PDA

View Full Version : What's Happening In Your Life?

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 11 12 13

Tiffanny Twisted
02-03-2015, 10:58 PM
Can't they do
An iv sntibiotic
Get better soon va

VAisForEagleLovers
02-03-2015, 11:29 PM
Can't they do
An iv sntibiotic
Get better soon va

I would never let them stick a needle in me and leave it there unless it was an absolute emergency!! Though it sounds like I'm going to have to get over this needle phobia enough to get pneumonia shots from now on.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-05-2015, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a plan . Guess it doesn't bother me .....I have to have blood drawn weekly.
Sometimes it just is what it is
Get better soon va
Thinking of u

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 11:09 AM
Another day off work. This is not fun! I've been thinking back to the last time I had pneumonia, in 2004. I had it for several days before I went to the doctor, which was on a Thursday. I flew to NYC the next Monday for a business trip. The pesky client insisted I had to be there to help them with something, I forget what. My boss insisted I was too sick to go, but they threatened to pull funding if I wasn't there. So I offered to go. At least that time I had a voice even if it was raspy, but I coughed constantly.

I got to the client's office around 9:30am and coughed my way to 2pm and the lead client person came to my desk and said, "You have quite the cough." I said, "I have pneumonia, so yes." She said she had no idea I was so sick, and I asked if my boss mentioned it. He did, of course, turns out, they hadn't believed him! They had thought he just wanted me on a different project! So this lady graciously offered to let me go back home. I informed her I was far too weak to return to DC, and wasn't up to that travel again for a few days. I told her that I couldn't work in the hotel room, either, so I would be coming into the office for the next few days. She wasn't happy and I'm pretty sure I coughed as much as possible while there.

Now, maybe because I'm 11 years older, I can't imagine flying anywhere!

WalshFan88
02-05-2015, 02:07 PM
VA - Get well soon!!!!

---

Don't know if you guys remembered but two or so years ago I had eye surgery. Well I'm having the same procedure on the 22nd (Feb) but on the opposite eye. Should be fun. :hilarious:

Brooke
02-05-2015, 02:21 PM
Oh no, Austin! I hope it all goes well for you!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-05-2015, 03:09 PM
Yes, Austin, many prayers! Let us know how it goes!

Freypower
02-05-2015, 05:37 PM
I send you both my best wishes.:-(

sodascouts
02-06-2015, 12:32 AM
Good luck Austin!

And VA - get well soon!

bluefeather
02-06-2015, 12:42 PM
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for you Austin, all the best

WalshFan88
02-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Thanks everyone!

DJ
02-09-2015, 12:38 AM
Austin- Good luck with the eye surgery.
VA- I sure hope you are better soon!

Not a whole lot happening in my house. I've been on a new medication for my arthritis and it made my stomach hurt terribly. So last week I went to the injectable form of the drug, much better on the stomach. I was a little needle shy also, so I know how you feel VA. It took me 5 minutes to stick myself! My daughter called me a baby. Huh! But on the good side, it didn't hurt at all. You forget those little needles are sharp. The medication really helps so I hope I can take it without horrible side effects. It's a cancer drug so kinda scary. Our weather is spring like, so that's a plus in Feb. :)

Brooke
02-09-2015, 05:08 PM
DJ, hope that works better for you!

Busy time for me. Work, home, everywhere!

sodascouts
02-09-2015, 09:00 PM
Glad you're getting a new way to get your meds and I hope you get relief, DJ!

WalshFan88
02-10-2015, 06:53 PM
DJ - I really hope that works for you!

Brooke - Hope things calm down soon!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-10-2015, 08:21 PM
DJ, hope the new meds work!

Brooke, just take a deep breath and Take It Easy!

I went back to work yesterday, at my company's office that's only a block from my apartment. I coughed all day long and annoyed everyone. Today I went to the customer site and it wasn't too bad. Not a lot of coughing, but all day long people seemed to enjoy the fact they could say what they wanted and I couldn't respond. I'll remember this when I get my voice back!! I can't believe I've gone eleven days without speaking, only whispering.

Brooke
02-11-2015, 10:44 AM
VA, you poor thing! Hope you are back to normal soon!

My little buddy is down again with an echo virus. I had never heard of it before. He has a bumpy rash on his face, neck, and abdomen. He could have fever, but thankfully he hasn't. And it could be serious if there were complications, but all is well so far. I took off work yesterday morning to keep him and will again tomorrow. Between his mommy and daddy and me, we are keeping him home away from daycare. I try to help out as much as I can so they don't have to miss work. I have paid days off and they don't. Bad thing is, he got it at daycare. One of the other kids had it there last week. Ugh!

sodascouts
02-11-2015, 05:08 PM
Aw, I hope he gets well soon!

My poor mother has been suffering with shingles on her face for almost two weeks now. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers, please!

Brooke
02-11-2015, 05:30 PM
Aw, I hope he gets well soon!

My poor mother has been suffering with shingles on her face for almost two weeks now. Keep her in your thoughts and prayers, please!

Oh my, your poor mother! My husband had them on his thighs and said it was one of the worst things ever. Prayers for her!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-11-2015, 05:52 PM
For me, this laryngitis gives the people at work an easy thing to pick on me about. Lots of comments about how quiet the meetings are, and if people don't agree with something to speak up, and stuff like that. I have no idea why the people in my life like to pick on me!! I'm such a sweet person.... :lie:

Brooke, I hope he gets better soon!!

Soda, your poor mother!! I keep saying I'm going to get the shingles vaccination but I never do. I will keep her in my prayers.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-11-2015, 11:35 PM
Va get well soon
Nancy prayers to your mo,ma
Brooke sorry about the baby
Its funny one of the gals at work her bsby got really sick last week and she commented that its cause of day care
Oh welll

Brooke
02-12-2015, 09:07 AM
Honestly, anyone over 50 needs to get the shingles vaccine. Listen to those commercials on tv about it, they are true. Shingles are awful.

Glennsallnighter
02-12-2015, 07:05 PM
Soda I hope your Mom is better soon, and Brooke, I hope that your grandson is too! I can't believe your son and d-i-l don't get paid leave to look after a sick kiddie. I was always able to do that and take sick leave too. I never need to now that they are older but it was sure handy when they were younger.

I have never heard of a vaccine for shingles. is it effective. Do you need it if you have had chicken pox as a kid? I know the two are related.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-12-2015, 07:08 PM
My voice came back, sort of, for a little while this afternoon!! Now, a co-worker has decided to call me Squeak.

Brooke
02-13-2015, 11:23 AM
Soda I hope your Mom is better soon, and Brooke, I hope that your grandson is too! I can't believe your son and d-i-l don't get paid leave to look after a sick kiddie. I was always able to do that and take sick leave too. I never need to now that they are older but it was sure handy when they were younger.

I have never heard of a vaccine for shingles. is it effective. Do you need it if you have had chicken pox as a kid? I know the two are related.

I know, GA. Lots of work places do have paid leave. My mom babysat for me when my kids were little, so she was even available when they were sick most of the time. D-i-l has used up her paid leave this year and son is self employed along with his part time job at UPS.

You definitely need to get the vaccine for shingles if you had chicken pox. That's where they come from.

From the Mayo Clinic:

To develop shingles, you have to catch chickenpox first, which typically happens in childhood. When you get over chickenpox, the varicella-zoster virus stays in your body, but remains dormant, often for many years and possibly for life. As you age, though, there's an increasing risk that the virus will reactivate, resulting in shingles.

You can read more here:

http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/shingles/basics/definition/con-20019574

Brooke
02-13-2015, 11:24 AM
My voice came back, sort of, for a little while this afternoon!! Now, a co-worker has decided to call me Squeak.

Glad you're better, VA.

EaglesKiwi
02-14-2015, 12:15 AM
Just a quick note to say hi & that I've been thinking about you all.

Last year was a bit of a roller coaster with losing my job, but I've just had confirmation that I have passed "probation" in my new job at the University (which I am loving!).

This time next week I will be in Melbourne ready to see the boys!:partytime:

Glennsallnighter
02-14-2015, 04:39 AM
Welcome back EK! How exciting it will be for you to see the guys in Melbourne. Looking forward to hearing all about it!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-14-2015, 09:48 AM
Glad to hear that things are straightening out for you, EK!

Have fun in Melbourne and let us know how it goes!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-14-2015, 09:52 AM
Poblem with the shot for shingles is that the insurance company won't cover it till over age. 60 . It cost aprx 350.00 which is a lot of money for a lot of people.
In our office I have seen patients with it at 22 and when it effects your eyes you can lose your vision
Bad situation

tjh532
02-14-2015, 03:40 PM
Poblem with the shot for shingles is that the insurance company won't cover it till over age. 60 . It cost aprx 350.00 which is a lot of money for a lot of people.
In our office I have seen patients with it at 22 and when it effects your eyes you can lose your vision
Bad situation

A question about shingles - are you more likely to get it if you had the chicken pox as an adult? I got it when my kids were little ( I was 29) and it was severe. I do not want to get shingles! I wonder if my insurance would cover it before I turn 50 if I'm at higher risk.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-15-2015, 09:56 AM
You have to ask your primeary doctor and your insurance company.
Sometimes your dr
Can put in an exemption for you on your behalf to your insurance company but bottom line is they don't want to pay for it . They claim its most effective for people who are over age 60

Brooke
02-16-2015, 11:23 AM
My insurance covered my shot and I was 58 at the time. But I'm sure all are different. They probably won't cover before 50.

I don't think it would matter as to when you had chickenpox.

I have a day off today! :yay: But , now we think my grandson has chickenpox! He has some spots that have a small blister that appeared yesterday. I'm going to the dr with him and his mommy later to check it out. Good grief, poor baby! Last week the echo virus and now this! At least he
feels good, so far!

Btw, enjoy your Presidents Day all you Americans!

DJ
02-16-2015, 12:10 PM
TT- My 20 yr old niece had them at christmas time and she did have chicken pox. I am amazed how young people are getting them. I've had them nasty nasty virus!

sodascouts
02-16-2015, 03:44 PM
My mother DID get the shot, but it didn't work for her! She's apparently in the minority in that regard, poor thing. She is doing a bit better but still in a lot of pain. :( As for chicken pox - She got the chicken pox in the early 1950s! I got it in the 1980s... hope I don't have this to look forward to!

Thanks for your concern and prayers, everyone!

Brooke
02-16-2015, 05:41 PM
Back from the Dr and Cutter does have a mild case of the chicken pox. He had the vaccine a little over two weeks ago and is in the 3-5% of children that then have them after receiving it. He has no other symptoms such as fever, cough, and itching, but it is still contagious and can't go to daycare until all the bumps are scabbed over. Poor baby! Looks like I will be taking the rest of the week off to babysit. I'm glad I can help and have paid time I can take, but not really the way I would like to spend my vacation time! Oh well, as they say, roll with the punches!

ETA: Soda, I guess all vaccines don't always work. There's always that small chance. More prayers for your mom.

Tiffanny Twisted
02-17-2015, 07:31 AM
Prayers for all who are in need

Well we are on a two hour delay we got more snow.

I'm so over this already.
Everyone is a seven dwatf and it ain't " happy":-x

WalshFan88
02-18-2015, 09:52 PM
Wow, I've missed a lot!

VA - get well soon!

Brooke - hope your grandbaby gets better soon.

Soda - so sorry to hear about your mother, my mom had shingles and it was awful.

EK - welcome back and congrats!

-----

Everything is going good here. Went to my preop appointment on Monday and everything is set for next Thursday (26th).

sodascouts
02-18-2015, 10:41 PM
Good luck, Austin!

VAisForEagleLovers
02-18-2015, 10:49 PM
Yes, good luck!! Check in as soon as you can and let us know how it goes!

bluefeather
02-19-2015, 03:48 PM
My best wishes Austin and do tell us how the op went

I hope Cutter gets better soon Brooke

I feel lucky though because I haven't had even a slight cold since Crhistmas

VAisForEagleLovers
02-19-2015, 06:18 PM
You are lucky, BF!! Knock on wood, I haven't had a cold in years. Sinus infections, bronchitis (last year) and pneumonia this year, but no colds. My medical situation this time around keeps compounding on itself, so while the pneumonia is gone, I am not bacteria free. Any and all prayers would be appreciated.

Brooke
02-19-2015, 09:59 PM
Prayers for you, VA! I'm another lucky one that rarely gets a cold or anything! Knock on wood!

Austin, hope all goes well for you, too!

Thanks for the prayers for Cutter. Luckily he isn't sick at all. Just around 15 - 20 pox and they don't seem to bother him. If you're going to have the chicken pox I recommend this way!

I have decided that I would not be a good stay at home Mom though! Wow, I'd forgotten how busy one year olds are! I have hardly done a thing around the house other than a bit of laundry when he is here! I thought I had the house Cutter-proofed, but he seems to find things that he shouldn't bother in every room. Today he figured out he could push a three gallon crock around on the kitchen floor and then decided to get in it! One foot in and he nearly fell over trying to get the other foot in! Luckily I was watching and caught him! I love having him.....part time! I told my son I was going to need a vacation after this! I'm ready to go back to work! :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
02-19-2015, 10:13 PM
I'm glad you're having fun with him, Brooke! I hope the chicken pox is bad enough that he gets the immunity to it.

sodascouts
02-19-2015, 10:26 PM
Caring for a toddler seems like a full-time job in itself!

Brooke
02-20-2015, 09:01 AM
I'm glad you're having fun with him, Brooke! I hope the chicken pox is bad enough that he gets the immunity to it.

Dr. said between that and the vaccine he should especially be immune! :roll:

I certainly hope so!

bluefeather
02-22-2015, 10:31 AM
fingers crossed Brooke

VAisForEagleLovers
02-22-2015, 05:33 PM
Hey, all, just requesting your thoughts and prayers. I have a small surgical procedure scheduled for tomorrow afternoon that I am not looking forward to. Thanks!

Brooke
02-22-2015, 05:45 PM
Will keep you in my thoughts and prayers, VA. Even the smallest of things can be quite worrisome.

Had a fairly quiet and restful weekend after 4 days with my favorite toddler! He was back with his parents for lunch after church today and it was good to see him again! I've grown quite attached to the little go-getter! I think he will be glad to get back to daycare tomorrow and see all his little partners in crime! :lol:

ETA: Tiffany Twisted (Marcelle?) I've often wondered about your little Lucas. Is he doing ok these days?

WalshFan88
02-22-2015, 07:22 PM
VA - Best of luck and prayers sent! Here's hoping it goes smoothly.

Glennsallnighter
02-22-2015, 08:40 PM
VA! Hope things go well for you tomorrow. Sending good vibes your way!!

TT, I too have been wondering how little Lucas is!

Brooke, so glad Cutter is better again. Its not nice to see them ill!

Desperada and I were at an Eagles tribute band this evening. We had a great time, these lads were really good. Funny though 'Don' had long black wavy hair (I wanted to ask him what conditioner he uses), and 'Timothy' had virtually NO hair and looked like a bouncer! 'Joe' had a vague resemblance to Don Felder! But the voices were spot on!

sodascouts
02-22-2015, 10:32 PM
Praying for you, VA!

bluefeather
02-23-2015, 06:40 PM
good vibes sent VA

I'm glad Cutter is better Brooke

Tiffanny Twisted
02-24-2015, 07:18 AM
Prayers va

Thanks guys for asking.
Right now he's recovering from an
ear infection.

He's adorable and growing like a weed. He's two years and 4 months.
Tha nks for asking.
Oh yeah and so funny too

Tiffanny Twisted
02-24-2015, 07:19 AM
Hey ga
Sounds like it was fun to see " the bsnd"

Brooke
02-24-2015, 10:26 AM
Prayers va

Thanks guys for asking.
Right now he's recovering from an
ear infection.

He's adorable and growing like a weed. He's two years and 4 months.
Tha nks for asking.
Oh yeah and so funny too

Those ear infections......hate! Glad he's doing well otherwise, TT!

Tiffanny Twisted
02-25-2015, 07:10 AM
Thanks for asking Brooke
He's much better this week.
He really is so funny .
I am blessed he brings much joy

WalshFan88
02-26-2015, 06:37 PM
Some of you might have seen on FB but my surgery was rescheduled for next Thursday as the surgeon has the flu....So next Thursday will be my surgery date.

VAisForEagleLovers
02-26-2015, 06:53 PM
I missed it, Austin, and I was wondering about it.

For myself, the little surgery appointment on Monday turned out pretty well. Thanks for the prayers!

Brooke
02-27-2015, 11:02 AM
VA, glad it went well for you!

Austin, I didn't see that. Sorry you have to wait, but don't want a sick Dr around either!

Glennsallnighter
02-27-2015, 07:36 PM
Glad your surgery went well VA. And good luck next week Austin.

bluefeather
03-01-2015, 01:56 PM
oh good VA:)

Austin, bummer, must be irritating to wait especially if you're stressing about it, but hang in there:thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-02-2015, 04:54 PM
So as one more thing that I'm dealing with, the pneumonia, like any lung issue, has set off the asthma. Not nearly as bad as the allergic reaction last year, but enough to keep me awake at night coughing. I've been using the inhaler, but it's been over two weeks now, and it shouldn't be used long term like that. I finally went to the doctor about it. She prescribed what I should have been taking for this, the generic for Singulair. The insurance company rejected it! They said it needed prior authorization. The pharmacy called me to tell me so that I didn't make the trip for nothing (which was nice of them), and told me that this kind of thing usually takes 72 hours to one week to resolve. I can't wait that long!

I called the insurance company and complained. I told them sick people shouldn't have to deal with this, and I'm having problems breathing, and did they really think it was a good idea to wait a week? I got the lady upset enough she decided to handle it herself. She put me on hold and called my doctor, and did a conference call with the approval department. I was on hold a long time, so she said she'd call me back. She called ten minutes later to tell me it was approved, then put me on hold while she called the pharmacy and told them to fill it right away! She got it approved for a year, but I don't anticipate using it that long. A 30 day supply is $131, so I'm glad I didn't have to pay for it out of pocket.

Brooke
03-03-2015, 10:49 AM
Insurance companies just make me mad, period! Glad you got what you needed, VA!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-03-2015, 02:55 PM
I can't believe what a difference the steroid shot made! Wow! I had a great night last night.

WalshFan88
03-04-2015, 12:52 AM
Glad it went well VA and you are feeling better.

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2015, 08:14 PM
Glad you are feeling better VA! But my oh my, the hoops you guys seem to have to jump through to get any kind of medical care seems crazy. I've seen other situations on FB where people with or without insurance seem to be forking out extortionate sums of money for basic treatment. I'm not saying our health service is perfect by any means but it seems to be a lot 'easier' to be sick if you know what I mean. And if you have insurance theres no quibbling over what you are entitled to. If you're sick its paid for (maybe less a 250 Euro excess per year) whatever the cost.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2015, 08:21 PM
I'm feeling much better! I nearly feel like a new woman!

I know we have quite a few members here who neglect us on the weekends, so I'll put out this reminder now to all our US members. Don't forget to change your clocks Saturday night before going to bed!!! Spring ahead, and I'm hoping 'spring' is the operative word.

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2015, 08:22 PM
So there will only be a 4 hour time difference between us VA? I smell a chat party!!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-05-2015, 08:25 PM
Yes, down to 4 hours! What do we want to chat about?

Glennsallnighter
03-05-2015, 08:28 PM
Video chat perhaps? I'm looking at dates, Saturday 21st could be good for me.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-06-2015, 07:20 AM
Get well soon verna

WalshFan88
03-06-2015, 06:37 PM
Surgery went well! My eye is sore but not too bad. Surgeon said it looked great today at my post op appt. My eyes are straight again!

Thanks for all of the well wishes, prayers, and kind words!

L101
03-06-2015, 07:09 PM
Glad the op went well Austin and here's to a happy, healthy summer :grin:

Glennsallnighter
03-07-2015, 06:29 PM
Glad your eye op went well Austin. Hope the great recovery continues!

VAisForEagleLovers
03-08-2015, 12:30 PM
Austin, so glad the operation went well!! I was thinking about you throughout the day, so thank you for updating via FB as soon as you did.

I found that a cousin is suffering from a lung disease, the same one that his brother died from(Interstitial Lung Disease). He's been moved into a critical care unit near Norfolk, VA, so to me that doesn't sound very good. I'm hoping that going to a place with 'real' medical care will help. His wife is very upset that the doctors didn't figure it out sooner, and of course I couldn't mention that when you choose to live in a place where the nearest tiny hospital is over an hour drive away this is the kind of medical treatment you get. He's 76 or 77, and far too young, in my opinion, to be in this condition. My heart breaks for both of them, and his wife seems to be having a crisis of faith over it. Any and all prayers for both of them would be appreciated.

WalshFan88
03-09-2015, 02:54 AM
VA - Prayers and well wishes for your cousin.

Brooke
03-09-2015, 04:25 PM
Austin, great news and hope you have a quick recovery!

VA, prayers for your cousin.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-09-2015, 10:52 PM
Thanks, everyone! When it rains, it pours...my aunt is back in the hospital, she collapsed at the doctor's office today. Apparently they've had her on Lasix to reduce fluid in her lungs for the pneumonia, and now she's severely dehydrated. She's been staying with my mother the last couple weeks, and no one told Mom that she should drink more due to this drug. Mom feels bad, but I told her, the home health nurses who come every day should have noticed something was wrong or asked questions. Hopefully, the idiot doctor will reduce the dosage or remove it altogether. Annabelle is 89...she doesn't need to have the doctors screwing things up.

The good news is that my SIL had surgery today on her neck and has come through it pretty well.

Brooke
03-10-2015, 09:47 AM
Prayers for all your family, VA!

My life seems to be pretty boring these days. Work, go home, cook, eat, back to meeting at work, home, sleep. Do it all again! :roll:

Oops, ETA: I just got Sirius radio hooked back up in my car yesterday! Got a great offer in the mail of 5 months for $20 and cancel anytime, so I decided to go for it! But, it took them 5 days of back and forth phone calls to get it programmed in to my car! Much surprise when I went home from work yesterday and it came on! And they gave me a $14.00 credit for all the hassle! :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-10-2015, 06:16 PM
Prayers for all your family, VA!

My life seems to be pretty boring these days. Work, go home, cook, eat, back to meeting at work, home, sleep. Do it all again! :roll:

Oops, ETA: I just got Sirius radio hooked back up in my car yesterday! Got a great offer in the mail of 5 months for $20 and cancel anytime, so I decided to go for it! But, it took them 5 days of back and forth phone calls to get it programmed in to my car! Much surprise when I went home from work yesterday and it came on! And they gave me a $14.00 credit for all the hassle! :thumbsup:

I really do like SiriusXM!! I would be happier if I got the hockey and baseball games in my truck, but I have the internet subscription as well, so I play it on my phone and through the Bluetooth to hear while driving. It's getting to be about time for me to send them yet another email asking why they don't have an Eagles channel...

bluefeather
03-11-2015, 05:04 PM
good to hear that your op went well Austin, I hope you're not feeling too sore

well wishes and good vibes sent to the needing

I think what happened to VA's mom is really annoyingly typical in the health care system. One good example of this issue is people who get blood/fat clot in their brain and have a seizure. Then doctors push for treatment that dilutes the clot but quite often cause a brain haemorrage. Thus the patient ends up with an even bigger problem.
It's just sad how difficult it is to find a balance in treatment especially with elderly people who usually have multiple health issues.

WalshFan88
03-11-2015, 11:13 PM
VA - continued thoughts and prayers to your family

Brooke - I love XM radio in the car. I never got it hooked up on my computer cuz I'm too lazy to dig out the account info to get it going! lol.

---

Tomorrow will be one full week post op, I go Friday for my 1 week checkup.

I'm feeling a little better each day and I have a feeling by the weekend I'll be close to back to normal.

Brooke
03-12-2015, 09:25 AM
Austin, sounds like you are doing well! Is your vision clear yet or was that an issue after surgery?

WalshFan88
03-13-2015, 06:37 PM
Austin, sounds like you are doing well! Is your vision clear yet or was that an issue after surgery?

Nope, I'm glad it wasn't! Scary operating on my only good eye.

Today I got a great report, clear to go to Florida next weekend and I go back in one month.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-14-2015, 08:27 AM
Good news, Austin!!! Have fun in Florida!

BTW, Austin, if you ever dig out your SXM information, when you get the internet account going, it means you can get the SXM app and listen to it on your phones and tablets.

DJ
03-14-2015, 11:58 AM
Keep Well Austin!:angel:

VAisForEagleLovers
03-15-2015, 11:34 AM
Dreamer, did you feel the earthquake this morning? I'm guessing no one near where I used to live felt it, since no one posted about it on Facebook. 2.8 is a little one, but still enough to make you wonder if you're imagining things...

VAisForEagleLovers
03-16-2015, 12:49 PM
So...I'm wondering at what point I should worry that I still don't have my voice back to normal, or anything close to normal...

EagleLady
03-16-2015, 01:25 PM
I'd say Start worrying now.

bluefeather
03-16-2015, 02:39 PM
Ouch VA, I'd definitely be worried

WalshFan88
03-16-2015, 10:54 PM
I'd be going to your doctor again and asking for an ENT referral, or even an ER where there are people like ENT's on call if your doctor won't refer you or you want to get in sooner... Personally whenever I have a major medical issue (as in something I'm worried about or in bad shape), I don't bother with local ER's, I go to the closest "big" town (which for me is about 1 and 1/2 hrs away) where there is a medical school and they have their s%#t together and multiple specialists available.

Brooke
03-17-2015, 09:34 AM
It was just beautiful here yesterday! I wandered around in the yard inspecting the flower beds and even washed a few windows on the outside because I didn't want to go inside! And I have discovered that the tulips are coming up and rabbits have already started eating off the leaves! They have also eaten three nice shrubs that were about two feet tall down to the ground! This means WAR! :mad:

Anyway, bring spring back, mother nature! http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/fl16.gif http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/natur014.gif http://www.anchoredbygrace.com/smileys/bugzap.gif

L101
03-21-2015, 03:27 PM
Just really happy !! Ireland won the Rugby 6 nations today :partytime:

SilverAcidRayne
03-21-2015, 03:35 PM
my sister left for new york with her boyfriend. and im sitting here with her daughter and her boyfriend. i have a VERY close eye on him. lmao

sodascouts
03-22-2015, 02:22 PM
Had my first seizure in over a year last night. It's very discouraging because I always maintain this hope that one day they'll just stop forever and when I go for a long time without one, that hope gets stronger... then comes crashing down as they seemingly inevitably recur. I realize I'm lucky they're rare, but still, I'm experiencing a nicely bitten tongue, scratched face, sore muscles, and a bad mood today.

Desperada
03-22-2015, 02:47 PM
Lacken it was a great win, very tense night!!

Soda I am sorry to read your post, and I hope you make a quick recovery and if at work on Monday that you have an easy day.

I am getting over a migraine, so it has to be early to bed.

L101
03-22-2015, 03:29 PM
Desperada - it was a brilliant few games alright !! Hope your migraine goes soon, they are not the nicest thing to have.

Soda- hope you're feeling better now - hopefully you might not get another seizure for a long while and you can enjoy a nice summer and look forward to the boys playing in June/July !!

Brooke - hows it going with the rabbit war ?? :grin:

Glennsallnighter
03-22-2015, 03:30 PM
It was indeed Desperada and Lacken, but we came through in the end. Desperada I hope you are feeling better soon, and Soda too. Sorry to hear about your seizure Soda, and the effects of it. Try to hope that some day your dream of being seizure free will come true. In the meantime DO take care of yourself.

VA, I sometimes find that chest infections/laryngitis tend to linger longer when the weather is colder, and also when I TRY to use my voice before its ready. I'd mention it to my GP but I wouldn't worry unduly yet. You have been quite ill and it takes time to recover fully.

I had a conference in Galway to attend over the last few days. I was very busy and I am tired but it was good to meet other educators and share their perspectives on a few contentious issues in our system. It was also great to get a few walks in on the promenade in Salthill - the sea air does wonders.

Brooke
03-23-2015, 10:59 AM
Brooke - hows it going with the rabbit war ?? :grin:

Hubby's on it! :wink:

Soda, sorry to hear this. Hope you are ok and many prayers for you to never have another one.

VAisForEagleLovers
03-23-2015, 06:38 PM
Soda, I'm sorry to hear you had another one. I can imagine how disheartening it is. Keep your chin up and blame the scratches on Milton.

GA, thanks for the info. What I didn't mention is that I've been having problems on and off with hoarseness for a long time, like since I lived in VA. It's progressively gotten worse, and I did blame it on 'drainage', even though I don't feel any. It got worse over Christmas and January and I figured it was the cold air and the heat being on all the time. Since having the pneumonia when I lost my voice completely, it's been far worse. I took an antihistamine for a week to see if that helped and it did not help at all. So, it's time to get this solved.

One reason my voice is so frustrating...we had some issues with my mother today. She ended up in ER and admitted to the hospital. She was very confused and had no short term memory at all. My sister-in-law happened to call, and my mother did have my aunt staying with her, and Chrissy asked if Annabelle was there and Mom couldn't tell her if she was or not. My sister is at a conference, so we got a hold of her, turns out that Mom was to be at her house. My nephews said she had forgotten to take her medicine to my sister's house. So she needed to return today to get it. She left in pajamas and doesn't remember the trip (it's over an hour). The good news is that her CAT scans came back clear. This happened to her back in 2009, and it eventually cleared up although there are segments of time she doesn't remember.

For me personally, it was very frustrating to be in such a panic initially and not be able to talk on the phone strong enough to be heard. I couldn't talk to the doctors or anything, I had to text my brother so he could ask. So, it's time to get this fixed.

Glennsallnighter
03-24-2015, 01:00 PM
Well in light of what you have said here VA, it certainly puts a different perspective on things. I had thought the hoarseness was just a result of the pneumonia. I hope they get to the root of the problem.

I hope too that your Mom is ok. Her symptoms sound very like what my Dad suffers from.

bluefeather
03-24-2015, 03:04 PM
VA-quite a long time you've had the throat problem, it's worrying and I hope your doctors soon find out the actual cause, meanwhile I hope you're coping well enough and that your mom is alright

Soda-very sorry to hear about your seizure, hopefully the next one is in the distant future or not at all

VAisForEagleLovers
03-24-2015, 03:37 PM
GA - they are running the typical tests to look for evidence of a stroke. Since she has a-fib (arterial fibrillation), and she went without her meds, it's easy to see where a small one would occur. Since she was confused enough to forget her meds to begin with, I'm thinking something happened before that.

For me, my doctor made an appointment with an ENT, but it's not for a few weeks, so we'll see. It looks like I won't be singing my favorite Easter songs on Easter morning unless something really great happens.

Brooke
03-27-2015, 10:22 AM
Feeling pukish today so I took a sick day. And I've felt this way the last three days but I was really needed at work. Not today. Not really sick, just yucky.

I need to feel better and get some stuff done. Daughter is coming home for her birthday tomorrow (actually April 1, but tomorrow works better for her).

I guess I should brag on her a bit. She has quit her kitchen manager job and has started a taco catering business. She was trying to do both but her gourmet tacos have become a hit in her town and she couldn't handle both. It's kinda scary, but she's a smart cookie and it's going really well! We are very proud of her. She's worked very hard.

WalshFan88
03-27-2015, 02:34 PM
Soda - So sorry. My cousin struggled with these for years and had them when she babysat when I was little and was scary to watch. She had the brain mapping surgery done and lucky has had no more as she had been on every med in the book and none helped and was having grand mal's on a too frequent basis.

VA - Glad you are going to an ENT..

Brooke - Feel better soon.

------

Just got home from Florida with a bad sinus infection (that started the week before I left). Got scared about the eye I had surgery on possibly being infected too, went today and got a perfect report so that's good.

However, with my chronic rhinitis and allergies and recurrent sinus infections, I'm going to an ENT in May. My allergist said I have some polyps in my sinuses that could be harboring infection and that need to be looked at if not removed. It seems I'm always getting a sinus infection, I take pills, and it comes right back. And all these antibiotics can't be good for me.\

Other than the nose bug, Florida was fun but a short trip this time. Jason Aldean concert tonight...

Also, Heart last week was EXCELLENT and was my 2nd favorite concert after the Eagles HOTE show. More about that in the concerts thread.

Glennsallnighter
03-27-2015, 02:39 PM
Brooke, I think I read about your daughter's new venture, possibly on FB. It sounds brilliant. I hope it stays successful for her. It must be so exciting for her going out on her own, best of luck to her. And hope you feel well enough to enjoy celebrating her birthday with her too.

VA, continuing to send good vibes across the water to you and your Mom.

Austin, good luck with those sinuses- they sound nasty. Glad you had fun in Florida.

Tiffanny Twisted
03-29-2015, 10:58 AM
Nancy prayers for you.kerp your faith

Verna ...prayers for your momma and for you too

Aystin take care of you

Been really busy at work
Not much free time
We are binge watching sons of anarchy

I usually fall asleep lol

Brooke
03-30-2015, 10:31 AM
Back at work today and feeling much better. Bad bug!

Austin, can't wait to check out your latest concerts! I so wish I could have gone to Heart! Saw a couple of your pics on Fb, but need to go back and look again!

Had a nice birthday celebration Saturday evening with our daughter. 37! Unbelievable! Where does the time go?!

After she headed back home yesterday I was feeling energetic and decided to wash my windows on the inside of the house. This requires taking out the screens and the muntins too. I had already done most of the outsides. Since the screens were out I took them outside and hosed them off. Put them all back in and now am ready to open the windows when it gets in the 70's tomorrow! I think spring will definitely show up this week! :yay:

Topkat
03-30-2015, 11:34 AM
Sorry to hear about everyone's illness. I hope you are all doing better.
I'm just getting over the flu myself. Was knocked out most of last week, but today, I'm back at work, but still not 100%

VAisForEagleLovers
04-01-2015, 09:13 PM
So today I had to go to a conference up in Louisville, and it was a much bigger deal than I'd known. There were people there from all the armed services, not just Army. There were people from the Office of the Secretary of Defense, a good many staff members of several Congressmen, and several staff members from a few Senators. My voice is still crap!! I had to do three break out sessions and for the most part, had to have people repeat everything I said because no one could hear me! This was so frustrating!

Brooke
04-02-2015, 09:17 AM
Very frustrating, VA!

Glad you're better, Tk.

Glennsallnighter
04-02-2015, 06:24 PM
Goodness VA, the sooner you get this voice problem sorted the better. Hope it recovers soon.

TK, glad you are feeling better.

Brooke, sounds like you have a lot of energy, and Happy Birthday to your daughter. I saw a pic of your family on FB, you all look great. You must be incredibly proud of your kids and grandkid.

L101
04-05-2015, 07:13 PM
Finally getting to look at the Border again - my mom had a fall on Wednesday night and after spending 9 hours in A&E (ER), we discovered she had broken a bone in her pelvis so she was admitted to hospital. Recovery time is about 6 weeks bed rest so hopefully she will be discharged after a week as it is an hours round trip every day to visit her !!

Am looking forward to the F1 survivor - just need time to watch the DVD again :grin:

Glennsallnighter
04-06-2015, 04:12 AM
Oh Lacken, I hope your Mom recovers very soon. Prayers for her this Easter. What hospital is she in?

L101
04-06-2015, 05:56 AM
Oh Lacken, I hope your Mom recovers very soon. Prayers for her this Easter. What hospital is she in?

She's in the Midlands Regional hospital in Tullamore. Hopefully she will be out soon. ..she's missing all her favorite soaps :grin:

DivineDon
04-06-2015, 07:53 AM
Sorry to hear about your mum, Lacken. I know all about the A&E and I wouldn't wish it on anyone - been there far too often lately but things are looking up. Had three of my glands removed and discovered my neck muscles are very weak and strained. I'm undergoing intensive physio so I'm hoping to get back on track soon.

Sorry about your voice VA - it's sooo frustrating when things go awry

....also looking forward to F1 Survivor :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-06-2015, 08:37 AM
Sorry to hear about your mother, Lacken! I hope she recovers completely and quickly!

Brooke
04-06-2015, 02:47 PM
Lacken, I'm also sorry to hear about your mother. Poor thing! I hope she heals and recovers quickly.

Not much happening in my neck of the woods. I hosted Easter dinner (lunch) for my side of the family yesterday. There were only 10 of us and no kids at all and it was a nice day. Some of our kids went to the other sides this year, so I missed my little grandson and can't wait to see him this week.

L101
04-06-2015, 06:32 PM
Thanks everyone

DD - hope you start to feel better soon - it sounds like you are going through a lot and the physio can be very intense

VA - hope you are at least getting your voice back now!!

Brooke - it can be nice to be kid free for a while. I'm sure you'll be back to mayhem soon :grin:

Glennsallnighter
04-10-2015, 02:22 PM
Hope your Mums out by now Lacken and back to her soaps! I passes through Athlone (well the bypass) en route to Galway and back this week.

DD hope you are feeling better soon, and that you are both enjoying the sunshine. Who ever heard of getting SUNBURNT in early April! lol!

L101
04-10-2015, 09:38 PM
Hope your Mums out by now Lacken and back to her soaps! I passes through Athlone (well the bypass) en route to Galway and back this week.

DD hope you are feeling better soon, and that you are both enjoying the sunshine. Who ever heard of getting SUNBURNT in early April! lol!

She's still in hospital, hopefully out on Monday! ! We were to be in Galway for Easter but had to cancel it :-(
Hope you had a good time in Galway - you had brilliant weather for it :grin:

DivineDon
04-12-2015, 07:26 AM
Thanks GA and Lacken for your kind wishes. It's definitely been a struggle but hopefully things will kick in soon.

So sorry to hear your mum is still in hospital, Lacken, what a nightmare. It's nearly worse for the visitors than the patient 'cos it's so tiring visiting every evening.

Saw from your photos on FB, GA that you had a great time in Galway. I'm planing a trip there myself soon - great 'arty' place!!!:)

sad-cafe
04-14-2015, 08:19 PM
it was just announced yesterday that they were coming with Foreigner and Tesla. The radio station is running contests every morning and today I won :)

Sorry I have been away, another month of school and I will be back.

Miss you all

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2015, 09:34 PM
Good for you, SC!!! I've always liked Def Leppard!

WalshFan88
04-14-2015, 09:54 PM
Congrats. Love DL!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-14-2015, 10:42 PM
What a day :-x Didn't sleep well last night, then one of those days at work where everyone had a question and everyone wanted something. The ENT doctor I was to see yesterday cancelled my appointment, and I didn't have a spare moment today to call and complain, and my voice is still hoarse. Then, my mother texted me that her car needs major, major repairs and she can't drive it as it won't pass inspection. She doesn't have the money for the repairs or a new car, so I guess I'll be forking over money for that. Fortunately, my sister will take care of actually getting her a new car, I don't have to drive there. Now, just as the Pirates lost their ballgame tonight, I hit 'Submit' on my taxes and paid a major portion of my Eagles Ticket Fund to the IRS.

It's all good, at least I have the $$, my voice is slightly better, and I can catch up on my sleep tonight! As Joe says, life's been good to me so far...

EagleLady
04-14-2015, 11:34 PM
Awwww VA You Poor thing! Hope everything gets better for you.

WalshFan88
04-14-2015, 11:40 PM
Lacken - Well wishes sent to your family.

DD - Get better soon.

VA - Best wishes. Hang in there! Sorry to hear about the cancelled appt. I go to mine in May. I can't wait - I had another sinus infection this week. Something has to be done. I hope they get you in sooner rather than later!

---

Other than the above mentioned sinus troubles things seem solid here at the moment. Lots of appts but nothing I'm not used to. No upcoming travels I'm aware of yet. I'm playing an event in June which is exciting.

Glennsallnighter
04-15-2015, 04:48 AM
Congratulations S-C and well done. I'm sure you wil enjoy DL! I met Joe Elliott over 20 years ago at a charity event here.

thelastresort
04-15-2015, 09:21 AM
Not read this thread in ages! Sorry to hear of your problems Lacken, DD and VA, hope everything turns out alright! And glad to hear things are going relatively well WF.

I mentioned on my birthday thread (thanks once again for that btw, one of the many lovely things about this forum!) that I had a job interview last week. Well, I now have a job for a year out of uni starting this summer. :D

(Oh, and GA, hope you enjoyed Galway. I've been all around the UK and Ireland and Galway remains my favourite city I've been to, amazing place.)

Brooke
04-15-2015, 10:03 AM
Wow, s-c, that's wonderful!

I went to see them a few years ago and they put on a great show! :thumbsup:

Brooke
04-15-2015, 10:20 AM
tlr, congrats on your new job! I hope you like it!

VA, good grief, hang in there! Surely better times are coming!

Austin, glad you are doing well! Are you going to catch the Stones tour? I would like to go to KC, but probably won't!

DivineDon
04-15-2015, 12:23 PM
Thanks Austin and TLR for your kind wishes. I had good news today, all my results were clear, Thank God, so I just need to build up my strength with continuing physio and supplements but as least I have turned a corner. :thumbsup:

Good luck Austin and VA - I hope things clear up for you both soon :)

Brooke
04-15-2015, 01:07 PM
DD, wonderful news for you! Carry on!

L101
04-15-2015, 02:18 PM
DD - that's great news!! Now you'll be fit and well and ready for action when Don finally tours :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-15-2015, 05:47 PM
DD, glad to hear of your good news!

Thanks for the well-wishes, everyone! Found out I have a job interview on Friday afternoon. Not back in VA, but in Louisville. The job sounds great, and it would get me an hour closer to the parents, but it's not Virginia, where I'd really like to be. So I'm of two minds on this, but I'll do the interview and see what comes of it.

Desperada
04-16-2015, 02:16 PM
Congrats S-C, it should be a great show:guitar:

Freypower
04-16-2015, 06:26 PM
I moved the posts about the Def Leppard tickets here.

sad-cafe
04-16-2015, 08:35 PM
That's cool. I wasn't sure where to put it.

I feel it has been ages. Seems like a fast 4 months since I lost my mom. Another month of school and then I can get back to some semblance of free time to post and read more.

DivineDon
04-17-2015, 06:27 AM
DD - that's great news!! Now you'll be fit and well and ready for action when Don finally tours :grin:

I'm getting into training already :wink:

secret squirrel
04-17-2015, 03:58 PM
Not sure where to post this but I was amused that someone got to one of my blogs by Googling:

why do glenn frey hates ted nuggent

Love the idiosyncratic grammar and spelling but impressed that they spelt Glenn's name correctly.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/ (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/shakey-graves-are-you-trick-or-are-you.html)

SilverAcidRayne
04-17-2015, 04:35 PM
Well... I know I'm fairly new and all but I think I'm ready to share a small piece of information. I'm not sure how old the ladies are in here but I'm 39 and facing menopause. it was very shocking and unsettling and it's still kind of hard to adjust but I'm getting on ok. a lot of my friends say that they started earlier than that. so... I'm looking at it as the next chapter. and I'm starting to think that Timothy's voice has healing powers. because I could be having a bad moment and he sings... what bad moment :hilarious:

thought I'd share :)

VAisForEagleLovers
04-18-2015, 12:18 AM
SAR, 39 is rather young for such a thing. It's good that you have friends that can relate, but I think you should see what you doctor has to say about it.

I had my job interview today. I'm not sure what to think. I think both sides walked away from the table with sort of the same views, that is impressed with a lot of things and not in some other areas. I think they want someone with more automated testing experience than I have, however they want someone who can come in and set the entire testing effort up and manage it, and I'm very definitely qualified for that.

On the other hand, I'm not sure how I feel about the job. I like software testing, but I prefer business analysis, and it sounds like there would be little of that.

If they offer the job and I take it, I'll have to move closer to Louisville. There's limited options on the Indiana side of the river and so I'd likely have to find a place on the Louisville side. Which means I'd have to travel across a bridge twice a day. Those of you that know me.... I've gone my entire life making sure I don't have to travel these kinds of bridges on a regular basis. I am such a wimp, I know... :fear:

SilverAcidRayne
04-18-2015, 01:07 AM
those were my thoughts exactly... I saw my doctor and she thinks the same thing. if so it's definitely a rare case for sure. either way I accept it :)

good luck with the job though. it sounds awesome! I totally agree with bridges, I never was fond of them since I was a kid. but at the same time change could be good. it all depends if you are absolutely ready for it lol

MaryCalifornia
04-18-2015, 01:28 AM
Not sure where to post this but I was amused that someone got to one of my blogs by Googling:

why do glenn frey hates ted nuggent

Love the idiosyncratic grammar and spelling but impressed that they spelt Glenn's name correctly.

SS
xx
http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/ (http://sshh-sshh.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/shakey-graves-are-you-trick-or-are-you.html)

OK, this is hilarious! That someone googled that is funny, but the spelling, etc...is what makes it really funny. I keep saying it out loud, and it's the "Nuggent" that gets me. Must have been someone who went to a show, or reads about them on here, but if they were on here, they'd just ask us!!

SAR - sorry to hear about that diagnosis but it sounds like you have a good attitude. Good luck.

Glennsallnighter
04-18-2015, 03:44 PM
DD, great to hear that your recovery has been going so well. I'm delighted for you.

SAR - I agree 39 is young for the menopause, but sounds like your attitude is good. VA is right, listen to what your GP says about it. There are also supplements on the market which can make the transition easier, and there are one or two advantages to it too!

VA, you are clever and analytical and I am sure you will make the right decision. Its good too to be able to see everything in perspective, and know that you have the option of staying put as well.

Well we got the great news at work that we face a 'whole school evaluation' in 3 weeks. In other words a kind of fine tooth comb/audit of the school. its procedures, teaching, learning, management etc. So close to the summer break too its bordering on farcical. As well as having all my own ducks in a row I am on the Board of Management so I will have additional duties in that respect too. Oh well ..... all part of a days work!!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-18-2015, 04:09 PM
Well we got the great news at work that we face a 'whole school evaluation' in 3 weeks. In other words a kind of fine tooth comb/audit of the school. its procedures, teaching, learning, management etc. So close to the summer break too its bordering on farcical. As well as having all my own ducks in a row I am on the Board of Management so I will have additional duties in that respect too. Oh well ..... all part of a days work!!

Ouch!! I'm sure you'll do fine, but it sounds like summer break will be welcome for more than the usual reasons!

Brooke
04-20-2015, 03:17 PM
VA, good luck and I hope your job hunt goes your way, whichever that is! Don't worry about a bridge, they never collapse, do they? :lol: Although they can become congested depending on their location in regard to your commute every day.

NMB, I would think you are too young too, but everyone is different!

Ga, yikes! Hang in there, I'm sure it will go fine!

WalshFan88
04-20-2015, 08:14 PM
GA and VA - Good Luck!

SC - Congrats!

DD - Great news!

DivineDon
04-21-2015, 07:29 AM
Thanks Austin, best of luck to you too :thumbsup:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-22-2015, 01:31 PM
The job didn't come through, they want someone with more automated testing experience. Since I wasn't sure I wanted the job, I suppose it all turned out the way it was supposed to. It just would have been nice to have it be my choice and not theirs!

I finally had my appointment with the ENT today. The good news is that there is nothing obviously wrong. No lumps, nodules, etc. So, it comes down to inflammation and he doesn't know what's causing it. He thinks it's either from asthma, as there is still occasionally a rattle, and he said the inflammation that happened with the pneumonia is probably still there. Or, he said it could be acid reflux driven by the hiatal hernia. So, he extended the meds I'm taking for the reflux and told me to use my inhaler more and wait a few months and see if there's any improvement.

Glenn said on the Dan Patrick show today, to the guy who sang You Belong To The City, that if a person wants to sing they should just sing (or something like that). It depressed me a little because I really miss singing, and to be told this might go on for another few months does not make me happy.

DivineDon
04-23-2015, 09:43 AM
Hi VA, sorry about the job but I hope something better turns up soon.

...Oh, I know all about reflux, let me tell you! I've had it for the last 12 years and I have to be so careful with what I eat despite the medication. I haven't eaten a tomato in years and recently when I was ill with my gland problems, the reflus was even worse, so much so that I found it hard to swallow at times. I had hyperparathyroidism and got 3 glands removed recently plus two thyroid nodules so I was wondering if your problem might be something to do with the parathyroids. They control your whole system but GP's are notoriously reluctant to diagnose them through ignorance, I feel. Anyway, have a look at this webpage, particularly the symptoms page and see what you think. It might not be that but I've had such an awful time this last year, I've become convinced a lot of people suffer from parathyroidism without realising it. Anyway, hope you feel better soon.

www.parathyroid.com (http://www.parathyroid.com)

Brooke
04-23-2015, 10:23 AM
VA, sorry the job didn't come through, but it sounds like you weren't that excited about it anyways. I'm sure something better will come along! And hope your throat problems get remedied soon too!

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 11:12 AM
Hi VA, sorry about the job but I hope something better turns up soon.

...Oh, I know all about reflux, let me tell you! I've had it for the last 12 years and I have to be so careful with what I eat despite the medication. I haven't eaten a tomato in years and recently when I was ill with my gland problems, the reflus was even worse, so much so that I found it hard to swallow at times. I had hyperparathyroidism and got 3 glands removed recently plus two thyroid nodules so I was wondering if your problem might be something to do with the parathyroids. They control your whole system but GP's are notoriously reluctant to diagnose them through ignorance, I feel. Anyway, have a look at this webpage, particularly the symptoms page and see what you think. It might not be that but I've had such an awful time this last year, I've become convinced a lot of people suffer from parathyroidism without realising it. Anyway, hope you feel better soon.

www.parathyroid.com (http://www.parathyroid.com)

Thank you, DD, I've been meaning to ask you about this. I have an underactive thyroid, and the slight hoarseness I had previously was fixed when I took the medication, then it returned when the medication was reduced. More or less. It was only a week or so after the meds were reduced that I got the pneumonia, and since then, my voice has been extremely hoarse. I will look over the website and see what I think!

DivineDon
04-23-2015, 11:41 AM
One other thing I forgot to mention, VA is about going on a gluten-free diet. Now, I know with reflux, it's hard enough to get nice things to eat as it is, but I found reducing as much gluten and caffeine from my diet as I could, reduced the inflammation in my throat big time.

VAisForEagleLovers
04-23-2015, 03:11 PM
Interesting, DD! The doctor didn't mention gluten. He asked about caffeine and I told him I'm very strict with it, and he didn't think it needed to be reduced. He did ask about fried foods, I don't eat much of that. He didn't ask about dairy, just told me to stop eating it. I figure I'll give that a try first. My brother has had issues with reflux and avoiding dairy worked for him so well he wondered if he had a lactose intolerance. In the event such a thing might be in the genes, so to speak, it might be a good starting point.

One thing I have definitely found out, Mexican food is off limits until this is resolved! I've tried all different kinds, salsa verde and regular salsa, etc. I had some at lunch today and my voice is basically non-existent at the moment!

DivineDon
04-24-2015, 05:14 AM
Gosh - I forgot to mention that I haven't used milk, that is, cow's milk for years because it chokes me. I use soya instead and am just so used to it now it never occured to me to mention it. But everything I have researched suggests a direct link to gluten and any thyroid problems - and this is from sufferers themselves, not GPs who don't seem to have a clue. I know that from my own experience cutting it out as much as I could - without being too regimented - definitely helped reduce my throat inflammation which was so bad it felt like my oesophagus was on fire at times and that I had a lump in the back of my throat.

I don't know if any of this will help, VA, but if you want to know any more, don't hesitate to ask. Good luck, I know how horrible it is to feel so awful with no answers.

Oh yeah, there's no way I could eat anything spicey, despite a longing for a good Chinese :sad:

bluefeather
04-24-2015, 09:28 AM
VA-So sorry to hear that you still have throat voice problems, doctors are unbelievably clueless sometimes, I really hope you'll get better soon:hug:
I feel for you because of the job situation as well, I was hoping for a full time summer job as a home nurse but apparently they didn't need me after all:eyebrow:

ss-:hilarious: it's good though that got a new reader

DD-How's your training going?

Koala
04-26-2015, 04:04 AM
I missed so much!

unfortunately, I am not so often here like I would become with plesaure!

I can't read everything Sinne My Last visit here!

So much going on here and in My live!
You are all in My Thoughts and prayers, still!

Short update:
I still work at school, my sister marries in 3 months, till then a few more kilos of the hips have to go with me.:nahnah:
My sister was pregnant, unfortunately she has lost the twins, like us!
Another two narrow friends have died.
However, here otherwise it goes well!

I hope of an Europen Eagles Tour! I have withdrawal symptoms!

Glennsallnighter
04-26-2015, 05:06 PM
Welcome back Koala, great to see you here again .

VA hope you manage to get these voice problems sorted, sorry the job didn't come through

as for gluten free.....

aAfew of us were out one night recently for a meal. One of my friends asked 'what does GF on a menu mean...?'. Before I could reply another friend said 'In her case, Glenn Frey'!!

So now we do not have gluten free menus any more!!

L101
04-26-2015, 05:49 PM
as for gluten free.....

aAfew of us were out one night recently for a meal. One of my friends asked 'what does GF on a menu mean...?'. Before I could reply another friend said 'In her case, Glenn Frey'!!

So now we do not have gluten free menus any more!!

GA - wouldn't you love that - to have your meal served to you by Glenn :partytime: !! Any other thoughts are :censored: :grin:

VAisForEagleLovers
04-26-2015, 07:12 PM
That's what I need! A menu with Glenn on it! All kinds of delicious options...

I've decided I'm going to do what the doctor said, but otherwise, I'm not going to sweat it. It can be very frustrating sometimes, but it is what it is and I have other things to think about. If it's still an issue after a few months, I'll go back, but I'm tired of being upset about it.

WalshFan88
04-26-2015, 07:20 PM
Well I went to an orthopedic surgeon for an appt last week.... I had a hip deformity as a teen in both hips and they are really hurting me. My normal ortho said I need double hip replacements.

So I got a second opinion this week and sure enough, I need bilateral hip replacements and soon. I have bone-on-bone osteoarthritis as a result of that deformity as a teen (Slipped Capital Femoral Epiphysis).

Problem is, they want me in better shape before the 2nd doctor will do it. How the heck am I supposed to be more mobile when I'm in so much pain? I'm on high dose Relafen and am getting cortisone injections next week. I've already had one set and they only helped for a month. Getting those injections was the most painful thing I've been through and I've been through a lot. I dread them. They won't sedate me either. :( My first ortho didn't either.

I go back to my first ortho in July, and I'm hoping he'll do the surgery now than rather than making me wait in pain like the 2nd doctor. But he agrees that I need hip replacements basically. :(

VAisForEagleLovers
04-26-2015, 07:28 PM
Oh, Austin, I'm sorry to hear this. It could be that as far as 'better shape', he's thinking more about the rehab afterwards. If the first guy says the same thing, don't be afraid to ask for a physical therapist or trainer to find ways to exercise that will be less painful. I have a friend who just had a hip replacement, and she said the difference is amazing.

DivineDon
04-27-2015, 08:43 AM
Yeah, Austin, keep on in there, I know it's tough but my friend had two hip replacements and she's in great form now (in case you're wondering, it was the same hip! She discovered she was allergic to whatever metal they used) But anyway, it made a huge difference to her life :thumbsup:

L101
04-27-2015, 11:01 AM
Austin - hang in there for a while longer - just keep thinking of this time next year when you will be mainly pain free and can do anything you want to...:thumbsup:

Brooke
04-27-2015, 02:08 PM
Austin, I'm so sorry to hear this! I hope it all goes well for you and you will be pain free. Bummer!

Koala, welcome back!

bluefeather
04-27-2015, 03:31 PM
Austin-oh that's crap news, at least you'll be better after you're through with it, take care!

Glennsallnighter
05-01-2015, 10:33 AM
I think if it needs to be done it should be Austin. My dad was in a lot of pain 5 years ago and they kept finding reasons to put off his hip replacement op. Basically because it's done on the HSE (free for him) as opposed to insurance. They implied that as he was nearly 85 he 'wouldn't get the value out of it'. Eventually though his doc said 'just do it' and they did. It was like a new lease of life for him. He been completely pain free now for 5 years! I think he got the value!!!

Brooke
05-01-2015, 01:10 PM
Ga, that's wonderful for your dad! Pain free sounds wonderful for anyone!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-01-2015, 06:27 PM
GA, so glad it worked for your dad!!

For me, it's a bit insane around these parts with the Kentucky Derby tomorrow. There were events up in Louisville all week, and apparently the big event for many locals took place this afternoon, a race at the Oaks. There is Derby stuff everywhere, and I've been invited to two Derby parties tomorrow.

One of the local newspapers has an interactive page where you enter your first initial and the day of whatever month you were born. It then tells you what your horse name is. Mine is Cra-cra Cra-cra. Some of you may know that cra cra is urban slang for crazy, so apparently I'm doubly crazy!

For those that want to find out their horse name, here's the link. It doesn't work on older versions of Internet Explorer.

Glenn's is Seriously Paradise
Don's is Running Humor
Joe's is Sparkling Bae
Tim's is Turn up Captain

http://interactives.courier-journal.com/projects/whats-your-derby-horse-name/

MaryCalifornia
05-01-2015, 08:55 PM
Haha mine is Thirsty Melody!! Thanks, VA!

WalshFan88
05-01-2015, 10:07 PM
GA - Great to hear!

VA - Mine is Funny Devil lol...

Tiffanny Twisted
05-03-2015, 10:36 AM
Hey guys hope all is well
Va people who are lactose intolarent most have a glutten sensativity

My doc says I have a true allergy to gluten. A lot of people don't realize that gluten is what makes your food taste yummy so manufacures have added more and more which mskes people sensative.

So do some reasesrch and try cutting it out .its in food under lots of names.
Hubby hates to food shop w me cause ihave to read lables

All. That bing said I'm flatt on my back.doc says virus but 7 days I'm worse and nowhave a fever so bad my teeth are chattering. Back tomorrow to the specialist tomorrow

VAisForEagleLovers
05-03-2015, 11:26 AM
Hey guys hope all is well
Va people who are lactose intolarent most have a glutten sensativity

My doc says I have a true allergy to gluten. A lot of people don't realize that gluten is what makes your food taste yummy so manufacures have added more and more which mskes people sensative.

So do some reasesrch and try cutting it out .its in food under lots of names.
Hubby hates to food shop w me cause ihave to read lables

All. That bing said I'm flatt on my back.doc says virus but 7 days I'm worse and nowhave a fever so bad my teeth are chattering. Back tomorrow to the specialist tomorrow

I have cut down on dairy, fried foods, and spicy foods, and my voice is a lot better. Now, of course, I have no idea which of those three might have been the 'evil' one. I'll keep doing what I'm doing, let the inflammation heal more, then slowly introduce spicy foods and hope that will work.

TT, you sound like you are having some real issues. I hope you get better soon!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-03-2015, 12:21 PM
Thanks va

Its a virus bu niw I have a fever so I have no idea whats up
I can't do spicy
I'm allergic to tomatoes too

I try and stick to protien .
And fruits and veggies .

Use to love teryki sause but at has gluten soy sauce too
So read lables
Feel.better

DivineDon
05-04-2015, 07:20 AM
Thanks va

Its a virus bu niw I have a fever so I have no idea whats up
I can't do spicy
I'm allergic to tomatoes too

I try and stick to protien .
And fruits and veggies .

Use to love teryki sause but at has gluten soy sauce too
So read lables
Feel.better

Sorry to hear you're so sick, TT - I feel for you! I haven't eaten a tomato in 12 years and last week I went for an allergy test just to confirm my suspicions about gluten and it showed up straight away...and you're right, it's so hard to get anything in the shops because almost everything I'd like to eat has gluten in it.

I hope you feel better soon. I know there's a bug going around here which has laid a lot of people up but I don't think it could travel from Ireland across the Atlantic but you never know with these things! :hilarious:

Brooke
05-04-2015, 03:07 PM
Va, mine is Seriously Cra-cra! Is that worse than being double crazy? :hilarious:

TT, get well soon!

Glennsallnighter
05-04-2015, 05:00 PM
TT I hope you are feeling better soon.

I wouldn't be surprised if I had a gluten allergy either; Bread, pastry cake etc has never made me feel well but as I tend to eat a very low carb diet it doesn't really effect me too bad anyway!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-04-2015, 06:08 PM
Va, mine is Seriously Cra-cra! Is that worse than being double crazy? :hilarious:

TT, get well soon!

Good one! I'm not sure if it's better or worse!

I experimented with white pizza last night and basically have no voice today. So...once I get my voice back better, we'll see if it was the dairy or the gluten. I'm thinking dairy, because I've been eating bread all along and the pizza was the first dairy I've had in nearly two weeks.

Glennsallnighter
05-05-2015, 04:14 PM
Good detective work VA. Could be the dairy. Hope you get sorted soon!

DJ
05-07-2015, 07:56 PM
Took my new 11 week old puppy to the vet twice this week. UGH for something he ingested, puppies eat everything! But hopefully he'll be fine.
He also went to a heart specialist last week, luckily heart is OK! They thought they heard a gallop in his heartbeat which is not good and of the eight puppy litter one of his sister's heart was herniated in her chest and she will probably die :sad: But our Sam seems to be doing ok. Special diet of white rice and chicken breast for a few days to calm his tummy. Worse than kids. :)

WalshFan88
05-07-2015, 09:54 PM
DJ - best wishes for your puppy!

Get well everyone.

I went for a set of cortisone injections into my hips earlier in the week, no improvement this time. Definitely looking at summertime hip replacement.

Brooke
05-08-2015, 09:11 AM
DJ, hope your puppy is ok!

Austin, sorry to hear that.

bluefeather
05-08-2015, 11:49 AM
:hilarious: I hope your "baby" isn't in too much trouble, DJ

Oh man, Austin, I'm sorry to hear that

I'm enjoying our spring weather and the fact that school is over in about three weeks, though I'm stressing about my uncertain job situation for the summer months

Houston Baby
05-08-2015, 01:19 PM
I have missed so much these past few months. Work has been absolutely crazy since Christmas!! I am working late every day and on Saturday. I have not worked 60 hours weeks in a long time so this has been a big adjustment. Hopefully the 60 hours weeks will be over by November. I haven't been able to post lately but am trying to keep up with everyone on the Border.

Austin - I hate that you will have to undergo surgery but everyone that I know who has had hip replacement says the difference is amazing. I will keep you in my prayers as well as everyone else facing tough times and health issues.

VA - you need to get your voice straight by Lexington. You know what a gab fest you, HH and I have on our EAGLES adventures. I hope you are doing better now.

TT - get well soon. Love, hugs and prayers are being sent your way!

DJ - hope your furry child is doing better!

BF - move to Houston! We have job openings here at the Loan Center. :)

BTW - It is my Borderversary!!!

2 years on the Border!!
I have met so many wonderful people here. A true joy in my life! :thumbsup:

Brooke
05-08-2015, 01:54 PM
HAPPY BORDERVERSARY, HOUSTON BABY!

We've been missing you lately! I hope your job calms down and you can get back to a more normal life. Those long hours sound awful!

Always enjoy your posts, so I hope you can make it here a bit more often! :soda:

Houston Baby
05-08-2015, 02:23 PM
Thank you Brooke! You're sweet.
What's bad besides not having time to post on The Border is that I have not been able to enjoy my Astros and they are in 1st place! Best start since 1986!
For the time being I am keeping up with my Rockets and their playoff run.

Go ROCKETS!!
Any Clippers fans here?

DJ
05-08-2015, 06:40 PM
DJ - best wishes for your puppy!

Get well everyone.

I went for a set of cortisone injections into my hips earlier in the week, no improvement this time. Definitely looking at summertime hip replacement.

Oh that's too bad Austin. Whatever you do I hope you feel well soon!

DJ
05-08-2015, 06:41 PM
HB HAPPY BORDER ANNIVERSARY :partytime:

DJ
05-08-2015, 06:44 PM
TT I sure hope you are feeling better soon, :worried:

Houston Baby
05-08-2015, 10:13 PM
Thank you DJ! How is your puppy?

UndertheWire
05-09-2015, 08:12 AM
My day started badly with a swollen eyelid but I went to go to my usual yoga class. Unfortunately, I struggled with all the poses, even those I can usually manage and the sunglasses I'd found to hide behind turned the world a sickly yellow. To cheer myself up, I went shoppping for new sunglasses. Then the sun came out, my favourite busker was playing and there was an empty table and chair outside a cafe opposite and the world seemed a lot better.
I've been listening to this guy for nearly thirty years. Funny to think that we were probably both in our twenties when I first heard him.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDqrcWpV9L4

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2015, 09:27 AM
It's good it got better!

I hope my day gets better...found out my sister invited someone for the day that she KNOWS I don't want to be around. It's not like I can just turn around and go home. I'm so mad I'm about to explode. If I had known this I wouldn't have driven 7.5 hours, Mother's Day and dad's birthday or not. Why would she do this? I have a horrible feeling she's invited for dinner, too, which will definitely make my dad explode and completely ruin his birthday.

Houston Baby
05-09-2015, 07:32 PM
UTW - hope your swollen eyelid has gone down. Sounds like you made the best of it though and enjoyed the rest of your day. :thumbsup: I love shopping for sunglasses. If I could afford it, I would have dozens!

VA - hope you are managing to enjoy your visit. I think I would have to ask my sister WHY if she did something like that.

L101
05-09-2015, 09:09 PM
Happy borderversary HB.. hope you have many more happy years on the border! !

UTW - hope your eye gets better soon but at least you got new sunglasses out of it :grin:

VA - I know all about awkward sisters - my sister got a new car yesterday but I wasn't able to go see it until today so she got into a huff and hasn't spoken to me all day because of that. :brickwall:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-09-2015, 10:15 PM
It went better than I thought it would. The other person seemed to guess at how I was feeling and didn't push it with me None of the "Why don't we get together anymore" and "Let's do more things together" that her sisters put me through a year or so ago.

It helped that the weather was totally awesome. A cousin has a private pond and my sister went fishing while we watched, then we went to my dad's and my sister's kids rode quads and dirtbikes while we ate pizza. My brother and sister in law joined us and we had a great visit. We're all sunburnt, and it felt great to be outside the entire day.

I'll post some pictures in the Pictures thread.

WalshFan88
05-10-2015, 08:21 PM
VA - Glad your day went ok.

UTW - Get well soon.

HB - Happy Borderversary! Congrats.

Houston Baby
05-10-2015, 09:34 PM
VA - :thumbsup:

Thank you Austin and Lacken! :)

Brooke
05-11-2015, 02:12 PM
VA, glad you survived your visit regardless!

UtW, hope your eye is better!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-12-2015, 08:30 AM
First happy boarderanniversary deb ......Yipee

Austin ....fell better. Do whatever you can to help yourself be comfy . Prayers

Va sorry about the job but the right fit for you will come along .
Now for your voice issue .
Keep a food journal and mark down what you notice like with the white pizza.
Best ti eliminate one food group at a time..kinda like when they introduce babies to food one food group at a time . Your body will give you the answer.

Now short and sweet . Just discharged from the hospital after 8 days.
I had a virus ,then I got pneunomia
Long road ahead for me

It is what it is

Houston Baby
05-12-2015, 08:46 AM
Thank you TT!

I was so excited to see your post pop up. You have been in my prayers and will continue to be. Hope you have a rapid recovery but it usually takes time to get over pneumonia so "Take It Easy"! Don't rush it! :hug:

Brooke
05-12-2015, 10:05 AM
TT, so sorry to hear you have been sick! Prayers for you and like HB said, take it easy!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Thanks ladies

Doing my best

Glennsallnighter
05-12-2015, 02:49 PM
VA, Delighted your day went better than expected. Pizza and sunburn..... sounds like Summer is on the way.

Lacken, I'm sorry your sister wasn't more understanding.

TT, I'm so sorry to hear you have been ill. I hope you recover your strength soon, take each day at a time. How is little Lucas doing these days?

And HB, belated congrats on your Borderversary. It was wonderful to meet up in NYC last year. I hope we get the chance to do so again

Houston Baby
05-12-2015, 03:18 PM
Thanks GA! That was a fun whirlwind trip & I also hope we do it again! :thumbsup:

bluefeather
05-14-2015, 07:33 AM
TT- ouch! please make sure you get enough rest and NO exercise before you're 100% recovered

Va-i'm glad that you had good visit despite the sister situation, sounds like an idyllic and fun day to me!

UtW-I hope your eye is back to normal, you seem to have had an ok rest of the day though:):thumbsup:

Brooke
05-14-2015, 09:13 AM
Tonight we get to go to my grandson's end of year daycare 'program'! He's supposed to be a lion! We shall see! :lol:

DivineDon
05-14-2015, 11:33 AM
Best wishes to everyone who is sick or just having any problems. Hope you have a good night, Brooke :thumbsup:

WalshFan88
05-17-2015, 08:22 PM
TT and UTW - get well soon!

Brooke
05-18-2015, 09:58 AM
Stay-cation for me this week! Spring cleaning is on the agenda! Whoop whoop!

Hubby and I went to St. Louis for the weekend and caught the Cardinals game Saturday. Rain was in the forcast and as soon as the game started it started to rain! They played a half inning and the tarp came out. Luckily we were sitting just under an overhang and it didn't rain on us! We ended up with a two hour delay, but finally got the game going. It wasn't good. My Cards lost 4-3, but it was fun to go anyway. We stayed the night in town and went down to The Landing for dinner, which is a lot of old buildings turned in to pubs and eateries along a cobblestone street. I suppose they were some of the first buildings from the 1800's. A nice way to start my week off!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-18-2015, 10:10 AM
Glad you had a blast besides the rain

Sorry your cards lost...
But sounds like it was fun anyway

Brooke
05-18-2015, 05:28 PM
Basement family room cleaned, front porch floor stained, windows washed! :yay:

I opted to go outside and work this afternoon as it was in the 70's today. Colder the next two days, so I will work inside then. Fun times, NOT! But ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

Houston Baby
05-18-2015, 09:04 PM
Brooke - I am exhausted just reading your post - LOL! Sounds like you started the week off with fun times. I would love to see St Louis someday. I like old buildings! Have fun the rest of the staycation and if you get finished early with your home, you're invited to H-town to spring clean mine. :)

Brooke
05-20-2015, 09:52 AM
HB, of course! Just don't wait for me long! lol

Yesterday I cleaned the laundry room from floor to ceiling! Vacuumed all the shades in the house and under the bedroom furniture. What I don't understand is it rains all the time these days, where does all the dust come from? I hate it! :-x

Today the main floor bath is my target.....

VAisForEagleLovers
05-20-2015, 07:01 PM
Brooke, I'm sorry you had to experience your team losing... My Buccos seem to have a lot of experience with that so far this year. :( At least the Cards lost to Glenn's favorite team, just think how happy he is and maybe you'll feel better? :hilarious:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 08:07 AM
I had the strangest dream this morning! I don't remember the first part, really, just that I was in a town very similar to the one I live in. I was spending time with a lot of different people, but I never saw faces to know who. I needed to go somewhere, so I got in a vehicle and drove. I didn't go too far before I came up over a hill and down the other side. It had been sunny and bright when I left, so I had on sun glasses. I was on a very long, very straight bridge that was low to the water when it occurred to me that it was very dark outside. I took off my sunglasses, and that didn't help. I knew that wasn't right, I didn't look at the clock, but I knew it was afternoon. People driving towards me had their headlights on. Even off the bridge, the road was very straight, and I could see pretty far. Out over the water on either side, I could see gray skies in the distance, dark but less dark. The darkness on the sides of me extended forward as far as I could see. Straight ahead of me and up a slight hill was the end of the clouds, there was sunlight and blue skies. There was a sense of someone in the vehicle with me, but I didn't see them, and I don't know who, but I gestured at the patch of light ahead of us and said something along the lines of there being some hope we can get through this before the storm started.

I woke up then, and of course, felt like I was still in the dream a bit. I often wake up with a snippet of dream in my head, and it's usually forgotten by the time I get out of bed. This was different in every way. I knew this meant something, and I knew I was meant to remember it and think about it. I thought about it and several things jumped out at me. The darkness was unusual and totally unexpected. I'm terrified of storms, and in my dream, I wasn't afraid, I didn't even have a sense of foreboding. I was just cautious. I was on a bridge, I'm terrified of high bridges, I'm nervous on low bridges. I wasn't nervous at all. Since the only thing besides a solar eclipse that makes it so very dark in the middle of the day is storm clouds, I knew a storm was about to happen, but it wasn't storming. There was no rain, no wind. Since I was on a bridge, there was only one way to go, and that was straight ahead, no confusing forks in the road. Straight ahead was Hope and Light. All the things I normally fear weren't making me afraid. I knew as long as I stayed straight I'd be OK, and there wasn't really any way to veer off-course. I didn't speed up, I stayed going the speed limit (something I seldom do).

After I got up and had some coffee in me, I thought of the 23rd Psalm and the verse about 'Yea though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death...' The darkness felt like a shadow, and of course if it's caused by clouds, it is a shadow. It wasn't much of a valley, though. The hills were not very big. Just a sense that it was an abrupt and unexpected change once I came over the top of the hill. I was confused, but not really worried because I knew there was nothing I could do about it, and I knew that once I got to the blue skies, everything would be OK.

It was very weird and I'm a little rattled, as you might imagine.

On a totally separate note, something that has me a little more rattled, I got an email from DirecTV that a payment was made via telephone last night. I didn't do that! Only $42.00. Their customer service is finally open for the day, so I'm calling now.

Brooke
05-21-2015, 09:21 AM
Brooke, I'm sorry you had to experience your team losing... My Buccos seem to have a lot of experience with that so far this year. :( At least the Cards lost to Glenn's favorite team, just think how happy he is and maybe you'll feel better? :hilarious:

Believe it or not, I did think about the Tigers being Glenn's team! :lol:

And that was a very strange dream!

VAisForEagleLovers
05-21-2015, 09:33 AM
Yes, still a mite rattled by the dream. On the DirecTV front, they are pretty convinced that me or someone in my household did it. It took forever to get the guy to escalate the matter. Meanwhile, I called AmEx and we are monitoring my account for other unusual activity. It's a relatively new card and number that I've not given out to anyone. Only one person recently has even seen the card to get the information off it. So...I'll be monitoring that person as well...

Houston Baby
05-21-2015, 01:00 PM
That is strange VA, both the dream and DirecTV payment. I do not like dreams like that. Hope everything is alright. :hug:

Brooke
05-22-2015, 08:14 AM
Very strange about your card, too, VA! :crazy:

Yesterday I had to go to the dentist to get a tooth fixed that had a piece broken off. :yuck: Then I had to run some errands and go by my snl's house that my hubby is remodeling to see the results. Groceries after that and two trips to another little town to get the grandson's name put on his new Cardinals jersey. He will be so cute in it! No work done!

Today I'm taking my mother to visit my daughter in Columbia, so another free day. We'll probably do a little shopping too! Fun! If I can handle being in a car with Mom for 4 hours! :shock:

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2015, 08:40 AM
Let me know how that goes, Brooke! Next weekend I'm taking an extended weekend and taking my Mom to Hatteras, NC next weekend for a cousin's memorial service, and that will be 9+ hours in the truck with her there and 9+ back. Fortunately, she loves Eagles music and will likely nap a lot.

Witchy Woman
05-22-2015, 10:37 PM
I just had gastric sleeve surgery a few days ago, and I'm working on catching up on the Border, and a few other sites I visit regularly. Still in pain, but I'm confident I did the right thing and that the benefit will far outweigh any detriment.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-22-2015, 11:19 PM
Oh wow, WW! I had no idea! I'm glad it's going well so far, and I imagine the pain will soon fade away.

Tiffanny Twisted
05-23-2015, 01:31 AM
Prsyers and peace to you patty

AlreadyGone95
05-23-2015, 03:00 AM
Since I'm a newbie here, I'm not exactly sure how to word this.
Basically, since I got my GED last year, I've been trying to figure out what to do with the rest of my life. I want to go to college. I'm certainly intelligent enough. Because of were I live and the fact that I have a physical disability(cerebral palsy), my work options are limited. I'm not much of a social person, and the idea of college frightens me. I have an idea of what I want to major in and potential jobs afterwards, but after seeing older classmates "fail" sometimes, I'm not sure. I don't have much self confidence, so that doesn't help. I just don't know. I'm so indecisive: do I want to go to college? Community or state? Can I handle the strain and pressure? Etc. I've been through alot of turmoil, abuse, and tragedies in my life that have left me broken and scarred. I haven't gotten over that, so I'm afraid that if I do go to college, that those problems will get bigger and consume me more.

Another thing is medical issues, particularly digestive ones. Ever since I was 15, I've suffered with some type of currently undiagnosed digestive problem. The doctors around here had no clue as to what it is, so they sent me to a specialist 2 hours away. Me being the stupid 15 y/o refused to get up at 4am to be there to have tests done. Ever since then, my mom refuses to take me seriously about this problem( I lost my dad at age 11). It shows up every 2-3 months usually. Unfortunately, I'm in the middle of a bout with it this week, and I've been feeling terrible. :nausea:. Scrolling through the old photo threads of Glenn has made me feel some better, though .

VAisForEagleLovers
05-23-2015, 08:43 AM
AG95, as one who waited a year after high school before attending a technical school, I can see the value in waiting a bit. Also, the jobs I had, in food preparation and then a file clerk at an insurance company, were mundane, low paying, and generally not acceptable. They seriously motivated me to do well in technical school, and I did very well there. I went on to work at IBM, but the job I was doing became rather monotonous after about 7 or 8 years, and there wasn't much opportunity to move ahead without a four year degree. I was fortunate that IBM selected me for a special college program, but it got me another career change and into software. Since getting into software I've changed from development to test to business analysis.

The point I'm getting at here is that even when you know what you want to do, as you get into it, it can sometimes change. Pick something you're interested in and start down that path, and leave your options open. If you do go to college, when it comes time to pick electives, try to pick ones that help you keep all your options open.

I would never say you shouldn't go to college or some other form of higher education. College is best if you can swing it, but if your interest lies in something better suited to a technical school, pick one that is accredited. If you feel college would be too overwhelming, take baby steps. Get a part time job, maybe, and attend a community college where you can transfer to college after two years, or even earn an Associate Degree before moving on. Maybe don't drop yourself into it full time. If you have a college nearby, you can do the same thing and skip the community college idea.

Don't be afraid to look at job openings on job boards for entry level positions, maybe as you read the finer detail about what that career path does day to day you'll at least learn more about what you don't want to do.

Glennsallnighter
05-24-2015, 05:04 PM
Good advice VA - Hope what you choose works out well for you AG. Perhaps there is a careers teacher in your school could advise you on the path you could take. And I would imagine most colleges would be able to help you with your health issues.

WW - Welcome back - hope you are feeling better.

VA, strange dream! Hope everything is ok! Be careful with the card. I was scammed earlier this year to the tune of about 5000 Euro!

Classes are finished for this year in my school. A week of exams follow, and on Saturday....... its ORLANDO!!!!

AlreadyGone95
05-24-2015, 05:55 PM
VA and GA, (sorry I haven't figured out how to multi quote yet)
My problem is getting started. I have no clue and no one to show me how to get started looking at colleges and applying to them. My GED teacher had me check out scholarships toward the end of my mandatory 35 hours in "class". (I scored post high school levels on the assessment tests, so all I had to do was show up). I have no career counselor. Heck, I don't even no someone who went to college. I'm trying to figure this out on my own. I have no guidance. I have no clue where to start or what to do. My GED teacher had me partially fill out the NASFTA, but that's all I've done. How do I go about applying or getting financial aid? There's only one college around my rural area that easily accept GED graduates. The other one, I can get into, but I haven't taken the SAT or ACT and they don't accept students who haven't taken at least one (I can't afford to pay for the test).
Currently, I have no job. Because of my physical disability and the limited jobs available, I can't work. I want to work, but I can't handle the physical needs of the jobs here. The only jobs here are for farming. I want to major in history. I need a cushy kind of job and I thought that something along the lines of a museum curator would be ideal.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-24-2015, 10:00 PM
VA and GA, (sorry I haven't figured out how to multi quote yet)
My problem is getting started. I have no clue and no one to show me how to get started looking at colleges and applying to them. My GED teacher had me check out scholarships toward the end of my mandatory 35 hours in "class". (I scored post high school levels on the assessment tests, so all I had to do was show up). I have no career counselor. Heck, I don't even no someone who went to college. I'm trying to figure this out on my own. I have no guidance. I have no clue where to start or what to do. My GED teacher had me partially fill out the NASFTA, but that's all I've done. How do I go about applying or getting financial aid? There's only one college around my rural area that easily accept GED graduates. The other one, I can get into, but I haven't taken the SAT or ACT and they don't accept students who haven't taken at least one (I can't afford to pay for the test).
Currently, I have no job. Because of my physical disability and the limited jobs available, I can't work. I want to work, but I can't handle the physical needs of the jobs here. The only jobs here are for farming. I want to major in history. I need a cushy kind of job and I thought that something along the lines of a museum curator would be ideal.

It's different in every state, so I don't know what your options are for a community college and if they require SAT/ACT testing. Back in Virginia, I don't thinking they do, but you're required to take a placement test and if you don't score well enough, you need to take remedial classes. Given all that, they are required to accept everyone.

As for a job, that is a problem, being in such a rural area. I'm not sure what you can and can't do, but if you need a job in order to afford to take the SAT or ACT, then maybe check in with the closest unemployment office? They should have counselors there that can help you with getting a job and figuring out what you can and can't do.

Glennsallnighter
05-25-2015, 05:58 PM
An unemployment office might also be able to organise a waiver or a grant for the SAT fee, so that you could in fact take it. They do those kind of things over here a lot on the basis that you should not be denied an education purely as a result of not being able to afford it. You should investigate if there is any financial help or sponsorship available

AlreadyGone95
05-25-2015, 09:29 PM
I'll check out the unemployment agency the next time that I'm in town. The nearest city is 25 miles away, so I don't go there often, maybe twice a month. It's where the agency is located. I've got the study books for both tests (they were available very cheap on Amazon). It's different for different schools. I know that every college within a 100 mile radius, except one, requires one of the tests. I'm thinking of community college for 2 years, then a state school. I've just been dealt another blow that makes my budget even tighter. I remember checking out info about the SAT a few months ago. It said that thry only waive the fee for poor high school students.

Brooke
05-26-2015, 02:05 PM
I'm way behind here and am trying to catch up with everyone!

AG, good for you! I hope you can find a way to get in to a college. I think you have been given some very good advice here and don't have anything to add. Good luck!

WW, hope you are feeling better!

Ga, summer vacation for teachers! I've always been jealous of teachers that have the whole summer off! I'm so glad my dnl is a teacher and gets to spend the summer with our grandson! I also have several inlaws and nieces that are teachers! Enjoy!

I sure did hate to get up and come back to work this morning! I really enjoyed the last week off from work, plus the weekends and a holiday to boot! A break much needed!

Friday with my mom turned out pretty well, considering! I had told her a couple weeks before that we would go and visit my daughter one day and actually told her on Monday that we would be going on Friday. My daughter is one of her favorite grands and she is constantly asking about her, so I thought she would really enjoy it. I didn't mention it anymore and she is having short term memory loss. My sister (her caregiver) lives close by and said she wouldn't tell her till that morning that we were going because she tends to 'get sick' and not want to go anywhere and she just has to make her go wherever. So, anyway, she went over at 7:30 that morning to give her her meds and tell her to get ready. When I got there at 9 she was laying on the couch in her nightgown and had no idea why I was there! There was no big hurry so I helped her get ready and we went. She was a bit disoriented for a while and said she didn't feel well, but we went on and she was fine. So we visited and went out to lunch and then to the mall for a while. I got a wheel chair for her as she has trouble walking very far. Turned out ok. Then on the way home she asked me if one of us was sick and had been to the doctor, that being the reason for going? :brickwall: I told my sister about it and she is now concerned about her staying in her apartment alone. Sad.

The rest of my weekend was pretty good except for rain off and on! We had the son and his family and a sister/bnl/and three kids over for bar-be-cue yesterday. Then went to a nieces' softball game. All in all, a good day!

Glennsallnighter
05-27-2015, 06:52 PM
I'm looking for prayers and positive vibes, whatever.

My mother hasn't been well over the past few weeks. A UTI has made her weak, but she seemed to be recovering except for the fact that she has been slow on her feet. My brother and I have been trying to get her to go to the Doctor but she has refused point blank. She refuses any kind of home care too. And she is Dads full-time carer. Today I got an alarming call from their very good neighbour of 40 years. Apparently she was in bed 'out of it'. I went over (Hubby went over from work too) to find her coherent but a bit disorientated. Apparently she felt 'groggy' and sort of fainted/collapsed. She is not well at all but refuses to acknowledge it. I am hoping to get a house call for her tomorrow. If I can't my brother will have her admitted to hospital. Needless to say I am very worried about her, and it doesn't help that we fly to Florida on Saturday. I'm sorry I ever booked that holiday now.

L101
05-27-2015, 07:06 PM
GA - sorry to hear about your mother. Sometimes when that happens, its usually low blood sugar (happens to my mother sometimes, that's how she fell two months ago).
The best thing is to get her admitted to hospital, she probably is worried about leaving your dad and going into the actual hospital, but once she's there, she should be able to relax and get the care she needs and you can sort of enjoy your holiday. Hope you have a good time anyway.

Its just Sod's law when things like that happen when you have something planned so sending positive thoughts your way!!

Tiffanny Twisted
05-27-2015, 09:14 PM
Prayers for you at this difficult time.
It could be any y kinda of imbalance ...... meds

Glennsallnighter
05-28-2015, 06:44 AM
GA - sorry to hear about your mother. Sometimes when that happens, its usually low blood sugar (happens to my mother sometimes, that's how she fell two months ago).
The best thing is to get her admitted to hospital, she probably is worried about leaving your dad and going into the actual hospital, but once she's there, she should be able to relax and get the care she needs and you can sort of enjoy your holiday. Hope you have a good time anyway.

Its just Sod's law when things like that happen when you have something planned so sending positive thoughts your way!!

Thanks Lacken and TT. I think you are right. She also told us later on in the evening that they hadn't eaten as she was 'too busy doing some little jobs' and had intended making their meal later. I'd say its the blood sugar and maybe she needs to be rehydrated. The Doctor is calling down within the next few minutes so we will hopefully have an answer then.

WalshFan88
05-28-2015, 06:53 AM
Oh wow, I've missed a lot. Let me say well wishes to everyone who needs them and get well soon to everyone who is down and out.

-----

Everything is going ok here other than hip pain. Go see my surgeon (the first guy, not the second opinion) in July. The NSAID did nothing, the injections helped some but not as much as the first ones did.

I'm having two Ausfests this year, a smaller one in a couple weeks with just close family and friends and then the bigger one in the fall. Looking forward to rocking out and having fun with friends and family. Then I take off to Current River with my grandma/stepgrandpa. No tubing this year - my hips just cant handle it. Hope to go out in the boat some.

VAisForEagleLovers
05-28-2015, 09:15 AM
Austin, good luck with the doctor. Glad to hear the shots worked somewhat.

GA, I hope things with your mother get better. Was she always the type to avoid going to the doctor? I have read lately, and perhaps shared it here, that as people get older, they need to drink more and more water to have the same results as when they were younger, and yet a lot of elderly people intentionally drink less, whether they think about it or not, because they don't like getting up to go to the bathroom so often.

For myself, I'm in PA, at Mom's house, got in around 1am. That drive seems to get longer and longer. Being so late and a weeknight, there was little traffic, however there were a LOT of deer. Made me glad I was in a truck, since it sits up higher, the headlights shine farther and to the sides more.

Very early tomorrow morning Mom and I leave for Hatteras, NC, an even longer trip. The best route will take me within 5 miles of the house I used to own, so it'll be a surreal trip.

Brooke
05-28-2015, 10:05 AM
Ga, I'm so sorry to hear about your Mom. I hope they can figure out what's wrong soon. I can relate to what you are going through with both your parents. I'm wondering if they are really well enough to take care of themselves. Maybe you should check on getting some kind of daily help, especially with their meds. And I agree with what VA said about dehydration. I'm constantly asking my Mom if she is drinking enough water. The day I took her out I brought her her own water bottle and insisted she drink it all before the day was over. She did it, reluctantly. Thoughts and prayers for you and your parents.

Austin, good luck and hope you will be pain free soon! Have fun on the Current River! My son is headed for a weekend on it today!

VA, have a fun trip and drive careful! This morning as I opened the shade in the living room a deer was walking down our driveway and headed for one of my flower beds! Then it turned and wandered off in to the woods! I was afraid I was going to have to go out and scare it away! I love seeing them until I find they are eating things I don't want eaten! :lol:

VAisForEagleLovers
06-02-2015, 07:56 PM
Wow! Finally home from the big trip. I left Wednesday after work and returned about an hour ago. I am completely exhausted. 32 driving hours (plus a few here and there to see things on the island). The weather in Hatteras was incredible, and the memorial service was on the beach and very nice. When we got to the hotel, we got a free upgrade to a suite, so that was nice.

It was very weird to be driving through the town I lived in for over 20 years. All my friends were at work, so I couldn't even stop in to see anyone.

Glennsallnighter
06-05-2015, 12:53 PM
Brooke we have known for a while that they could do with some extra help, but up to now my Mum has stubbornly refused to accept any and has taken it as a personal affront on her ability to manage either the house or Dad whenever it has been suggested.

Update is that she has a small spinal fracture and is in a brace. She will be in hospital for another few weeks. Unfortunately Dad is completely at sea, not knowing what's going on at all. At least we have them to a point where they will accept some sort of help. I'm in Florida but am keeping in touch by phone and text, there is some move to having Dad in a daycare centre for people with Alzheimer's.at least some days a week. Mum would have snuffed at that a few months ago.

We will need closer monitoring of them both when she does get back home, as you say, hydration at that age is important as is regular meals.

Other than that (and my brother and sister are doing great work at home) I'm enjoying all that Florida has to offer!!

Brooke
06-05-2015, 01:41 PM
Ga, my mom refused help until one of her doctors gave her an ultimatum. It was either allow us to give her her meds or the nursing home! She chose us! (Which my sister is doing now and doing a great job.) I know the nursing home is probably coming sooner rather than later though. It's wonderful that all of you are there for them too! Hope you are having fun in Florida!

A busy weekend coming up for me, as usual! We are changing the look of our home and putting cedar siding on it. One side at a time. What a job! And expensive! And, when we tear off the old vinyl siding, underneath it is tons of mud dobber nests stuck to the sheeting, plus thousands of those stupid Asian beetles! Yes, we spray for them every few months! They still come! Hubby and I agreed, we will never have vinyl siding again! It's hollow behind it and there are many cracks for 'things' to go in! Fun times! :roll:

Hope the rest of you have more fun than me this weekend!

AlreadyGone95
06-08-2015, 01:50 PM
My grandparents' health is really going downhill. I have 4 sets of grandparents (2 foster sets (mom was in foster care), her real parents and my dad's). Only one grandfather is still living, but all 4 grandmothers are. The 2nd oldest(foster grandmother) is in good health. However, the other 3 and my grandfather are not in good health. All 4 are going downhill rapidly. Less than a year ago, they were doing good. Now they're not. Dementia,diabetes, infections, strokes etc are starting to take their toll. I won't be shocked to have to go to at least one funeral before the year is over.

This is really been hard on my family. My mom's biological mom is in the worst shape. She's in the nursing home because her needs are too much for my family to handle. She has bad dementia and his recently had a kidney infection and has had surgery to remove a kidney stone on top of other health problems. She doesn't have enough strength to feed herself and her demeanor has changed from a nice, friendly lady to a nasty,hateful person. This morning the nursing home staff found her with the cord of the call button wrapped around her neck.

My grandfather (pop) has had a severe stroke and also has dementia. He's still living at home. His wife has severe heart troubles and diabetes. Both are not doing well.
The oldest(dad's mom) is in good health given her age. She's still living at home, though with alot of help. Her mind is still very sharp, but her body isn't, 2 strokes and a mild heart attack. She's not able to cook,bathe herself etc.

It wouldn't be so bad or hard on me if it was just one grandparent, but there's 4 and I don't know how much time I have left with them. I've been preparing myself to expect a phone call any day with the most horrible news imaginable. I'm trying to spend time with them when I can (particularly my dad's mom), but every time I think "is this the last time I see them?" :/ :worried: :cry:.

Brooke
06-08-2015, 03:36 PM
AG, so sorry to hear about all of your grandparents. Thoughts and prayers for all.

DJ
06-08-2015, 10:49 PM
So sorry to hear about everyone's ill parent/grandparent. It's very hard to care for a sick parent. I begged my Mom for months to see a Dr. It was hard because we lived 3 hours apart. When I finally just told her I was coming to get her and take her it was devastating news. So I brought her home to live with me the last 3 mo's of her life. Hard but very rewarding work. I send my blessings to you all you all that have these challenges. Peace

In other news....It was 100 here in the Rockies today and man you could feel it. My dogs did nothing but hang in the house all day. I didn't even venture out because of my Lupus.. Otherwise both kids back in the house for summer and looking forward to a family wedding soon. Should be fun times.

AlreadyGone95
06-10-2015, 06:39 PM
There was a fire at my grandmother's nursing home. There was a short in an electrical unit in a patient's room. Luckily, the sprinkler system did its job well, and no one was hurt. They had to shut down the wing that my grandma was in, and she's not happy about being relocated to another part of the nursing home.

VAisForEagleLovers
06-13-2015, 08:49 PM
What's happenin' with me? Addiction can be a terrible thing... I found a station that airs the TV series JAG, and set the DVR to auto-record. Five shows in one day, and that's it for the last two weeks, which was like taunting me. I watched all five shows this afternoon and was so desperate for more, I ordered the entire series on DVD from Amazon. This is a bad thing! What's to stop me from sitting and watching them all, over and over??? Fortunately for me, this is the only show I've ever been addicted to, so it could be worse.

DivineDon
06-14-2015, 06:05 AM
I haven't been on this page for a while - I hope everyone's families are well.

Still trying to get my own meds sorted - my thyroid has now gone underactive so I'm exhausted all the time and I'm back in College again with that thesis still hanging over me! I have a deadline for 'the end of August' (thinking of that line from WITW of course!)

GA so sorry to hear about your mum - it's such a worry. I hope you managed to enjoy your trip even though you were probably thinking of home all the time. Please God, things will get sorted.:angel: