PDA

View Full Version : Comcast Center, Mansfield, MA - 7/19/13

Windeagle
07-19-2013, 11:43 PM
I'll write more later because I'm on my phone in the car now, but in a word - AMAZING!!! It was everything I imagined and more. Thanks to everyone here for all your kind words before the show. I didn't take pictures because I was going for total immersion, but I'll tell you all how it went.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-19-2013, 11:48 PM
WE, I knew you'd have a good time!!!! Definitely tell us all about it, as I'm really looking forward to the next two shows.

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2013, 04:14 AM
That's great WE. Delighted you had such as great time. Looking forward to reading all about it.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-20-2013, 06:51 AM
Joe put this on Facebook:

What a wonderful moment to meet the Corcoran Family backstage here in Boston tonight. Bless you and this great city!

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Mansfield/MampG_zps397bf0fb.jpg

Troubadour
07-20-2013, 08:28 AM
Awww!

maryc2130
07-20-2013, 08:35 AM
I really enjoyed it as well. We got home at 1:30 am last night (took us ages to get out of the parking lot) so my brain's not awake enough to put together a decent review, but just a few random thoughts:

The guys seemed very relaxed and were enjoying themselves on stage. Don started off asking if everyone was toasty (as it was very warm) or maybe toasted. Then he said maybe that came later. :) Then he introduced Bernie, saying Linda recommended him because he was a great guitarist and banjo player, and then he, Glenn and Bernie were laughing and making banjo jokes. During the conversation parts in the first part, it was very difficult to hear what they were saying (for those of us in the back anyway), especially when Glenn was talking. I felt badly, though, because during one intro to a song, a fairly big section of the crowd started yelling "Turn it up" and they kept it up through what Glenn was saying, which was really rude. They effectively ruined any chance i had of hearing him. They did turn the volume up after that, but still...

Everything sounded great. The song list seemed the same as what's been mentioned in previous show. Joe was wild and fantastic, spot on in everything, and SO energetic. He introduced "Life's Been Good" by dedicating it to all the young people at the show who grew up listening to the Eagles because their parents listened to them all the time and probably drove them crazy. Then he said "Welcome to an Eagles concert" and "We're not so bad" (or something like that). My son had been waiting for that song and felt like it was his own personal introduction as that's definitely been his experience with the Eagles! My son also REALLY liked both of Timothy's songs and a there were girls in either side of us who were definitely fans of TBS (in a good way -singing along and very excited when his songs came on.) He sounded fantastic -- you'd never know he had just had the surgery this year.

The cheap seats (better know as the lawn) were better than I thought they'd be. You coudn't see the stage that well, but it was kind of a fun and relaxed atmosphere, sitting on stadium seats on a blanket barefoot, and getting up and dancing when you wanted to with a little space to move around. Most of the people in the section were pretty respectful, although methinks you could almost get high breathing the air up there at times!

I have lots more to say but this post is getting really long, so I'll continue in a little bit. Needless to say, it was an awesome show!

desperado
07-20-2013, 08:55 AM
I'll write more later because I'm on my phone in the car now, but in a word - AMAZING!!! It was everything I imagined and more. Thanks to everyone here for all your kind words before the show. I didn't take pictures because I was going for total immersion, but I'll tell you all how it went.

I like that one word! I'm going on Thursday, can hardly wait!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-20-2013, 09:07 AM
Joe put this on Facebook:

http://i1200.photobucket.com/albums/bb328/vernakrose/HOTE/Mansfield/MampG_zps397bf0fb.jpg

The is amazing ,love joe:thumbsup:

AEW21
07-20-2013, 12:32 PM
You'd think if there was any show for the guys to go on one of their anti-Rolling Stone magazine rants, it would have been tonight's. ;) Perhaps better to instead focus on positive energy and healing ways of music instead...

Can't wait for more reviews. Glad y'all had a good time!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-20-2013, 12:43 PM
Yeah - I figured y'all would have a blast. Thanks for the review Mary. Can't wait to hear more from you and WE. These guys are not so bad, indeed, huh! And that was an awesome Tweet and picture from Joe.

Windeagle
07-20-2013, 02:39 PM
Ok, slept, re-hydrated and ready to review. This is going to be really long. Hope you all don't mind.

We arrived around 6:45 and man, was it hot! Well into the 90s with tropical humidity. JD and his band commented that we probably didn't need a "warm-up" band tonight and he was right. I was drenched and uncomfortable after only a few minutes in the seats. We were under the roof near the stage, which blocked the sun, but didn't allow for much of a breeze. No matter. (We were in Row Q, just left of center, by the way - great seats).

Between JD and the Eagles, I noticed Otis Frey wandering around trying to be helpful. The roadies kept politely directing him toward other roadies who might need help. I kind of felt bad for him. He seemed so eager. He was easy to spot because even though he was dressed in black roadie gear, he had these fluorescent green sneakers that caught the light wherever he went.

I also noticed a group of people in front of us who had official stickers indicating they were guests of the band. "TBS" was hand-written on theirs, and one guy to the left of us had one labeled "GF". I wondered who the people were. One of the TBS guys looked like he could be a relative (nephew, cousin, maybe). He had Timothy's dark, fine features and slight build, but he was a good 20 years younger.

Anyway, the show started. Don and Glenn came out and Glenn commented that it had been 19 years since they played this venue. Don asked if we were "toasty"... or maybe "toasted, unless that comes later." They played "Saturday Night" and explained how they first started in a studio that didn't even have chairs. They sat on amps and packing cases, like they did for these first songs. They also mentioned that SN was the only song written collaboratively by all 4 Eagles. Bernie came out to do "Train..." (with the banjo jokes that Mary mentioned), and then Tim came out for PEF. Finally, Joe joined them for "Witchy Woman," which made me smile, it being one of my favorites.

They changed the set then, with a video of Glenn explaining the making of Desperado in the background. Then they started with "Doolin Dalton".

Ok. I knew the song was coming because I've seen the setlist (it was identical to Louisville), but I didn't expect its effect on me. As Tim played harmonica and Don began singing, I started thinking how, as a teenager, I had sung this song with the record in my room late at night, dozens of times. It and the DDD Reprise were among my favorite Eagles songs. I remembered that I REALLY started loving the band after Eagles Live came out and was always a little sad that those songs weren't on it and that I would NEVER hear them done live. Even if I saw the Eagles in concert, why would they ever bring those songs back?

As Glenn started singing his part, I lost it. I bit my lip hard and the tears started streaming down my face. All I could say was "Oh God, Oh God, Oh God" under my breath. They were singing "Doolin Dalton". Live. With the backdrops. And the full production. And... oh man. I don't even have words. I started pulling myself back together during "Tequila Sunrise", but was once again reduced to tears when they DID play the Reprise. But at least I had the presence of mind to sing with it. And I sang my heart out, around the tears.

"Already Gone" was next. I thought the cross-country video of Glenn was a little silly and somewhat distracting, but it did give me a chance to recover from DDDR. I ignored the video and sang and danced while watching the band. This was the first song that got everyone up and dancing. Next was BOML, and it was perfection, as expected. (By the way, when Glenn talked about Bill Szymczyk (?) before this section and mentioned that he also produced the J Geils Band, the Boston crowd ROARED!)

"Lyin' Eyes" was another interesting one. Glenn wished Bernie a Happy Birthday before the song, and mentioned that even though the song was long, it was written very quickly over the course of 2 days. He added that they "did a lot of things quickly in 1975", which caused Joe to pop into Glenn's spotlight and make lewd faces behind him. Glenn did "Plaintiff" which made me groan, but Pat laugh (since he hasn't heard it a million times yet).

The neat thing about LE was that, even though it's never been one of my favorites, I found myself fascinated by this production of it. My eyes kept being drawn to Bernie, who was spot-on perfect playing that classic guitar of his (Austin, you can fill in what type of guitar that was!). It was seriously like being back in 1975 and nothing had ever changed between them.

OOTN was next and it was amazing, though I did have a hard time seeing Don singing from the drums because Glenn was directly in my line of vision. (I know some of you wouldn't find that to be a problem at all. ;) ). I had to keep watching Don on the screen to see him well.

TITTL was touching. Glenn talked about Randy and how they wished he could be with them, but he was "under the weather". He did say Randy's doing better now and they wish him well and dedicated this song to him. His comments seemed very heartfelt, especially when he asked everyone in the crowd to "sing along for Randy." And we all did.

(Going to take my own little intermission now, both to get lunch and post this before I lose the whole thing. Back with Set 2 later.)

Henley Honey
07-20-2013, 02:49 PM
I'm so happy for you, WE, I'm busting!!! What a great experience (and review). Can't wait for Part 2.

Brooke
07-20-2013, 03:04 PM
Awwww, me too! Brought tears to my eyes imagining you crying, We! Sounds awesome so far!:thumbsup:

Troubadour
07-20-2013, 03:07 PM
What a fantastic, emotional review, WE. :hug: I can't wait to read the next part. I can imagine exactly how you felt. Even watching the videos this morning, I was a bit of a wreck! Seeing it live must just be incredible...

Houston Baby
07-20-2013, 04:54 PM
Aw, WE - What a wonderful heartfelt review! Your details are making it so real for all of us. Thank you so much!! Can't wait for part 2!

Windeagle
07-20-2013, 05:40 PM
Back from "intermission" for Part 2:

We stood up through most of the intermission because you could catch a bit of a breeze that way. The audience was drenched, and so were the guys! Their shirts were damp and sticking to them by the end of Set 1 - except Don, who, Texas boy that he is, seemed to be handling the heat with grace. He even mentioned at some point in Set 2 that it was just like Texas here tonight. They all (except Don) changed their shirts during intermission. When they came back out, Glenn introduced Set 2 as "the Comcast Weight Loss Program."

One other cute intermission item - Otis wandered out again near the end of intermission and was messing with something on the floor at the edge of the stage. The house lights went down and he looked up like a deer in the headlights, and FLED backstage, green sneakers flying. He's such a cute kid.

Anyway, the energy level in Set 2 was entirely different than Set 1, perhaps because Joe could now be let loose. He was rather restrained during Set 1, with Bernie taking many of the leads. I'm not going to talk about every song, but overall the mood was more playful and energetic. Here are some highlights:

- Timothy did his two songs, ICTYW and LWKUA, to great applause. I thought his voice was a little thin and reedy on the highs, but having never seen him before surgery, I really can't compare with any reliability. I'll leave it to those who know his voice better to judge. He did a great job, I thought, though he didn't look like he was happy with his performance on ICTYW. He frowned slightly when it was finished.

- Glenn talked about wanting to change the arrangement of one of their songs to be more like the Beach Boys "Barbara Ann", and then they went into "Heartache Tonight." I was expecting a COMPLETELY different arrangement of the song, but it wasn't as far off the record as I expected. Maybe a little slower and starker than usual, but by no means a drastic change. Everyone was up on their feet and singing along. And Glenn did the "knife in heart" thing at the end.

- Ah...THOSE SHOES! This had to be the best song of the night. Smokin' hot!! There was so much going on that I had no idea where to look. Joe and Steuart on the double talk-boxes. Glenn and Don center-stage looking like total rock stars, going toe-to-toe with identical rhythm guitar riffs and grinning madly. Glenn and Timothy sharing a mike and a laugh. At one point during the song, the "warm smell of colitas" rose up in the air between me and the stage, and apparently Glenn noticed. He picked his head up and sniffed, then grinned knowingly and looked back down, stealing a smirk and a quick comment over at Timothy. And all the while, that relentless bass-bass drum combination (DA-DUM, DA-DUM) drove into your bones so deep that you could feel it trying to change your heart's rhythm to its own.

- If "Those Shoes" was the best song of the night, "In the City" was a close #2. I learned with this song why the Eagles are the Eagles. I've heard Joe do this song solo a couple of times now, and I've heard Don and Glenn do Eagles songs solo as well, but it's just not the same. 1+1+1+1=247, where the Eagles are concerned. They are all great on their own, but something snaps into place with a brilliant flash of sound when they play together. They explode! And that's what they did here. Joe played an extended solo that brought me to my knees (or would have had there been room to kneel), and it was made all the more brilliant with the rhythm and harmonies that the guys laid behind him. And when he finished, he just walked away with a look that said, "Yeah, I got this," like it was nothing. I <3 Joe!

- I think it was around here that they did intros. Scott Crago, hometown boy from Wayland, MA, got a standing ovation. Glenn introduced Timothy as "the pride of Sacramento". Tim then introduced Glenn as "the Maestro" and "our fearless leader" (accompanied by much self-preening from Glenn) and the usual comments about Detroit - to which Glenn replied that he wants to let his hometown know that "money isn't everything and bankruptcy can be a good thing. Maybe." or something like that. He then introduced Don, and Don introduced Joe as "the man who needs no introduction, being known to law enforcement and hotel maintenance workers worldwide."

- Mary already talked about "Life's Been Good," so I won't repeat it, except to say that Joe and Glenn were pretty playful with the last verse. Joe very sweetly replied "Who IIIISSS it?" to Glenn's doorbell harmonic, which made Glenn crack up, causing Joe to push further with "Come IIIIINNNNN!"

- Don talked a bit before "The Long Run" about how it had been a long run for them and they were happy to still be here and they're here because we, the fans, are still here. He then went on to talk about the Walden Woods Project, which has been running for 23 years now. He got a bit political here, talking about how the town of Concord, MA is refusing to sell a conservation easement and so on, and finished with a mention about global warming, but then he moved on and started the song. He was surprisingly playful, despite his soapbox-y introduction, laying his head on Joe's shoulder on the "debutantes" line, and looming over Joe like a hawk while he was playing the guitar solo.

- "Funk #49" and LITFL, back-to-back hard-rockers that left everyone drained and exhausted from dancing in the heat, closed out the set. At this point, I was out of water and very happy that the TBS group in front of us had left, because not only did I have a completely unobstructed view (YAY!!), I could lean on their seatbacks to hold myself up. I realized I was pretty dehydrated, but thought to myself that the only way I'd leave would be on a stretcher, so I decided that passing out from the heat just WASN'T going to happen. It just wasn't!

- My husband hates encores. He thinks it's a silly and manipulative tradition and should be done away with (he's not much of a concert-goer). I warned him on the way to the concert that there would be 2 encores, and that I expected him to suck it up and behave. He did. He loves me. :) Hotel California was the first encore and it was magnificent, as expected, though I think I would have been more into it if I hadn't been as heat-dazed as I was. At this point, I was feeding a bit off the energy of the guy next to me, who had apparently been waiting all night for HC and was singing along very enthusiastically.

- Second encore was TIE, RMW and Desperado, all of which were amazing. It was so great to see Bernie come out and play with them for these songs. I wondered at first why they broke the encores down that way (1 song for Encore #1, but 3 songs for Encore #2) and I'll bet that's it - to give Bernie a decent amount of time to shine. Pat took a couple of pictures during HC and Desperado, but we just have phone cameras and they're not as good as some others I've seen posted already.

So that was the show, and yes, "amazing" is the word that sticks in my mind. Pat enjoyed it, and he's not a music lover. He even said he'd go again. So would I, obviously, though I doubt I would get another VIP package. Not that it wasn't worth the money - it definitely was. I just can't afford to do it more than once. It was sweet though that Pat said it was worth $400/ticket to see my reaction to the show.

Oh, and one last story. Based on what people were saying here about T-shirts and such, I bought a shirt at the booth at the front gate on the way in, even though they didn't have the one I really wanted (the On The Border T-shirt). I got the Hotel California one instead, and wore it throughout the show.

In the crowd on the way out, we passed another booth that DID have the OTB shirt. Pat saw me look at it and asked if I wanted to stop. "No," I said, "I already bought one. I can't afford two." He immediately dragged me out of the crowd, marched me over to the booth and bought the shirt for me. He knows how much I love the design because I have a huge framed needlepoint version of it that I made back in college hanging on the wall in our computer room. He knows because he drew it for me. "You've waited 30 years. You have to have it," he said simply. I'm wearing it now. :)

Troubadour
07-20-2013, 05:50 PM
I can't thank you enough for that superb, detailed review, WE! I was grinning at so many different parts. It really seems like the guys are having a great time with this new show and I am so excited by it all. I'm thrilled you had such a wonderful night, and I'm so glad that you got the shirt. :thumbsup:

Houston Baby
07-20-2013, 06:11 PM
Thank you again WE! What a wonderful review - I really felt like I was there! And what a sweet man - I love the OTB tshirt story!
What amazing memories you now have!

BTW - I would love to see a photo of your OTB needlepoint.

Henley Honey
07-20-2013, 06:20 PM
That Pat is a KEEPER!!!! So happy he got it for you and I'm so happy you had such an extraordinary experience. I hope you get to do it again -- in an air-conditioned venue next time!!!

Topkat
07-20-2013, 06:23 PM
Thanks for he wonderful review WE, & for all the details! Loved hearing about all the little things that made the show special for you! Glad you had such a wonderful time & got your OTB shirt too!:thumbsup:

NYC Fan
07-20-2013, 07:14 PM
WE-

Thank you for the wonderful review of the show! Such great details and so meaningful for you. My FIOS must hate me because I haven't been able to log on here for 2 days, but what a great review to come back to :-)

So glad you had a wonderful time. Sounds fantastic.

Mary-

Just read the beginning of the thread and so glad you had so much fun too! What a great son to take you to the show. A very special night for both of you. Thanks for sharing! Loved reading how much fun you had.

mustangkim11
07-20-2013, 10:04 PM
WE, thanks so much for the GREAT review! I almost felt like I was actually there.

Tiffanny Twisted
07-20-2013, 10:49 PM
Very much enjoyed the show.u made me feel like I was there. Glad u had fun.:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-20-2013, 11:34 PM
Fantastic review!! I loved reading it! I'm so glad you had a good time, WE. I knew you would and I definitely agree with your comment about 1+1+1+1=247 with the Eagles!

Brooke
07-21-2013, 03:22 PM
We, thanks so much for your reviews! They were fabulous! I'm so glad you enjoyed the show despite the heat! Sounds like your hubby is a keeper too, especially since he got the OTB shirt for you too! :cool:

Prettymaid
07-21-2013, 09:36 PM
WE, your review was so heartfelt, I just loved reading it. Except for the heat, it sounds perfect.

prayfordaylight
07-21-2013, 10:30 PM
Thank you for the absolutely wonderful review! You made it read like we were all there.

I'm getting such butterflies about seeing them tomorrow!

Ive always been a dreamer
07-21-2013, 10:45 PM
WE - like everyone else here, I absolutely loved your review. I could just feel the excitement right along with you. And hubby is definitely a keeper (BTW - tell him I said "hello"). I felt exactly like you did about the "Desperado" portion of the show. I was able to hold back the tears, but I definitely choked up. I think the emotion came because I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever see those songs performed, especially with the same backdrop they used in the 70's. Talk about taking us back in time ... WOW!

Also loved your little tidbits about Otis - those stage hands better teach him well or he may go back and tell his dad! :grin:

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2013, 02:44 AM
What a wonderful review WE! And I could see it was straight from the heart. I'm so glad you had such an amazing time. And I'm thrilled that there's no deviation from the set list in Kentucky!

So cute about Otis!

And I love Glenn:heart:s comment about the 'Comcast weight loss programme'.

What a lovely thoughtful husband you have too! Pat is definitely a keeper!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-22-2013, 09:37 AM
Thanks for the review, Slyja! Glad you had a good time of it!

As for the part I quoted, I don't know for sure what he meant, but I do know that in Atlantic City when Joe and Don passed guitar picks to a woman in the front row right beside us, at the end of the show, security came running and reprimanded both of them and told the woman to move back. There was enough noise that Joe and Don may have missed what the guy said, but I heard it, and Don did give him a nasty look before moving on.

Prettymaid
07-22-2013, 03:28 PM
Thanks for the review, Slyja! Glad you had a good time of it!

As for the part I quoted, I don't know for sure what he meant, but I do know that in Atlantic City when Joe and Don passed guitar picks to a woman in the front row right beside us, at the end of the show, security came running and reprimanded both of them and told the woman to move back. There was enough noise that Joe and Don may have missed what the guy said, but I heard it, and Don did give him a nasty look before moving on.

Ooh, I hadn't heard this story before! A security guy dared to reprimand Don??!!?? :woah:

We've had some members try to give an Eagle flowers after a show around 2008/2009 and were told they couldn't. Security said they would make sure they got them, but who knows?

boston steve
07-22-2013, 03:42 PM
My wife and I saw the show in the blistering stifling heat. A great show. I think the band has taken some risks and overall it works well. The first set had a Broadway play feel to it; with the minor set ( drop down lights, boxes for each member to sit on and the stories shared by Don and Glen). I would like a more up tempo song to begin the set.
I also found the lack of any songs from Long Road out of Eden to be curious. It IS part of their history. "How Long" was actually written back in the early 70's by JD Souther; perhaps that song could have been used some how. I really like the title cut from LROE too.
Anyways, minor issues. Nothing more.

The band played great and really seemed to be enjoying everyone's company and the crowd. I loved Glens line about everyone joining the "Comcast Center weight loss program" and Henley's remark about being "toasty" or is it "toasted"? I have seen The Eagles about 15 times. I had never seen them play with Bernie Leadon ( who was great) and never heard a few of the songs on the setlist. I'll be at one or more of the MSG shows. The camera police were out in force in the first set ( at least in my section) I did manage to get the final three encores with final bows... Here they are ..

I hope you like it, Steve

Here are some photos of the show:
http://s99.photobucket.com/user/steverogan/media/Eagles%20Mansfield%20July%2019%202013/IMG_0009.jpg.html

Here is Take it Easy and Rocky Mountain way ( 2nd and 3rd encores -- RMW is about 3/4 on this link the remainder is on a link you can find on the YT video page
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v0rbojQSwVE

Here is "Desperado -- full song with bows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRAHnWQjwU

I hope you like them. Boston Steve

Prettymaid
07-22-2013, 04:10 PM
Welcome BS, and thanks so much for the review and video. Nice close ups!!! I like how Don gives a little smile when he sings, "you ain't gettin' no younger". Perhaps thinking ahead to his birthday today?

Topkat
07-22-2013, 04:13 PM
I think it's a pretty standard rule at these shows that you DO NOT TOUCH THEM & they don't touch you. It's for security purposes. If anyone tries to get too close to the stage or touch the guys....security comes running over to stop it. Remember that security is there for the protection of the band & not for your protection! I learned that lesson personally!:scowl:

Freypower
07-22-2013, 05:19 PM
I think it's a pretty standard rule at these shows that you DO NOT TOUCH THEM & they don't touch you. It's for security purposes. If anyone tries to get too close to the stage or touch the guys....security comes running over to stop it. Remember that security is there for the protection of the band & not for your protection! I learned that lesson personally!:scowl:

They must make occasional exceptions for solo shows, then.:razz:

Topkat
07-22-2013, 05:24 PM

FP. I think it may depend on the venue, but most are pretty strict about it here in the US. I'm not sure if you are talking about US or Sydney, but that is the normal procedure. Some security guards are stricter than others, so it's risky because one of these guys can really come after you if you make a move toward them. I've seen it.

GlennLover
07-22-2013, 05:33 PM

FP, I was thinking of you (& Glenn) when I read that! :laugh:

Freypower
07-22-2013, 05:42 PM
FP. I think it may depend on the venue, but most are pretty strict about it here in the US. I'm not sure if you are talking about US or Sydney, but that is the normal procedure. Some security guards are stricter than others, so it's risky because one of these guys can really come after you if you make a move toward them. I've seen it.

I was talking about the experience I had in Brisbane in February.

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2013, 05:47 PM

They do indeed FP, but its on their terms. I'm so glad for you that you experienced such an exception!

Windeagle
07-22-2013, 07:41 PM
I did notice that Timothy was greeting people, and maybe handing out guitar picks, on the way out after Desperado. He was the only one though. From where I stood, he almost looked apologetic about it, like he thought he was going to get in trouble or something. He was pretty quick about it.

Windeagle
07-22-2013, 07:47 PM
I felt exactly like you did about the "Desperado" portion of the show. I was able to hold back the tears, but I definitely choked up. I think the emotion came because I never imagined in my wildest dreams that I would ever see those songs performed, especially with the same backdrop they used in the 70's. Talk about taking us back in time ... WOW!

That was the same backdrop as the 70's?! Really?! I had no idea. It was gorgeous, with the stark plains for DD, the sunrise for TS and the movie for DDDR. Probably a good thing I didn't know the connection. I was a basket case as it was!

Prettymaid
07-22-2013, 08:17 PM
I didn't realize that either!

WalshFan88
07-23-2013, 12:46 AM
Don did not play lead on ICTYW. Here is a direct quote from Don.

“Glenn Frey played the original solo on the record. I played it live for all the shows, on the Eagles Live album, and on the Hell Freezes Over CD and DVD.”Here is the link:

http://www.felderfans.com/index.php/guitar-q-a-with-don/

Although it does sound very Felderesque, it's not him. Maybe Don's style rubbed off on Glenn, who knows. I assume Glenn used his cherry red ES Gibson on this, since it has always been played with a 335 since. I also read in Felder's book something along the lines of "I'm going to have fun coming up with my guitar part for this". But it never happened.

MaryCalifornia
07-23-2013, 02:16 AM
Thank you for clearing that up for everyone, WF. Knew we could count on you...

I don't know anything about guitars, but I do know the Eagles like to keep things consistent, and I have to say that in watching all of the ICTYW videos from this tour, Steuart's guitar solo is mere shadow of the original. This pronouncement may be not fair since I shouldn't judge based on Youtube video quality, but it does seem like there is room to get "closer" to the original tone/sound/sexiness. Maybe he is trying to make it his own and not a karaoke version of Glenn's/Felder's sound, but I wish he would try to imitate it a little more...I love that part when TBS walks over to him, so I really pay attention to the solo, and it sounds so shallow and emotionless. Maybe when I'm there in person it will sound more like what I'm hoping for! [Like, two years from now when they play in CA haha] If I am wrong here and those who have been to the shows say it sounds great and just like the original, I will believe you and look forward to it!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-23-2013, 07:39 AM
I was at the Clearwater show, in the front row on the right, and less than fifteen feet from the woman he greeted after the show with a mere peck. There was no tongue kissing and it went rather quickly and sweetly. I'm not sure why you would insist otherwise, but I'm sure Soda and Dreamer will back me up on this. It is possible that you saw more than we did from wherever you were further back, however since you also insist that Glenn didn't do the guitar lead on the recording of ICTYW I have to admit your credibility in my eyes is somewhat lacking. Since I was mere feet from the 'making out' incident, I felt I needed to set the record straight for other fans who may be wondering.

Thank you, WF for clearing up the issue with the lead on ICTYW, I was far too tired to hunt up the interview with Felder last night.

Lastly, as moderator of this thread, I suppose I ought to request that we all get back to the thread topic, which is about another great performance by our guys.

TimothyBFan
07-23-2013, 08:16 AM
Thanks VA for trying to put a stop to the nonsense but why bother with someone like this. I'm trying to figure out why ANY of us here are wasting our time trying to reason with someone who so obviously doesn't want to be reasonable or friendly, etc.... Some people just like to stir trouble and it's pretty obvious when someone comes on and immediately starts arguments, that that is exactly what they want to do. There's a huge difference between someone who wants to discuss respectfully and intelligently and someone who just wants to be a troublemaker and none of us true fans need to be brought into that kind of nonsense.

Windeagle---- Your heartfelt review and post of your experience had me almost in tears. You can just feel what this meant to you. I'm so glad you finally got to do this and had such a wonderful time.

prayfordaylight
07-23-2013, 01:33 PM
Glenn wasn't married in 1989.

He divorced his first wife in 1986 and married Cindy in 1990.

TimothyBFan
07-23-2013, 03:06 PM
Mine is Jimmy Page but that's a whole different subject and thread.

I wish to bid you farewell right now because you won't be here long. Word of advice before you go, in your spare time, familiarize yourself with your computer keyboard. They have cap keys, punctuation keys, spell check, etc... And before starting trouble in another forum in the cyber world you feel so comfortable in criticizing and starting trouble in, learn the correct names and spellings of the band members you wish to criticize. It's GLENN Frey and Don HENLEY.

And you wish to call the people here clueless? :hilarious:

sodascouts
07-23-2013, 08:01 PM
hmm, something stinks around here! Time to do a little house cleaning...

I'm banning the troll and deleting his posts. Those who have replied to him: feel free to modify or delete your posts, since the originals aren't there anymore.

Glennsallnighter
07-23-2013, 08:09 PM
Good call Soda! This troll was just too poisonous.

boston steve
07-23-2013, 08:11 PM
And now, back to the show...... in case you missed my post earlier. "Let's all just "Take it Easy"!

sodascouts
07-23-2013, 08:12 PM
My wife and I saw the show in the blistering stifling heat. A great show. I think the band has taken some risks and overall it works well. The first set had a Broadway play feel to it; with the minor set ( drop down lights, boxes for each member to sit on and the stories shared by Don and Glen). I would like a more up tempo song to begin the set.
I also found the lack of any songs from Long Road out of Eden to be curious. It IS part of their history. "How Long" was actually written back in the early 70's by JD Souther; perhaps that song could have been used some how. I really like the title cut from LROE too.
Anyways, minor issues. Nothing more.

The band played great and really seemed to be enjoying everyone's company and the crowd. I loved Glens line about everyone joining the "Comcast Center weight loss program" and Henley's remark about being "toasty" or is it "toasted"? I have seen The Eagles about 15 times. I had never seen them play with Bernie Leadon ( who was great) and never heard a few of the songs on the setlist. I'll be at one or more of the MSG shows. The camera police were out in force in the first set ( at least in my section) I did manage to get the final three encores with final bows... Here they are ..

I hope you like it, Steve

Here are some photos of the show:
http://s99.photobucket.com/user/steverogan/media/Eagles%20Mansfield%20July%2019%202013/IMG_0009.jpg.html

Here is Take it Easy and Rocky Mountain way ( 2nd and 3rd encores -- RMW is about 3/4 on this link the remainder is on a link you can find on the YT video page

Here is "Desperado -- full song with bows:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxRAHnWQjwU

I hope you like them. Boston Steve

Welcome, Steve! These vids are great! Nice photos, too. Thanks!

Shallow note: I wish Glenn had stripped down to the T-shirt at one of the shows I attended! Hotness!

boston steve
07-23-2013, 08:56 PM
I am glad you like them. I hope those who could not make it to a show, either due to financial, geographic, illness or other reasons, those who like to relive the "live" moments, and others who just love The Eagles, can enjoy some videos from those of us lucky to see the show live. Always an unforgettable show; I can't wait till November when we see them again.
PS MY photobucket also had many pix from LROE tour.

sodascouts
07-23-2013, 09:07 PM
Love your Fleetwood Mac vids too. They're my other favorite band!

Glennhoney
07-23-2013, 09:19 PM
WOW..amazing pictures...lots of great shots...thanks!!!!:razz:

Houston Baby
07-23-2013, 10:07 PM
Thank you Steve for the videos & review! Great job!! I love them & appreciate you sharing them with us!

And WELCOME from me too! I hope you enjoy it here! Your first post was aces!!! :thumbsup:

Houston Baby
07-23-2013, 10:09 PM
And thank you Soda for taking out the garbage!:thumbsup:

NYC Fan
07-23-2013, 10:20 PM
Steve:

Great pictures and videos! Thanks for sharing. Fantastic seats you had there :-)

Welcome!

Brooke
07-23-2013, 10:21 PM
Steve thanks so much for sharing your photos and videos with us! And I'm also glad you enjoyed the show!

Soda, I missed most of the fracus, but thanks for putting an end to it from the bits and pieces I did see. :yuck:

Windeagle
07-23-2013, 11:01 PM
Thanks for posting the videos, Steve! It's funny, I was there and don't remember half the details I see in the videos. Makes me realize just how mesmerized I was by the whole experience! Oh, and I was dancing pretty hard there too. :)

TimothyBFan
07-24-2013, 08:38 AM
Welcome and thank you, Steve!! It's so wonderful when a "newbie" comes on and shares something so special with us. That's what this forum is all about. Great work on your video and pictures!!

prayfordaylight
07-24-2013, 08:48 AM
Thanks for all the awesomeness Steve!

boston steve
07-24-2013, 02:07 PM
Thanks for posting the videos, Steve! It's funny, I was there and don't remember half the details I see in the videos. Makes me realize just how mesmerized I was by the whole experience! Oh, and I was dancing pretty hard there too. :)

Hi WE: It makes me happy to share with our fellow fans. I have seen your videos and truly appreciate them. ( At least there is a screename "Windeagle" on Youtube I assume is you).

I agree about missing stuff during the show. My wife wants me to NOT take pix, etc. and just enjoy the experience. I really love to take pix and videos because I have seen things I did not see "live". For example- I was at a Stones show taking pix and actually got a shot Martin Scorsese behind the drum kit watching with another person ( presumably scouting prior to his movie he did)

I am so happy to read the responses to my vids and pix. I love music, love The Eagles and other bands and love "shooting" them (only with a camera, of course-- I AM an animal lover). The music we grew up with is the fabric of our lives. It weaves people, friends, families, different cultures, and generations, our past and present, together. The Eagles and bands like Fleetwood Mac, The Stones, Steely Dan, Bob Seger, are precious to me. One day they (or I) will be gone. Going to a show brings me back to a time in my youth when things were less complicated and innocent ( don't get me wrong- I was no saint, nor am I a saint now, but I hope everyone understands the context). I am truly blessed to be able to enjoy and share these special moments of our lives with my wife and people like you and others on this and other boards.

I cannot wait til November @ MSG. I just need to figure out a way to convince my lovely wife to go to attend another show there...

Just looking forward to learn how to "Take it Easy"... respect to all, Steve.

WalshFan88
07-24-2013, 10:16 PM
ITC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kKUZqifnKIs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i75x_La0NC0

Those Shoes

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dLRkXAbxie4

HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vePzcs5qYTY

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyvSqJPBAcQ

TIE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NvVJYVFxqyc

LBG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jjhv3lHgCNE

LWKUA

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RCfrVxhBgho

BOML

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WJprEFlcGo8

RMW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMOSkvDQJDM

WW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_o30NnXXx5s

ICTYW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AFIBtXxSjtk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1R7X6p8TuG8

LITFL

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hRKFWp9xxP4

Windeagle
07-24-2013, 10:24 PM
Hi WE: It makes me happy to share with our fellow fans. I have seen your videos and truly appreciate them. ( At least there is a screename "Windeagle" on Youtube I assume is you).

I agree about missing stuff during the show. My wife wants me to NOT take pix, etc. and just enjoy the experience. I really love to take pix and videos because I have seen things I did not see "live". For example- I was at a Stones show taking pix and actually got a shot Martin Scorsese behind the drum kit watching with another person ( presumably scouting prior to his movie he did)

I am so happy to read the responses to my vids and pix. I love music, love The Eagles and other bands and love "shooting" them (only with a camera, of course-- I AM an animal lover). The music we grew up with is the fabric of our lives. It weaves people, friends, families, different cultures, and generations, our past and present, together. The Eagles and bands like Fleetwood Mac, The Stones, Steely Dan, Bob Seger, are precious to me. One day they (or I) will be gone. Going to a show brings me back to a time in my youth when things were less complicated and innocent ( don't get me wrong- I was no saint, nor am I a saint now, but I hope everyone understands the context). I am truly blessed to be able to enjoy and share these special moments of our lives with my wife and people like you and others on this and other boards.

I cannot wait til November @ MSG. I just need to figure out a way to convince my lovely wife to go to attend another show there...

Just looking forward to learn how to "Take it Easy"... respect to all, Steve.

Nope. The "Windeagle" on YouTube isn't me. I'm too technologically challenged for that. That's why my husband was taking the pictures!

I love your comments about the show and about music in general. I enjoy seeing live music of almost any sort. In days gone by, that was how I spent much of my disposable income, but these days, college bills and mortgage payments eat up any spare cash. Also, I lack a good concert buddy. My husband is a wonderful guy, but he has a very low concert tolerance. He'll go with me so I don't have to go alone, but he doesn't enjoy it and I have to go sparingly. I promised him this was the only show I'd drag him to this year.

boston steve
07-25-2013, 11:44 AM
Nope. The "Windeagle" on YouTube isn't me. I'm too technologically challenged for that. That's why my husband was taking the pictures!

I love your comments about the show and about music in general. I enjoy seeing live music of almost any sort. In days gone by, that was how I spent much of my disposable income, but these days, college bills and mortgage payments eat up any spare cash. Also, I lack a good concert buddy. My husband is a wonderful guy, but he has a very low concert tolerance. He'll go with me so I don't have to go alone, but he doesn't enjoy it and I have to go sparingly. I promised him this was the only show I'd drag him to this year.

HI Windeagle, sorry for confusing you with a different Windeagle. It sounds like you are very lucky to have a husband who will accommodate your desires to attend shows. My wife generally really likes to attend concerts; luckily we share a lt of the same tastes in music. If you had only one or two show you could attend you certainly chose a great one with The Eagles. Nice to meet you. All the best, steve

WalshFan88
07-29-2013, 01:55 PM
BOML

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSfMj6npH2k

WalshFan88
08-07-2013, 12:26 AM
PEF

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9KiH2DZiQAk

AG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o5JqhGTpJzc

NKIT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fu0BIsdcvzQ

HT

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dp_0Xqi0Ns0

LBG

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQYL_I05V6c

TLR

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5whTOCydSrk

HC

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IqaYdVgr_wg

secret squirrel
12-31-2013, 11:43 AM
Short review, likes TBS but still manages to spell his name wrong.

http://www.enterprisenews.com/blogs/music-scene/x1377019685/2013-Look-Back-Concerts-hot-new-jazz?rssfeed=trueSS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2013/11/poco-versus-eagles-to-every-thing-there.html