PDA

View Full Version : Salmon Festival, Newfoundland, Canada - 7/13/13

MaryCalifornia
07-14-2013, 12:24 AM
I think this article was written and posted before the Eagles actually took the stage!

http://www.thetelegram.com/News/Local/2013-07-13/article-3314477/Eagles-rock-2013-Toyota-Salmon-Festival/1

GlennLover
07-14-2013, 12:37 AM
The American rock legends, The Eagles, didn’t disappoint the crowd, kicking off the set with their hit “Witchy Woman.”

If they started with WW then they played an abreviated show, like they usually do at festivals. And was Bernie there? :shrug:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-14-2013, 08:10 AM
I'm not sure what time they started, but there were tweets saying they were doing HC by 9:30 ET.

GlennLover
07-14-2013, 08:39 AM
When I saw them play in a similar festival they started at 9:00 & ended at 11:00. Festival started @ 1:00.

timfan
07-14-2013, 11:13 AM
First video I've seen from the Salmon Festival:

HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mcflKecPeCw

sodascouts
07-14-2013, 08:44 PM
While we know user-edited sites are by no means reliable, IF this setlist (http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/eagles/2013/salmon-festival-grand-falls-nl-canada-33d94ca9.html) is accurate, the shortened setlist moves things around a bit.

Witchy Woman
Take It Easy
Doolin-Dalton
Tequila Sunrise
Doolin'-Dalton/Desperado (Reprise)
Already Gone
The Best of My Love
Lyin' Eyes
One of These Nights
Take It to the Limit
I Can't Tell You Why
In the City
Heartache Tonight
Those Shoes
Life's Been Good
The Long Run
Funk #49
Life in the Fast Lane

Encore:
Hotel California

Encore 2:
Rocky Mountain Way
Desperado

Topkat
07-14-2013, 09:42 PM
Well, from that set list, it doesn't look like Bernie was there...
His songs are missing. Ummm, now I'm wondering how many shows will Bernie be appearing in? This is all a big mystery.
Lot's of other stuff missing from that set list too.

Also, I notice that Don didn't put that "Ugh" in HC after the line "She's got the Mercedes Benz" ......I kinda like that little grunt he puts there!:ziplip:

Freypower
07-14-2013, 09:47 PM
Well, from that set list, it doesn't look like Bernie was there...
His songs are missing. Ummm, now I'm wondering how many shows will Bernie be appearing in? This is all a big mystery.
Lot's of other stuff missing from that set list too.

Also, I notice that Don didn't put that "Ugh" in HC after the line "She's got the Mercedes Benz" ......I kinda like that little grunt he puts there!:ziplip:

'His songs are missing' - the only song he has sung was Train Leaves Here This Morning. I never thought he would be at every show.

It was a festival & they always do shortened setlists at festivals.

The major omission as far as I'm concerned is surprise, surprise, NKIT. I hope they bring it back.

sodascouts
07-14-2013, 09:54 PM
Considering Bernie's prominence in the tour book and promotional materials (he's even on the tour T-shirt), it would astonish me if he were not at the vast majority of the shows.

Topkat
07-14-2013, 10:05 PM
I see Bernie in the photo from that article posted....so it seems like he was there:guitar:

GlennLover
07-14-2013, 11:55 PM
Here's a very short, but positive review: http://www.vocm.com/mobile/newsarticle.asp?mn=2&ID=36283

timfan
07-15-2013, 09:16 AM
TIE from the Festival and Bernie is DEFINATELY there! He hits the TIE guitar solo big time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkSY7UNoYbg

LITF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtijZdbjkso

GlennLover
07-15-2013, 11:06 AM
TIE from the Festival and Bernie is DEFINATELY there! He hits the TIE guitar solo big time!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fkSY7UNoYbg

LITF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wtijZdbjkso

Yay!!!:yay::yay::yay:

Houston Baby
07-15-2013, 01:41 PM
Definitely :yay::yay::yay:!!
I want everyone to be able to see & hear Bernie! It is so special!!

Topkat
07-15-2013, 02:41 PM
Found this review of the concert, & M&G

http://www.onstagemagazine.com/eaglesatsalmonfestival/

Topkat
07-15-2013, 03:38 PM
well, I just finished reading that review & it was pretty shocking.
This guy did NOT have a good time.

Henley Honey
07-15-2013, 03:58 PM
Ouch. Scathing review. I can understand their being pissed if in fact they were booked there in error, but my heart hurts for the fans who probably looked so forward to meeting them and were blown off. I'd have been crushed. :weep:

Troubadour
07-15-2013, 04:42 PM
That was a really depressing read. Sadly, as much as I love the guys, I can see much of it being true. I would have been gutted if I was there for a M&G and they seemed cold and totally disinterested. Also, Don threatening to end the show if people didn't stop using smartphones and cameras... really? I don't want to overreact because I have had some incredible Eagles experiences, so I know that they are more than capable of being warm and sincere and generous, but I do get a bit disenchanted when I read things like this more than a few times.

Henley Honey
07-15-2013, 05:01 PM
That was a really depressing read. Sadly, as much as I love the guys, I can see much of it being true. I would have been gutted if I was there for a M&G and they seemed cold and totally disinterested. Also, Don threatening to end the show if people didn't stop using smartphones and cameras... really? I don't want to overreact because I have had some incredible Eagles experiences, so I know that they are more than capable of being warm and sincere and generous, but I do get a bit disenchanted when I read things like this more than a few times.

Me too. But then I think about my recent concert experience where they were performing these songs in a perfectly heartfelt manner and a majority of the audience talked through it and yelled inappropriately. Having to deal with inattentive morons getting up for drinks every 10 minutes and drunken fan girls screaming for attention must wear you down. I know I'd quickly lose my patience with that behavior in my face on a nightly basis. :brickwall:

timfan
07-15-2013, 05:04 PM
A very disappointing read, in both the negative feelings from the writer and the apparent actions of the band. Unfortunately, as much as I love the Eagles I am inclined to believe much of this is true as we have seen similar behaviours in the past.

In terms of the Windsor Ontario and Grand Falls Windsor Newfoundland confusion while I can understand how it might happen (as I in Ontario did not know there was a Windsor in NL) it is the mistake of Eagles management not the fans who expected a pleasant and proper meet and greet. Those fans should not be punished for management's error.

MaryCalifornia
07-15-2013, 05:10 PM
I have never been to a music festival because it just sounds like them most awful way to spend a day, regardless of what bands are playing - to be outdoors in the elements with all of those sweaty people and bad acoustics. I would guess that it is the Eagles' least favorite type of show to play, and they therefore try to control every element of the day to the maximum extent possible. When faced with unanticipated scenarios (i.e. not aware the show was in Newfoundland, oversold VIP section, etc... - not saying I believe these "facts" are true), management will step in to really shut things down. Of all of the venues to see the Eagles play, I think this would be the worst for the fans. Contrast it with Staples center or MSG - those would be the best, controlled setting, good acoustics, celebrities and families in attendance so the band members are pumped up. I would tell this reviewer to go to one of those shows and then write another review.

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 05:11 PM
*SIGH* If all this is fact, and I have to think it probably is, it just totally disappoints me. I've been getting more and more disappointed the last several years with this kind of thing. I hate to say it, but it just makes me even more ok with my vow of not paying money to see them again. Why bother? I don't think they really care one way or the other. Wait, yeah they do because it's all about ticket sales and the mighty dollar it seems at times. :-(

And it's S-C-H-M-I-T!!!

Troubadour
07-15-2013, 05:25 PM
And it's S-C-H-M-I-T!!!

I think it's about time you got this tattooed on your forehead! Or at least on a t-shirt...

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 05:28 PM
Me too. But then I think about my recent concert experience where they were performing these songs in a perfectly heartfelt manner and a majority of the audience talked through it and yelled inappropriately. Having to deal with inattentive morons getting up for drinks every 10 minutes and drunken fan girls screaming for attention must wear you down. I know I'd quickly lose my patience with that behavior in my face on a nightly basis. :brickwall:

I get that BUT what about giving the fans that actually are there to hear and see them the show they are expecting? Especially for the price of a concert ticket now, they should be bending over backwards and doing somersaults for those fans. And if you can't handle the behavior of the minority in the audience after all these years of performing, then maybe it's time to step away and call it the end, sail off into the sunset and enjoy the next 20 or so years spending the millions you've already made.

Just my opinion. (ducking and running)

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 05:32 PM
I think it's about time you got this tattooed on your forehead! Or at least on a t-shirt...

Seriously!!! UGH!! These reviewers just lose a little creditability when they do that and it happens a good chunk of the time. :brickwall:Anyone ever wants to get me something Eagles that is unique, you're right, a t-shirt that says just that would be just the ticket.

Glennhoney
07-15-2013, 05:43 PM
I'm a little confused....since when do the Eagles have a "greet and meet"????....seems to me, there was a lot of "management issues" with this gig...and I'm sure somebody will pay for that..lol...
..and apparently the reporter hadn't done his homework re Eagles concerts...there is always a shortened set list at "festivals"...and Glenn has been singing TITTL for quite some time now....he DID write it, and obviously is allowed to sing it if he wants to...and as for the "lower key range", WHO CARES?...these guys are in their 60's....I imagine when I'm in my sixties, I'll be singing in a lower range...that is, IF I can still sing at all....
This reporter seemed to be really totally pissed off at anything and everything they Eagles did...Did he really think he would "have a beer and a chat" with the band like he had with "Blue ROdeo"????....seriously??:thumbsdown:

GlennLover
07-15-2013, 05:54 PM
I wondered about the "meet & greet" too. That is somethat we always said that they never do. And yes, Glenn has been singing TITTL for a very long time. I have seen video of him singing it in the mid '80's. I'm sure he wanted to do it differently than Randy by not singing all the high notes at the end. He has always sung it in a lower key. Still, the review is disappointing as likely some of it is true.

Glennhoney
07-15-2013, 05:58 PM
Yes I'm sure it's mostly true...sadly...but like I said..there seemed to be a lot of "issues" with the show...and somebody remarked that there had been some grossly "oversights" by the management and town...The band was probably very disappointed and upset with the whole deal...but of course, they shouldn't have behaved like they did..:-(

GlennLover
07-15-2013, 06:16 PM
Yes I'm sure it's mostly true...sadly...but like I said..there seemed to be a lot of "issues" with the show...and somebody remarked that there had been some grossly "oversights" by the management and town...The band was probably very disappointed and upset with the whole deal...but of course, they shouldn't have behaved like they did..:-(

I read that among other things they ran out of water at the concert & that they are going to have to review the whole thing to correct it for another year.

GH, do you remember in Moncton that Glenn said that they were " delighted" to be there. (This was a very similar festival that GH & I both attended, but we hadn't even heard of each other at the time It was a very different experience from the one described in Newfoundland).

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 06:25 PM
I'm a little confused....since when do the Eagles have a "greet and meet"????....seems to me, there was a lot of "management issues" with this gig...and I'm sure somebody will pay for that..lol...
..and apparently the reporter hadn't done his homework re Eagles concerts...there is always a shortened set list at "festivals"...and Glenn has been singing TITTL for quite some time now....he DID write it, and obviously is allowed to sing it if he wants to...and as for the "lower key range", WHO CARES?...these guys are in their 60's....I imagine when I'm in my sixties, I'll be singing in a lower range...that is, IF I can still sing at all....
This reporter seemed to be really totally pissed off at anything and everything they Eagles did...Did he really think he would "have a beer and a chat" with the band like he had with "Blue ROdeo"????....seriously??:thumbsdown:

GH-- I guess I'm the one that is going to play devil's advocate here. I don't think his complaint was so much about the shortened setlist or even the lower key range but the fact of how they performed the shortened setlist.

As for the M & G--maybe it was from a contest or something. I saw mention of it on FB prior to the show but can't remember who or where I saw it.

And finally-- I don't think he thought he was going to "hang out" with the Eagles but at least SEE them backstage somewhere. And what's wrong with that? And why can't the Eagles hang out like other performers do?

And this is the 2nd show that I've heard mentioned that Don has threatened to stop the show if people didn't stop using their cell phones to take pictures. Really? :brickwall:

You seem to want to discredit what this reporter says so I hope you don't mind if I ask you what you think about the fact that the journalist and photographers were promised the first 3 songs (which has been a long standing policy) in the front of the stage and then were moved back to the sound area? I don't know if you saw the picture from Twitter but I'll post it---I can understand why these journalist would be upset about that. Quite a ways back to be taking professional shots when you were told you'd be up front. Granted, this could of been a management issue but it is the Eagles management.

Hey, I have my bad days too but I do NOT take them out on the people that are paying for my services (that's what my hubby is for :thumbsup:).

And all this in only the 4th (correct?) show of the tour. Yikes!!

http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e136/williehoo/SalmonFestcrowd_zps8c042ef5.png

Topkat
07-15-2013, 07:18 PM

They get paid 1.2 million for an hour & a half of work, & a meet a greet with a few fans that won a contest....Wouldn't kill them to be a little bit nice to the fans who spent hundreds of dollars of their hard earned money to see them.

In a large venue, there are always going to be a few jerks. They should be used to that after all these years. You just tune them out & keep going.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2013, 07:45 PM
I haven't read the review, I'm on my phone and short on both time and interest. I will say I read similar bad reviews from the shows last year back when this was still a rumor. There were concerns about festival management being able to handle a crowd the size the eagles were sure to attract. LiveNation are not the promoters for this show so there were bound to be issues. It's a shame it all worked out the way it did. If asked I'm sure Azoff told them 'no'to M&G. So it likely was an unpleasant surprise. It would be nice if our guys were gracious to fans not responsible for the .mistake.but that just means the next promotor counts on that and makes the mistake on purpose. Rock....Eagles...Hard Place

Glennhoney
07-15-2013, 07:48 PM
I know what you're saying is all true..but that's more or less how they've always operated, right?....Feel sorry for the reporter...he obviously did not expect any of this..:-(

Freypower
07-15-2013, 07:50 PM
I found the entire article was full of such hatred that I could not take it seriously, and I am disappointed that some people here have decided to do so & see the worst they can in the band, because of one person's bitterness that they didn't get special treatment.

The band don't 'hang out'. Why should they? Next you'll want them to share the same trailer.

Houston Baby
07-15-2013, 07:53 PM
I agree that this makes me sad. I feel bad for the fans.
But I do hope our guys are not overdoing it. When they are actually touring, they have a lot of shows scheduled. I will be anxious to hear about the next show.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2013, 08:03 PM
I agree that this makes me sad. I feel bad for the fans.
But I do hope our guys are not overdoing it. When they are actually touring, they have a lot of shows scheduled. I will be anxious to hear about the next show.

That's tonight, right?

Topkat
07-15-2013, 08:05 PM
I haven't read the review, I'm on my phone and short on both time and interest. I will say I read similar bad reviews from the shows last year back when this was still a rumor. There were concerns about festival management being able to handle a crowd the size the eagles were sure to attract. LiveNation are not the promoters for this show so there were bound to be issues. It's a shame it all worked out the way it did. If asked I'm sure Azoff told them 'no'to M&G. So it likely was an unpleasant surprise. It would be nice if our guys were gracious to fans not responsible for the .mistake.but that just means the next promotor counts on that and makes the mistake on purpose. Rock....Eagles...Hard Place

I doubt the Meet & Greet was a surprise. You just don't spring that on a band, especially not the Eagles.. It was a contest & it was only a few fans that won it. It was not a huge amount of people. Sounds like the whole thing took about 2 minutes, so it shouldn't be such a big deal to be nice to a few fans!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-15-2013, 08:11 PM
I doubt the Meet & Greet was a surprise. You just don't spring that on a band, especially not the Eagles.. It was a contest & it was only a few fans that won it. It was not a huge amount of people. Sounds like the whole thing took about 2 minutes, so it shouldn't be such a big deal to be nice to a few fans!

I think it was a surprise. Maybe not a last minute one but our guys don't do these. They wouldn't have agreed to it.

Houston Baby
07-15-2013, 08:12 PM
That's tonight, right?

Yes Ottawa is tonight.

Topkat
07-15-2013, 08:20 PM
I think it was a surprise. Maybe not a last minute one but our guys don't do these. They wouldn't have agreed to it.

So what, even if it was a surprise & I highly doubt it, how hard is it to be nice & say hello to a few fans? I mean...seriously......If they can't do that much, just ONCE, for a few minutes......Is it that hard??? What does that say about how they feel about their fans? not much

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 08:27 PM
I found the entire article was full of such hatred that I could not take it seriously, and I am disappointed that some people here have decided to do so & see the worst they can in the band, because of one person's bitterness that they didn't get special treatment.

The band don't 'hang out'. Why should they? Next you'll want them to share the same trailer.

First I want to say, I can't understand how you can say that "entire article was full of such hatred". Disappointment. Disenchantment. But hatred? That's pretty strong for what I read.

You can be disappointed in me all you want but I'm not alone in my feelings and from what I'm seeing, there seems to be more here that are disappointed it what happened than not. And in my case, it's more than "one person's bitterness" that makes me disappointed in the Eagles lately. There are those here that will never dare express their disappointment in them but I'm not one of those. As much as I can say I have loved the Eagles in what seems like forever, I'm also not afraid to say how disappointing some of the things that I keep hearing/seeing/reading about are to me. I just think they are becoming increasingly disappointing with some of the behavior the last few years and I refuse to believe that it's just from a few bitter reviewers or a few dissatisfied fans because we keep seeing & hearing the same things being said. Thank goodness it's not all the time but still. I just think they've forgotten how they've gotten to where they are.

I'm in no way saying this reviewer was right in everything he said (he couldn't even get the spelling of member's names correct). To me, he sounds like a reviewer who has also been a fan and when he saw their behavior at the meet and greet, he was extremely disappointed. And then when the media was moved back, it kept getting worse for him.

I will also say that I disagree with him about the key changes for their aging voices. I, for one, am just fine with that. What aging rock star is still singing the same way they did in the 70s? I can't think of any. And I think most fans are ok with that. At least we are still getting to hear the music we have enjoyed for decades. But if the artists start acting like prima donnas who can't smile for a fan (and we all have to admit that we've seen those pictures), then they are open to the ridicule and might want to step back and take a long look at where they are and how long they want to continue to do this. Just saying....

TimothyBFan
07-15-2013, 08:31 PM
how hard is it to be nice & say hello to a few fans? I mean...seriously......If they can't do that much, just ONCE, for a few minutes......Is it that hard??? What does that say about how they feel about their fans? not much

Afreakingmen!!!!!!!!!

MaryCalifornia
07-15-2013, 08:44 PM
This describes an extensive Meet and Greet for a contest winner at an Eagles show...maybe those who say they NEVER do M & Gs mean haven't done them recently???...

http://www.eaglesfans.com/ive-met-an-eagle/2012/6/6/joe-b-meets-timothy-b-schmit.html

UK TimFan
07-15-2013, 09:07 PM
As for the M & G--maybe it was from a contest or something. I saw mention of it on FB prior to the show but can't remember who or where I saw it.

Knowing how fond the Eagles are of calling their lawyers for even minor transgressions, I doubt that anyone would dare to run a contest promising a M&G (even if it was just a 'have your photo taken with the Eagles') if they didn't believe that either the Eagles had agreed to it or knew it was part of the 'package' of performing at the festival.
However much of a mix-up there had been backstage with possibly the wrong town/Eagles being unaware of the M&G contest, etc, for them to act like sulky 6 year-olds is so unprofessional. Kick everybody backstage if they must - especially the ones responsible for any cock-ups - but they should not take their temper out on their fans. For the amount of money fans put into artists bank accounts being polite to fans for a few minutes in a face-to-face situation should be a small price to pay.

sodascouts
07-15-2013, 09:15 PM
OK, I've read it, and here are my thoughts:

Although my first instinct is to defend the band, even I can't defend Don's lame threat to end the show because people had smartphones out. That embarrasses me as a fan. I wish someone would talk to him about it, and explain to him that such threats are not effective and only make him look like a douche. Besides, I'm sure Glenn cares too much about the band's professional reputation (and the thousands of people who've come to see them) to allow Don to storm off stage and bring the show to a halt because some of the people didn't put away their freaking PHONES, so he's bald-faced lying to boot! Ah well, nobody's perfect, I love Don anyway because he's magnificently talented and a good guy at heart.

Now, to the meet'n'greet. I think this reporter might not realize that the meet'n'greet he saw - a minute with the band and a photo - is actually pretty standard. I have paid for meet'n'greets with Fleetwood Mac, Stevie Nicks, and Lindsey Buckingham which have been like that. At one of the Stevie Nicks meet'n'greets, Don was also there. He was gracious and sweet. I was thrilled with my experience.

For all of these meet'n'greets, I knew what to expect and I was not at all disappointed. Indeed, I was grateful, and I would do it again if I had the opportunity. The reporter assumes the fans were disappointed and projects all this heartbreak onto them, but the reporter didn't actually TALK to any of these fans to ask them how they felt! If they were told it was a "photo opportunity" then, like me, they knew what to expect and, like me, may have been delighted just to get that opportunity.

As for the moving of the photographers - did you guys not read the part about the area in front of the stage being crammed with VIPs, packed in like sardines? How were they supposed to fit photographers in there, too? The Eagles were unfamiliar with the venue so they couldn't know about the logistical problem before arriving. Blame the promoters, not the Eagles.

The reporter is entitled to his opinion about the show, but I think it's pretty obvious that after getting pissed off at the band, he was looking for things to criticize. If you're determined to be displeased, you'll easily find much to dislike. However, I can tell you as a FAN - not a reporter with hurt feelings and an agenda - that the Eagles show I saw was AMAZING. Maybe they had an off night, but I seriously doubt that they were as completely worthless as this guy would have us believe.

That's my perspective - take it or leave it.

Ive always been a dreamer
07-15-2013, 09:31 PM
First of all, I’ll just say that the band that I witnessed in Louisville a little over a week ago was not a bunch of cold, lifeless men just going through the motions. It seemed obvious to me that they were excited to be there and poured everything they had into their performance. The effort that went into planning and designing this tour didn’t seem to be done for an apathetic band that doesn’t care about their fans or performance. Just saying …

Having said that, I don’t think it is cool if they were disrespectful to their fans and they certainly should have been pleasant. However, by his own admission, this reviewer was not right there so it’s possible that he may have missed something. Additionally, at first he said that the band was scheduled to do a meet & greet, but then changes it to say it was only a photo op. These are definitely two different things. It sounds that this guy had some pretty unrealistic expectations. This is one of the top bands in the world, and it seems like he was a bit pissed because he didn’t receive the same treatment as he did when he was backstage earlier in the day with his beer-drinking buddies, Blue Rodeo. However, it does definitely sound like there was a lot of miscommunication and that is unfortunate, and, again, is no excuse to be rude to fans if that was, if fact, the case. No matter what the real truth is, it’s too bad if folks were disappointed. However, he even admits that his disillusionment with what he believes are egotistical megalomaniacs probably got in the way of a giving a fair assessment of the show. He makes several factual errors and even goes on to make excuses for those folks who may have enjoyed the show. If this event was truly the fiasco that this guy makes it out to be, then there may be more fallout to come. I'm going to choose to withhold my outrage for now.

Troubadour
07-15-2013, 09:36 PM
Soda and Dreamer, I think your posts were very fair and balanced.

Topkat
07-15-2013, 09:57 PM
The show in Louisville was a different show, and it was probably a lot better than this one. It is possible that the guys had a off night, but I do believe that this reporter didn't have any agenda or motive for what he describes here. I don't think he was expecting any backstage buddy time with the guys, but just the normal procedures that go along with being a photographer & reviewer. I mean the guy is not a first timer doing this gig.

As for the Meet & Greet or "photo op" whatever it was, they are 2 different things. The guy says that he observed it from a few feet away, so he was there. I don't know what these fans were told they were getting, but they got a 30 second picture & moved along. I would love to hear from one of these fans as to what they were told they were getting & how they felt they were treated, so maybe one of them will post something somewhere.

I don't care that the Eagles are the biggest band in the world, they can still take a few minutes to be nice to a fan....Sheesh. I know that is a lot to expect.
One fan posted something about the VIP section being oversold, & was supposed to be 2500 people, and over 5,000 were in the VIP section, so that alone can cause a fiasco.
Of course most of this is not the fault of the band, but due to poor planning and misinformation, but it does affect the experience one has at a concert..... As a whole, this is not the typical show, so I doubt this will happen again, but it's just not great to hear all this stuff.

Prettymaid
07-15-2013, 10:00 PM
Having to deal with ... drunken fan girls screaming for attention must wear you down.

HH, I didn't know you and Soda went to this show, too! :nahnah:

Henley Honey
07-15-2013, 10:07 PM

Shhh. We weren't drunk!!

Henley Honey
07-15-2013, 10:10 PM
This describes an extensive Meet and Greet for a contest winner at an Eagles show...maybe those who say they NEVER do M & Gs mean haven't done them recently???...

http://www.eaglesfans.com/ive-met-an-eagle/2012/6/6/joe-b-meets-timothy-b-schmit.html

And they did a charity auction for a meet & greet in Mansfield, MA.

https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/295725139

So the "never" is incorrect.

sodascouts
07-15-2013, 10:10 PM
Having to deal with ... drunken fan girls screaming for attention must wear you down.

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b141/glennfreyonline/misc/Overkill.gif

Prettymaid
07-15-2013, 10:19 PM
Ouch!

Troubadour
07-15-2013, 10:21 PM
That's one heck of an emoticon, Soda! :thumbsup:

AEW21
07-15-2013, 10:51 PM
No doubt things weren't handled well, all around at Salmon Festival, by the festival, by the band, by their management. Miscommunication seemed to abound at all levels, and bless them--but also curse them---the Eagles are bit of grumpy old men when it comes to unexpected changes and kinks in the system. So as soon as their was that itinerary mixup, I'm sure they were in a mood. At this stage in the game, and with Irving at the helm, I'm surprised this sort of mistake could and would occur, but things happen.

But sadly, it probably threw everything off, and sadly, the M&G folk had to suffer for it. That said, they aren't know for being effusive M&G-ers on tour--a simple search or perusal here could have told the organizers and participants that. So, in effect, they may have had expectations that were never going to be fulfilled anyway. Even if things had been going smoothly, I don't think they would have had a long and lengthy M&G. That's not who they are. And it doesn't mean they don't like their fans or value them--I think the Eagles think that their most valuable interaction with fans comes on stage and through the music. It's more than just their individual names and personalities--"Why meet them when its the songs that you truly like?" is probably their thought. And let's be honest, they're older, they're traveling a lot--they want to save their energy and momentum for performance time, not M&G. It's not cuddly or sweet, but it's the way they are. I don't think they do due to ego or money issues, per se--I think they do it because the show is the most important thing and everything else is just (annoying) static to them...

It's interesting this comes up, as Paul McCartney is playing Miller Park tomorrow nite in Milw., and in advance his people told media outlets that he will do no interviews, press, or M&Gs. So people are upset that he thinks he's "better than his fans," and all that. But some AR guy on the radio this morning pointed out that Paul's been doing this a looong time, and what is he going to say in press or a sound byte that he hasn't said before or that we haven't heard. As for the M&G, he said the same thing---he's been at it long enough not to have to do that sort of "schmaltz" anymore, and he owes his fans nothing more than putting on a good show...

I suppose you can put the same logic on the Eagles--they've been out and about successful; long enough to have earned the clout to set their own rules, and don't owe us anything more than they show we bought our tickets fo that night. That doesn't excuse them at all for being persnickety at the M&G, but I think circumstances all ready in motion from the mixed-up location had set things in motion to be rushed and impersonal.

And I do think this reviewer had it out for the band. His very obvious shoehorning-in that he was a musician who had already played the festival really set the tone for me that he was "marking his territory" as a new artist who had contempt for older (successful) artists. And all the naming of keys and arrangement changes...we get it, you know music. Stop viewing everything through your viewing of the documentary and your hipster irony and just watch the show. To me, the review was tainted from the start with his bias. Not that things hasn't already gone a bit cattywampus, but his anti-Eagle stance just bleeds thru everything and makes it seem all the worse. Nothing they would have done that night would have pleased him.

All I can say is that they seemed happy to be together and gelling on stage when I saw them in Milwaukee. I know that they go to their separate cars after the shows and I harbor no illusions that they make friendship bracelets for each other and exchange them on the bus. They're set in their ways. You just have to deal with it. On stage to me, there seemed to be a lot of gratitude and respect there, and between them. They've found a system that works for them to keep their sanity, and the band, together. And they still put on a good...hey, GREAT show. So what happens backstage doesn't really bother me. They're grown men--let them lead their professional lives how they like.

Troubadour
07-16-2013, 04:40 AM
A very eloquent post, AEW.

Houston Baby
07-16-2013, 06:30 AM
:thumbsup: Aew21! It was awesome in Louisville too!

Was it Glenn who said at the beginning - " no Christmas cards"?

timfan
07-16-2013, 08:52 AM
Some short video clips from the festival

TS:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHZmI_0YtA

TIE:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7LgQZ7BKEc

Doolin Dalton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qDkznqbb8

Witchy Woman

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF000kSpH3Q

Topkat
07-16-2013, 09:03 AM
Well, I see that they have their cameraman right on the stage...Blocking the view of Timothy......too bad! They don't allow cameras, only their guy who is a big dude & obstructing the view!!! :thumbsdown:

GlennLover
07-16-2013, 09:11 AM
Very well said, AEW21!:thumbsup:

Brooke
07-16-2013, 10:34 AM
AEW, I totally agree. Great post! :thumbsup:

All I can add here is my own opinion and I think that it was an all around mess up by everyone! I was shocked that the Eagles would even think of doing a m & g or photo op at all! Since when? Very rare for sure.

First of all, I would also never go to this type of festival in the heat of the summer. I know they can be fun, especially when you have nice weather, but how often does that happen? I'm shocked they are doing these at all. It's insufferably hot and humid most of the time. They don't need to do these. Why wouldn't they hold out and only do indoor air conditioned venues? They are in their 60's! But they did agree to them, so what do I know?!

I do think that no matter what the band should have sucked it up and done their very best to get through it and give the fans a good show if it's true that they acted badly.

WalshFan88
07-16-2013, 11:51 AM
First I want to say, I can't understand how you can say that "entire article was full of such hatred". Disappointment. Disenchantment. But hatred? That's pretty strong for what I read.

You can be disappointed in me all you want but I'm not alone in my feelings and from what I'm seeing, there seems to be more here that are disappointed it what happened than not. And in my case, it's more than "one person's bitterness" that makes me disappointed in the Eagles lately. There are those here that will never dare express their disappointment in them but I'm not one of those. As much as I can say I have loved the Eagles in what seems like forever, I'm also not afraid to say how disappointing some of the things that I keep hearing/seeing/reading about are to me. I just think they are becoming increasingly disappointing with some of the behavior the last few years and I refuse to believe that it's just from a few bitter reviewers or a few dissatisfied fans because we keep seeing & hearing the same things being said. Thank goodness it's not all the time but still. I just think they've forgotten how they've gotten to where they are.

I'm in no way saying this reviewer was right in everything he said (he couldn't even get the spelling of member's names correct). To me, he sounds like a reviewer who has also been a fan and when he saw their behavior at the meet and greet, he was extremely disappointed. And then when the media was moved back, it kept getting worse for him.

I will also say that I disagree with him about the key changes for their aging voices. I, for one, am just fine with that. What aging rock star is still singing the same way they did in the 70s? I can't think of any. And I think most fans are ok with that. At least we are still getting to hear the music we have enjoyed for decades. But if the artists start acting like prima donnas who can't smile for a fan (and we all have to admit that we've seen those pictures), then they are open to the ridicule and might want to step back and take a long look at where they are and how long they want to continue to do this. Just saying....

I agree on both counts...

Topkat
07-16-2013, 12:27 PM
Yes, it was an all around hot mess, starting with the travel arrangements down to the show, so I guess they were not happy campers, but maybe they are just too old to be doing the festival scene. I won't be doing any of them & I think maybe they should reconsider if asked to do any more. They usually seem to be ridden with unplanned circumstances that quickly become a nightmare.

As for the writer of the article; I don't see him as a wanna be or bitter. I believe all or most concert reviewers have a musical background....That's how they get the job, but I can totally see his frustration. There were many comments left under his review & many of the fans who attended the show agreed with him. Some had a good time, but I think the combination of the overcrowded VIP section, the long lines for water, drinks & bathrooms, the threat to cancel the show if the filming continued all made for some complaints...not even counting the M&G, which was attended by only a few.

I just think the Eagles need to be in a more controlled environment. This whole scene doesn't really suit them these days....maybe it was fun when they were in their 20's, but not anymore!

sodascouts
07-16-2013, 01:16 PM
No doubt things weren't handled well, all around at Salmon Festival, by the festival, by the band, by their management. Miscommunication seemed to abound at all levels, and bless them--but also curse them---the Eagles are bit of grumpy old men when it comes to unexpected changes and kinks in the system. So as soon as their was that itinerary mixup, I'm sure they were in a mood. At this stage in the game, and with Irving at the helm, I'm surprised this sort of mistake could and would occur, but things happen.

But sadly, it probably threw everything off, and sadly, the M&G folk had to suffer for it. That said, they aren't know for being effusive M&G-ers on tour--a simple search or perusal here could have told the organizers and participants that. So, in effect, they may have had expectations that were never going to be fulfilled anyway. Even if things had been going smoothly, I don't think they would have had a long and lengthy M&G. That's not who they are. And it doesn't mean they don't like their fans or value them--I think the Eagles think that their most valuable interaction with fans comes on stage and through the music. It's more than just their individual names and personalities--"Why meet them when its the songs that you truly like?" is probably their thought. And let's be honest, they're older, they're traveling a lot--they want to save their energy and momentum for performance time, not M&G. It's not cuddly or sweet, but it's the way they are. I don't think they do due to ego or money issues, per se--I think they do it because the show is the most important thing and everything else is just (annoying) static to them...

It's interesting this comes up, as Paul McCartney is playing Miller Park tomorrow nite in Milw., and in advance his people told media outlets that he will do no interviews, press, or M&Gs. So people are upset that he thinks he's "better than his fans," and all that. But some AR guy on the radio this morning pointed out that Paul's been doing this a looong time, and what is he going to say in press or a sound byte that he hasn't said before or that we haven't heard. As for the M&G, he said the same thing---he's been at it long enough not to have to do that sort of "schmaltz" anymore, and he owes his fans nothing more than putting on a good show...

I suppose you can put the same logic on the Eagles--they've been out and about successful; long enough to have earned the clout to set their own rules, and don't owe us anything more than they show we bought our tickets fo that night. That doesn't excuse them at all for being persnickety at the M&G, but I think circumstances all ready in motion from the mixed-up location had set things in motion to be rushed and impersonal.

And I do think this reviewer had it out for the band. His very obvious shoehorning-in that he was a musician who had already played the festival really set the tone for me that he was "marking his territory" as a new artist who had contempt for older (successful) artists. And all the naming of keys and arrangement changes...we get it, you know music. Stop viewing everything through your viewing of the documentary and your hipster irony and just watch the show. To me, the review was tainted from the start with his bias. Not that things hasn't already gone a bit cattywampus, but his anti-Eagle stance just bleeds thru everything and makes it seem all the worse. Nothing they would have done that night would have pleased him.

All I can say is that they seemed happy to be together and gelling on stage when I saw them in Milwaukee. I know that they go to their separate cars after the shows and I harbor no illusions that they make friendship bracelets for each other and exchange them on the bus. They're set in their ways. You just have to deal with it. On stage to me, there seemed to be a lot of gratitude and respect there, and between them. They've found a system that works for them to keep their sanity, and the band, together. And they still put on a good...hey, GREAT show. So what happens backstage doesn't really bother me. They're grown men--let them lead their professional lives how they like.

Excellent post! The bracelet line made me LOL.

07-16-2013, 02:04 PM
I agree - I loved your post, AEW.

I think most of us are in agreement that it isn't cool if the band was rude or disrespectful of their fans at the meet & greet or photo op, whichever it was. However, I, personally, would prefer to hear from those who were actually contest winners to get their impressions before drawing any negative conclusions. I also wish the band would give it up about taking photos at the shows. I appreciate that they don't like it, but it's feudal on their part to think they can completely stop it.

However, to put it all in perspective, I also believe they are all professionals and try to give their best to us fans when they perform. I've been to quite a few shows and, yes, some were better than others. But, bottom line is, if I ever begin to feel like they are just phoning it in and just going through the motions, then that's when I'll stop spending my hard earned cash to see them. At this point, I'm ready to carry on. :rockon: :thumbsup:

Houston Debutante
07-16-2013, 05:36 PM
It's Don's right to say he doesn't want photos or videos taken. As for his threat, I'm sure he would never really **** over the majority of the fans who love him and paid good money to see him by ending a show early due to a minority of them using smart phones to take pictures and video. He cares about his fans too.

When he makes the idle threat, it's not 'lying' so much as him trying to bring home as strongly as possible to the audience how much it upsets him. Glenn fans, I'm sure it upsets Glenn too, Glenn hasn't told Don to stop making the threat, don't put all the blame on Don.

I would only consider Don to be behaving as a 'douche' if he actually acted on the threat. That would be too awful and unfair to those who weren't disobeying him, and like I said I'm sure he would never do that. But I can understand him making the threat in order to bring home a point.

But I admit I wish Don wouldn't make the threat just because I don't like that it gives people the wrong impression about him.

And Soda has shown Don has been nice at meet and greets before, that is just one of many times that he has demonstrated that he cares about his fans, this one time when he didn't say much at a meet and greet for a few contest winners doesn't make him a horrible person who hates his fans. Plus like someone said we don't even know if those fans were actually disappointed! This dude just assumes they were.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2013, 06:00 PM
And they did a charity auction for a meet & greet in Mansfield, MA.

https://www.charitybuzz.com/catalog_items/295725139

So the "never" is incorrect.

Oopsie. How could I forget that? You said you'd win the lottery and we would do that...

cheryl
07-16-2013, 10:17 PM
In Louisville I was trying to take a picture right before Desperado and an usher tapped me on the shoulder and shook his head no. He went on by, I took a few pictures, and then recorded 2 minutes of them saying goodbye to the fans. However, I went to the Paul Mccartney concert Sunday night in Indianapolis and could have recorded the entire show. No one stopped anyone from taking pictures or making recordings. I managed to record 4 complete songs (mostly slower ones) but I did get the 8 minute finale.

AEW21
07-17-2013, 01:15 AM
:thumbsup: Aew21! It was awesome in Louisville too!

Was it Glenn who said at the beginning - " no Christmas cards"?

Yep, that's apparently what he said! (Though I like to imagine Joe and Glenn exchanging a Christmas card or two via families over the years!) And it makes sense in context of Laurel Canyon in the 70s--after all the messy band relationships they saw blow-up bands at the Troubador, I think they wanted to keep things "professional." But I think though the harder they tried to keep things cut-and-dry, the more drama they created. :shrug:

I agree that I'd love to hear reactions from people in the M & G -- did they expect more than that, or we're they told it was going to be a brief photo op only, "no touching"?

chaim
07-17-2013, 03:23 AM
I don't understand why that one reviewer complains about TITTL being now in the key of G major. They've played it in that key for years, so he's a bit late I think. And anyway, G probably was the original key, but they had to change the key because it was better for Randy's voice. B major is not a natural key to write in when you're writing with a guitar (or even piano), so I doubt that they were writing it in B. Glenn probably played it in G even on the record, meaning that there probably was a capo on the 4th fret in his acoustic. Even Randy probably couldn't sing the song in B today. Maybe Timothy could...?

Brooke
07-17-2013, 10:31 AM
I can vouch for Don being nice to his fans too as I went to a meet & greet with him back several years ago. He was very gracious and kind. He talked with each of us, (about 20) signed several items for each one, and then we got a photo with him. It was awesome and I'll always cherish the memory.

I don't know what happened at this event, but it is very unusual.

Topkat
07-17-2013, 11:54 AM
The picture with the fans was posted on Facebook from EaglesFastlane..
It is a group shot. I believe it was 20 fans. They said they stood out in the heat for an hour waiting to see them. They came out, took the picture & that's it. Some of the people who were there posted comments. Looks like the guys were not too happy as nobody had a smile on their face.:-(

Topkat
07-17-2013, 12:14 PM
Here is the group photo....click on photo to enlarge it

MaryCalifornia
07-17-2013, 05:33 PM
I think its a really nice picture. Yeah, Bernie doesn't look too happy, but obviously the reviewer's description of the event was totally inaccurate. He has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. That's an awesome souvenir for those fans.

TimothyBFan
07-17-2013, 06:01 PM
It looks to me as if Joe's the only one that looks like he was pretty happy to do it. I do wish they all would smile more often. We know they can and when they do, it's always so nice to see.

Topkat
07-17-2013, 08:10 PM
I think its a really nice picture. Yeah, Bernie doesn't look too happy, but obviously the reviewer's description of the event was totally inaccurate. He has lost all credibility as far as I'm concerned. That's an awesome souvenir for those fans.

I don't think he was inaccurate. They came out, & took a group picture & left, It took about 1 minute... Is that a Meet & Greet? Well, it's not to me. They said nothing to the fans...Nothing. Now to me that is kind of an insult. When they said a photo, I thought each person would get a picture with them individually, not a group picture with everyone.

Also someone who was backstage, said they asked if the guys would autograph a guitar for the Diabetes Association to auction off & they said No.

MaryCalifornia
07-17-2013, 08:14 PM
Ha ha I thought photo op meant the Eagles stood there and the contest winners got to take THEIR picture, like animals in a zoo! That was what I thought the reviewer was saying was happening - I thought that would be extremely awkward! That's why when I saw the fans in the pic WITH the Eagles, I thought, well, this is better. I can see individual pics not happening, but not talking to the winners? So, all 5 Eagles just walked out, turned around for the picture, all the time saying nothing, not even, "how's everyone doing, thanks for coming out..." Completely mute - How awkward! I just can't envision that, from any band. Or any person - it is too rude and painful!! Not one word out of one of their mouths?

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2013, 08:19 PM
Also someone who was backstage, said they asked if the guys would autograph a guitar for the Diabetes Association to auction off & they said No.

They would do that in a heartbeat if asked through the proper channels (and vetted). Any idiot can say it's for any charity and then sell it on eBay and pocket the cash. It happens all the time to bands too stupid (or uncaring) and fall for it. It's insulting to those who are really doing it for charity and have the brains to follow the proper channels.

ETA: Felder's book went into a lot of detail of the cunning and lying ways people had of trying to get autographs and especially of the entire band on one thing. Glenn has commented several times in past interviews of being nice to fans and seeing it on eBay later. Or it could have been Henley or both. It was a few years ago and I can't remember.

Topkat
07-17-2013, 08:37 PM
They would do that in a heartbeat if asked through the proper channels (and vetted). Any idiot can say it's for any charity and then sell it on eBay and pocket the cash. It happens all the time to bands too stupid (or uncaring) and fall for it. It's insulting to those who are really doing it for charity and have the brains to follow the proper channels.

ETA: Felder's book went into a lot of detail of the cunning and lying ways people had of trying to get autographs and especially of the entire band on one thing. Glenn has commented several times in past interviews of being nice to fans and seeing it on eBay later. Or it could have been Henley or both. It was a few years ago and I can't remember.

Well, I guess that could happen, but not just anyone can get backstage, They are usually pretty strict about that....This guy said they were legit Not everyone is a lying crook!
I don't know if they went through channels or not, but they refused. Just reporting what this guy said.

07-17-2013, 10:03 PM
I don't think he was inaccurate. They came out, & took a group picture & left, It took about 1 minute... Is that a Meet & Greet? Well, it's not to me. They said nothing to the fans...Nothing. Now to me that is kind of an insult. When they said a photo, I thought each person would get a picture with them individually, not a group picture with everyone.

Not to belabor this, but unless you were actually there or have psychic powers, you have no idea what went on at the photo op - no more than anyone else here. You have made your feelings quite clear with your repeated post in this thread. I don't know why you feel the need to beat a dead horse.

AEW21
07-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Here is the group photo....click on photo to enlarge it

Maybe I'm having a glass-half-full sort of day, but they don't look extraordinarily peeved to me in this image at all. I certainly don't see any real anger--we've all seen images that clealy convey they're not happy, and I don't get that here at all.

It's the typical faces they always sport for press. Bless his heart, but Don's "relaxed" face is sort of default set to "Bitch, please"--doesn't mean he's upset--it the charm of Don that he always looks a bit above it all. ;). And to me Glenn is doing his typical closed-mouth smile. (And who noticed the smile when you see his broad shoulders, nice upper-arms and wee legs--my God, those jeans are like a Danskin leotard tights!) Joe has his goofy grin on. Bernie and Timothy at first glance look mildly irritated, but I think it's really that they were caught off-guard when the photo was taken -- in a group that large, where to look and when is hard to time--I think they didn't know it was photo time just yet! hilarious:

Frankly, with a group this large, they were NEVER going to get an individual M&G--there was never going to be enough time for all those people to get autographs and pics--no way. I have a feeling the radio station or whatever coordinating this misrepresented things a bit...My sister won a contest to "meet and greet" the Packers' Aaron Rodgers during half-time at a hockey game and they were promised "You all will get a photo with Aaron"----Well, it turns out the emphasis was less on "you" and more on "all" --they waited for 20 minutes, Aaron came, they stood around him in a group, and VIOLA! they ALL had their photo with Aaron. ;) Maybe the promoter miscommunicated with the group coordinating the contest and that is how this all began, or perhaps the group running the contest just assumed they'd get to meet them more one-on-one and never bothered to clarify with the EAGLES people what would exactly be involved. The Eagles have never been Pre-show Meet & Greet people, and they weren't going to start before a festival appearance, so I think miscommunication on what to expect doomed this experience--the Eagles didn't really snub them all--this is probably all they intended to do--pose quick and leave.

And do we really know firsthand people were that upset? Seems to be a lot of assumptions going on--they all look pretty happy here, and I didn't see a lot of outrage on Twitter....and people love to unload anger on Twitter. :)

Could they have been a bit more outgoing with these folks? Sure, but things were already running late, so I'm happy they came out at all; they certainly could have said "No, not any more," but did honor the commitment. And like I said, they look perfectly pleasant to me up there in that pic--a bit rushed, maybe, but not grumpy...or any more grumpy than they look normally during press photos. ;) They aren't glad-handing, autograph people (especially before a show already off the well-tuned schedule they like to maintain!) and I sort of wish someone higher-up would have prepped these poor folk for this--it doesn't mean they don't like you, it just means they feel their best communication with you is via their music and doing their best in stage, not wasting energy and (rushed) time on a quickie smile and nod.

Somewhere along the line Eagles' management (uncharacteristically) got things royally mixed-up for this show, and that domino-ed down the line to however this M&G was set-up. I have a feeling the Eagles were blindsided and reacted badly to it all, and these folk were left with whatever good will was left after all these mistakes. All in all, I think it's a nice photo for them all to have as a momento--I mean, that woman who had her arm around Glenn can't complain. ;)

TimothyBFan
07-18-2013, 08:17 AM
Ha ha I thought photo op meant the Eagles stood there and the contest winners got to take THEIR picture, like animals in a zoo!

:hilarious: This just made me laugh. Too funny!

Not to belabor this, but unless you were actually there or have psychic powers, you have no idea what went on at the photo op - no more than anyone else here. You have made your feelings quite clear with your repeated post in this thread. I don't know why you feel the need to beat a dead horse.

To be fair, I'm seeing several members here with multiple post that are on both sides of the controversy, some saying they think it was a slap to the contest winners/fans and some saying they think how it was handled was ok. I don't think anyone on EITHER side, is beating a dead horse, just stating their opinion. That includes myself. I've seen several people that are in disagreement with myself state their opinion in several different post, but I don't consider it beating a dead horse or would I accuse them of that because they disagree with me.

You're right, not one of us here has psychic powers and knows how it all really went down, including you and me and everyone else on this board who has stated their opinion in this thread. Some of us are just more adamant about our opinions. :wink:

Sorry, but that's just my opinion and I'm never afraid to state it in a respectful way and I would hate it if anyone thinks they can't do that for fear they'll be told that if they do they're beating a dead horse if they say it more than once.

07-18-2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry Willie - but I guess we will have to respectfully disagree on this. I surely have no problem with anyone stating their opinion here whether they agree with me or not. Additionally, I have no problem with someone who makes multiple posts if they have something new to add - that's call a discussion. However, IMO, someone who dominates the discussion by repeating the same argument over and over is beating a dead horse. And, to me, this is particularly tiresome if they present it as if they know more than others. These are the types of posts that upset others and can cause confrontation. So I was just trying to 'nip this in the bud' before a disagreement ensued. Given the complaints that we have gotten about all of the arguing on the board, I thought most people would appreciate that.

Topkat
07-18-2013, 11:09 AM
Sorry Willie - but I guess we will have to respectfully disagree on this. I surely have no problem with anyone stating their opinion here whether they agree with me or not. Additionally, I have no problem with someone who makes multiple posts if they have something new to add - that's call a discussion. However, IMO, someone who dominates the discussion by repeating the same argument over and over is beating a dead horse. And, to me, this is particularly tiresome if they present it as if they know more than others. These are the types of posts that upset others and can cause confrontation. So I was just trying to 'nip this in the bud' before a disagreement ensued. Given the complaints that we have gotten about all of the arguing on the board, I thought most people would appreciate that.

There was no argument...I was just conveying what the guy in the article wrote, which some people have given no credibility...Well, HE was there, & several people have confirmed what he wrote in the comments section under the review & they were there as well.

TimothyBFan
07-18-2013, 11:23 AM

Fair enough and I see your point in this. Heaven knows, I've complained about the argumentative way some present their opinions here enough myself.

I guess it's just human nature to think that if others don't agree with you that if you keep stating your opinion long enough, they will eventually agree. You'd think after all these years, I would know that doesn't work. Just ask my kids. ;)

07-18-2013, 11:47 AM
There was no argument...I was just conveying what the guy in the article wrote, which some people have given no credibility...Well, HE was there, & several people have confirmed what he wrote in the comments section under the review & they were there as well.

TK - I understand what you were trying to say and I don't believe you were intentionally trying to start an argument. But, you had already expressed your opinions and made your point more than a few times. I'm just trying to point out that there was no need to be overbearing by persisting to restate the same things that had already been stated, each time more adamantly than the last. That upsets some folks, and that's how discussions escalate into confrontations. That's the point I was trying to make, however, I apologize if I came across as snarky.

Now - I'll just make one last point your last comment. The reason that some folks have given the guy no credibility is because we don't know what information he was privy to. Just because he was there as an observer doesn't mean he was aware of what expectations were set for the contest winners. Additionally, by his own admission, he could have missed something. But, you and others have given that argument no credibility. It works both ways and sometimes no matter how many times or how many ways you say something, you aren't going to persuade the other side. As the saying goes "you gotta know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em". Therefore, I am not going to continue to beat the poor dead horse either.

07-18-2013, 12:02 PM
Fair enough and I see your point in this. Heaven knows, I've complained about the argumentative way some present their opinions here enough myself.

I guess it's just human nature to think that if others don't agree with you that if you keep stating your opinion long enough, they will eventually agree. You'd think after all these years, I would know that doesn't work. Just ask my kids. ;)

Seriously! What the crap is wrong with kids anyway! :grin: :hug:

dirtyfrank
07-24-2013, 07:00 PM
Hey Guys. First post.. & a little late to the thread...

after a quick browse through this thread there doesn't seem to be a whole lot of people posting that were at this concert. I figured i'd shed a bit of positivity on the show.

I was there, I had VIP tickets, and personally, I thought the performance was excellent. It was everything I had expected from the band, given their age and I must say their voices are still fantastic, and seeing them live for the first time, given the conditions of the festival, was awesome.

Personally, the only thing that kind of put a damper on the show for me was when Don piped up after a song and said "I don't know if anyone stated the rules to you, but either the recording stops, or the concert stops." That sort of took the wind out of the sails for a few songs. When they came out on stage, everyone was so excited and happy, they seemed to forget about all of the issues surrounding the festival, then once he said that, everyone sort of looked at each other, confused and just said "okay".

The overall feeling from the band seemed a bit icy at first, but it seemed like they started to come around midway, making some jokes to the crowd (Joe and Glenn) and some chatter.

I'd like to shed some light in a different context of the circumstances between this unconfirmed rumour of a "mixup" between Windsor, Ontario, and Grand Falls-Windsor, Newfoundland.......

There is approximately a 2500 - 3000 kilometre drive (depending on the route you take) and a 5 hour ferry ride across the gulf of st lawrence to get to newfoundland from Toronto. If this was an oversight by management, I would definitely question their competence given the amount of money that is involved with this show ($1.2 million I do believe) and the logistics of bring the bands equipment this distance.

They knew exactly where they were going, i'm just not sure the band members themselves did. Think about it, they get on their plane, and the pilot takes them to the airport closest to their next gig.

The promoter from SRO was on the radio here describing his conversations with Irving, the bands requirements, requests (one of them being very interested in local foods and such) and had to deal with many things in order to get them to come here, and there were times when he thought the deal was off.

As for the reviewer (whom i've had personal experiences with)... is a bit arrogant- condescending even, because he's had a bit of local success in his band, (that doesn't exist anymore). it's just one of those things you need to be around to understand. Seems to be trying to make a name for himself locally.

This was an extremely complex day, given the conditions, and issues of the festival at the hands of the locals and promoter, he was obviously a bit soured that he didn't get what he was promised, and rightfully so. I would be to. His review made me feel a bit down about the experience as it seemed like they kind of shunned us newfoundlanders with the shorter setlist, the quick meet and greet, and so on, but upon doing a bit of research, like people have said, the meet and greet was standard for them, and they usually play shorter sets for festivals. Newfoundland doesn't usually attract many bands at this scale, and I guess whatever groups that have been here in the past, have been more willing to mingle and hang out.

The boys have paid their dues over the years, and they can do what they want really... regardless of what we think.

This turned out to be a lot longer than what I had originally intended.

I really enjoyed the music... the set flew by so fast. I was singing every song & getting lost in the music. It was awesome.

I would go see them again in a heart beat. And no matter what anyone says, everything else about the day is opinion, speculation, and the issues were out of the bands control. We paid the money to see the eagles, and they delivered.

Prettymaid
07-24-2013, 07:20 PM
Thanks for your review DF. It's nice to hear the facts from a fan who was there.

Oh, and welcome!

Houston Baby
07-24-2013, 07:34 PM
DF - Thank you for taking the time to do a review! I appreciate your insight into the festival logistics. And it sounds like you had a good time!

WELCOME from me too! I hope you plan to stick around & check out the other threads.

HAVE FUN!!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2013, 07:38 PM
Yes, thanks, DF. Glad it was a good experience for you.

Having seen the 3-hr show twice now, and how they talk about the past and set it up by saying they would gather together and jam on road boxes, I'm wondering how I'd feel if I saw the re-arranged versions of the songs for the first time without that intro and set-up. It totally works in the 3-hr version. I can understand why they don't go back to the pure originals during this tour (makes you prone to make a mistake), and all different songs is unrealistic. Perhaps if they do shortened set-lists in other shows, they should rethink which songs they do. Like no Witchy Woman and no Heartache Tonight. It would seem some people (like the author of the review) lack imagination and the ability to Google. A few minutes before the show would have told him what to expect and why they were doing what they were doing. Then again, you shouldn't need to research a concert in order to understand it.

Brooke
07-24-2013, 09:33 PM
DF, thanks so much for your review and I'm glad that you had a good time after all. Great to hear from someone that was actually there!

And welcome from me too! This is a great place if you love the Eagles!

Topkat
07-24-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks for the review DF. Glad you enjoyed your experience seeing the Eagles for the first time! It's good to hear from someone who was at the show....Welcome to the Border!!:headbang:

07-24-2013, 10:07 PM
Thanks from me for the review as well, DF. So glad that you enjoyed yourself at the show. I've been to two of the new shows and I thought the guys gave it all they had at both of them.

WalshFan88
07-24-2013, 10:26 PM
WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cF000kSpH3Q

TIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w7LgQZ7BKEc

Doolin-Dalton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n1qDkznqbb8

Tequila Sunrise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9GHZmI_0YtA

Reprise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OnhruZXE8ps

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TPUxa5JGzJ0

AG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HCHK0Gu9FpI

BOML

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dvBjyO6NoWQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B163r7Ywras

LE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7M5Hf9Fh39c

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SBlg-kM0XLk

OOTN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4VZOkLzPNNM

TITTL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gAuAxsRxCTU

LBG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r6I-Yw4F7yM

LITFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YwAtX988FgI

HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nlt7yagWQgI

RMW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qiH--uZgy04

WalshFan88
08-01-2013, 06:45 PM
BOML

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZJ6x3WJhsJE

LE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvAq0cgXS48

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1BVtlq9Qppk

AG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jya0yNA55MQ

Tequila Sunrise

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zk6Id2B28VE

TITTL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QQG_q7iSxuY

OOTN

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LMnxr9rjRMI

HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qOe1PDpJ0Ok

Desperado

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3acmzOg-eD0

Doolin-Dalton

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ss3_BLojG6o

TIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yLYemkhDv2I

WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5WME7fwBeZk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6yyyCRa6tiI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S3n-Qsn_3a0

LITFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o-4REGD4QfA

Houston Baby
08-01-2013, 07:17 PM
Thank you Austin! You do such a great job keeping us entertained! :thumbsup:

Prettymaid
08-01-2013, 07:22 PM
Yes you do, Austin. I'm very thankful for you!

mustangkim11
08-01-2013, 09:10 PM
Dang Austin! Thanks for finding and uploading all this video for us! :headbang: