PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 [10] 11 12 13

WalshFan88
06-14-2015, 03:43 PM
Sorry to hear about everyone's troubles...

---

Yesterday was Summer fest, and had a blast melting faces. \m/ :hilarious:

Tomorrow I leave for a week on Current River. Then I get a tattoo the day after I get back (my old Gibson SG will be the centerpiece).

Then I go to the ENT to find the results of my sinus CT scan and plan for surgery.

THEN I go to the orthopedic surgeon to find out about hip replacements.

Quite busy...

L101
06-14-2015, 04:03 PM
VA - I feel your pain - a TV station here showed JAG for a while last year - I got nothing done while it was on!!

DD - Good luck with your thesis - just keep that deadline in sight and it will all be over and you can listen to Don in peace :) Hopefully your thyroid will settle down when you get your meds sorted.

Austin - busy weeks ahead so I'll say good luck with all the docs appointments and hope you enjoy Current river - bit of a stupid question but is that an actual river with white water rafting etc or is it a place ?? :grin:
And don't forget to post a picture of your tattoo when its done !!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-14-2015, 04:20 PM
Austin, glad Ausfest went well! Def want to see pics of tattoo when you get it, and have fun at the river.

DD, I remember my sister having to work on her thesis. It was complicated by the fact she had part of her research in her car and it was stolen! Just remember to save your work often! When it's done, you can reward yourself with a lovely daydream of meeting Don.

Lacken, I got an email that said I should get it on Friday, so guess what I'll be doing next weekend :)

Brooke
06-15-2015, 10:15 AM
Lacken, I can answer you question about the Current River. It is an actual spring fed river that has some pretty good rapids and make for fun floating experiences. People go canoeing, tubing, floating, camping, etc. Lots of fun if you like the water! I've been once and hope to go again someday.

Austin, I want to see your tattoo too! And best of luck with your upcoming dr. appts!

Same old thing going on at my house. We fried fish Saturday evening with friends and our grandson was over too. Of course it rained right in the middle of it! Just enough to make it wet everywhere. :roll: Sick. of. rain.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-17-2015, 03:52 PM
So, more than a little bit torqued at the moment... I'm sure quite a few here in the States have heard about the OPM (Office of Personnel Management) data breach for Federal Employees. I'm not a federal employee, so I assumed I was safe. Heck no! Apparently there has been more than one data breach, and one or more of them included contractors. So someone out there has data about me that is incredibly scary. Every address I've had, every job I've held, why I left, and the names of all supervisors and their contact information. Names and addresses of neighbors where I grew up, names and addresses of neighbors where I've lived since. The full names, addresses, etc of all family members, including maiden names, including where they were born. Every arrest/conviction (or lack of). Every incident of illegal drug use (or lack of). How much alcohol I drink (or lack of). My complete credit history. Complete tax history. Every delinquent account, bankruptcy, lien (or lack of). Every civil action I may or may not have been a part of. Every Information Technology infraction committed (or lack of). Every personal contact I've had with any non-citizen. They even may have data on me that I don't even know about myself.

I already have a credit monitoring service, so I'm not as worried about that. It just bothers me that there's such deeply personal information in the hands of people I don't even know. I trusted our government to secure this information. It's not like I really had a choice in giving them the information to begin with.

With having all the data they have, including my social security number, they can pretty much find out any additional information they want about me that they don't already have. What makes me more angry is that OPM still hasn't been open about what was taken and when. I don't think they're trying to keep it from the media so they can 'spin' it. I think they really don't know. Anyway, this has put me in a rather lousy mood.

Glennsallnighter
06-18-2015, 04:41 AM
Well I'm home finally and already am snowed under. This has to be my most stressful year yet!

Austin, enjoy your Vacation, I'm delighted Ausfest went well, good luck with your medical meetings. I hope the treatment plans go well.

VA, that data breach sounds very scary. Try not to stress too much over it (easier said than done I know!).

DD, hope you get some of your energy back and that you can put your final push in for August!

Well an update on Mum. She is much better and is in a convalescent home for another 5 weeks or so. Consequently my brother, sister and I are taking turns to stay with Dad as he needs 24 hour supervision. My brother had suggested he stay with us, but while I would take him with a heart and a half he barely recognises his own home as it is. He woukd be totally confused if he came to ours. I woukd also have to get a number of 'safety measures' put in or he could end up falling down the stairs or similar. And we do not have a shower suitable For him either. I woukd never forgive myself if something happened to him in my care. Also his doctor recommended he stay where he is most familiar with. He is totally confused about the present as it us and barely recognised myself and Laura last night.

Coupled with I start exam marking today which is always intensive, and I've to take Laura to Taylor Swift TWICE in the next two weeks!

We were delayed initially by 24 hours coming home earlier this week, then by another 7 leaving Chicago on Tuesday night. However on the plus side we were all upgraded to Business class by AA. It was so funny watching Laura morph from the cool cynical 14 year old moaning as she boarded the plane into a highly impressed young lady. It was the first (and only) time she's ever been able to go business!! We actually got some sleep too.

Oh and finally I'm fighting a vicious chest infection since early last week. My voice is all but gone and I'm coughing like its going out of fashion. I'm on lemon, manuka honey and antibiotics and can only pray test it will be over soon and I can use the phone again!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-18-2015, 07:18 AM
GA, I can totally relate to the cough and no voice! A coworker at work has been going through the same thing, and of course, my voice still isn't totally better from last Feb.

I'm glad you made it home OK and weren't like the poor folks who left Chicago the day before you and ended up at some Canadian military base with no heat courtesy of United Airlines.

I'm glad you had a good time, it's a shame about your parents, but it sounds like things are getting better, which is good.

Stay strong!

L101
06-18-2015, 08:00 AM
GA - Glad you enjoyed your holiday, it was worth all the planning.

That cough/chest infection is horrible, I'm six weeks and counting with it even after antibiotics and steroids..its back with a force this week. Just keep taking the honey and lemon.

Glad to hear your Mum is getting better and when she comes out, she should feel a lot better, but it must be hard looking after your Dad. Hope he can settle down and feel more secure soon as he's in the best place he can be at the moment.

But at least you have the two Taylor Swift concerts to look forward to :grin:

Brooke
06-18-2015, 10:16 AM
Ga, glad you are back home safely! Best of luck with your dad and mom's situation and take it easy! Would love to hear and see pics of your vacation and Taylor Swift coming up!

I've been on staycation this week since Tuesday. I cleaned out my kitchen cabinets and also cleaned and polished the outsides on Tuesday. Yesterday I went to visit my Mom and took my dnl and grandson along. We ate out at the colony restaurant and had a good time. Mom was amazed at how big Cutter has gotten. Bethel, where she lives, is a small old German town (colony) with nothing much left except the big old brick buildings. They try to keep the heritage alive but it's fading fast.

Today? Mostly just my basic house cleaning. Such fun! I am going to watch a movie sometime today or tonight! It's hard to work them in with baseball games going on!

ETA: VA, this is awful for you! I hope they get whoever did it!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-20-2015, 01:22 AM
Brooke, all the govt is saying at the moment is that the "Chinese" did the data breaches. I guess we'll see how this pans out.

The JAG series DVDs were delivered this evening, and once the Pirates finished losing to the Nationals, I started watching. Watched an entire DVD, three episodes, but one was two-hour (originally). Sure is nice to not have commercials that need to be skipped over!

AlreadyGone95
06-21-2015, 06:40 PM
Today is Father's Day. For most, it's a day of joy and warmth spent with our dads. For me, it's a day of remembrance. In all honesty, I loathe this day. I've been seeing Facebook posts all day about dads, and it's hard to not want to just break down today. I only have a few good memories of my dad that are still vivid in my mind. The rest are fuzzy or are marred by unpleasant things. I don't have a photo of my dad and I together, and I only have a few of my dad as an adult.
It's even harder to deal with today because of the strained relationshipmy mom and I have. It's hard to want to talk to her about my dad because when I was a young teenager, my mom told me that "I can't stand to look at you because you remind too much of your dad". That one sentence created a wound that I don't think will ever heal.

I hate to bring others down on an otherwise happy day. (That actually makes me feel worse). I just hate days like today, being reminded that I didn't get to spend much time with my dad.

Glennsallnighter
06-26-2015, 10:05 AM
Sorry that fathers Day is not a pleasant experience for you AG.

I'm pretty much at my Dads at the moment. He's very confused without my mom around the place so I'm just talking to him and keeping his spirits up. Or trying to. Also trying to mark exams. The crazy thing is that any time I try to make or receive a call , he could be quite settled but immediately I answer he needs a drink, or he's dizzy or he needs to know who I am etc.

The expected date of discharge for my mom is the 24 July so we are hoping that stays true. Even if they still need help after that I think he will be happier in himself when he sees her at home. Mum is doing well but is very bored.

Brooke
06-26-2015, 11:25 AM
Ga, so sorry. Prayers for your mum and dad and all your family in dealing with this.

We are in flood stage around here. Rivers are swollen and over their banks and it's still raining. It doesn't affect me, but many in the area are. My sister's yard was flooded yesterday. It didn't get in her house, but it did in her neighbors. Our farmers have given up on getting any more planting done, so you know what that means for food prices eventually! I hope we don't see the disasters we saw back in 73 and 93, but it's not looking good.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-26-2015, 01:29 PM
GA, I'm sorry to hear about your situation. Will pray for your parents and you, and hope that your mother does get out when scheduled.

Brooke, it's a shame you can't put it all in tanks and ship it to CA! We've not had that much rain here, but we did get a lot last night. I hope your sister's home continues to stay out of the water!

bluefeather
06-26-2015, 04:49 PM
I hope you and your family and neighbors stay safe, Brooke

Glennsallnighter
06-27-2015, 07:55 AM
Thanks for the good wishes everyone. My Mum is improving every day so we are hopeful she will be at home soon. It will be good for Dad anyway even if she isn't allowed to do much. He is wandering around like a lost soul here, poor guy. Even her presence will be a balm to his soul.

Brooke please stay safe and your neighbours too. I hope the rain eases off soon. Its not pleasant at all.

AlreadyGone95
06-27-2015, 12:18 PM
GA, I hope that everything goes well for both of your parents :)

Brooke, I hope that everyone up there stays safe and that no else's house gets flooded. I made a mistake when I said in the weather thread a week ago that I'd trade ya some rain for the heat. It's been raining here every day since Tuesday!

As for myself, I've been in a funk since yesterday afternoon when my mom said something to me that's low even for her. We went to town to buy myself a new pair of sandals. I had a bit of money left, and my mom wanted to eat out for supper. I didn't because my back was killing me. My mom's response "just go kill yourself". Suffice it to say that that has really affected me and not in a good way. I can't believe that someone who "loves" you can even think something like that, much less say it!

L101
06-27-2015, 08:07 PM
GA - hope things are going ok with your dad. Your mum will be home before you know it.

Brooke - hope the flood situation hasn't gotten any worse.
We had floods near our house in 2009 as we live by the river Shannon and my dad refused to leave the house, so my parents ended up being evacuated by the army where they lifted my dad who was in a wheelchair, into the back of an army truck!!
And the whole thing was captured by the television news so everyone saw them - its funny now :) Thankfully we didn't have as much damage as the other houses around us.

DJ
06-27-2015, 10:28 PM
I hope all works out well for what all are going through.

Not a whole lot happening in my life. I have my kids out of college and living here with us, Yikes...Really it's not too bad they are good kids. I love having my son around and he didn't get a summer job so he's been helping me a lot around the house. I treasure these moments because he's majoring in Petroleum Eng. and in 2 years I know that job will take him far away from us. Otherwise just playing with the puppies in the 100 degree heat and enjoying life. I am officially retired not that I'm old enough to retire, but medical issue do those things to people. So I accept it and move on through life.... :soda:

Tiffanny Twisted
06-28-2015, 08:54 AM
Dj. Everyday is Saturday when you are retired

try and make the best of iT

Lol I was just saying how much I missed my son coming on Sunday after church .
We would go grab lunch at wegmans and then he'd help me food shop

Haha it always cost me lunch since I paid and. My food bill was higher cause he always needed milk and juice etc and when he'd get things that I needed he would always bring me the gigundo size cause it was cheaper even though I wanted the small size lol
But he always knew where things went in the kitchen and pantry and put them away.

I know he's happy and building his life which is hiw I raised him but I sure miss him being closer to us here at home:-(:)

Brooke
06-29-2015, 02:16 PM
Lacken, that is too funny about your parents! I'm sure it wasn't funny at the time though!

I'm not really affected by this flood, but I know a lot of people that are. My sister's house didn't get any water in it, but her neighbors did. Her yard was covered, but after the water went down, you couldn't hardly even tell it had been over it! Lucky!

Some friends nearly 20 miles away own a trailer park and it was flooded when a levee broke Saturday night. Everyone there (40 homes and about 100 people) lost nearly everything. It was all very unexpected and happened very quickly. The last time that area flooded (1993) they got most of the trailers moved out. If you are my friend on Fb, I have pictures of the area.

Also an old iron bridge that was built in 1910 came down in another area about 5 miles from where I live. It wasn't used a lot, but had been maintained. It's sad that an old relic like that is now gone. I have pics of it on Fb, too.

It's amazing what water can do when it gets out of control!

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2015, 03:53 PM
I've seen most of the pics, I think. With my JAG marathon continuing, I haven't had much time for Facebook! I'm glad your sister escaped unscathed. Do you have a lot more rain in the forecast? Oddly for us, we haven't had an overage of rain. I know back in DC they are saying it's the third wettest June on record, and people are making ark references on Facebook.

UndertheWire
06-29-2015, 05:26 PM
It all changes from here. In the last week, my younger son has finished (high) school, gone to Glastonbury and is about to go on his first independent holiday (ie without anybody's parents). At the end of the summer he should be off to university. In the middle of this, I took my elder son to the airport so he could fly to the US to work for the summer (J1 visa). I'm hoping he gets it out of his system and will choose to work in the UK when he graduates next year. It makes me wonder how my parents felt when 3 of 4 children moved overseas (I was the one who stayed).

Compared with floods and ageing parents, this is easy stuff, so I'm fortunate.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-29-2015, 06:32 PM
UTW, it's a big thing!! It's one of those things that's good and bad. You raised them to be the fine young people they are and have a lot to be proud of. And yet...the nest is feeling empty.

Brooke
06-30-2015, 01:40 PM
UtW, that must be hard to see them leave and go overseas! At least it's just for the summer, so far. I remember when my daughter packed up her car and moved to Texas all by herself. It was very hard to see her moving that far away. Overseas, I can't even imagine! Good luck to both of your sons. Life changes for all of you, for sure.

VA, we've had the wettest June on record and rain is in the forecast every day for the next week, still! Looks like it's going to be one of those summers. It's hard to even get the yard mowed and have it look nice. If you don't mow wet, it's a hayfield. If you mow wet, it leaves muddy tracks. It's driving my hubby crazy! He dotes on the yard and flowers. :crazy:

AlreadyGone95
06-30-2015, 04:00 PM
Brooke, I'm in the same boat as your husband. I do most of the outside work around here, and every time I think about mowing the grass, it starts raining. :-x. It's been like this for a week. The grass almost knee high!

I have something that I might do. Occasionally, I post "rants" of various subjects on Facebook. Basically, just whatever is on my mind at the time. I posted one last night. Well, a friend(mom of a childhood friend) said that she loves my style of writing and my way with words. She suggested that I write a book. I literally started laughing at the idea. I've never considered writing to be one of my strong points. I don't think that my writing (grammar, etc) is good enough for a book.
For the heck of it, I decided to ask all of FB friends what they thought. Several of them believe that I should write an autobiography. Why, I really don't know. Granted, I've faced challenges and obstacles that few kids face. However, I'm just a 19 y/o without alot real life experiences! I thought that autobiographies or memoirs were for people who had done something important or were famous! I mean, who's going to want to read it? Maybe i'm blind, but I don't really see much reason for a no name, extremely young person like myself, to do this. :shrug:
Well, my friend has decided to help me by buying me a notebook(one of those old subject books I used in school) and writing materials. I'd use a computer, but I don't have much access without my mom around (she'd scoff at the idea and then proceed to make fun of me for doing this). I will eventually type it on a computer, though, and make it into a file. She really wants me to do this, so I'll give it a shot.
I can see myself writing short stories, like I've done in the past. I don't think that I could see myself writing for a living. If I ever get my lazy butt in college, I'll most likely major in some form of history. At least it'll give me something to do.

Jonny Come Lately
07-02-2015, 10:14 AM
I will be going to Silverstone this weekend to watch the British Grand Prix. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm hoping for a great race. Even if the racing isn't brilliant though Silverstone is a very historic racing track and remains one of the best circuits on the calendar with its challenging high speed corners contrasting with some of the dull, sterile modern new build tracks. I will be sitting between the Luffield and Woodcote corners (you get to see a lot of the cars there as they have to negotiate a complex before accelerating down the following straight). These corners are denoted on the circuit map shown on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverstone_Circuit

I will be staying at a hotel fairly close to the circuit, about 15 miles away, but as I cannot be sure I will have internet access this is the cause of the probable delay in the Battle of the Bands.

I have been several times before - qualifying in 2007, funnily enough before I really got into F1, then once I was a fan I saw the races from 2008-2011 and again in 2013, but this is the first time I will see both the qualifying sessions and the race live. I have been lucky enough to see Lewis Hamilton win his home race in 2008 and am hoping he can match that achievement. I also like Jenson Button, but he usually struggles at Silverstone, and this year's McLaren-Honda isn't a winning machine by any stretch of the imagination so he'll be lucky to finish the race.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-02-2015, 10:15 AM
Have a good time, JCL!!!

Brooke
07-02-2015, 04:05 PM
Have fun , JCL! I don't know much about racing, but it's a popular thing in America, for sure!

I have a day off tomorrow and will probably do my chores that would have been done on Saturday since it's the 4th of July. Clean, grocery shop, etc. Fun times! lol

Glennsallnighter
07-02-2015, 06:59 PM
GA - hope things are going ok with your dad. Your mum will be home before you know it.

Brooke - hope the flood situation hasn't gotten any worse.
We had floods near our house in 2009 as we live by the river Shannon and my dad refused to leave the house, so my parents ended up being evacuated by the army where they lifted my dad who was in a wheelchair, into the back of an army truck!!
And the whole thing was captured by the television news so everyone saw them - its funny now :) Thankfully we didn't have as much damage as the other houses around us.

I remember seeing those pics on the TV Lacken!!

L101
07-02-2015, 07:01 PM
I remember seeing those pics on the TV Lacken!!

I was famous for 15 seconds :grin:

Freypower
07-02-2015, 07:03 PM
I will be going to Silverstone this weekend to watch the British Grand Prix. I'm really looking forward to it, I'm hoping for a great race. Even if the racing isn't brilliant though Silverstone is a very historic racing track and remains one of the best circuits on the calendar with its challenging high speed corners contrasting with some of the dull, sterile modern new build tracks. I will be sitting between the Luffield and Woodcote corners (you get to see a lot of the cars there as they have to negotiate a complex before accelerating down the following straight). These corners are denoted on the circuit map shown on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Silverstone_Circuit

I will be staying at a hotel fairly close to the circuit, about 15 miles away, but as I cannot be sure I will have internet access this is the cause of the probable delay in the Battle of the Bands.

I have been several times before - qualifying in 2007, funnily enough before I really got into F1, then once I was a fan I saw the races from 2008-2011 and again in 2013, but this is the first time I will see both the qualifying sessions and the race live. I have been lucky enough to see Lewis Hamilton win his home race in 2008 and am hoping he can match that achievement. I also like Jenson Button, but he usually struggles at Silverstone, and this year's McLaren-Honda isn't a winning machine by any stretch of the imagination so he'll be lucky to finish the race.

Wow. Have fun I will be cheering for Lewis as always! :thumbsup:

DJ
07-02-2015, 09:47 PM
Surviving the heat 100 almost everyday. The trees along the roadsides look horrible. We need RAIN. Fish are going to start dying in the creeks because the water temp is above 68. Whoever thought MT would turn into AZ! I actually have to put a cold wet towel on my puppy to cool him down at night. He's almost completely black with thick hair, poor baby. Other than that enjoying life. Finally fully retired and enjoying every minute...:)

Brooke
07-04-2015, 12:09 PM
Happy 4th of July everyone in the USA!

Wishing you all a safe and wonderful day with family and friends!

We have a family barbecue this evening which includes fireworks at dusk! :soda:

AlreadyGone95
07-04-2015, 12:33 PM
Happy independence day to my fellow Americans :).

I don't have any plans set in stone yet. I plan to spend this afternoon watching the movie Gettysburg and reading the book The Killer Angels because I didn't have time during the actual anniversary (July 1st-3rd). This evening, I should be watching fireworks somewhere, weather permitting. I don't think that there will be any grilling, unfortunately.

My allergies have picked today to go crazy, so I might end up just staying home.

Jonny Come Lately
07-08-2015, 07:25 AM
I'll finally get round to writing about my experiences at the British Grand Prix. I had a fantastic time!

On Saturday I witnessed the final free practice session and qualifying from the grandstand on the Pits Straight (between Club and Abbey corners) as the qualifying tickets were roving. From my seat in the grandstand I had a great overview of the pits during the qualifying session and could see when the all of the cars were going out to set their lap times or returning to the pits to change tyres. I was also able to see a number of famous people in the pitlane before the session spotted - I noticed the BBC F1 presenters Suzi Perry, David Coulthard and Eddie Jordan, the Williams team principal Sir Frank Williams, Mercedes GP non-executive chairman (and former triple F1 world champion) Niki Lauda and Kimi Raikkonen, the notoriously taciturn Ferrari driver. I was delighted when Lewis took pole as having watched the Friday practice sessions I thought his Mercedes team mate Nico Rosberg might have the upper hand.

I must admit even as a huge F1 fan this season so far has been a bit underwhelming (the difference between car-engine packages has been too great, with the Mercedes works team having by far the best car and engine, while the Renault and Honda engines have been struggling badly for performance and reliability). Fortunately the race itself was a shot in the arm for F1 and the best of the season so far IMO. It was great when the Williams drivers, Massa and Bottas shot into the lead at the start as it put Mercedes, who have been dominant since the start of 2014, on the back foot. The Williams cars were fast and the four cars ran very close in the opening laps, pulling away from the rest of the field. They weren't overtaking each other, but they were racing each other which made it exciting.

Hamilton took the lead after putting in a couple of quick laps after his pit stop and retained this through the middle of the race until it started raining lightly, which allowed Rosberg to pass the two Williams cars, which struggled in the wet conditions, and get onto Lewis's tail. At the time it seemed as though Nico might be able to snatch the victory but then it started raining more heavily. Lewis came in to swap his slick dry tyres for treaded 'intermediate' tyres at the exact correct moment, securing him the victory. I had seen him win the British GP in 2008, but while his performance then had been brilliant it was fairly clear long before the end that he would win the race as long as he stayed on the track, whereas he was never secure here until the finish. Rosberg and Ferrari's Sebastian Vettel joined him on the podium. It was absolutely brilliant to be there to see it all happen! :partytime:

I think I mentioned that Jenson Button would be lucky to finish the Grand Prix in his troublesome McLaren-Honda. Unfortunately he didn't even finish lap one, after getting caught up in an accident. Unlike Lewis though, he rarely does well at Silverstone and has never finished on podium here. I can only guess that the pressure of his home race seems to get him a bit more whereas Lewis seems to thrive on it.

Although I do support Lewis I would have been very happy to see either Williams driver win the race. I admire the team for their commitment to going racing, they are not in the sport to sell road cars or energy drinks and do not threaten to leave if they aren't winning. For F1 to stay around in the medium to longer term independent teams must have a chance of succeeding as history shows that manufacturers are fickle (even the now dominant Mercedes team considered withdrawing a couple of years).

I must admit I could talk (or write) about F1 for ages. Would it be okay if I started a 'Motorsport' thread in this section? It could be open to the Indy 500, Moto GP bikes, the lot, not just Formula One. I know there is the Sporting Sensations thread but F1 discussion tends to seem a bit out of place amongst the team sports.

Brooke
07-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Glad you had a good time, jcl!

I know nothing about racing, but it wouldn't bother me if you wanted to start a thread about it. There might be some other fans of it here.

Jonny Come Lately
07-08-2015, 10:51 AM
Formula One is very complex, and has only become more complex in recent years as new concepts like KERS (Kinetic Energy Recovery Systems), DRS (Drag Reduction System - essentially an adjustable rear wing which reduces drag and increases the car's top speed). I can totally understand why some people watching it get baffled by the various acronyms and jargon that the commentators use. It is difficult to find the balance between enabling newcomers to adequately understand what is going on, without coming across as patronising to the long term fans.

One interesting thing about Formula One is its strained relationship with the United States. This is partially due to the popularity of other series, especially NASCAR, whereas F1 is generally agreed to be the pinnacle of European motorsport. All of the teams in the modern era have been based in Europe, mostly in a small area of England near Silverstone, although the Canadian GP is a long running and very popular race. At one point in the 1980s there were three different US rounds, but for the best part of a decade in the 1990s there was actually no race in the States at all. There was much excitement when it was announced F1 would return to America in 2000 at the iconic Indianapolis Motor Speedway ('The Brickyard'), but unfortunately this was not as successful as hoped.

The Indianapolis race was doomed to fail after the disastrous 2005 event, where one of the tyre suppliers brought unsafe tyres extremely liable to fail on the high speed banked curve part of the circuit. No one was seriously injured but a compromise solution allowing an acceptable spectacle to take place could not be found, for whatever reason, and all bar six cars withdrew before the start, leaving an absolute joke of a 'race' involving just the two Ferraris and the two slowest teams, with spectators throwing beer cans at the cars as they went round. A full account of this sorry episodes can be read below:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2005_United_States_Grand_Prix

The race was dropped a couple of years later. F1 did not return to the US until 2012 when a new circuit at Austin, Texas made its debut. Happily, the track seems to have gone down well so far among the drivers and fans, with its elevation changes providing a good contrast to the IMO mostly rather sterile tracks introduced in Asia in recent years.

In short... I think I'd probably start a new thread. :hilarious:

Glennsallnighter
07-08-2015, 05:11 PM
Great insight into F1 JCL and I'm delighted you had such a good time at Silverstone. I used watch it a lot in the 80s with my brother who was an avid fan. It was dangerous though. I remember quite a few drivers being killed on the circuit, Ayrton Senna probably being the most notable. I liked Eddie Irvine (who didn't)

It kinda got boring by the late 90s (or maybe my brother and I had different ways of spending Sunday afternoons!)

I'm just done marking exam and will just need to bag them all up and send them back to the State Exams Commission tomorrow or Friday. Still staying with Dad for the next 2 weeks or so - because I'm on my holidays I've had to put more time in as my brother and sister both work. But my Mum is getting better every day. We had her home for lunch on Sunday last and hope to do the same this week too.

WalshFan88
07-08-2015, 05:15 PM
Hope everyone is doing well. Well wishes to those who aren't.

Things are ok here. I'm going to be having double hip replacements soon, as soon as August. Still figuring out the day and all of the paperwork BS, but I'll soon be having that done.

My Sinus CT scan was normal, so it's basically just allergies causing my sinus infections.

AlreadyGone95
07-08-2015, 06:36 PM
Austin, sorry to hear that you're going to need a double hip replacement. My god father has it done twice, and I've seen the recovery from the 2nd time. It's not an easy surgery to recover from! I hope that goes well for you!

As I've just posted in the weather thread, a horrible thunderstorm just developed out of nowhere. Alot of my friends/family are without power or are caught in the storm coming home from work. My uncle just called me and said that the power lines for him just came down. (He lives 7 miles to the north of me). We still have power, but the storm ain't over yet.

Brooke
07-09-2015, 09:24 AM
Austin, I'm sorry to hear that, but if it helps your pain, so be it. Best of luck to you!

WalshFan88
07-13-2015, 03:39 AM
Thanks!

DivineDon
07-13-2015, 09:48 AM
Good luck, Austin, just try and keep positive :)

WalshFan88
07-15-2015, 10:03 PM
Thanks again everyone.

The pre-surgery process is moving along, I should know a tentative (perhaps definite) surgery date or at least time-frame tomorrow. I went for the templating XRAY today (where they figure out leg lengths and size of parts to order) and they will call me tomorrow with more news.

It's looking like both hips at once using the anterior method. A 4-5 day hospital stay. About a 3 hour surgery. If something would change, it would be a 1.5 hour surgery and they would be 3 months apart using the posterior method. It just depends if the surgeon is comfortable with the anterior approach due to be being big & tall.

Now I've had a dozen or so surgeries and normally I never sweat it too much, but this one I am. It needs to be done, and I want it done, but it is a massive undertaking of recovery and preop "stuff" compared to the last, say, 3 or so surgeries I've had. I've had more invasive surgeries, but I've had less invasive surgeries too. My last two were outpatient eye surgeries and were a piece of cake.

I will be staying with my grandmother and stepgrandpa for the first week while I rehab and get steady footing as our house is filled with stairs and rowdy dogs, both of which could prove to be a LOT. Also my mom and dad will be working during the week and I'll need daily care and people to take me to physical therapy/rehab so it will work well. They have high speed internet and a comfy bed, and even a guitar! I won't have my collection I have here but I think I'll live. :hilarious: They don't have any dogs, just cats, and their house is one level with no stairs so I can do that until my PT can get me doing stairs better.

Brooke
07-16-2015, 09:24 AM
Sounds like you are going in with a good attitude, Austin. I hope you have a very fast recovery and this works out good for you. Sounds like your grandparents house will be the perfect place for you to recover. Prayers for you!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 10:33 AM
Ditto for me, Austin! I'm sure everything will go fine, and the recovery will be worth it. I don't blame you for being nervous, but you'll do fine! Just keep us informed...

Houston Baby
07-16-2015, 12:52 PM
My prayers are with you Austin! You should feel so much better when this is all done and therapy completed. Your positive attitude will help alot plus you have all our prayers and good wishes! Let us know the date when you find out for sure. :hug:

AlreadyGone95
07-16-2015, 02:02 PM
I echo what everyone else has said, Austin. My thoughts are with you. I hope that it all goes smoothly for you. :)

L101
07-16-2015, 04:24 PM
Best of luck with the surgeries Austin. You seem to have the perfect attitude for this and it will fly. You'll be out and about before long. Keep us up to date when you can :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-16-2015, 05:58 PM
I went out shoe shopping after work, and saw a pair of sneakers with One Direction printed all over them, along with the band members' names. Seriously, I can't make this stuff up. (No, I did not buy a pair... :D)

Glennsallnighter
07-16-2015, 06:39 PM
Good luck with the op Austin. I don't think its as bad as you anticipate. My Dad had it done about 5 years ago and he is so much more mobile. He was up and walking about 2 days afterwards (with the help of a frame). Normally here you stay in hospital for about 10 days and then rehab for the next 2 weeks or so but because his memory loss and confusion was so bad the decided not to move him at all. But he just got better and better all the time which was great for an 85 year old who could barely walk before it. I'm sure you'll do great.

VA, our shops were flooded a short while ago with 1-D merchandise as well. I'm delighted mine were never really into them. One was too young, the other too 'musically discerning'!! :eyeroll:

Witchy Woman
07-16-2015, 07:28 PM
I went out shoe shopping after work, and saw a pair of sneakers with One Direction printed all over them, along with the band members' names. Seriously, I can't make this stuff up. (No, I did not buy a pair... :D)

You totally should have !! I would sport them for feces and giggles !!

Brooke
07-17-2015, 09:54 AM
VA, you should have gotten them! :lol:

That reminds me of a pair of tennis shoes with Cardinals logos all over them. My daughter would love them, but they're too expensive!

Houston Baby
07-17-2015, 10:15 AM

Now if it was EAGLES and their names on them.......:hmm:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-17-2015, 02:23 PM
HB, if it had been Eagles, I'd have been all over them. Not sure I'd wear them, though. My friends all already think I'm loony over the guys, and today didn't help. When posting something to the EOC Facebook page, I forgot to point it in that direction and it posted on my personal timeline instead. I didn't notice until several people 'liked' it. Oh well, I guess it's good they know Don has an album coming out!

Due to the dentist appointment, I'm working at my company's office today instead of the customer site. The AC is broken and it's 91 and extremely humid outside. We are up to 84 in here now, and there's still two hours to go...

Houston Baby
07-17-2015, 02:57 PM
Yuck! That happened once in our office and it was not fun especially after lunch. We were all full from lunch and then add the warmness, we all just wanted to crawl under our desks and take a nap.

And speaking about being loony over our guys, I had a woman from another dept. come up to me this morning and exclaim "Now I know why you love the Eagles so much!" She said she watched the HOTE documentary last night for the first time and said she did not know they could sing like that and were so talented. She is a fan now!! :thumbsup:

Brooke
07-17-2015, 03:13 PM
HB, has she been living under a rock or what? :lol:

VA, horrible conditions! I say, go home!

AlreadyGone95
07-17-2015, 03:14 PM
I remember in 8th grade, during the middle of August, my school's a/c broke down for 2 weeks. Mot only that, but at times the heat was on. It was hotter inside than it was outside! By the end of those 2 weeks, us students were about teady to go on strike :lol:.

HB, that's great that another person has been made a fan! :)

Brooke
07-20-2015, 11:47 AM
Today is my 41st wedding anniversary! Seems like a dream now it was so long ago! :wink:

Actually, I can't believe it's been this long! It hasn't always been easy, but we have persevered and have always been determined to work it out and make it last. Lots of valleys but more mountains and I'd do it all again with this man if I had to! Sweetest husband in the world and he's always put me and our kids first. Here's to 41 more! Let's see, we'll each be 100! :lol: :cheers:

Houston Baby
07-20-2015, 12:55 PM
Congratulations Brooke & hubby!!

I love reading about your family trips and projects. It sounds like you & hubby know what is important and have your priorities straight. :cheers: to lots more happy, healthy years!

L101
07-20-2015, 02:43 PM
Congrats Brooke & your Hubby!!

Here's to many more years fun and happiness ! :cheers:

Glennsallnighter
07-20-2015, 02:54 PM
Congratulations to you Brooke and your husband and I know too that you have reared two wonderful successful children and are on the way with your adorable little grandson!

NOLA
07-20-2015, 08:34 PM
Congrats, Brooke, and I wish you and your husband many happy more!:):heart:

AlreadyGone95
07-20-2015, 09:45 PM
Congrats on 41 years of marriage Brooke!

That's a long time together! :)

zeldabjr
07-20-2015, 11:09 PM
Congratulations to you and your hubby Brooke!!! that is quite an accomplishment!

Brooke
07-21-2015, 08:53 AM
Thank you all! :smile:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-21-2015, 05:27 PM
Congratulations, Brooke!!! In this day and age, that's an amazing accomplishment. You both look so young, it wouldn't surprise me if you made it another 41.

DJ
07-21-2015, 09:54 PM
CONGRATULATIONS BROOKE & HUBBY AND MANY MORE HAPPY YEARS TOGETHER!! :thumbsup:

Brooke
07-21-2015, 10:27 PM
Congratulations, Brooke!!! In this day and age, that's an amazing accomplishment. You both look so young, it wouldn't surprise me if you made it another 41.

If we do, we will both be 100 years old! :lol:

Thanks everyone! We celebrated Friday evening with dinner out at a barbecue place!

I am on stay cation this week and am not doing much. The last two weeks I was off I nearly worked myself to death. I didn't have any plans for this week, just taking it as it comes.

Today I canned tomato juice-9 quarts. We are about the only ones around that are having tomatoes. Most everyone's plants have drowned. Our garden is slightly sloped, so it drains and the garden is producing pretty well. Tomatoes and cucumbers and peppers mostly. Some potatoes and green beans. (More than I really care about.) The carrots got ready before I realized it and got eaten by bugs. The corn is not doing much. If the squirrels don't eat it, there might be a few small ears. It's not a big garden, just enough for us and our son's family. More of a fun project than anything except we do try to can tomato juice for chili in the winter. It just tastes better than store bought.

The grandson came over for a visit this evening. He is such fun to have, but I'm usually worn out when he goes home! He's 18 months old today and started the terrible twos about 6 months ago! He's EVERYWHERE! :angel:

Tomorrow I'm taking my mom's sister (92) to visit my mom (83) and going out for lunch. Should be quite an exciting day! :wink:

WalshFan88
07-22-2015, 01:59 AM
Congrats Brooke!

Tiffanny Twisted
07-22-2015, 06:35 AM
Congras to you
Its a lot of work and a big comorimose all the eay around evenn when you don't want too

VAisForEagleLovers
07-22-2015, 06:56 PM
OK, everyone, I need your prayers! The company I work for did not win the re-compete on the contract I work on, but several companies have submitted protests. Due to that, we will get at least a 3 month bridge, perhaps longer, and perhaps be awarded the contract later. All that is great, except in an effort to control costs, the company has decided to let a few go early, so my job will end on 9/15.

I've been looking for a job rather haphazardly, being picky about the jobs and locations, however now I'll need to find what I can where I can. So, any prayers would be appreciated!

L101
07-22-2015, 07:02 PM
So sorry to hear that VA - I know what its like, I was let go 2.5 years ago now, and still looking for a job. Hopefully, you can get a job somewhere really nice and it won't be as stressful. Sending positive thoughts...:)

AlreadyGone95
07-22-2015, 07:11 PM
Sending positive thoughts and vibes your way VA. I hope that you find a good job soon! :)

Freypower
07-22-2015, 08:03 PM
I hope the same.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-22-2015, 09:01 PM
Thank you, everyone. I just got done updating my profile on LinkedIn. Words cannot express how much I detest LinkedIn, but according to our recruiters, companies often look on LinkedIn first and if no hits there, then they pay to advertise on real job boards. I applied at a company earlier where you have to create a username/password (somewhat typical), and they asked if I'd rather create a profile using Facebook. Seriously. Of course I said 'no'.

Brooke
07-22-2015, 10:37 PM
Prayers for you VA! I'm sure something will work out for you!

Glennsallnighter
07-23-2015, 12:57 PM
Oh my goodness VA, I hope you find a new and suitable job very soon. Soda (who is with me at the moment also ) sends her best wishes to you too.

bluefeather
07-23-2015, 06:51 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you VA

belated congrats to Brooke and hubby, here's to many many more years!:cheers:

after a very quiet June my job situation has improved a bit and now I get the occasional shift in one of the old people's homes I work for
also another thing to cheer about: I'm moving out of my shared student's apartment into my own and it's bigger than the one I had before I moved into this city, woot!

Houston Baby
07-23-2015, 08:20 PM
I'm so sorry to hear this VA. Prayers are being said and positive thoughts sent.

Houston Baby
07-23-2015, 08:23 PM
Good to hear positive news for you BF! :thumbsup:

Roey
07-23-2015, 09:55 PM
VA, keeping you in my prayers. You are smart, have great communication skills, do a great job on this board researching and organizing and have a fantastic sense of humor. My guess is you won't be unemployed for long, if at all. Best wishes to you.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-23-2015, 09:58 PM
Roey, I just may have to use you as a reference!!

Thanks for all the thoughts and prayers, everyone, keep them coming. I was thinking back today to a dream I had a month or so ago, I think I posted it here in this thread about following a path through a dark storm.

BF, good for you! I hope things continue to get better.

Roey
07-23-2015, 10:08 PM
It would be a pleasure if I could to provide a reference. My husband's job was "eliminated" the day we went to the AC concert. No matter what the bad news, Eagles music eases the pain. Now if we can only find a cure for P.E.W. !

jms18222
07-23-2015, 10:45 PM
Prayers sent VA. It is a scary economy. The friend I went to AC just started a new job.

I put off having "minor" heart surgery so I could attend the Atlantic City concert. I see the doctor the 1st week in August to schedule this procedure.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-23-2015, 11:16 PM
Well, Roey, thank you for the kind words, and I hope your husband finds a new job quickly. You are right about the music from our guys helping out with things.

JMS, I hope everything goes well with your appointment and upcoming procedure.

Brooke
07-24-2015, 09:03 AM
jms, you put off a heart procedure? Now that's dedication! Best of luck with the upcoming procedure!

jms18222
07-24-2015, 06:17 PM
jms, you put off a heart procedure? Now that's dedication! Best of luck with the upcoming procedure!

YES! I paid too dang much money for those tickets. I had my Nitro with me! It did make people sit down in front of me so I had an amazing view. My feelings were these guys are in their later 60's so this may very well be it. Now all I have to do is get through a Pirate/Dodger game.

Thanks for the good wishes everyone. I am going to be fine because we caught this early & I do have to be okay for the Philly show.

DivineDon
07-25-2015, 06:08 AM
I've only just caught up on this thread so I'm so sorry to hear your bad news, VA, I hope everything gets sorted for you. Also, best wishes to you Roey and I hope your husband finds something too.

And JMS, the boys should have paid for your ticket!!! Giving up a procedure just to see them! Still, I know seeing Don would be better than any medicine for me!! :hilarious:

NOLA
07-25-2015, 09:50 AM
Sending wishes of good luck with the job searches to VA and Roey!

JMS, I wish you a speedy recovery and continued good health!

DJ
07-26-2015, 05:24 PM
Let's see....Residing the back of our house, had to tear off the deck to do this. Only to find the deck was rotten...So now rebuilding the deck and correcting a lot of errors done by the original builder. Fun times in MT

Glennsallnighter
07-27-2015, 03:45 AM
Oh goodness DJ, I hope it doesn't cost too much to redo your decking. I hate when a small straightforward job becomes a major awkward issue. Every feel sorry you started it in the first place?

Brooke
07-27-2015, 03:10 PM
DJ, some of the fun of owning your own home! Good luck getting it all done!

Roey
07-27-2015, 08:57 PM
JMS....with your positive attitude, I am sure your procedure will go well, wish you the best.

I had to smile at your priorities...heart procedure or Eagles...heart procedure or Eagles...heart procedure or Eagles....mmmmm:)

WalshFan88
07-27-2015, 10:58 PM
VA, JMS, and Roey - best wishes coming your way!

DJ - Congrats!

AlreadyGone95
07-28-2015, 05:12 PM
When I joined a few months ago, I posted about trying to decide what to about college and my career path. I still don't know what exactly to do, but I have filled out a "request information" form for the local college. It's a former 2 year local college that a few years ago became a state school. It's obviously the best option around here since I got a GED instead of a regular diploma. I requested info about the History and English departments.

I'm very hindered because of the lack of transportation. The college is 25 miles away, and I currently can't drive(legally). A friend suggested see about carpooling, but in a town of 600, there's no one to carpool with! I had thought about maybe moving in to the college housing, but with my anxiety and other problems, that's not a good idea unless I don't have to share a room. Online classes would be my best option, if they're available. Once I get the information, I should know.

It would probably be best if I could actually go to the college and talk to the people in charge of admissions. I would be able to explain my situation better, I'm sure. I don't know about my mom taking me there. Sometimes she ok with doing things like that to help me better myself. Other times, she's not.
I'm also worried about tuition costs. I really don't want to waist deep in debt! Hopefully, I'll get an information packet in the mail in the next week or so, and go from there.
I'll also to take the SAT or ACT. I don't plan on trying to attend until at least Spring 2016.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-29-2015, 08:42 AM
AG95, getting as much information as you can is great idea.

I had some sort of stomach issue over the weekend, and now it seems to have settled into some kind of cold. In the last few years I've had pneumonia and bronchitis and sinus infections, but I've not had a regular cold in years. I hate them! With the others, you might feel worse, but you know you can go to the doctor and get meds that will make you feel better. You know, you feel like you're doing something to make yourself better. A cold just runs its course, and you know you get to be miserable until it decides to go away.

Brooke
07-29-2015, 09:24 AM
Yuk, I hate colds too, VA. Hope you feel better soon!

Glennsallnighter
07-29-2015, 06:08 PM
So true what you say about colds VA. The common cold is one of the hardest illnesses to cure, because it viral in origin. However I do find that anything with Paracetamol can help make the symptoms easier to bear. Some preparations we have here are Day Nurse and Night Nurse, they can kick the symptoms into touch if you have an important meeting or interview. Try to stay warm and cosy and have plenty of hot fluids.

Houston Baby
07-29-2015, 11:18 PM
My mom always said a cold was 3 days coming, 3 days staying & 3 days going which pretty much ran true for me in it lasted @ 9 days. :-(
Have a hot toddy VA. It will help with the cold & PEW.
Feel better! :hug:

DJ
07-30-2015, 03:02 PM
Oh goodness DJ, I hope it doesn't cost too much to redo your decking. I hate when a small straightforward job becomes a major awkward issue. Every feel sorry you started it in the first place?

Boy and that's a true statement, it has snowballed! Also went to wash clothes in my front load washer and my bedding got caught ripped the balance ring and broke the inside of the door! No replacement parts available anymore. It's only a 7 yr old machine. UGH But did find a awesome deal on a Samsung with build in sink for getting stains out.. But hate to spend $$$$$. I'm bleeding $$$ these days. :brickwall:

AlreadyGone95
07-31-2015, 03:07 AM
AG95, getting as much information as you can is great idea.

I hope that your cold isn't too bad, VA!

I'm still waiting on the info. (If it's coming by mail, it should be here today or Saturday).

Another thing that I'm concerned about is the factthat I missed the last 3 years of high school. Even though a GED is the equivalent of a high school diploma, I know that I'm at a huge disadvantage compared to others who did things the normal way.
I didn't learn anything when I attended the GED classes. The assessment tests showed that I had the knowledge of a post high school person in all subjects. Honestly, I just set in class reading or doing something on the internet.
I passed the GED test with flying colors on the first try. I know that stuff on the test , at least in math, was not what a 12th grader waa learning. I don't have a clue about any high school math anymore. I never took high school biology or chemistry. I've not learned a foreign language or even attempted to. I don't have a clue as to what books my classmates had to read in English class or what they learned about writing or grammar. I missed high school world history. ( I also missed American History, but that's my specialty, so I'm not worried about it)
What was taught in all those subjects that I don't know or better yet need to know to excel or even just pass in college? Maybe I'm being too hard on myself. For me, college will provide the only way out of a horrible past. There's no other option if I want a chance at life. I want to try; I just don't know if I can handle it.

Brooke
07-31-2015, 09:45 AM
AG, you can do anything you set your mind to doing. It sounds like you have the will and the determination, so just do it. I know sometimes it may be tough, but just hang in there!

I'm sorry you have had a tough time and wish you all the best.

DJ, sorry about your washer. I hate having to buy necessities like washers, tires, etc! I want to buy fun stuff! You know, like Eagles tickets! :lol:

NOLA
07-31-2015, 11:37 AM
VA, sorry to hear about your cold. In some ways, colds are worse in the summer with the heat and humidity adding to the congestion. I hope you get better soon!

DJ, as someone who just completed a 6-months renovation on a historic home, I can sympathize with your troubles. You start what appears to be a small project, and then it snowballs from there. Best of luck in your search for a new washer, too.

AG, gotta agree with Brooke here - you have the capability to succeed in whatever you decide to do! You're one smart young lady! (I'll also refer to your sig line from AG.) If I may suggest, and if you're interested, I'd recommend a prep course, e.g. Kaplan, for the SAT/ACT like you did for your GED. I took one prior to the GRE and was quite satisfied with the results.

AlreadyGone95
08-01-2015, 02:19 AM
I think that my part of my problem is that I lack faith in myself. I underestimate myself and my abilities and lack self confidence. Problem is, I don't know how to change that. I also lack motivation. I get motivated, but then something negative happens, and the motivation just disappears. I'm trying to work on that.

I over-analyze everything,(heck, I've spent 2 hours working on this post) and I'm not a "just do it" person. I've tried to be, and it just doesn't work for me. I need to have a set plan first before I act.

NOLA, I actually chose that line for that reason. I try to remind myself that this is my life and I control it. However, events from my childhood/teen years make me seriously doubt that. I've never felt in control of my life. The reason why is because mom let horrible things happen to me between the ages of12-16. I had no choice but to allow these things to happen because of fear of my mom and her wrath.

I'm not familiar with any of the prep courses, but I'll look into it. The class that I took for the GED was mandatory. Forty hours spent in a classroom "learning".
I bought the recommended study books for both tests last year after I passed. I looked at one of them, and tossed it aside because I didn't believe that I could do it. I reckon that I need to find them.

UndertheWire
08-01-2015, 11:46 AM
AG, my suggestion is that you write to the admissions officer of the college interests you and explain your situation. The college may be able to waive some of the entry requirements in special circumstances. There may also be arrangements for students who need extra support, both financial and otherwise. You lose nothing by asking and you may gain some useful knowledge.

You come across very well when you post here so I'm sue you can write a good letter or email.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2015, 02:16 PM
I can't believe it!!! My 'cold' from earlier in the week got worse and worse, with a bad cough and a lot of asthma. So after the second fever, I went to urgent care a little while ago. Pneumonia! How does this keep happening to me?

L101
08-01-2015, 04:13 PM
VA - that's the worst! Hope you feel better soon. It's not the best feeling to have especially during the summer months with the heat and humidity. Hopefully it won't last as long as the last time you had it.

I know the feeling though, I'm on my third chest infection this year complete with the coughing and wheezing - what was I thinking of, going camping in July in Ireland!!

AlreadyGone95
08-01-2015, 04:44 PM
AG, my suggestion is that you write to the admissions officer of the college interests you and explain your situation. The college may be able to waive some of the entry requirements in special circumstances. There may also be arrangements for students who need extra support, both financial and otherwise. You lose nothing by asking and you may gain some useful knowledge.

You come across very well when you post here so I'm sue you can write a good letter or email.

That's a good idea, thanks! I'm not too familiar with formal letter writing, but I'll look it up to see the best format.

VA, that's beyond horrible! Going from a cold to pneumonia in a few days?! I hope that it's not too bad and that you get better soon!

Brooke
08-01-2015, 05:35 PM
VA, good grief! Take it easy and rest! Prayers for you too!

DivineDon
08-02-2015, 11:33 AM
I can't believe it!!! My 'cold' from earlier in the week got worse and worse, with a bad cough and a lot of asthma. So after the second fever, I went to urgent care a little while ago. Pneumonia! How does this keep happening to me?

OH NO VA!!! Poor you and Lacken, tut, tut, I thought you told me you weren't going to go camping...it's 'summer' in Ireland remember, so pneumonia and chest infections are the Irish equivalent of sunstroke. :) I hope you both get better soon. I'm tearing my hair out as I have more scans and tests to do cos I still don't feel right and I'm still writing this thesis. I swear at this stage I know when my 'subject' went to the toilet! Excuse the crudeness but if I have to rewrite again I'll scream.....:brickwall:

UndertheWire
08-02-2015, 06:30 PM
VA, sorry that it's caught you again. At least it didn't stop you seeing those last few shows. Get well soon.

DJ
08-02-2015, 07:05 PM
VA I hope you are feeling better soon, being sick is horrible.

Still plugging along on the house. Get my new washer this week, pretty excited about that! The weather is super hot again 100 today, so I feel sorry for my son and husband working on the house in the heat. Keeping them hydrated in MT!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-03-2015, 01:35 AM
Thanks, everyone. I guess the steroids are digging in, since it's nearly 1:30 and I'm wide awake. Of course, I did sleep for 11 hours last night.

I remember telling HH either Friday night or Saturday morning that whatever was wrong with me, it's exactly the same thing that was wrong with me back in Feb. 2013. Some of you will remember my trip to Northern VA followed by my drive down to Raleigh for the Eagles concert there. I did go to the doctor that time as well, but I assumed the cough was bronchitis. The doctor wasn't as sure, but I had a fever so the treatment was the same either way. He wanted me to get a chest x-ray, but it would have been the next day, and that would have interfered with my concert plans.

I have got to get out of here (KY) and back to civilization. Preferably back to Northern VA and my previous doctor.

NOLA
08-03-2015, 10:33 AM
VA, sending good vibes and wishes for a speedy recovery!

DJ, congrats on your new washer and continued success with your renovation!

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 05:06 PM
I just received word that a family friend died over the weekend from Lung cancer and a brain tumor. Not even a few minutes later, I got a call from the nursing home saying that my grandmother (mom's mom) had gone into cardiac arrest and went code blue. She's been revived and in the process of going to the ICU. I'm here at the hospital with my mom. I'm waiting on more info. Today has not been a good day.

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 06:47 PM
Well, I'm probably visiting my grandmother for the last time. They've got her maxed out on blood pressure meds just to sustain a reading. There is little hope.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-03-2015, 06:49 PM
Very sorry to hear this, AG95. You're in my thoughts and prayers, as is your Grandma.

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 07:11 PM
Thanks VA. All of her kids except one are all here. We're all pretty much saying our goodbyes. I guess that we'll stay here in the room until she's gone.

L101
08-03-2015, 07:17 PM
Sorry to hear about your Grandma AG95 - keeping your family in my thoughts.

Roey
08-03-2015, 08:17 PM
AG95...I am very sorry to hear about your grandmother and sending prayers your way.

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 09:11 PM
Thanks everyone. I left the hospital to get some supper. Heading back now. My mom is going home, but I'm going to stay with my uncle for support. (he's the one I mention on here alot).

My 1,000 post celebration will have to wait a while.

AlreadyGone95
08-03-2015, 10:42 PM
Well, my grandmother passed away about an hour ago. I'm on the way home. She didn't have any life or burial insurance, so I'm not sure what we're going to do.

WalshFan88
08-03-2015, 11:45 PM
Sorry to hear AG95. Take care.

UndertheWire
08-04-2015, 05:33 AM
AG, I sorry that you are going through this. Take care of yourself.

NOLA
08-04-2015, 08:29 AM
AG, I'm very sorry to hear of the loss of your beloved grandmother. Please take good care of yourself. Chin up.

Houston Baby
08-04-2015, 08:52 AM
AG - I am so sorry to hear of your loss. Our grandmothers are very special people in our lives. I hope you receive some comfort in knowing that you are in our prayers and thoughts. I pray that everything works out ok. Take care.

Brooke
08-04-2015, 10:41 AM
AG, I'm so sorry too. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers. :hug:

AlreadyGone95
08-04-2015, 10:55 AM
Thanks everyone. Positive thoughts/prayers/vibes/anything are welcomed. It's hardest on my aunt and 2 uncles because they were extremely close to her. My mom wasn't as close to her, but it's still affecting her.

I never thought that at my age, I'd be helping to plan a funeral. Then again, I never thought that I'd be the support (or the rock) for someone while they watch their mother die (I was that last night for one of my uncles).

In less than 24 hours, she went from being ok to no longer with us. I'm still in shock at how quick it was. What seemed like an hour yesterday was actually only 20 minutes. Just goes to show ya, I guess.

NightMistBlue
08-04-2015, 11:38 AM
I'm sorry for your loss, Kim. :-(

LuvTim
08-04-2015, 01:00 PM
New here, but always in sympathy with someone who's lost someone close to them. So sorry.

jms18222
08-04-2015, 07:29 PM
Well, my grandmother passed away about an hour ago. I'm on the way home. She didn't have any life or burial insurance, so I'm not sure what we're going to do.

I am so sorry for your loss. Sending hugs. I lost 3 people I loved in the span of 6 months last year. Bad year...

jms18222
08-04-2015, 07:33 PM
Okay please send good thoughts, prayers & karma my way tomorrow.

I have put off the dreaded visit with the cardiologist & am going tomorrow. (I just have to make it through this weekend to see the Dodgers play in Pittsburgh). I put it off long enough to see the Eagles but built in enough time to recover to see Cass County Tour. You know it is time when you can't lift your arms to blow your hair dry without taking a nitro pill.

DJ
08-04-2015, 08:07 PM
Good Luck JMS

Sorry about your Grandmother AlreadyGone, that is extremely hard on everyone.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-04-2015, 08:47 PM
Okay please send good thoughts, prayers & karma my way tomorrow.

I have put off the dreaded visit with the cardiologist & am going tomorrow. (I just have to make it through this weekend to see the Dodgers play in Pittsburgh). I put it off long enough to see the Eagles but built in enough time to recover to see Cass County Tour. You know it is time when you can't lift your arms to blow your hair dry without taking a nitro pill.

Ohhhh, Kershaw and Cole will be worth it, what a matchup! Good luck tomorrow.

My internet is out so I'm going a little crazy!

LuvTim
08-04-2015, 10:04 PM
Sending best wishes, jms.

AlreadyGone95
08-04-2015, 10:54 PM
Sending good thoughts your way, jms!

Thanks again everyone for your thoughts and prayers. It truly means alot. Thanks to the kindness of my uncle's boss, my grandma's burial is paid for. She'll be cremated and buried by her husband, my grandfather. I'm not sure about any memorial service yet. We want one, but the uncle in charge of the affiars is still in shock and not able to make decisions properly yet. My whole family is protestant Christian, so we'll probably get a local pastor to say a few words at the church next to the cemetery.

WalshFan88
08-05-2015, 12:09 AM
JMS - good luck. I had a heart cath a couple years ago when I had chest pains and shortness of breath and mine was perfectly normal. It ended up being my lungs that were the source of the shortness of breath and the chest pain ended up being a peptic ulcer! But my EKG was wonky, so they wanted to make sure it was ok.

The cath process isn't fun but I was given plenty of sedation beforehand. They gave me the normal dose, the cardiologist walked in to start and I was edgy so he told the nurse to give me another dose! :hilarious: Needless to say I'm an anxious, on-edge person and I needed that second dose, which put me to sleep and I woke up as he was finishing up. The worst part IMO is the table before they knock you out. Very uncomfortable. It's like an XRAY table, solid and hard as a rock and completely flat with no pillow other than a very lightly padded headrest.

I'll be having hip replacement on August 25th and I'll be having combination spinal epidural (regional) anesthetic (like they'd do for someone having a c-section) plus sedation like they'd do for a cath or a colonoscopy (both of which I've been through fine). I want to be as knocked out as they will let me from the start and maybe even further as we go! God forbid I hear the saws or drills or even just people talking! They don't want to put you all the way out because they don't want you groggy all day as they want you up and moving the same day if at all possible and they want you to be quick to get moving. Also supposedly spinal works for a bit after the surgery too so it'll cut down on the initial narcotics used.

Houston Baby
08-05-2015, 08:37 AM
I will be keeping you both in my prayers JMS and Austin. And positive thoughts sent. Follow doctor's orders. :grouphug:

Let us know how everything goes tomorrow JMS.

NOLA
08-05-2015, 08:44 AM
Austin and JMS, sending good vibes and wishes to help with the healing process. May you both be well. :)

DivineDon
08-05-2015, 12:36 PM
Best of luck Austin and JMS and AG95 please accept my condolences for your loss.

Brooke
08-05-2015, 02:12 PM
Jms, I think you've waited long enough and best of luck to you! Sending prayers your way!

L101
08-05-2015, 02:25 PM
Austin and LMS, best of luck for the next few weeks !!

WKMB55
08-05-2015, 06:31 PM
Crossing over to the dark side tonight. Some friends just called and asked me to go see Deep Purple and Nazareth at the Ohio State Fair tonight. Although there are not many of the original members from the 60's still performing, it's still a chance to hear the songs and have some fun. And then there's the amazing fair cuisine!!

Houston Baby
08-05-2015, 08:41 PM
Have fun WKMB55! Don't eat too much! I LOVE fair food!

AlreadyGone95
08-06-2015, 04:28 PM
Austin, I that your surgery goes well, and that you're sedated very well!

My grandma will be buried tomorrow, and we'll have a small family memorial Saturday afternoon.

I got the info in from the college in yesterday. I just skimmed over it. The info was only about applying,tuition,costs etc. Apparently, online courses are only half the price of regular tuition. I don't know what all financial aid/grants/scholarships I qualify for, though. I guess that next week, I need to see if I can review the FAFSA form that my GED teacher had me fill out last year. I also need to contact the college.

jms18222
08-07-2015, 07:55 PM
Having the procedure done next Friday. Fingers crossed that I am only in 1 day. Then the Countdown to Don will begin.

jms18222
08-07-2015, 07:59 PM

My grandma will be buried tomorrow, and we'll have a small family memorial Saturday afternoon.

I got the info in from the college in yesterday. I just skimmed over it. The info was only about applying,tuition,costs etc. Apparently, online courses are only half the price of regular tuition. I don't know what all financial aid/grants/scholarships I qualify for, though. I guess that next week, I need to see if I can review the FAFSA form that my GED teacher had me fill out last year. I also need to contact the college.

I am so sorry about your grandmom. I lost my mom last July & still miss her like crazy.

Good luck with your Fafsa. The earlier you get it done the better. Just remember to double & triple check everything, make sure every i is dotted and every t crossed. I still remember having to fax paperwork back & forth for my son when he was in college.

Off to Pittsburgh tomorrow to see the Dodgers/Pirates game. Not looking forward to the long drive but am looking forward to seeing the Clemente statute.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-07-2015, 09:23 PM
I am so sorry about your grandmom. I lost my mom last July & still miss her like crazy.

Good luck with your Fafsa. The earlier you get it done the better. Just remember to double & triple check everything, make sure every i is dotted and every t crossed. I still remember having to fax paperwork back & forth for my son when he was in college.

Off to Pittsburgh tomorrow to see the Dodgers/Pirates game. Not looking forward to the long drive but am looking forward to seeing the Clemente statute.

Shame you aren't there tonight, this is a great game. Would be better if the Bucs were winning, but...

ETA: Did you know a group called O.A.R. will be playing after the game tomorrow?

jms18222
08-07-2015, 09:35 PM
Shame you aren't there tonight, this is a great game. Would be better if the Bucs were winning, but...

I know but I am a Dodger fan. Really want to see Kershaw pitch one of these years. I was a Pirate fan until Clemente died then it was too tough to look at right field and not see him. I migrated to the Dodgers the following year.

Tie game but the Pirates will win because my bullpen haven't found a game they can't lose.

DJ
08-07-2015, 11:47 PM
I know but I am a Dodger fan. Really want to see Kershaw pitch one of these years. I was a Pirate fan until Clemente died then it was too tough to look at right field and not see him. I migrated to the Dodgers the following year.

Tie game but the Pirates will win because my bullpen haven't found a game they can't lose.

Love the Pirates..........

Glennsallnighter
08-08-2015, 03:52 PM

I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma AG. May she RIP. Maybe wait until you have gotten over her passing before you make any decision about college. Also be careful about the online courses. You don't get the full social and interactive experiences that physically going to a college provide, and also (over here anyway) online courses do not attract the same amount of financial aid as they consider your expenses to be less

WKMB55
08-08-2015, 06:33 PM
I went horseback riding yesterday morning with my granddaughter and to see the Cleveland Browns scrimmage last night in the Horseshoe at The Ohio State University. Today I went to the Bridgestone Golf tournament near Akron, Ohio and tonight its Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick at the Ohio State Fair. More fair food....yummy!! Its been a great summer so far for sporting and music events. Nothing compares to the Eagles concert in Dayton, Ohio though👍

LuvTim
08-08-2015, 11:10 PM
I went horseback riding yesterday morning with my granddaughter and to see the Cleveland Browns scrimmage last night in the Horseshoe at The Ohio State University. Today I went to the Bridgestone Golf tournament near Akron, Ohio and tonight its Peter Frampton and Cheap Trick at the Ohio State Fair. More fair food....yummy!! Its been a great summer so far for sporting and music events. Nothing compares to the Eagles concert in Dayton, Ohio though👍

Wow, clearly, you really are having a lot of fun!:thumbsup:

DJ
08-09-2015, 03:39 PM
Still siding my house and rebuilding the deck, what a long process and summer is almost gone. Dreading my son leaving for college again, seems like he just got home.:-(

AlreadyGone95
08-09-2015, 03:49 PM

Thanks jms!

I'm going to be extra careful. One wrong screw up, and I could be in a heap of trouble! I just hope that I remember the log-in info I used. I don't think that I'll have to change much of the information that I filled in, but I'll see.

I hope that I don't have to fax anything. I'd have to go to the city hall and pay them to do it.

AlreadyGone95
08-09-2015, 04:08 PM
I'm sorry to hear about your Grandma AG. May she RIP. Maybe wait until you have gotten over her passing before you make any decision about college. Also be careful about the online courses. You don't get the full social and interactive experiences that physically going to a college provide, and also (over here anyway) online courses do not attract the same amount of financial aid as they consider your expenses to be less

Thanks GA.

I was supposed to be in college by this school year (2015-2016), but, due to laziness and lack of motivation on my part, and lack of support, I'm not. My family friends are giving me a hard time about it. I'm tired of hearing it.

As for online courses, I'm been thinking that it's best for me. I'm not a social person, and I have problems dealing with social interactions. I felt uncomfortable at my grandma's memorial service yesterday, and I was around people I know well! Also, lack of transportation. The college I've been inquiring about is the nearest college and its over 25 miles away!

I don't know about the financial side of online courses. It's something that I have to look into. I'm completely on my own for this, and it's slow going. It'll be at least Tuesday at the earliest before I get in contact with the college.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-09-2015, 11:19 PM

Oh wow, you aren't kidding, JMS! We just scored nine runs in one inning!

MortSahlFan
08-10-2015, 05:43 PM
I moved into this house a little more than a week ago, a place for my stuff - It's hard finding a place to play drums and other instruments! I'm probably going to take a break after a few years of writing/publishing, trying to finish a second album.

jms18222
08-11-2015, 07:36 PM
Oh wow, you aren't kidding, JMS! We just scored nine runs in one inning!

The bullpen stinks. I really don't know what it will take for ownership to finally realize Mattingly needs to go & take his puppet McGwire with him.

Even though they lost I did enjoy the game & stadium. An added bonus was there was an OAR concert after the game. The next day they were appearing at Musikfest which is a 10 day music festival held in Bethlehem PA where Joe Walsh is playing in September. Since I am having surgery this week I won't be able to get down this year.

sad-cafe
08-12-2015, 08:29 PM
I'm sorry I have been gone. My laptop went belly up and when I got a new one I couldn't remember all of my passwords.

What's happening in my life? A LOT of stuff.

My hubby is apparently having a mid-life crisis of sorts so he wants to put our house on the market and move to a high-rise apartment downtown. So in the last month we have viewed over 8 different ones.

Then we had the realtor over and he said we could get a lot more money if we did some minor work in our bathrooms. So we had different contractors over. We chose one and he started on Sunday and kept finding things wrong so we are now 1000 over what he quoted us and was supposed to come today so hubby took the day off and he never showed...I know he is not ditching us because he left a lot of tools.

I am mostly okay with this plan but we can't take our two boxers so my daughters soon to be inlaws are taking them. They leave tomorrow.

I am just frustrated because the timing sucks. Teachers started back to work this week and students start next week.

Why couldn't he do this in June?

Gahh...can I flip out now?

VAisForEagleLovers
08-12-2015, 09:18 PM
I feel your pain, SC, when it comes to contractors! This is why I did most of my renovating myself, or conned my brother or dad or sister into helping. I don't mind paying for work done well, but the constant nickel and diming and raising the price, then not showing up when scheduled is all very typical of even good contractors. Drives me crazy!

WalshFan88
08-13-2015, 01:02 AM
AG95 - Good Luck!

SC - Hang in there.

Brooke
08-13-2015, 09:32 AM
SC, welcome back! Sounds like a very busy time for you, good luck!

Glennsallnighter
08-15-2015, 12:21 PM
I feel for you S-C! I know what those last few weeks are like before schools reopen, and that its nice to be settled by then. And I ALWAYS find that jobs go over budget too! Not easy! Good luck with the move.

sad-cafe
08-15-2015, 06:34 PM
well, the puppies are gone :(

contractor did a little more work on one bathroom. Says he will be back tomorrow.

some things are moving at a snail's pace

thanks for your prayers and thoughts

jms18222
08-17-2015, 08:11 PM
I survived surgery. Needless to say I am told Friday, Saturday & most of Sunday happened. Apparently I watched Bachelor in Paradise over & over...the same episode. Thing is, I have never watched any Bachelor show ever.
Saw the doctor today got an all good check-up, see him in 2 more weeks.

What have is missed Cass County-wise?

LuvTim
08-17-2015, 09:01 PM
I survived surgery. Needless to say I am told Friday, Saturday & most of Sunday happened. Apparently I watched Bachelor in Paradise over & over...the same episode. Thing is, I have never watched any Bachelor show ever.

Too funny about the Bachelor episode! :hilarious: Glad you are feeling better!

AlreadyGone95
08-17-2015, 09:10 PM

Glad that the surgery went well! :)

Brooke
08-18-2015, 09:31 AM
jms, glad you are doing well! Too funny about the tv show! :hilarious:

AlreadyGone95
08-18-2015, 03:30 PM
Well, I had to make a highly unwanted trip my doctor yesterday afternoon. I have a nasty infection that has been making me feel like absolute crap. I received a shot and some antibiotics, but I'm still feeling very weak.

There is some good news. I talked to the college admissions lady today. It looks like in September I'll be filling out an application for Darton State College(I'd be doing it sooner if I had the money for fee for the application). I can do a mixture of online and on campus classes, so I'll probably do that. I'll be setting up a date to the tour the campus around the same time. The Spring term starts in January, so I would have enough time to submit everything that is needed by then(GED, high school transcript,immunization records, take the COMPASS placement test etc), but I don't know if it would be best to start then or wait for the new school year to begin. As far as housing goes, I don't know yet. I'll cross that bridge after I apply.

I'll probably start writing(typing) that letter that UTW suggested soon.

NOLA
08-18-2015, 04:56 PM
JMS, please get well soon!

AG, sorry to hear you're not feeling too good. I wish you well and good luck with the college admissions process!

Glennsallnighter
08-19-2015, 04:34 PM
Glad your college application is going well AG and hope you feel a lot better soon.

jms feel better soon too.

I picked up my 'new' (one year old) car today. I had been debating changing my focus for the last while. It was getting to be 10 years old which means it would have to be tested every year, its insurance would have increased (they are now loading policies here for cars over 10 years) and it was drinking petrol like it was going out of fashion. Petrol costs about $9/gallon here!

Anyway the final straw came a few weeks ago when I hit a bollard in a car park. My Mom said it was like a sign from Heaven that it was time for a change. So I got a far more economical Nissan Micra which only has 4000 km on it - essentially new. Hope it works out better than the old one. It also has some more updated features on it.

LuvTim
08-19-2015, 07:02 PM
GAN,
Congrats on your new wheels! :thumbsup:

Brooke
08-19-2015, 09:16 PM
AG, hope you're feeling better!

Ga, new car, good news!

L101
08-20-2015, 10:45 AM
AG, good luck with the college application.....keep it going and don't give up on it! !

GA, Good luck with the new car...... I love Nissans, I have a Juke myself which I also rammed into a pillar when it was 3 months old!! :)

DivineDon
08-20-2015, 11:38 AM
Best of luck, GA and AG95. I have a little nifty Yaris myself, GA and it's very handy for parking and very economical!

AlreadyGone95
08-20-2015, 12:18 PM
Thanks for the "good lucks" everyone. They add a bit more confidence and motivation. It'll be after Labor Day before I can do anything else. Until then, I plan on resting and getting over this infection. I'm slowly starting to feel better. :)

GA, nice about the new car, but $9 a gallon?! :shock: :jawdrop:. If gas ever goes over $3 again, I won't complain.

DJ
08-21-2015, 10:59 PM
AG Good Luck with the college appl. And I hope you are doing better.
GAN- Nice to get new wheels....

I'm just winding down the summer of house remodeling. My son will be going back to college on Sunday and I'm kinda weepy. I know it's his 3rd year, but i still miss him terribly. He is my home body and my baby..... My daughter is in FL right now on her 3rd vacation this year. She'll be back in college in Sept. she goes in our hometown and lives with us. Last semester and she's done! Yah. She has a steady boyfriend and they are talking living together....Scary stuff. But I'll admit I lived with my husband and we've been married 27 years. :) So life goes on.

Glennsallnighter
08-23-2015, 04:10 AM
Good luck to your kids DJ. I hope their college year goes well for them this year.

Thanks to all for the good wishes on the car. DD, I drove a Yaris for about 8 years before the focus. I loved it but when I had two kids, car seats, a buggy, shopping, etc they all just wouldn't fit. Lacked DON'T put the mockers on me! lol! I hope my encounters with posts and bollards are totally finished!

We start school this Tuesday so I guess I will spend the next day or two getting ready physically (and mentally) for the new school year.

WalshFan88
08-24-2015, 03:09 PM
DJ, AJ, and GA - Best of luck and well wishes.

-----

Some of you might have noticed that I've been away a bit but my surgery is tomorrow and there have been a TON of things to do beforehand. I'm having the left hip done tomorrow, and the right in late October which is 2 months later.

Brooke
08-24-2015, 04:39 PM
Good luck, Austin! Prayers for quick healing!

AlreadyGone95
08-24-2015, 05:50 PM
Good luck Austin! Hope everything goes smoothly!

L101
08-24-2015, 06:30 PM
Good luck tomorrow Austin. You'll be up and about in no time!!

Houston Baby
08-24-2015, 07:41 PM
Best wishes Austin! Prayers and well wishes being sent. I know you will be so glad when this is over. Take care!

DivineDon
08-25-2015, 04:00 AM
Good luck Austin! :thumbsup:

NOLA
08-25-2015, 07:38 AM
Austin, best wishes today and get well soon!

WalshFan88
08-25-2015, 09:15 AM
Thanks everyone!

Just getting up this morning - this nothing to eat or drink after midnight is for the birds. :hilarious: Especially for someone like me who has chronic dry throat.

Getting ready to head over to the hospital soon.

jms18222
08-25-2015, 06:32 PM
Good luck!

AlreadyGone95
09-04-2015, 02:34 PM
Well, I've had to put college on hold until October. My budget is too tight to afford the application fee.

I lost my bank debit card a few weeks ago, and have now got to have it replaced.

Labor Day weekend is a big weekend for my mom's family. We have are annual family reunion starting tomorrow afternoon and Sunday. I usually look forward to it, but this year, I'm not feeling it quite as much. I'll probably be awol almost all day tomorrow and Sunday afternoon. My family chooses a local hunting lodge for the event every year. It's 10 miles from any town and there is no cell phone reception. :weep:. I guess in a way, that's a good thing. It is a beautiful,picturesque location with big pine trees and a small pond. I hope that UGA wins their first football game tomorrow because it usually determines the feel of the reunion (every one is a UGA fan :hilarious:)

WalshFan88
09-05-2015, 09:57 PM
Hey guys, I'm not on the computer a ton yet but I wanted to give updates for everyone who isn't on my Facebook page.

The surgery went well and the surgeon said I definitely needed it, it was worse than the xrays showed.

The recovery has been a mixed bag. I had WAY over the top optimistic expectations for what to expect, so I was a bit down on my luck for a few days. I'm now mobile and doing ok. I've had trouble with draining on the incision but thank goodness no infection yet.

I will be having the second one done in about 8 weeks.

LuvTim
09-05-2015, 10:11 PM
Hey guys, I'm not on the computer a ton yet but I wanted to give updates for everyone who isn't on my Facebook page.

The surgery went well and the surgeon said I definitely needed it, it was worse than the xrays showed.

The recovery has been a mixed bag. I had WAY over the top optimistic expectations for what to expect, so I was a bit down on my luck for a few days. I'm now mobile and doing ok. I've had trouble with draining on the incision but thank goodness no infection yet.

I will be having the second one done in about 8 weeks.

WF88, sending best wishes for your quick healing! :smile:

Glennsallnighter
09-06-2015, 06:35 AM
Glad the recovery is going well for the most part Austin. It IS major surgery so you can't expect miracles too soon but sounds like you are making good progress.

Hope all my American Border friends have a great labour Day weekend. Think of all of us non Americans who are working tomorrow x

Brooke
09-07-2015, 11:52 AM
Austin, hang in there! I'm sure every day it will all get better! Fingers crossed for fast healing!

HAPPY LABOR DAY to all American borderers!
http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/sflag171.gif

I'm doing some fall decorating today! BBQ with some fam yesterday, so a pretty good weekend going!

DivineDon
09-07-2015, 12:18 PM
Best wishes Austin - try to keep your spirits up:thumbsup:

AlreadyGone95
09-09-2015, 12:09 PM
Yesterday, I had a 2 really bad setbacks. I was denied Medicaid , so I have no insurance until October when Medicare takes over. (I'll be 20 and on Medicare. That just doesn't sound right. Reading about nursing home and hospice care, I hope that I don't need that any time soon! Apparently, disbled people will receive it after they've been receiving benefits for 2 years). I hope that I don't get sick until then. Plus, they denied me for August, and I saw the doctor for that infection then. I hope that I don't get a bill for that! :worried:

Then, I had an expected bill come in the mail. It'll make my finances be stretched to the max. I've had to completely rearrange my budget because of the Medicare, and it's tight for the rest of this year. Another thing is that the bill technically isn't mine. It's my mom's. I'm not responsible for it, but according to my mom, since I live here, I partially am. That led to an unpleasant evening last night.

I don't like having this stuff constantly on my mind. I've reached the point in life where I ask, "why the heck did I want grow up so fast?".

The only good news is that I've started receiving some birthday money, which will probably not be spent on pleasure this year.

I guess that I'll just have to hope for the best. (And expect the worst)

jms18222
09-10-2015, 02:19 PM
I am so sorry to hear about your run of bad luck. Sending hugs & good thoughts through this message. Everything will be okay in the end.

I can make you laugh; I broke my ass. I am being serious!!! Tuesday night when I was just getting out of the pool a few leaves blew in. A smart person would have just went back in the pool to take them out. Miss Mensa here instead tried to scoop them out with a skimmer. The pool ladder I was standing on pulled away from the wall & I landed on top of the steel ledge of the pool. I have a broken tailbone. 2 days later I am still hobbling around.

Today is the 1st NFL game and I still don't have my line-up set.

AlreadyGone95
09-10-2015, 04:39 PM
Thanks for the prayers/thoughts. You're right. You did make me laugh. Sorry about your mishap. :(

I'm trying to come up with a plan. I'll need to wait a few days before deciding what to do.

As for the NFL, I'll miss the first game. PBS is airing the 25th anniversary of Ken Burns' Civil War documentary. I'm watching it every night this week with my uncle.

Glennsallnighter
09-11-2015, 04:57 PM
Sorry things are tough for you at the moment AG. What is the difference between medicare and Medicaid? Surely if you are registered as disabled you are entitled to free or subsidised medicines and Doctor visits?

JMS, hope you are feeling better soon. That break does NOT really sound funny.

AlreadyGone95
09-11-2015, 05:42 PM
Sorry things are tough for you at the moment AG. What is the difference between medicare and Medicaid? Surely if you are registered as disabled you are entitled to free or subsidised medicines and Doctor visits?

Well,both are our government run healthcare programs. Medicaid is is for low income families and children. (Most kids are on it until age 19). It pays for almost everything (no co pays) and is free or very cheap ($15 a month). I've been on it since I was 12.

Medicare is usually for people over 65. It's most retired/elderly people's insurance. There's different parts. Part A is free and covers hospital/hospice care. That's why I made the joke about not needing most of what Part A covers for a long time (I honestly didn't know that disabled people get it. I thought that it was only for older people). Part B covers doctors/preventive care. It'll cost me over $100 a month( 1/8 of my check) and it only covers covers 80% of the costs. Part D is the prescription drug plan. It costs extra. I've opted out of it for now because I rarely need prescription drugs unless I'm sick. I'm lucky in that my condition doesn't require any expensive medicine, just regular pain medicine a few times a week usually. (Muscle soreness, cramps, joint pain etc). There's help for low income medicare recipients so that they can afford their medicines. I'll apply for it next week. I now understand why so many older people have to choose between food, medicine or bills.

jms18222
09-12-2015, 03:04 PM

It's funny because I can laugh about it now. I am fortunate that I didn't hit my head instead. I broke my tailbone slipping on ice a few winters ago.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2015, 03:44 PM
Well,both are our government run healthcare programs. Medicaid is is for low income families and children. (Most kids are on it until age 19). It pays for almost everything (no co pays) and is free or very cheap ($15 a month). I've been on it since I was 12.

Medicare is usually for people over 65. It's most retired/elderly people's insurance. There's different parts. Part A is free and covers hospital/hospice care. That's why I made the joke about not needing most of what Part A covers for a long time (I honestly didn't know that disabled people get it. I thought that it was only for older people). Part B covers doctors/preventive care. It'll cost me over $100 a month( 1/8 of my check) and it only covers covers 80% of the costs. Part D is the prescription drug plan. It costs extra. I've opted out of it for now because I rarely need prescription drugs unless I'm sick. I'm lucky in that my condition doesn't require any expensive medicine, just regular pain medicine a few times a week usually. (Muscle soreness, cramps, joint pain etc). There's help for low income medicare recipients so that they can afford their medicines. I'll apply for it next week. I now understand why so many older people have to choose between food, medicine or bills.

Sounds complicated. We have a medical card for families with low incomes . Other than that you pay about $50 for a doctors consultation and about $100 to visit A&E (ER). But if you have been to a doctor already and they refer you tp A&E you don't have to pay. If you have a medical card everything is free. I think if you don't and you spend over $125 per month on prescription meds the balance is free but Desperada can verify that! Elderly (over 70) people regardless of income have free medical care (whether they have insurance or not)and meds. It makes a big difference to my parents who would have big bills otherwise.

WalshFan88
09-12-2015, 11:49 PM
Best wishes AG and thoughts and prayers coming your way.

JMS - heal up soon!

----

Finally good news to report, I'm getting around pretty good now and am down to only one pain pill a day. My incision trouble stopped, I'm able to do almost anything I would have normally other than bend over or sit with my knees higher than my hips. Otherwise, I'm doing much better and am feeling very optimistic for the next one as I'll know EXACTLY what to expect and how to handle it physically, mentally, and emotionally.

DivineDon
09-13-2015, 08:58 AM
That's the spirit, Austin :thumbsup:

NOLA
09-13-2015, 09:42 AM
AG, you're in my thoughts as you navigate your way through the red tape of government subsidized healthcare. What a PITA!

JMS and Austin, sending healing vibes your way. Best wishes for speedy recoveries!

AlreadyGone95
09-13-2015, 12:30 PM
It is indeed very complicated GA. I was completely blindsided by this. Your system seems to be easier to follow. The good news is that I have a somewhat of a plan formed to make through the next few months.

Thanks Austin. Glad that you're healing better now. :)

Thanks to you too NOLA. Forgive my ignorance, but what's a PITA?

--------------------

My uncle has brought up the subject of me moving in with him again last night . I tried that earlier this year, back in February, and after 4 days, I came back home. I just didn't feel right there. That's weird given the amount of time I'm over there already. He really wants me back over there. Mainly because he's lonely since he's no longer tak8ng care of his parents and is alone at the house, but also because he thinks that it'll help me get my life on track. I honestly don't know at the moment.

L101
09-13-2015, 02:59 PM
Austin - that's great that you're feeling so good already. Keep up the positive attitude !! :thumbsup:

JMS - hope the break heals soon. Hopefully you don't have to wear a 'butt cast'!!

AG - I know you'll make the right decision. Just think about what you'd like to do.

jms18222
09-13-2015, 03:26 PM
Pita=pain in the arse

Thankfully there isn't a butt cast, just ice & tylenol. Tushie is feeling better today. The 1st Sunday of football makes everything OK.

AG I have really good health insurance but it is driving me crazy. My cardiologist put me on a medication which he isn't sure he will keep me on. Right now he upped the dosage. My health insurance did not want to have it filled through my pharmacy but instead wants me to go through mail order. That will be fine if I stay on this medication but if I don't I will have a 90 day supply of medication & can't use, return or give to anyone else. Will they then cover the replacement medication.

I feel for you & hope you can get it straightened out soon.

AlreadyGone95
09-14-2015, 12:09 PM
Yup, the government red tape crap is definitely a pita, then! :hilarious:

Jms, glad that your rear end is doing better! I hope that your medicine and insurance gets straighten out. My grandparents have some of the best insurance and even it is a pita at times!

sad-cafe
09-20-2015, 10:38 PM
http://images.listingstoleads.com/property/2/1/1/7/0/8/3/spw/55de00d5c701f_1440612565.jpg

sold our home (technically hasn't sold yet...contract is signed...pending inspection)

It was listed for 7 days Wow our heads are spinning

We are moving to :

http://eatonplace.net/images/cropped/eaton023.jpg

we are the second from top red brick 413 it is 1300 sq feet corner apartment. Really cool.

I didn't really want to move but I love this apartment and it feels God is working in this. Things are going smoothly and it just feels right.

could use prayers that the final details go smoothly.

NOLA
09-21-2015, 08:10 AM
Sad-cafe, congrats on the quick sale of your former home and love the architectural style of the new apartment building! I hope your move goes smoothly. :)

Brooke
09-21-2015, 03:35 PM
s-c, that's quite a change for you going from a single family home to a multi family building! Good luck with everything!

LuvTim
09-21-2015, 04:16 PM
s-c, hope you enjoy the more urban lifestyle that living at the Eaton will provide! :smile:

AlreadyGone95
09-21-2015, 08:21 PM
SC, good luck with the move and the sale of the house :).

I'm still trying to understand the Medicare thing. As I said a few weeks ago, a certain amount of money will be taken out of my check to pay for the premium. Well, last Friday, I received a notice from my local DFACS office(dept. of family and children services). It stated that the department of community health will pay for the premium, Medicare deductibles, and co-insurance. Deductibles being what I would pay after Medicare pays its part. Co-insurance is extra insurance alongside Medicare. It'll pay for things that Medicare doesn't like vision and dental. (I definitely need vision coverage).

Ok, so I'm being told one thing by the federal government(social security) and something totally different by my local health department. :crazy: :confused: :headscratch:. I'm hoping that I'll know for sure what will happen by the first of October. It's hard to plan ahead when you don't know for sure what will happen.

Today has been a bit arkward. I woke up at a little after 10 am, and I didn't have any cell phone service! Neither did my mom. First thought "did I pay the bill?" Yes I did. Well, I've known the service(Verizon) to drop early in the morning (like 2 am), but not during the day. Our cell phones are the only forms of communication we have, so we were in trouble if something happened. (No landline, and our internet service is Verizon as well). All afternoon passed, and still no service. My mom suggested that we go down to other nearby tower (about 6 miles southwest of us), and see what happened. I got a very weak signal, not even enough to send a text. I normally have the best signal available with that tower. Ok, let's go to the other tower several miles farther south. I had 2 bars and internet service (3g and 4g).
The tower is near the home/workplace of a family friend so we stopped by to chat. He told us that our tower had gone down this morning and had affected all nearby Verizon towers. Everybody within about a 25 mile radius of my small town was affected. (Verizon is the only cell phone provider around here). I didn't get service back until 6:30 pm.
You don't know what you've got until it's gone. I don't know what caused the outtage. It wasn't weather related.

Glennsallnighter
09-22-2015, 07:13 AM
That sounds very strange AG! Surely too they would give you a reminder about the bill if it hadnt been paid rather than just summarily cut you off? I hope the medicare thing works out for you.

And S-C congratulations on your new home. I hope you will be very happy there.

Brooke
09-22-2015, 10:24 AM
AG, good luck wading through the Medicare stuff! I hope it all gets explained better for you. My mom is on it and I know it's all a hassle! Strange about the cell phone service. The only cell service that works around me is US Cellular.

I've been kind of on vacation for the last week and a half! Hubby is gone to northern Michigan bear hunting with a friend. No cooking for me! He will be back later this week. Kinda quiet around my house unless the grandson comes over! :lol:

AlreadyGone95
09-22-2015, 12:35 PM
GA, yes, they would've. They give you almost a month after the due date to pay the bill. That was just the first thought I had. Like I said, everyone around here was affected. It was even affecting other cell phone carriers! I don't know what happened. I just hope that it doesn't happen again! 8 hours without being to make a call or even send a text was scary! :fear:

As for the Medicare, I'm just playing it by ear. I'll know for sure when the check arrives next month!

There's a huge possibility Georgia department of transportation(GDOT) closing down a local bridge on a state highway for a year to repair it. It's one of the major routes in and out of the city of Albany(the big city for southwest Georgia). For most people, it's a not a big deal, but for the residents of my county and some of my family members, it is. To get to Albany, my uncle(the one I mention alot), will be looking at an extra 20 miles round trip ( and that's just to get food, gas, household items etc). It would probably shut down a very popular local seafood restaurant. It would make emergency crews go miles out of the way. Not to mention the farmers who would have to detour as well.

The bridge could use some maintenance, but surely it wouldn't take a year! Being such a rural area, our bridges and roads get overlooked so much, and when they do get looked at, GDOT decides to do it slowly and mess up the daily lives of the people around here.

Enjoy the rest of your staycation Brooke! In a few weeks, my county will be full of deer hunters because there's a local wildlife/game preserve only about a mile outside of my small town.

WalshFan88
09-22-2015, 11:03 PM
AG and SC - Good luck! :)

DJ
09-23-2015, 07:02 PM
AG : That the other agency is going to pick up the 20% Medicare doesn't sounds a bit strange. All my experience with Medicare is that unless you have a secondary paid out of pocket insurance, you are to pay the 20%, I'd double check with a superior in that agency and get that in writing. My parents are on medicare and they have to have the secondary to pay all medical costs. Here's one for ya. I am on disability. I received medicare info. in the mail that says I can pay for medicare, which I don't need to, because I have ins. through my working spouse, but I automatically have part A which is hospitalization and I cannot in any way shape or form decline that. Medicare told me that is an entitlement and I cannot refuse it. To me it's a waste of tax $ because I also have very good hospitalization through my private insurance. There should be some way to decline that if a person doesn't need it. Save the tax $ for people that do need it. Sorry to say it's a broken system in many ways. But I am so thankful for the disability, without that I'd be poverty level. Good Luck.

My life is settling down after remodeling our deck and residing the back of the house. The deck is done, Yah and the siding is just about there. My hubby and son worked so hard on this through the hot summer. Our temps now are perfect. Wake up to about 45 degrees and mid day it's mid 70's. Perfect. Could use a bit more moisture though. It seems that the seasons are a bit ahead of themselves this year. All in all it's a beautiful Rocky Mountain day.
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

AlreadyGone95
09-24-2015, 02:27 PM
AG : That the other agency is going to pick up the 20% Medicare doesn't sounds a bit strange. All my experience with Medicare is that unless you have a secondary paid out of pocket insurance, you are to pay the 20%, I'd double check with a superior in that agency and get that in writing. My parents are on medicare and they have to have the secondary to pay all medical costs. Here's one for ya. I am on disability. I received medicare info. in the mail that says I can pay for medicare, which I don't need to, because I have ins. through my working spouse, but I automatically have part A which is hospitalization and I cannot in any way shape or form decline that. Medicare told me that is an entitlement and I cannot refuse it. To me it's a waste of tax $ because I also have very good hospitalization through my private insurance. There should be some way to decline that if a person doesn't need it. Save the tax $ for people that do need it. Sorry to say it's a broken system in many ways. But I am so thankful for the disability, without that I'd be poverty level. Good Luck.

My life is settling down after remodeling our deck and residing the back of the house. The deck is done, Yah and the siding is just about there. My hubby and son worked so hard on this through the hot summer. Our temps now are perfect. Wake up to about 45 degrees and mid day it's mid 70's. Perfect. Could use a bit more moisture though. It seems that the seasons are a bit ahead of themselves this year. All in all it's a beautiful Rocky Mountain day.
:heart: :heart: :heart: :heart: :heart:

That's what I figured, but I'd feel more comfortable if the letter for it had come from a federal place instead of a local place. I plan to go by the local DFACS office tomorrow to get a better explanation.

I agree that it's a broken system. I honestly doubt that I'll ever use Part A myself(in 20 years, I've been to the ER only 5 times that I can remember, wheras I go to the doctor about that many times a year). Plus, what do I need with nursing home coverage or hospice care? Even with my disability(mild form of Cerebral Palsy), I should live as long as the average person. Medicare needs to be more individualistic because each person on it has different needs or doesn't need it at all.

And, I'm jealous of that weather!

DJ
10-01-2015, 03:30 PM
AG, guess what I got in the mail today. A Medicare card for Part A(hospital) and also an offer to sign up and pay for Part B (Dr.'s ,etc.). I have wonderful ins. through my husbands Federal employer, thank goodness, and so I called Medicare. I said I surely do not need Part B, I have private ins and I'm income restricted as it is. Ok just sign and return the card. But...I cannot opt out of Part A at all. She said it is an Entitlement. I said well if you want my opinion going into a hospital is a lot more expensive than going to a Dr. It is just crazy. However, I did find out the Part A hospital is secondary to my private insurance. Thank goodness. I don't feel like sharing a room with anyone if I don't have to. LOL. In all seriousness it's a bad system. I too am disabled, but with good Dr. care should also live a active long life. Blessings to you.

Well my remodel is almost finished. The deck is done and so enjoyable. The weather was beautiful up until today, a bit cooler 65. Yesterday 78 and sunny blue skies. Autumn leaves are turning and it couldn't be more beautiful. :smile:

AlreadyGone95
10-01-2015, 08:05 PM
DJ, I got something similar in the mail a few days ago, "Medicare and you 2016". It's the 150 page book about what all Medicare covers and the different options. I read about half of the parts that apply to me, and I wound up getting a migraine headache trying to comprehend exactly what's covered. :brickwall:. Let's just say that I hope that I don't have to go to the doctor or ER. 90% of what's covered is completely useless to me. I need vision(I'm nearly blind without glasses) and dental coverage more than I need cancer screenings, diabetes tests, or cardiovascular disease screenings.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life. I need to get out of my mom's house because our problems and arguments are starting to take a physical toll as well as a mental toll(it's been doing that for years.) Lately, I've had no desire to want to do anything. No energy, no want to live life or to plan for a better life/future. I've been sick with an almost constant migraine headache for over a week.
The problems with moving on are numerous. My disability is the main one. (Some minor physical things I can't do or I need help with). The other main problem is that I'm afraid of change. I'm so afraid that I'm willing to put myself through heck rather than try to move forward. It's an irrational fear that I've always had and could never overcome. I can't seem to break out of my shell, and since I've had limited social interactions over the past 4 and a half years(since I dropped out of high school), my shell has gotten even bigger. If I dread going to town to do normal things, how can go to college or hold down a job?
My uncle has tried to help me, but apart from listening, he can't do much. I need to resolve these issues before doing anything, but I don't know how. Therapy and the like is the obvious solution, but ny mom scoffs at the idea of stuff like that. How do you try to change things for the better when the person you're dependent on think it's a joke and is the cause of some of your problems? How do you move on when you have no plan or options? How do you overcome childhood trauma and mental pain/abuse (that you've had to hide to mentally survive) to become a successful adult? How do you overcome this stuff in a rural area with little/no help?

Gah- I like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown from the stress, anxiety, and anguish. :brickwall:. I feel like I'm bring to hard on myself, but I feel alot of pressure to do great things because of my intellectual abilities. My family has always had high expectations for me, despite the lack of supporting me, and I feel like a failure for not living up to their expectations. Had everything gone right and I hadn't screwed up, I probably would've already been doing college ckasses in high school. I can't seem to get over my past to have a decent present and a better future.

About the only positive thing is that I've had a few more attempts at driving (rural country roads). I'm still far away from getting my license, though.

Sorry for the bit of a rant, but I currently feel like I'm going to go nuts or just collapse from the weight of it all.

DJ
10-02-2015, 06:47 PM
DJ, I got something similar in the mail a few days ago, "Medicare and you 2016". It's the 150 page book about what all Medicare covers and the different options. I read about half of the parts that apply to me, and I wound up getting a migraine headache trying to comprehend exactly what's covered. :brickwall:. Let's just say that I hope that I don't have to go to the doctor or ER. 90% of what's covered is completely useless to me. I need vision(I'm nearly blind without glasses) and dental coverage more than I need cancer screenings, diabetes tests, or cardiovascular disease screenings.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with my life. I need to get out of my mom's house because our problems and arguments are starting to take a physical toll as well as a mental toll(it's been doing that for years.) Lately, I've had no desire to want to do anything. No energy, no want to live life or to plan for a better life/future. I've been sick with an almost constant migraine headache for over a week.
The problems with moving on are numerous. My disability is the main one. (Some minor physical things I can't do or I need help with). The other main problem is that I'm afraid of change. I'm so afraid that I'm willing to put myself through heck rather than try to move forward. It's an irrational fear that I've always had and could never overcome. I can't seem to break out of my shell, and since I've had limited social interactions over the past 4 and a half years(since I dropped out of high school), my shell has gotten even bigger. If I dread going to town to do normal things, how can go to college or hold down a job?
My uncle has tried to help me, but apart from listening, he can't do much. I need to resolve these issues before doing anything, but I don't know how. Therapy and the like is the obvious solution, but ny mom scoffs at the idea of stuff like that. How do you try to change things for the better when the person you're dependent on think it's a joke and is the cause of some of your problems? How do you move on when you have no plan or options? How do you overcome childhood trauma and mental pain/abuse (that you've had to hide to mentally survive) to become a successful adult? How do you overcome this stuff in a rural area with little/no help?

Gah- I like I'm going to have a nervous breakdown from the stress, anxiety, and anguish. :brickwall:. I feel like I'm bring to hard on myself, but I feel alot of pressure to do great things because of my intellectual abilities. My family has always had high expectations for me, despite the lack of supporting me, and I feel like a failure for not living up to their expectations. Had everything gone right and I hadn't screwed up, I probably would've already been doing college ckasses in high school. I can't seem to get over my past to have a decent present and a better future.

About the only positive thing is that I've had a few more attempts at driving (rural country roads). I'm still far away from getting my license, though.

Sorry for the bit of a rant, but I currently feel like I'm going to go nuts or just collapse from the weight of it all.

Hey I understand. Stress and Anxiety does play a lot into any disability you may have. I get stressed from having 2 kids in college one who still lives at home full time at 23, and the fact my Mom passed last year. It is very stressful. All I can say is try and move forward. We have lots of arguments in my home, I try and separate from them because they can tear you up. Surely there must be someone who can help you find a place with rent assistance. We have them here. Last word Take Care Of You. Because I was always taking care of everyone else and it was ruining my health even more. So I quit my job, applied and received disability and now my life is settling down to where I can handle emotional upset better. Chin up Move Forward My Friend.;-)

AlreadyGone95
10-04-2015, 11:52 PM
Unfortunately, very little help exists around here. My town has only about 600 people, and to do anything, you have to go 25 miles minimum. No help exists in my town or county for pratically anything. We have a small doctor's office and a small health department/dfacs office. That's all that there is. The health department only covers stuff like WIC, flu shots, and vaccinations. There is no low invome housing or anything similar. (My dad owned the property that we live on). The help that does exist elsewhere around southwest Georgia doesn't cover my area. I've checked before. I'm pretty much stuck.

My uncle has invited me to try and move back in with him. (I tried it once. ) He lives by himself since his parents died. There's past problems with him (I don't want to say what they are a public forum, but let's just say that they're are part of why I'm in the situation I'm in now). Despite the close bond we have, I didn't feel right there with him when I first tried living with him. I don't think I will now. Plus, he has no internet service and there's no cell phone reception either. That might be a pathetic reason, but if I do want to go to college, I'll need internet service. (There's no library around). Plus, I'm a 20 year old! I crave the internet! :hilarious:

I just don't know. I need a clear path/plan. I want to do it, but I just don't know how. I'm beyond petrified of failure. Plus, like I said, real life support is nearly nonexistent. My mom doesn't care and doesn't want to help. (she's said that so many times)She just wants me out! I've been in this situation for a year now, and nothing has changed

I wish that I could take a break, and clear my head for a while. My health has definitely suffered over the past few years for various reasons. I know that I've got some undiagnosed problems that should be treated, but every time I try to do that, I get the run around. (They couldn't find the problem and won't do anything else to help me).

I'm actually on the verge of being sick right now, probably another round of bronchitis. (Sore throat, headache, chest congestion, achy feeling, coughing). I stocked up on OTC medicine, so hopefully, this time won't be as bad as last time. ( it took 2 months to get over it).

I've tried to get along with my mom. I tried so hard when I was a kid to please her and to be a good kid, but it never worked. I had adhd and by the time I entered middle school, I had depression alongside it. (Death of my dad, troubles with my mom, trouble adjusting to middle school etc). My mom couldn't understand it. She never got understood mental health. She just thought that I was seeking attention, and pratically belittled me over it. That's when the problems got worse. My mom isn't the motherly type at all, and she pretty much abandoned me in every way to spend time "living her life" when I was 13/14/15. I can never forgive her for that. I'm pretty sure that my mom fits the description of a narcissistic mother/person.(she has problems as well) She's "my way or the highway" on everything, even petty little things. How do you deal with someone who wants you to pay attention to them, do things for them, respect them etc, but won't do the same back? Like I said, she's never been there for me. She'd mock or belittle me if I tried to explain my feelings to her. Several times, she's told me to "just go kill yourself". (Um, nice thing to tell your hurting teen who actually had thought about doing that). I had to be her "verbal punching bag"(as I call it). Basically when she was angry or fustrated, I took the verbal lashing of it because I "live here and have to deal with it". :depressed:

In short, I'm deathly afraid of my mother. Sometimes, she ok and other times, she's not. I never know what to expect. I live here because I don't know of any other option.(I've looked online many times) I've tried speaking to her as an adult, but that just leads to pissing her off and another argument. What do you do? Get the hell out is the obvious answer, I know, but where do I go?

Every time, I do try to move foward, something knocks me backwards.

Keeping my chin up is had to do when I'm haunted by the memories of my past.

I wish that there was a shelter or something that existed here. I probably would've already gone to it.

(This turned out to be way longer than I had intended it to be)

Brooke
10-05-2015, 10:08 AM
AG, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I honestly think you need to get out of this environment immediately. If you can't live with your uncle, go to a town where surely there is a shelter. Talk to a counselor at the college. Maybe they would have a suggestion. No other family or friends that can help you? Surely there is someone. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

AlreadyGone95
10-05-2015, 06:26 PM
AG, I'm so sorry to hear about your troubles. I honestly think you need to get out of this environment immediately. If you can't live with your uncle, go to a town where surely there is a shelter. Talk to a counselor at the college. Maybe they would have a suggestion. No other family or friends that can help you? Surely there is someone. My thoughts and prayers are with you.

As long as nothing comes up, I should be applying for college next month, and then maybe I could get some help. I've been wanting to do that the opposite way, help then college, because I don't know if I handle the strain of the college at the moment, but that looks to be impossible. If I apply and get accepted (which should be no problem academically), I can see what kind of help they offer. Medicare does cover mental health (diagnosis and some forms of treatment, like therapy), so I do have that.

Getting to a shelter would be the problem, since I have no car or driver's license, and taxis/public transportation doesn't exist here. I only know of 1 in Albany, and it's usually pretty full. That's the only one I know of within a 70 mile radius of where I live. There's places that help kids with problems, but not adults.

As for family, I don't really have any that are close. My grandparents are tapped out $ wise and don't have room for me to live. My brother is estranged from the family and he's in Texas (he refuses to even speak to my mom after the things he suffered and endured). I'm not close to anyone else in the family. Either they don't care much or live too far away. Most don't like my mom, so I suffer because of it. I have godparents (whom I love dearly), but they stay too busy and have too much company for me to live with them. I don't have any friends. I was a loner growing up, and I never made many friends. Since I've pretty much put myself in a shell, I don't have any anymore.

ETA: I do have some good news. I was approved for a Medicare drug plan for those with limited income(extra help is what it's calked). Basically, I won't have to pay more than $4 for prescription drugs. That's a good thing for sure!

Brooke
10-13-2015, 10:03 AM
I am looking forward to a few days of vacation beginning this evening. One of our nieces is getting married in Asheville, NC this Saturday and we are taking a few extra days to enjoy the Smokey and Blue Ridge mountains along the way! Happy dancing here!

derekafly
10-13-2015, 11:58 AM
Rest assured AlreadyGone95, it'l all fall into place in time.

For family you have us and our Eagles! :)

Everyone runs into problems. The happy ones are those who pay more attention to the good moments in life. I used to feel sad and lonely for as long as I could remember. My insurance approved home care last year, and I now have a C-care nurse (C-care is a home health care service here in Toronto (http://www.c-care.ca/services/home-care-services)) for 3 hours every day to help me with the meds and exercise(I am an amputee). She is very young- not more than 25. I'm old enough to have a daughter older than her. She comes in everyday, jokes around, feeds me, gives me the meds, helps me with physio, brags a lot about what goes on at home, and leaves at around 4. She is the light of my life.

Find a good friend who you can talk and share to, and all these sorrows will go away. I promise.

LuvTim
10-13-2015, 06:23 PM
I am looking forward to a few days of vacation beginning this evening. One of our nieces is getting married in Asheville, NC this Saturday and we are taking a few extra days to enjoy the Smokey and Blue Ridge mountains along the way! Happy dancing here!

Brooke, have a great time! You're definitely going to a beautiful area. :smile:

NOLA
10-13-2015, 08:34 PM
ITA, LT! The Blue Ridge Parkway is breathtaking this time of year, scenery shining with the beautiful colors of Autumn. Enjoy, Brooke, and be safe with all the traffic. :)

Brooke
10-20-2015, 01:10 PM
ITA, LT! The Blue Ridge Parkway is breathtaking this time of year, scenery shining with the beautiful colors of Autumn. Enjoy, Brooke, and be safe with all the traffic. :)

Thank you and yes, it was absolutely beautiful! Semi trucks and all! I really could not believe all the semis on the highways. Constant the whole trip! If anyone needs a job, learn to be a semi driver! They are undoubtedly in demand!

We had a great time and trip. My husband was telling everyone that the five mountains we missed on Thursday, we managed to find on Friday! lol We also actually found one of the entrances to the Appalachian Trail and walked a few hundred feet on it! Went throught the Biltmore Mansion too! Magnificient!

The wedding was also beautiful! Beautiful bride, gorgeous groom, wonderful evening at the Grand Bohemian Resort! Perfect day too, although a little cool for an outdoor wedding!

I will post a few pics when I get time to get them all checked out!

NOLA
10-20-2015, 06:41 PM
Glad you enjoyed your trip, Brooke, and that you're back home safe! ITA about the traffic through the Blue Ridge Mountains this time of year.

Congrats, as well, to your niece and her hubby! May they live a long and happy life together. :)

LuvTim
10-20-2015, 09:21 PM
Brooke, so glad you had a good time! Will enjoy seeing your photos once you get ready to post them! :smile:

WalshFan88
10-21-2015, 10:30 PM
Wow, I've missed so much on this thread. All I can say is good wishes and prayers to those who need it, congrats to anyone who's had something good happen, and take care everyone.

I've been posting less and less lately as I've been really busy. I've also tried to cut back on internet in general as I've kind of lost interest outside of YouTube, social media, and such.

My latest "problem" was last week ending up in the hospital for tests in extreme pain and couldn't keep food/water down. They did a full day of tests and the next morning I had emergency gallbladder surgery. Some people have gallstones, or "biliary colic" (pain after eating a greasy meal), or just a bad gallbladder with a chronic problem and get it electively removed. Mine was more acute in that it was infected and inflamed (cholecystitis). It had basically went to crap with no good explanation. No gallstones were found in it. It basically just "died".

So needless to say Friday morning I had surgery to remove it. The surgeon said when he got in there it was a mess. They did several tests the day before, all of which should have showed the problem but only one did even as bad as it was and thank goodness it did.

I'm feeling much better. In fact I'm still on schedule for my 2nd and final hip replacement next Thursday. I get my stomach staples out Monday and a quick visit to my grandma's and then back in the hospital I go LOL.

In my life you have to laugh at my luck and experiences. Sometimes loudly. It's the only way to stay sane and not get sad about things or mad about the fact it is what it is. I've learned in my 27 years it's best to let the chips fall where they may and make the best of it. I try not to complain but it is an outlet for frustration. But I can't let myself get too down and out or it's a vicious cycle.

This was the first unplanned emergency surgery I've ever had. I had no time to emotionally prepare so I was more unhinged than usual. I've had a dozen or so, but all were planned in advance, some elective some not. I've never seen an anesthesiologist rush so fast to put me to sleep. He was introducing himself as he was putting me out. They needed to do it quick, but also the surgeon had a full caseload and literally had to squeeze me in between his planned surgeries for the morning. I feel bad for the people that were delayed as I myself hate waiting.

LuvTim
10-21-2015, 10:45 PM
Whoah, WF88! Man,oh man. That's a heck of a Friday you had there. But it seems that if anyone can handle a crisis situation, it's you. I like that you've kept your sense of humor about it all. Best of luck to you going forward as you face your next challenge. Stay strong.:samurai:

Brooke
10-22-2015, 09:50 AM
Austin, my goodness! Hang in there, but it seems you do that very well with all your troubles! Prayers for you for a speedy recovery and for the next procedure!

DJ
10-22-2015, 02:15 PM
Wow, I've missed so much on this thread. All I can say is good wishes and prayers to those who need it, congrats to anyone who's had something good happen, and take care everyone.

I've been posting less and less lately as I've been really busy. I've also tried to cut back on internet in general as I've kind of lost interest outside of YouTube, social media, and such.

My latest "problem" was last week ending up in the hospital for tests in extreme pain and couldn't keep food/water down. They did a full day of tests and the next morning I had emergency gallbladder surgery. Some people have gallstones, or "biliary colic" (pain after eating a greasy meal), or just a bad gallbladder with a chronic problem and get it electively removed. Mine was more acute in that it was infected and inflamed (cholecystitis). It had basically went to crap with no good explanation. No gallstones were found in it. It basically just "died".

So needless to say Friday morning I had surgery to remove it. The surgeon said when he got in there it was a mess. They did several tests the day before, all of which should have showed the problem but only one did even as bad as it was and thank goodness it did.

I'm feeling much better. In fact I'm still on schedule for my 2nd and final hip replacement next Thursday. I get my stomach staples out Monday and a quick visit to my grandma's and then back in the hospital I go LOL.

In my life you have to laugh at my luck and experiences. Sometimes loudly. It's the only way to stay sane and not get sad about things or mad about the fact it is what it is. I've learned in my 27 years it's best to let the chips fall where they may and make the best of it. I try not to complain but it is an outlet for frustration. But I can't let myself get too down and out or it's a vicious cycle.

This was the first unplanned emergency surgery I've ever had. I had no time to emotionally prepare so I was more unhinged than usual. I've had a dozen or so, but all were planned in advance, some elective some not. I've never seen an anesthesiologist rush so fast to put me to sleep. He was introducing himself as he was putting me out. They needed to do it quick, but also the surgeon had a full caseload and literally had to squeeze me in between his planned surgeries for the morning. I feel bad for the people that were delayed as I myself hate waiting.

Oh Gosh Austin, I hope you are feeling better. I had the exact same thing several years ago. I was so sick and they couldn't figure out why. A radio graph xray with nuclear dye showed that my gallbladder too had died, or was totally encapsulated with whatever. I recovered fairly quickly. So I hope you do too.

My life is pretty slow right now. We did so much house construction our backyard grass, most of it anyway, it mud! So I have a daily chore of cleaning my dogs feet, etc about 25 times a day. Not fum, and they hate it. My pointer/pitbull Hates water so bad, LOL. The autumn leaves are falling and that's a mess. We have A huge maple tree that just started to loose it's leaves and the aspens are getting pretty bare. It is absolutely beautiful though when you look at the mountains. We have spruce, pine and larch trees. The Larch trees actually turn yellow and loose needles, so the mountainside is gorgeous. I'd post a pic. but my computer is acting up. Anyway life is good in the Rockies.

NOLA
10-22-2015, 07:40 PM
Sending good vibes and wishes for a speedy recovery! I hope that your next procedure will be your last for a very long time. Get well soon, Austen! :smile:

DJ, your area sounds so picturesque this time of year. It's really flat here on the coast, and we don't get a lot of the changing leaves. :(

AlreadyGone95
10-23-2015, 11:58 AM
Yikes Austin. Hope everything goes well next Thursday! (Which is my mom's birthday lol).

I had a "sobering" experience yesterday (I guess that's the best way to put it).

As ya'll know, I have a physical disability. Well, it's cerebral palsy. For more information, Here's the Wikipedia link for my specific type of CP (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spastic_hemiplegia). It affects my left side. I'm one of the lucky ones who can walk without assistance(cane, walker etc) and doesn't have any learning disabilities or seizures.

However, due to the rigid state of my muscles, they draw up and tighten, which can be very painful. Sometimes this is due to lack of movement; sometimes, it's not. Well, the muscles around my ankle have been doing this for about 2 weeks. It makes walking normal very painful and difficult. (I end up "toe walking") After about a week, I told my mom, and she began exercising it. I have no movement in my foot, ankle or toes, and the feeling in the foot is not as great as a normal foot is. By exercising it, she's making the ankle and foot rotate, making the muscles stretch and loosen up. We've done this 3 times now.
Yesterday afternoon, while she was doing this, I asked her to explain to me again what happened during my birth that caused the CP. Basically, I was a very complicated pregnancy and birth. My mom had several health problems during pregnancy. I wasn't due until October 6th. On September 14th, my mom went for a routine check up. The doctor found some more problems, and he told my mom that if he didn't go ahead and induce the labor, I'd probably would've been stillborn. So, a few hours later, my mom was in labor with me.

The doctors had a tough time delivering me, so they had to use forceps to pull me out. The forceps caused some pressure on my head and brain. According to my mom, the pressure caused a blood clot to burst in my brain. (From other family members I've heard it was a blood vessel, not clot, so I'm not sure). Well, it took my family almost 6 months to notice that anything was wrong. When I started crawling, I scooted and didn't crawl.

Well, the "sobering" part was after my mom had finished exercising my ankle. I thought, well what if was a blood clot? What if it hadn't burst and no one knew about it? I could've very easily died from that. Honestly, an unknown blood clot on a newborn's brain? That's a very scary thought, at least to me.
I never have complained much about my disability, but obviously, it hinders me in some ways. Yesterday,though, I realized that in way, this might have been the "best/good" outcome possible. Those thoughts made me realize that I should be more grateful that I'm not worse off than I am.

If the muscle problems with my ankle don't subside over the next few weeks, I'll probably go to my doctor, and see about some physical therapy. (I had about 9 of that in my childhood to help me be as independent and live as normal of a life as I do)

bluefeather
10-24-2015, 08:28 AM
Austin, I hope you're getting better, you're a real trooper to put up with all of your health problems and still not loose your sense of humor!:applause::hug:

All the best to you too AG, I really admire the maturity of your thinking and your positive attitude:rockon:

I myself am in a sad place right now because I've lost a great person I didn't know as well as I would have wanted in a horrible way. On top of it the timing is very bad because I'm already quite tressed out about my studies and some of my relationships.:weep:

LuvTim
10-24-2015, 03:28 PM
I myself am in a sad place right now because I've lost a great person I didn't know as well as I would have wanted in a horrible way. On top of it the timing is very bad because I'm already quite tressed out about my studies and some of my relationships.:weep:[/QUOTE]

So sorry, bf. :-( Sending hugs to console you.

NOLA
10-25-2015, 02:36 AM
Sending my best to AG and BF! There will be brighter days ahead. Chin up. :smile:

AlreadyGone95
10-26-2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks for the positive comments BF and NOLA. Sending positive thoughts your way, BF.

My ankle has gotten worse. Earlier today, I was walking in a store. I turned around to say something to mom, and my ankle almost gave out on me. I nearly screamed bloody murder. I'm still able to walk on it (not broken or anything), but it's very painful and swollen, particularly on top of my foot. I've got ice on it as a type this. Tomorrow, I'll soak it in epsom salt and wrap it in an ACE bandage. I'm hoping that I can avoid a doctor'svisit.

EasilyTaken
10-26-2015, 01:36 AM
So sorry that you're hurt. Hope you're better really soon.

Propping it up helps sometimes, if you haven't tried that already.

Brooke
10-26-2015, 10:22 AM
Hoping for better days ahead for everyone hurting here.

AlreadyGone95
10-26-2015, 02:15 PM
So sorry that you're hurt. Hope you're better really soon.

Propping it up helps sometimes, if you haven't tried that already.

Thanks. I'm doing the RICE method. (Rest, Ice, compression, and elevation). I'm soaking the foot now. Hopefully, it will help.

LuvTim
10-26-2015, 02:21 PM
Sounds like you're doing all you can do. I hope it feels better quickly, AG.

AlreadyGone95
10-26-2015, 03:13 PM
Sounds like you're doing all you can do. I hope it feels better quickly, AG.

Thanks LT. My mom has wrapped it. We'll keep an eye on the swelling, and go from there.

Glennsallnighter
10-26-2015, 05:54 PM
Hope your ankle is better soon AG. Its mid term here but no holidays planned this time. My parents have a few appointments that I will attend with them, and my son has an interview for his secondary school next year on Wednesday. I'm quite tired anyway so a bit of R&R suits. I would also like to get some work done on some of my holiday pics from earlier in the year and if I get the chance I will do my Eagles calendars for next year.