PDA

View Full Version : Simply the Best!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-08-2007, 01:11 AM
I was sorting through some old books and happened across my copy of "You'll Never Make Love in This Town Again" aka 'The Hooker Book." Of course, I couldn't resist the temptation to turn to pages 194 -196 and refresh my memory of what is simply the best. Everytime I read this I am rendered speechless. Has everyone had an opportunity to read this literary treasure? :blush: :applause: :partytime:

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 01:14 AM
Um. Yeah. I've read it alright.

:blush:

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2007, 04:22 AM
Oh yes :D So have I :blush: Absolutely 'Simply the best' :wink: oh Help :D What else can I say? except that I wouldn't mind a 'Command Performance of the highest Caliber' myself :inlove:. And I didn't have to reread it. I think I've committed every word (and image :blush: ) to memory!

glenneaglesfan
07-08-2007, 06:52 AM
Er, yes, a few times maybe. :blush:

I'd like to post an intelligently written critique of this piece of writing, the characterisations, the build up of the plot and the denouement (careful choice of wording here), but I think I must read it again first.

DonFan
07-08-2007, 03:09 PM
I've read the book too, Dreamer, but I wouldn't exactly call it a" literary treasure."
Glenn fans may love it, but believe me, Don fans think it is a POS.

sodascouts
07-08-2007, 04:09 PM
I've read the book too, Dreamer, but I wouldn't exactly call it a" literary treasure."

Understood. I like to pretend those parts don't exist. And we know that Stevie has given Don more favorable reviews when it comes to "undoing the laces" so.... ;)

EasyFeeling
07-08-2007, 04:20 PM
Oooooooh, the Hooker Book :twisted: I've never read the entire book but of course the Glenn chapter *siiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiigh* :D :drool: :inlove:

DonFan
07-08-2007, 08:21 PM
And we know that Stevie has given Don more favorable reviews when it comes to "undoing the laces" so.... ;)

Now there's a visual for you..... :smokin:

07-08-2007, 11:58 PM

I only meant Glenn's chapter was a literary treasure. Quite honestly, the only chapters I read were Don and Glenn's. I don't know if the rest of the book is any good or not. :shock: :D

GEF - I can't wait for that review! :wink:

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 12:04 AM

I only meant Glenn's chapter was a literary treasure. Quite honestly, the only chapters I read were Don and Glenn's. I don't know if the rest of the book is any good or not. :shock: :D

I did read the whole thing on a rainy day once. There are a lot of sad and even scary stories in there. It was depressing. Glenn's chapter was seriously the only romantic story in the entire book. Guess it shouldn't be too surprising - high-class or not, the life of a prostitute is not a fairy tale.

Mrs Frey
07-09-2007, 06:58 AM

GEF - I can't wait for that review! :wink:

Sorry, DF, may I ask: what is a "POS"? I'm not up with all the acronyms, yet! :blush:

Dreamer, is Don in there too? :shock:

GEF, I just had to laugh when I read your response to this thread! :lol: You are a bad girl! :wink: And GA, you're even "badder" (excuse the grammar), for want of a better word! :wink:

In all seriousness: after a certain kind (and naughty :wink: ) person let me in on a section of the Glenn :heart: chapter (I haven't seen the book), I admit that I was shocked :shock:, considering that I'm quite a conservative girl :blush:, but afterwards I felt sad for Glenn :heart:. I felt sorry for the prostitute too, in all honesty, but mostly for Glenn :heart:. Anyway, I don't want to say too much here (and I'm probably getting a bit serious now, too - sorry... :blush: )

07-09-2007, 09:54 AM
Mrs. F - I think DF's POS must mean piece of $hit, but she can correct me if I'm wrong. There are actually two chapters in the book about Don, but to say the least, they aren't very flattering, which is why Don fans are probably not quite as enthusiatic over the book as Glenn fans.

The only thing I really feel sorry about for Glenn, Don, and any of the men mentioned in the book is that their main reason for hiring prostitutes in the first place is because they were no doubt paying these woman for their discretion. Let's face it - these guys don't have to pay for sex. The hookers took their money, and then violated this trust.

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 11:01 AM
The only thing I really feel sorry about for Glenn, Don, and any of the men mentioned in the book is that their main reason for hiring prostitutes in the first place is because they were no doubt paying these woman for their discretion. Let's face it - these guys don't have to pay for sex. The hookers took their money, and then violated this trust.

I can't really even feel sorry for them there. If you do something as sordid as hire a prostitute, high-class or not, you have to be ready to take the consequences. Besides, I don't think it's so much the notion of discretion as it is that the woman is free of disease, "deals with" any pregnancies, and through her breeding they can pretend they're not really stooping all that low. Let's not be fooled by Glenn's treatment of his choice; I hate to say it, as it's not very romantic and this was supposed to be a fun topic, but you can bet that his motives reflected the above, too.

Besides, although Glenn behaved well, some of the men she details in this book are absolutely horrific. They deserved to be humiliated, IMHO. The man who introduced one of them to Don, Don's neighbor George Santo Pietro, tortured the prostitutes with hot coffee enemas. Their pain turned George on. That disgusting behavior isn't even the worst of it.

The ones I truly feel sorry for are the significant others. Such a double standard. I daresay very few of THEM were ordering up prostitutes.

I realize is is possible they are lying or exaggerating. But honestly even our beloved Eagles were at one time pretty amoral when it came to sex, if the tales from the "third encore" are true. At least Don didn't get off on pain or hurting women. He was tame compared to 90% of the book, and one prostitute apparently liked him enough to "date" him. I don't want to get into sordid detail, but other then some kinky desires involving multiple partners, he seems harmless.

I assume that now they are married, however, these escapades are things of the past.

Maleah
07-09-2007, 02:56 PM
I couldn't agree more with everything you said Soda!!

And we know that Stevie has given Don more favorable reviews when it comes to "undoing the laces" so....

Only in song though right? Or did I miss something else? :P

Brooke
07-09-2007, 04:35 PM
I haven't read it. Maybe.....I should at least check out the relevant pages! :wink:

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 04:42 PM
Only in song Maleah - Stevie doesn't kiss and tell like that! But to this day she finds Don "sexy" so... you do the math. ;)

Brooke - PM me. ;)

DonFan
07-09-2007, 05:05 PM
Mrs. F - I think DF's POS must mean piece of $hit, but she can correct me if I'm wrong.

That's absolutely right, dreamer. :wink:

I agree with what Soda said about the book and the various participants. Seems to me I even remember that the hookers did the talk show circuit back when the book first appeared. I wasn't an avid follower of the Eagles/Don at that time, so I didn't really pay any attention.

Maleah
07-09-2007, 11:03 PM
Only in song Maleah - Stevie doesn't kiss and tell like that! But to this day she finds Don "sexy" so... you do the math. ;)

Well.......I've never been good at math.......but I think I can figure that one out ;)