PDA

View Full Version : Welcome back Bernie!

GettheLeadonOut!!
07-08-2013, 07:42 PM
I know he is just a "guest" on the new tour, but I can not begin to say how happy I am to see Bernie back up there playing with the Eagles. He must be having a blast playing with his old pals Glenn and Don and singing and playing songs that he was part of creating. And just as exciting to see him tour for the first time with Joe and Timothy. These are special shows, and I can't wait till this tour gets to the West Coast!

thelastresort
07-08-2013, 07:56 PM
I think it will be odd (for me at least) to see him share a stage with Walsh - they are (or at least were in the 70s) two totally different musicians, though Joe has calmed down a bit over the years so it won't be quite such a clash. Of course before this the only time they had ever played together was at the RRHF induction and they all seemed really tense then.

I did a bit of checking before and at current rates an Eagles gig ticket works out at £130 for a 'normal' seat. When they do come to the UK I'll happily pay that. Only two bands I want to see in my lifetime and the Eagles are one. The more members that are on stage on that night the better!

sodascouts
07-08-2013, 09:06 PM
Hearing Bernie up there doing "Train Leaves Here This Morning" with Glenn and Don was absolutely surreal. I never thought I would have that privilege. He and Joe obviously respect each other and there was no tension at all in Louisville.

thelastresort
07-08-2013, 09:09 PM
...tension at all in Louisville.

I should have added, I meant among all 7 at the Rock Hall of Fame meeting. You could tell none of them were comfortable and probably secretly wished they needn't do it. Though to be honest Joe Walsh seems too laid back to care about tension and hatred. ;)

Prettymaid
07-08-2013, 09:12 PM
It was nice to see Joe put his arm around Bernie for a moment during the goodbyes in Louisville.

AEW21
07-09-2013, 01:08 AM
In the bows in Milwaukee, he and Glenn were next to each other, and after they all broke, the two of them kept their arms around each other for a bit longer, and Glenn said something to Bernie and they both smiled before separating. It was great to see.

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 11:08 AM
I was really hoping Bernie would be a part of this show, but they exceeded my expectations by how much he is a part of it! I was hoping for a morsel; they gave me a whole cookie!

Troubadour
07-09-2013, 11:13 AM
I am so happy that Bernie is back, and that he's a big part of the shows... I honestly thought he would join them for perhaps one or two songs! This is just great. My mum is a big fan of Bernie. I emailed her one of his pics from the concert and she just responded: "Yum!" :lol:

Prettymaid
07-09-2013, 11:17 AM
It must be so cool to have a parent/parents who are fans, although my parents did dance to BOML at my niece's wedding! :thumbsup: They probably didn't know it was the Eagles, though. :hilarious:

Troubadour
07-09-2013, 11:39 AM
Yes, it's a good way of convincing her to watch the Kirshner '74 show with me when I'm at home... "But Bernie's in it, too!" :angel:

Brooke
07-09-2013, 02:37 PM
It sounds like they are enjoying playing together at these shows! I'm so glad it looks like it's working out!

I'm like Pm, I figured he'd only be in on a song or two, but looks like it's more than that! :cool:

Freypower
07-09-2013, 07:00 PM
I will add my voice to the general delight about Bernie's return for this tour. It's great to see.

WalshFan88
07-09-2013, 07:06 PM
I hope he stays on for the full tour. I'd love to see him do the TIE and PEF solos especially, when I see them in Oct.

mustangkim11
07-09-2013, 07:37 PM
I am so happy that Bernie is back, and that he's a big part of the shows... I honestly thought he would join them for perhaps one or two songs! This is just great. My mum is a big fan of Bernie. I emailed her one of his pics from the concert and she just responded: "Yum!" :lol:

Your mom has good taste! Bernie is looking very fine.

Also the fact that he's part of this tour makes me even more excited to see them in Nov! I'm glad that all is good in Eagleland with the guys. :thumbsup:

mustangkim11
07-09-2013, 07:38 PM
I hope he stays on for the full tour. I'd love to see him do the TIE and PEF solos especially, when I see them in Oct.

Yes, me too! I don't want to miss seeing Bernie! (Hoping he is on the full tour too.)

sad-cafe
07-09-2013, 07:45 PM
me too!

pueblo47
07-09-2013, 08:05 PM
I know he is just a "guest" on the new tour, but I can not begin to say how happy I am to see Bernie back up there playing with the Eagles. He must be having a blast playing with his old pals Glenn and Don and singing and playing songs that he was part of creating. And just as exciting to see him tour for the first time with Joe and Timothy. These are special shows, and I can't wait till this tour gets to the West Coast!

Looks like our wish has come true. Makes it very special for us 70's fans.

GettheLeadonOut!!
07-10-2013, 01:51 PM
I want to add that this is testimony to what Glenn has always said that there really is not a multitude of bad blood between the ex-members (save Felder of course) and the band. Glenn, Bernie and Don have a special bond and chemistry. To see that elixir mixed with Joe and Timothy is a dream come true for me.

Now the big question for me is where is a You Tube clip of Bernie singing "Train Leaves Here This Morning"? I'm dying to see it

thelastresort
07-10-2013, 02:47 PM
Now the big question for me is where is a You Tube clip of Bernie singing "Train Leaves Here This Morning"? I'm dying to see it

There used to be one knocking about, but like 90% of Eagles videos that have ever been on Youtube it's vanished. It was from a 1973 concert recording at the BBC, shown recently on national TV once more after they broadcasted the History doc. Obviously it was just the original four of them then, just after they'd released Desperado as far as I know. The set list was (to the best of my memory) - TLHTM, Saturday Night, Earlybird, CKOF, PEF, Silver Dagger-Take It Easy - it was only a 30/45 minute show, there may have been more but not more than one or two. Out of Control and Witchy Woman were also in the concert but as far as I know but never broadcasted, at leats not in the recent edition. It was a small-stage, close audience set-up, and for TLHTM / SN they were sat in a semi-circle, Henley with the overturned guitar and Glenn / Bernie on acoustic. Certainly impressed the audience though, most of whom looked old enough to be their parents or grandparents!

thelastresort
07-10-2013, 02:50 PM
This is the unshown Witchy Woman from what I was talking about above:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEsmVzTPESk

Love the raw sound from the guitars at the start.

I'm also certain I've seen Doolin-Dalton from that gig, I guess it was originally an hour recording and was cut to fit programming times. Glenn was on harmonica for it. Another long-gone piece of Youtube footage alas.

timfan
07-10-2013, 02:55 PM

Check out this post (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238331&postcount=113) in the Milwaukee review thread, Walshfan88 has posted a video of Saturday Night that also includes Train Leaves Here This Morning.. It's AWESOME!!!

GettheLeadonOut!!
07-10-2013, 05:12 PM
Check out this post (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showpost.php?p=238331&postcount=113) in the Milwaukee review thread, Walshfan88 has posted a video of Saturday Night that also includes Train Leaves Here This Morning.. It's AWESOME!!!

Thanks timfan! You are right, Bernie makes his grand "re-entrance" at the 4:00 minute mark. Also curious if that's him playing the mandolin break in the shadows during "Saturday Night"

Scarlet Sun
07-10-2013, 08:58 PM
As i've wondered elsewhere, does this mean that Glenn played that first Train Leaves Here solo on the record too? I thought it was a B-bender. But I see no reason why he would play it now if he didn't play it then - it sounds exactly like the solo on the record. And for some reason that first solo wasn't played on any of the live 70's recordings i've heard of the song.

It also seems like Bernie may not like using the B-bender when he's sitting down. He only uses it for the intro of PEF. Either that or he may just want to play the benderless part of the double lead solo featured on the record.

Brooke
07-11-2013, 01:56 PM
Also curious if that's him playing the mandolin break in the shadows during "Saturday Night"

I've been wondering that too. I guess nobody knows since no one has answered! :shrug:

GettheLeadonOut!!
07-11-2013, 03:02 PM
As i've wondered elsewhere, does this mean that Glenn played that first Train Leaves Here solo on the record too? I thought it was a B-bender. But I see no reason why he would play it now if he didn't play it then - it sounds exactly like the solo on the record. And for some reason that first solo wasn't played on any of the live 70's recordings i've heard of the song.

I must assume it was Glenn on record after seeing it here. I love Bernie's shout out "Glenn Frey!" before Glenn goes to town.

It also seems like Bernie may not like using the B-bender when he's sitting down. He only uses it for the intro of PEF. Either that or he may just want to play the benderless part of the double lead solo featured on the record.

I'm just so fired up to see and hear that the B-bender is back!

sad-cafe
07-11-2013, 03:15 PM
okay, I am ignorant here

What is B-Bender?

AEW21
07-11-2013, 04:45 PM
Bless you for asking, cuz I have no idea, either!!

I'd love to get an interview one day with Bernie talking about his thoughts rejoining the band and what the process was like, rehearsing again and all that jazz. Must have been a oecual/grippy moment when thry sat down and harmonized again for the first time in over 35 years...

GettheLeadonOut!!
07-11-2013, 05:22 PM
The B-bender is the guitar that Bernie used to use on some of the early album songs and tours. Essentially his guitar strap would help bend strings to give it a twangy sound and emulate a lap pedal steel guitar. The most noteworthy song he used it on was "Peaceful Easy Feeling". Here is a thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2425&highlight=b-bender) where we discussed it (Sorry if some of the You Tube links are dead)

Outlawman13
07-11-2013, 05:29 PM
I am so glad that Bernie is indeed touring with Eagles again!!! It is so exciting that I get to see them this time around:partytime:. It's cool that Bernie, Don, and Glenn do have that good chemistry still. My dad was saying that they kissed and made up. LOL.

sad-cafe
07-13-2013, 01:30 AM
The B-bender is the guitar that Bernie used to use on some of the early album songs and tours. Essentially his guitar strap would help bend strings to give it a twangy sound and emulate a lap pedal steel guitar. The most noteworthy song he used it on was "Peaceful Easy Feeling". Here is a thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=2425&highlight=b-bender) where we discussed it (Sorry if some of the You Tube links are dead)

Awesome

thank you

Thirsty&Hot
07-13-2013, 12:02 PM
Hearing Bernie up there doing "Train Leaves Here This Morning" with Glenn and Don was absolutely surreal. I never thought I would have that privilege. He and Joe obviously respect each other and there was no tension at all in Louisville.

oh! I can't wait to see/hear that! :D

Ive always been a dreamer
07-14-2013, 02:46 PM
I've gotta say what a thrill it was to see Bernie on stage in Louisville. Never in my wildest dreams did I ever think it would happen. I am so glad that he was on stage for the entire first half rather than just a few songs. Even after they started hinting that Bernie may be joining them on the tour, I figured that if it did happen, he would come on for two or three songs only, and then come back on for the encore. So - to say that my expectations were exceeded is a huge understatement.

As others, have mentioned, it would be so awesome if Randy were able to join them as well. But, I'm just so thankful that, at least, one of the former members is appearing on the tour. I choked up when he first came out on the stage.

Prettymaid
07-15-2013, 12:19 AM
I choked up when he first came out on the stage.

Aw Dreamer. :hug:

It was a history-making moment.

Thirsty&Hot
07-15-2013, 12:39 AM
aw yeah I probably will get emotional too!

and I thought the same thing...that Bernie might not actually play on too many songs! so it's great to hear otherwise! super excited

and yes, as soon as I heard about the History of the Eagles tour I had hopes that both Randy and Bernie would be joining, but you're right I'm so happy anything like this is happening at all! :D

TakeMeToTheLimit
07-15-2013, 11:35 AM
It must be so cool to have a parent/parents who are fans, although my parents did dance to BOML at my niece's wedding! :thumbsup: They probably didn't know it was the Eagles, though. :hilarious: I got to be a fan through my dad who is a big fan though they are his second fave band behind led zeppelin, I remember as a kid my dad would play his best of eagles record on vinyl when he was looking after me and my sis while my mum was at work (she got to be a fan too) and would always always look forward to hearing take it easy (the first ever song I remember loving as a kid) and though i wasn't born when eagles were in their heyday I started finding out things about them from my dad and I've now amassed more information and background on them than my mum and dad put together and just the other week as we were watching history of the eagles I was having to tell my dad who was who lol and when I said randy meisner he was like WHO?! Haha

TakeMeToTheLimit
07-15-2013, 11:40 AM
Great news about bernie being back!!!

TakeMeToTheLimit
07-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Whoops! That reply sent to pretty maid was kind of off thread topic sorry about that :D