PDA

View Full Version : Don on vh1 some years ago

todd
07-31-2013, 06:22 PM
I am sure this has been asked and answered before, but I wouldn't know how to search for it. Several years ago, Don appeared on vh1 I think, with either no band or a very minimal one. He played all the usual songs, but his accompaniment was nothing but an electronic box of some kind that played weird sound effects.

This could have been some kind of opium fueled pipe dream, but I think I really did see it. Can anyone tell me what this was, and if video exists somewhere? Tia.

sodascouts
07-31-2013, 07:10 PM
He was on MTV Unplugged in the late 80s... but there was no electric box. I'm afraid I don't know what you're talking about - sorry!

Troubadour
08-01-2013, 05:39 AM
I think you're talking about VH1 Storytellers, in which he performs various songs (including a gorgeous, slow version of Boys of Summer) and a kind of funky/rap version of Life in the Fast Lane. I'm afraid I don't know where you could find a copy, though!

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2013, 12:48 PM
Glad you can post from Rhodes Troub! We just can't fight this addiction, can we?

sodascouts
08-01-2013, 10:27 PM
I've tried to block that version of LITFL out of my mind, lol.

Troubadour
08-02-2013, 05:18 AM
I know what you mean, Soda! But the way he looks, and the sultry way he sings Boys of Summer, makes it allll worthwhile.

SteveJoburg
08-03-2013, 08:18 AM
I think you're talking about VH1 Storytellers, in which he performs various songs (including a gorgeous, slow version of Boys of Summer) and a kind of funky/rap version of Life in the Fast Lane. I'm afraid I don't know where you could find a copy, though!

It was indeed VH1 Storytellers. It was recorded in 2000. I recorded it onto VHS (anyone still have a VHS player?!) and I then took the audio from that tape, including what I named "Life In The Fast Lane 2000"... His intro to the song is what made it great though... Tongue firmly in cheek talking about how young people would come up to him and say he needed to "update his sound"... Hence the sampler, which he smashes under his foot at the end of the song...:)

HenleyFan1971
10-07-2013, 11:13 PM
I just found this group today and also just located all my rare DVD with Don Henley a lot of them VH1 SNL still going through them amazing

Ive always been a dreamer
10-09-2013, 01:43 PM
Welcome HF1971. Glad you found us and you can never spend too much time watching Don on DVDs for sure! :headbang:

HenleyFan1971
10-09-2013, 05:07 PM
thx that is for sure been watching for a few days now found the mother load saw him solo a few times once is Arizona they were giving away tickets on a station when I lived there are they asked why should I win these tickets well I have a dog I named after Don his name is Henley and they said well you won the tickets great show

shunlvswx
10-09-2013, 05:10 PM
I was talking to her a friend of mines this week who is also a Don Henley fan and is seeing the guys in January. She named one of her dogs Henley too. I thought that was too cute.

HenleyFan1971
10-15-2013, 01:03 AM
So happy was able to Locate Heart of the matter video OMG love the long dark hair so happy I found you just cant stop watching it lol

Prettymaid
10-15-2013, 08:03 AM
Welcome from me too, HF1971!

HenleyFan1971
10-15-2013, 10:33 AM
thx so much:razz:

Shadowland07
02-06-2014, 05:24 PM
http://grooveshark.com/#!/album/VH1+Storytellers/3937674

Here ya go...still can't believe he rapped LITFL...scary

sodascouts
02-06-2014, 09:29 PM
It almost seems like he was trying to make it suck because he was mad that the producers insisted he do an Eagles song.

If so... he succeeded.

ktdids
02-07-2014, 02:50 AM
Having only recently experienced this song, seeing it and hearing it, I can't say I hate it or like it. I've never really seen the Storyteller shows, so is the format supposed to be about his entire career or just particular parts? What is interesting is the effort he put into making this version of LITFL, whether to twist the show runners into a knot about getting an EAGLES song or not, he put some thought and effort into it which he didn't necessarily have to do. His smirk and snarky "Here's your Eagles song!" conveys his feelings for the situation, and he delivered the song, its just not the Eagles doing it!

Houston Debutante
02-11-2014, 05:30 PM
I think it's brave of him to try something new and not play it safe. Okay maybe it isn't the best version of the song he ever did but still it was courageous.