PDA

View Full Version : Movies You Never Tire Of Watching

Witchy Woman
05-26-2013, 07:22 PM
As I'm sitting here watching Forrest Gump for the umpteenth time, I started thinking about all the movies that compel me to stop and watch, no matter how many times I've seen them. Mine are:

Auntie Mame
Willy Wonka & The Chocolate Factory
Love Actually
Forrest Gump
Pillow Talk
Lover Come Back
That Touch Of Mink
Kill Bill Vol.1
Fast Times At Ridgemont High

I'm sure there are others I'm forgetting. How about you ?

Prettymaid
05-26-2013, 07:46 PM
Great topic!

Sometimes I find myself rewatching a movie that I've seen a gazillion times and DON'T want to watch, but can't seem to pull myself away. But here are some good ones.

Dirty Dancing
Steel Magnolias
Fried Green Tomatoes

Freypower
05-26-2013, 08:06 PM
Movies I never tire of are my favourite movies. I don't have a separate list.

They include:

Gone With The Wind
Citizen Kane
My Fair Lady
Monty Python & the Holy Grail
Monty Python's Life Of Brian
Butch Cassidy & the Sundance Kid
The Sting
Tootsie
Amadeus
Singin' In The Rain
Unforgiven
This Is Spinal Tap
All The President's Men
Anne Of The Thousand Days
The Verdict
One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest

Tiffanny Twisted
05-26-2013, 08:14 PM
Patty,

lol I feel the same about Forrest Gump

off the top of my head....

Godfather Parts 1 and 2

Funny Girl (although JAHH can be seen running from the room)

Some Like It hot

West Side Story

thats just off the top of my head and I see maybe ww you are a DOris day fan

Troubadour
05-26-2013, 08:36 PM
Off the top of my head...

Lost in Translation
The Godfather
Life of Brian
Three Men and a Baby/Little Lady
A Star is Born
Pretty Woman
Dirty Dancing
Sideways
A Lot Like Love
Crazy Heart
Walk the Line

zeldabjr
05-26-2013, 08:38 PM
great topic...

the ones that pop into my head right away are

Dial M For Murder
Vertigo
Rear Window
That Touch of Mink
Pillow Talk

Prettymaid
05-27-2013, 12:55 AM
Troub reminded me of Sideways. Every time it's on TV we watch it. In fact, I'm just remembering that we bought it several years ago!

Outlawman13
05-27-2013, 01:15 AM
I have so many, but the ones that I'm thinking of right now:
The Producers
Some Like It Hot
Grumpy Old Men
Grumpier Old Men
The Shining
Gentlemen Prefer Blondes
Groundhog Day
Thelma and Louise
The Holy Grail
Joy Ride
Willy Wonka and the Chocolate Factory
Anything by The Marx Brothers
Anything by Gene Wilder
Easy Rider
Beatlejuice
Babe
and more. LOL

WalshFan88
05-27-2013, 02:10 AM
Where do I start?! :lol:

Almost all Adam Sandler movies
Dumb and Dumber
Ted
Step Brothers
American Pie
Meet The Parents
Meet The Fockers
Tommy Boy
Dodgeball
Old School
Elf
As Good As It Gets
Twister
Wedding Crashers
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Miracle On 34th Street
Austin Powers (all of them)
Home Alone 1 and 2
My Cousin Vinny
Beverly Hills Cop
The Hangover
Rain Man
Erin Brokovich
National Lampoon's Animal House
Easy Rider
Grumpy and Grumpier Old Men
A Beautiful Mind
Bad Santa
There's Something About Mary
Fletch and Fletch Lives
Superbad
Secondhand Lions
Anchorman
Weekend At Bernie's

UK TimFan
05-27-2013, 04:57 AM
There are a lot of films that I can watch repeatedly and enjoy each time, but these are the ones I could happily watch every single day.

Witness
Pretty woman ("She said she liked it better than 'The pirates of Penzance'" has me in stitches every time.)
Gone with the wind
While you were sleeping
Some like it hot
The Thomas Crown affair - the original with Steve McQueen
Barefoot in the park (when they climb the stairs to their flat it reminds me when I lived on the top floor and had four flights of stairs to climb!)
Singing in the rain
Disney's Peter Pan and The aristocats (so very clever, with humour which can be enjoyed by adults and children on different levels)
Disney's Snow White - the detail when the dwarves' house is being cleaned is just incredible.
The American president
How to murder your wife
Carry on Cleo
Alfie (the original with Michael Caine)
West Side story

EaglesKiwi
05-27-2013, 05:01 AM
Anne Of The Thousand Days

Oh, I remember watching that back when I was in high school! Must get it out again...

Some of mine are:

The Princess Bride
Dragonheart (Sean Connery's voice could stop me anytime, anywhere)
Love, Actually (Alan Rickman, Colin Firth and Liam Neeson in one movie - total yumminess - and Bill Nighy's festering turd of a record !)
Notting Hill - the scene set to "She"

UK TimFan
05-27-2013, 06:21 AM
Notting Hill - the scene set to "She"
That's a thread in itself. :laugh:
'Are you guilty of having a scene in a film permanently 'marked'?' And don't anyone even think of saying :nope: because none of us will believe you. :smile:

Brooke
05-27-2013, 10:10 AM
I'm not one to grab on to a movie and start watching in the middle, so I rarely just sit down and start in watching one if it's already started. If I can catch it just starting, then I will, but it's really hard for me to take the time.

A few off the top of my head:

Romeo and Juliet-the one from the 70's with Olivia Hussey
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Sleepless in Seattle
Legends of the Fall
Dances With Wolves
Forrest Gump

I just watched A Star Is Born a couple weeks ago.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-27-2013, 10:17 AM
legends of the fall ...good one ...cant pass up brad pit

Houston Baby
05-27-2013, 03:12 PM
Great thread idea WW!!
A few of mine are:

Jaws (We're gonna need a bigger boat!)
Meet Me in St Louis
Singing in the Rain
The Way We Were
Seems Like Old Times
Rear Window
High Society
The Final Countdown
The Deep
Jerry Maguire (love:heart: the guy who plays the owner of the football team :hilarious:)
National Lampoon's Christmas Vacation
Elf

And I love baseball movies -
Bull Durham
Field of Dreams
A League of their Own
Bad News Bears (the original with Tatum O'Neal)

Tiffanny Twisted
05-27-2013, 06:31 PM
A league of their own(is she crying???theres no crying in baseball) a great movie

Freypower
05-27-2013, 07:30 PM
I'm not one to grab on to a movie and start watching in the middle, so I rarely just sit down and start in watching one if it's already started. If I can catch it just starting, then I will, but it's really hard for me to take the time.

A few off the top of my head:

Romeo and Juliet-the one from the 70's with Olivia Hussey
The Outlaw Josey Wales
Sleepless in Seattle
Legends of the Fall
Dances With Wolves
Forrest Gump

I just watched A Star Is Born a couple weeks ago.

That version of R&J is just wonderful as is the same director's Taming Of The Shrew with Taylor & Burton.

I would have put Godfather I & II on my list if I had seen them more often. I have the box set & I need to watch it.

Freypower
05-27-2013, 07:35 PM
That's a thread in itself. :laugh:
'Are you guilty of having a scene in a film permanently 'marked'?' And don't anyone even think of saying :nope: because none of us will believe you. :smile:

There is one scene I will mention & the film isn't even on my list, though perhaps it should be. Fever Pitch (British version) after Arsenal have beaten Liverpool for the 1991 championship (yes, that's right; I love the film even though that happens) & Ruth Gemmell finds herself in the streets of Highbury (near Arsenal's old home ground) surrounded by rejoicing Arsenal fans, to the tune of Van Morrison's Bright Side Of The Road. Eventually Colin Firth as the obsessed Arsenal fan who had broken up with her because she couldn't handle the Arsenal stuff, turns up & they reconcile. She is wearing a red & white spotted dress (of course). It's a wonderful scene for those of us who love football. I do like the romantic part too; normally I don't watch 'rom coms' or 'chick flicks'.

The scene in My Fair Lady where they are about to go to the Embassy Ball & Higgins is about to walk out the door when he suddenly turns back & offers his arm to Eliza. Cue music. It gets me every time & it is when Higgins starts to realise Eliza does mean something to him (although when he dances with her during The Rain In Spain, that breaks the ice).

Houston Baby
05-27-2013, 08:05 PM
A league of their own(is she crying???theres no crying in baseball) a great movie

That line is timeless TT! Tom Hanks was so right for that role!

zeldabjr
05-27-2013, 08:21 PM
oh I forgot...must add "Titanic" and "Chocolat" to my list!

sad-cafe
05-27-2013, 09:20 PM
Titanic
Forrest Gump
Steel Magnolias
The Green Mile
Remember The Titans
The Blind Side
Radio
Apollo 13

sodascouts
05-27-2013, 10:41 PM
Good topic!

Mine are:

Star Wars (any one of the original trilogy)
Raiders of the Lost Ark (and The Last Crusade, but not the other two)
Pride and Prejudice (the Firth/Ehle version)
Much Ado About Nothing (Branagh's version)
Henry V (Branagh's version)
Shakespeare in Love
Star Trek II, IV, and VI
Dirty Dancing
Pretty Woman
Sixteen Candles
Back to the Future
Die Hard
When Harry Met Sally
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
The Princess Bride
National Lampoon's Vacation (the original one)
Forrest Gump
It's a Wonderful Life
Gone with the Wind
Ben-Hur

You might notice a dearth of newer movies... we have yet to see if those will stand the test of time!

sad-cafe
05-27-2013, 11:43 PM
oh I LOVE Dirty Dancing, Next of Kin, Road House

We also watch Christmas Vacation every Thanksgiving!

Outlawman13
05-28-2013, 12:40 AM
LOL the Vacation movies are so funny!!! Love Chevy Chase.

EaglesKiwi
05-28-2013, 04:44 AM
I forgot Dirty Dancing... and Star Trek First Contact. (Picard & the Borg. Enough said!!).

cricrichan
05-28-2013, 07:17 AM
Great topic WW :) Mine are:

Back to the Future
Home Alone
Memoirs of a Geisha
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
The whole Harry Potter saga
Inception
Dumb and Dumber

Outlawman13
05-28-2013, 02:26 PM
I totally forgot about Howl's Moving Castle. Thank you for reminding me Cricrichan

Henley Honey
06-18-2013, 02:05 PM

That line or . . .
Marla Hootch -- what a hitter.

Or,
What do you recommend? A lot of night games.

Henley Honey
06-18-2013, 02:07 PM
The Last Of The Mohicans (Daniel Day-Lewis version)
Peggy Sue Got Married
Goodfellas
Beetlejuice
Forrest Gump (Me and Jenny are like peas and carrots) (Run Forrest, Run!!)
A League of Their Own
Mask
March of the Wooden Soldiers
Wizard of Oz

Topkat
06-18-2013, 04:06 PM
Some of my favorites are:

School of Rock; I just loved this movie!
ET
St. Elmo's Fire
Dirty Dancing
Saturday Night Fever
When Harry Met Sally
The Shining
Risky Business
The Godfather & anything with Al Pacino
Sea of Love
The Fabulous Baker Boys

Topkat
06-18-2013, 04:40 PM
Wait, I forgot a few

Splendor in the Grass
Butterfield 8
Who's Afraid of Virginia Wolf
Woodstock
A Place In the Sun
Rear Window
Interview With the Vampire
The Outsiders
West Side Story

Glennsallnighter
06-23-2013, 12:05 PM
Grease
Gone With The Wind
The Sound of Music

Brother Bear! Lol I'm sure there are more!

glenneaglesfan
06-23-2013, 05:57 PM
GA, I'm glad you mentioned Sound of Music. I first went to see that on a school trip when I was about 10, and still shed a tear every time!

Any James Bond film
The Hunt for Red October
The Rock
Men in Black
Monty Python and the Holy Grail
Love Actually
Mamma Mia
Calendar Girls
Toy Story
The Lion in Winter
A Man For All Seasons
Lawrence of Arabia
Life of Pi

and any film involving animals, Born Free, The Incredible Journey, Free Willy etc.

Outlawman13
06-26-2013, 12:08 AM
I have a few more:
A Lion In Winter (thank you GEF. I forgot about that one)
Magic
Silence Of The Lambs
The Shinning

TimothyBFan
06-26-2013, 08:00 AM
Very top of my list is one I can recite every line of.....

Tombstone
St Elmo's Fire
It's A Wonderful Life
Bridges Of Madison County
What's Eating Gilbert Grape

Brooke
06-26-2013, 09:59 AM
LOVE Tombstone! Kurt Russel and Val Kilmer and Sam Elliott-triple love! Great movie!

Prettymaid
06-26-2013, 12:25 PM
I'll have to watch it. I shy away from Westerns. It must be because I'm such a girly-girl. :lie: ;-)

Troubadour
06-26-2013, 01:21 PM
A recent Western movie that I love is Open Range. It's slow-paced and romantic and I love the scenery and the friendship between the characters that Robert Duvall and Kevin Costner play. I think Costner directed it.

Prettymaid
06-26-2013, 07:34 PM
Yep, that's another one I've heard is good.

TimothyBFan
06-27-2013, 08:15 AM
I'll have to watch it. I shy away from Westerns. It must be because I'm such a girly-girl. :lie: ;-)

OMG!!! You have to watch it!!! It's awesome! Val Kilmer is amazing in it! Then you also have Sam Elliott, Kurt Russell, Powers Booth, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Billy Zane, Jason Priestly, Thomas Haden Church, John Corbett.... The list goes on and on. Watch it and let me know how you like it.

BTW--- I have a signed script by several of the members. Got it as a gift with the certificate of authenticity and all. Love it!!

Brooke
06-27-2013, 10:25 AM
OMG!!! You have to watch it!!! It's awesome! Val Kilmer is amazing in it! Then you also have Sam Elliott, Kurt Russell, Powers Booth, Michael Biehn, Bill Paxton, Billy Bob Thornton, Billy Zane, Jason Priestly, Thomas Haden Church, John Corbett.... The list goes on and on. Watch it and let me know how you like it.

BTW--- I have a signed script by several of the members. Got it as a gift with the certificate of authenticity and all. Love it!!

I couldn't say more! A must see! Really, Val Kilmer is all I needed! He is awesome!

But I love westerns!

Prettymaid
06-27-2013, 12:43 PM
Ok! I will watch!

zeldabjr
06-27-2013, 04:21 PM

I've never seen it either...wow that is a cool gift Willie!

Brooke
06-27-2013, 04:31 PM
Oh my gosh! You haven't seen it either? Where have you two been? :rofl:

Outlawman13
06-27-2013, 05:19 PM
Tombstone is a very amazing movie. I love Val Kilmer in it.

zeldabjr
06-27-2013, 06:13 PM

I'm not a western girl I guess...except for a few Desperados!

Outlawman13
06-27-2013, 06:20 PM
LOL I don't really like westerns either, but I love Tombstone and Goin' South with Jack Nicholson. That one just makes me laugh way too much!!!

Prettymaid
06-27-2013, 09:04 PM

I've been being a girlie-girl. :grin:

Brooke
06-28-2013, 10:05 AM
I've been being a girlie-girl. :grin:

I'm pretty much a girlie-girl too, but I love my cowboys! :lol:

Glennsallnighter
07-02-2013, 06:55 AM
I should add 'A Few Good Men' here, I love it!!

Prettymaid
07-02-2013, 08:39 AM
I need to add 500 Days of Summer. It's a lighthearted movie, and every time I come across it I want to watch until the end. I love Zooey Deschanel. She's adorable in this one!

Troubadour
07-02-2013, 09:36 AM
I haven't seen 500 Days of Summer yet. Must check it out!

Prettymaid
07-02-2013, 09:46 AM
I haven't seen 500 Days of Summer yet. Must check it out!

I think you'll love it!

lizzyplays
07-09-2013, 09:54 AM

I can't start mid-movie either!!! I have friends (and two ex boyfriends) that do and did that and it drives me insane!! ESPECIALLY, if I have never seen the movie! I want to see the entire movie, not the ending! Ugh, I could rant about this for hours... but, I won't. :-)

I have a short attention span and unless a movie grabs me immediately, I'm pretty much done with it.

lizzyplays
07-09-2013, 10:19 AM
As stated above, I'm not much of a movie person but I tend to gravitate toward gangster/mafia movies for some reason. :stunned:

Godfather
Pulp Fiction
Goodfellas
Scarface
Reservoir Dogs

Tarantino movies

Johnny Depp movies

Hitchcock movies such as:
Rear Window
Vertigo
North By Northwest
Dial M For Murder
To Catch A Thief

Classics such as:
Sunset Blvd
Citizen Kane
Casablanca
12 Angry Men
Rebel Without A Cause
On The Waterfront

I absolutely can't stand modern-day super special effects types of movies. Yes, I am weird.

There are a few others I like but I just can't think of them at the moment.

Brooke
07-09-2013, 03:52 PM
I absolutely can't stand modern-day super special effects types of movies. Yes, I am weird.

No you're not! I don't like them either. I did watch Cowboys and Aliens thinking it would be a good western......too much aliens! :lol:

I just can't get in to all the weird, fantasy type movies like the whole Harry Potter series. Even Spiderman and Batman movies are just too unbelievable for me. It has to be more real and true to life.

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 05:08 PM
I have always loved movies. I hate to blame Hubby, but it seems like we watch fewer and fewer movies together. He does not like going out to see a movie. I don't get it. :shrug: When we were dating we went to the movies often, but after we got married he said he doesn't like going. I told him that was false advertising. :hilarious: He'll go if I beg, but honestly, we only go 2 - 3 times a year. Unfortunately, it's one of those things that happen in a marriage. We both try to compromise on things, but in reality it doesn't always work that way.

Troubadour
07-09-2013, 05:11 PM
When we were dating we went to the movies often, but after we got married he said he doesn't like going. I told him that was false advertising. :hilarious:

LOL! I love going to the cinema, too. I'll pretty much watch anything at the cinema. The problem is it's so flippin' expensive over here!

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 06:45 PM
LOL! I love going to the cinema, too. I'll pretty much watch anything at the cinema. The problem is it's so flippin' expensive over here!

Although he won't come out and admit it, I think that's part of the issue for him, too.

lizzyplays
07-10-2013, 12:11 AM
No you're not! I don't like them either. I did watch Cowboys and Aliens thinking it would be a good western......too much aliens! :lol:

I just can't get in to all the weird, fantasy type movies like the whole Harry Potter series. Even Spiderman and Batman movies are just too unbelievable for me. It has to be more real and true to life.

Same here!! I don't like any of those!!

I've noticed that besides our lust and preference for long-haired Glenn, we have a lot of other things in common too! I can't remember exactly, but I do recall a couple of times when I thought to myself "Oh, Brooke thinks like I do!" :-)

Brooke
07-10-2013, 10:22 AM
Same here!! I don't like any of those!!

I've noticed that besides our lust and preference for long-haired Glenn, we have a lot of other things in common too! I can't remember exactly, but I do recall a couple of times when I thought to myself "Oh, Brooke thinks like I do!" :-)

Haha! Maybe we are long lost twin sisters of a different mother! :lol:

SteveJoburg
07-10-2013, 11:34 AM
My wife and I seldom go to the movies, but watch plenty at home... We started collecting on DVD some years ago and that's migrated to Blu Ray. We love pretty much the same kind of movies too which really helps. Some movies get repeated viewings like:

Grumpy Old Men/Grumpier Old Men (Found a brilliant American print Blu Ray which has both movies on one disc... We still laugh out loud at the funny bits, and cry like babies in the sad bits... Proof positive that you don't need young pretty actors to make a hit movie)

Glengarry Glen Ross (As a salesman for close to 20 years, I can relate and never tire of watching this... A solid gold cast, incredible dialogue, and Alec Baldwin floors you every time...)

Love Actually/Four Weddings & A Funeral (Really, nobody makes movies like this better than the Brits... You never get tired or look away in a single second of either of these)

The Unforgiven (My personal favourite Western... Eastwood's most believable Western character and star performances from Morgan Freeman and Gene Hackman)

Back To The Future Trilogy (Who doesn't love these movies? My friends and I still quote lines from this to this day... "We need 1.21 gigawatts!!!")

Shawshank Redemption/The Green Mile (As huge Stephen King fans, these are two incredible movies and arguably the two best screen adaptations of SK stories)

Joe Vs The Volcano (Love Tom Hanks, and he has made many great movies, but this is my favourite... It seems so fluffy and light at first but the amount of symbolism and hidden meaning increases after repeat viewings)

Cry Freedom (Great movie, great performances by Kevin Kline and Denzel Washington, and the first movie I saw in which an American actor playing a South African really sounded like a South African, down to Kline even saying a few words in Afrikaans. The only person to top that recently was Leo Di Caprio in Blood Diamond)

The Bourne Trilogy (The movies that made the creators of the Bond franchise go back and do some more homework. Matt Damon is incredible in these)

Almost Famous (Great 'music' movie, some great scenes, and... Kate Hudson's smile...)

Carlito's Way (All time favourite Pacino movie...)

Last, but not least, As Good As It Gets (Jack Nicholson gets to deliver some of his best lines... "Good times, noodle salad")

I'll remember more in 5 minutes but if the movies on this list were all we were left with, I'd have no complaints... :)

Brooke
07-10-2013, 02:45 PM
Great list Steve! I'd have to agree with you on most of those! :thumbsup:

Troubadour
07-10-2013, 03:39 PM
Yes, great list! I love all of those movies, especially Almost Famous and Carlito's Way. The acting in Glengarry Glen Ross is explosive! Cry Freedom is also amazing.

cricrichan
07-15-2013, 02:46 PM
Great topic WW :) Mine are:

Back to the Future
Home Alone
Memoirs of a Geisha
Spirited Away
Howl's Moving Castle
The whole Harry Potter saga
Inception
Dumb and Dumber

I forgot The Godfather's saga! How could I have forgotten that??? Al Pacino is my favourite actor, LOL :nahnah: