PDA

View Full Version : Eagles on Myspace!

Perfect Little Sister
07-09-2007, 04:52 PM
Hey!!! I clicked on the official Eagles site today just for the halibut and they now have a myspace. Visit them at http://www.myspace.com/eaglesmusic.

DonFan
07-09-2007, 05:13 PM
That is great!

glenneaglesfan
07-09-2007, 05:21 PM
I don't know much about myspace, but any publicity must be good! Thanks for that, PLS! :D

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 05:29 PM
This is terrific. Having an official profile enables the Eagles to reach a whole new realm of people. People can set the Eagles songs they make available onto their profiles and if they subscribe to the blog (and the Eagles utilize the blog) all their MySpace "Friends" can get notified of blog entries. They can also send "bulletins" to all their friends if they choose. Of course they may just leave it alone, but regardless, it's smart to have it.

I'm also pleased I can add an Eagles song to my profile without it getting snatched down!

Now all they need to do is utilize YouTube.

SweetHolly
07-09-2007, 05:32 PM
Awesome! 8)

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 05:35 PM
Oops Holly, didn't know you'd seen this! Please disregard my MySpace comment telling you about it, lol.

SweetHolly
07-09-2007, 05:45 PM
Oops Holly, didn't know you'd seen this! Please disregard my MySpace comment telling you about it, lol.
That's okay.

freyfanatic
07-09-2007, 07:25 PM
Cool beans!! 8)

Freypower
07-09-2007, 07:34 PM
OK. This is all very well, but until there is some activity I am not going near it. I know nothing about myspace and I am reluctant to sign up for this and be disappointed when nothing happens. Please excuse the cynicism but with eaglesband.com's track record, why should this be different?

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 08:28 PM
Oh, sorry, I didn't mean to make it sound like I thought this MySpace would be a frenzy of activity. I just meant it was a good promotional tool, and therefore I applaud it.

Freypower
07-09-2007, 09:36 PM
It is surely only a good promotional tool if the organisation makes use of it instead of letting it sit there.

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 10:04 PM
Even just sitting there, it is good in that it offers visibility. People can put their music on their profile so that every time you hit the page, the song plays.

But where this really comes into place is with new material. With older songs it's not that important but when new music comes out, every time someone uses that song on their profile, all their friends will hear it every time they visit their page.

Also, once a person "friends" the Eagles page, a link to that page is posted in their profile under their friends list. Anyone else who visits their profile can see the link to the Eagles page if he/she bothers to click on the "view friends" page. Younger people might be tempted to click on it and see what it's about. Again, this will be more useful once new music comes out.

New bands utilize MySpace for this purposes by the hundreds, if not the thousands. I am not exaggerating. Jonathan Clark, Glenn's bassist when he tours solo, is one of them. Most classic rock acts ignore it. Honestly, the Eagles don't really NEED it to keep their money rolling in, but I still think it's a great idea to add to their already massive audience.

Maleah
07-09-2007, 10:19 PM
for any band, myspace is a HUGE publicity tool! You see some bands on there that have like 10,000 friends or more and it is amazing! I'm so excited that they finally have an "official" page!

Maleah
07-09-2007, 10:20 PM
I do have to add though, kind of an odd song selection. I'm kind of suprised that they put TS up instead of HC.

Freypower
07-09-2007, 10:24 PM
They've got TS there because it's the default song that plays when you open eaglesband.com. Again.... has any actual thought been put into this? Although it does get away from the cliched 'Eagles = Hotel California' thing.

This is all a new world to me. I personally see no need for MySpace. I don't lead an interesting enough life.

sodascouts
07-09-2007, 10:35 PM
Have you been able to add one of the songs to your profile, Maleah? When I clicked on TS, nothing happened.

Freypower, you may not like MySpace very much or view it as important, but millions of people do. Those people are who this page is for - the people who don't go to EaglesBand.com, but who live their lives eagerly accessing their MySpace pages for comments and blog entries from their friends.

In the past, people have put up sites with Eagles music for MySpace adds, but they've been shut down again and again (making it difficult for those of us who wanted to use Eagles songs on our profile). I am excited to see an official MySpace, too.

Maleah
07-09-2007, 11:06 PM
I haven't tried yet. That's odd though..........I've been having some trouble with myspace tonight though. Maybe that's what it is?

Freypower
07-10-2007, 12:41 AM
Have you been able to add one of the songs to your profile, Maleah? When I clicked on TS, nothing happened.

Freypower, you may not like MySpace very much or view it as important, but millions of people do. Those people are who this page is for - the people who don't go to EaglesBand.com, but who live their lives eagerly accessing their MySpace pages for comments and blog entries from their friends.

In the past, people have put up sites with Eagles music for MySpace adds, but they've been shut down again and again (making it difficult for those of us who wanted to use Eagles songs on our profile). I am excited to see an official MySpace, too.

I didn't say I didn't like it or I didn't think it was important. I don't use it. I don't see how I would attract people to anything written by me. My cynicism is based solely on the fact that the official Eagles website is apparently run by people without the faintest interest in updating it. I suppose my question is if the administrators of this page don't start a blog, can anyone else?

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 05:15 AM
I'm not sure what you're asking, FP... anyone can start their own blog on their own myspace. One couldn't attach one's blog to the Eagles myspace, if that's what you mean.

Brooke
07-10-2007, 04:02 PM
I don't really "get" the myspace thing either. I see no need for me to be there. I know it's a very popular thing for younger people. So, I guess, if it gets that group interested in the Eagles music that's a good thing.

I don't have an ipod either, nor do I think I need one. I guess I just don't want 'something" attached to my body all the time. I just don't "need" to listen to music at all times of the day. The radio or stereo is good enough. But, I haven't tried it either. Maybe I just don't know what I'm missing?! :? :lol:

Freypower
07-10-2007, 06:41 PM
Now I have an iPod I wouldn't be without it, but I don't take it everywhere I go.

My point about the Eagles having a mySpace page is that it will only be effective if someone in the organisation maintains it and does something with it. If there are no blog entries the page can have all the 'friends' it likes. It hasn't achieved anything unless there is something blindingly obvious which I am missing.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 07:15 PM
If anyone's interested, here's the lowdown on MySpace from my perspective as a 31-year-old. And yes, it's LOOOOOOOOOONG.

I understand the reluctance to join MySpace. I don't think you should do so just for this, certainly, but many younger people adore it. I was persuaded to join by one of my friends who is REALLY into MySpace - checks it daily. She always chides me for not posting more often or posting comments on her MySpace. It certainly doesn't play a large role in my life. I blog using LiveJournal (or used to, not so much anymore), so I don't need the MySpace blogs, but lots of kids love to use those and in fact count on them for a great deal of social networking. In addition to the blogs, there is the ability to send friends "bulletins" of various important events (or many times 'forwards' of the latest top ten lists or internet quizzes, ugh.)

Many young people pride themselves on the number of "friends" they can amass. Often you'll get invitations to be "friended" by people you don't even know. I've gotten some from random people who happen to live in the same town as I do, or happen to be the same age - then there's always the desperate men hoping you're desperate, too (many times these guys send photos of some hot guy and try to convince you that's their photo. Girls do it too, of course). MySpace encourages this kind of "friending" in that it asks you to disclose details like if you're in a relationship or looking for one, your age/body type, if you want kids, if you're straight/gay/bisexual... like a big personals ad. You don't HAVE to put in those details, but still. Many parents cringe at the idea of their kids being involved with something that has that kind of info.

A security measure that one can take is setting one's MySpace to private, so that only the people you have "friended" can view it. This is especially encouraged for younger people. Many parents block MySpace on their home computers to make sure the kids never get into any trouble through it. However, whether or not that keeps the kids off of MySpace once they leave the house is not as certain! Plus, there are workaounds if a kid is determined to get on MySpace in the comfort of his/her own home.

In my opinion, the thing to do is to pound it into these kids' heads that under no circumstances are they ever to meet a stranger alone just because they've had some nice interactions with them via MySpace. Here in West Lafayette, a young man drove off to meet someone who had presented themselves on MySpace as a sexy girl looking to "hook up"... and they found his body in a field two weeks later. That's the kind of thing that gives parents nightmares and has made MySpace very controversial.

On a lighter note, something about MySpace that annoys me terribly but that younger folks seem to love is putting tons of videos, slide shows, sparklie photos and the like on their MySpace pages. I dislike web clutter a lot, and when I go on friends' pages and see their videos that many times automatically come on, their flashing graphics, etc., it does make me shake my head. Hordes of them! Additionally, the truth is that almost all MySpace layouts are hideous. Many have patterns that are hard to read the text over and some are just downright tacky. The lopsidedness of the page - one column of comments hugely long, the other column filled with essentials, then nothing but space - ugh! Whose bright idea was it to make that the default MySpace structure? You can buy services that design your MySpace for you, which many people use. Some are good, some aren't. I designed my own MySpace (http://www.myspace.com/sodascouts) and fixed the alignment issues as well as contained the comments in a scrolling box, but it wasn't easy.

However, there are good things about MySpace too. It really is great way for people to keep current with each other, no matter where they are; you can find friends all over the world. In my case, I have been "found" on MySpace by some people I haven't heard from in ages. Last year, one of my best friends in high school sent me a message through MySpace. We hadn't talked since my undergrad days at Texas A&M. My cousin Erin, who I've gotten out of touch with, found me on there as well. It also is a good place for people who share common interests to network (not unlike this message board). People who like the same music you do, or books, or TV shows, or whatever, can friend you (these things are put in your "interests").

It is so often used by musicians to promote their bands that they have a special "MySpace music" segment that is different from normal MySpaces in its ability to provide MP3s for people to add to their profiles. This is what the Eagles use. (Many new bands shamelessly send out thousands of friends requests to people they don't know in order to get some folks to take a look at their band's MySpace). It's advertising for almost nothing - having people "friend" them and therefore display their picture in their "friends" list is like pasting up tons of posters advertising your band on virtual bulletin boards all across the world. My cousin Robin, an amazingly talented guitarist who actually played a gig with Matchbox 20 one time, uses one for her band (http://www.myspace.com/ladysmithrocks).

MySpace is one of the top three most popular sites in the United States. It's a force to be reckoned with for better or for worse, especially if you have kids. I daresay any Eagle with a teenage kid is familiar with the phenomenon. Their decision to hire someone to make a MySpace for them is a good one, even if it is largely a duplicate of the website.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 07:17 PM
As for the iPod, I used to shrug them off, too. I have CDs, I can listen to MP3s on the computer - what do I need an iPod for? I only bought one when I had to take a 17-hour flight to Saudi Arabia and realized taking along a small iPod with all that music would be a heck of a lot easier than hauling a portable CD player and a dozen CDs with me. Since then, I've found it fun to use in the car using an "iPod road trip" gadget. Now I never have to bring CDs in the car again - I have 8 gigs of music for any trip I take. Heck, I have the whole Eagles catalog on that thing and it doesn't even take up 1 gig. I have the equivalent of around 100 CDs on that thing. Talk about convenient when it comes to the car!

Freypower
07-10-2007, 07:24 PM
Your mySpace page is very cool Soda. But all I can think about is what if I set a page up and nobody came?

Molly
07-10-2007, 07:39 PM
My kids bought me an iPod for Christmas this past year, and I love it. I love having it with me when I'm doing mundane tasks such as watering my flowerbeds and garden. Hubby finally broke down and decided he wanted his own (I'm not good about sharing mine with him :wink: ), and I got him one for his birthday last week.

As for myspace -I'm pretty ignorant about it, is it possible that Eagles's Inc. set it up linked to their official web page to discourage "fake" pages set up by fans?

I mostly have only heard of the negative side of myspace, and if my kids were younger -I think I'd be pretty nervous about their participation. The evening news always seems to be running stories about pervs who meet their victims through their Myspace page. I know that's an unfair representation , but truly it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 07:41 PM
But all I can think about is what if I set a page up and nobody came?

Well, FP, that would be kind of depressing I guess! I went in there with ready-made friends from my BN.net (http://www.buckinghamnicks.net/) page. I ran a message board there and lots of people on there were into MySpace. I guess in your case it would probably be people from this board. Honestly most of my peers at grad school do not have MySpace and indeed, it's not exactly a necessity to life! If it weren't for my friend Tiff I'd never have gotten one, although I do like to stay current on internet trends so in that sense it's good to have one.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 08:34 PM
As for myspace -I'm pretty ignorant about it, is it possible that Eagles's Inc. set it up linked to their official web page to discourage "fake" pages set up by fans?

That could very well be an element. They were quite diligent about taking down unauthorized music pages offering Eagles songs to be added to profiles by people calling themselves "Eagles." Most of the time it was very obvious these were fakers, but still, it was a problem. I know they were diligent because, fakers or not, those pages offered Eagles music to add to one's profile and I often made use of it, only to come back later and find it gone!

I mostly have only heard of the negative side of myspace, and if my kids were younger -I think I'd be pretty nervous about their participation. The evening news always seems to be running stories about pervs who meet their victims through their Myspace page. I know that's an unfair representation , but truly it is the first thing that comes to mind when I hear the word.

You're not the only one. As popular as it is with kids, those horror stories are what the adults pay more attention to. While MySpace is a venue for these pervs, sadly any place on the internet allows people to pass themselves off as something they're not.

As you know, one of our Terms of Service here is that a person can't impersonate someone from the band or anyone that's related to or associated with them. The reason I had to make that rule is because on my Buckingham Nicks board, a mentally unstable girl came online and pretended to be Lindsey Buckingham's wife, going so far as to "prove" she was real by telling us what medication he took for epilepsy. Being an epileptic myself, I knew she was lying when she misidentifed his meds - although honestly I needed no such proof to find her suspect. I mean, what are the odds the man's WIFE would join the message board? It's sad and scary, but as much as the internet offers us in way of positives, that's definitely an all-too-common negative.

sodascouts
07-10-2007, 08:51 PM
BTW, I still can't get that "add" on their music to work. Looks like they've got some kinks to work out!

Brooke
07-10-2007, 10:26 PM
Thanks for all the info Soda. That has definitely helped me understand what it's all about.

sodascouts
07-11-2007, 01:01 PM
Just a note to folks who want to make fan pages, don't put them on MySpace Music, put them on regular MySpace pages. Here is their policy:

"MySpace Music accounts are for MUSICIANS, not fans. Uploading music you did not create is a violation of MySpace's Terms of Use and may be against the law. If you are not the musician who created the song or that musician's agent, do not upload it. Even if you lawfully own a copy of the music (for example, you bought the CD or downloaded it from an internet service), this does not give you permission to upload the music to MySpace. If you violate this rule, your account may be deleted.

If you would like to show support for a musical group or artist, create a fan club in our GROUP section here."

glenneaglesfan
07-11-2007, 05:26 PM
Thanks for filling me in on MySpace, Soda. I really didn't know much about it at all. It seems, like most things, fun if used properly, but users should be on the alert for people misrepresenting themselves with the intention of causing harm. FP, I'm with you into not wanting to go there - I think it must appeal to younger age groups.

Molly, I acquired an iPod shuffle last year and I love it. Much as I like listening to the radio, sometimes, such as ironing, hoovering, gardening, it's just nice to listen to a selection of your own music.

JoeFan
07-12-2007, 04:24 AM
Not all that interested in MySpace, but the band taking note of trends is a good sign, I agree.

janisjoplin
07-12-2007, 04:34 AM
I did open up a myspace page but that's as far as I got LOL - I can't even work out how to upload my photo.

I agree that youngsters enjoy the social networking - however, if you're writing your own blog and playing around rearranging your site, I'm just wondering when you would find time to read all your friends blogs and catch up with other websites.

I know a lot of people don't get out much (like myself at the mo LOL) but it seems to me we're all sitting at home having relationships with cyber friends and not with virtual friends .........maybe it's the times we live in - so many parents don't want their kids straying far from home in case they become a tragic statistic.

Perfect Little Sister
07-12-2007, 04:04 PM
I'm with you JoeFan. I think this is a smart move on the band's part. It bodes well for the future. And let's face it...the demographics of the music buying public (at least the majority of the monies spent) and myspace are very similar. Now comes the conundrum. I'm one of those parents who has blocked myspace from my house. (yes soda the work arounds are blocked too) When I found a forty year old man perusing my then twelve year old daughter's page I shut it down. This happening in the same week a fourteen year old girl disappeared from my town immediately after she had been on myspace. It just made me a bit jumpy. She's older now and has asked me to reinstate it. "You can even monitor my page mom". I've been humming and hawing but now those darn Eagles are helping to tip the scales in her favor. LOL

sodascouts
07-18-2007, 05:55 PM
Just checked out the videos on the Eagles MySpace. They not only have the traditional Hotel California 1977 video, they have also added that old Long Run video, some behind-the-scenes Hole in the World footage (the stuff on the DVD single - but surprisingly poor quality) and One Day at a Time from Farewell 1. Keep in mind you have to be a "friend" of the Eagles to view their videos.

sodascouts
07-18-2007, 07:36 PM
BTW, I still can't get the "add" feature on their songs to work. Is this a choice of theirs, to not allow their songs to get uploaded to other MySpace pages? Surely not, because that would be completely counter-productive and frankly, absolutely idiotic.

Maleah
07-18-2007, 07:50 PM
have you tried sending a message to the person running it for them on there? Maybe he/she isn't aware of the problem?

sodascouts
07-18-2007, 07:52 PM
have you tried sending a message to the person running it for them on there? Maybe he/she isn't aware of the problem?

Hmm, good point, although surely I can't be the only one who's tried and failed to add a song.

tbs fanatic
07-18-2007, 09:39 PM
I'm mixed on MySpace. My teenage son is obsessed with it. I never bother with it. I agree with many others - if it's just going to sit there like the official eagles site does - Mmmmmm, I don't know. If they are going to update it etc. then maybe.

sodascouts
10-06-2007, 06:12 PM
OK, this is not actually the EAGLES on MySpace, it's this bizarre guy who enjoys "role-playing" as Don Henley!

http://www.myspace.com/henley_fan

Read under "Interest" in the "General" section. Weird!

Maleah
10-06-2007, 06:30 PM
ok............that IS weird. :? I hate to even mention this, but can you imagine how furious Don would probably be if he found out someone was role-playing him? The part where he tells people it's not really don and he's just role playing is tiny and not very noticeable. I think it's sad how all these people are posting comments directed to Don and this guy is just leading them on. On a side note though, I thought it was interesting to read the comment from the lady who said her brother is in the band Daughtry and how Don had really influenced him. 8)

sodascouts
10-06-2007, 07:15 PM
Check this one out! This person actually put theirs on MySpace Music, which is supposed to be for the the artists alone and not fansites.

http://www.myspace.com/donhenleyfans

Maleah
10-06-2007, 07:26 PM
A lot of people make a page like that solely for the reason of putting up a song to use on their own page. But this one's really went all out with the background and everything. :shock: Look at the friends list too!

sodascouts
10-06-2007, 07:30 PM
I know. I don't get it. Maybe this person is trying to create a network of MySpace fansites? But making them for each album as well seems a bit excessive. But hey, there are worse things. :)

sodascouts
10-07-2007, 05:09 PM
Hmm, it appears the "donhenleyfans" one has been taken down!

Whoever you are, if you're reading The Border, I wasn't trying to be mean. If you set up the fansite on a normal page rather than MySpace Music and make it clear you are not really Don Henley, it would be awesome to have your Don Henley tribute page on MySpace as well as any other you make for the guys.

Maleah
10-07-2007, 09:44 PM
I totally agree Soda. It's very cool to have a Don tribute page....VERY cool! But I think it's also very important to make it extremely clear that you are not Don Henley nor does Don have anything to do with the page. Otherwise people get let down. But a tribute page is very cool.