replaced, but the material things can. I know that doesn't help much, but it's true. Thoughts and prayers to you.

Troubadour
05-21-2013, 02:46 PM
Hugs to you. I'm sorry you have had some damage but I'm so glad you are safe.

GlennLover
05-21-2013, 07:03 PM
I am so thankful you were not injured! I will continue to pray for you and your family in the difficult days ahead. God is with you. He will get you through!

Topkat
05-21-2013, 08:02 PM
SC, I'm so sorry for the damages & loss of your property, but it is only "stuff" & that can be replaced.... You will deal with it the best you can. Take it one day at a time.....Just glad to hear you & your family weren't hurt...Sending hugs

Houston Baby
05-21-2013, 08:10 PM
SC - I am so sorry to hear about your damages. But I am also so relieved to hear that you & your loved ones are safe. I understand how frustrating dealing with the unexpected can be and it is perfectly normal to feel overwhelmed at times. Take one step at a time and it will all eventually get done. You and your family are in my prayers. :hug:

zeldabjr
05-21-2013, 09:15 PM
has anyone heard from sad-cafe today?...wondering how she is doing?...anyone have her on Facebook?

cricrichan
05-22-2013, 09:40 AM
I'm very sorry to hear about this, SC ... Hope all is well with you ...

cricrichan
05-22-2013, 09:42 AM
has anyone heard from sad-cafe today?...wondering how she is doing?...anyone have her on Facebook?

No, unfortunately I haven't her on FB ... :-( Hope it is alright!

Outlawman13
05-22-2013, 04:59 PM
I hope she is alright as well!!

WalshFan88
05-22-2013, 06:14 PM
SC, my thoughts and prayers are sent your way. Sorry to hear this.

sad-cafe
05-26-2013, 01:15 AM
Thank you all for your prayers and well wishes. In the midst of all this mess, we had to wrap up the school year. The insurance adjuster has been jacking us around and we finally got a committment to come appraise the damage on June the 1st. We have a great contractor who is going to meet with the adjuster and help us through it all. It has been a mess and we find more damage every day. It is too the point that we are just like, well add it to the list.

You are all right though that we are all alive and things can be fixed. It is just a hassle now that the shock has worn off. You wouldn't believe the "vultures" that are swarming. We get 3-5 people a day knocking on our door and wanting to tell us how they can fix our damage. Our contractor is going to put a sign in our yard and hopefully people will leave us alone.

While I was taking pictures of all the damage, one of our neighbors (who didn't seem to get much damage at all) wanted to bitch about our two boxers who bark at him while he mows his lawn. I lost it and went off on him. It was not very lady like and I am ashamed but really...

Thank you for letting me vent here and for all the comfort! I really appreciate this community! ya'all are awesome.

glenneaglesfan
05-26-2013, 01:44 AM
SC, I am totally sorry to hear about your problems. I hope the insurance people will be favourable.
I am completely with you about the support of fellow Borderers, they are helping me through difficult times as well.

zeldabjr
05-26-2013, 02:05 AM
oh sc I don't blame you for goin' off on your neighbor..geesh...thinking about you and hoping everything turns out ok for you...glad you have a good contractor...

Glennsallnighter
05-26-2013, 04:29 AM
Just read this thread now SC. like everybody has said I am so glad that you and your loved ones are safe, that's a big thing.

But I also understand how upsetting it must be to see your home that you have put so much love and work into being damaged so badly.

And neighbours moaning about trivia are very hard to take. Don't blame you venting.

I hope everything works ok with the assessor and the insurance company. Remember once you get a settlement there's no going back to try to have as much of the damage as possible itemised.

And hugs to you and your friends and family in these difficult times.

GEF! I'm so glad we have been of help to you. You are one of the many kind and genuine people that I have met on the Border.

sad-cafe
05-26-2013, 09:13 PM
I have a FB page, if you want me to add you message me your info :)

You are all AWESOME!

thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!

cricrichan
05-28-2013, 07:05 AM
Glad to hear from you again SC ... thinking about you everyday and hoping it will get better very soon ...

sad-cafe
05-28-2013, 02:05 PM
Thank you all for your kindness, prayers and words of comfort. Things seem to be moving along, later this week we will be getting the cost of damage and what all we have to pay. Our contractor thinks we will be getting a lot of work done and our cost should be no more than $1000.00

I hope things go as smoothly as he feels it will. Now it is just the hassle of taking care of it all. The shock has worn off and I am feeling better about things.

Brooke
05-28-2013, 03:47 PM
Here's hoping it all goes well for you s-c. That all has to be so terrible to have to go through.

zeldabjr
05-28-2013, 05:56 PM
SC...so glad you are feeling better...

sad-cafe
06-02-2013, 01:20 PM
Adjustor and contractor were here yesterday. Seems we have a LOT of damage. Things might work out pretty good though. Adjustor put down things like the sheets / comforter we had to through away because of glass. Our BBQ grill, Hot Tub cover and a bunch of things we hadn't even realized. Might get new carpet in my bedroom because the room is "contaminated" due to all the glass. We won't replace all of that but instead use the $ allowance to do say all the windows instead of just the 4 that were broken. They are going to power wash our fence to help the "aging" look. Getting all new trim, garage door, roof, guttering, painting the house after they sand down the cedar siding. Also our Central air unit has damage so they are going to "brush it out" and see if that helps it.

Aside from all the MESS this will entail, we might come out better than before. I feel so selfish thinking my life was so horrible because of all the damage when Moore got it so much worse, then they got it again.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-02-2013, 08:35 PM
Glad your outlook is better.
sometimes the shock wears off and u get past being numb.
Maybe new carpet is a good idea with all the glass that was strewn through it after all.. I will continue to pray for u. Stay safe and well

sad-cafe
06-02-2013, 08:40 PM
thanks,

adjustor brought the check by and it seems a little light for all the damage we have. Not sure how it is all going to work out now.

It might be a huge hassle

zeldabjr
06-02-2013, 08:45 PM
oh SC you do not need more hassles...hope it all works out for the best...:hug:

sad-cafe
06-02-2013, 09:34 PM
I know we have a deductible, but the check seems about 5 grand less than what we thought. I don't know how it all works but with all the damage they said, I don't see how it is all going to get done. We just don't have the money to do things from our own pocket. I just don't know how it is all going to work.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-02-2013, 09:35 PM
Prayers for no hassels for you:thumbsup:

cricrichan
06-05-2013, 01:00 PM
Prayers and hugs for you SC ... :hug:

sad-cafe
06-09-2013, 05:56 PM
so we got another check from the Insurance company. Seems they do house damage one funding and personal property another.

I "think" we are going to come out of this okay!

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers. It has been a trying experience.

Hopefully the severe storms are done for the season.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-09-2013, 06:10 PM
This is good news, SC!!

glenneaglesfan
06-09-2013, 06:44 PM
SC, I hope the cheque comes through and you are able to pick up the pieces.

cricrichan
06-10-2013, 02:43 PM
So glad the situation is getting a bit better SC ...

Houston Baby
06-10-2013, 03:07 PM
I'm happy for you SC as it sounds like this has worked out ok. I'll keep my fingers crossed!

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 03:51 PM
we are meeting with our contractor this week to discuss specific things.

We know Roof and guttering is first priority. Next is paint and windows. I might have 4 "odd" new windows until we can afford to do the rest. This house has 24 windows. It may take a while but the 4 specific ones have to be replaced due to the hail.

The contractor will probably drop the big dumpster in our driveway end of the month.

zeldabjr
06-10-2013, 04:35 PM
oh SC...so glad about the second check...would have been nice if they had told you they did it in two checks...so happy things are looking up!!!

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 04:54 PM
oh SC...so glad about the second check...would have been nice if they had told you they did it in two checks...so happy things are looking up!!!

yes, it would have! We had no idea and we have been here 15 years. Never had a huge claim like this before. Hopefully never again as well.

They included $ for the sheets and comforter we had to toss due to glass. Also included to replace hubbys BBQ grill. We decided that we will use that money to help with windows to get new ones and not just a reglazing. Hubby promised that I can get some Cariloha sheets after things stabilize.

Midnight_Flyer
06-10-2013, 05:46 PM
the stuff can be replaced, people cant.

so true.....sending hugs your way SC, thinking of you all

here is a pic to cheer you up :)

http://www.toledoblade.com/image/2010/10/17/800x_b1_cCM_z/The-Eagles-Storied-band-lands-in-Toledo-Wednesday.jpg

sad-cafe
06-10-2013, 08:19 PM
oh that is an awesome picture. Thank you!!!:thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
06-11-2013, 07:27 AM
so we got another check from the Insurance company. Seems they do house damage one funding and personal property another.

I "think" we are going to come out of this okay!

Thank you again for all your thoughts and prayers. It has been a trying experience.

Hopefully the severe storms are done for the season.

That is the main thing, and once again I am so glad that there was no loss of life and that nobody was seriously injured.

Midnight_Flyer
06-11-2013, 04:42 PM
oh that is an awesome picture. Thank you!!!:thumbsup:

no problem :)

Tiffanny Twisted
06-11-2013, 09:14 PM
Ok I am so loving the picture.
Sc so glad things aremoving inthe right direction
Tt

Brooke
06-12-2013, 09:40 AM
s-c glad to hear things are looking up for you! Hang in there!

sad-cafe
06-15-2013, 03:26 PM
Now we are waiting on the mortgage company to send back the endorsed check. The work should get started within a week once the check gets here. It will likely be a mad house when the work starts. The dogs will go nuts too.

cricrichan
06-16-2013, 10:55 AM
Hope the works will start as soon as possible, so that you will finally come out of this situation ... :hug:

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2013, 04:36 AM
Yes, please God!

sad-cafe
06-18-2013, 11:20 PM
we may get the roof done this weekend.

Contractor says roof has to be first because of throwing shingles and stuff, don't want to mess up the paint or the new windows.

Neighbors across the street started work on their roof today. Several roofs in our block have been or need replaced. It is funny to drive down the streets and see all the signs for roofers and contractors. They are going to be busy for a long time.

Grey Sadler
06-18-2013, 11:22 PM
Glad to hear the repairs are beginning!! :thumbsup:

sad-cafe
06-18-2013, 11:36 PM
contractor says they will strip the roof and put down the bottom layer on Saturday and finish it on Sunday!

Then they will work on windows and trim and guttering and then paint the house last. We are trying to decide if we want the same color of paint or if we want to go a little darker.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2013, 11:56 PM
contractor says they will strip the roof and put down the bottom layer on Saturday and finish it on Sunday!

Then they will work on windows and trim and guttering and then paint the house last. We are trying to decide if we want the same color of paint or if we want to go a little darker.

I hope the weather holds out and is good! I replaced the garage roof in August of 2007. Black felt and dark gray shingles in 100+ degree heat, that was a miserable weekend. Then the house roof got replaced in Feb. 2010, right after 'snowmaggedeon'. Shoveled off three feet of snow before the old shingles came off. I didn't have to get on the roof for that one, for which I was glad, but I had to pick up the old shingles while walking across ice!

Contractors aren't very careful about things. I bought a big magnet on a stick at Home Depot to go around my yard and get all the roofing nails before the tires of the lawn mower found them. It was about $20 and a great investment. You might want to think about doing the same when they're done, SC.

Outlawman13
06-18-2013, 11:58 PM
So glad that the contractors are starting to work on your house SC!!!! I just hope all will be fine soon. :hug:SC

Houston Baby
06-19-2013, 12:36 AM
SC - sounds like things are finally moving along. Hope it continues & they get finished quickly. :pray:

sad-cafe
06-19-2013, 01:42 AM
I hope the weather holds out and is good! I replaced the garage roof in August of 2007. Black felt and dark gray shingles in 100+ degree heat, that was a miserable weekend. Then the house roof got replaced in Feb. 2010, right after 'snowmaggedeon'. Shoveled off three feet of snow before the old shingles came off. I didn't have to get on the roof for that one, for which I was glad, but I had to pick up the old shingles while walking across ice!

Contractors aren't very careful about things. I bought a big magnet on a stick at Home Depot to go around my yard and get all the roofing nails before the tires of the lawn mower found them. It was about $20 and a great investment. You might want to think about doing the same when they're done, SC.

Thanks everyone. VA, that is an awesome idea!

sad-cafe
06-19-2013, 03:30 PM
They dropped the shingles and tar paper and all the supplies off this morning. So glad things are starting to get done.

cricrichan
06-19-2013, 04:14 PM
They dropped the shingles and tar paper and all the supplies off this morning. So glad things are starting to get done.

Very happy to hear that, SC :thumbsup:

Tiffanny Twisted
06-20-2013, 06:29 AM
Yeah ...glad things are moving along . still sending prayers

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 02:39 PM
The ROOF is done!

next week, they will be powerwashing the house...I guess that is the new method of scraping. Then paint, then gutters then windows.

Oh and we could get severe storms tonight:shh:

Houston Baby
06-27-2013, 02:47 PM
Sounds like you got the new roof just in time!

And you're just full of good news today SC! That is great!! I am so happy everything is working out on the house.

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 02:58 PM
thank you!

I am so glad things are going smoothly. That is not the norm for me so I keep an eye on "the other shoe"

zeldabjr
06-27-2013, 03:28 PM
The ROOF is done!

next week, they will be powerwashing the house...I guess that is the new method of scraping. Then paint, then gutters then windows.

Oh and we could get severe storms tonight:shh:

YAY sc :yay: glad to hear !!!...hope those storms stay away!

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 03:51 PM
me too. The weather alarm just went off

Brooke
06-27-2013, 04:28 PM
Great news s-c! Hope the storms stay away.

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 05:33 PM
me too. they terrify me. I live in KS and hate tornadoes. I should move hehe

Outlawman13
06-27-2013, 05:44 PM
So glad that things are going well for you Pam!!! The storms need to go the other direction!

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 08:19 PM
it is storming right now.

60-75 mile and hour winds. So far that is the worst part. There is a shelf cloud but the weather guy says shouldn't develop into anything.

Tiffanny Twisted
06-27-2013, 08:35 PM
Sc prayers coming your way

sad-cafe
06-27-2013, 08:53 PM
Thank you.

Seems the worst is over. It cooled down like 30degrees in the last hour and it is pretty nice. Still windy but not as bad as it was. Had to check and make sure my fence was still up before I let the dogs out.

cricrichan
07-01-2013, 06:25 PM
Glad the worst is over, SC. My thoughts and prayers are with you every day :hug:

Outlawman13
07-01-2013, 06:29 PM
You are in my prayers Pam.

sad-cafe
07-02-2013, 05:37 PM
thanks guys.

Seems like we get two steps forward only to take a step back.

Roof is complete, the house is scrapped and caulked and ready to paint.

last night we discovered some kind of drain pipe in our basement is leaking. has been for a while. Got a corner in the basement that is really gross and have lost a lot of papers and stuff. Not too terrible on what we lost, tax papers and such but another mess to fix and clean. I can't get a break

So I am just gonna :soda: and try not to worry.

sad-cafe
07-11-2013, 12:06 AM
Roof done

Painting done

Gutters done

all that is left is the windows~!

It has been a journey but the house looks good.

sad-cafe
07-11-2013, 12:07 AM
thank you all for your love and support during this. It has been a journey!

Glennsallnighter
07-11-2013, 02:51 AM
You are so welcome SC! That's what we are here for.... :hug:

Brooke
07-11-2013, 09:34 AM
I'm glad everything is getting done and your life is getting back on track.

sodascouts
07-11-2013, 11:39 AM
Glad things are going well!

cricrichan
07-11-2013, 05:19 PM
thank you all for your love and support during this. It has been a journey!

You're very welcome, SC! So glad to hear the good news :D

glenneaglesfan
07-11-2013, 05:27 PM
SC, glad you've managed to fix things.

Troubadour
07-11-2013, 05:50 PM
So glad you're back on the right track, SC, and things are looking brighter!

Outlawman13
07-11-2013, 05:56 PM
I'm so glad that everything is working out for you Pam!!! Still keeping you in my prayers.

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Everything from the storm damage is DONE!

SO very thankful.

funny story : In our bedroom, we lost one window and have two in our room. so we were not thinking when we set up the repairs we now have one really pretty clean new window and one 46 year old window that for years I couldn't get clean. Now I understand I could scrub it all I wanted but it is 46 years old and will never look new and pristine. We kick ourself because it would have only cost us 300 bucks and both windows would be the same.

Live and learn I guess

sodascouts
08-04-2013, 06:02 PM
Glad things are back to normal!

Glennsallnighter
08-04-2013, 06:07 PM
Great that you are sorted. In a way that older window is a tribute to the overall survival of the house in a situation where it could have been levelled!

sad-cafe
08-04-2013, 06:55 PM
that is a very good way to look at it!

Brooke
08-13-2013, 02:58 PM
s-c, you should share a picture of your newly renovated house! I'd love to see it!

Great news it's all done! I'm sure you are glad!

Houston Baby
08-13-2013, 08:58 PM
SC- I'm so happy for you that everything worked out well on the house!

GA- I just saw what you said, what a beautiful sentiment regarding the old window.

sad-cafe
08-16-2013, 10:33 PM
s-c, you should share a picture of your newly renovated house! I'd love to see it!

Great news it's all done! I'm sure you are glad!

when I learn how to do picts I will