PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 13

sodascouts
07-19-2014, 02:40 AM
Ouch! Best of luck with those hips!

bluefeather
07-19-2014, 12:04 PM
Ouch indeed, good look with whatever needs to be done, Austin I hope your pain eases soon

Molly
07-19-2014, 12:50 PM
Molly, congratulations to you on your son's wedding! I'd love to see what Audra looks like (since I look like her haha) :)

Here's a pix of the happy family. TH, I think it's your smile that made me think of Audra. Owen inherited her beautiful smile which I love!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Tomxmascard2013_zpsfda91d18.jpg

tjh532
07-20-2014, 01:46 AM
What a beautiful family!

sodascouts
07-20-2014, 02:38 AM
They're absolutely adorable, all three of them!

bluefeather
07-20-2014, 02:22 PM
very pretty picture for sure:)

Ive always been a dreamer
07-20-2014, 07:14 PM
Molly - That is a wonderful picture of Tom, Audra, and Owen - what a beautiful family and congratulations to them. I wish them much happiness in their life journey. And I can only imagine how proud you and Ditka must be.

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 12:19 AM
I won't be around beginning Saturday. Hubby and I are headed to South Dakota to see the Badlands, Mt. Rushmore, and the Black Hills for our 40th anniversary! I'm still not quite believing that we are going as he is just not a traveler, but....we are leaving early Saturday and probably won't be back till Thursday or Friday. I'm getting very excited!

wow Brooke! that sounds lovely!!! the Badlands are on our bucket list.
I think you're Already Gone, but hope you have a wonderful time! Did you fly or drive?
Also, congratulations on your 40th Anniversary! that's amazing :heart:

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 12:23 AM
Here's a pix of the happy family. TH, I think it's your smile that made me think of Audra. Owen inherited her beautiful smile which I love!

http://i4.photobucket.com/albums/y137/mollycinder/Tomxmascard2013_zpsfda91d18.jpg

aw I think I can see the similar smiles! :) thank you

what a beautiful family!!!

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 12:27 AM
T&H and Molly - Congrats!

DJ - So sorry to hear about your mother.

Brooke - Have fun!

--------

Sitting here in Nashville...home on Sunday. Mini vacation for the NAMM trade show and catching up with old friends. Nothing healthwise other than to see an orthopedic surgeon in early August for my hips. I had my hips pinned in '07 and they are really bothering me. He told me back then I'd have to have early hip replacement but I bet he wasn't thinking this early. I'm ready, if that's what he thinks is best. Obviously something less drastic would be nice. I know it's invasive but it's not like I need my original hips - I'm not an athlete. :hilarious: On the contrary, the way they are now is extremely immobilizing. He's gotta do something as Ibuprofen doesn't cut the mustard anymore. Tomorrow at the convention center shall be interesting, lol. I've been taking 4 Advil anytime I'm walking more than a block away.

Thanks Austin!!

Sorry to hear about your hip troubles. Do try Aleve...it helped bring down the inflammation in my back. sometimes just one didn't help though, and I needed to take two. also maybe try putting ice? not sure if that would help in your situation.
hope you get what you need done to make your life a painless one as soon as possible!

Witchy Woman
07-21-2014, 01:05 PM
Enjoying my vacation. Saw the always awesome and hilarious Jim Jefferies on Saturday, and looking forward to James Taylor tomorrow. I start a new position at work next week, so I need to recharge and enjoy myself. The holidays will be here before we know it !!

sad-cafe
07-21-2014, 03:25 PM
hey ya'all

There is only 2 weeks left of summer :(

I have missed you all. Will be on more now!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 06:47 PM
hey ya'all

There is only 2 weeks left of summer :(

I have missed you all. Will be on more now!

I hope everyone has a wonderful week.

2 weeks?? how do you figure?

Summer doesn't end officially until September 23 this year.

Though I always felt like summer ended at the end of August, or when I went back to school when I was in school.

Why is your summer ending in 2 weeks?

sad-cafe
07-21-2014, 08:46 PM
2 weeks?? how do you figure?

Summer doesn't end officially until September 23 this year.

Though I always felt like summer ended at the end of August, or when I went back to school when I was in school.

Why is your summer ending in 2 weeks?

Teachers go back Aug 5th :(

Thirsty&Hot
07-21-2014, 10:09 PM
Teachers go back Aug 5th :(

ohh really? I had no idea it started extra early for teachers :( I guess it makes sense..having to start getting prepared.

aw, well what are you going to do with your two weeks of freedom?

zeldabjr
07-22-2014, 01:55 AM
oh wow..so much has gone on here since I last checked in...
SC...sorry you only have two weeks left of your summer vacation

DJ...so sorry to hear about your Mom...I understand how hard it is...My Mom died 21 years ago today and I still miss her...you are in my thoughts and prayers...

Molly...Congratulations on your son's wedding...what a beautiful family they are...

T&H...Congratulations to you and Bobby...what exciting news...looks like you had a fabulous trip!

Va...praying that you find a new job...worthy of you!

Glennsallnighter
07-22-2014, 07:24 PM
We go back 25th August. Same day as the kids. But as far as I'm concerned my summer lingers until the middle of September when I will see the guys in NYC

Thirsty&Hot
07-22-2014, 08:15 PM
oh DJ...I missed that post :( I just went back and looked. my condolences :hug:

sad-cafe
07-24-2014, 01:58 AM
ohh really? I had no idea it started extra early for teachers :( I guess it makes sense..having to start getting prepared.

aw, well what are you going to do with your two weeks of freedom?

I've been cleaning my house top to bottom. All I have left is clean out the fridge and the stove and sweep and mop. Of course the things I did first are starting to need it again.

Next week the Jeep goes in for a check up. Oil change and fix a valve stem on a tire but it will be there for a while because the gas gauge is messed up. It will say 1/4 take and you will run out of gas :(

Friday I go to the doctor because I have I guess tennis elbow that is making my pinky and ring finger numb. Might be back related as well :( Next Friday I have Chemo to be ready for School to start.

Inbetween all that I hope to get some sun/pool time in.

zeldabjr
07-24-2014, 02:09 AM
I've been cleaning my house top to bottom. All I have left is clean out the fridge and the stove and sweep and mop. Of course the things I did first are starting to need it again.

Next week the Jeep goes in for a check up. Oil change and fix a valve stem on a tire but it will be there for a while because the gas gauge is messed up. It will say 1/4 take and you will run out of gas :(

Friday I go to the doctor because I have I guess tennis elbow that is making my pinky and ring finger numb. Might be back related as well :( Next Friday I have Chemo to be ready for School to start.

SC...you need to put the sun/pool time at the top of the list ....not the bottom!!

Houston Baby
07-24-2014, 10:14 AM
SC...you need to put the sun/pool time at the top of the list ....not the bottom!!

I agree with Z! You need to take care of yourself SC! Get your me time in before school starts.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2014, 06:49 PM
Yes, SC, at least put some play in and around the work and not last!

Right now, I'm scheduled to fly to DC on Monday to give a demo and presentation to one of our US Senators. It's supposed to be someone from my company, someone from the government/policy, and someone from the government/IT. However, the policy people are all traveling elsewhere at the moment, and the IT people refuse to go. The Director even called the IT people and said he wanted them to go to feel some of the congressional heat that he feels and they still said 'no'. So, the Director has asked for the trip to be postponed, since contractors aren't supposed to do such things on their own. Not sure how successful he'll be and I surely have no wish to go feel congressional wrath come down on my head because I'm the only target available. I'm praying this gets postponed!

sodascouts
07-24-2014, 10:04 PM
Oh my gosh! How can they just REFUSE to go?! Let's hope you get some backup!

Still, even if you have to go it alone, I'm sure you can handle it. It's actually really cool, to be a position to brief a Congressperson!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-24-2014, 10:12 PM
Not only did they refuse, but said that feeling congressional heat wasn't their job! It's not mine, either, when the issues are out of my control completely. However, since I'm a contractor, it's always my job to take the heat from whatever source feels like turning it on.

Thirsty&Hot
07-24-2014, 10:35 PM

your sun/pool/me time DEFINITELY needs to be top priority. though I know how hard it can be to do that. I, myself, have a hard time relaxing til everything else is done!

did you say Chemo? I'm so very sorry to hear that :( not sure if you've mentioned this before....I don't follow this board so often.

no matter what, DO make that ME time. xo

tjh532
07-24-2014, 10:38 PM
SC - get your rest and store up some energy for school! Enjoy the sun while you can, the cleaning will always be there :) We go back the 18th and the kids start the 25th. The summer has just flown by this year. Hope you are feeling ok.

VA - I say go to DC and give someone a little hot seat of your own! So sick of all those politicians who don't get anything done (unless it entails giving themselves a raise) Not a lot of fun for you when you have to take a beating for someone else :( Hopefully you find a job where that isn't a regular occurrence!

sodascouts
07-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Yes, please take care of yourself, SC!

WalshFan88
07-25-2014, 01:42 AM
VA - Best of luck with the trip. Hope it all works out.

SC - Take care.

Glennsallnighter
07-25-2014, 06:09 AM
Hope everything works out ok for you VA!

SC, take care of yourself and relax before you have to start working again.

bluefeather
07-25-2014, 12:39 PM
SC-take care and enjoy as much as you can, all the best:hug:

VA-you tell them if you can and good luck

I'm visiting relatives in Sweden and having fun although it's so dang hot! The town I'm in called Örebro is picturesque and a nice place. Yesterday I was forced to check out the local hospital because the night before yesterday I stumbled to the stairs on my way to toilet and fell half the way down. So now I have a fractured bone in my right foot and I walk with crutches. I'm still enjoying my visit though.:)

Houston Baby
07-25-2014, 12:53 PM
Ouch BF! Hope it is not too bad and you can still enjoy your visit! Try and rest it as much as you can in the nice cool indoors.

bluefeather
07-25-2014, 12:59 PM
thanks HB I'll take it easy:)

thelastresort
07-25-2014, 03:03 PM
Just booked a four night break in the (Scottish) Highlands (for myself only, people just gt in the way :razz:), looking forward to a drastic change of scenery and some proper alone time (literally, you can be the only person for dozens of miles up there!). Should be good :D

SC - Hope you're OK, just take it easy
BF - enjoy the rest of your trip. Always wanted to go to Sweden...

Houston Baby
07-25-2014, 03:06 PM
That sounds really nice TLR. Enjoy yourself!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-25-2014, 06:02 PM
BF, major ouch! I hope the rest of the trip goes without incident!

Thirsty&Hot
07-25-2014, 08:41 PM
Not only did they refuse, but said that feeling congressional heat wasn't their job! It's not mine, either, when the issues are out of my control completely. However, since I'm a contractor, it's always my job to take the heat from whatever source feels like turning it on.

well if it's not Glenn turning the heat on..then it's no fun!

Thirsty&Hot
07-25-2014, 08:43 PM
BF - ouch!! glad you're in good spirits about it though and can still enjoy your trip!

TLR - Scotland is beautiful. I was there the entire summer before I started college, when I was 18.

bluefeather
07-26-2014, 08:09 AM
TLR-I'd love to go to Scotland!:jealous: and you'r right about other people just getting in the way of your enjoyment

my visit has gone on nicely and I'm leaving for Stockholm soon to get on a ship to home

thelastresort
07-26-2014, 04:35 PM
Thanks guys. It not so much people get in the way, it's just it gives me freedom to do whatever I want. I'm not a people person at the best of times anyway!

Anyway, in other news, I was down in London today (about 200 miles from home) and I just so happened to get into the same Tube carriage as someone from another (non-Eagles) forum I'm on. He'd only met me very briefly once in the past (a long time ago!) but knew it was me not because he was sure of how I looked, but because I had an Eagles shirt on :lol:

WalshFan88
07-26-2014, 06:33 PM
TLR - enjoy! :)

BF- Ouch!!

Glennsallnighter
07-27-2014, 07:31 AM
Thanks guys. It not so much people get in the way, it's just it gives me freedom to do whatever I want. I'm not a people person at the best of times anyway!

Anyway, in other news, I was down in London today (about 200 miles from home) and I just so happened to get into the same Tube carriage as someone from another (non-Eagles) forum I'm on. He'd only met me very briefly once in the past (a long time ago!) but knew it was me not because he was sure of how I looked, but because I had an Eagles shirt on :lol:

That's always good TLR!

bluefeather
07-27-2014, 01:50 PM
what a nice surprise TLR:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-27-2014, 10:10 PM
TLR, have fun in Scotland!! Sounds like a great time. One of these days I'll get there myself.

I'm all packed up and ready to get on the road early tomorrow morning, heading to DC. We've been told through official channels that the Senator won't be at the demo, just a few of her aides, but we've also heard through non-official channels that she's planning a surprise appearance. The good news is that there are government people going now. One from IT and one from Policy, as well as a Lt. Colonel military guy. So, if she does show up, she won't be insulted by having only contractors there.

Brooke
07-28-2014, 04:28 PM
WF, hope your hips are feeling better!

s-c, enjoy your last days of freedom!

bf, hope your getting along on your foot!

tlr, enjoy your trip!

I'm baaaaaack from mine and had a wonderful time! We drove over 2300 miles round trip! We made it to Mitchell, SD the first day and toured the Corn Palace there before heading on to the Badlands! Wow, what a desolate area, but also beautiful. And hot, but definitely worth the trip! It was 95 that day!

We drove all the way across SD to Rapid City later that day and spent the night there. The next day we took a bus tour of Mt. Rushmore (awesome), Iron Mountain Road (scenic tunnels and bridges through the Black Hills), Custer State Park (saw some buffalo!), Needles Highway (strange rocky drive), and the Crazy Horse monument (work in progress). All of it was just beautiful!

Then instead of driving home the way we came we went south through Wyoming and in to Colorado. We went through Estes Park and in to the Rocky Mountain National Park. Talk about mountains! What gorgeous scenery! We drove across the Great Divide, so now I can say I've been there! Several elk crossed the road in front of us and went on up the mountain. We ate lunch at the Cafe in the Clouds, some 13,000 feet up!

All in all, I loved every minute! For me, the most awe inspiring was the Crazy Horse memorial. I can't even imagine anyone taking on such a daunting task! They have worked on it for over 60 years and just have the face done! And so dangerous! Boggles the mind!

I will post a few pics in the Every Picture thread later!

bluefeather
07-28-2014, 05:06 PM
WOW Brooke your trip sound amazing

Glennsallnighter
07-28-2014, 07:50 PM
Welcome back Brooke. Glad you had such a wonderful holiday. It sounds awesome. I'm really looking forward it seeing some of your pics!

thelastresort
07-28-2014, 08:10 PM
Welcome back Brooke. I'm rather :jealous: since I'm absolutely desperate to one day visit the Rockies / Great Plains (I find them fascinating for some odd reason) but glad to hear you had a good time. Can't wait to see any photos you upload!

WalshFan88
07-28-2014, 10:00 PM
Welcome back, Brooke. Glad you had a good time.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-28-2014, 10:05 PM
Brooke, wow! I LOVE Estes Park.I spent a lot of time there in 1989 and would love to go back. Rocky Mountain National Park is where my mothernearly had a heart attack! The sign said watch for falling rocks. There was a huge boulder tumbling down the mountain onto the road right in front of us. Added way more excitement than was necessary! she said you always see the signs, but you never actually see a falling rock. Wrong!

In DC. Guy I am traveling with has never been here before. So we spent all afternoon and evening walking around the Mall. came back to Old Town Alexandria and walked forever down King Street to find a restaurant. My feet are absolutely killing me!

http://instagram.com/p/rAk6VUSCyV/

Thirsty&Hot
07-28-2014, 11:04 PM
welcome back Brooke! your trip sounds amazing! would love to see pics.
That's A LOT of driving!

I've been to Colorado before..Estes Park is beautiful. Were you affected by the altitude at all? I felt pretty woozy from time to time..especially at the top of Pike's Peak ...Bobby actually got altitude sickness for a few days which was no fun. At the time, he thought it was food poisoning.

We loved it there..if it weren't for all the snow they get, we would consider moving there.

I'll have to look up that Crazy Horse monument..sounds intense!

Brooke
07-29-2014, 01:14 PM
VA, I didn't see any falling rocks, thankfully! I saw some of your pics on fb and looks like fun! I toured DC as a teenager back in the 70's and would love to go back someday. Another trip on the bucket list!

T&H, yikes, but no, the altitude didn't seem to affect us any. We did walk up a couple trails that were pretty steep, but we took it slow.

It was a lot of driving, which was the part hubby didn't like! It will probably be a couple years before we tackle another road trip like that! :lol:

Another place we visited was the Ft. Hays Dances With Wolves movie set. It was cool to be in the building where Kevin Chostner had actually stood and gotten his military 'orders' in the film.

sodascouts
07-29-2014, 02:29 PM
Glad you're back, Brooke! It sounds like a lot of fun!

Brooke
07-29-2014, 03:33 PM

Molly, what a beautiful family! Thanks for sharing!

VAisForEagleLovers
07-30-2014, 09:05 PM
Did the briefing today. Senator not there. As contractors we weren't supposed to say much if anything. Ha! Did 90% of it. Went very well! Their words were "fantastic briefing". Feel much better now.

Brooke
07-31-2014, 09:16 AM
Good for you, VA! :yay:

We are flooded with tomatoes now! Hubby and I canned 20 quarts of juice last night! Yummy for chili season!

bluefeather
07-31-2014, 01:58 PM
great news VA!:thumbsup:

DJ
07-31-2014, 05:49 PM
Good for you, VA! :yay:

We are flooded with tomatoes now! Hubby and I canned 20 quarts of juice last night! Yummy for chili season!

Hey Brooke, maybe you could send some tomatoes Randy's way, he'd appreciate it! HaHa..
Also goes good with a cold glass of beer! :partytime:

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2014, 07:52 PM
I'm back home! So glad to be back among my own things, and especially my computer. I'm such a geek, I know, but I missed it!

Tomorrow, it's back to the office, and I need to call Geico and try to explain how I broke yet another windshield. Got hit with road debris AGAIN on the same stretch of highway and after sitting all week at the airport, one of the 'dings' traveled and so now it's a big crack. Third windshield in less than a year.

Prettymaid
07-31-2014, 08:09 PM
I'm back home! So glad to be back among my own things, and especially my computer. I'm such a geek, I know, but I missed it!

Tomorrow, it's back to the office, and I need to call Geico and try to explain how I broke yet another windshield. Got hit with road debris AGAIN on the same stretch of highway and after sitting all week at the airport, one of the 'dings' traveled and so now it's a big crack. Third windshield in less than a year.

And I thought we had bad luck with windshields! ;)

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2014, 08:11 PM
Third one in less than a year...

WalshFan88
07-31-2014, 08:59 PM
Glad you made it back VA.

I hear you on being without a computer. For me a smartphone and a tablet just don't cut it for me. I'm a typer because I'm on so many forums now and I like a fixed keyboard as when I type something, it's usually quite long and drawn out. :hilarious: I've tried a stylus and changing orientation of the device and it still doesn't cut it. And for me using a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad is awkward. I might as well be on a laptop. LOL! I've been typing on laptops in particular for years and years so that's just what I'm familiar with. I'm not much for desktop computers anymore. I don't like being tied to a desk every time I want to go online.

VAisForEagleLovers
07-31-2014, 09:18 PM
I took my phone and two tablets and my govt laptop. The laptop is extremely heavy, but the odd thing is that it's set up to tap the fingerpad to select and it's very sensitive. In fact, the entire front five inches of the laptop triggers a mouse click if you touch it, and the option to change how it works is missing from the Control Panel. So, I couldn't use it at all. I'm happy to be back to my own computer...

WalshFan88
08-01-2014, 01:15 AM
Hmm! That's interesting. I hate the tap function on trackpads. On a Windows laptop I always disable it.

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2014, 02:47 AM
I agree with you Austin about the desktops, they just don't cut it with the way we live now! However I must say I love my iPad. I've had it for over 3 years now and I think it's one of the best things I ever bought. It's great to be able to bring it away without taking up any room or contributing to the weight of my luggage too.

I've been away for much of the week. I took my parents down country for a few days to a hotel break, mainly to give my mother a break. Dad's Alzheimer's seems to be progressing a little more and he has lost all reality with the 'here and now'. So he has very little idea where he is/ was, why he was away, when he'd be home etc. He has also lost a lot of his ability to understand appropriate behaviour in certain situations. It's not that he does anything bad but like he would not understand that you can't just stop on a motorway for fresh air (if you come off the motorway he is dizzy due to the 'bumps' on the road!) and that you can't get up off your seat in a restaurant and start chatting to the other patrons. 'Normal' reactions have gone out the window! But also he seems totally dependant on my mother who is 80. If she is not in his line of sight he gets upset, agitated, wants to call her, keeps asking where she is and generally stops her from having any independence at all. This makes it very difficult for us to sit with him while she attends to her own things, much as we try to explain what the situation is. It's really like he has reverted to being a small child whose world revolves around himself and his needs which need to be fulfilled immediately. And the father that I grew up with was not like that at all, so I know it's just this illness is making him like this. We try to give my mother breaks, but she gets more worried about how he is coping when she is away from him. I have been suggesting over the last few days that they get some extra help in the house or at least initiate the process but she is very reluctant about the idea of 'a stranger in my home'. Both my parents have aged 10 years in I'd say the last 3 or 4 years and I'm now worrying about the long term implications of this.

Sorry to drag on so much!

Prettymaid
08-01-2014, 07:27 AM
Glad you made it back VA.

I hear you on being without a computer. For me a smartphone and a tablet just don't cut it for me. I'm a typer because I'm on so many forums now and I like a fixed keyboard as when I type something, it's usually quite long and drawn out. :hilarious: I've tried a stylus and changing orientation of the device and it still doesn't cut it. And for me using a bluetooth keyboard with an iPad is awkward. I might as well be on a laptop. LOL! I've been typing on laptops in particular for years and years so that's just what I'm familiar with. I'm not much for desktop computers anymore. I don't like being tied to a desk every time I want to go online.

Austin, have you ever tried the speech function on your device's keyboard? I'm using it right now and as awkward as it is at first it does work nicely!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-01-2014, 07:35 AM
I don't have an actual mouse, so I use the trackpad all the time on laptops!

GA, I'm so sorry to hear about your parents. It's a worry I have as well, as my parents get older.

Prettymaid
08-01-2014, 08:07 AM
GA, so sorry to hear about the downward spiral you are seeing in your parents, especially your dad. VA is right; many of us on this board are at the point where we are worrying about our parents. So just know that you have our support here and you can "drag on" as much as you want!

Brooke
08-01-2014, 11:03 AM
Ga, yes, feel free to vent all you like. I'm sorry to hear your Dad is getting worse and for your Mom having to deal with it. I'm watching my own mother get more forgetful, it seems, every day. The dr. says she has the early symptoms of dementia. It's very frustrating when she says she will do something and then forgets.

Today is my aunt's (mom's sister) 90th birthday. She is far better physically and mentally than my mom who is 8 years younger. A very spunky lady, ready to do most anything!

bluefeather
08-01-2014, 12:21 PM
Ga- sad and complicated situation I'm sorry you have to deal with it

Glennsallnighter
08-01-2014, 02:52 PM
Ga, yes, feel free to vent all you like. I'm sorry to hear your Dad is getting worse and for your Mom having to deal with it. I'm watching my own mother get more forgetful, it seems, every day. The dr. says she has the early symptoms of dementia. It's very frustrating when she says she will do something and then forgets.

Today is my aunt's (mom's sister) 90th birthday. She is far better physically and mentally than my mom who is 8 years younger. A very spunky lady, ready to do most anything!

Awww Happy Birthday to her. 90 is such a great age to reach. I've been in touch with my late godfathers daughters (he would also have been 90 this year on Christmas Day). Their mum (my aunt) is also poorly, but physically - she has had 3 falls since Easter one into a fireplace where her hair was burned, another a few nights ago. She'll be 90 just after Christmas but unlike Dad is completely compos mentis. She refuses to have any help or move into sheltered accomodation. So they are also doing what they can to support her.

I suppose as a few of us have mentioned at our ages, while it's great for those of us who do to still have our parents still living their health and abilities are becoming issues that we need to sort out for them to have the best quality of life possible.

SallyGee
08-01-2014, 09:08 PM
So sorry to hear about your dad GA. It must be difficult for all of you. I'm sure that you are a great comfort to your mother. I will keep you all in my prayers.

tjh532
08-02-2014, 05:08 PM
Sorry to hear what you are going through GA, that must be hard watching both of your parents go through that. Stay strong, they will need you. And you can vent all you want here :)
My dad lives on a ranch in the middle of nowhere in Montana (there isn't even cell phone reception where he's at) I worry constantly that he will fall and get hurt or worse, and there isn't anyone around to know. He goes to town once a week to see my sister and visit my uncle who is in an assisted living facility. I suspect it won't be long before I can talk him into coming to live with me. He is almost 80, and still gets around great, but I still worry. We don;t realize all that our parents had to do to help take care of our grandparents until it's out turn to be the caregivers.

WalshFan88
08-02-2014, 05:51 PM
Austin, have you ever tried the speech function on your device's keyboard? I'm using it right now and as awkward as it is at first it does work nicely!

No but I need to start. I didn't know that it worked as good as it does! I always figured it'd make more mistakes than me typing. :hilarious:

WalshFan88
08-02-2014, 05:52 PM
GA - I'm sorry to hear that. My great-grandpa had Alzheimers and seeing him go through that was very rough. Hang in there.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-02-2014, 09:23 PM
No but I need to start. I didn't know that it worked as good as it does! I always figured it'd make more mistakes than me typing. :hilarious:

Sometimes it does. I was using voice because with the sun I couldn't see my screen, and was trying to tell a coworker another was on vacation. It came out 'on the kitchen'. She's not an IT person, and so really thought I was using a cool IT term for doing something...uh, no!!

WalshFan88
08-02-2014, 10:47 PM
Sometimes it does. I was using voice because with the sun I couldn't see my screen, and was trying to tell a coworker another was on vacation. It came out 'on the kitchen'. She's not an IT person, and so really thought I was using a cool IT term for doing something...uh, no!!

Hahaha...

Anytime I need a laugh or three I go to the Damn You Autocorrect site. I don't even care if they are real or not, they are way too funny. :hilarious: That said, I'd be mortified if I had sent them!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-03-2014, 09:58 AM
GA, so sorry to hear about the downward spiral you are seeing in your parents, especially your dad. VA is right; many of us on this board are at the point where we are worrying about our parents. So just know that you have our support here and you can "drag on" as much as you want!
yes I agree
I am so sorry to read of the issues with your parents.
we are truly the sandwhich generation.

Glennsallnighter
08-03-2014, 06:41 PM
Thanks to everyone for their support. I was talking to my mother and later my brother about some interventions and support. My mother is reluctant to accept any help at all saying things like 'Dad mightn't like it' or 'Oh i'm not sure about that' but we hope to persuade her to at least introduce him to the idea of a support group run as a cafe, and possibly a weekly session in a day centre. This could eventually give her even a few hours in the week to herself. And it could prove very useful later on if he worsens, at least he will have some experience of care. My brother has a few political contacts who may be able to get him a place (thats how its done over here!lol) I think mechanisms need to be put in place now before my father deteriorates further.

bluefeather
08-04-2014, 03:35 PM
I'm very thankful my parents aren't that old yet but I'm worried because of my grandpa. He's in and out of hospital all the time getting bouts of pneumonia and getting better again. He also has Alzheimer's and is very reckless because of that and his medication. Getting along with him is tough for the nurses and my grandma. I think about him and wonder when he is going to die because it's clear it's not going to be very long.

Fortunately I can say something a bit more positive about myself: got rid of the crutches!:yay: Walking is still quite painful but it's slowly getting better.:D

VAisForEagleLovers
08-04-2014, 06:51 PM
My day started by texting my friend and boss that I would be late getting to the customer office because I had to meet an employee at the company office and collect their laptop and office key. The reply? She would forward my text to someone else because her mother died unexpectedly over the weekend. She had bronchitis and just came from the doctor's, laid down for a nap and never woke up. My boss was en route home after two weeks in Europe on business. She's understandably upset and as she said, a walking zombie. A group of us will make the trip to Lexington tomorrow evening for the visitation.

Then there was the employee who was to have their last day today. Never arrived. When questioned about the company laptop the response was that it had been stolen. Uh-huh. This person doesn't have a personal laptop, only a MacBook, and I know they wanted a PC-based laptop. This person is a subcontractor, and in talking with the people at the company a lot of discrepancies were coming up. So now I have to deal with how to handle this stolen laptop, and a bunch of other drama. On top of worry how my other employees will fare in the job market.

tjh532
08-04-2014, 09:04 PM
That's too bad VA :( - when it rains, it pours! Sorry to hear about everything you are having to deal with.

sodascouts
08-04-2014, 11:30 PM
Sorry for all you're having to handle, VA.

GA - I'm sorry about what you're having to go through, too. My father just celebrated his 72nd birthday on Sunday and he's still going strong, thank God, but I dread the day when things start to change. :(

WalshFan88
08-05-2014, 05:36 PM
VA - Hang in there. Sure sounds funny about the laptop to me.

Got up at 6AM today to go to the doctor 70+ miles away (orthopedic hip surgeon).....we make it all the way there only to find out that he isn't there and that the appointment is tomorrow. Our calendar book even said it is tomorrow. The reminder call on the answering machine said it was tomorrow (we played it back, they were right). How we managed to screw it up that bad is beyond belief.... Back up early to head to the doctor tomorrow. It's one of those laugh instead of cry moments. :hilarious:

Then I go see a cardiologist on August 12th about some chest pains I've been having. I wrote it off as anxiety but my anxiety doctor didn't think it was, and neither did my regular doc and endocrinologist so we'll see what that's all about. I'm not worried about it - I think it's just anxiety but better be safe than to drop dead of a heart attack because I didn't check it out.

sodascouts
08-05-2014, 05:58 PM
That trip on the wrong day sounds like something I would do, Austin!

Best of luck with your doctors and I hope any chest pains turn out to be nothing more than an annoyance.

tjh532
08-05-2014, 08:18 PM
Take care Austin -that is something that you don't want to be careless with!

Also, can I just say that your Avi makes me giggle every time I see it. I love Grumpy Cat. It's probably how you felt after driving 60 miles for a wrong appt!

WalshFan88
08-05-2014, 08:39 PM
Take care Austin -that is something that you don't want to be careless with!

Also, can I just say that your Avi makes me giggle every time I see it. I love Grumpy Cat. It's probably how you felt after driving 60 miles for a wrong appt!

I was like that from the start. :hilarious: I'm NOT a morning person - that early.....actually started laughing about it after a few minutes after we found out it's tomorrow. It was either laugh or cry. LOL. At least I got breakfast and then came home and took a nap.

tjh532
08-05-2014, 09:18 PM
Lol! Naps are a great way of dealing with things ;) it's good that you could laugh about it.

DJ
08-05-2014, 09:37 PM
Blessings to All...

Austin, you're too young for this, take care!!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-05-2014, 10:46 PM
Just got back from the visitation for my friend's mother. A group of us went, and I did the driving. I'm exhausted!

I might have to go to San Antonio next week on business..I'll find out in the next few days.

Got a call from my stepmother while I was at the visitation (I let it go to voice mail). My dad will be at the hospital tomorrow for an entire series of tests because he's been having chest pains and shortness of breath. Prayers would be welcome!

Tiffanny Twisted
08-05-2014, 10:55 PM
Va I am so sorry for your troubles
The loss of your friends mom suddenly is tough .
Hang in and with your dad , prayers as always gf
Peace. And love
Celle

sodascouts
08-05-2014, 11:23 PM
Prayers for you and your family, VA!

Glennsallnighter
08-06-2014, 01:01 AM
Sorry you had to make such a long trip in vain Austin. I hope all your appointments go well over the next few weeks.

VA, hope it all goes well for your Dad too.

I'll be pretty much out of contact the next 10 days of so as we are going to France. Tho I will try to check in when we have wifi, and also on FB. Take care everyone! Chat soon!

Prettymaid
08-06-2014, 07:50 AM
Bye GA! Have a wonderful time!

Houston Baby
08-06-2014, 08:57 AM
So much has been happening here! I am going to try and catch up this weekend. In the meantime everyone is in my prayers especially those who are dealing with health issues whether themselves or their family members and those traveling. Prayers are being said. :grouphug:

Brooke
08-06-2014, 09:49 AM
Austin, glad you could laugh off your boo-boo! Good luck today and with the rest of your health issues. Hopefully all will turn out well!

I love Grumpy Cat too! Can't help but laugh when I see her!

VA, hang in there! I'm so sorry to hear of your troubles and will put you and your family in my prayers!

Ga, sounds like an awesome trip! I'd love to see France! Have fun and be safe! Looking forward to pics!

sodascouts
08-06-2014, 10:38 AM
Have a great time in France, GA! I believe you know the language, right? I'm sure it will be fantastic!

bluefeather
08-06-2014, 12:49 PM
have a blast Ga! I'm going to France as well next week.:partytime:

hugs and good vibes to you and your dad VA

WalshFan88
08-06-2014, 05:46 PM
Just got home from the orthopedic surgeon.

I got a nice shot in my hip that felt great.... (sarcasm alert!).

The plan is for hip replacement in the next year - trying to hold off till next summer when my parents are home and can help take care of me. So we're trying cortisone injections to buy some time.

sodascouts
08-06-2014, 07:51 PM
I just hope the hip replacement is able to give you some long-term relief.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-06-2014, 08:19 PM
Ouch, Austin!! Sounds painful! I hope the short term things work.

Thanks, everyone, for your prayer. I found out on the way home from the office tonight that Dad is having the tests done on Tuesday, they weren't today. I'm flying to San Antonio on Tuesday. Another one of those trips where a group is all traveling together. I have to wonder how hot it'll be in August. Whose idea was this?

GA, have a good time in France!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-06-2014, 09:47 PM
I forgot to mention that at lunch yesterday, a friend and I were eating healthy at Hardees (OK, well, maybe not healthy), and when it was time to leave, a woman who looked very down on her luck asked us if we would give her and her daughter a ride to a church that was a couple miles away. Her daughter seemed to have Downs Syndrome and other problems as well. Neither Amanda nor I knew what to say. I think I actually stuttered that I don't allow strangers in a vehicle with me, and she looked flustered at that. I explained that I was raised to be careful. The entire time, I was trying to determine what the right thing to do was. So, I ended up saying it was OK, and we all got in my truck. Along the way, she mentioned she was going to the church because it was the Food Bank day, every Tuesday and Thursday, so I'm glad we offered the ride.

WalshFan88
08-07-2014, 03:30 AM
Very good VA about the car.

I totally agree you can never be too safe. And as stereotypical as this may come across, I'd have been doubly nervous or suspicious if it was a guy and especially one that looked rough or low-class. I try not to be stereotypical but I also know that a lot of muggings, carjackings, and murders happen and a lot of times it's those people that are involved.

I'm super paranoid about people's intentions. I have severe anxiety in social settings anyway, anytime someone comes up to us asking for money on the street I automatically assume they are going to shoot me. This year I went to check out a record shop in a big town but away from the main business district. This guy followed us from our vehicle to the store but we made it inside before he could catch us, so he caught us on the way back asking for money. I was freaking out, but it seemed like a fairly innocent homeless person.

I never allow my family to use rest stops - ever.... I don't care if your bladder is about ready to rupture... Either use a gas station in a big town where there is lots of people around or just hold it or pee your pants. :hilarious:

Same with nighttime concerts in big cities and making the way back to the hotel. I have a taxi called before the last number of the night is finished! I tell them I'll be right out in a bit and try to give them the right time frame. I don't want to sit outside or god forbid, have to walk around looking for a taxi. I don't care if there is others watching or with us, I don't take any chances - not even in Peoria or Springfield, let alone Chicago or St. Louis.

Better be safe than dead! I realize that's exaggerating but it's the way I feel. I find it's better to make strangers earn your trust from the start than to give it and take it away later.

Brooke
08-07-2014, 09:26 AM
VA, I know you did a good deed, but please be careful. I'm pretty leary about strangers too.

Austin, I'm sorry you have to have hip replacement at such a young age, but if that will help, I guess that's what's best! Good luck! I have some hip pain myself and have only been to the doctor once about it. It was an inflammation, but if I over do the walking it comes back...doesn't seem to be the joint itself. All I know is, it's painful!

And Austin, how does it work to call a taxi for after a concert? I've thought of that, but there are so many people looking for one, do they wait for you only? And how do you find the one you called?

WalshFan88
08-07-2014, 03:10 PM
And Austin, how does it work to call a taxi for after a concert? I've thought of that, but there are so many people looking for one, do they wait for you only? And how do you find the one you called?

Luckily I haven't had any issues with people nabbing our taxi ride. I tell them my first name and usually they wait for you. I try to time it right so that the cab pulls up right around the time we are walking out the door. If you just call in or wait for one, it's first come first serve. I find in a lot of the bigger cities like Chicago they will actually ask you your name saying "Are you Austin" before we get in, as if they are waiting for us, which is nice. That happened in Nashville last month.

DJ
08-07-2014, 08:47 PM
Very nice VA somtimes gut instinct rules out!

Just livin in the HOT and I mean HOT summer days. I was suppose to attend the Paul Mccartney concert on the 5th and couldn't go because it was outside and they wanted people there 3 hours before he played. It was 99 here that day and I cannot go out in the heat, bummed me out but I'll live. My daughter went and said he was very gracious and sounded the same as all of his older stuff.

DJ
08-07-2014, 08:49 PM
Austin good luck with your hip. I've had those shots in my shoulder and they did help for awhile.

VAisForEagleLovers
08-11-2014, 11:37 PM
Packing up and getting ready for my trip to San Antonio. I'm looking forward to the trip, it'll be nice to get out of the office again. The job with the company that is taking over that I mentioned before will not be forthcoming. The govt rep who said he'd recommend me tells me he did and they just aren't comfortable with hiring a manager from their competitor. However, two different people have heard from two different sources that he never recommended me. I can't be too upset about it because I didn't plan on taking the job unless it was all that stood between me and starvation, and these types of petty games tells me it's not a job I need. It just bothers me that I counted this guy as a friend and yet he looks me right in the eyes and lies to me.

Brooklyn Roads
08-12-2014, 12:34 AM
My day started by texting my friend and boss that I would be late getting to the customer office because I had to meet an employee at the company office and collect their laptop and office key. The reply? She would forward my text to someone else because her mother died unexpectedly over the weekend. She had bronchitis and just came from the doctor's, laid down for a nap and never woke up. My boss was en route home after two weeks in Europe on business. She's understandably upset and as she said, a walking zombie. A group of us will make the trip to Lexington tomorrow evening for the visitation.

Then there was the employee who was to have their last day today. Never arrived. When questioned about the company laptop the response was that it had been stolen. Uh-huh. This person doesn't have a personal laptop, only a MacBook, and I know they wanted a PC-based laptop. This person is a subcontractor, and in talking with the people at the company a lot of discrepancies were coming up. So now I have to deal with how to handle this stolen laptop, and a bunch of other drama. On top of worry how my other employees will fare in the job market.

Prayers go out to your boss. I am so sorry to hear of losing her mother. :cry:

I hope you can recover the laptop and hopefully have as little drama involved as possible.

Brooklyn Roads
08-12-2014, 12:43 AM
I realize I have been MIA on here for some time. I have been away due to some very busy last few months. Work mostly kicked in a few notches of crazy busy (insurance just seems like we're constantly on a rolling ball, trying to stay balanced between accounts). Plus our office moved to a brand new office on the same block that we were on. Prior to this, we were leasing the most expensive office in the city I work in. The views were pretty outstanding. The location was slightly better than what we have now. But, the price was just too much to stay. So, six months of tearing apart half of the 4th floor of where we currently reside and rebuilding from the floor to ceiling, we have a beautiful new office. It's taken some time to adjust to a few tweaks, but for the most part, the move went very smooth.

Also, my mother had to move out of the place she was sharing with a boyfriend (now an ex-boyfriend, lol) Luckily she did get equity out of this, being a co-owner. However, being that the house sold very quickly, she had to be out really fast. My mother needed some help and I had to take 3 days off work to help her get rid of things - to either give to Good Will or throw out. It was difficult throwing out/giving away certain items. I had to give up my old bedroom set that I've had since I was 4 years old. Many of my old Barbie toys, etc. I kept my Barbie clothes though and a couple Barbies I liked most. It was a bit emotional. My aunt came and helped us, which was a God send, as I was falling apart physically, as so was my mother. My back hasn't quite been the same. It feels like a nerve issue in my back, like a snake is crawling up and down my spine. Freaky! I guess too much lifting. Now, all my mom's stuff is in storage and she is out at my Grandma's helping take care of her.

Whew, and now my brother's baby is on it's way in a month or so.

However, in between all of that, I did get to go see Barry Gibb and Steely Dan in concert :)

I hope all of you have been well - just thought I'd give a little update :)

Brooke
08-12-2014, 11:28 AM
BR, good to hear from you! Sounds like you've been busy! Hope your back feels better soon too!

VA, have fun in San Antonio! I've only been there once, but loved it! And sorry to hear about your 'friend'. :scowl:

bluefeather
08-12-2014, 02:23 PM
nice to hear from you BR, I hope your back gets better and I know the feeling because I have periodical nerve pain in my back due to a bad accident a few years back, I also hope the baby brings you much joy

WalshFan88
08-13-2014, 07:50 AM
BR - feel better soon!

VA - have fun!

------

Yesterday was my Cardiology appointment. She thinks it's not a heart blockage or anything life threatening but is thinking it's likely an electrical rhythm problem and perhaps palpitations due to an arrhythmia. I go for a stress test next week to try to reproduce my problem on a treadmill since it happens mostly with activity. Fun!

Hip is still doing good from the injection...fingers crossed.

Going to Current River again this weekend. Should be fun but I doubt I tube this time - probably too cold and to be honest I don't feel like it. I'm kind of gunshy after that last sunburn I had down there and I'd rather just go boating.

Brooke
08-13-2014, 10:00 AM
Austin, glad to hear your problem is not as serious as it could be! And that your hip is feeling good!

Have fun at the Current River! Take your sunscreen, and USE it! :lol:

sodascouts
08-13-2014, 12:13 PM
WF - hope your health continues to improve. Have fun!

BR - I am quite the packrat so I can imagine how hard packing up things would be. I was also a big Barnie fan too! "Malibu Barbie" was my fave.

VA - I'm sorry about your betrayal. Best of luck finding a company that will value your work. You're in my prayers!

bluefeather
08-13-2014, 05:39 PM
Austin-Oh good your hip injection works, I hope you'll continue to feel good, have fun and don't burn yourself again:D

Va-must be beyond annoying, good luck at finding something better

I'm a very happy girl now, off to Nice in the morning and right after that to Helsinki to paramedic school:yay::yay::yay: I never believed this would actually happen:D, still have to put up with my aching leg though but it's fortunately much better than a week ago

sodascouts
08-13-2014, 07:22 PM
Wonderful - best of luck!

WalshFan88
08-13-2014, 07:51 PM
BF - glad you are feeling better. :)

tjh532
08-14-2014, 12:15 AM
Congrats BlueFeather - and good luck!

ziesha098
08-14-2014, 05:41 AM
My life is quite hectic because I lead a life includes job and college but I'm fine being busy.

Brooke
08-14-2014, 09:35 AM
bf, glad your leg is better and best of luck to you in paramedic school! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
08-14-2014, 08:35 PM
I'm back from San Antonio and very glad to be back. While the presentation went better than expected, it was still a stressful trip. I have all the Eagles albums, all of Glenn's and all of Don's on my tablet and I did a shuffle of them on the trip back. The first five it played were either Glenn solo songs or Eagles songs he sings lead on, and that incredible voice over the Bose headphones had me melting into my seat. Made me feel so much better.

As for the job, while I'm still looking (as much as I can with all the travel), I'll probably take a job with the company I already work for. It'll probably be a paycut, which is why I'm still looking elsewhere. However, it'll also be less work and a lot less stress.

tjh532
08-15-2014, 05:03 PM
VA - I'm glad you have a job to fall back on while you look for what you want. That takes some of the stress off - although that stress is a good reason to unwind with Glenn ;)

Ziesha098 - Welcome to the Border!

WalshFan88
08-15-2014, 06:56 PM
VA - Music is a wonderful thing innit?!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-15-2014, 07:20 PM
VA - Music is a wonderful thing innit?!

Yes!!!!! There are people who go days without listening to music and I'm pretty sure they must be aliens or something. Even when I'm not listening to music, there's always a song playing in my head.

WalshFan88
08-16-2014, 10:03 AM
Yes!!!!! There are people who go days without listening to music and I'm pretty sure they must be aliens or something. Even when I'm not listening to music, there's always a song playing in my head.

Same here.

I remember a couple years ago the same week Joe's Analog Man album came out I had to get a root canal and I was freaking out so I put Analog Man on my iPod and listened to it while having it done and it got me through it as I hate the dentist.

sodascouts
08-16-2014, 07:35 PM
I went ahead and moved the Eagles part of the discussion this thread (https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=225), since it was related to a particular link.

thelastresort
08-17-2014, 03:04 PM
Inverness tomorrow :blueblob:

bluefeather
08-17-2014, 06:29 PM
thanks for the good luck wishes and a warm Mediterranean breeze and greetings to you all!:):partytime:

Brooke
08-18-2014, 09:45 AM
We had our 40th (doesn't that sound awful?!) class reunion Saturday night! It was great getting to see old friends! And those that weren't friends are friends now! How time changes things! We had a class of 33 that graduated, one of the largest classes ever for our school and only 10 showed up. One came from Ohio and those that actually live nearby never came or even RSVP'd! Oh well, their loss! It was great reminiscing and learning about them now! Had a really nice time!

WalshFan88
08-19-2014, 07:51 PM
Current River was fun! No sunburn this time. :hilarious:

Ended up being talked into going tubing again. I did fine until I hit a log and about came off of my tube. I believe I said a bad word, not sure....:rofl: I was more scared than anything, I jumped as it was mostly underwater and barely visible.

Friday is my stress test......hope I get some answers. I blew the chest pain off as being anxiety as I'm going through quite a bit at the moment but I'm just not so sure since it seems to be exertional-based and heart trouble runs in the family - both electrical problems and heart disease.

sodascouts
08-20-2014, 12:53 AM
Glad you had fun, despite the scary moment. I hope all goes well for your test!

WalshFan88
08-20-2014, 09:35 AM

bluefeather
08-20-2014, 11:26 AM
sounds like you had fun time Austin, hope the test goes ok

I have to return to Finland tomorrow:sad:

DJ
08-20-2014, 10:15 PM
Blessings to you Austin on your test I feel you will be fine. Anxiety plays funny tricks on your body. Be well. :band:and tune into your Ipod!

tjh532
08-21-2014, 01:21 AM
I have to return to Finland tomorrow:sad:

I hope that doesn't mean a problem with school!

Houston Baby
08-22-2014, 08:27 AM
This time of year I usually get a little sad since it is close to summer being officially over though in H-town summer seems to now last until November. But I am definitely looking forward to this fall, Eagles and Fleetwood Mac will both be touring!
Woo Hoo!!!
Here's to a fabulous FALL!!!! :band:

bluefeather
08-22-2014, 05:12 PM
no problem with school, just that my week in France is over and I have to get to work, meaning studying

I had a good first day in my new school, I'm already liking my classmates and the tutor teacher:)

VAisForEagleLovers
08-23-2014, 09:45 PM
My mom and aunt made the long trip for a visit, they got here on Wednesday and staying until next Wednesday. Having a good visit with them in spite of the fact I need to work.

As for the work situation, I have a big decision or two to make by Monday, and I haven't come close to making a decision yet.

WalshFan88
08-24-2014, 04:08 PM
VA - Best wishes and luck for your upcoming job decisions.

-----------

I survived the treadmill - barely! They left me hooked up to an EKG recorder for about 15 minutes afterward as I was having intense chest pain. Obviously not a heart attack or they would have said something!!

I should know the results tomorrow....

thelastresort
08-24-2014, 06:33 PM
Hope all's well WF88!

----------------

Anyway, Inverness was fun. I'll post up some pictures later in the relevant thread, but I will say this - if any of you across the Atlantic (or indeed anyone on this side!) ever get the chance to visit the Highlands, do it. I've travelled to just about every city and county in the UK and Ireland and I can categorically state there is nowhere more downright beautiful than the Scottish Highlands, it's breathtaking. Sadly my photos won't do it justice (it's hard to get photos from trains, OK? :lol:) but believe me it's an amazing place. One day I was coming back from the Isle of Skye: I'd had a great time, the sun was setting over the hills and lochs and I had proper country-era Eagles playing through my headphones. I don't think I've ever had a more peaceful, easy feeling in my life!

tjh532
08-25-2014, 01:33 AM
VA: good luck with your decision!

Walsh fan - that sounds scary! Please take care of yourself :) hopefully it isn't anything too serious. Medicine is amazing these days. I hope they can get to the bottom of it and find a way to help.

Last resort - I'm quite jealous! ;) I have always wanted to see the UK. Can't wait to see your pictures.

Glennsallnighter
08-25-2014, 05:49 AM
Well I'm back from holidays since last week but have had quite a lot going on between getting myself and the children ready for school and work, and hubby being still on holidays as well, so we have been getting the house set up too. We had a great time. The first 5 days we spent on the beaches of Normandy reviewing the part the Normandy landings played in the ending of WW2, and then we went to Belgium where had a look at some of the history of WW1 which started just about 100 years ago. Very interesting - I earned a lot I didn't know. I'll poat some pics when I've trawled through them all. Theres rather a lot.

Just been scanning what I've missed and of course I wish anyone going through tough times all the best and hope that things work out for them. particularly VA! I hope you make the right decisions at the right time. And Austin, I hope your health checks bring the results you want.

Now I'm back to work and have two big events coming up. My trip to NYC in just over 2 weeks, and I have been asked to exhibit my pictures in another exhibition later in the month! It never stops!

thelastresort
08-25-2014, 06:05 AM
My granddad was one of the ones who landed at Normandy, it was his 21st birthday! Did you go to Thiepval or around that area in Belgium? Always wanted to go but I can imagine it's absolutely heartbreaking.

bluefeather
08-25-2014, 06:32 AM
tlr-you are so lucky, Scotland is high on my list of places to go

Austin-I really hope your chest pain wasn't because of your heart, hopefully the doctors figure something out soon so that you get the help you need:hug:

Brooke
08-25-2014, 01:40 PM
tlr, I would love to visit Scotland too! Sounds like it must be beautiful!

VA, best of luck with your decision! I guess you've made it by now!

WF, I hope your chest pains are nothing serious!

Ga, sounds like a very interesting vacation! Can't wait to see pics!

bf, study hard!

I'm glad to be back at work! I had forgotten how busy a baby can keep you, wow! I didn't accomplish much at home at all last week what with keeping my grandson every day! He's such a sweetie and now I miss him!

Glennsallnighter
08-26-2014, 10:29 AM
My granddad was one of the ones who landed at Normandy, it was his 21st birthday! Did you go to Thiepval or around that area in Belgium? Always wanted to go but I can imagine it's absolutely heartbreaking.

We were in Ypres in Belgium and did a lot around that general area. It is certainly sobering to see what carnage resulted from WW1, harder even to understand how quickly another horrific war blew up after that. We all just don't know how lucky we are or live in relatively peaceful times, although I know there are areas with major conflicts still going on.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-26-2014, 07:18 PM
v a good luck with your choice.
extra prayers coming your way .

It will all work out.
I have faith enough to cover you GF even if yours gets shaky.

HB I am so excited for you and your upcoming concert adventures FM and eagles. :grooving:

I wont go into detail but I just came back from a surprise opportunity to visit my son in Chicago.

I had a blast but came back with a blister on my heel big enough to qualify for its own zip code.....

Loved the cubs game and the rock hall of fame on the way out to Chicago.

WalshFan88
08-27-2014, 07:07 PM
HB - have fun with the upcoming shows!

GA - welcome back!!!

TLR - very cool

--------

I got good news and (potentially) bad news.

Good news is that my heart is fine - my echo was normal.... The Stress Test was ok for the heart portion, but my oxygen level went far too low, and that can cause chest pain as if it was a blocked artery. They are thinking asthma or inflamed airways causing the shortness of breath as well. So now I'm going to have a pulmonary function test and might need to see a pulmonologist if that is abnormal. I'm just so relieved it's not heart disease, I really am just focused on that.

Houston Baby
08-27-2014, 09:33 PM
So glad to hear your heart is fine Austin. I was getting nervous since we haven't heard about it from you. Hopefully the pulmonary function test will also be good.

VA - I'm hoping you find a great job opportunity soon so you can go back to focusing on EAGLES concerts. You are too dedicated of a worker not to get a great job.

TT - Hope you had a great vacation & also got some rest.

Prayers are being said for all for health & happiness.

Tiffanny Twisted
08-28-2014, 07:12 PM
hb I had a blast .
the best part was seeing my kid for 6 days straight .
The cubs game was a blast even though I am a Phillies fan , just being in that iconic stadium was enough to make me speechless except for the smile on my face.
Stopping at the rock and roll hall of fame was a bonus.
when I saw the stevie nicks dress I thought of you and Nancy .when I saw the TBS keys lol I thought of Brenda.
Jackson Brown was Sally Gee all the way.
I was in awe when I saw the original double necked guitar that don felder used for my all time favorite eagles song hotel California .

it was such a blessing to get to go thanks to my friends.

Grey Sadler
08-28-2014, 09:09 PM
Ok, better fess up here, I've already hinted at it on FB...

I have made the agonizing switch from bass to piano. I still love it, still pat out bass lines when I hear songs...but physically (and mentally), I've decided its not the path for me. I was hitting a wall during summer lessons (was studying bass and piano), so I asked to work on 6-string this fall. I hit a waaaay bigger wall there. It came down to my teacher telling me that if I couldn't devote 30 minutes/day for 6 days/week, then I really needed to think about whether to keep playing or not.

So...I take this advice, and say to myself "Yeah, I practice every day...I start with PIANO!" Some days I only worked on piano. Didn't have to lug out things from cases, plug in, and (the worst part of all), didn't have to deal with the fretting-hand finger PAIN (I can hear Austin right now...I know, should have built up something from playing bass all that time!). I haven't picked up a guitar since Monday evening and I still feel the strings on my fingertips. Not to mention that my right hand cramped the entire evening after the lesson (trying to fingerpick...sounds great but OUCH!!)...and did I mention the major neck strain from trying to sit in with my church's band (and looking at the neck of the guitar for about, um, two hours?!)

So...I resume tickling the ivories. I still have my Eagles songbook...would really like to put my spin on some of those old songs (TITTL? TTD? TALA?)

WalshFan88
08-28-2014, 11:49 PM
I totally understand GS! Bass can be a very difficult instrument with fingers. It's often better to start on a guitar first because bass strings are a LOT bigger than guitar strings and require more pressure and bigger callouses.

Piano is a challenging instrument - kudos on playing it! I've always wanted to. I love the sound of the piano (one of my favorite pieces is the piano coda in Clapton's "Layla") but it is a bit too technical for me. I was never into a theory based thing or reading music (I tried, it was not for me). I'm more of a sloppy Jimmy Page meets Joe Walsh kinda guy and a bunch of technical know-how isn't very rock n' roll to me, so I rebelled against taking lessons or trying again to read music. Fact is, unless you are in a studio as a session musician, you really don't need to know how to read music to play guitar, much less rock n' roll guitar. If you are a jazz or old school country (aka before it became an 80s rock throwback) and doing sessions and CREATING jazz/classical/country music, then yes sight reading and theory is important. But if you are creating old rock n' roll or playing it live, nobody used charts!!! Steely Dan perhaps, but again that's more jazz fusion, etc. Eagles certainly didn't. It was all by ear.

Glennsallnighter
08-30-2014, 05:39 AM
Kudos to you GS but you can't listen it people who TELL you how much to practise. Then it becomes a chore rather than fun. Don't think 'I'm gonna practise' think 'I'm gonna PLAY'.

I had formal piano tuition but in our house we were never told we had to practise it. The problem was finding a time when it was actually free! Ie no one else had beaten us to it first. It was played from about 8am to 11pm most days!

I've taught myself guitar (6 string), tin whistle, clarinet and recorder and can play pretty much anything I pick up. All by ear. If the Eagles do not do any tours where I can attend next year I am looking at getting a saxophone.

DivineDon
08-30-2014, 11:07 AM
...then we went to Belgium where had a look at some of the history of WW1 which started just about 100 years ago.

Very interested in your trip to Belgium, GA. I've always been fascinated with WW1 since I was at school especially because it seemed so pointless and really changed the face of Europe with the fall of the Hapsburgs and Romanovs (I'm completely obsessed with the Romanovs btw). Have you ever read Sebastian Faulks' Bird Song or Pat Barker's Regeneration, a trilogy of novels based around the First World War? While fiction, they're brilliant reads and give you a real insight into the madness.

At the moment I'm reading Catherine Bailey's The Secret Rooms, a true story based on the 9th Duke of Rutland and the rooms he died in during the 1940s in his castle at Belvoir. Something mysterious happened during the WW1 when he was based in Ypres which no one can account for. His diary entries and all correspondence between June 1915 and December 1915 disappeared and Bailey, who is an historian tries to figure out the story. I've only read a couple of chapters but it's really looking promising, a cross between Northanger Abbey and an Agatha Chrisite novel but one which is completely true.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your photos.

btw, my sympathies to everyone feeling low and stressed - I'm a fully paid up member of that club:nod:

tjh532
08-30-2014, 03:43 PM
At the moment I'm reading Catherine Bailey's The Secret Rooms, a true story based on the 9th Duke of Rutland and the rooms he died in during the 1940s in his castle at Belvoir. Something mysterious happened during the WW1 when he was based in Ypres which no one can account for. His diary entries and all correspondence between June 1915 and December 1915 disappeared and Bailey, who is an historian tries to figure out the story. I've only read a couple of chapters but it's really looking promising, a cross between Northanger Abbey and an Agatha Chrisite novel but one which is completely true.

DD, I would love to hear what you think of your book when you are finished. It sounds fascinating! I love history, and the WWI era is one that I have not read a lot about. It sounds like a really good book.

DivineDon
08-31-2014, 11:12 AM
DD, I would love to hear what you think of your book when you are finished. It sounds fascinating! I love history, and the WWI era is one that I have not read a lot about. It sounds like a really good book.

Sure, tjh I'll post a review when I'm finished. Thanks for your interest :thumbsup:

Freypower
08-31-2014, 07:33 PM
Very interested in your trip to Belgium, GA. I've always been fascinated with WW1 since I was at school especially because it seemed so pointless and really changed the face of Europe with the fall of the Hapsburgs and Romanovs (I'm completely obsessed with the Romanovs btw). Have you ever read Sebastian Faulks' Bird Song or Pat Barker's Regeneration, a trilogy of novels based around the First World War? While fiction, they're brilliant reads and give you a real insight into the madness.

Anyway, looking forward to seeing your photos.

btw, my sympathies to everyone feeling low and stressed - I'm a fully paid up member of that club:nod:

Have you read Robert K. Massie's books Peter The Great, Catherine The Great & Nicholas & Alexandra?

N&A was one of the books which had the greatest influence on me. It's an amazing story, brilliantly told.

StephUK
08-31-2014, 08:42 PM
I apologise if I've been sounding like a 'grumpy bunny' here recently. Life has been a bit of a downer recently. Health problems are getting me down a bit. Also, my cat was attacked by a neighbours dog - he's OK(although he has developed a kidney problem) but was badly traumatised. The neighbour then threatened me. The police were involved & it all got a bit unpleasant & upsetting. My elderly parents(85 & 87 years old) are a worry to me, 'cos of their health problems.
Sometimes it all gets just a bit too much, doesn't it?

I still love the Eagles music, even if I was a bit disappointed after the shows I saw in June. I still adore Will Hollis too, of course(even with the beard:thumbsdown:).

Hopefully things will lighten up a bit soon & I'll feel more cheerful again.

Just wanted to explain why I haven't contributed to the board much recently, and for being somewhat negative when I have contributed.

DivineDon
09-01-2014, 10:35 AM
Have you read Robert K. Massie's books Peter The Great, Catherine The Great & Nicholas & Alexandra?

N&A was one of the books which had the greatest influence on me. It's an amazing story, brilliantly told.

Yep, I've read them all!! I told you I was obsessed with the Romanovs :hilarious: Massie is an authority on the Russian royals. Have you read his account of the Anna Anderson story re Anastasia - very interesting. It definitively rules out Anderson through DNA from Prince Philip and proves she was a German munitions factory girl instead who went missing after an explosion in 1918. However, it still doesn't explain how this factory girl knew intimate details from the Romanovs lives and still fooled some of their inner circle including the doctor ~ that's what I find fascinating. :) And of course Rasputin's involvement...just compelling...

Sorry to those not feeling the best, I hope the new month brings new changes for the good.

thelastresort
09-01-2014, 11:40 AM
Sorry to hear that Steph, hope all works out soon.

DD - you sound like my old history teacher, he too was obsessed by Russian history and the Romanovs :lol: (the most I can remember now is that they were executed in Ekatrinesburg and weren't expecting to be!). Funny you should mention Belvior, I went there years ago whilst staying in the area and it is certainly one of the grandest buildings I have ever visited. Situated high upon a hill and by my reckoning from it you can see the cooling towers of a power station at least a dozen miles away. Would certainly pay a visit again if I ever passed by.

DivineDon
09-01-2014, 01:04 PM
Sorry to hear that Steph, hope all works out soon.

DD - you sound like my old history teacher, he too was obsessed by Russian history and the Romanovs :lol: (the most I can remember now is that they were executed in Ekatrinesburg and weren't expecting to be!). Funny you should mention Belvior, I went there years ago whilst staying in the area and it is certainly one of the grandest buildings I have ever visited. Situated high upon a hill and by my reckoning from it you can see the cooling towers of a power station at least a dozen miles away. Would certainly pay a visit again if I ever passed by.

Ha ha! I hope you liked your history teacher TLR.
I know, I get these obsessions ~ eg: Mr Henley :)

But I love coincidences too - I'd never heard of Belvoir till I started reading this book and now you say you've actually been there!!! That's the kinda thing I like :thumbsup:

EagleLady
09-01-2014, 01:05 PM
Steph, I'm so sorry to hear about your kitty :( Hope everything gets better for you

VAisForEagleLovers
09-01-2014, 03:15 PM
Steph, sorry to hear about all the issues you've been having. I hope things get better soon.

DD and TLR, I haven't read about the Romanovs since about 30 years ago and I find I've forgotten most of it, apparently. Just so you know, Belvoir to me is a US Army installation in Fairfax County in Virginia! We have a book thread that has been pretty silent lately, it sounds like you read a lot, so feel free to post there as well.

For me, there's a guy who moved into my apartment complex recently, and I've seen him around and we've talked a bit. It was one of those things where there was interest on both sides and both of us felt it. I saw him outside a few hours ago and the conversation headed in the direction of going out somewhere at some time, he asked if I was seeing anyone, etc. I mentioned that I was going out of town this weekend, hesitating to mention going to two Eagles concerts until I knew how such fanaticism would be received. I mentioned missing the first weekend of football due to driving. As we're talking, being a Christian, I'm praying and asking for a sign on whether I should go out with him if he asked. I got a blonde-proof sign! He tells me he's not into sports, and has better things to do with his time than watch football. Or any sport. I said I liked football (understatement, I know) and watch some baseball and hockey as well (nearly every game is 'some', right?). Well, apparently baseball is boring, and hockey is just a bunch of big kids on skates. Really? I politely removed myself from the conversation as soon as I could and took off to the store I had been headed to when I went outside.

EagleLady
09-01-2014, 03:21 PM
:hilarious: You go Girl. I don't know a guy who doesn't like sports.

thelastresort
09-01-2014, 03:39 PM
WF88 unless I'm mistaken is one ;) I can take it or leave it. It's probably actually as my interest in Eagles and music in general has gotten stronger that my interest in sports has begun to wane. Odd.

WalshFan88
09-01-2014, 04:03 PM
WF88 unless I'm mistaken is one ;) I can take it or leave it. It's probably actually as my interest in Eagles and music in general has gotten stronger that my interest in sports has begun to wane. Odd.

You have a good memory....;)

Let it be clear, I have NOTHING against sports or sports fans at all, it's just that "I" personally cannot get into them. Just like big TV watchers that follow "insert show here". I however have admiration for anyone who is passionate about something and have something they follow or believe in or support. I think it's only healthy and that it's cool. I certainly have things I'm equally passionate about.

I'm just not a TV guy at all. Unless I'm watching a movie or a concert video, I'm NEVER in front of a TV! It has to be really special to keep my attention long enough to sit and watch TV. I'd much rather be on a computer surfing the net and watching YouTube videos or playing music.

I love the Super Bowl though, mostly for the party and the food. :hilarious: Sometimes the halftime performance if it's any good.... I'll act somewhat interested as I'm sitting there wolfing down hot wings or whatever..... Hell I'll even make bets on who's going to win, and I haven't watched a single game! Just playing along is all. Because I do feel like a weirdo for being a guy who doesn't like (AKA NOT HATE) sports and I don't want to be judged for that by other guys. So I'll play along with people who don't know me well.

thelastresort
09-01-2014, 04:14 PM
I'm just not a TV guy at all. Unless I'm watching a movie or a concert video, I'm NEVER in front of a TV! It has to be really special to keep my attention long enough to sit and watch TV. I'd much rather be on a computer surfing the net and watching YouTube videos or playing music.

Same on both points, practically everyone I know at uni is watching a TV series and talking about it incessantly (usually Breaking Bad, Game of Thrones or The Wire) and I for the life of me couldn't care less about any of them. I also really struggle to watch films, I normally have to take a break every half an hour to maintain concentration on it. I also tend to whittle hours away on the Internet, forums are the biggest contributor to that, followed by YouTube. I love what you can do with the whole thing - I can look up everything from my interest in the American West to speed runs of my favourite video games to listen to just about any song ever recorded. That'll do me!

tjh532
09-02-2014, 01:01 AM
VA- you are one smart cookie;) I don't think I could date someone who didn't like sports (especially football!)

Austin, I think it's great that you know what you like and stick with it. I too love everything and anything about the history of the American West, and obviously I love music, so there you go...seems that we all can find common ground on these boards - outside of the Eagles, that is :)

VAisForEagleLovers
09-02-2014, 07:24 PM
Oh, what a day! First off, still no news on the job front. I guess tomorrow. It doesn't sound good...and I'm curious as anything. Today I got in and found my government counterpart wasn't in, he called in sick, and so I had to cover his meetings. I wasn't really prepared to do that, and one involved going to a general's office and sitting on in a teleconference with some muckity-mucks from the Office of the Secretary of Defense and a Presidential Appointee. Fortunately for me, the general is a Steelers fan.

Then I got my hair done and asked him to put the layers back and trim a half inch. Two+ inches later, my hair is way shorter than I wanted. Why do hairdressers have such problems with this?????

Brooke
09-03-2014, 09:33 AM
VA, meeting with a general? Yikes!

And I know what you mean about the hair cut. I ask for a tiny trim and it's always shorter than I wanted! I don't get it either!

bluefeather
09-03-2014, 03:20 PM
VA-good on you for getting through a tough situation, I'd be SO anxious

VAisForEagleLovers
09-03-2014, 09:58 PM
Yes, a general and the UnderSecretary of the Army and the Presidential Appointee to the Office of the Secretary of Defense. I never know what's coming next.

So...my company finally talked to me this morning about what's happening after the end of the contract. They have a job for me, and it's at a much lower pay rate. I'd been thinking that a person needs to do what a person needs to do, but I also believe in 'what comes around goes around' and 'two wrongs don't make a right'. So I hesitated over accepting it because I knew I'd leave the moment I found a better and higher paying job, and I didn't want to be like that. When they pressed me and I expressed that as a concern...get this....they were fine with it!!!!!! Can you believe?? They just want me on board to transition some knowledge to others, and I can stay for a year or leave when I find something better. I have to say, I'm in complete shock. Complete shock. Companies just don't do this and especially not this one. It is lower pay, but you know? It's far more than unemployment, plus I still have health insurance. I can take my time and get the right job and not the first job. I won't have the stress of this job, or the expectations, so I'll actually have time off to interview. Definitely an answer to a lot of prayers...

sodascouts
09-03-2014, 10:52 PM
It sounds great, VA - so glad things are looking up!

I've been a busy bee lately - out of town the past two weekends and running around in between - but I've been catching up and my prayers and sympathies are with those who are struggling.

Houston Baby
09-04-2014, 08:39 AM
I'm so happy to hear this FANTASTIC piece of news VA! Truly an answer to your prayers!

Brooke
09-04-2014, 09:59 AM
VA, that's awesome! Good luck!

Soda, we've been missing you around here! Welcome back!

bluefeather
09-04-2014, 12:54 PM
:yay:very good VA

WalshFan88
09-04-2014, 05:58 PM
Great news, VA!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-04-2014, 08:46 PM
Yeah verna

glad to hear it and great for you.
sorry about the neighbor / guy thing.

steph uk
my buddy I will add extra prayers for you ,
I think of you often.

been busy at work.
friend had a new baby boy who has laid claim to Lukes former favorite spot...aunt celle holding him over her heart and rocking him to sleep.
Work busy but it helps time pass quickly. I have gotten adapt to putting sticking notes on charts and adding to the pile when the phones get crazy.

I miss my son:-(

sodascouts
09-05-2014, 10:27 PM
Ugh, my cell phone just died for good! I hope I didn't lose too much. I'll be getting a new one tomorrow.

At least it didn't happen in NYC!

bluefeather
09-06-2014, 02:52 PM
TT- I'm sorry because of your son:hug:

school has been very good for me, had a big student party last night and I'm still kind of tired, was really good party though:headbang:
and BTW I need a new phone too

Topkat
09-09-2014, 08:21 PM
I know I haven't been in here in ages, so I'm trying to catch up a little bit
VA, I'm so happy for you, that you aren't under the pressure of finding a new job ASAP, plus it's always better to have a job when you're out looking!

As for me, I've just been busy working & in my time off I was at my pool, & saw a few shows.

Get this one, my boyfriend booked us a room at the Revel in Atlantic City for Sept 6th with tickets to see Don Felder in the 5th row, but what happens....The REVEL Shuts down on Labor Day, so to compensate us they gave him all the money back & gave us the Felder tickets for free & a free room at another hotel for the night. Only one problem, the hotel they book us in didn't get very good write ups & I didn't want to stay there, so we ended up not going, & the tickets went to waste. I felt bad because Jason had the best intent when he booked this, but hey we had no control over the Revel closing. It's really a shame because it was really a beautiful hotel, as those of us who stayed there 2 years ago & saw the Eagles there will remember.

In any case, I will be going to NY shows & hope to see everyone who's coming at the after party on Sat night.
Really looking forward to it.
Also have tix for Thurs night, but may sell them, not sure yet.
Anyway, see some of you Sat night!! Can't wait !!

Tiffanny Twisted
09-09-2014, 10:37 PM
Thanks blue feather
Its part of being a mom I guess

Brooke
09-10-2014, 10:17 AM
Tk, welcome back! Too bad about missing Felder though!

Have fun at the NY shows though!

bluefeather
09-10-2014, 01:29 PM
hey Tk good to have you back :wave: and what a bummer about the show, your boyfriend was very nice to buy those tix though

My life very much revolves around my new school at the moment and I really like it there. I'm happy the orientation part is finally over and we're getting down to the actual business. We've even started the practical lesson which are fun. So today I spent my schoolday washing my hands and putting on gloves and protective clothing.

WalshFan88
09-11-2014, 04:55 AM
Steph - prayers sent.

TT - well wishes sent to you as well.

BF - glad to hear school is going well!

TK - sorry about missing the concert.

------

I hope I haven't missed anyone!

It's been kind of crazy here. My grandma/stepgrandpa's dog died and it's been rough for the family as they were super close to her and so it's kind of put a down mood on things as of late.

This week has been hectic too. I go Friday for my pulmonary function and spirometry testing - the good news is that I'll have my results the same day and no more waiting by the phone for answers. I also have blood drawn to check for any possible problems with that and my lungs. My birthday is this weekend and I'm going to be spending it with my mom/dad and grandma/stepgrandpa. Should be fun.

Ausfest is the following weekend it's always busy trying to get all of our ducks in a row - it gets bigger every year. I love it though and I love any chance I get to rock out and have fun - it's one of the few things I enjoy and can do with my health. My hope is to someday get back to being able to move around like Angus Young onstage, but right now it's just not happening with the fatigue and breathlessness.

Hope everyone has a great weekend...

VAisForEagleLovers
09-11-2014, 11:36 AM
Have a good birthday and a fun time at AusFest, Austin!

My day started out with going into our personnel system and terminating all my employees. Never a good start to the day. :(

Brooke
09-11-2014, 03:33 PM
Austin, have fun with your birthday weekend and good luck with your tests!

VA, what a bummer! Sounds like a good evening for the Captain! Wish I could join you! :lol:

I've just been to a meeting with my Mom's doctor and health care advocate, along with my sister and one brother. She is becoming more forgetful and hasn't been taking her meds and insulin properly. It was a pretty rough meeting, especially for Mom, as they also told her she couldn't drive her car anymore either. So, my sister has agreed to take care of her if she will move to her town about 20 miles away. She doesn't work outside the home and thinks she has time to do it. It will be a big job for her and we are thankful she is willing and I'm glad Mom won't have to go to a nursing home.

sodascouts
09-11-2014, 11:27 PM
TK - wow, what bum luck! That sucks.

BF - sounds like hard work!

Brooke - I'm so sorry for your mom having to lose her independence, but it's wonderful that your sister can care for her.

VA - sorry you have to deal with that. :(

Austin - happy early birthday in case I don't to get to say it on the day! I hope everything goes ok with your tests.

Glennsallnighter
09-12-2014, 03:12 AM
It's been very busy at work and with the family these last few weeks, so apologies that I have not been on as much as usual. But I do think of everybody a lot and hope that everyone is doing well.

However now I am in Dublin Airport waiting to board my NYC flight to see the boys in concert tomorrow night.

TK, hope we finally manage to hook up!

Austin, early birthday wishes to you too. I hope your tests go well and that you have a great Ausfest. Can't believe it's that time of the year again! Have fun.

VA, sorry you had to let staff go! Never a pleasant job. But I'm glad you still have work to go to.

Ok! Boarding!!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-13-2014, 11:02 AM
Got good news this morning, another of my employees was able to get another job at our company! Yesterday, I found that another of my employees may be extended. I'm very glad about this as this is the stuff that's been keeping me awake at night.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-13-2014, 07:57 PM
Thanks austin for thinking of me.

Happy birthday

Glennsallnighter
09-14-2014, 09:02 AM
Got good news this morning, another of my employees was able to get another job at our company! Yesterday, I found that another of my employees may be extended. I'm very glad about this as this is the stuff that's been keeping me awake at night.

Oh that's wonderful VA!! Glad you have some positive news.

WalshFan88
09-14-2014, 09:25 PM
Thanks to those who wished me Happy Birthday. It was a good one (my 26th), but ultimately just another year... I already got my birthday present to myself, which was my guitar I got in Nashvegas a couple months ago but I got some tshirts, guitar stuff, and cards from family. Lots of good food.

I do FINALLY have some answers to my breathlessness and chest pain, I was diagnosed on Friday with moderate-to-severe Asthma and Chronic Bronchitis. I'm now on some inhaled medicine and a pill to take for one month to clear up the inflammation and they gave me a booster steroid shot. The inhalers I'll likely be on forever. Also I'm to take Claritin D when it gets bad. They said it's common to have exertional dyspnea (fancy word for shortness of breath with activity) with asthma and that the fatigue is likely from the breathing troubles, but still might be just CFS... I feel a bit better already and hope it continues.

I'm hoping I'll be in good shape for Ausfest and also my Fleetwood Mac concert in October. Rock on!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-14-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks to those who wished me Happy Birthday. It was a good one (my 26th), but ultimately just another year... I already got my birthday present to myself, which was my guitar I got in Nashvegas a couple months ago but I got some tshirts, guitar stuff, and cards from family. Lots of good food.

I do FINALLY have some answers to my breathlessness and chest pain, I was diagnosed on Friday with moderate-to-severe Asthma and Chronic Bronchitis. I'm now on some inhaled medicine and a pill to take for one month to clear up the inflammation and they gave me a booster steroid shot. The inhalers I'll likely be on forever. Also I'm to take Claritin D when it gets bad. They said it's common to have exertional dyspnea (fancy word for shortness of breath with activity) with asthma and that the fatigue is likely from the breathing troubles, but still might be just CFS... I feel a bit better already and hope it continues.

I'm hoping I'll be in good shape for Ausfest and also my Fleetwood Mac concert in October. Rock on!

Yep, asthma can cause a lot of problems! The fatigue probably is due to the lack of oxygen and inability to rest when you can't breathe in (bronchitis) or out (asthma).

WalshFan88
09-14-2014, 09:40 PM
Yep, asthma can cause a lot of problems! The fatigue probably is due to the lack of oxygen and inability to rest when you can't breathe in (bronchitis) or out (asthma).

For sure. They said my lung capacity was pretty low - around 70 percent of normal, they think most of that is from the chronic inflammation, and are hoping it will get better. But I do have asthma that I'll likely have to be on meds for forever.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-14-2014, 10:01 PM
For sure. They said my lung capacity was pretty low - around 70 percent of normal, they think most of that is from the chronic inflammation, and are hoping it will get better. But I do have asthma that I'll likely have to be on meds for forever.

Mine is triggered by allergies, so I only have problems when I get around specific things I'm allergic to. Like long haired dogs and honeysuckle.

WalshFan88
09-14-2014, 10:24 PM
Mine is triggered by allergies, so I only have problems when I get around specific things I'm allergic to. Like long haired dogs and honeysuckle.

I definitely have allergies, although mine are more outdoor and seasonal. Pollen definitely gives me trouble. I've always had to use Claritin anytime the windows are open in the house. God forbid if someone mows the yard and leaves the windows open...

bluefeather
09-15-2014, 04:51 PM
Happy birthday Austin and I hope your lungs aren't giving you too much trouble:)

Brooke
09-16-2014, 10:01 AM
Austin, sorry to hear you have allergies and asthma. My son has had them both since about a year old. He pretty much grew out of them, but still has flareups during pollen seasons. They are not fun and asthma can be very scary! I hope you get some meds that really work for you.

ETA: I'm so thankful I don't really have any allergies, especially when he comes around and is having an attack. I hate having a stuffy nose!

Glennsallnighter
09-16-2014, 06:30 PM
I used to get Hay Fever but its pretty much gone now, funnily enough since I had my 1st child over 13 years ago. My son gets Hay Fever a bit in the spring.

I arrived home safely (and an hour ahead of schedule) on Monday morning and went straight into work. However I called into my parents on the way home to hear that an aunt of mine is seriously ill, and it probable she will not recover. I will probably have to take my parents to England in the next few weeks as they are too elderly to travel on their own. Please pray for my aunt that she is comfortable and free of pain.

sodascouts
09-16-2014, 08:00 PM
I will pray for her. So sorry to hear it!

VAisForEagleLovers
09-16-2014, 08:14 PM
Will do, GA.

Houston Baby
09-16-2014, 09:47 PM
She and your family are in my prayers GA.

Brooke
09-17-2014, 10:11 AM
Ga, glad you made it home all safe and sound! And straight to work! You go, girl!

Sorry to hear about your aunt and will keep her and your family in my prayers.

bluefeather
09-17-2014, 11:42 AM
I'm sending healing vibes to your aunt Ga, I hope you're coping yourself

SallyGee
09-17-2014, 07:30 PM
So sorry about your aunt GA. Sending prayers for you and your family.

DJ
09-18-2014, 05:11 PM
Well haven't been on the Border for awhile, lots going on in my life. Last week I broke a tooth and it had to be pulled, still hurts. Last week I also went to ER because my left knee and calf have been swelling for about 3 weeks so I thought well better get it checked make sure not blood clot or something. No thank goodness, but went to knee Dr yesterday and I tore the knee! How who knows, I am not an athletic person! So tomorrow more MRI's and then back to Dr in Oct, probably surgery. I had a ACL repair on same knee in 2008. So life in my house sucks right now. But... I'm healthy otherwise have a great family and love life!

bluefeather
09-18-2014, 05:21 PM
good to hear from you DJ, sorry about your health troubles but it's a lot easier to cope when you have a great family to love right so lucky you:-)

Brooke
09-19-2014, 09:37 AM
DJ, ouch! I'm sorry to hear about your health issues too. I hope your knee mends quickly, whatever you have to have done.

It's funny how we take feeling good for granted, but sure know when we don't! :lol:

Tiffanny Twisted
09-19-2014, 09:48 PM
Feel better dj

WalshFan88
09-20-2014, 01:01 AM
GA - Prayers sent.

DJ - Feel better soon! :)

bluefeather
09-20-2014, 05:19 PM
I just moved out of my apartment which was kind of sad but I've got a new life in an other city now and I'm enjoying it so it's a natural change. I had a bad Friday though because I messed up with my school schedule and on the top of that I got to my friends' house after school relieved that the day was over and learned my grandpa had just passed away. So I was sad and moody for awhile but it's better now though today was exhausting what with all to packing and carrying my stuff out of the apartment. I had a good day all in all because moving went well and I'm not too sad about my grandpa as we've been waiting for it to happen for quite some time now and it was a really good that he finally got to lay to rest from his suffering. Still when I think about it it's sad for my dad and grandma who was with him like over 50 years and also I'm not used to people dear to me dying so it touches me differently.

DJ
09-20-2014, 05:53 PM
I just moved out of my apartment which was kind of sad but I've got a new life in an other city now and I'm enjoying it so it's a natural change. I had a bad Friday though because I messed up with my school schedule and on the top of that I got to my friends' house after school relieved that the day was over and learned my grandpa had just passed away. So I was sad and moody for awhile but it's better now though today was exhausting what with all to packing and carrying my stuff out of the apartment. I had a good day all in all because moving went well and I'm not too sad about my grandpa as we've been waiting for it to happen for quite some time now and it was a really good that he finally got to lay to rest from his suffering. Still when I think about it it's sad for my dad and grandma who was with him like over 50 years and also I'm not used to people dear to me dying so it touches me differently.

So sorry for your loss! My Prayers are with you. I can feel you on the moving stuff. I just had to move all my Mom's house and go through 40+ years of stuff, exhausting. This is why when I bought my house in 1996 I said I am Never moving. LOL

Houston Baby
09-20-2014, 06:31 PM
I am so sorry for your loss BF.
Hope you enjoy your new place.

Tiffanny Twisted
09-20-2014, 08:57 PM
Blue feather prayers of peace to you

sodascouts
09-20-2014, 09:22 PM
I'm very sorry to hear of your loss, BF. You and your family are in my prayers.

Roey
09-20-2014, 09:51 PM
Bluefeather...I am very sorry for your loss and will remeber you and your family in my prayers....

WalshFan88
09-20-2014, 10:04 PM
BF - So sorry to hear this.

Glennsallnighter
09-21-2014, 05:29 AM
BF, I'm so sorry for your loss. Prayers for you and your family. And I hope your new place works out well for you.

And sadly, thanks for all your prayers for my aunt. She passed away peacefully yesterday morning. I imagine her funeral will be at the weekend or early next week. Any Borderers in Southampton?

SallyGee
09-21-2014, 09:20 AM
BF and GA so sorry for your losses. I will keep you and your families in my prayers.

Houston Baby
09-21-2014, 01:10 PM
GA - so sorry for your loss. I will keep your aunt's family and yours in my prayers.

bluefeather
09-21-2014, 04:36 PM
thanks for your prayers

Topkat
09-22-2014, 11:26 AM
GA & BF I'm very sorry for your losses. Sorry to hear about them.
I haven't been in here in a long time, so belated Happy Birthday Austin & hope you are also feeling better!!

Just celebrated 1 year anniversary with Jason, by seeing the Eagles twice at the Garden & we recreated our very first date at Fridays!:inlove: LOL
Wish you all well

Brooke
09-22-2014, 03:40 PM
Bf and Ga, I'm so sorry to hear of your losses. Thoughts and prayers go out to you.

Tk, that's great! :cheers:

prayfordaylight
09-23-2014, 08:50 AM
My condolences to BF and GA.

Happy anniversary TK

Houston Baby
09-23-2014, 10:16 AM
Happy Anniversary TK & Jason!

It was great meeting y'all in NYC! Jason seems like a really good guy.

secret squirrel
09-23-2014, 11:23 AM
So - after 4 years without a holiday, BB & I are coming to the US, to Nashville, TE & hopefully drop by a couple of other states while we're there.

Any must-see things we should do while there?

Probably will do Smoky Mountains and Graceland and going to a couple of gigs.

Excited!

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2014/08/kick-em-when-theyre-up-backlash.html

bluefeather
09-23-2014, 12:12 PM
happy anniversary Tk

Houston Baby
09-23-2014, 01:49 PM
SS - if you are going to Memphis TN to see Graceland, I highly recommend also taking the Sun Studios tour which is around the downtown area. Soda, Dreamer and I took that tour last year and it was very informative and great fun. You can stand in the same spot that Elvis stood when he recorded there.

Also there is a wonderful bar-b-que restaurant in Memphis called Corky's - LOVE it!

WalshFan88
09-23-2014, 06:22 PM
TK - Congrats.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-23-2014, 07:17 PM
BF and GA, sorry to hear of your losses. You are both in my prayers. BF, good luck with the move!

TK, congrats on the one year anniversary!

SS, even though I've lived less than two hours from Nashville, I've never been there. I keep thinking I'll go there for a day or weekend, but I never do. This weekend I'm considering going to Cincinnati on Saturday to see my Pirates play, but I'll see how the rest of the week pans out.

bluefeather
09-24-2014, 12:42 PM
oh boy what a day! I've been moving and organising my stuff since noon and I'm also worrying about my first internship because I haven't been able to reach my supervisor. Fortunately I'm pretty much settled now and the shared apartment seems nice enough. I still have an exam to study to so no free evening for me."sigh"

Houston Baby
09-24-2014, 09:02 PM
Study hard BF! And good luck on your exam.

secret squirrel
09-25-2014, 02:57 PM
SS, even though I've lived less than two hours from Nashville, I've never been there. I keep thinking I'll go there for a day or weekend, but I never do. This weekend I'm considering going to Cincinnati on Saturday to see my Pirates play, but I'll see how the rest of the week pans out.

Seriously!? I suppose when it's close you don't do stuff - always another day. Well, we're there 3 days at the start of our holiday. Going to Louisville too and from there plans are up in the air.

So - are you in Tennessee? Anything you recommend there?

SS
xx

secret squirrel
09-25-2014, 02:59 PM
SS - if you are going to Memphis TN to see Graceland, I highly recommend also taking the Sun Studios tour which is around the downtown area. Soda, Dreamer and I took that tour last year and it was very informative and great fun. You can stand in the same spot that Elvis stood when he recorded there.

Also there is a wonderful bar-b-que restaurant in Memphis called Corky's - LOVE it!

Thanks, HB. I used to be a big Elvis fan when I was younger so sounds like a plan.

Might not do everything on offer at Graceland as it all adds up but definitely some of it.

SS
xx

Houston Baby
09-25-2014, 03:29 PM
Dreamer and I just did the basic tour of Graceland and that tour included the home and grounds including the burial sites and the museum which displays his clothes, records and memorabilia. That was plenty enough to see. I think we were there over 3 hours. I like that the tour is at your own pace and they will let you take as many photos as you want. We did not do the plane or car museum.

If you are or were an Elvis fan you will enjoy it.

VAisForEagleLovers
09-25-2014, 05:25 PM
Seriously!? I suppose when it's close you don't do stuff - always another day. Well, we're there 3 days at the start of our holiday. Going to Louisville too and from there plans are up in the air.

So - are you in Tennessee? Anything you recommend there?

SS
xx

Actually, I'm just south of Louisville! For Louisville, if you're interested in such things, there's the Louisville Slugger museum and factory tour. If you're there on the weekend and young enough to appreciate it, there's 4th Street Live on Friday and Saturday nights, a lot of restaurants and bars and outside entertainment. Of course, there's the Churchill Downs (Kentucky Derby) museum. Lastly, since Kentucky is the bourbon capital of the world, you need to do the bourbon trail. There's the urban bourbon trail in Louisville, and the real distilleries like Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc.

sodascouts
09-25-2014, 06:58 PM
I lived in Memphis for three years and am still in the area. You should be aware that it's a four hour drive from Nashville to Memphis, so if you're going to visit Memphis, make it a day trip. HB has already given you the low-down, I see, on the best places to go!

Houston Baby
09-26-2014, 06:52 PM
Our operations center is having our annual silent auction to raise $ for our Christmas party. So this year I am putting together an EAGLES theme basket. So far it contains a bottle of Peaceful Easy Feeling wine, 2 individual serving bottles of Pink Champagne, 2 Eagles coasters, Felder's Heaven and Hell book and The Very Best of Eagles cd. What food item (s) should I put with it? Any EAGLES related food items that y'all can think of for it?

This is the write up for it..........

Had a bad week at work, too much "Life in the Fast Lane"? "Get Over It"! And if you can't "Take It to the Limit" on your credit card and check into "Hotel California" then "Take it Easy" this weekend with the EAGLES. By Monday you will feel like the "New Kid in Town" with that "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

The auction is in a couple of weeks. So any ideas are appreciated.

WalshFan88
09-26-2014, 08:26 PM
Very cool HB....I remember a while back we had a thread on Eagles-themed food like Heartache Tonight chili and such....not real creative with food (I'm better at eating it than making it :D) so I'm gonna leave that one to someone else.

Houston Baby
09-26-2014, 10:42 PM
Thanks Austin & thank you for reminding me about the thread. I'm going to look for it. :thumbsup:

Glennsallnighter
09-27-2014, 07:05 PM
Our operations center is having our annual silent auction to raise $ for our Christmas party. So this year I am putting together an EAGLES theme basket. So far it contains a bottle of Peaceful Easy Feeling wine, 2 individual serving bottles of Pink Champagne, 2 Eagles coasters, Felder's Heaven and Hell book and The Very Best of Eagles cd. What food item (s) should I put with it? Any EAGLES related food items that y'all can think of for it?

This is the write up for it..........

Had a bad week at work, too much "Life in the Fast Lane"? "Get Over It"! And if you can't "Take It to the Limit" on your credit card and check into "Hotel California" then "Take it Easy" this weekend with the EAGLES. By Monday you will feel like the "New Kid in Town" with that "Peaceful Easy Feeling".

The auction is in a couple of weeks. So any ideas are appreciated.

What about is there any food that any of the guys has said they particularly enjoy?
Can I bid for the basket?

Tiffanny Twisted
09-27-2014, 07:44 PM
Very cool HB....I remember a while back we had a thread on Eagles-themed food like Heartache Tonight chili and such....not real creative with food (I'm better at eating it than making it :D) so I'm gonna leave that one to someone else.

I think it was a don henley recipe for chilli in a book I think
Hb. I love it
Wish I voukd bid too lol

Houston Baby
09-27-2014, 08:30 PM
Thanks! When y'all mentioned chili I remembered that Don H. recommended Wick Fowlers 2 alarm chili. I am going to look for that. I may just put some munchies in it like popcorn, pretzels and peanuts unless y'all come up with some more ideas. I do wish I could think of some snacks/foods that the guys like. Start thinking everyone!

Sorry GA & TT - only bids from our employees. ;-)

secret squirrel
09-28-2014, 01:01 PM
Actually, I'm just south of Louisville! For Louisville, if you're interested in such things, there's the Louisville Slugger museum and factory tour. If you're there on the weekend and young enough to appreciate it, there's 4th Street Live on Friday and Saturday nights, a lot of restaurants and bars and outside entertainment. Of course, there's the Churchill Downs (Kentucky Derby) museum. Lastly, since Kentucky is the bourbon capital of the world, you need to do the bourbon trail. There's the urban bourbon trail in Louisville, and the real distilleries like Jim Beam, Makers Mark, etc.

Thanks, VA. Never had bourbon. Is it like whisky? Plan to go to a gig in Louisville the night we arrive. Friend tells us there's a steampaddle anniversary too. Do you know what the temperature'll be like in October? Will it be cold at night?

SS
xx

VAisForEagleLovers
09-28-2014, 03:27 PM
I think depends on what you think 'cold' is! I've only lived here for a little over a year, but I do think it will be a lot cooler than last October. I would expect it to go to the 50's (Fahrenheit) at night time, perhaps colder if you stay out late enough.

secret squirrel
09-29-2014, 10:07 AM
I think depends on what you think 'cold' is! I've only lived here for a little over a year, but I do think it will be a lot cooler than last October. I would expect it to go to the 50's (Fahrenheit) at night time, perhaps colder if you stay out late enough.

Good to know. But 70s during the day, do you think?

SS
xx

VAisForEagleLovers
09-29-2014, 05:23 PM
Good to know. But 70s during the day, do you think?

SS
xx

Not sure when in October you'll be here. It's in the 80's today, and I would expect at least low 80's for another week or so before topping out in the 70's the rest of the month. Here is a good link that goes a week out, just type in the name of the city and state that you want. www.noaa.gov. It's the National Weather Service.

Brooke
09-29-2014, 07:37 PM
HB, cute idea! The chili would be great in it. As far as anything else, I don't have a clue though!

ETA: I was off today cleaning my mother's old apartment. Ugh! We got her moved yesterday. Double ugh! She's taking it pretty good and I'm ready to go back to work so I can rest!

secret squirrel
10-01-2014, 12:16 PM
Not sure when in October you'll be here. It's in the 80's today, and I would expect at least low 80's for another week or so before topping out in the 70's the rest of the month. Here is a good link that goes a week out, just type in the name of the city and state that you want. www.noaa.gov (http://www.noaa.gov). It's the National Weather Service.

Thanks, VA! Will check it out.

SS
xx