PDA

View Full Version : GF on JD Souther Debut Album

OutlawManNJ
08-21-2013, 12:31 AM
Picked up at a Thrift store a copy of a 1972 JD Souther (author of a few Eagles songs) album. Its his debut LP and on it Frey plays on various tracks. Paid $1 for it. The album also includes a later Eagle hit, How Long.

http://eil.com/images/main/John+David+Souther+%2D+John+David+Souther+%2D+CD+A LBUM-31877.jpg

Glennsallnighter
08-21-2013, 03:49 AM
Lovely find OMNJ. Enjoy listening to it, I'd love to hear some of the songs!

VAisForEagleLovers
08-21-2013, 07:28 AM
Ooohhhh, good find, OMNJ. I keep thinking I need to get out to record stores to see what I can find, but never do.

Ive always been a dreamer
08-21-2013, 04:56 PM
Very cool find, OMNJ - and quite a steal for a buck!

OutlawManNJ
08-22-2013, 04:50 PM
and now i happened to find GF Allnighter on vinyl for a whopping 25 cents in great condtion at a thrift store. not an easy find but there it was.

Houston Baby
08-22-2013, 07:26 PM
WOW OMNJ! You need to go buy some lottery tickets with all that good luck going on for you! Great finds! :thumbsup:

OutlawManNJ
08-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Amazing how JD in this 1972 album sounds like GF. Or is it the other way around. They have that same Michigan twang...maybe they spent too much time together I dunno. But these are easily GF type songs.

Prettymaid
08-23-2013, 09:11 AM
Amazing how JD in this 1972 album sounds like GF. Or is it the other way around. They have that same Michigan twang...maybe they spent too much time together I dunno. But these are easily GF type songs.

Interesting observation, OMNJ. I think you're onto something in that they sound alike because their musical influences were the same at the time and they were always together!

Ive always been a dreamer
08-23-2013, 12:18 PM
Awesome that you found The Allnighter on vinyl too, OMNJ. What a deal - but I will say that many of us who are familiar with all of Glenn's solo work do not rate this one among his best albums. I don't know if you have listened to any of Glenn's other albums, but I'd love to hear your thoughts on it. We have a thread dedicated to the album ...

https://www.eaglesonlinecentral.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1663

sodascouts
08-23-2013, 11:33 PM
JD grew up in Texas and has a Texas drawl. I actually think Glenn adopted more of a Texas twang by hanging with JD than JD adopting any of Glenn's Michigan stylings, despite the fact he too was born there.

I have the CD and really like it. You got a steal, OMNJ!

Glennsallnighter
08-24-2013, 05:24 AM
Kind of on the same topic, I managed to pick up a vinyl of 'Longbranch Pennywhistle' the other night on eBay. Looking forward to hearing it!

Houston Baby
08-24-2013, 10:05 AM
Awesome find GA!

I found I had a copy of the 'Longbranch Pennywhistle' lp when I had to clean out my parent's house. My mom saved everything and I mean EVERYTHING - cards, letters, schoolwork, pictures, journals, toys, records.

GlennLover
08-24-2013, 10:47 PM
Wow, GA & HB! I thought that I had scored a vinyl copy on eBay too, but when I received it, I discovered that it was a CD. I guess it pays to read the small print, although it wasn't mentioned on the first page of the post. Even so, I was glad to get it on CD. :)

sad-cafe
09-02-2013, 08:53 PM
That would be cool.

I would also LOVE to get a copy of Shiloh

GlennLover
09-02-2013, 08:58 PM
That would be cool.

I would also LOVE to get a copy of Shiloh

So would I! I liked the little bit I heard of them in the HotE doc.

sad-cafe
09-08-2013, 12:13 AM
So would I! I liked the little bit I heard of them in the HotE doc.

Me too especially Swamp River Country and Simple Little Down Home Rock and Roll Love Song for Rosie